The following family group descriptions are adapted from Hamilton Child's "Gazetteer of Jefferson County, N.Y.", published in 1890. The families are arranged alphabetically by township, and wherever possible, a link has been made to a Jefferson County Pioneer. We welcome any corrections and additions to the information presented.
This project has only been made possible through the efforts of several volunteers, directed by Shirley Farone, who has been a behind-the-scenes participant in this website from the very beginning. The original idea came from Sharon Patchett, who is also giving her time to the project. Sisters Marcia Alary and Barbara Britt, both of whom have been volunteering on other projects for the website, are also working on this, and the newest volunteer, Gary Roe, was one of the first to get his work in. We are grateful to each of them for making this material so easily available.
Amasa F. Allen, son of Amasa, was born in Otsego County, N.Y., and in 1845, when 18 years of age, came with his father to Jefferson County and located in the town of Theresa. In 1848 he married Adaline, daughter of Jacob Hart, of Le Ray, and in 1855 located at Champion Huddle, where he has since resided. August 23, 1864, he enlisted in Co. H, 186th Regt. N.Y. Vols, was wounded at the battle of Petersburg, and was discharged June 2, 1865. He has five children, namely: Mary E., E.J., Lydia A., Helen A., and Raymond H., all of whom reside in this county.
Jeremiah Babcock, from Rhode Island, located in Hamilton, Madison county, previous to 1800, and about 1820 he removed to Champion and located on the farm, on road 18, now owned by Mrs. Rackey L. Babcock. He had 12 children, eight of whom grew up and had families of their own, and resided in this town, namely: Christopher, Elias, Jeremiah, Jr., Ambrose S., William P., and Amy A. Elias Babcock came from Hamilton to Champion in 1820. He married Sarah Angel, and for two years after locating here worked by the month, when he bought the farm on road 14 now owned by his son H.D. He was prominent in town affairs, and was assessor for several years. Of his three children, Hiram A. died in Amboy, Ill.; Eunice A. married Joseph M. Gardner, and resides in Lowville, N.Y.; Horatio D. married Mary, daughter of William Bedell, of Denmark, Lewis County. He has been assessor for the past eight years and is engaged in farming. Ambrose S. Babcock was born in Hamilton, December 2, 1800. March 9, 1825, he married Hulda, daughter of Nathan Babcock, and in May, 1825, he located in Champion village, where he engaged in the cabinetmaking and undertaking business, which he continued until 1875. He was justice of the peace and town clerk for about 35 years, and also served as associate judge and supervisor. In politics he is an active and earnest Republican. He has four children, namely: Albert O., of New York city, Adelia R. (Mrs. O.L. Cutler), Maria A. (Mrs. M.G. Coughlan), and Althea J. (Mrs. O.W. Pierce), of this town.
William P. Babcock, son of Jeremiah, married Rackey L. Lewis, by whom he had five children, four of whom are living, viz.: W. A., in this town on a part of the old homestead; Esther (Mrs. E. Greenfield), with her mother; Lysander W., in West Carthage; and Elizur, in Watertwown. Mr. Babcock died in 1877. His widow survives and occupies the homestead.
Philip Beyer came from Baden, Germany, in 1852, to Croghan, N.Y. He married Louisa Scherer, and they had five sons and five daughters. Charles A. Beyer, the eldest of the sons, stayed at home until he attained the age of 16 years, when, in 1876, he removed to Carthage and worked for his board for L.F. Bachman while he attended school. After two terms at school he engaged as clerk in Mr. Bachman's drug and grocery store, where he continued until 1883, when he entered into copartnership with George E. Hull, M.D., at West Carthage, in the drug and grocery trade. In 1884 Dr. Hull's health failed and he sold his interest to Mr. Beyer, who continues the business in a new block which he erected in 1885, corner of Bridge and Main streets, in West Carthage. June 1, 1884, Mr. Beyer married Almeda Perry.
Adam Bohall came from Lowville, Lewis county, to Champion about 1804, and located on Martin Street, on the farm now owned by Seth Hastings. He married Margaret Van Dewalker and they had 12 children, four of whom survive, namely: Elmira (Mrs. Seth Hastings); Phoebe (Mrs. Henry Hastings), of Portland, Oregon; Issac A., of this town; and Adam, of Worcester, N. Y. Mr. Bohall died on the old homestead. William Bohall served at Sackets Harbor in the War of 1812. He died in this town at the age of 90 years, on the farm on Martin Street now occupied by his son.
George Bossuot, son of John Baptiste Bossuot, was the first white child born in Wilna, March 6, 1804, and he died November 7, 1871. He married, first, Margaret Lafave, and located in Champion on the farm now owned by Philip Hull. He married, second, Mary Panto, and they had five children. He had seven children by his first wife. Leander E. Bossuot, son of George, was born March 26, 1843. In 1863 he enlisted in Co. A, 20th N.N. Cav., and was discharged in 1865. He married Mary M., daughter of Henry Linstruth, of Croghan, Lewis County, and located in West Carthage, where he is now engaged in mercantile pursuits. He has one daughter, Gertie W.
Elias Briggs, son of Enos, was born in Pownal, Vt. He married Clarissa, daughter of Benjamin Thurber, of Petersburg, N.Y., and subsequently removed to Williamstown, Mass. About 1836 he located in Champion, on the farm now owned by Tabor Clark, where he resided until his death. Of his eight children, four are living, viz.: Nelson F., in Philadelphia; Darius K., in Champion; Bethany A. (Mrs. Wesley-Barr), in West Carthage; and Wesley E., on Martin street, in this town. Wesley E. Briggs, youngest child of Elias and Clarissa Briggs, was born in Champion , March 16, 1841. When 21 years of age he married Paulina C., daughter of Theodorus Buck, and they have a daughter, Lulah, who is 14 years of age. Mr. Briggs is prominent in the affairs of the town and is serving his second term as supervisor.
William Britland, a native of Derbyshire, Eng., located in the town of Carthage, at Great Bend, about 1842, and a few years later removed to Carthage, where he resided about 20 years, when he removed to Harrisville, Lewis County, where he died in 1884. He was a miller, and was well known in this county. He married Hannah Rumford, and they had four children, three of whom are living, namely: Emma (Mrs. Milton Osborn), in Harrisville; William, in Nevada City, Cal., and George J., in this town. George J. Britland was born September 7, 1843. September 11, 1862, he enlisted in Co. D, 10th Regt. N.Y.H.A., and was discharged July 5, 1865. In 1878 he married Elizabeth, daughter of Job Cudworth, and they have one son, William Herbert. Mr. Britland has been in the employ of M.P. Mason since 1865.
Ephraim Brown, with his two sons, Warren and Solomon, were natives of Chittenden County, Vt. They enlisted in the War of 1812, and were with General Scott at Lundy's Lane where the father received his death wound. The sons were both wounded in the battle of Chippewa. Warren was struck by a bullet in the right side of the face, which fractured his jaw and knocked out three teeth. He was in the hospital at Buffalo and rejoined his regiment at Sackets Harbor, where he was discharged at the close of the war, and he immediately located in the town of Champion. In 1819 or '20 he married Anna, daughter of Thomas Crook, of Champion, and first located upon the farm now owned by S. Loomis. About 1839 he bought the farm now owned by his son Albert H., where he resided until his death. He was a pensioner. Of his six children, four are living, namely; Thomas, in Leyden, N.Y., and William, Emeline, and Albert H., in this town. William enlisted in Co. M, 5th N.Y.H.A., August 13, 1862, and was mustered out July 10, 1865. Albert H. married, first, Emily C. Colston, by whom he had two children, one of whom, Warren C., is living and resides in this town. He married, second, Mary A., daughter of Harvey Doud, of Champion, by whom he has a daughter, Lena A. Mr. Brown has in his possession a letter dated in 1835, on which the domestic postage was 25 cents.
John A. Brown, son of James, was born in Swanton, Vt., in 1818, and there resided until he was 16 years of age, when he located with his father in St. Lawrence County. He was a merchant at De Kalb for about 15 years, and was subsequently engaged in the same business in Angelica, Cuba, and Wellsville, N.Y. September 6, 1861 he enlisted in the Union army, and was captain of Co. H, 85th Regt. N.Y. Vols. He served in seven general engagements and nine skirmishes. After his term of three years was ended he reenlisted and served until the battle of Fort Gray, where he commanded the Union forces and was taken prisoner. He was first taken to Andersonville prison, and was confined in eight different prisons before he was released, a year later, at the close of the war. After his discharge he located in Carthage and engaged in the grocery business, but was obligated to discontinue it on account of ill health. He served as justice of the peace in Wilna. About 1874 he located in West Carthage, where he was justice of the peace until his death. Mr. Brown married, first, Amelia Thompson, and second, Harriet E., daughter of Jeremiah Babcock, who was a native of Champion. By the second wife he had two children, namely: Ada A., who married M. Gardiner, and resides in Palmville, N.Y., and Alice, who died at the early age of four years. Mr. Brown died July 4, 1882. His widow resides in West Carthage village.
Lewis E. Bushnell, son of Lewis, of Le Ray, was born in Clinton County, N.Y., in 1852. In 1882 he married Amelia B., daughter of Frank Plumbtree, and located in Great Bend, where he now resides. He is a carpenter and is employed by the Great Bend Paper Co.
