Biographical information was extracted from Edgar C. Emerson's Our County and Its People, 1898, by Marilyn Sapienza!
FITCH, FRANCIS N.:
was born in Fulton County, NY in 1839. He began studying law in Johnstown, NY and was admitted to practice in 1863. He located in Cape Vincent and remained there for ten years. After that period he resided in Watertown, NY and for several years was the managing clerk for Hon. F. W. Hubbard. His legal specialty was government claims.
GATES, EDWARD M.:
was born in Lewis County, NY in February, 1843. When he was five years old, his parents removed to Watertown, NY where he attended public schools and accepted employment from A. M. Utley. He remained in that position for ten years. After he had saved a large portion of his earnings he removed to San Francisco, CA in 1861 and opened a clothing business. Edward continued in that business until 1864, when he sold out and returned to Watertown, where he opened a grocery business on Court Street and continued in that enterprise for four years. In 1873, the hardware firm of Gates & Spratt was formed and operated for 17 years. He was elected as City Clerk in 1869; three years later he was appointed deputy collector of internal revenue. In 1882, he was appointed postmaster by President Arthur and reappointed by President Harrison in 1890. The post office building in Watertown was built with appropriations he was able to garner for the project. Edward was a director of the Jefferson County Bank, a stockholder and director of the Watertown Spring Wagon Co., and one of the initiators of the Watertown Street Railroad.
REEVES, GEORGE W.:
was born at Pillar Point on 13 February 1866. His early life was spent on the farm and for about three years he learned the carpenter's trade. George began teaching as a country district schoolmaster and taught for several years, the last year as principal of the Union Free School at Rodman. When he was 27, he began law studies in the office or Rogers and Atwell in Watertown and stayed with that firm until he was admitted to the bar in July, 1896. He then began practicing law at 43 Savings Bank Building, Watertown, NY.
ROGERS, WATSON M.:
was born in Cape Vincent on 3 December 1846, the son of Fordyce M. and Eleanor (Van Nostrand) Rogers. Fordyce was a native of Massachusetts and Eleanor was a native of Jefferson County. Watson was a student in the Watertown High School and attended the Jefferson County Institute. He began his law studies in 1867 and that year enter the Albany Law School where he graduated in 1868. He studied in the office of Hammond & Winslow of Watertown and in 1873 was associated with Frederick Lansing, but the partnership dissolved when Lansing was elected to Congress from 1874 to 1880. In January, 1892, Watson took Joseph Atwell as a co-partner.
HANCHETTE, WILLIAM D.:
was a native of Watertown, NY where he was born 6 February 1851. He was educated in the public schools of that city. His first employment was that of a messenger boy with the Montreal Telegraph Company which later merged into Western Union and Great Northwestern Telegraph Company. Eventually he became the manager of the Watertown office. In 1883 he was elected city chamberlain where he served for five years and then became superintendent of the Central NY Telephone and Telegraph Co.
WALTS, CHARLES H.:
was born in Pamelia in 1839, son of William Walts and Louisa Allen who migrated from Otsego Co. at an early day to Jefferson County. After attending Jefferson County schools and the Jefferson County Institute, he began his law studies in the office of Clark & Calvin and entered Albany Law School where he received his diploma in 1861 with a B.L. Degree. He began his practice in Theresa but moved to Watertown where he formed a partnership with Judge. W. F. Hubbard, and that continued until February, 1877 at which point he joined William F. Porter and they formed the firm of Porter & Walts, an association that continued until January 1, 1897. In February, 1897 he formed a partnership with Fred. B. Pitcher. Charles was elected to the bench in 1877 and re-elected in 1883. Judge Walts served three years as city attorney.
BEAN, GEORGE R.:
removed to Watertown with his parents, of Otsego County, when he was two years of age. George married in July 1877 to Myra Nelson of Pulaski, NY. He was educated in the public schools and entered the service of Dexter & Herrick, who were in the flour and feed business. George worked with them for 17 years. In 1885, he opened his own business and formed the firm of George R. Bean & Co., which continued for nine years, when it was succeeded by Robins, Bean & Makepeace. The company owned and operated the only electric mill in the county where all types of grain was ground except wheat.
