Link to ALHN Town of Alexandria site
Link to official TOWN OF ALEXANDRIA website, which includes Town Clerk and Town Historian pages.
A detailed 1864 town MAP showing residents. (906K file)
An 1864 map of Alexandria Bay
An 1864 map of The Hamlet of Plessis
An 1864 map of The Hamlet of Redwood
1918 TOWN OF ALEXANDRIA FARM MAP
A list of POSTMASTERS in the town in existing and discontinued postoffices.
1863 Civil war draft and exemption lists
Town of Alexandria Civil War Servicemen
Town of Alexandria 1890 Census of Civil War Veterans
Businesses in Alexandria Bay in 1867-68
Businesses in Redwood in 1867-68
Family sketches from CHILD'S GAZETTEER for the town of Alexandria.
Child's Business Directory for the Town of Alexandria
Haddock's Family Sketches -Town of Alexandria
Bartlett's Cemetery Inscriptions for the Town of Alexandria
Vital Records 1847-1849 for the Town of Alexandria
TOWN OF ALEXANDRIA CHRONOLOGICAL CALENDAR
Compiled by Hazel McMane, former Town of Alexandria Historian, noting the events each anniversary year since 1818.
Supervisors of the Town of Alexandria
From the Town Historian's Office. All the early records for the Town of Alexandria are lost, but it is known that James Shurtliff was the first town supervisor; Ashley Tanner, assessor; and Allen Cole and Joel Parker inspectors of elections. This is a list of supervisors from the organization of the town, as given in Hough's 1854 History of Jefferson County, supplemented by Hazel McMane, Town Historian.
|Town Historian||GRETA SLATE||(315) 482-9519||46372 Old Goose Bay Road; Alexandria Bay; 13607|
|Town Clerk||JESSY HUDON||(315) 482-9519||46372 Old Goose Bay Road, Alexandria Bay 13607|
|Village Clerk||MOLLY BRIERE||(315) 482-9902||110 Walton St, Alexandria Bay 13607|
|MacSherry Library||CEIL CUNNINGHAM||(315) 482-2241||112 Walton St, Alexandria Bay NY 13607|
|Thousand Islands Sun (Weekly newspaper)||JEANNE SNOW||482-2581||Rt 12; Alexandria Bay; 13607|
|Alexandria Township Hist Society & Museum||MARTHA GRIMES||(315) 482-4586||Cornwall Brothers Bldg, Market St., Alexandria Bay NY 13607|
History of the Town of Alexandria linked from Shirley Farone's Home Page taken from CHILD'S GAZETTEER OF JEFFERSON COUNTY by HAMILTON CHILDS, published in 1890, transcribed by Shirley Farone.
History of the Town of Alexandria, from Durant and Peirce's History of Jefferson County, 1878.A List of People who contributed information about the Town of Alexandria in 1878 to Durant and Peirce's History of Jefferson County
History of the Town of Alexandria from "Ray's Place", as found in OUR COUNTY AND ITS PEOPLE by EDGAR C. EMERSON, 1898.
History of the Town of Alexandria, taken from A HISTORY OF JEFFERSON COUNTY IN THE STATE OF NEW YORK by FRANKLIN B. HOUGH, A. M., M.D., linked from Shirley Farone's Home Page.
The Town of Alexandria occupies the northeast corner of Jefferson County, and contains the majority of the Thousand Islands. It is bounded on the northwest by the St Lawrence River, and thus has a Canadian boundary. On the northeast lies St. Lawrence County, on the southeast is the Town of Theresa, and the Town of Orleans completes the boundary to the St Lawrence River again.
Town offices are located near Alexandria Bay, the principal village, and a resort town. Hamlets Plessis and Redwood both have postoffices and churches. Alexandria Bay has four village cemeteries: Church Street Cemetery, in good condition; Walton Street Cemetery in the village itself which is in poorer condition. Highland Park and St. Cyril's cemeteries, side by side, are in current use and in excellent condition. Redwood has two cemeteries in excellent condition, the Redwood Cemetery and St. Francis Xavier. Plessis also maintains a cemetery in excellent condition.
Rural cemeteries include Barnes Settlement, excellent condition; Brown's Corners, very good; Tanner's Corners, old but well maintained; Wellesley Island or Riverside Cemetery on Wellesley Island, excellent; Houghton Cemetery, well cared for, and Kepler Cemetery, overgrown and hard to find. See listing for cemetery records.
In 1804, James D. Le Ray set aside a mile square of land on the present site of Alexandria Bay for a settlement, although it was not laid out in lots until 1818. The first improvements in the town were in 1811, when Mr. Le Ray had land cleared for future settlers, and raised a crop of grain. The War of 1812 delayed settlement until 1816, when sales of land started at $3.00 per acre.
The Towns of Alexandria, Orleans and Philadelphia were all set off from the Town of Brownville 3 April 1821. The Town of Alexandria was named for Alexander, the son of Mr. Le Ray, the original proprietor. Redwood was the site of an 1833 glass factory, which was locally famous for several years. Plessis, located three miles from Redwood, owes its name to a locality in France. A farming community, it has a church and post office.
From the 1864 Jefferson County Atlas: a summary of statistics for Alexandria ACRES OF LAND Improved 19,168 Unimproved 18,263 VALUATION Real Estate $309,591 Personal Property 41,490 Total 351,081 POPULATION Males 1,807 Females 1,716 Number of Dwellings 606 Number of Families 648 Freeholders 369 SCHOOLS Number of Districts 21 Children Taught 1,553 LIVE STOCK Horses 770 Working Oxen and Calves 1,761 Cows 2,200 Sheep 2,689 Swine 1,022 AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS Bushels of Grain Winter 7,838 Spring 51,926 1/2 Tons of Hay 5,055 1/2 Bushels of Potatoes 7,518 Bushels of Apples 932 Dairy Products Pounds of Butter 183,209 Pounds of Cheese 48,366 YARDS OF DOMESTIC MANUFACTURE 3,903
Names of the early settlers
Arnold, Sarah (Sally)
Beardsley/Birdsley, Charles *
Beardsley/Birdsley, Jabez *
Beardsley/Birdsley, John *
Bigelow, Abel *
Briggs, Clark *
Briggs, David *
Carrier, Jerry *
Clark, Jason *
Cole, Allen *
Cornwall, Andrew *
Davidson, John D. *
DILLENBACH, Jacob H.
ECKER, Adam G.
Goodell, Nathaniel *
Hardy, Erastus *
Helmer, John Jr.
Hinman, Reuben *
Hoadley, Leicester *
Hosner, Nicholasand Abigail
a and Dolly (Wallradt)
Houghton, Joseph *
Hubbard, Horatio *
Huntington, Joseph *
Jewett, Moses C. *
Loucks, Peter *
Lutz, Peter *
Makepeace, Solomon *
Martin, Austin *
Martin, William *
Merrill, William *
Morse, Samuel *
Morse, Silas *
Morseman, Martin T.*
Mcallister, Alexander *
Newman, Abraham *
Norton, John *
Peoples, Jabez *
Putnam, John A.
Rappole, George *
Rhodes, John *
Rich, Jarius *
|Root, Elijah * |
Rundlet, Charles *
Stickney, Thomas *
Storm, Rev. William
Stowe, Elder *
Sykes, John J.
Van Camp, Maria
Wagoner, Jacob Abeel
Wagoner, Jacob Peter
Walton, Azariah *
Wharry, Daniel *
Young, Samuel *
NOTE! Names marked with an asterisk (*) are taken from Edgar C. Emerson's OUR COUNTY AND ITS PEOPLE, published 1898.
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page
Copyright 2009 - 2015 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project