The following family group descriptions are adapted from Hamilton Child's "Gazetteer of Jefferson County, N.Y.", published in 1890. The families are arranged alphabetically by township, and wherever possible, a link has been made to a Jefferson County Pioneer. We welcome any corrections and additions to the information presented.
This project has only been made possible through the efforts of several volunteers, directed by Shirley Farone, who has been a behind-the-scenes participant in this website from the very beginning. The original idea came from Sharon Patchett, who is also giving her time to the project. Sisters Marcia Alary and Barbara Britt, both of whom have been volunteering on other projects for the website, are also working on this. Gary Roe was one of the first to get his work in. We are grateful to each of them for making this material so easily available. More volunteers have made contributions as the task proceeded. Sharon Lagendyk's work has been extremely accurate and timely. Mark Wentling has undertaken a special project connected with the gazetteer. Eleanor Burrows here in Jefferson County, and Melinda Cornwell in Alaska are our newest volunteers.
Note: In this file, the highlighted name clicks will take you to the pioneer group sheet associated with the name.
Frisby Abbott was born in Sullivan County, N. H., in 1800, and was reared upon a farm. He married Eliza, daughter of Calvin Ackley, of East Hamilton, Madison County, N. Y., in 1832, and in 1836 removed to Henderson and located on a farm, on road 33. He died at the home of his son George A. in 1886, his wife having died in 1878. Their children were Lewis W., born in 1834; Sarah, who married, first John Ackley, and second, Judson Campbell; and George A., of this town. Lewis W. Abbott married Rosetta A. Griggs, in 1863, and is a farmer in this town. George A. Abbott was born March 18, 1840. He married Emily D., daughter of Wesley and Charlotte (Fuller) Collins, of Watertown, in 1864, and they have had two daughters, viz.: Nellie De Etta, who was educated at Adams Collegiate Institute, graduated in music in 1886, and now resides with her parents; and Emma D., who died in infancy. Mr. Abbott is a prosperous farmer, and owns and occupies the homestead.
Robert Alexander, son of Jonathan, was born in Hinsdale, N. H., in 1778, whence he immigrated, in 1802, to Henderson, locating on the farm now occupied by Chauncey Barrett, on road 63, where he built a log house and died in 1829. He married Abigail, daughter of Moses Barret, who bore him four sons and two daughters, viz.: Emory, who married Dolly Carter and lives in Ellisburgh; Harry, who married Phebe Bullock; Eaton, of this town; Amanda (Mrs. ______ Bates); Eliza (Mrs. J. Beech); and Robert, who died in Ellisburgh. Harry Alexander has six children, viz.: Emily, Clarinda, Lydia A., Alice, Ossian, and Harry. Eaton Alexander was born in Henderson in 1811, and was reared upon a farm. He married Dolly, daughter of James and Barbara (Ireland) Wood, in 1835, and they have two sons, viz.: Epenetus, born in 1836, and La Fayette, born in 1841. Epenetus married Helen S., daughter of Lucius and Lucy Ann (Babcock) Barrett, March 3, 1858, and they have a son, Eaton T., born in 1864. Mr. Alexander and son are prosperous farmers.
Salmon Aspinwall was born in 1784, and in 1804 he married Mary Montague, of Bennington, Vt. Their children were Mary C. (Mrs. Philo Hungerford), who died in Ellisburgh; Datus M., who died in Iowa in 1888; Rev. Joseph, who died in Livingston County, N. Y.; Hannah, who was twice married, and died in Henderson; David M., born in 1817, who died in 1858; and Joel A., born in Henderson in 1821, now a resident of Wisconsin. David M. Aspinwall was a blacksmith by trade. He married Harriet M., daughter of Briggs and Maria (King) Alden, in 1843, who survives him and occupies, with her son Truman M., the homestead. They had children as follows: Mary E., who married Smith T. Taggart, by whom she has three children, Mary C., Willie, and Pansy; Jasper A., who died in 1864, while serving in the late war; David M., Jr., who died in infancy; William M., now of Columbus, Ohio; Truman M.; Hattie Merle, now a clerk in the postoffice department at Washington; and Clara Lillian, who married, first, William D. Barnes, and second, Rev. D. L. Fish, of Hinsdale, N. H.
