Biographical information was extracted from R. A. Oakes' 1905 Genealogical and Family History of the County of Jefferson, New York, Volume II by Marilyn Sapienza!
WETHERBEE, JAMES EDWIN of Carthage -
James, superintendent of the West End Paper Mill at Carthage, was born 2 August 1869 in Broadalbin, Fulton Co., NY. His great-grandfather, Marshall Wetherbee, came from Vermont and settled on a farm in Mayfield, Fulton Co., and died in Broadalbin in 1884 at 80 years. His wife died in 1890 at about 84 years. James was at the opening of the West End Mill at Carthage on 1 July 1902 and became its superintendent. He married Jennie Howe, a native of Erie Co., NY, daughter of Chester and Polly (Palmer) Howe.
Lorin, the only child of Marshall Wetherbee was born in Vermont and settled on a farm in Mayfield, but later engaged as a broker in paper stock, and was headquartered for some years at South Bend, Indiana. He returned to NY and began paper manufacturing at Union Mills, Fulton Co. He died in Broadalbin in 1885 at about 60 years. His wife was a Miss Quackenbush, who survived him, and died at the age of 65. They were the parents of seven children:
Frank of St. Louis, MO
Mervin of Amsterdam, NY
Orville, a glove cutter who lived at Mayfield where Charles was a farmer
Lorin, a glove manufacturer in California
Emma, the youngest, married a Mr. Frazier of Johnstown, where they resided.
Eugene Wetherbee was born 16 Nov. 1848 in Mayfield and grew up on a farm. He learned the trade of papermaking and continued in that occupation until he was 30 years of age and then became a farmer in the town of Broadalbin. In 1866 he married Orcelia, daughter of Pardon and Nellie Van Vranken Allen, of Broadalbin. Eight of their nine children were mentioned:
James E., the eldest
Irving, a resident of Sandy Hill, NY
Wesley of Fort Edward, NY
Myron at Charlton, Schoharie Co.
Charles and Nellie of Sandy Hill
Jennie and Mattie who lived with the parents in Broadalbin
One child who died in infancy.
HUBBARD, LEVI of Champion -
Levi was the second son of William Hubbard and was born 2 September 1792 in Berlin, CT; he was of the seventh generation in this country, a descendant of George Hubbard. At age 14, he was apprenticed to a tinsmith and served until he was of age. He was in Champion, Jefferson Co., as early as 1821 and he may have arrived the previous year, following his marriage. He purchased land near what was known as “Champion Huddle” and cleared and tilled it until his death which occurred on 24 October 1878 at age 86. On 30 January 1820 he married Polly Richmond Clark, who was born 20 February 1799 at Colerain, MA and died 15 August 1845 in Champion. They were the parents of seven children:
William R., the eldest born 20 May 1821 – lived at Champion but passed his last years on a
farm near Farmersville, Cattaraugus Co, NY
Polly Rosina, born 3 April 1823; married Lewis O. Earl and died in West Carthage
Mabel Kelsey, born 23 June 1826; married Guy Carleton Earl, and lived in West Carthage
Horace G., born 17 August 1829; learned the tinner's trade and became a Baptist preacher
Olive Rosetta, born 12 August 1831; married Wheeler B. Hewitt and died in Carthage
Alice Maria, born 19 February 1839; married Dr. N. M. Carter of Poughkeepsie and died in Utica, NY
Levi Hubbard was a well read and public spirited citizen. He held several town offices and was highly respected by the community.
EARL, GUY CARLETON of West Carthage -
Guy was born 5 March 1825 in W. Carthage and was a son of Loton and Amarilla (Barto) Earl, who came from Vermont and settled in Champion early. Amarilla died in Champion on 20 September 1864 at 73 years.
Guy C. Earl grew up in W. Carthage; at age 14 he went to learn the trade of carpenter and builder. He was active in building the village of W. Carthage and erected a hotel at the corner of Bridge and W. Main Streets which he conducted for 35 years. He also built a distillery which he operated for a short time but then converted it into a brewery, which he operated for five years. The house that he and his wife Mabel K. Hubbard lived in was built of brick and occupied by them; the house was on Main St. south of Bridge. He died on 21 April 1901 at 76 years. On 5 March 1846 he married Mabel Kelsey, daughter of Levi Hubbard (above) and they were together for 57 years. Guy C. and Mabel were the parents of two daughters:
Lotonette, the elder, married James K. Arnold and died childless at age 34.