BALL, HENRY M.:
was born in Rutland in June, 1820. Henry was married twice: his first wife of Mehetable Burnham whom he married in March, 1843; she died inm April 1871. In 1873 he married Eunice D. Drullard of Buffalo, N.Y. Henry moved to Watertown as a boy and was educated in the public schools and one term at the Watertown Academy. In 1839 he was offered a position in the store of Stephen Johnson of Depauville, where he worked for two years. In 1841 he returned to Watertown and worked with Walter N. Woodruff in the grocery business. In two years the store was dissolved and Henry returned to the farm, where he remained for several years.
ZIMMER, JOHN OTTO:
was born in the town of Alexandria on 10 July 1868, son of George (born in Germany) and Anna Zimmer (born in Watertown) who migrated to the US in 1866. John married Bertha E. Countryman of Watertown on 23 September 1891. John was a leading tailor of Watertown, who turned out a very superior class of work. He carried only the highest grades of fabrics and employed ten to fifteen skilled workmen.
was born 9 December 1842 in Canada. His parents moved to Watertown in 1850 where they remained about one month. Peter then moved to Rutland where he farmed until 1871. In November 1871, he married Josephine Becker of Natural Bridge, NY. After 1871, Peter moved to Watertown where he established a livery business. Peter, a member of the GAR, served in Co. A., 10th Regiment NY Vols. During the Civil War.
FULLER, GEORGE F.:
was a native of Rutland were he was born in October, 1865. He attended district schools and also learned the grocery and meat business as an employee of George McComber. After seven years with McComber, he worked for Fred Fuess for ten years. At that point he opened his own business with Mr. Dryden under the name of Fuller & Dryden.
RHODES, ORLO B.:
was born in Scriba, Oswego Co., NY on 14 January 1849. He was the only child of Schuyler Rhodes and Amanda M. Sherman. After attending schools in Oswego he entered Brown University at 17 and graduated in the class of 1870. He was vice-principal of Hungerford Collegiate Institute at Adams in Jefferson Co., which opened in September of that year. After a year at Morgan Park Military Academy in Morgan Park, Illinois, in 1882, Orlo returned to Adams and the Hungerford Collegiate Institute. He remained principal until July 16, 1894 when he became editor of the Watertown Daily Standard.
ADAMS, CHARLES L.:
was born in Wisconsin in 1852. A graduate of Hamilton College, he taught for several years. In 1878 he move to Watertown and entered the law office of John Lansing, until he was admitted to the bar in 1882. Charles was appointed city attorney in 1884 and 1889 and surrogate in November, 1895.
SEAVER, ALANSON D.:
was born in Watertown, NY in 1845, the son of William Seaver and Eliza French. His parents were Vermont natives and early settlers of Watertown. Alanson D. was apprenticed at the machinist's trade and worked for many years at the Davis Sewing Machine Company as a tool maker. He was elected country treasurer in 1884 and 1887, and city clerk for one year. He associated with Frank H. Munson under the firm name of Munson & Seaver, who were city agents for the Agricultural Insurance Company.
was born in Oswego Co., NY on 29 November 1839. He attended West Winfield and Cazenovia Seminaries and in 1860 entered Hamilton College. Ill health forced him to withdraw but in the fall of 1893, he re-entered Hamilton and graduated third in his class in 1866. In the fall of 1866 he entered the law department of the University of Michigan, where he studied for one year. In 1869 he entered the law department of Hamilton College and in 1870 was admitted to practice in the state Supreme Court of NY. It was July 1, 1874 when he formed a law practice with Gen. Bradley Winslow and they partnered until 1877. From 1877 to 1892 he had a solo practice but in July 1892, he formed a copartnership with son, Edward N. Smith, under the firm name of Smith & Smith. Hannibal served on several directorate boards for various firms in Watertown.
CHEESMAN, BYRON C., M.D.:
was born in Jefferson County in 1856. He also attended the Hungerford Collegiate Institute. In 1876 he became a student of Dr. J. R. Sturtevant and then took a course at the University of Vermont at Burling, followed by his entry into the College of Physicians and Surgeons in Baltimore, Md. His M.D. Was awarded in the class of 1880. Immediately he began practice at DePauville in Jefferson Co. where he stayed for ten years and in 1894 moved to Watertown.
was born in Farmersville, Ontario in 1854. His early years included working, teaching school and attending school. In 1874, he was an apprentice in the Carthage Republican; two years later he was the local editor and then became associate editor, which led to his political editorship of the Watertown Daily Times. He saw the necessity of a strong weekly paper which had a large circulation so he purchased the Carthage Leader, Copenhagen News, Clayton Free Press and the Jefferson County Herald which was in Theresa; all were merged into the Watertown Herald beginning in 1886. Jere married Marian Montgomery on 18 July 1878. One of the many features he introduced into the local journalism was a photo-engraving plant, which was in the hands of his brother, an artist of considerable ability.