Samuel Ault, who served in Co. B, 186th N. Y. Vols., was a native of Clayton, whence he removed to Henderson, where he died, aged 47 years. He married Elizabeth Myers, of Clayton, and their children were Cary C., Hiram G., David E. and Josephine S. (twins), Ella, George S., Hannah M., William N., Clara, and James O. The latter was born in Clayton, and in 1882 removed to Sackets Harbor, but he now resides at Bishop Street in this town. He married Augusta, daughter of Seymour and Harriet (Thomas) Putnam, of Ellisburg, by whom he had two children, Nora M. and Rena C. He served in Co. B and Co. I, 20th N. Y. Cav., and re-enlisted in Co. G, 4th U. S. Inf., and was honorably discharged. Hiram G. Ault served in Co. K, 35th N. Y. Vols., and in Co. I, 20th N. Y. Cav. David E. served in Co. K, 35th N. Y. Vols., Co. B, 20th N. Y. Cav., and Co. G, 4th N. Y. Inf. William F. H. Ault, father of Samuel, was a captain in the Revolutionary war. His wife was Miranda Raymond, and they were married at Plattsburgh.
Elias Babcock was born in Massachusetts, and was a stone mason by trade. His son Joshua, born in Adams, married Vina, daughter of George Lee, and they had two sons, Fred R., of Smithville, and Frank M., of Wisconsin. Fred R. was born in Adams, December 15, 1850, was reared upon a farm, and learned the blacksmiths trade. He married Martha, daughter of Stephen and Betsey (Peck) Bishop, of Woodville, in 1875, and they have two sons, Edwin R. and Frank J. Mr. Babcock located in Smithville in 1876, and engaged in the blacksmithing business. He bought the Hammond saw-mill in 1880, and the next year added a cider-mill. In 1884-85 he kept the Smithville Hotel. He is now engaged in blacksmithing and lumbering.
Dr. Daniel Barney, who was born in Swansea, Mass., in 1768, came to Henderson about 1807 and began the practice of medicine. He married Sarah Bucklin in 1792, and they had four sons and two daughters. His son, Lowrey Barney, was born in 1793. He studied medicine with his father, graduated at the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Western New York in 1820, and at Fairfield Medical School in 1823. He married Almira Spencer, and they had three sons and one daughter, viz.: Fromandus, La Mort M., Daniel P., and Maria L. (Mrs. Dr. Houghton). For his second wife he married Pamelia, widow of Wallace Farrell, and their children were George M. D., who died in 1879, and Elva P., who occupies the homestead. La Mort M., who was born in 1825, married Laura, daughter of Heman L. Reed, in 1857, and their children were Heman L., born in 1858; Myron R., born in 1860, now of Dakota; Eugene, who married Carrie, daughter of A. L. and Pamelia (Nutting) Nutting, in 1883, and resides in this town; and Clara L., Almira, and Grace S., who reside with their parents. Heman L. Barney resides with his father on Water street.
Calvin Bishop, son of Captain John Bishop, a Revolutionary soldier, came with his parents and located at Bishop Street when quite young. He married, first, Sally Armstrong, who bore him six children, and second Sally Peck, who bore him 12 children, many of whom settled in Henderson. Mr. Bishop died in 1850. His widow, aged more than 92 years, and their daughter, Elizabeth, reside at Bishop Street.
Robert Brodie, son of James and Margaret Brodie, was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1820, and spent his early years upon a farm. He emigrated to America in 1844, locating in Belleville, where he worked out among the farmers. He married Lucretia, daughter of Lyman Barney, in 1853, and they had two sons, James L., of Forest City, Iowa, and Hugh H., of Kansas City, Mo. His wife died in 1856, and for his second wife he wedded Christia A., daughter of William and Tabatha (Drummond) Davison. Their children were two who died in infancy, Mary Louise, Robert W., and Marion Alice. Robert W. was born in 1862. Marion Alice was educated in the State Normal School, and is now engaged in teaching. Their father, Robert, went to California in 1850, and remained there three years. He now resides with his children on road 5.
