A History of Jefferson County in the State of New York, by Franklin B. Hough, Watertown: Sterling & Riddell, 1854.
Our County and Its People: A Descriptive Work on Jefferson County, New York, edited by Edgar C. Emerson, Boston: Boston History Co., 1898.
History of Jefferson County, New York, by Samuel W. Durant and Henry B. Peirce, Philadelphia: L.H. Everts & Co., 1878.
The Growth of a Century: as illustrated in the history of Jefferson county, New York, from 1793-1894, by John A. Haddock, Albany, NY: Weed-Parsons Printing Company, 1895.
A Souvenir, the Thousand Islands of the St. Lawrence River, by John A. Haddock, Albany, NY: Weed-Parsons Printing Company, 1895.
Genealogical and Family History of the County of Jefferson, New York, Vol. I, by Rensselaer Allston Oakes, Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1905.
Genealogical and Family History of the County of Jefferson, New York, Vol. II, by Rensselaer Allston Oakes, Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1905.
Index to Oakes' Genealogical and Family History of the County of Jefferson, New York - on this website
The History of Penet Square, by Irvin W. Near, Hornell NY: W. H. Greenhow, Printer, 1906.
Jefferson County Centennial 1905, by Jere. Coughlin. Watertown, N.Y.: Hungerford-Holbrook Co., 1905. 440 pages. This book is chock full of genealogical data organized by town. By going to the web page in the link, users can search the entire book. If you find typos or discrepancies in any of the web pages, please contact Paul Kelly.
Transactions of the Jefferson County Historical Society Vol. I, Watertown NY: The Society, 1887.
Transactions of the Jefferson County Historical Society Vol. III, Watertown NY: The Society, 1895.
Geographical Gazetteer of Jefferson County, N.Y. 1684-1890, by Hamilton Child, Syracuse, N.Y. : Syracuse Journal Co., 1890. Contains Business Directory of Jefferson County for 1890.
Kimball's Jefferson County Directory, compiled by J. C. Kimball, Watertown NY: Hungerford & Coates, 1879.
Kimball's Jefferson County Directory, compiled by J. C. Kimball, Watertown NY: Hungerford & Coates, 1879. This copy has extra pages.
2600 descendants of Lawrence Constance, an early Town of Cape Vincent pioneer. 120 pages plus an every name index, newspaper articles, chart. $20.00 + $3.50 shipping and handling. Order from: Phyllis Putnam, P.O. Box 58, Chaumont, NY 13622
1. Roster of Jefferson County's Absent Sons and Daughters. An alphabetized list of about 4,000 people who left the county before 1905, the town they moved from and town to which they moved. $18.00 + $3.50 S. & H.
2. Ernest Cook Vol. 1. Compilation of Ernest Cooks interviews with Jefferson Countys elders. Series such as: Talks with Men of the North Country, The famed Goodenough School, and Forgotten Post Offices. This last series is especially useful for the genealogist because Cook names all the families who received mail at these remote locations. One hundred and twenty articles, 118 pages, with index. $18.00 + $3.50 S. & H.
3. Ernest Cook, Vol. II in this volume there are a total of 100 articles; 42 on Theresa, 10 on the French nobility in the north country, 5 on the Edus emigration which tells why and how the non-noble left Europe, 15 articles on the Champion area, 28 on the Scotch Pioneers. There are 113 pages, many of them retyped for easier reading. With index $18.00 + $3.50 S. & H.
4. Ernest Cook, Vol. III. One hundred nineteen pages, completely retyped for easy reading, with 30 articles from March 1910 to July 1929, many on Chippewa Bay area. Cookss technique was to interview the elders of a community. If he were interviewing an 80 year old in 1920, the man would have been born in 1840 and could give an oral history of the area from those early days. With index $18.00 + $3.50 S. & H.
5. Ernest Cook, Vol. IV. Thirty three articles, 117 pages, completely retyped for easy reading. There are articles on some of the famous names in the North Country; Bonaparte, Coffeen, Cooper, Flower, Irving, LaFarge, LeRay and Remington. The book also includes 20 articles on the diary of a Scot immigrant relating the hardships that the early pioneer encountered in this uninhabited region.With Index $18.00 + $3.50 S. & H.
6. Ernest Cook, Vol V. Forty articles, 128 completely retyped pages, from August 1929 to November 1929, mostly on the Rossie, Hammond, Theresa areas.$18.00 + $3.50 S. & H.