Leviette married Joseph Ash, who was killed by a runaway horse in 1883. She married second to Thomas Henderson, and died in Watertown in December 1888. Her daughters were Maud S. and Eva Warner.
Maud married Vernon Beecher, lived in Watertown and survived her husband.
Eva married Lawrence H. Ladd and had a daughter, Ruth.
Loton and Amarilla Earl were the parents of 12 children and 11 reached adulthood. Their fifth child, Almira, was fatally scalded and died in infancy.
Alzina, the eldest, married Benjamin F. Mallory and lived and died at Holland Patent, NY
Francis died in 1888 in Champion
Amarilla was the wife of Henry Howard and died in Watertown, NY
Fidelia lived and died in Champion and was the wife of James Patterson
Lorain married Albert Earl (not a relative) and died in Wisconsin
Guy C. was the seventh child.
Pamelia was the wife of Abel Nutting and died in W. Carthage.
Delight was the wife of Hiram Knowles and lived most of her life in Champion; she died in Wilna
Harrison died in 1901 at Harrisville
Xenophon moved to Wisconsin and died there.
BRANAUGH, EDMUND WALLACE of Theresa -
In 1830, Archibald and Jane (Anderson) Branaugh left Belfast, Ireland for the United States and lived 12 years in Greene co., NY. They moved to Theresa in Jefferson Co., and then to Redwood where Archibald died. Jane survived him for two years and died at the home of her son in Carthage. They were of Scotch-Irish descent, of those Scotchmen who migrated to northern Ireland to obtain religious freedom.
Samuel, son of Archibald and Jane, was born 11 September 1823 in Belfast, Ireland and was seven years old when he came with his parents to America. Early in lived he began working in a Greene County tannery and then located at Salisbury Center in Lewis Co., where he became a foreman in the tannery of Stewart and Morrow and by John C. Pitt of Danesville. In 1870 he became a resident of Carthage and became a leading business man. He bought the old “Long Falls” tannery of James H. Morrow, which re rebuilt and continued to operate until 1887. After moving to Carthage he bought the tannery at Belfort in Lewis Co., which he operated for many years. He acquired a tannery at Croghan and had three in operation for some time. In 1893 he sold out to the United States Leather Company and retired. A founder of the Carthage Tribune newspaper, he also served as a director of the First National Bank. He died on 27 June 1895. On 6 September 1848 he married at Manheim, NY to Diana Bellinger, a native of that place. She was the daughter of Adam and Diana (Beidelman) Bellinger, all of German descent. Diana was born 29 June 1830 and died 30 March 1889. Of their two sons and three daughters, one of each died in childhood:
Martha, the eldest, married P. J. Corcoran and lived in Carthage.
Jessie married Lowell A. Winn and resided in Madison, Wisconsin
Edmund Wallace, the youngest, was born 12 March 1871 in Carthage. He attended Eastman's Business College in Poughkeepsie, NY. At age 19 ye began his business career as an assistant to the superintendent of his father's Croghan tannery. After working in a variety of tanneries, he came to Carthage. For two years he was of the firm of Branaugh & Jones operating in the production of lime at Natural Bridge. In 1901 he sold his interest to Peter Yousey and in January 1903 acquired the ice, coal and builders' material business of N. W. Maxwell. On 18 March 1894 he married Ide Warne, a native of Ovid, NY.
JONES, JOHN GEORGE of Carthage -
John was born 22 December 1862 in Deerfield, MA, son of George W. and Ellen Jones, natives of Deerfield. His grandfather, John Jones, was born in Deerfield, and of early Welsh settlers of New England. His wife was a Wolcott and died at 90 years. He died at the age of 80. He was a farmer on a large scale and served as a deacon of the Baptist church for many years. They had a family of four sons and five daughters. Of those children. George W. Jones died at age 67 in 1892. By occupation he was a farmer and was extensively in the exportation of cattle. In addition to filling many of the town offices, he served several terms as a representative of the town in the general assembly. He was an ardent Abolitionist. After reaching the age of majority he married Ellen Jones, who was not a near relative. Her parents lived and died in Deerfield. George and Ellen were the parents of five sons and a daughter.