Elisha Brown, son of John, was born in Madison County, and at an early day came to Henderson, where he reared a large family of children. His son Wallace was born in Henderson and learned the wagonmakers' trade. Wallace married Harriet, daughter of Jonathan Stevens, and they had a son, Henry, bron in 1854. Henry, now of Henderson Harbor, at the early age of 14 engaged as a sailor on the lakes, and served in this capacity until he attained his majority, when he learned the carpenters' trade. He married, first, Addie C., daughter of Lester and Elizabeth (Spicer) Rickerson, in 1875, and they had a son, Reuben W., born in 1876. Mrs. Brown died, and for his second wife Mr. Brown married, Ethel, born in 1888.
William Buell was born in Huntingdonshire, Eng., in 1610, and in 1630 emigrated to America, locating at Dorchester, Mass. He was the progenitor of those of that name now residing in Henderson. The direct line of descent was as follows: William1, Samuel2, Samuel3, Samuel4, Jedediah5, Jonathan6, George7, George8, and Olin F.9. George S. Buell was born in Fairfield, N. Y., in 1817. In 1844 he married Sarah, daughter of Amos and Aurelia (Minott) Farrington (who was born in 1822 and died in 1878). His son Olin F. was born in Fairfield, N. Y. May 5, 1847, and came to Sandy Creek with his parents when about two years old. He was educated at Falley Seminary, at Fulton, N. Y., studied medicine with Dr. J. L. Buckley, of Sandy Creek, and graduated from the medical department of the University of New York with the class of 1874. He began practice in Belleville in 1875, taught anatomy, physiology, and hygiene in the academy, and in the fall of the same year removed to Henderson village, where he is now located in the practice of his profession, and as a pension agent with A. M. Kilby. He married Olive C., daughter of Ariel C. Harris, in 1869. Their daughter Helen S. married Merton M. Stevens.
Samuel A. Church, son of John and Eunice (Abbey) Church, was born in Newport, N. H., in 1815, and died in Henderson in 1879. He married Jane M., daughter of Bester S. Safford, and they had four sons, viz.: John B., of Illinois; Rollin C., of Henderson; Coleman, of Kansas; and William H. S., of Ellisburgh. Mr. Church came to Henderson about 1843 and located in the hamlet of Bishop Street. He was a prominent member of the M. E. Church, which he served as trustee, steward, and class-leader. He was a justice of the peace in this town for a number of years. Rollin C. Church was born June 29, 1840, and was reared upon his father's farm. He married Frances F., daughter of William and Maria (Wilcox) Ripley, of Henderson, in 1866, and they have a son, Charles A., born in 1868. Mr. Church owns the homestead at Bishop Street, formerly occupied by his grandfather and father.
Harvey Crittenton, son of Jason mentioned in the preceding sketch, married Phebe Matteson, and they had seven children -- Levi, William M., Charles N., Almond, Mariah, Calista, and Oleda. Levi, born in 1823, was reared upon the farm and became a prominent man in the town, having been justice of the peace and held other offices of trust. In 1843 he married Charlotte A., daughter of J. H. and Lois (Whittier) Farman, and they had three children, viz.: John and Manfred L., who died young, and William B. The latter was born in 1852, and was reared upon a farm. He married Henrietta, daughter of Jacob and Harriet (Sill) March, in December, 1880, and they have had three children as follows: Fred L., born in 1881, who died in 1884; Lottie H., born in 1883; and Charles N., born in 1886. W. B. Crittenton was educated at Union Academy, was a clerk for several years, and subsequently learned and engaged in the jewelry business. He resides in Henderson village. His father, Levi, died in 1888, and his mother, Charlotte, resides on the homestead.
Jason Crittenton, of Welsh ancestry, came to Henderson about 1808. He married a Miss Brown, and they had seven sons and two daughters, of whom Stephen, born in 1799, came to Henderson with his parents. He married Charlotte Dunham, and they had two sons and one daughter, viz.: Isaac D., born in 1823, married Nancy Gridley, who bore him a son and two daughters; James A., of Henderson; and Orcelia M., who married Austin Babcock, of Ogdensburg. Stephen Crittenton died in 1870 and his wife, Charlotte, in 1871. James A. Crittenton was born November 25, 1825. He was reared upon a farm, educated at Union Academy, and was a sailor on the lakes for six years. He married Martha M., daughter of William and Elizabeth (Smith) Harris, in 1856, and located on the farm he now owns, where he is engaged in breeding fine road and trotting horses. Of his children, William J. died in 1865, aged six years; Harley J. died in 1865, aged two years; Elizabeth Charlotte, born in 1866, married Dr. W. K. Walrath, in 1886, and they have a daughter, Florence C., born December 23, 1888; and Gertrude Alice, born in 1870, is a student in Adams Collegiate Institute.