William Campbell came from New Hampshire to Washington County, and thence to the town of Champion about 1800, locating on a farm, corner of roads 51 and 52, where his grandson, William A. Campbell, now lives. He kept a hotel here several years. He married Easter Fletcher, by whom he had seven children. John, son of William, was born in 1804. He married Minerva Campbell, and they resided on the old homestead. He had five children, of whom two are living, namely: Myra (Mrs. J.AR. Agens), of Denmark, Lewis County, and William A., mentioned above. The latter married Harriet, daughter of William Vrooman,of Denmark, and they have three sons and two daughters, namely: Nettie C., Arthur H., Myra S., Berney, and Homer.
Asa T. Carter, son of Asa B., was born October 23, 1828. In 1850 he married Amanda, daughter of Jude Cross, of Champion, and in 1867 located on the farm where he now resides. He is a Republican and is well known in the county. He has been deputy sheriff 20 years, was justice of the peace 11 years, and was the first station agent at the depot at Great Bend, which position he held nine years. He has three children, namely: Imogene M. (Mrs. Zuriel Sarvay), of Wilna; A.B., of Carthage; and Cora A., a teacher, who resides at home.
Frederick C. Carter, son of Asa Barnes and Sheloma (Thompson) Carter, was born in this town, December 2, 1839, on a farm situated five miles north of Carthage, on the river road. His father settled there in 1828, soon after his marriage. Here Frederick lived until he was 10 years old, when his father bought the farm on which Frederick now lives. When Frederick attained his majority he worked by the month till 1861, when he enlisted in Co. D, 10th N.Y.H.A. The regiment was immediately called to Washington, but his battalion, the Fourth, stopped on Staten Island. In June of the following year they were also called to Washington, where they remained nine months, when they were sent to Petersburg. The regiment was under General Sheridan in the Shenandoah Valley and participated in the memorable battle of Petersburg. They were mustered out of service June 23, 1865, and returned to Sackets Harbor, where they received their pay. On the 22nd of February, 1866, Mr. Carter married Miss Eliza Graves, of this town, and settled on his father's farm, which he had previosly purchased of the heirs, his father having died in 1864. To Mr. and Mrs Carter have been born the following children: Asa B., Fred L., Milton G., and Leon T.
O.H. Caswell was born in Theresa, September 17, 1835. He married Lovina M. Tooker, daughter of William, and located in West Carthage about 1865, where he is a well-known carpenter and builder. His daughter Ella L. married, first, Dr. George E. Hull, and second, Byron G. Seamons, and resides in Richfield Springs, N.Y.
Silas H. Chapin came from Tyringham, Mass., to Champion in the fall of 1830, and the following spring located on the farm now occupied by his son S. G. He married, first, Clarinda Knowles, by whom he had one son, S. G. By his second wife, Fanny, daughter of Samuel Orvis, he had a daughter, Sylvia C., who married Henry Remington. He died in 1866 and his wife in 1869. Sylvester G. Chapin was born in 1831. In 1852 he married Chloe Leonard, daughter of Dennis, by whom he had one child, Georgia A., who died in 1884. He married second, Philena, daughter of Daniel Abbey, of Clayton, by whom he has five children, namely: Edith C., Mildred C., Allie E., Blanche, and Myrtle, all of whom reside with their parents. Mr. Chapin is a prominent farmer in this town. He was commissioner of highways for about 18 years.
William Clark removed from East Hampton, Conn., to Trenton, N.Y., and in 1835 located in the town of Champion, on the farm now owned by his son J. Hayden. He married Sophronia Post, and they had four children, namely: William H., of Pinckney, Lewis County, Thomas N., Mrs. Sophronia M. Stewart, and J. Hayden, of Champion. The latter married, first, Maria, daughter of James Fulton, by whom he had a son, Chauncey H., who resides in this town. He married, second, Mrs. Susan Gates, and third, Mrs. Lydia M. Southworth, of Rutland, daughter of John M. Clark. Chauncey H. Clark was born in this town. He married Gertrude, daughter of Theodorus Buck, and they have two children, Jay and Fred.
Calvin M. Clemons, son of Henry, was born in the town of Lyme, October 18, 1845. August 27, 1864, he enlisted in Co. H, 186th Regt. N.Y. Vols., participated in the battle of Petersburg, and was discharged June 2, 1865. In 1872 he married Sarah, daughter of William E. Williams, of Watertown, and located on the farm where he now resides. He has four children, namely: Helen A., Evan H., Rachel M., and Wallace.
William Clickner, son of Andrew, was born in Hardenberg, Germany, July 1, 1842. At the age of 17 years he immigrated to this country and located in Troy, N.Y., where he resided 10 years, when he removed to Great Bend, in this town. He married, first, Minnie Schlosser, of Troy, who bore him one son, Charles, who resided in Watertown, and died in 1868. He married, second, Mary A. Kause, by whom he has four children, Robert T., Matilda A., Mary, and William L. Mr. Clickner came to this town in 1869, and is employed by the Great Bend Paper Company.
Jonathan Covey, with his wife and three children, from Washington County, N.Y., located in the town of Rutland in March, 1801, on the farm now owned by M.L. Graves. He brought with him two yoke of oxen, and from Lowville his only guide through the forest was blazed trees. His daughter Polly was the second white female child born in the town of Rutland. She was born August 9, 1801. After a few years' residence in Rutland he bought an adjoining farm in the town of Champion, where he resided for a time, when he removed to St. Lawrence County, from whence, after 12 years' residence, he located in Wilna, where he died. Of his family of four sons and four daughters, three sons are living, namely: Cyrenius, of Felt's Mills, aged 86 years; Philip, of Wilna, aged 84 years; and Alfred, of West Carthage, aged 72 years. The later married Mary Lanphear, daughter of Lewis, by whom he has a daughter, Mary L., widow of Henry Jones, who has a daughter, Hattie, aged 14 years, and resides with her father.
Jude Cross was one of the early settlers of Jefferson County, coming here from Berkshire, Mass. He taught school in the town of Rutland and there married Sophia, daughter of Silas Fairbanks, and located on the farm now occupied by Mr. Larrabee, but after a few years he removed to Antwerp, where he resided about 30 years. He then located in Champion, where he died. He was a justice of the peace in Antwerp for several years. Of his five children, Jude resides in Vineland, N.J.; Sophia (Scram), in Antwerp; Amanda (Mrs. A.T. Carter), in this town; Andrew died in Great Bend, and Sophronia in Vineland, N.J.
Peter Crowner, the progenitor of those of that name now residing in Jefferson County, settled in Champion about 1803 of '04, on the farm now owned by Josiah Phelps. He reared a large family, and numerous of his descendants now reside in the county.
Job Cudworth, a native of Hampshire County, Mass., married Roxana, daughter of Stephen Noyes, and in 1874 located in Carthage village. He entered the employ of Hoyt & Dickerman as foreman of their tannery, and died in West Carthage in 1884. His widow survives, and resides with her daughter, Mrs. George J. Britland.
W. G. Dealing, son of Samuel A., was born in Moscow, N.Y., March 15, 1829. His parents died when he was an infant, and when 18 months old he was taken to Oneida County to live with his grandfather, Samuel Dealing, who subsequently located in the town of Ellisburgh. August 21, 1862, W. G. Dealing enlisted in Co. M, 5th N.Y.H.A., and was discharged June 26, 1865. He married Roxy, daughter of Medad McTyre, of Denmark, N.Y., and they have five children, namely: W.E, Anna E., Ella N., Charles E., and George A. They reside in West Carthage.
Harvey Doud, a native of Vermont, came to Champion about 40 years ago. He was a cooper and carried on his business at Champion village. He married Mary Ann Alphee, and they had eight children, only one of whom, Mrs. A.B. Brown, is living in the county.
Amos Draper, who served in the Revolutionary war and was one of General Washington's body-guard, came from Argyle, R.I., to Champion about 1804, and located on a part of the Isaac Bohall farm, where he remained a few years, when he removed to Wilna, where he died. Samuel Draper, son of Amos, married Rebecca Gilbert and settled in West Carthage, a few years later removing to the farm now occupied by Adelma Taskett, on Draper hill. He married, second, Elizabeth Mosher. He had eight children, seven by his first wife and one by his second. Three of his children are living, namely: Chester, Jennie, and Charles. Chester served in Co. B, 35th Regt. N.Y. Vols., two years, and now resides in Baltimore, Md. Gilbert served in Co. A, 14th N.Y.H.A., and was killed in front of Petersburg, June 17, 1864. Jennis married Rev. Solomon Breen and resides in Boston. Charles Draper enlisted in Co. I, 94th Regt. N.Y. Vols., November 4, 1861, and was discharged October 7, 1862, by reason of general disability. July 7, 1863, he reenlisted in Co. A, 20th N.Y. Cav., and was discharged at Annapolis, Md., June 17, 1865. He was taken prisoner January 13, 1865, while on picket duty.
