JEFFERSON COUNTY NEW YORK

TOWN OF CHAMPION




A detailed 1864 town MAP showing residents. (601K file)
An 1864 map of The Hamlet of Champion
An 1864 map of The Hamlet of Great Bend
An 1864 map of The Village of West Carthage
1918 TOWN OF CHAMPION FARM MAP


A list of POSTMASTERS in the town in existing and discontinued postoffices.
1810 Census--Town of Champion

Family sketches from CHILD'S GAZETTEER for the town of Champion.
Child's Business Directory for the Town of Champion.
Haddock Family Sketches--Town of Champion
Sunnyside Cemetery, Town of Champion
Champion Family Files in Town Historian's Office

Town of Champion 1890 Census of Civil War Veterans
Civil War Soldiers Buried in the Town of Champion

CHAMPION

OFFICE CONTACT PHONE ADDRESS
Town Historian LYNN THORNTON 493-3213 10 N. Broad St; Carthage 13619
Deputy Town Historian SUZANNE WILEY 493-3675 10 N. Broad St; Carthage 13619
Town Clerk CHRISTINA VARGULICK 493-3240 7 N Main St, Carthage 13619
West Carthage Village Historian HAROLD SANDERSON 493-7110 W. Carthage, NY 1361920
West Carthage Village Clerk DEBRAH PIERCE 493-2552 Village Office; 61 High St; Carthage 13619


Town of Champion Historian's Website


Four Rivers Historical Society

P.O. Box 504
Carthage, NY 13619
(315)773-5133

Organized in 1977, this society averages over 600 members, and has microfilmed the Carthage Republican newspaper. The microfilm is deposited in the Carthage Library. They have published books. Their holdings include a working chapel, and a one room school. Carthage lies on the border of Lewis County, so that the society covers part of Lewis as well as the western townships of Jefferson County. The society collects material from three central school districts, the Copenhagen Central, Carthage Central, and Indian River school districts. This area includes parts of the townships of Theresa, Philadelphia, Antwerp, Le Ray, Wilna, and Champion. Their 21 directors represent the various communities within this area.


History of the Town of Champion linked from Shirley Farone's Home Page taken from CHILD'S GAZETTEER OF JEFFERSON COUNTY by HAMILTON CHILDS, published in 1890, transcribed by Shirley Farone.

History of the Town of Champion from OUR COUNTY AND ITS PEOPLE by EDGAR C. EMERSON, 1898 thanks to Ray's Place.

History of the Town of Champion, taken from A HISTORY OF JEFFERSON COUNTY IN THE STATE OF NEW YORK by FRANKLIN B. HOUGH, A. M., M.D. linked from Shirley Farone's Home Page

HISTORY OF CHAMPION, JEFFERSON COUNTY, NY Revisited by Durant & Peirce 1878

A LIST OF CONTRIBUTORS for the Town of Champion in Durant & Peirce's History of Jefferson County, NY.


Town History

New York State Legislature created the Town of Champion from the Town of Mexico, now in Oswego County, 14 March 1800, making it one of the earliest townships of Jefferson County. At that time it included all of the Town of Denmark, Lewis County, north of the Deer River. Today's Champion is bounded on the west by Town of Rutland, northwest by Le Ray, northeast by Wilna, and the rest of the border is with Lewis County. Populated areas include Champion village, Great Bend, named for a bend of the Black River, and West Carthage village.


Booklet found in the State Library at Albany, NY

The Manual of the
FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH

OF CHAMPION, JEFF. CO., NEW YORK
ORGANIZED A. D., 1801

Repulican Print, Carthage, N.Y.