7. Ernest Cook, Vol. VI. Forty one articles, 121 completely retyped pages, including a 13 article series on the Copley's of Chaumont and Antwerp, a 17 article series on the Town of Lyme and an 11 article series on Point Peninsula. $18.00 + $3.50 S. & H.
8. Point Salubrious 1802 - 2006 by Clara Van Doren. Includes 169 color pictures. $32.00 + $3.50 S. & H.
9. Schermerhorn Park Memories by Frank Schermerhorn Silver. Special Order $16.00 + $3.50 S. & H.
10. The Historical Journal of John Bedford. A gripping saga of the difficult life of the pioneer in what was a nearly uninhabited Northern New York State. This is the story of Bedfords life between 1810 and 1844. $25.00 + $4.50 S. & H.
11. The Founding of the Schools in Lyme and the Pioneers who Built Them, by Joyce Lance. Includes a 3,000+ item index $22.00 + $3.50 S. & H.
12. Follow the North Shore by Joyce Lance. Stories of the Early Settlers of Point Peninsula. $18.00 + $3.50 S. & H.
13. History of the Town of Lyme by Charles R. and Harriet L. Knapp. Booklet $5.00 + $2.50 S. & H.
14. The Ciscoe Chasers of Chaumont Bay, Booklet. $5.00 + $2.50 S. & H.
15. A Historical Sketch of the Town of Cape Vincent, by Elizur N. Pratt, Booklet $5.00 + $2.50 S. & H.
16. Chaumont History through Old Postcards. There are about 80 old postcards of old Chaumont with commentary $15.00 + $3.00 S. & H.
17. Recipes and Reminiscences. Olde time recipes, curiosities, and pictures. $10.00 + $3.50 S. & H.
Contains maps of the villages and towns. By S.N. and D.G. Beers, Philadelphia:C. K. Stone, 1864. Originally limited to 300 copies. Reprinted in 1975 by Martin Wehle.
Compiled by Jean S. Wilson. Highlands Ranch, CO:J.W. Enterprises, ca. 1996.
Laid out on the same general principles as Child's Gazetteer, Emerson provides history of each township as well as an overview of Jefferson County, a section on biographies of various families, and personal references. Illustrated, 936 plus 318 pages, indexed. 1898.
Emerson, Edgar C.
A "glory book", like the previous, it provides town histories, with many biographies. This county history is more lavishly illustrated with photographs not only of the people, but of their houses and farms. It provides a history of Jefferson County in the Civil War, including rosters of various regiments.
[History of Jefferson County, New York 1797 - 1878. With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some of its Prominent Men and Pioneers. By S. W. Durant and H. B. Peirce. Philadelphia: L.H. Everts & Co., 1878.]
Index to the above Everts' History of Jefferson County published separately in 1993. 234 pages. Compiled by Merton Sarvay, Crystal Lake, IL, at $50.
US Bicentennial Project. Short histories of the 22 towns and city of Watertown, 1000 Islands Bridge, etc. Many photos. 132? pages. No Index.
Gould, Ernest C., ed.
Full title is: A souvenir, the Thousand Islands of the St. Lawrence River: from Kingston and Cape Vincent to Morristown and Brockville with their recorded history from the earliest times, their legends, their romances, their fortifications and their contests ; including both the American and Canadian channels profusely illustrated with views of natural scenery as well as pictures of many summer villas, steamers, fishing scenes, &c. 461 pages. Indexed. Albany, NY: Weed-Parsons Printing Company, 1895.
Haddock, John A.
Albany, N.Y.: Weed-Parsons Printing Company. 1895. 842 pages. Indexed. [this book is available to view on line to subscribers of ancestry.com]
Haddock, John A.
The earliest, and by many considered the best, it is the prototype from which the others copied largely. A myriad of information on the towns, their histories, newspapers, biographical information, etc. Index in separate volume. 601 pages. Watertown: Sterling & Riddell, 1854.
Hough, Franklin B.
3 vols. Indianapolis, Ind.: Historical Pub. Co., 1932. [this book is available to view on line to subscribers of ancestry.com]
Landon, Harry F.
Volumes 1 & 2. Gives the history of many of the early Jefferson County families. 1349 pages. Index at the beginning of volume 1. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1905.
Oakes, Rensselaer Allston.
208 pages. Not indexed. For World War I: gives names, town, addresses, branch of service, lists those on committees, short biographical sketches regarding some of the nurses, some death dates, and much more.Watertown, N.Y.: Hungerford-Holbrook Co., 1920.
George W. Reeves.
NOTE: KATHALEEN SMITH OFFERS TO DO LOOKUPS FOR
Family History Notebooks
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page
Copyright 2011 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project