Roswell Davis was born in 1785, and about 1804 came to Henderson from New England and located where William Pitt Davis resides, at Bishop Street, where he took up a large tract of land, and built and kept the first tavern in the town. He served in the War of 1812, helped carry the cable to Sackets Harbor, and afterwards drew a pension. He married Clarissa Bishop, and their children were Caroline (Mrs. Philo Hungerford), who died at Rural Hill; Albert, a lawyer, who died in Cleveland, O., in 1888; Nelson, who resides in St. Paul, Minn.; Almeda (Mrs. Darwin Ainsworth), who died in Wisconsin; Louisa (Mrs. A.W. Cole), who resides in Iowa; Alfred, who died in 1861; Laura, who died at the age of 17 years; William P., of Henderson; and George, who died at the age of 18 years. Roswell Davis was a liberal supporter of the Universalist Church, and one of the first trustees of the church at Henderson. He died in 1848, aged 63 years. William Pitt Davis was born in Henderson in 1826, and was educated in the schools of his native town. In 1849 he went to California, via the isthmus, and there remained in the gold mines a little more than a year, when he returned to Henderson, and subsequently engaged in mercantile business at Smithville. He married Ermina Eliza, daughter of Harvey and Sarah (Bell) Smith, in 1856, and she died September 12, 1881.
Thomas Dobson, son of Thomas and Jane (Pierce) Dobson, was born in Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, England, in 1776, and when young emigrated to America. He married Fanny Whittier, a cousin of the famous poet, and soon after located in Redfield, Oswego County, where his son John was born in 1812. About 1813 Mr Dobson removed to Henderson, locating on the State road about one mile west of Henderson village, where he built a log house, which he occupied for a time. His children born in Henderson were William, Fanny (Mrs. Urbane Spencer), Eleanor (Mrs. Cephas Montague), Thomas, and Elizabeth. William Dobson was born in 1815, and was reared upon the farm. He taught school several terms, and served his town as supervisor, school superintendent, and load commissioner. He was possessed of a kindly dispostion, and died April 2, 1884. He married Mary Jane, daughter of Ranzo Moody, in 1849, and they had a daughter, Frances A., born in 1850, who married Payson F. Thompson, in 1869. John Dobson, son of Thomas, married Rhoda, daughter of Charles and Susanna (Montague) Potter, in 1842, and resides in Henderson. Thomas Dobson, Jr., married Julia Ann, daughter of Briggs and Maria (King) Alden, in 1856, who bore him a daughter, Mary Elizabeth, who married Melvin G. Weaver in 1882. Mr. Dobson's wife died in 1860, and for his second wife he married Mary M., daughter of George W. and Arinda (McNitt) McCumber, and widow of George W. Enos, in 1873. Mr. Dobson now occupies the old homestead on the State road. George W. Enos died in 1864. His children were Gertrude A. (Mrs. Russell Ellis) and William R.
James Dodge, father of Mrs. Frances A. Rich, mentioned in the preceding sketch, was born in West Winfield, Herkimer County, N. Y., in 1799, and came to Henderson about 1829. He married Emeline, daughter of John and Ruth (Hudson) Waite, in 1831, and they had four children, viz.: Mary Helen, Frances Amelia and Franklin A. (twins), and Carrie E. James Dodge was a life-long member of the M. E. Church. He died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. D. A. Rich, September 5, 1870.
Orson K. Estes, son of Joseph and Asenath (McArthur) Estes, was born in Essex County in 1814. At the age of about 15 years he was apprenticed to the blacksmiths' trade, and when 20 years old united with the Methodist Episcopal Church, and fitted for the ministry at the Conference School at Gouverneur. He was licensed to exhort in 1837, was ordained as deacon in 1842, and as elder in 1848. His zeal in the Master's work was greater than his physical endurance, and at times he was obliged to suspend his labors temporarily. In 1836 he married Delina F. Austin, who died in 1850. Their children were Helen A., Persis S., Warren F., and Flora D. He married, second, Elizabeth C., daughter of Jedediah and Betsey (Bell) McCumber, in 1850, who bore him four sons and two daughters, viz.: Orson J. J., W. Eddy R. (deceased), Libbie Evelyn, Orvis K. (deceased), Jessie E., and Orvis K. Mr. Estes located in Henderson in 1868, where he died in 1884. His widow and surviving children occupy the homestead.