Charles, the eldest was a farmer and resided in Deerfield
Clarence, involved in mining with headquarters in Seattle, Washington
Stella A. was unmarried and lived in New Haven, CT
Frank was also engaged in mining, in Montana
Allen P. was a citizen of Greenfield, MA
John G., the youngest, grew up on a farm in Deerfield and also attended William College in Wiliamstown, MA where he graduated in 1885. After studying law, he spend one year on the home farm and then took the position of chemist with the Ticonderoga Pulp and Paper Company of Ticonderoga, NY, where he worked from 1887 to 1894. It was in 1894 that he became a resident of Carthage and acquired an interest in the Wendler Machine Co. After a brief time with the Hazelton Boiler Co. of NY as a salesman, he associated with E. W. Branaugh of Carthage in the lime business, with quarries at Natural Bridge. In 1902 he organized the New York Lime Co., John also represented the interests of several boiler companies. John was a member of many local fraternal organizations. In November 1887, he married Emma May Landon, a New York City native, and daughter of Edward and E. S. Landon. After Edward died, his widow moved in with a son at Waltham, MA. John G. and Emma May had a son, Harold Landon Jones.
PECK, C. F. of Watertown -
C.F. Peck was a prominent figure in Watertown as a business man. His ancestry emigrated from Connecticut to Flushing, Long Island, where his father, Hamilton Peck, was born. Hamilton Peck was engaged in business in NY and Milwaukee, WI. He moved to Watertown with the Davis Sewing Machine Co. It was there that he married Annie M., daughter of Philo Johnson. They were the parents of two children. Hamilton died on 17 August 1886 and his widow survived him.
C. F. Peck, son of Hamilton and Annie, was born in Watertown where he attended school. He spent ten years with the Agricultural Ins. Co. of Watertown. He married on 20 June 1893 to Margaret, daughter of Sidney Cooper, and they had a daughter, Elizabeth C. Mrs. Peck was an earnest worker in charity and benevolent organizations of the Presbyterian Church.
TREADWELL, JOHN HENRY of Watertown -
A distinguished resident of Watertown. His grandfather, Samuel Treadwell, was the son of Hezekiah and Abiah (Stilson) Treadwell, residents of New Milford, CT. Samuel Treadwell was born there 5 May 1788 and died 1 June 1867. He married on 23 December 1810 to Jane Prime, also a native of New Milford. She was born 11 November 1782 and died 14 April 1864. Samuel and Jane were the parents of three children.
Jane Prime was the granddaughter of William and Sarah (Garlick) Prime of New Milford. Asa, son of William and Sarah Prime was born 15 July 1753 in New Milford and died 6 April 1817, A blacksmith by trade, he helped to make the chain which was stretched across the Hudson to prevent the advance of British ships of the river during the Revolutionary War. A noted wrestler, he made trips to NY, Philadelphia and Baltimore to engage in wrestling contests. On 25 June 1778 he married Phebe Resseguie, who was born 31 March 1754 and died 9 February 1815 in New Milford. She was a daughter of Abraham and Jane Resseguie. Abraham was a son of Alexander and Sara (Bontecou) Resseguie.
Henry Resseguie Treadwell, the second son and child of Samuel and Jane (Prime) Treadwell, was born 17 January 1817 in New Milford, CT. and became an expert in antique goods. At different times he was connected with the firms of Tiffany & Co. and Sypher & Co., both of NY City and was an owner in the business for many years. On 16 May 1843 he married Martha Downs Mygatt, born 13 February 1823. She died 1 May 1859. Her sister, Ruth, born 9 September 1832, then married Mr. Resseguie on 8 April 1879.
John Henry Treadwell, son of Henry and Martha D., was born 18 June 1846 in NY City and educated at the Sheffield Scientific School of Yale University. With many talents, in artistic and musical ability, he was able to make his home most attractive. He spent some years in the antique store of his father in NY, which was the first of its kind in that city. His taste for architecture prompted him to design several fine residences. But his principal creative work was in the field of literature. He wrote the first American book on pottery and porcelain and was the author of the first life of Martin Luther in English. He died in Watertown, NY on 12 January 1883. John Henry married on 7 April 1870 to Helen Irene Nicoll, the widowed daughter of Dr. Leonard Lee of Newburg, NY. She died with no issue on 14 January 1872 and John Henry married on 6 November 1873 to Mary Seymour Brainard, daughter of Orville V. Brainard. John Henry and Mary were the parents of a daughter and a son:
Helen Irene; married George D. Huntington of Watertown, mother of Frances D.