LANCE, GEORGE A.:
was born in Little Falls, NY on 4 January 1850. His early education was meager but he was apprenticed to the printer's trade and after that to telegraphy. The NYC Railroad was his employer for several years. In 1866 he was in charge of the business of the American Telegraph Company at Troy, NY until they consolidated wit Western Union and then George was employed by Western Union. He moved to Watertown in 1871 and in 1873 was hired by Gilderoy Lord to take charge of his foundry and machine shop, where he remained until 1882. At that time he purchased the Watertown Woolen Mill and began the manufacture of yarn. George married Florence Peck, the daughter of A. W. Peck of Watertown, who was an ex-member of the Assembly and ex-sheriff of Jefferson County.
CONDE, W. W.:
began his hardware business in Watertown in 1878 and for about five years was at No. 10. Washington Street. In 1883 he bought the Belknap & Lewis stock, at No. 3 Public Square. His employees number sixteen men and occupied the entire building of five floors and a large brick warehouse in the rear, which also contained five floors.
WALKER, GEORGE H.:
was born in Brownville in 1859, the son of Joseph T. Walker and Dorcas Bailey. Joseph and Dorcase were natives of England, having first located in Massachusetts and then in Jefferson County. After graduation from the Watertown High School, George attended Wesleyan University in Middletown, Connecticut, and graduated in 1881. He studied law with Mullin & Griffin and was admitted to the bar in 1884. In 1887 he was appointed deputy county clerk. The firm of Mullin, Griffin & Walker continued from 1892 until its senior member died in 1897. George was the United States Circuit Court Commissioner from 1892; and he served as director of the City National Bank. His last law firm was Purcell, Walker & Burns.
was born in Watertown, NY on 16 November 1870, son of John Burns, a mason, builder and president of the Trades Assembly. After graduation from Watertown High School in 1888, Thomas entered the office of Judge O'Brien and James A. Ward, where he remained until January of 1891. In that year he entered Cornell University, and completed a full course in the law school. While attending Cornell, and in the fall of 1892, he was admitted to the bar. Upon completion of his studies at Cornell he returned to Mullin & Griffin as their managing clerk. George H. Walker, deputy clerk, entered into partnership at the firm. Thomas continued with the firm until Mr. Griffin died in April 1897. After the death of Senator Joseph Mullin of the firm, Thomas was admitted to the firm of Purcell, Walker and Burns. The focus of the practice was large corporate interest, railroads, banks, and the State of New York in actions brought to recover over a million dollars in penalties from Armour & Co, for violations of the oleomargarine laws of the State.
SABIN, GEORGE G., M.D.:
was born in Ontario, Wayne Co., NY on 28 November 1838. His education was at the Palmyra Union School and the Macedon Academy. He enlisted in Co. D, 6th Ohio Vols., and served for three years; after two months at home he re-enlisted in the 9th NY Heavy Artillery, and served one year. He returned to Wayne County and entered the practice of his uncle, Dr. Samuel A. Sabin, as a student and remained for one year. Then he entered the University of Michigan Medical Department and received his MD in 1868. His practice began immediately at Denmark, Lewis Co., NY but he moved in 1894 to Watertown to practice. For eight years Dr. Sabin was the health officer of the town of Rutland and president of the Jefferson Co., Medical Society in 1885. In 1897 he was elected county physician and began his duties on 1 January 1898.
OGSBURY, WILSON D.:
was born 11 February 1869 at Pamelia, Jefferson Co., son of Edmund K. Ogsbury and Majina Gove. On 28 November 1894 he married Harriet B. Robinson. Wilson spent his boyhood on the farm and in 1891 moved to Watertown where he became a prominent real estate dealer, highly respected in the community.
THOMPSON, EDWARD H.:
was born in Martinsburg, Lewis Co., NY in September 1835. After completing his schooling, he went to New Haven, Connecticut to take up portrait painting under Wales Hotchkiss, where he remained for three years, which he had to give up due to his defective eyesight. In 1859 he moved to Watertown and entered into the retail grocery business with Mr. Tyler. They partnered until 1866 when Edward bought out his partner's interest and conducted the business alone until 1892 when he partnered with J. W. Van Camp and L. J. McDonald; the firm became one of the largest in northern New York. Edward married in November 1860 to Mary E. Isham; she died in 1863 and he married second in May, 1866 to Mary A. Hopkins.