Nathaniel Dutton was born in Hartford, Vt., September 28, 1779. He was a lineal descendant of John Dutton, who came from England in 1630. He graduated at Dartmouth College in 1802, the year following the one in which Daniel Webster received his collegiate honors, and with whom Mr. Dutton was somewhat acquainted. The standard of scholarship was much lower at that time than now, the course requiring but three years, with often meagre preparation. After finishing the course at Dartmouth he taught a winter school at Hatfield, Mass., and two or more terms at Northampton. He studied theology with Dr. Lyman, of Hatfield, whose church was the one he first joined. He was ordained at Westfield, Mass., March 5, 1805. Having been engaged by the Hampshire Missionary Society to make a tour of the Black River country, he started out on horseback April 30, 1806, reaching Utica a week later, making 30 miles a day over bad roads. At Lowville he was entertained by Capt. Rogers, who built the first frame dwelling in that village. Here he met Rev. Mr. Phelps, of Westfield, Mass., who was to be his companion on the journey. After making the tour of the county, and as far south as Rome and "Salt Springs" (Salina), they returned by the same route. He was installed over the church in Champion, May 21, 1807, where he preached with a few intermissions until his death, September 9, 1852. He assisted in forming churches in Denmark, Le Ray, Alexandria, West Carthage, Philadelphia, and other towns. February 15, 1808, he married Sally Ward, of Middletown, Conn., sister of Mrs. Noadiah Hubbard. Of six children, three are living, viz.: E. B. Dutton, the eldest, a farmer, now of Watertown; Mrs. Sarah Graves, of Social Circle, Ga., and Mrs. Judge Pace, of Covington, Ga. Three are deceased: Mrs. Eunice Baker, of Augusta, Ga., who died in 1888; Miss Warrent Dutton, who died in 1887; and J.H. Dutton, attorney, of Watertown, who died in 1860. During the first 25 years of his residence in Champion there was seldom a time when there were not more or less students under his care, for higher schools were not as common then as now. During one winter they numbered 14, part of whom were boarders in the family. Grammar, Latin, Greek, and the higher branches were taught. Among those who afterward became ministers were Mr. Munroe, who preached at Lowville and Rodman; James Page, Azariah Hall, and Augustus Richards.
Prosper L. Eaton was born in Canada, February 1, 1836. When 20 years of age he removed to Illinois, where he resided two years, when he returned to Canada. In 1864 he engaged in the sash and door business in Gouverneur, N.Y., where he remained until 1882, when he located in West Carthage and engaged in the same business, which he now continues in company with his son Charles E. He married Josephine A. Read, and they have four children, Charles E., George L., Amy, and William, all of whom reside in West Carthage
John Failing, Jr., was born in St. Johnsville, N.Y. and in 1835 removed with his parents to Pamelia, and located on the farm now owned by Mr. Flander. He had eight children who attained maturity, of whom Reuben and Menzo died at home; Benjamin lives in Clayton; Elizabeth (Mrs. Thomas Mowerson), in Iowa; Nancy (Mrs. John Dillenbeck) and James in Le Ray; Kate (Mrs. L. J. Jennings), in Antwerp; and Isaiah, in West Carthage village. Isaiah Failing was born in 1822. In 1849 he married Julia A., daughter of Enoch Swartout, of Pamelia, and resided with his father until 1856, when he removed to the town of Le Ray, locating near Evans Mills, where he carried on farming for 27 years. He reared four children, namely: Della J., who died at the age of 20 years; Elwood R., who lives in Sherburne, N.Y.; Eunice E. (Mrs. H.E. Van Brocklin), who lives with her father; and Frank A., who resides in West Carthage, and is engaged in business in Carthage village. Mr. Failing located in West Carthage in 1884.
Harvey D. Farrar was born in Marlboro, N.H., March 2, 1828. He married, first, Carrie R. McCallister, and second, Ellen R. McCallister. He came to Champion in 1853, and in 1856 built a woodenware factory at West Carthage. This factory has been burned and rebuilt three times. Mr. Farrar is an active member of the Baptist Church, and contributes liberally to its support. O.C. Ferguson, son of Franklin, was born in Clayton, August 22, 1846. October 14,1861, he enlisted in Co. D, 94th Regt. N.Y. Vols., and served in the battles of Cedar Mountain, Rappahannock, Rapidan, and second Bull Run. He was wounnded in the last named battle, and was taken prisoner, and in 1862 was discharged from the hospital at Alexandria. In July, 1863, he reenlisted in Co. E., 20th Regt. N.Y. Cav., and was discharged in August, 1865. He married Catharine Hogan, and they have three children and reside at Great Bend.
Dennis Flander, Jr., from Montgomery County, N.Y., located at Pamelia Four Corners as a farmer. He married Charity Doxstater, and they had four sons and one daughter, of who three sons survive, namely: William, who resides in Boylston, Oswego County; Jeremiah A., of Ellisburgh; and Reuben W. The latter was born in Pamelia, November 2, 1841. August 20, 1861, he enlisted in Co.I, 186th Regt. N.Y. Vols., and was discharged July 19, 1865, by reason of the loss of the left arm while on picket duty at Petersburg, Va. He was in the engagement at Hatcher's Run, and also at Petersburg. He married Sarah A., daughter of Peter Clintsman, of Wilna, and they have had 11 children, five of whom are now living, namely: Nettie, Nellie, Charles H., Fred L., and Harry R. Mr. Flander occupies the O.W. Wilmot farm, on road 39, in this town.
Parker Fletcher removed from Johnson, Vt., to Gouverneur, N.Y., about 1829. He died at the advanced age of 98 years. He had four sons and two daughters. of whom Orin is the only survivor. Orin Fletcher was born in Johnson, Vt., January 1, 1816, from which place he removed to Carthage in 1844. In 1846 he married Sophia, daughter of Alson Holcomb, of Champion, where he has since resided, engaged in farming. He has had six children,- three sons and three daughters- four of whom are living, Loren A., in Champion village; Gilbert B., in Springfield, Mass.; Martha S. (Mrs. W. A. Munger), of Copenhagen, Lewis County; and Orin, Jr., who married Clara I., daughter of Samuel A. Loomis, of this town and resides with his father. Loren A. Fletcher was born June 29, 1846. He married Anna Belle, daughter of Samuel Patterson, of Carthage, and they have a daughter, Bertha M.
Oliver Fountaine, son of J.B., was born in St. Remis, Canada, March 13, 1842. In 1858 he located in Copenhagen, N.Y., and September 12, 1862, enlisted in Co. M, 5th Regt. N.Y.H.A., with which company he served about 15 months, when he was transferred to the Veteran Reserve Corps, and was assigned to Capt. N.S. Hill's company. He was afterwards assigned to General Halleck's headquaters, where he acted as orderly until June 26, 1865, when he was discharged. In 1859 he married Octavia M. Twombly, of Watertown, and in 1865 located in West Carthage, where he has since resided. He has two children, namely: Octavia C., who married William De Zotelle, by whom she has one son, William Fountaine; and Ollie A., who lives at home.
Alfred Freeman, from Vermont, located in Wilna about 1808, on a farm now owned by Guy Penniman, where he built what was known as the "checkered house." He had six sons and five daughters, of whom Charles M., who resides in Montana, is the only one living. Erastus B. Freeman married Abi, daughter of John Strickland, Jr., and settled in the northern part of the town, on a farm now owned by J.H. Dawley. After 14 years' residence here he removed to Great Bend, where he died. He had eight children, all of whom attained maturity and married, and six are now living, namely: Amelia (Mrs. Sylvester Loomis), of Champion: Helen (Mrs. Clark Loomis), also of Champion; Almira C. (Mrs. Charles Roberts), of Felt's Mills; Martha A. (Mrs. T.B. Phelps), of Lowville; and John E. and George E., of Great Bend.
Norman J. Fuller, son of Jacob, was born July 26, 1830. In 1867 he married Mrs. Jerusha A. King, daughter of William J. Armstrong, of Wilna, and located in this town on the farm of 300 acres on road 11 now owned by him. Mrs. Fuller had three children by her first husband, Willard King, namely: William O., who resides in this town; Susan M., who resides with her stepfather; and Frank E., who died in Carthage leaving a widow and one son. Mr. and Mrs. Fuller had three children, namely: Alfred N., a clerk for O.S. Levis, of Carthage; and Ella S. and Emma J., who reside with their father in Carthage. Mrs. Fuller died February 18, 1872.
James Glazier, Jr., son of James and Lovisa (Hubbard) Glazier, was born in Lowville, N.Y., September 27, 1844. When 18 years of age he enlisted in Co. M, 5th N.Y.H.A. and served three years. He was taken sick the second year of his service, and was in the hospital in Baltimore six months, when he returned to his regiment. During six months of his service he was on detached duty in Frederick City, Mo. His health was ruined in the service of his country, and for the past year had been confined to his house. He married Margaret Rabb while home on furlough, and they have one daughter, Emily (Mrs. William Austin).
Thomas Goldthrite, a native of Connecticut, was the first of that name to locate in Jefferson County. He first settled in Le Ray, thence removed to Champion, and subsequently to Michigan. He had three sons and three daughters, of whom Sylvester, the eldest, settled in Champion and married Elizabeth Peck, by whom he had three sons and three daughters, of whom four are living, namely: Phebe (Mrs. M. Randall), Joseph, and Benoni, who reside in this town and William who resides in Michigan. Benoni Goldthrite married Tamer Clark, of Rutland, and located in Champion, where he now resides. He enlisted in Co. B, 193d Regt. N.Y. Vols., March 15, 1865, and was discharged January 29, 1866. He has had 10 children, five sons and five daughters, all of whom are living, namely: Chester, Mary J., William W., Sarah A., Charles, Joseph, George, Elizabeth, Emma, and Ella. Chester and William W. served in the late war.
