Compiled by Hazel McMane, Town of Alexandria Historian, noting the events each anniversary year since 1818.
A mile square, suitable for the village of Alexandria Bay, was laid out by James LeRay and surveyed by Edmund Tucker. The first log house in Plessis was erected by William Merrill. It was later converted to an inn. The first tavern and storehouse were erected at Alexandria Bay. The first log house in Alexandria Bay was erected by John W. Fuller.
An unfortunate "sick season" occurred throughout the town which greatly retarded the settlement for a number of years. A custom house was established at this port, subordinate to Cape Vincent, because even at this date merchandize was entering from Canada, some of which was subject to duty. By this date, the earliest settlers included Azariah Walton, who began mercantile operations at this time. Alexandria Bay had become established as a wooding station for steamers.
The burning of the "Sir Robert Peel" occurred during the Patriot's War.
Charles Crossmon commenced hotel keeping at Alexandria Bay, the Crossmon House continuing to the present date (c1948). The Reformed Protestant Dutch Society tentatively organized, and church edifice construction began. St. Francis Xavier's Roman Catholic Church at Redwood was organized.
According to the "Kingston Standard" the river at this date reached a record high level mark.
The first Redwood Glass Factory was destroyed by fire.
Incorporation of Alexandria Bay established by a vote of 29 for and 1 against. Survey made by Reverend George Rockwell. First Village officers: President, Charles Walton; Trustees, James Cline, Elisha W. Visger, William H. Thompson; Clerk, Harvey Cornwall. Population of Alexandria Bay 683 according to census taken by Isaac L. Everson. The village contained at this time: 3 general stores of Cornwall Bros., Sisson & Fox, William J. Woodworth; 2 magnificent hotels, the Thousand Island House and the Crossmon House, a harness shop, 2 blacksmiths, a wagon shop, a steam saw and plaster mill, 2 churches, a public school, post office, telegraph office, a line of steamers operating out of this port and other places necessary to the maintenance of a fashionable summer resort.
The building to be used by the Fire Department and village was erected, the Fire Department having been organized. The first Fireman's Ball was held. Alexandria Bay Steamboat Company incorporated with a capital of $30,000 for the purpose of maintaining a line of steamers to operate out of Alexandria Bay. Two boats were put into use, continuing for about ten years.
Redwood Union School graduated its first class.
Redwood Fire Department organized. By this year new developments in Alexandria Bay brought to completion includes: Louis Tassey introduced the marine gas engine and was engaged in the manufacturing of the same. The Miller Block was under construction. The I.O.O.F. Temple construction was completed and building dedicated. The area from Washington Street was purchased for development. The Walton residence on Market Street was remodeled as an inn. The Alexandria Bay Cornet Band was organized. Vrooman & Kepler purchased Fox's Emporium. Quarrying operations were under way at the granite quarry on the Miller property. A new town clock was installed in the tower of the Reformed Church, it being financed by subscription. Putnam & Kellett purchased the interest of Thomas H. Donald in the firm and was thereafter known as Putnam & Kellett. The level of the river was considered as very high. Plans were under consideration for the construction of the bank building. The Gold Challenge Cup was won by Dixie II, bringing that trophy to the Thousand Island Yacht Club where it would be defended the following season. The Board of Trade was organized.
Alexandria contributed generously to the World War effort. The local branch of the American Red Cross was very active in fulfilling its required quota of war material. City delivery of mail was instituted at Alexandria Bay. The influenza epidemic swept the community.
New Alexandria Bay High School on Bolton Avenue was dedicated. Plans were under way at this time for an international bridge at Collins Landing.
The Memorial in honor of the men and women who served their country during World War 1917-1918 was unveiled at Alexandria Bay. The International Bridge at Collins Landing was dedicated. The work of beautifying the grounds of the John B. Lyman Post 904 American Legion property was completed. The old ship yard buildings on Walton Street were razed.
Plans were under consideration for the construction of a new hospital at Alexandria Bay.
Return to Jefferson County NYGenWeb page
Return to Town of Alexandria
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact: Nancy Dixon
http://jefferson.nygenweb.net/alexchr.htm updated October 30, 2018
Copyright © 1997 — 2018 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
Copyright 2017 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page