HERRICK, REV. OSGOOD EATON, M.A., D.D.:
was born in Windsor, VT on 25 April 1826. He moved to Jefferson County with his father in 1839 and in 1846 to Watertown. His ordination in the Protestant Episcopal Chruch was by Bishop DeLancey on 15 June 1851. In that year Osgood became the rector of Emmanuel Church in Adams. In 1853 he became the rector of Christ Church in Manius, NY.; in 1856 he was the rector of St. Paul's Church in Key West, FL where he remained for thirteen years. In 1864, President Lincoln had him appointed as post chaplain in the U.S. Army. In 1870 he was ordered to Fort Warren, Boston, MA and in 1875 to Fortress Monroe, Virginia where he remained for fifteen years until his retirement on 25 April 1890. The degrees of M.A. And D.D. Were conferred on him by Hobart College in Geneva, NY. On 16 May 1853 he married Charlotte Willard Smith.
SHEPARD, WILLIAM J.:
was born in Boston, MA on 23 August 1854, son of James Shepard and Sophia Gassner. When he was ten years of age his parents moved to Watertown, and William remained in that location. He was actively involved in a number of businesses, public offices and community affairs. He purchased the insurance business of Joseph Atwell which he operated until March 1893, when he co-partnered with Myron Beebee under the firm name of Beebee & Shepard. In February, 1884 he married Margaret Nellis, who was the daughter of Azariah and Margaret Nellis of Newark, NY. William and Margaret had three daughters: Helen, Pauline and Josephine.
was born in Watertown in October, 1864. He attended public schools and entered Amherst College in 1883, where he graduated with honors in 1886. Robert studied law in his father's office and was admitted to the bar at Utica in 1889. He and his father co-partnered under the firm name Lansing & Lansing. Robert was one of the associate counsel for the United States before the Bering Sea Arbitration in Paris in 1892, and one of the government counsel before the Bering Sea Claim Commission at Victoria, B.C, in 1896 and at Halifax in 1897. His legal services included serving as counsel for the Mexican legation in Washington and also that of the Chinese. Robert married in January, 1890 to Eleanor Foster, daughter of ex-Secretary of State, John W. Foster, of Washington D.C.
FIELD, BRAYTON A.:
was born in Hounsfield in 1853, son of Safford E. Field and Phoebe Allen, Hounsfield being the native town of his parents. The grandparents were natives of Vermont and Safford's father located at Field's Settlement in 1806. One his mother's side, his ancestors were descendants from Ethan Allen stock; on his father's side, they were a branch of that family of which David Dudley and Stephen Field were members. Brayton A. graduated from Watertown High School in 1873 and Dartmouth College in 1878. He became the principal of Proctor Academy in Andover, N.H. But in 1883 he began the study of law with O'Brien and Emerson. His admission to the bar was on 20 April 1886 and his practice was in Watertown.
HARRINGTON, ERNEST E.:
was a native of Jefferson County, son of H. H. Harrington and Mary Cooper, who were natives of the county. Ernest graduated from the Pennsylvania College of Dental Surgery of Philadelphia in 1881. After two years of practice in Philadelphia, he moved to Watertown. His brother, Miles C., graduated from the same college in 1888 and they formed an association in Watertown. Dr. Harrington was elected a member of the Board of Education in 1894 and again in 1897 for another three-year term.
KELLOW, W. J., M.D.:
was born in Bruce County, Ontario Canada on 15 September 1859. He was educated at St. Catherine's Collegiate Institute and the Toronto Medical College where he graduated in 1882; he worked in the Toronto General Hospital for six months. Afterward, he came to the United States and practice for a year and a half in Edwards and from 1883 to 1890 in Harrisville. After six months in New York, where he spent time in various hospitals and the Post Graduate Medical School and Hospital, he moved to Watertown. Dr. Kellow was a member of the Jefferson Co. Medical Society and the City Medical Society.
BUSH, FRANK H.:
was born in Philadelphia, NY on 27 September 1859. After leaving school, he served an apprenticeship at the painter's trade and was in the painting trade for thirteen years. In 1895 he bought an interest in his brother's grocery business under the firm name of F. V. Bush & Co. Frank married on 10 January 1882 to Rosa B. Giegerich of Watertown. Their only daughter, Mildred was born there.