William W. Goldthrite, son of Benoni, was born in Rutland, October 23, 1842. January 6, 1862, he enlisted in Co. B, 94th N.Y. Vols., and participated in the battles of Cedar Mountain, second Bull Run, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Petersburg, Weldon Railroad, Hatcher's Run, Gravelly Run, Five Forks, Rappahannock Station, Groveton, Thoroughfare Gap, Gainsville, Poplar Springs Church, Dabney's Mills, Quaker Road, Royalston, White Oak Roads, and Appomattox, besides several minor engagements. He was taken prisoner twice, and was discharged July 18, 1865. September 23, 1869, he married Emeline A., daughter of A. M. Peterson, of Watertown, and they have three children, Fay W., Edith May, and Ruth T. He resides in the village of Great Bend in this town.
Daniel Grant, a native of Rutland, Vt., located in Denmark, Lewis County, in 1804, and in 1812 married Mercy Anderson, of that town. After a few years' residence in Lewis County he removed to Champion and first located on the farm now owned by Thomas Brown. About 1857 he removed to the farm now occupied by E. E. Phillips, where he resided until his death. He was one of the pioneer Methodists in this county, and with his wife joined the church when living in Denmark. He had no children of his own, but brought up Sophronia F. Murphy, who married E. E. Phillips, and occupies the homestead. Mr. and Mrs. Phillips have two children, Sylvester M. and Mabel L.
Elisha Greenfield came from Trenton N.Y., to Champion in 1823, and located upon the farm now owned by Merritt Smith, where he carried on the tailors' trade. He had seven children, five of whom are living, namely: Wyatt, of Watertown; Hiram, of Michigan; Abner, of Felt's Mills; Ellen (Mrs. Willard Gunn), of Hartford, Mich.; and Elisha B., who married Esther M. Babcock and resides with his mother-in-law, Mrs. R. L. Babcock.
William Hadsall came from Washington County to Champion in 1800, and located on the farm on road 23 now occupied by his grandson, A.W. Hadsall, where he took up 200 acres of wood land. He died in 1813, leaving a family of ten children. Solomon, son of William, bought the homestead farm, and here resided until his death in 1871. He married Ann Munson, and they had six children, five of whom attained maturity and four are living, namely: Thomas, in Champion; A.W., in Black River Village; Delia A.(Mrs. C.A. Clark), in Carthage, Dakota; and Ambrose S., in Wilmington, Ill.
Peletiah Hall, who served in the War of 1812, came with his brother Roland to Champion about 1803. He worked out for a few years, when he bought the farm on road 53 now owned by his son Porter. Here he resided until 1847, when he removed to Champion village where he died in 1864. He married Abul, daughter of Thomas Cook, by whom he had six children, namely: Chauncey, who died in Philadelphia; Ferdinand, who died in Champion; Onias, who resides at Dodge Center, Minn.; William, of Martinsburg, N.Y.; and Porter and L.A., of this town. L.A. Hall was born May 16, 1829. He married Achsah L., daughter of George Shepard, of Turin, N.Y., in 1857,and in 1863 located upon the farm on road 40, which he now occupies. He has one son, Charles B. Politically Mr. Hall has always been a Democrat.
John Hasting, from Massachusetts, was one of the pioneer settlers of Champion. He located on road 29, on the farm now occupied by Duane Potter. He had seven children, one of whom, Seth, survives, and resides on road 15 in this town. Seth Hasting married Elmira, daughter of Adam Bohall, and they have two children, namely: Emogene M. (Mrs. Morris Miller), who resides with her father, and Emenel, who resides in this town. The latter married Charity A., daughter of Tabor Clark, and they have three children, Nelson H., Genie, and Myra C.
Asa Harris came to Champion in 1803, and located on the farm now occupied by Chester Harris. He was a major of militia and served in the War of 1812. He married Rachel Farr and they had 10 children, equally divided as to sex, of whom three are living: Mrs. Rachel Loomis, of Champion; Morgan L., of New York city; and Amanda (Mrs. Riley Andrus), of Texas.
Leonard Harris was born in Herkimer County in 1792 and when quite young his father settled in school district No. 6, of this town, west of Champion village, on a tract of 200 acres, which he purchased of the Champion estate. Here Leonard was raised amid the hardships and privations of pioneer life, receiving such education as his surroundings afforded. At the age of 20 he married Miss Lucinda Thompson, of this town, and built him a log house on his grandfather's farm in the same neighborhood. He lived here for two years, when he removed into a new frame building, which he built on the same farm. This he occupied till 1849, when he purchased of the heirs his father's estate on the old State road, between Champion and Rutland, where he died January 24, 1873. The children born to him were as follows: Roena, who now resides at Natural Bridge, this county; Alfred, who died in 1858; Rachel, who resides in Wayne County; Clarissa, who lives in Pulaski, Oswego County; Guilford, who resides in town; Lovica, who died in Chicago, Ill. in 1874; Erastus, who is a resident of this town; Chester, who resides on his father's homestead; and Jane S., who lives at Copenhagen, Lewis County. Mr. Harris was a soldier of the War of 1812, and was a pensioner of that war at the time of his death. Mrs. Harris died in August, 1831, when their youngest child, Chester, was but one year old. He was married again in 1833, and his widow now survives him.
Solomon Hopkins was born February 17, 1778. He came from South Kingston, R.I., to Champion in 1803, and located on the farm on Martin street now owned by his son Joel R. He took up a tract of 50 acres, to which he added by purchase, making a farm of 123 acres. He was an upright and well-known citizen, was school commissioner several terms, and also assessor and highway commissioner. His second wife was Levina, sister of Capt. J.P. Rice, by whom he had eight children, five sons and three daughters, three of whom are living, namely: Hiram B. and David W., who reside in Rundell's, Pa., and Joel R., of Champion. The latter was born April 9, 1819, on the farm where he now resides. He married, first, Harriet C., daughter of Oren Brown, who died in 1851. He married, second, Prudence H., daughter of Peter Swinburne, of Denmark, N.Y., by whom he has four children, namely: S.D., a lawyer, who is engaged in mining in Colorado; J.S., a physician in New York city; J.L., also a physician in New York; and J. Lulu (Mrs. W.S. McAllister), of Carthage. Mr. Hopkins was a school teacher in his younger days, but has spent most of his life-time in farming.
Joel Hubbard, with his brothers Noadiah, Fairchild, Bela, and Stephen, came from Middletown, Conn., some time previous to the settlement of the "Black River country," and located in Steuben, Oneida County. They left one brother on the old homestead at Middletown, and his posterity are numerous there at the present time. There are also two sisters in this family of eight children, which, with its numerous descendants, may be worthy of a passing notice as noted for the longevity of its members. Joel Hubbard came with the other brothers mentioned from Steuben to Champion in the year 1799. Noadiah Hubbard had previously visited the town and made a clearing where Champion Village now is. Joel took up a wilderness farm, erected a log hut, and with his wife, whose maiden name was Mercy Austin, to whom he was married in Steuben in 1797, bravely commenced the struggle for existence. Joel and Mercy Hubbard were the parents of 13 children, four of whom died in infancy. The remaining nine lived to an advanced age. Their names were Edward, Clement, Joel A., Charles, Wealthy, Phoebe, Julia Ann, Laura and Cherille, all of whom, with the exception of the latter, married early in life, settled in Champion, and raised families. There survive at the present writing (1889) three of this remarkable family, viz.: Edward S., who resides with a married daughter near Champion Village; Mrs. Wealthy Knowles, relict of the late R.K. Knowles, of West Carthage, to whom we are indebted for many of the facts herein given; and Miss Cherille, a maiden lady residing with a niece near Carthage. Mrs. Knowles is a remarkably preserved woman at the advanced age of 88 years, having a memory extending back almost to the beginning of the present century. She is quite deaf, but otherwise is in the possession of all her faculties. She was the first woman in the town of Champion who signed the pledge of total abstinence, in the summer of 1829, and she says: "What is better, I have always kept." She is the mother of six children, all of whom are living.
Joel Austin Hubbard, mentioned above, who died in
1888, became the possessor of a farm which was originally deeded,
in 1807, from Storrs and Champion, the old land-holders, to Joel
Hubbard, his father, of whom he purchased it in 1835, and upon
which he always after lived, and which upon his decease the
property of his son, J. Austin Hubbard, Jr., who is thus not only
in possession of the old family name, but also of an estate which
has descended through three generations in the same family. The
old original deed is shown and is an interesting document. Among
many well-known and respected descendants of this family we will
mention F.H, and E.H, McNitt, of Copenhagen, N.Y., Edwin C., Alfred
O., and Joel C. Hubbard, all farmers, of Champion; Charles L. and
Samuel Knowles, of Carthage; besides many others. Five of Joel
Hubbard's grandchildren are resident of Michigan, Illinois,
Nebraska and Missouri. The farm which Joel Hubbard cleared, and
upon which he lived to the day of his death, is now owned by T.M.
Hadsall, near Champion Village. Upon this farm, and almost as good
as new, stands a large stone barn, which, according to the legend
inscribed upon a large block of granite in the fron gable, was
erected by "Joel Hubbard in 1829."
Joel Hubbard's descendants are not among those who have aspired to great wealth or high position, but to those humbler virtues of temperance and honest industry which are their own best reward. They are almost without exception, even to the third and fourth generation, a race of farmers, and are successful in their chosen vocation.
Ward Hubbard was born in Oneida County, September 26, 1797, and came with his father, Noadiah, to this town in 1799. He was a prominent farmer, and held several town offices. He married Clarissa S. Fish, and they had one son and six daughters, of whom two daughters, Mary and Clara E., are living and reside in Watertown.