Brainard H. Treadwell; connected with the papermaking industry and lived in Watertown.
CLARKE, HENDERSON MILLER of Watertown -
A native of Watertown, he was born on 2 May 1860. Henderson's father, Joseph and his wife, came from England to America. Joseph learned the trade of carpenter and joiner and was a specialist in wood carving, which gave him an excellent reputation in that trade. Joseph first settled in Kingston, Canada and after a year there, moved to Watertown. He was responsible for the wood carvings in the old Paddock mansion. His wife was Mary Miller and also of English parentage. Joseph died at age 70 and his wife survived him for a short time.
Henderson Clarke attended public schools in Watertown and then began a career in meat cutting. He later became the manager for the Armour Refrigerator Co. In Watertown and as a retail dealer in meats in Watertown. On 30 June 1890 Henderson married Julia Pauline O'Leary; the wedding was held at the home of her parents, James and Ellen O'Leary, near Potsdam, NY. Both of her parents were natives of Ireland. Julia was born on their farm on 14 April 1871.
SACKET, FRANCIS WILLIAMS of Cape Vincent -
Francis was born in Louisville, Kentucky on 15 September 1867. His father was Delos Bennett Sacket, born at Cape Vincent, NY on 14 April 1822. Delos entered the West Point Military Academy at age 18 and graduated in 1840. He was in the same class with General William T. Sherman. Delos entered the Mexican War, and served as a lieutenant of cavalry; during the Civil War he served as a a member of General McClellan's staff. He served on the march from the Indian Territory to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas from 3 May to 27 May 1851 as a lieutenant-colonel. Later he served as inspector-general of the department of Washington from 13 June until 8 August 1861 and was then appointed to duty as mustering and disbursing officer at New York City, where he remained until 12 December 1861. As inspector-general of the Army of the Potomac, from 13 December 1861 to 10 January 1863, he was at the headquarters of the army in Washington, D.C. From 13 December 1861 to 10 March 1852. During the Civil War, he served at Gaines Mills, the Battle of Glendale, Malvern Hill and was in the Maryland campaign on the staff of the commanding general of the Army of the Potomac, and present at the battles of South Mountain and Antietam. Under Major General Burnside, he served in the Rappahannock campaign in 1862 and 63. After several other assignments he received the brevet of major-general in the Army on 13 March 1865 for faithful and meritorious service. His death occurred in Washington, DC on 18 March 1885. His wife, Frances Ann Williams, was born in NY City on 2 December 1834.
Children of General Delos B. and Frances A. (Williams) Sacket were:
Cornelius Tiebout, born January 1870
Eliza Ross, born April 1872; she married Charles Moore De Valin, who was the past assistant surgeon of the US Army. They had one child: Frances Sacket De Valin who was born in November 1900.
Francis Williams Sacket entered Yale College in 1887 and graduated in 1891.
WHITFORD, NATHAN G. of Rodman -
Nathan was a farmer for more than half a century. He was born in Alleghany County, NY on 24 November 1819, a son of Jesse and Olive (Bardick)Whitford, and grandson of Jesse and Rue (Greenman) Whitford. They came from Rhode Island to New York, and settled in Madison Co. where they engaged in farming.
Jesse Whitford was born in Brookfield, Madison Co., NY. His wife, Olive (Bardick) Whitford was a native of Brookfield, Madison Co. Jesse died at 51 years.
Nathan G. grew up on his father's farm and in 1842 moved to Jefferson Co., where he was employed by the month as a farmer. He then worked a farm on shares and later purchased that farm. In 1862, Nathan enlisted in Company B of the NY Heavy Artillery but after four months was discharged because of impaired health; he became a pensioner. On 5 January 1844, Nathan married Mrs. Charlotte W. Whitford, who was the widow of Albert Whitford. Albert was a cousin of Nathan. Charlotte was the daughter of Jacob and Dorcas (Rathbun) Heath, residents of Rodman. She was born 1 November 1822. Jacob came from Washington Co., NY about 1808 and settled on a farm located between two bridges, near the southwest corner of Rodman. In addition to farming, he manufactured woolen cloth and was an active partner in the operation of a grist mill and still. He died in 1868 at age 84. His wife, Dorcas, passed away in 1890 at age 97. They were the parents of three sons:
Albert, born 1832, issue of the first marriage
Nathan Aldro born 1849
Jesse Samuel born 24 December 1862; married Harriet Kellogg, daughter of George Kellogg, a farmer. They resided in Adams, NY and had one child: Mary Jane Whitford.