ECKHOFF, JOHN N.:
was born on 31 May 1857 in Germany. His education was obtained in his native country, where he was apprenticed to the blacksmith trade and served in the trade until 1879. In that year he emigrated to the United States and settled in New York until 1885, when he moved to Watertown and found employment as a smith. His business was in part of the brick factory of the Harmon Machine Co., where he did heavy blacksmithing and employed from three to five workmen. In December, 1881, he married Mary Wallace, a native of Belfast, Ireland.
TUCKER, ORA W.:
was born in 1862 in Jefferson County. After a public school education he was engaged in the meat business at Adams, NY. In 1892 he moved to Watertown and formed a partnership with Levi Washburn under the name Tucker & Washburn. In 1897, Tucker sold his interest and the firm became Tucker & Jennings, a leading meat dealer in the city.
WISE, JAMES B.:
was born in Bradford, Connecticut on 27 December 1858 and moved to Watertown, NY with his parents in 1869. After high school, he attended a commercial college and left to start his business. He owned and managed a newspaper and fruit sales on trains that ran out of Watertown, and later on the Rome, Watertown and Ogdensburg trains that ran out of Oswego westward. He continued in that business until 1877 and then returned to Watertown where he became involved in his father's business. When his father died, James purchased the other half from the heirs and continued in his own name. James served in various public offices. He served as president of the Singer Fire Alarm Company and also president of the Watertown Brass and Manufacturing Company. In 1891 he purchased the factory building he occupied on Mill Street, producing light hardwares and specialties. In 1881 he married Hattie C. Willard, daughter of George Willard of Watertown. Their two sons: Charles Ralph and Earl W.
was born in Watertown in 1848, son of Judge Joseph Mullin. He attended schools in Watertown and the Polytechnic Institute in Troy, N.Y. His preliminary law studies were in his father's office and were continued in Judge M. H. Merwin's office. His admission to the bar occurred in 1871 and for a period of time he was associated in practice with Judge Merwin. In 1876 he partnered with Daniel G. Griffin under the firm name of Mullin & Griffin.
RAMSAY, HORATIO A.:
was born in Morristown, St. Lawrence Co., NY on 26 January 1861. Educated in the public schools and at age 21, he began the study of architecture in the office of George E. Wilson of Ogdensburg where he remained for two years and then to the office of James H. Moore and A. L. Schellenger in Chicago Illinois. He was associated with Edgerton S. Rogers, son of the celebrated sculptor, Randolph Rogers. In 1895 he moved to Watertown and his first design was the city hall. Addison F. Lansing and he formed a co-partnership in 1896. The firm of Lansing & Ramsay had been the designer of the Church of the Redeemer and beautiful city residences. The Woodruff House was remodeled from their plans; Bagley & Sewell's office; Stewart Lansing and Rev. A. M. Dulles residences.
TULLER, EDWARD R.:
was born in Mexico, Oswego Co., NY on 28 March 1853. He attended public schools and the Oswego Academy. Upon completing his schooling he moved to Chicago for two years and returned to his father's office, his father being engaged in the hardware business. Edward remained in his father's employ for five years, when they moved to Syracuse to become engaged in the oil business. In 1888 a position was offered to him as manager of the Watertown branch of the Standard Oil Company, which he accepted and where he remained.
CHAMPLIN, CHARLES G.:
chief of the Watertown Police Department, Charles was born in Brownville on 2 May 1843, and educated in the local schools In 1862 he enlisted in the 10th NY Artillery and served in the defense of Washington until the Battle of Cold Harbor, where he participated under the command of Col. Piper. He was in the battle of Petersburg and assisted in its capture. With Sheridan in the Shenandoah Valley, Charles was discharged in August, 1865 after being promoted to duty sergeant of his company. At the end of the war he returned to Watertown, without an education, a trade or means to embark in a business enterprise. He accepted a position in the manufacturing company of O. G. Staples and worked for two years in the factory of Gilderoy Lord. When Lord was elected mayor he appointed Charles as a sub-policeman. Charles did so well in the position that he was promoted to chief of police in 1883. He married Nancy Merrill and they had a daughter, Eva.