Philip Hull, son of William, was born in Norfolk County, Eng., in 1829, and in 1837 came to this country with his grandfather, William, who settled in Westmoreland, Oneida County, N.Y. in 1848, and there resided until his death. Philip lived with his grandfather until he attained his majority. In 1852 he married Lucia L. Crosby, of Swan Creek, Ohio, and in 1866 located in the town of Rutland, where he resided four years, when he removed to Champion, locating on road 29. Here he remained until 1883, where he removed to West Carthage village, where he now resides. He has had five children, namely: William P., who resides in West Carthage; Ella M., who died young; George E., a physician, who died in this town in 1884 aged 25 years; Fred R., who died in 1882, aged 20 years; and Charles J., a practicing physician in West Carthage. Charles J. Hull graduated from the Eclectic College in New York city, in 1881, locating first in Croghan, Lewis County, remaining one year, when he removed to Madison, N.Y., where he remained six years, when he located in West Carthage.
Daniel Jackson, Sr., came from Vermont to Champion about 1804, and located on the farm, on road 29, now owned by W. Bohall, where he resided until his death. Of his 12 children, five are living. Daniel Jackson, Jr., was born in Champion, October 13, 1815. He married first, Elizabeth Johnson, and second, Lucinda, daughter of Joseph Sanders, of Wilna. In 1860 he located on the farm now occupied by his son Byron S. Byron S. Jackson married Clara, daughter of Amos and Mary (Child) Evans, of Le Ray.
Elihu Jones came from Connecticut into Champion in the spring or summer of 1798, and purchased 100 acres of land about one and three-fourths miles west of Champion Village. He made a small clearing and built a log shanty, and returned to Connecticut; in 1799 he returned with his wife, accompanied by William Davis, his brother-in-law, and his family. Mr. Jones sold to Davis 40 of those 100 acres, retaining the balance. Davis raised a large family of children and lived on this 40 acres till he died, a very old man. Jones had but one child, a daughter, born in 1800, who married Hubby Dorwin, and lived on the old place till about 1840, when they moved to Champion Village.
William H. King enlisted in Co. C, 27th Regt. Iowa Vols., October 3, 1862. He was severely wounded in the battle of Shiloh, and died in hospital a few days after from the effects of his wounds. He was also in the service in Minnesota, when the Indians were so troublesome there. He married Jerusha Armstrong, of Wilna, by whom he had three children, namely: Susan M., of Carthage; Frank E., deceased; and William O., of Champion. William O. married first, Elva E., daughter of E.J. Pennock, and by her had two children, William H. and Elva E., both of whom are deceased. He married, second, Adelia E. Forsythe, of whom he has a son, Frank W.
Jacob Kring removed from Montgomery County to Alexandria in 1836, and took up a farm, the most of which was then forest land. He married Mary Ann Ecker, of Montgomery County and their children now living in Jefferson County are Alice (Mrs. Orvis Hardy), Elizabeth (Mrs. S.B. Miller), Nancy (Mrs. Clark Patterson), and Alonzo. Alonzo Kring was born in 1833. He married, first, Mary Sprague, daughter of Benjamin, and located in Redwood, in the town of Alexandria. He had born to him a daughter, Minnie, who resides at home. In 1870 he located in Carthage, where his wife died in 1872, and in 1874 he married Alzina L., daughter of Abel Bigelow, of Redwood. In 1887 he removed to Champion village, where he now resides.
Richard Lewis, a native of Wales, located in Rhode Island, and from him sprung the family of that name who settled in Champion. Col. Arnold Lewis located in this town about 1800 and took up a tract of land of 700 acres, a portion of which is the N.J. Fuller farm. Nicholas, son of Arnold, came here in 1804 and occupied until his death the farm now owned by L.J. Fuller. He had two children, Robea and Abel P. The latter was born in Galway, Saratoga County, in 1800. He married Mary, daughter of Stephen Stoddard, and occupied the homestead until 1858. In 1861 he removed to the town of Rutland to reside with his son William I., where he died February 12, 1888. His wife died in 1858. They had 13 children, 11 of whom survive, namely: Nicholas P.,of Canton, N.Y.; John S., of Watertown; Robea B. (Mrs. L. Muzzy); Elizabeth (Mrs. B.V. Hinds); William I., of Black River; Cordelia M. (Mrs. E.J. Pennock); Mary A. (Mrs. C.H. Cross), of Philadelphia; Prudence M. (Mrs. R.H. Olley); Emma A., of Philadelphia; Henry M., of Watertown; and L. Candace (Mrs. G.C. Wood). Arnold Lewis served in the French and Indian war seven years, and in the Revolutionary war the same length of time, and held a colonel's commission. He was a surgeon during the war, and after its close became a preacher in the Baptist Church. He died in 1824. Easeck, better known as "Squire" Lewis, came to Champion with his father, Arnold, and was one of the prominent men of the town in the early days. He was justice of the peace 40 years and supervisor several terms. He married Hannah Springer, by whom he had six sons and four daughters, all of whom lived to maturity and were married. Seven of their children are now living, namely: Benajah A., in Denmark, N.Y., aged 86 years; Nicholas J., in Lewis County; Rackey L. (Mrs. William P. Babcock), on the old homestead; Sabra Ann (Mrs. D. Townsend), in Michigan; R.F., in Croghan, Lewis County; LaFayette D., in West Carthage; and Mary J. (Mrs. Joel Odell), in Champion.
Isaac Locklin, Sr., came to Champion in 1828 and settled on road 11, on the farm now owned by Seymour A. Locklin, of Sterlingville. His son Issac came at the same time and located on an adjoining farm. Isaac, Jr., had 11 children, 10 of whom attained maturity and seven are now living, namely; Susan E. (Mrs. A. W. Rice), who resides on Martin street, in this town; Seymour A., of Sterlingville; George W., of Martinsburg, Lewis County; Albert W., of Gloversville, Fulton County; Ellen (Mrs. Egbert Knowles), of Johnstown, Fulton County; Mary (Mrs. Rev. C.H. Merrill), also of Johnstown; and Jerome I., of West Carthage.
Horace Loomis, son of Jonathan, came to Champion with his father in 1804. He married Phila, daughter of Asa Harris, and located on road 51, on the farm now occupied by his son Clark. He had seven children, namely: Eber, Ashley, Lewis H., Foscott H., Ward, Wesley H., and Clark. Mr. Loomis died in 1880. His son Clark, who married Helen Freeman, has nine children and occupies the homestead.
Otis Loomis, son of Jonathan, was born in Pittsfield, Mass., March 7, 1791, and in 1804 came with his father to Champion. In 1811 he married Rachel, daughter of Asa Harris, of this town, and in 1815 located upon the farm on road 51 now occupied by his son Sylvester. In 1823 he built the stone house here which is still standing. He was a representative man, and served as supervisor of the town several terms. He died in 1868, and his widow died in 1889 at the extreme age of 95 years. They had 10 children, five sons and five daughters, six of whom are now living, namely: Leonard, in Rutland; Charles, on Martin Street, in this town; Harriet (Mrs. William Clark), in Denmark, N.Y.; Mariette (Mrs John Wright), in Lyons, Nebraska; Rachel (Mrs. Chester Carter), in Hannibal, Mo.; and Sylvester, on the old homestead, in Champion. The latter married Amelia, daughter of Erastus Freeman, of Le Ray, in 1856, and they have five children, namely: Emma, Francis, Asa H., Rachel, and Florence. Mr. Loomis is engaged in farming.
Russell P. Lovejoy, son of David L., was born in Chatham, N.Y., in 1838. August 18, 1862, he enlisted in Co. I. 5th N.Y.H.A., and was discharged July 3, 1865. In 1887 he located in West Cathage, where he now resides. He is a blacksmith by trade, but his health not permitting such leavy labor he has turned his attention to invention, in which he has been quite successful. He has invented the "Lovejoy rope fire escape," and also a horse- power potato sprinkler. He is now working on other inventions which he hopes will be successful.
John McNitt came from Salem, Mass., in 1803 or 1804, and settled on what is now known as Stonewall Street. He took up 160 acres, and here resided until his death. He had nine children, all of whom are deceased. Noah, son of John, born in 1794, married Laura, daughter of Joel Hubbard, of Champion, and resided on the homestead the greater part of his life. He was a great lover of horses, and was a successful breeder of those noble animals. He was a delegate to the convention at Watertown which organized the Republican party in this county, and was until the time of his death a prominent worker in that party. He had eight children, namely: Sarah J. (Mrs. C.C. Ingraham), of Carthage; Ambrosia (Mrs. Guilford Harris), of Champion; Frances I., who resides in this town with her brothers; Julia E (Mrs. A.O. Babcock), of Brooklyn, N.Y.; E.H. and F.H., who reside in this town on road 63, and are engaged in farming and stock raising. E.H. married Sarah C. Knowles, daughter of Russell K., and they have a daughter, Cornelia. F.H. married Phoebe C., daughter of Simeon Ingraham, and they have two daughters, viz.: Ellen A. (Mrs. E.P. Sage), of Champion, and Laura M. (Mrs. W.F. Carpenter), of Antwerp.