1877

OFFICERS OF THE CHURCH, JULY 1ST, 1877
Wm. T. OSMUN, Pastor, A.
Deacons:
Silas Freeman
Allen Merril
Lester Carter
J.A. Hubbard, Clerk
Fred C. Carter, Treasurer

Trustees:
Fred C. Carter
Elias Sage
Allen Merril

MEMBERS
Silas Freeman Mrs. Mary L. Humpherys
Elias Sage Mrs. Alphonzo Loomis
Allen Merrill Mrs. Elias Sage
J.A. Hubbard Mrs. Hiram Vibber
J.A. Hubbard, Jr. Mrs. Mary J. Babcock
Lester Carter Mrs. Daniel McNeal
Fred C. Carter Miss Data Knowles
Clark B. White Miss Besse Merrill
Rev. Wm. T. Osmun Miss Mary Martin
Merritt Smith Moss Ella Austin
Mrs. Silas Freeman Miss Cornelia M. Johnson
Mrs. Barnes Carter Miss Joana Austin
Mrs. Lester Carter Mrs. Joseph Peck
Mrs. Fred C. Carter Mrs. Merrit Smith
Mrs. E.C. Osmun Mrs. Edward Hubbard
Mrs. Clark B. White Miss Charille Hubbard

CHRONOLOGICAL HISTORY OF
THE TOWN OF CHAMPION

by Suzanne Calkins Wiley
Town Historian


1797

General Henry Champion purchased "Howard", Town #4 of the Macomb Purchase. Noadiah Hubbard, his land agent, and a surveyor, Joel Mix, rafted together down the Black River and staked out their lands.

1798

Hubbard and Mix, along with other single men, built cabins.

1799

In April, Mix's family, the first to settle in Jefferson County, came to West Carthage. In November, Hubbard's family rode in on horseback and settled the center of town. Mix built the first sawmill on the river bank, and Hubbard had a tavern near his cabin.


1800

January 9th, Joel Mix's daughter, Laura Mix, was born, the first birth in Jefferson County. March 14th, the New York legislature passed a bill forming the Town of Champion out of the Town of Mexico, along with the Town of Watertown. Both share the honor of being the first towns in what was later Jefferson County. April 1st, the first town meeting in Jefferson County was held in the home of Justice of the Peace, Joel Mix. Hubbard was elected the first supervisor. The census numbered 153 people.

1801

The First Congregational Church Society was formed and Hubbard put up a log schoolhouse at the town's expense.

1804

A post office opened, the second in the county. The first bridge over the Black River was constructed at Great Bend.

1807

General Champion gave two acres for a village green for naming the town for him. He also promised a bell for the Rev. Nathaniel Dutton's proposed Congregational Church. December 3rd, Rev. Dutton, the first minister to settle in Jefferson County, proclaimed a Day of Thanksgiving.


1810

Captain Noadiah Hubbard and Captain John McNitt formed two militia units and set about training raw recruits.

1812

A second bridge spanned the Black River at West Carthage.

1813

Champion militiamen fought at the Battle of Sackets Harbor.

1816

On Christmas Day the Congregationalists dedicated their church on the village green, the first church in Jefferson County. The bell, having been recast with silver dollars, rang and was heard for miles around the countryside.


1826

The Methodists constructed a wooden church at Francis-Babcock Corners near Great Bend.


1836

The Masons built a two-storied stone academy.


1841

The First Congregational Church was removed from the village green to the valley below for warmth and easier access by carriages.

1842

The Baptists opened a church in Great Bend.


1852

The Congregationalists opened a second church in West Carthage.

1853

The Methodists opened a second church in the hamlet of Champion.


1868

The Episcopalians purchased the Masonic Academy, took it down and using the same stones constructed the one story church and named it after St. John. Great Bend Paper Company opened in Great Bend.


1873

Champion Grange #18 was organized.

1875

With generous donations and help from the Central New York Deaconess, Mary Bradford Sterling Clark, First Trinity Chapel at Great Bend was dedicated by the Episcopalians.

1878

Frank W. Woolworth, a resident of Great Bend from the age of seven, successfully tried ou a five-and-ten-cent counter sale while a clerk in Moore's Store in Watertown. By 1912 he owned a mercantile empire of 596 stores using the same idea.


1884

Fire started in West Carthage and jumped the Black River. It burned most of the business district of Carthage.

1887

The Methodists closed their church at Francis-Babcock Corners and opened a new First Methodist Church in Great Bend.

1889

March 18th, the residents of Wet Carthage voted for the incorporation of their village, and elected Marcus P. Mason as their first president.


1896

March 4th, the West Carthage Fire Department was organized with David Trembly as the first chief.