REES, WILLIAM H. of Clayton -
The first of the family was Eben Rees, a native of Caermarthenshire, South Wales; he lived and died in his birthplace. His son, Thomas Rees, was a farmer and emigrated to the US where he settled in Philadelphia and then moved to NY City for one year. He then moved to Jefferson County, NY and settled at French Creek, which later became Clayton. The journey took 14 days, traveling by canal from Albany to Oswego and then by schooner to Clayton. He married Mary, daughter of William and Mary Saunders of Caermarthenshire. Their children were:
Thomas Rees died in 1840 at age 68 and his wife, Mary, survived until 1860 when she passed away at 80 years.
Thomas Rees, son of Thomas and Mary Saunders Rees, was born in March 1819 in South Wales. He attended the common schools and worked on his father's farm. After working on the farm for a few years, Thomas Rees, father of William H. Rees, learned the trade of ship chandler. He worked for E. G. Merick & Co. Later, he became a partner, when he purchased a one-fourth interest, and in 1865 he became sole proprietor. Half of the business was sold to Calvin & Beck of Washington Island and Rees continued in the lumber business for 15 years. In addition to his extensive lumber operation he also built a large number of vessels on Washington Island, including steamers. Another of his operations was a steam sawmill where he dressed the pine timber which was used for boat building. At one time he constructed rafts which were floated down the St. Lawrence River from Quebec. In 1883 he disposed of his business and retired to Clayton. Thomas married Alzada, born in central NY state, the eldest child of William and Catharine (Zimmerman) Hudson. Their children were:
Delia; married Isaac Cleveland of Watertown
Mrs. Catharine Hudson died in Clayton at age 76.
Children of Thomas and Alzada Rees were:
Thomas G.; railroad official living in Nebraska
Charles E. of Clayton
Mary E.; married Charles A. Ellis, a druggist in Clayton
Adeline D.; married Mr. Dering and died in Clayton
Alzada B.; married J. W. McCoombs
Alzada, mother of these children, died in 1867 and Thomas married Mrs. Alicia S. Radcliff, daughter of Hugh Rothwell of Birkenhead, England.
William H. Rees, son of Thomas and Alzada, was born in Clayton, where he attended school, and also attended the Belleville and Adams academies. He returned to Clayton and worked in the lumber business with his father, Thomas. Later he went to Point Medcalf near Kingston, Canada where he rafted lumber until 1875 when he returned to Clayton. He dealt extensively in black walnut timber. At the end of three years he worked in the Custom House and was placed in charge of the Clayton port and also that of Cape Vincent.
In 1875 he began law studies with H. E. Morse of Clayton; in 1878 he was admitted to the bar and practiced law for 25 years. He continued his business relations and operated five ships on Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River. William served in a number of public offices and was a member of several fraternal organizations. In 1872 he married Charlotte C., daughter of Perry ad Harriet Cowell. Perry Cowell was a boot and shoe dealer in Clayton. Perry and Harriet Cowell were the parents of three children:
Charlotte C., born in Clayton and married William H. Rees
Children of Charlotte and William Rees:
NIMS, LIVINGSTON A. of Sackets Harbor and Clayton -
Livingston was the proprietor of the Riverside Hotel in Depauville, and a descendant of John Nims (the great grandfather) who came with some of the family and settled near Sackets Harbor. Later, John moved to Clayton and spent his last years there, where he died at 102 years.
Appleton Nims, son of John Nims, was born in 1808 in Sackets Harbor and moved with his father to Clayton. He was a successful farmer. He married Louisa Phelps, who came from the Mohawk Valley and they were the parents of the following children:
Augustus S. of Clayton
Sarah Elizabeth; married Eldridge Burchall and lived in Antwerp
Another child deceased
Louisa Phelps Nims was 85 years at her death and Appleton died at 84 years 4 months.