Daniel D. Merriam, son of Marshall, was born in Connecticut in 1783. In 1806 he removed to Camden, Oneida County, N.Y., and in 1808 located in Champion, where he resided until his death. He served at Sackets Harbor in the War of 1812. In 1810 he married Eunice, daughter of Asahel Cady, and they had four sons and two daughters, namely: Royal G., John H., Z.D., Maria F. (Mrs. Asa B. Hamlin), of Michigan, Mary P. (Mrs. William Brown), of Wisconsin, and Willis G., of Oberlin, Ohio. Zelotes D. Merriam, son of Daniel D., was born June 2, 1818, and has always resided in this town. He married, first, Lorinda Fitts, by whom he had a daughter, Josephine E. (Mrs. Oscar Hopkins), of Romeo, Mich. He married, second Adel Guiot, widow of James Patterson, and they have a son, Victor Z. In 1839 he formed a partnership with his brother Royal G., and carried on carriage manufacturing at Champion for 25 years. He has been out of business since 1864.
Miner C. Merrill, son of Moses C., was born May 22, 1813, on a farm on road 14, in this town, where he died. He was one of a family of 15 children. He was prominently identified with the affairs of the town, was a poormaster about 25 years, and overseer of the county poorhouse and asylum several terms. He was supervisor in 1873 and 1874. He was a carpenter by trade, and was an influential member of the Baptist Church at Great Bend for 35 years, and had charge of the building of that church. He was an active Republican, and was often called upon to act as chairman at public meetings. He married, first, Mary W. Merrill, and second, Sarah S., daughter of Herman Morgan of Adams. By his second wife he had two children, M.C. and Mary S. (Mrs. G.W. Coffeen). He also had an adopted daughter, Mary A. Ward, who married G. R. Sayre. He died March 12, 1874. His widow survives and occupies the homestead.
Lewis Henry Mills was born March 25, 1827. When 18 years of age he started out in life for himself, and whether driving a market wagon from the Connecticut valley to the Hudson, or from South Dover to New York city, he was the same indefatigable worker. May 16, 1851, he married Fidelia Pitkin, of Hartford, Conn., and soon after came to Sterlingville, this county, and engaged in mercantile business with his uncle, Ezra Skiff. He carried on mercantile business for a while in Harrisville and Lowville, Lewis County. In 1869 he purchased the Charles E. Clark estate at Great Bend, where he did a thriving milling and mercantile business, infusing new life and energy into the village. About this time he purchased the Walton House and store at Sterlingville of James Sterling, Jr. April 25, 1864 his wife died, leaving two sons, Henry H. and Ezra F. He carried on the iron business at Sterlingville for many years. In 1867 he purchased the Shurtleff iron ore mines, where he employed 150 men and 50 teams. In 1869 he purchased an interest in the Cresent mills, of Oswego. Subsequently he came to Carthage, and with R.N. Gere, of Syracuse, purchased the old furnace property and organized the Carthage Iron Co., which he carried on for many years for the manufacture of iron. After the iron industry became unprofitable the furnace gave way to a new saw and grist-mill. He was extensively engaged in the lumber business at the time of his death, in the interest of which he had purchased large tracts of timber land near Jayville, N.Y. He was a loser to the amount of $26,000 over and above his insurance in the great fire of 1884. In April, 1886, he was appointed postmaster under President Cleveland's administration, which office he ably filled up to the time of his death. He was also postmaster at Sterlingville during the administration of Franklin Pierce. He was a member of Grace Episcopal Church, and for years was one of its vestrymen. In 1865 he married Julia A., daughter of James Sterling, who with five sons (two by his first wife) survive. Mr. Mills died suddenly in his store on Christmas morning 1889.
Lewis Weston Mills, son of Col. Philo Mills, was born in Kent, Conn., December 7, 1801. He was of the fourth generation from Peter Walter Van Der Meulen, who, in 1668, settled in Windsor, Conn., and whose name, at his request, was by legislative action changed to that of Mills. September 15, 1825, Lewis W. married Amanda Skiff, who was born in 1806 and died in 1839. They had two children, Lewis Henry and Ezra Skiff Mills.
James Mix, son of Joel and Eleanor Merriam Mix,
was born August 24, 1797, in Wallingford, Conn. He was one of a
family of 10 children. In the fall following his first birthday
his parents with their family migrated to High Falls (now Lyons
Fall, Lewis County), and in the following spring came down the
Black River by boat to Champion (see sketch of Joel Mix), landing
at the place now occupied by the village of West Carthage, where he
resided with his parents until his father's death, which occurred
when he was 17 years of age. Soon after his father's death he went
to Watertown and commenced reading law with Egbert Ten Eyck,
afterwards first judge of Jefferson County; but soon thereafter his
health failed, and acting under the advice of his physician he
returned to Champion and commenced farming.
His first business venture was made during the War of 1812, when troops were being moved through Champion to Sackets Harbor. A disabled cavalry horse was offered for sale, and young Mix purchased him for $1 and soon after sold him for $17. Perhaps this was indicative of the success he afterwards achieved in the purchase and sale of horses and cattle, for which he became somewhat famous.
October 13, 1822, he was married to Anna Martin, a granddaughter of Capt. Martin, after whom Martin street was named. By this marriage he had one child, a daughter, who died at the age of 19. The mother of this child died October 31, 1825. April 4, 1827, Mr. Mix married Eliza Wilmot, by whom he had four children, viz.: Mrs. Le Roy Wood, Mrs. Melvin C. Rice, Harrison Mix, and Mrs. Mary E. Smith, all of whom survive except Mrs. Smith. The mother of these children died March 4, 1847, and on April 24, 1862, Mr. Mix married Lovina Birdseye, of Trenton, Oneida County, who died November 11, 1881. He was always happy in his domestic relations and commanded the respect of all who knew him.
In June, 1852, Mr. Mix formed a copartnership with Erastus H. Whitney and Edgar Darling, under the firm name of Whitney, Mix & Darling, for the purpose of carrying on the business of merchandising and tanning in the village of Carthage, just across the river from where his father landed with his family when he came to Jefferson County. Mr. Mix then removed from his farm in Champion to Carthage, where he resided until December, 1853, when the above named copartnership was dissolved. Whitney and Mix transferred their interests to James G. Darling. With the exception of the brief period of his residence in Carthage and Watertown, as above stated, he resided in Champion from the spring of 1799 until his death, which occurred August 28, 1887. Until three weeks before his death he always managed his own business, never finding it necessary to call any one to his aid by reason of any infirmity of mind or body. He died of no particular disease, and it is safe to say that at the time that event occurred he had resided within the territory comprising the county of Jefferson longer than any other person then living. In 1824 he commenced keeping a diary, in which he entered the principal occurrences of each day. He had also written out statements of various matters of interest relating to the early history of Champion and Carthage occurring previous to that year. Some of these it is believed never found their way into print until the publication of this book.
Mr. Mix never availed himself of any opportunities for making himself prominent, but was always contented with a faithful discharge of the duties of life as they came to him from day to day. When a young man he united with the Congregational Church at Champion village, but subsequently united with others in forming the church at Carthage, and for a long time acted as superintendent of the Sabbath school. He was always regular in his attendance at church and maintained a spotless Christian character. In politics, he was a Whig until the dissolution of that party, after which he affiliated with the Democratic party. He was a man of positive opinions, and one of a class necessary to the well being of every community.
Sylvester Mix, son of Joel, was born in 1795, and was four years of age when his parents located in Champion. When Sylvester was 13 years of age his father died, and being the eldest of seven children the cares of the family devolved upon him. His mother also died while he was yet young. He married Hannah, daughter of John Reed, of Lowville, and settled upon the farm now occupied by his son Joel. He had five children, namely: Mary, Nahar, George, David and Joel. Joel Mix was born March 27, 1830. In 1852 he married Abigail D., daughter of George and Lydia (Selleck) Fulton, and located on the homestead, where he has since resided. He is engaged in farming, and is one of the road commissioners of the town.
Joseph C. Muzzy was born in Dublin, N.H., where he married Silby Mason, and in 1814 located in Richland, Oswego County, where he resided until 1828, when he removed to Champion and located at Great Bend. He was a shoemaker, which occupation he followed until his death, in 1876, aged 86 years. Leander R. Muzzy, son of Joseph C., was born June 26, 1813. When 16 years of age he went to live with Elias Babcock, where he made his home four years, when he worked as a day laborer until he attained the age of 33 years. He married Robea B., daughter of Abel P. Lewis, and removed to St. Lawrence County, where he remained nine years, when he again located in Champion on the farm now occupied by J.M. Soults. He occupied this farm until 1884, when he removed to Great Bend, where he now resides. He has been a member of the Baptist Church for 45 years.
David Odell came from Madison County to Champion about 1864, and settled on a part of the farm now owned by David Coffeen, where he resided until his death. Three of his children are now living in town, namely: Mary (Mrs. G. W. Tamblin), Jane, who resides with her sister, and Joel, who resides on road 1.
Edwin H. Olmsted was born in the town of Watertown, March 31, 1841. In 1874 he married Emeline S., daughter of Sanford Lewis, of Wilna, and they have a son, William S. Mr. Olmsted is one of the road commissioners of this town. He located on the farm he now occupies soon after his marriage.
Capt. John Pardee came from Herkimer County to Champion in 1804, and located on the farm now owned by John H. Woolworth, where he took up a large tract of land. After a few years' residence here he removed to Antwerp and cleared a large farm, which he occupied until his death, after which sad event his family again located in Champion. Previous to his settlement in this town he married Hannah Gage. Alfred Pardee, son of John, resided in Antwerp about 12 years before he located in Champion. He died in Cathage village. Charles Pardee, son of Alfred, is the only one of the name residing in this county.