Family Surname Files maintained by

Town of Champion Historian's Office


Family Surname Files

Allen
Andrus
Archer
Armstrong
Astafan
Babbitt
Babcock *
Barber
Barden
Barnes
Barr *
Becker
Bentley * + Emery
Blackman
Blanchard
Bohall
Bonaparte
Bossout
Brooks
Brown
Brown - Bradley
Brownell
Buck
Buckley
Bush
Buswell
Butler
Butterfield *
Campbell
Carter *
Carter - Deeds
Carter - Kellogg
Chamberlain
Champion - Gen
Chapin
Chase
Church
Clark- Siver
Clark - Property
Clemons
Clinchman
Coffeen
Cole *
Coburn

Colvin
Cook
Coon
Coughlin
Crandall *
Countryman
Crook
Cronk *
Cross
Crowner
Cutler
Dalton
Danielson
Danks
Davis
Dodge
Doolittle
Dorchester
Dorwin
Doud
Duffy
Dunaway
Durkee
Dutton
Earl - Earle *
Eddy
Eggleston -Eggleson
Ellis
Ensign
Eves
Fargo
Feistal
Ferguson
Flint
Fox
Francis
Freeman
French
Frink
Fuller
Fulton
Gaebel
Gaines
Gardiner

Garrett
Gates *
Gebo
Getman
Goldthrite
Goodrich
Granger
Graves
Green
Greenfield
Griswold
Guyette
Guyot
Hall
Harris *
Herrick
Hewitt
Hill
Hopkins
Horr
Hough
Howe
Humes
Hubbard *(8 files)
Ingraham
Jackson *
Jacobs
Johnson
Joslen
Keddy
Kellogg
Kelner
Kelsey
Kennedy
Kilborn
Knowles LaBarge - Gillet
Lackore
Lamb
Lanphear
Lansing
Lawler
LeRay

Lewis *
Locken
Logan
Loomis *
Mack
Manchester
Marsh
Martin *
Mason
Maxim
Mayhew
McCallops
McComb
McCuin
McNitt *
Merriam
Merill
Middleton
Miller
Mix
Mott
Murdock
Nevills
Nichols
Noble *
Olds
Olmsted
Olney
Orvis
Osterhout
Outterson
Paddock
Palmer
Pardee
Parks
Paul
Peck *
Pennock
Pfaff
Phelps
Pickert
Pierce
Plank
Plopper

Potter
Powers
Prentice *
Putnam
Randell
Rappelee
Rasbach
Raymond
Reeves
Rendle
Rice *
Richardson
Roberts
Rockwell *
Rockwood *
Rogers
Roggie
Rounds
Rowsam
Rudd
Rushlow
Sage
Sanderson
Sayre
Schwendy
Scott
Scoville
Sech
Shedd
Shepard
Sherman
Shew
Sicropi
Sisco
Sisson
Skinner
Smith
Soults
Starkweather
Starr
Stebbins
Steele
Steenbergh

Sterling
Stewart
Stoddard
Storrs
Stott
Studley
Swain
Thesier
Thomas
Tillotson
Townsend
Tripp
Tr bridge
Twining
Tyner
Van Brocklin
Van Patten
Van Sickle
Vargulick
Vary
Vrooman
Waite *
Waldo
Wangerin
Ward
Warner
Wheeler
Whitaker
White
Wiley
Williams
Wilmot
Wilson
Woodard
Woodruff
Woolworth
Zaph
Zehr



* Rev. Soldiers

NOTE! Names marked with an asterisk (*) are taken from Emerson, Edgar C.: OUR COUNTY AND ITS PEOPLE published 1898


From the 1864 Jefferson County Atlas: a summary of statistics for Champion
ACRES OF LAND
  Improved                   18,716 1/2
  Unimproved                  7,275

VALUATION
  Real Estate               534,599
  Personal Property          85,623
  Total                     620,222

m@POPULATION
  Males                       1,017
  Females                     1,009