BOLTON, STEPHEN C.:
was born on 2 December 1860 in Gouverneur, St. Lawrence Co., NY, son of Stephen H. Bolton and Sarah Ann Cramer. When he was a child, his parents moved to Watertown and Stephen attended public schools. In the fall of 1882 he enter the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and graduated in 1883, and it was in the fall of that year that he moved to Brooklyn, NY and opened his own drug business. In 1893, he moved to Watertown and formed a partnership with J. C. Bogart, again in the drug business. Stephen married on 20 November 1884 to Lucy M. Moore of Watertown and they had four children.
HINE, OMAR A.:
Omar was in the insurance business in Watertown from 1884. Prior to his move to Watertown he was engaged in railroading, as an agent, operator and conductor for the R. W. & O. and the Detroit and Milwaukee Railroads.
YORK, ANSON E.:
established himself in business in 1860, moving from Boston, Massachusetts to accept a position as bookkeeper for the firm of Eli Farwell & Co., where he worked until 1866. In 1869 he partnered with E. D. Moore under the firm name of York & Moore, which succeeded York & Starkweather and continued until 1 January 1892, when it became York & Son. The firm was one of the largest in Watertown, dealing in glass and glazier supplies.
COCHRANE, GEORGE H.:
was born in Glenburnie, Ontario Canada on 12 November 1868. His education was obtained in the pubic schools and business college. In 1886 he moved to Syracuse and there learned the bakery and confectionery trade. In 1892 he moved to Watertown, where he was the proprietor of the Syracuse Bakery. His baked goods and confectionery were considered the best in the city. In July 1894 he married Bertha Vedder of Syracuse.
HERRICK, JOHN F.:
was born in Fowler, St. Lawrence Co., NY on 4 July 1851, where he lived with his parents until he was 18. He attended the Gouverneur Wesleyan Seminary. In 1872 he served as assistant postmaster in the Gouverneur post office under Capt. George B. Winslow. After a variety of employment, in the spring of 1878 he opened a general store at Little York which he operated for 15 years. During that time he served as the Fowler postmaster for four years. In June of 1893, he closed his business at Fowler and moved to Watertown where he built a block and opened a store at 174 Main Street. He married Viola A. Davis of Norfolk, St. Lawrence Co., NY in March 1874. Their only daughter was Gracie M.
ZULLER, HENRY J.:
was born in Pamelia, Jefferson Co., on 26 April 1846. His early years were spent on a farm and in 1870 he moved to Watertown to enter the grocery business with Coply Knott, for whom he worked for four years and then with M. Andrus for four years. His next position was with Carpenter & Bergiven where he remained for eleven years. Then he opened his own business with Charles Brown under the name of Brown, Zuller & Co., and it became one of the leading groceries in Watertown. On 1 March 1870, he married Emma Graves of Watertown. His enlistment in Co. I, 186th NY Vols., continued to the end of the war.
MEADER, ISABEL M., M.D.:
was born in Watertown, NY, daughter of Daniel Meader who was a manufacturer in that city. After she graduated from high school, she was a teacher for eight years in the public schools. In 1884, she enter the Woman's Hospital Medical College in Chicago, and graduated on 5 April 1887 with her medical degree. After spending two years in Arizona and five years in California, she spent one year as assistant to a physician near Chicago. Her practice was a general practice; she was a member of the Jefferson Co. Medical Society, the Watertown City Medical Society and an honorary member of the Los Angeles County Medical Society of California.
CALKINS, FREDERIC R., M.D.:
was born in Rodman, NY on 16 April 1871, son of Edmund B. Calkins, an undertaker of Watertown. Dr. Calkins was educated in the public schools and Ives Seminary at Antwerp, NY. He was with Moffett, Hodgkins & Clark of New York for three years and at twenty-one years, he began medical studies with Dr. A. B. Stevens. He entered Bellevue Hospital Medical College and graduated there on 26 March 1894. In that year he began his practice in Watertown. Dr. Calkins served as a secretary of the Jefferson County Medical Society. In 1896, he married Evangeline P. Cadwell, daughter of H. V. Cadwell. Their son: Frederic R., Jr.
REESE, MARTIN H.:
was born in Leray, NY on 22 December 1852. Martin's father died when he was seven years old and attended school until he was sixteen. He then operated a fifty acre farm for his mother in Clayton for four years. On 22 December 1872, at age twenty-one, he began work on a farm by the month. On 14 September 1873, he married Martha J. Lingenfelter of Clayton and on 1 March 1874 went to housekeeping near Evans Mills, town of LeRay, and worked by the month until 25 November 1874. An accident to his right elbow caused the loss of the ulna bone, and disabled him for nine months. After recovering he worked for two years learning the cheesemaking business, which he continued for six years, and on 23 October 1883 he moved to Watertown and embarked in the retail meat business at No. 82 Factory Square.