John Peck, son of Joseph, located in this town with his father on the farm now occupied by his son Emerson. He married Polly Jones, and they had 11 children, nine of whom attained maturity and six are now living, namely: Elizabeth S. (Mrs. Charles Austin), of Watertown; Martha C. (Mrs. Sidney Hale), of Indiana; Phebe L. (Mrs. Albert Slack), of Felt's Mills; Caroline (Mrs. Alvin Cooper), of Philadelphia; Emily (Mrs. David N. Locklin), of Champion; and Emerson, who occupies the old homestead. The later was born April 29, 1843. He married Mary, daughter of Turner E. Howard, of this town, and they have two children, John T. and Florence M.
Joseph Peck came here from Connecticut about 1803 or '04. He located upon the farm now occupied by Emerson Peck. He served seven years in the Revolutionary war. Four sons and three daughters were born to him, only one of whom, Mrs. Lydia Stevens, survives, and resides in Michigan. Joseph Peck, Jr., was born in 1794. He married, first, Sally, daughter of Thomas Francis, and located upon the farm now owned by his son John F. He had born to him four sons and one daughter. His second wife was Martha S., daughter of Solomon Hopkins, of Champion. Mr. Peck was a soldier of the War of 1812. John F. Peck, son of Joseph, Jr., was born September 22, 1824, and in 1855 married Emily A., daughter of Thomas Gordon, by whom he has four children, namely: Emily A. (Mrs. W.E. Pennock), J. Floyd, John G., a teacher in Lowville, and Ernest F. Mr. Peck was a supervisor of this town in 1868, and in 1875 represented the first Assembly district in Jefferson County in the state legislature. He is now successfully engaged in farming.
Rev. Wilson Pennock came to Champion about 1807, when 18 years of age. In 1808 he married Sarah, daughter of Capt. John Pardee, of this town, and settled on the farm now owned by his son E.J. A few years subsequently he joined the Methodist Episcopal Church and was licensed as an exhorter, and afterwards was ordained an elder. He was well known throughout the county as "Father" Pennock, and was respected and loved by the people. He was recognized by his neighbors as a just man, and was often chosen arbiter of their differences. He reared seven children, six of whom survive, namely: George W., of Chaumont; Rev. Ames C. of Glenwood, Iowa; Hiram H., of Grand Rapids, Mich.; Huldah A. (Mrs Allen Merrill), of Champion; Clarissa E. (Mrs. Thomas Crawley), of Ottawa, Canada; and E.J., who resides on the homestead in this town. E.J. Pennock was born February 28, 1832. In 1852 he married Cordelia M., daughter of A.P. Lewis, of this town, and they have had seven children, five of whom survive, namely: William E., Lillian C., and Grace M., who reside at home; Arthur F., pastor of the M. E. Church at Oneida, and Corra B (Mrs. Frank Phillips), of West Carthhage.
Harvey Phelps was a native of Massachusetts, whence he removed to Steuben, N.Y. He was killed by falling upon the tines of a pitch-fork while pitching hay, and left his wife, Sally Green, with five small children, the eldest of whom was but seven years of age. His wife came to Champion in 1850, with her son James H., and died here in 1880, aged 90 years. James H. Phelps married, first, Annette, daughter of Oren Sanders, of Champion, in 1867, and they had a daughter, Minnie, who married Frank Mould and resides on the homestead. He married, second, Sarah, daughter of B.A. Van Valkenburg, of Trenton, Oneida County.
Nathaniel Pierce, from Halifax, Vt., was one of the early settlers of the town of Rutland. He had nine children,- five sons and four daughters,- three of whom are living, namely: Nathaniel, Jr., in Rutland; Elsie (Mrs. Ansel (Clark), in Antwerp; and Nancy (Mrs. Eleazer Williams), also in Antwerp. Preserved Pierce, son of Nathaniel, married Lena, daughter of Russell Randall, of Lorraine, in 1825, and located in Rutland Hollow, where he resided until 1839, when he came to Champion. He served in the War of 1812, and his widow now draws a pension. He had four children, namely: Benjamin, deceased; Cordelia (Mrs. Hubbard Whitney), of Chicago; and O. W. and Nancy (Mrs. H.J. Case), of Champion.
Reuben H. Potter, son of Henry, was born in Brattleboro, Vt., in 1820, and in 1832 came with his father to Champion, locating on the farm where he now resides. He married Aurilla Holbrook, of Townshend, Vt., who died May 30, 1888. Mr. Potter was a justice of the peace 16 years, and justice of Sessions several terms. During the war he took an active part in recruiting soldiers. He was a merchant from 1852 to 1870, and has manufactured hundreds of tons of potash. He was also a commission merchant for about 10 years, and ran a line of boats to New York. He is now extensively engaged in farming.
Capt. Joel P. Rice was born in Greenfield, Mass., February 11, 1781, and died in Champion, May 7, 1873. In February, 1802, he started from Greenfield with four oxen and drove them to Champion in 20 days, stopping twice on the way to re-shoe his sled. March 17, 1802, he drove the first team ever driven on Martin street. In 1807 he married Elizabeth Crowner, by whom he had seven sons and four daughters. He served in the War of 1812, was a member of the Methodist Church, and held several of the principal town offices. He was much respected by all who knew him.
William Rockwood, son of Reuben, came to Champion in 1799, and settled on the farm now occupied by his son Charles G. He did not remain long, however, but about 1801 or '02 returned and commenced a clearing. In 1805 he married Polly, daughter of Seth Cutler, and they had 12 children, six of whom are now living, namely: Priscilla (Mrs. David Roulston), in St. Lawrence County; Sally (Mrs. George Sayre), in Champion; Reuben, in Michigan; Sabrina (Mrs. Johnson), in Croghan, Lewis County; John W., in Wisconsin; and Charles G., in Champion. Charles G. Rockwood was born March 26, 1816. He married, first, Mary S. Rounds, and second, Jane Van Deusen. He has two children, F.L., who resides at Felt's Mills, and Dempster, who lives with his parents. Dempster Rockwood married Anna, daughter of Joseph Wise, of Watertown, and they have one son, Wesley W. Charles G. Rockwood has always resided upon the old homestead. Reuben Rockwood came to Champion about 1803, and located near his son William. His sons Daniel, Asa, and Roswell also settled on adjoining farms in this town.
Joseph Sanders was born in Halifax, Vt., whence he removed to the town of Champion about 1800. About 1804 he married Lucinda Fairman and located near Pleasant Lake, where he lived until 1817, when he removed to Wilna and settled on the farm now occupied by Edwin Cowan, where he died. He was captain of a company of militia and served in the War of 1812. He had 12 children, 4 of whom are now living, namely: Jared, at Natural Bridge, in Wilna; Lucinda (Mrs. Daniel Jackson), on Martin Street, in Champion; Clarinda (Mrs. Abram Poole), in Kansas; and Orin F., in this town. Orin F. Sanders was born in Champion in 1809. In 1836 he married Mary, daughter of William Sarvay, by whom he had four children, namely: Mary (Mrs. Germain Tallman), of Orleans; Annette, (Mrs. J.H. Phelps), of Champion; Louisa (Mrs. Sidney S. Richards), of Newark, N.Y.; and Melvina, who died young. After the death of his first wife he married Mrs. Amanda Parker, by whom he had a daughter, Cynthia , who married Eugene Graves, of Champion. For his third wife he married Mrs. Merab Lewis. Mr. Sanders is a farmer, and a Republican in politics. Edson Sanders, son of Joseph, was born in Champion in 1807, but spent most of his life in Wilna. He married Phoebe Ivory and located on the farm now owned by Mr. Sarvay. He was also engaged in the mercantile pursuits for about 25 years, and served as assessor several years. Of his four children, three are living, namely: Alsina (Mrs. William H. White). Of Denmark; Lucinda (Mrs. Chester B. Hammond), of Lowville; and Roselle, of West Carthage. Roselle Sanders was born in Wilna, April 27, 1840. August 11, 1862, he enlisted in Co. D., 10th N.Y.H.A., and served until February 28, 1865. He was wounded in the right leg by a shell June 16, 1864, in front of Petersburg, and again July 8, 1864, in the right ankle, from which he has since been disabled, and now draws a pension. He married, first, Louisa, daughter of William Lamb, of Wilna, by whom he had a son, William E., who is attending school at Lowville. He married, second, Sarah A., daughter of Joseph Hewitt, of Denmark, who died September 12, 1887.
Ezra Sayre was born in Essex County, N.J., in 1781. He married Elizabeth S. Ball in 1806, and the same year removed to Le Ray, where four children were born to him, namely: Charlotte, in 1807; Eliza, in 1809; George Randolph, in 1811; and Eliza, 2nd, in 1812. In 1813 he removed to Champion, locating about one mile west of "Champion Huddle", where two children were born to him, Esther B., in 1815, and Nehemiah, in 1816. In 1818 he removed to a farm one mile east of the "Huddle," where three more children were born to him, Elizabeth S., in 1818; Ezra M., in 1820; and Elihu E., in 1822. His wife died in 1824. He afterwards married Phebe Vanwinkle, of Champion, Rachel Norris, of Elizabeth, N.J., and Catharine Halsey, also of Elizabeth. In 1835 he removed to Newark, N.J., taking all his children except George R., where he died in 1874, aged 66 years. George Randolph Sayre married Sarah Jane Rockwood, April 14, 1835, and four children were born to them, namely: Melissa T., June 4, 1836, died in 1841, Cordelia A., June 26, 1838, died in 1857; Eleon A., January 27, 1849; George Randolph, Jr., September 19, 1853. George R. Sayre, Sr., engaged in farming and the manufacture of lime, and also learned the carpenters' trade. He died August 22, 1888, aged 77 years, having been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Champion village for more than 40 years. Mrs. Sayre survives and resides with her son Eleon A. on the homestead farm. George R. Sayre, Jr., married Ida Antoinette Merrill, adopted daughter of Miner C. Merrill, in 1874, and they have had three children, namely Alice Antoinette, born October 15, 1875; George Merrill, born January 16, 1878; and Ida May, born July 26, 1883.