Alonzo Nims, son of Appleton and Louis, was born in 1836 in Sackets Harbor where he attended school and was trained in farming. He graduated from West Point in the same class with Frank Peck and for 31 years taught in district school. He bought and cleared 280 acres of land near Clayton and that farm was his home until 1884 when he retired and moved to Clayton Village. His wife, Harriet, was born in July 1841 in St. Lawrence, daughter of Benjamin and ____(Dellenpaugh) Phillips. Children of Benjamin Phillips:
Kate; married John Weaver and lived at St. Lawrence
Libbie who married Farley Kellogg of Clayton
Children of Alonzo Nims and Harriet:
Gilbert; died at 5 years
John died at age 6
Cora born 2 July 1875
Two others who died as infants
Cora Nims was born 2 July 1875 and attended schools in Clayton; she taught 12 terms in schools in Jefferson Co. On 4 September 1901 she married Walter B. Allen, born in Clayton on 27 July 1854. He was the son of Reuben and May Jane (Stiel) Allen. Reuben died on 29 May 1878 at 42 years and May Jane lived beyond 75 years.
Children of Reuben and May Jane Allen:
Melzer; married Mabel Hanson; children: Clayton and an infant
Riley; married Jennie Williams; children: Ruth, Jessie and Jeanie
Jesse graduated from school in 1904
Ruth who attended schools in Clayton also and graduated in 1904.
Alonzo Nims died on 14 May 1901 in Clayton at 65 years, his death mourned by the whole community. His wife, Harriet Phillips Nims died 10 October 1897 at 56 years.
Livingston A. Nims, son of Alonzo and Harriet, was born 8 June 1867 at Depauville, NY After attending school and at age 16 he went west and took a job as cook on a vessel on the Great Lakes. He was in that position for ten years; he joined another vessel which sank in 1894. On his return to Jefferson Co., he bought out the Bon Ton Restaurant in Clayton but sold it after four years; he then became the proprietor of the Riverside Hotel. In June 1902 he married Edith, daughter of William Denny of Clayton.
KIRBY, FRED MORGAN of Jefferson Co. -
He became one of the most successful sons of Jefferson, became an extensive merchant, banker and financier, whose headquarters were at Wilkesbarre, PA. He became a millionaire. The Kirby family was of an old Herfordshire, England family. The first ancestor was John Kirby, who married Ann Smith in 1795. Their eldest son was William who was born 25 December 1797 and who succeeded his father as a corn merchant in London, and was succeeded by his son, William.
John, the second son of John and Ann, was born 3 November 1891 in Puckeridge, Herfordshire, England, and when about 15, went to St. John, New Brunswick with an uncle, James Smith. James Smith married a sister of Sir Fenwick Williams, the defender of Kars. James was known in New Brunswick as “Ready-made-Smith”, due to the fact that he introduced ready-made clothing in the maritime provinces. He and his nephew, John, continued to deal in those goods at St. John for some time. Later, John became engaged in the lumber business on his own account and finally moved to Hamilton, Ontario. His last years were passed in retirement at Brownville, NY where he passed away on 22 May 1870. He married in St. John to Mary Price. She was born there on 18 September 1803, a daughter of Major James Price and Mary Thomas. She was also a granddaughter of Col. Anthony Price, of the British Army, who served under General Abercrombie in the French and Indian War and subsequently received a large grant of land in Fredericktown, New Brunswick, where he settled in 1763. Mrs. Kirby survived her husband by five years, dying on 22 February 1875. Their eldest child was:
William is mentioned herein.
Edmund Allen lived in Minneapolis and died about 1880
James Price; served in the Civil War as a member of Co. D., 94th NY V; a resident of Watertown, NY; claim adjuster of the Rome, Watertown and Ogdensburg RR, Division of the NY Central going from there to Albany, NY; retired and spent most of his time in California. Three children who died in childhood: Mary Elizabeth at age 10; Thomas at six weeks; Charlotte Ann at 11 days
William, the eldest son of John and Mary Price Kirby was born 26 March 1827 in St. John, New Brunswick and remained there until age 8. He attended boarding school at Annapolis, Nova Scotia for four years. At age 12 he was sent to England to be educated. When he returned from there he taught school for two years at Granville, Nova Scotia. He and his brother, Edmund, were among the “forty-niners” in California. Their voyage around Cape Horn took 195 days and they arrived in San Francisco, which at that time did not contain a frame or brick house. In the six years that William remained there he made and lost a fortune in mining. He then returned to the east and engaged in farming in Hounsfield and Clayton. After 20 years he moved to Watertown, where he lived for 13 years. In the spring of 1885, he joined his son at Wilkesbarre and died there on 22 February 1895, which was 20 years after the death of his mother. William married in Hounsfield on 30 April 1858, to Angeline Elizabeth Slater, daughter of Joseph and Zylpha (Morgan) Slater. Of their two children, only the son survived. A daughter died at age 14 months. Angeline Elizabeth, the mother, died on 1 November 1903 in Wilkesbarre, PA.