HOOKER, HAROLD LOUIS:
was born in Brownville on 9 March 1869. He attended pubic schools and graduated from high school in 1886. He immediately began law studies in the office of his brother, G. S. Hooker, where he remained until 1889. At that time he entered the Albany Law School and graduated with high honors in the class of 1890 and received his LLB. In May of 1890 he was admitted to the bar at Syracuse. After his graduation from the law school he became an instructor there where he remained for two years. He then moved to Watertown and began practice. In September 1892 he partnered with his brother under the firm name of G. S. and H. L. Hooker. Harold married on 16 September 1897 to Fannie E. G., daughter of Rev. Dr. R. A. Olin.
was born at Canton, St. Lawrence Co., NY on 22 February 1863, son of William O'Brien and Ellen Daulton. The parents moved to Watertown when Thomas was quite young. After finishing public school he joined his father in the gardening business and also served an apprenticeship in the carpentry trade, which he continued until 1896. In that year with Brennen and Hodge, they began a contracting business which was one of the largest contracting and building firms of Watertown. Thomas married on 18 November 1885 to Delia Hennuria. Their son: George.
PORTER, HON. WILBER F.:
was born in Herkimer Co., NY on 22 June 1832. When he was six years old, his parents moved to Jefferson County where he attended public schools and finished his education in the Gouverneur Wesleyan Seminary and the Fulton Academy. He taught school for two years and then began his law studies with Laban H. Ainsworth of Cape Vincent. He moved to Watertown and continued his studies in the office of Bagley & Wright; and in 1857 he was admitted to the bar and opened an office in Cape Vincent where he practiced until the spring of 1860. At that time he returned to Watertown where he entered the office of Bagley & Wright where he remained for ten years. He then opened a solo practice but in 1870 partnered with Edmund B. Wynn and that continued until 1877. A new partnership with ex-Judge Walts began and existed until 1883, when Wilber's son, Charles G., entered the firm which became Porter, Walts & Porter. In January 1897, Judge Walts withdrew and the father-son Porter firm continued. Wilber Porter served as mayor of Watertown for five elections. Gov. Flower appointed Wilber as a member of the Court of Claims. Mrs. Porter died on 6 August 1892 and left son, Charles G., who was born 10 September 1861.
TROWBRIDGE, STANTON S.:
was born in Watertown on 10 December 1854, son of Dr. W. R. Trowbridge. In 1874 Stanton entered the law office of Hon. Levi H. Brown, as a student and was admitted to the bar in 1877. Stanton remained with Dr. Brown for twelve years. Stanton was active in politics in Jefferson County. He served in Company C., and 39th Separate Company during the Civil War and received an honorable discharge. In 1877 he married Helen G. Utley, daughter of A. M. Utley of Watertown; she was the granddaughter of Peter Van Buren of Gouverneuer, St. Lawrence Co. Their daughter: Ethel Brown Trowbridge, born 21 July 1878.
FARMER, G. S., A.M., M.D.:
was born in Fowler, St. Lawrence Co., NY in 1850, son of Francis Farmer and Louisa Homer. Dr. Farmer was a graduate of the St. Lawrence University class of 1871. He began his medical studies with Dr. M. M. Gardner of Utica and then entered the NY Homeopathic Medical College, where he graduated in 1874. His practice was begun in Gouverneur, and after six years he moved to Watertown.
SPENCER, GORDON P., M.D.:
was the grandson of Dr. Gordon P. Spencer and son of Dr. H. G. P. and Antoinette Decker Spencer. He was born in Watertown, NY on 19 Feb. 1860. His education was in the public schools and Trenton Military Institute where he graduated in 1882. That year he began his medical studies at Bellevue Hospital Medical College, NY and received his medical degree in 1887. His practice was opened in Watertown after his graduation. He was a member of the Jefferson Co. Medical Society and Gov. Morton appointed him to fill the unexpired term of Dr. L. G. Gifford as coroner of the county.