Number of Dwellings             390

Number of Families              427

Freeholders                     315
SCHOOLS

  Number of Districts            17

  Children Taught               761

LIVE STOCK

  Horses                        649

  Working Oxen and Calves     1,032

  Cows                        1,941

  Sheep                       1,082

  Swine                         736

AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS

  Bushels of Grain

    Winter                    4,670

    Spring                   48,511 1/2

  Tons of Hay                 2,949

  Bushels of Potatoes        23,440

  Bushels of Apples          10,262 

  Dairy Products            

    Pounds of Butter        160,596

    Pounds of Cheese        148,718

YARDS OF DOMESTIC MANUFACTURE 1,126


Names of the early settlers

Alby, Eliphalet
Babcock, Jeremiah
Babcock, William P.
Barber, Armissa
Barber, Daniel
Barber, John Lansing
Barnes, Levi
Baudry
Buck, Benjamin [Hodad]
Boshall, Adam
Bradt, John
Brizzil, Isaac
Brooks, Thomas
Brown, Elam
Brown, James
Brundage, Nathan
Buell, Daniel
Butler, Simeon
Campbell, William
Canfield, John
Carter, Asa
Carter, Jonathan
Chamberlain, Ephraim
Chamberlain, James F.
Chapin, Gardner
Church, Eli
Clark, Enoch
Clarke, Jedediah
Clinchmen/Clintsman/Klinnsman, Christopher
Coffeen, Daniel
Coffeen, David
Colburn, Amos
Collins, Calvin
Collins, Isaac
Coughlin, George L.
Crandall, Constant
Crary, Joseph
Crook, Jacob
Crowell, William
Crowner, Philip
Davis, William
Derbyshire, William
Dorain, Andrew
Dorwin, Amos
Durkee, John
Dutton, Nathaniel
Earl, Otis
Eggleston, John A.
Ellis, Martin
Farley
Fisher, Michael
Francis, Thomas
FULTON, ELIJAH
Fulton, Elijah
Gardner, Henry
Goodrich, Moses
Goodwin, Joseph
Graves, Amos
Hadsall, John
Hadsall, William
Hall, Rowland
Harris, Asa
Hastings, John
Hayes, Roswell
Henderson, John
Holcomb, Laomi
Holcomb, Ozias
Hopkins, Joseph
Hopkins, Thomas
Hubbard, Abner
Hubbard, Bela
Hubbard, Fairchild
HUBBARD, Joel
Hubbard, Noahdiah
HUBBARD, William
Hubbell, Wolcott
Jackson, Daniel
JOHNSON, Caleb
Johnson, Steven
Jones, Elihu
Kemp, Matthew
Kent, Moss
Kilburn, Allen
Lewis, Abel P.
Lewis, Arnold
Lewis, Eseck
Lewis, Nicholas
Lewis, Rockey
Loomis, Jonathan
Loomis, Samuel
Martin, Joshua
Maxham, Samuel
McNitt, John
Merrill, Miner
Merrill, Moses C.
Miller, Constant
Miller, David
Miller, Jared
Miller, Jonathan
Mitchell, Jotham
Mix, Joel
Moseley, Harrison
Mustin, Harvey
McNett, James
Newton, Ethan
North, Darius
Paddock, Joseph
Pardee, John
Parker, Amaziah
Parks, John
Pearce, Olney
Pennock, Wilson
Perkins, Solomon Jr
Perkins, Sprague
Phelps, Roger
Pike, Benjamin
Pool, Timothy
Prentice, John
Reed, Jabez
Rice, Enos
Richardson, Wilkes
Rockwell, Zebulon
Rockwood, Heuber
Rockwood, William
Rood, Daniel
Rudd, Nathan
Sage, Elias
Saunders, Benjamin
Sharp, Peter
Simmons, Jacob
Smith, Eliphalet
Starr, David
Starr, Samuel
Stearns, Joshua
Stewart, Simeon
Stone, David
Storrs, Henry
Studley, Thomas
Ten Eyck, Egbert
Thomas, George
Thompson, James
Tifft, Joseph
Townsend, Joseph
Townsend, Timothy
Tripp, Isaac
Vrooman, John
Wait, Dorastus
Waldo, George
Ward, Comfort
Ward, John
Ward, Salmon
Ward, Thomas
Warner, Andrew
Warner, Stoel
Whaley, Hannah
Wheeler, Cornelius
Wheeler, Lewis
White, Abner
Whitney, Reuben
Wilcox, Jeptha
Williams, Asher
Wilmot, Asher
Woerner, Peter
Wood, John
Wright, Freedom
Young, David



If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact: Nancy Dixon

Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page

Copyright 2009 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project