Fred Morgan Kirby, the only son of William and Angeline E., was born 30 October 1861 in Brownville and was raised in Watertown. At age 14, he completed his public school education and entered the drygoods store of Moore and Smith in Watertown where he was employed for eight years and worked his way up to bookkeeper. From his earnings he set aside five hundred dollars.
Fred went to Wilkesbarre in August 1884 and opened a five and ten cent store in partnership with Charles S. Woolworth but their arrangement expired at the end of three years. Kirby then purchased the interest of his partner in the business. Eventually he extended the operations by opening stores in other towns until there were 32 stores in 14 states from Rhode Island to Illinois and Louisiana. Four buyers were kept busy as well as two traveling inspectors. The main office in Wilkesbarre employed 20 people but the total number of employees was about 2,500. Fred served in numerous directorships for various companies. Fred married on 27 May 1886 to Jessie Amelia Owen, born 5 January 1861 in Ogdensburg, NY. She was the daughter of James C. and Huldah (Main) Owen, the latter a daughter of Captain J. Main of Chaumont. Children of Fred and Jessie were:
Harold; died 1888 at age 7 weeks
Allan Price, born 31 July 1892
Summer Moore, born 5 September 1895
THOMPSON, MYERS of Plessis -
Myers was born at Plessis on 17 October 1832, son of Joseph M. and Mary Thompson, who came to Plessis from Newville, Herkimer Co., NY in 1831. The paternal grandfather was Dr. Ichabod Thompson, a prominent physician in Herkimer Co. The grandfather on his maternal side was Major Peter J. Myers, who was connected with the Light Artillery at Mohawk, NY
In the spring of 1838, Joseph moved his family to the farm near Plessis. Myers was educated in the Orleans Academy and on 1 March 1853 entered the land office of Vincent LeRy de Chaumont at Carthage, NY where he remained for two years. He moved to Watertown and held several responsible positions until April 1862 when the directors of the Jefferson Co. Bank offered him a position as bookkeeper. There he was employed for four years which lead him to the position as cashier of the National Bank and Loan Company, to fill a vacancy caused by the death of Charles Strong, and he would have accepted it, but at that time Mr. W. Brainard, the cashier, and Mr. A. B. Estes, the teller of the Jefferson National Bank, died. The Directors urged him to remain so he declined the National Bank offer, and accepted the cashier position at the Jefferson bank. For five years he held the cashier position. A group of businessmen wanted to start a new bank in Watertown and offered him the position of cashier which he accepted but proved to be an unfortunate venture. Before the bank was fully organized, Howell Cooper, one of the main spokes in the new bank, died. On 1 October 1874, Norris Winslow bought the bank but he met with financial reverses and the bank closed. After a short time with the Agricultural Insurance Co., Myers worked with Hiram Copley, an extensive land owner in Chaumont. After six years with Copley he went with J. B. Flynn in the sash, door and blind business in Clayton. Bankruptcy forced the business to close. In November 1888, Myers joined Hiram Copley, Oscar Taylor and others in setting up the Carthage Lumber and Wooden Mfg. Co., for which he became secretary and treasurer. He was also engaged in the coal business in Carthage. In October 1891, the buildings and machinery of the firm burned and the loss was so great that the stockholders would not rebuild. Thompson then devoted his whole time to his coal business until 1 March 1899 and when the First National Bank of Carthage closed its doors, so much of his funds were tied up there that he found it impossible to carry on his coal business and was obliged to sell. Myers died on 15 December 1904.
Return to Jefferson County NYGenWeb Page
Return to People of Jefferson County NY Page
Return to Pioneers Page
Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page