Godfrey Shew, Sr., came to this country from Germany previous to 1763, as his first child was born here in that year. He first located in Montgomery County. He served in the Revolutionary war. Godfrey Shew, Jr., was born in Montgomery County, whence he removed to Champion about 1822, locating upon the farm now occupied by his grandson Eugene A., where he resided until his death. Lyman Shew, son of Godfrey, Jr., was born in Montgomery County in 1809, and died in 1859. When about 13 years of age he came to this town. In 1840 he married Sylvia, daughter of Ebenezer Woodward, of Le Ray, and located upon the homestead with his father, where he died. He was a carpenter and farmer, and well known throughout the county. He had four children, namely: Albion J., born May 27, 1842, who married Helen M., daughter of Richard F. and Frances Lewis, of Champion, and now resides on Martin street; and Eugene A., Ida A., and Eva E., who reside on the homestead.
John M. Soults, son of Ludwig, was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, November 16, 1828, and in 1851 he immigrated to the United States and located in the town of Le Ray, in this county. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Co. C, 10th N.Y.H.A., from the town of Antwerp, and participated in the battles of Cold Harbor and Petersburg, and also in several minor engagements. He was discharged from the service July 7, 1865. January 23, 1858, he married Rosina, daughter of John Kuppler, and they have seven children, namely Anna, George, Helena, Albert, Louisa P., Franklin, and Josephine. Mr. Soults has resided in Jefferson County most of the time since coming to this county. He is now a successful farmer and resides in Champion.
Thomas Stewart, son of James, was born in Vermont, and when a boy came to this town with his father. He married Lydia Sellick, of Champion, and located on the farm now occupied by L.G. Prentice. He had a daughter, Mary C., who married D.K. Briggs. He died in this town. D.K. Briggs, son of Elias, was born in Berlin, N.Y. When 13 years old he came to this town with his parents and located on Tabor Clark's farm. When 26 years of age he married Mary C. Stewart, and in 1880 removed to the farm he now occupies. His wife died in 1888. He has three children, Adelaide, Ada, and Enos E.
Timothy Tamblin came from Brattleboro, Vt., and located in the central part of the town of Rutland, about 1803, where he engaged in farming. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. Timothy, Jr., came to this county with his father when a boy. He married Lydia B. Gilbert, and subsequently settled in the town of Philadelphia, where he resided 15 years, when he removed to Theresa, thence to St. Lawrence County, and finally located at Great Bend, in the town of Champion, where he died. He served in the War of 1812. Of his four children, three survive. G.W. Tamblin, of this town, married Mary Odell, also of this town. He is prominent in town affairs and holds the office of justice of the peace. Gilbert W. Tamblin resides in Franklin County, N.Y.. Harriet A. married A. J. Stewart and resides in Hermon, St. Lawrence County.
Walter B. Van Allen, son of Warren, was born in the town of Wilna. He attended Ives Seminary, at Antwerp, read law with A.E. Kilby, attending the Albany Law School, and was admitted to the bar May 6, 1887. He married Mary E., daughter of William Burnside, and resides in West Carthage village.
Frank Merrill Vebber, M.D., was born in Champion, January 11, 1856, on the farm now occupied by his parents. He was educated at the commom schools until 18 years of age, when he taught the school in district No. 15, in Le Ray. He continued teaching during the winter for 10 years. In 1882 he discontinued teaching and took up the study of medicine, attending two courses of lectures in New York, from which place he graduated, March 3, 1884, standing third in his class, which gave him the postion of salutatorian. He first located in practice in La Fargeville, but soon removed to West Carthage, where he has been in successful practice. January 21, 1885, he married Emma, youngest daughter of Adam J. Snell, of La Fargeville and they have had two children, the eldest of which died at the age of one year. Dr. Vebber was elected coroner of the county by the Republican party in 1885, and reelected in 1888.
Hiram H. Vebber, son of Darius and Sally (Ware) Vebber, was born in this town, April 20, 1830, on a farm on which his father settled and cleared up, in the west part of the town. His father was from Massachusetts and came into the Black River country in 1807. When but four years of age Hiram was left an orphan and went to live with his uncle, Daniel Vebber. In 1853, at the age of 23, he married Miss Almira Merrill of this town, and set up house-keeping at Champion Huddle. In 1859 he removed to Great Bend, where he resided till the summer of 1862, when he enlisted in Co. D, 10th N.Y.H.A., which had its headquarters at Sackets Harbor. In the following September the Tenth was called to Washington, but the Fourth battalion of the regiment in which Mr. Vebber was put stopped on Staten Island till May, 1863, when they were called into active service. They were with the gallant Phil Sheridan in the valley of the Shenandoah, and took part in the battle of Petersburg. Here, while the Fourth battalion of the 10th Regiment was making a gallant charge on the enemy, April 2, 1865, Mr. Vebber received a gunshot wound between the knee and thigh, and, falling upon the ground, was left on the field, taken prisoner, and carried to a rebel hospital; but the enemy, hastily retreating in the night, left their prisoners which they had taken, and the next day they were recovered by our forces. Mr. Vebber, with his wounded comrades, was taken to the field hospital, and his limb was amputated close to the body by Dr. Smith Copeland, the regimental surgeon. After this he was transfered from one hospital to another till October 5, 1865, when he was discharged from David's Island Hospital, at New York harbor. He is now receiving the pension granted for such disability. After returning from the war he and his family went to live with his father-in-law, William Merrill, and at his death succeeded to the farm on which he now lives. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Vebber are as follows: Frank M., born in 1856, who is a physician and now lives in West Carthage; Marian J. (Mrs. J. Austin Hubbard, Jr.), born in 1859; Hubert J., born in 1868; and Nellie A., born in 1871.
Stoel Warner, son of Matthew, was born in Mansfield, Conn., in 1774. He came to Champion in 1803, and received a deed of a tract of land from Henry Champion. In 1805 he married Anna, daughter of Abel and Elizabeth Crandall, of Champion, and located upon the farm now occupied by his grandson, Elizur C. Warner. He was a wagonmaker and carpenter, and built a great many barns in this town. He was supervisor in 1818-20, and justice of the peace several years. He died September 5, 1828. He had one son and two daughters, namely: Fanny, who married Joel A. Hubbard in 1829; Edna S., who married Elizur Canfield in 1835, and now resides in Copenhagen, N.Y.; and Matthew S. The latter was born in 1814, and in 1837 married Charlotte, daughter of Alvin and Nancy Loomis, and settled on the homestead. He had three children, namely: Laura A. (Mrs. A.J. Colvin), who died in 1873; Matthew S., Jr., also deceased; and Elizur C. The latter was born September 15, 1853, and in 1878 married Bessie E., daughter of Allen and Huldah Merrill, and settled on the old homestead with his mother, where he now resides. He has a daughter, Minnie, born in 1882.
Le Roy Wood came from Fairfield, Herkimer County, to Champion in 1849. In 1859 he married Anna Eliza, daughter of James Mix, and has since been engaged in farming here. He has two children, Mary E. and William E., both of whom reside in this town.
Chauncey Woolworth, from Massachusetts, located in Lewis County, N.Y., at an early day. He had a family of six sons and one daughter. Volney Woolworth, son of Chauncey, was born in 1812. He married Betsey, daughter of Levi Moors, of Denmark, Lewis County, and about 1849 located in Champion on the farm now occupied by the widow of his son John I. He was a farmer and dealer in live stock, and was well known throughout the county. He had four children, namely: George G. and John L., deceased; Elijah M., who was in Co. H, 186th Regt. N.Y.V., and resides in this town; and Seymour A. The latter was born February 22, 1842. October 23, 1867, he married Martha J., daughter of Col. Elias and Emily O. Sage, of Champion, and located on a farm on road 59. He has been extensively engaged in farming, carrying on, not only his own farm, but that of Col. Sage as well. At one time his dairy consisted of 100 cows. He has three daughters, Bertha, Emily R., and Gertrude, all of whom reside with their parents.
Jasper Woolworth, son of Phineas, who was a son of Timothy, was born in Suffield, Conn., and when about 14 years of age located with his parents in Lewis County, N.Y. In 1804, at the age of 29 years, he married Elizabeth Buell, and in 1838 removed to Watertown, where he resided eight years, when he located in Rodman, residing in that town nine years, and the following six years in Adams, finally locating in Lorraine, where he died. John H. Woolworth, son of Jasper, was born in Pinckney, N.Y., in 1821. In 1851 he married, first, Fanny McBrier, of Brownville, and subsequently resided in Rodman nine years, when he located in Champion, in 1859, where he now resides. He married, second, Mrs. Elvira Moulton, of Watertown. By his first wife he has two sons, viz.: Frank W., who resides in Brooklyn, N.Y., and is at the head of the Woolworth syndicate of five and ten-cent goods; and Charles S, who is proprietor of a variety store in Scranton, Pa.
Return to Child's Jefferson County Gazetteer
Return to Town of Champion
Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page