PITCHER, FRED B.:
was born in Adams, NY on 29 April 1867, son of Seymour H. Pitcher who was born in Lewis Co., NY. Fred was educated in the public schools and after he graduated from the Adams Collegiate Institute, he pursued a complete course of studies at Cornell University, from which he graduated in the class of 1888, with a BS degree. At Watertown, he entered the office of ex-Judge J. C. McCartin and was admitted to the bar in 1890. When the judge died two years later, he formed a partnership with Charles H. Walts, ex-county judge of Jefferson Co. Fred also served as corporation counsel for the City of Watertown.
GILMAN, WILLIAM H.:
was born in Lorraine, NY on 19 December 1856, son of Julius Gilman, a farmer. William was the youngest of four children. He received his education in the Hungerford Collegiate Institute of Adams and the Rochester Collegiate Institute. He began his law studies in 1877. President Arthur appointed him postmaster in 1884, and he resigned after three years. In 1891 he moved to Watertown and was with E. B. Wynn for two years but in February 1894 began a solo practice. On 11 June 1894, he married Mary Collins Stone of Adams, daughter of Cyrus K. Stone.
CARLISLE, JOHN N.:
was born 24 August 1866, son of William S. Carlisle. After high school, he began his law studies in the office of Hon. Henry Purcell, on 1 Sept. 1885, and was admitted to the bar on 15 Feb. 1889. He served as city attorney in 1891 and 1892. He married in January, 1894 to Carrie C. Brown, daughter of Edmund Brown of Pulaski. Their daughter: Catherine C. Carlisle.
STEELE, HARVEY W.:
was a native of Jefferson Co., and son of Lafayette Steele and Lois Nash. Educated in the public schools and Hungerford Collegiate Institute, where he taught for five years. In the spring of 1883, he entered the law office of Judge A. H. Sawyer and was admitted to practice in 1886. In 1886 he was a candidate for district attorney and in the fall of 1892 was elected alderman of the Third Ward of Watertown. He served in various public offices and organizations.
GOODALE, ADDISON WIGHT:
was born in Fowler, St. Lawrence Co., on 17 August 1831 and was educated in the district schools and Gouverneur Seminary, later called the Ives Seminary. In 1855 he began medical studies with Dr. Ira H. Abel of Antwerp and attended lectures at the Albany Medical College in 18555-1858, where he graduated on 8 June 1858. His practice was opened in South Rutland in August of 1858 and he remained there until 1 April 1863. At that time he enlisted in the 10th NY H.A., and was mustered in as assistant surgeon on 13 April 1863. He remained with his regiment until the close of service on 23 June 1865 when he mustered out. His practice in South Rutland continued until March 1867 when he moved to Watertown and spent a year there as an employee of the Phoenix Life Insurance Co., of Hartford, CT, as adjuster and superintendent of physicians. He located in Canandaigua, Syracuse and Hartford until 1884, when he moved to New York City, occupying the same position until 1888, when he returned to Watertown. On 12 August 1858, he married Helen J. Fowler of Antwerp. Their two daughters: Mrs. A. B. Abernathy of Brooklyn and Florence L.
PARIS, CHARLES M.:
was a native of Lewis Co., NY where he was born in 1838. His early years were spent on a farm and later, as a tanner. In 1874 he moved to Jefferson County and began farming in Rutland, where he remained until 1875. At that time he moved to Watertown where he entered the grocery business but then embarked again in the tannery business. He operated the Hall and Farwell tanneries of Watertown. In 1882, he was appointed justice of the peace to fill an unexpired term and was so well received that he was awarded two more terms.
TOLMAN, SOLON B.:
was the son of William Tolman and Mary Bancroft, born in Watertown NY on 27 July 1828. William Tolman, his father, was born in 1795 in New Hampshire and moved to Jefferson County in 1817 but after a few years returned to New Hampshire and got married and then relocated in Jefferson Co. where he resided until his death in 1892. The first of the family came from England in 1634. Solon's grandfather, Ebenezer Tolman, was a soldier in the Revolutionary War and was at the Battle of Bunker Hill. William Tolman took up land in Alexandria in 1822 when there were only nine families in the town, but later moved to Watertown, where Solon was born. Solon received his education in the district schools and attended Rodman Seminary. When he was twenty-one he was offered a position at the Grove Hotel, remained a short time and then returned to the farm. In 1860 he bought a farm of 180 acres which became his residence. On 16 March 1854 he married Lodusta Archer, daughter of Abraham Archer of Rutland, NY. She died in 1866.
Return to Jefferson County NYGenWeb Page
Return to People of Jefferson County NY Page
Return to Pioneers Page
Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page