David Fales, who was born in Holden, Mass., in 1791, came to Henderson about 1815. He was a cooper by trade. He married Rachel Wheeler, and they had a son and two daughters, viz.: Emory, who resides in this town; Sarah A., born in 1823, who married John Wood and lives in Michigan; and Clarissa, born in 1827, who married a Mr. Chickering, and died in Michigan in 1883. Emory Fales was born April 7, 1825, and was brought up a farmer. He married Lucy M., daughter of David and Elizabeth (Hungerford) Montague, in 1851, and they have two children, viz.: Willis G., born in 1855, who is a farmer and resides at home, and Ella E., born in 1859, who married William E. Matteson in 1876.
John H. Farman, son of Benjamin, was born in Bath, N. H., in 1799, and in 1819 came to Henderson. He married Lois Whittier, a second cousin of the famous poet, in 1821, and they had three sons and three daughters. The sons, Edson, David, and Benjamin, died in youth; Samantha married Simeon Danley, in 1849, and has a daughter, Lois H., a music teacher; Louise M. lives with her father; and Charlotte A. married Levi Crittenton, of Henderson. Mr. Farman is a prominent man, and has served as justice of the peace several years. He is a farmer and resides at Henderson village.
Peter Gilbert, son of William, was born on Long Island in 1794, and orphaned at an early age. He came to Ellisburgh a young man, locating near the mouth of Sandy Creek. He learned the ship carpenters' trade. He married Polly, daughter of William Skelton, who bore him a son, Nelson, and died in 1820. For his second wife he married Elizabeth Ann, sister of his first wife, and they had eight children, viz.: Peter, of Ellisburgh; William, of Henderson; Grant (deceased); Polly, of Minnesota; Alvis (deceased); Louisa (Mrs. George Washburn), of Ellisburgh; Thomas, of Ellisburgh; and Jane (deceased). William Gilbert was born in 1827. At the age of 13 years he shipped on board the schooner William L. Marcey, as cook, and sailed on the lakes until 1848. He built a schooner, and was captain of the same for five years; was pilot on the steam barge Thomas Jefferson for one season, and owned and run the schooner Trial four years. In 1863, with William McLean, he built the schooner Billow, 140 tons, which he run for a while, and in 1865, with Mr. McLean, bought the sloop McLellan, which he run for four years. In 1872 he bought the schooner Union and run her four years, and in 1879 built the schooner Gilbert. He came to Henderson Harbor in 1883, engaged in trade, and built a dock and warehouse. In 1888 he remodelled the schooner, made her a steam barge, and named her William Gilbert. Mr. Gilbert followed the lakes more than 45 years, and never lost a man or had a wreck. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Esquire and Phena (Washburn) Ellis, in 1853, and they have two sons and one daughter, viz.: Phena E., who married Erwin Sanford; John W., who married Myra Freeman, of Ellisburgh; and Grant A., who married Lottie M., daughter of C. D. and Addie (Norton) Eggleston. Mr. Gilbert resides at Henderson Harbor.
Nathaniel Gleason, son of Nathaniel, was born in Bennington, Vt., in 1804, whence he removed to Madison County, N. Y. He married a daughter of John Smith, and they had seven children, viz.: Laura A., Cordelia E., George W., W. Wallace, N. Miles, Fanny E., and Adelia S. W. Wallace Gleason, born in 1840, enlisted in Co. B, 186th N. Y. Inf., as lieutenant, in 1861, and served to the close of the war. He married Engelia A., daughter of John and Miranda (Congdon) Chapman, in 1863, and they have a son and a daughter, Mae F. (Mrs. George Smith), and Ralph W. Mr. Gleason has followed the lakes for many years. He resides in Henderson village.
Samuel Griggs, son of Daniel and Lydia (Naramore) Griggs, of Scotch descent, was born in Albany County, in 1796, and with his parents located in Salisbury, Herkimer County, in 1802, whence he removed to Jefferson County when 19 years of age, locating in this town, where he purchased the land now occupied by Newell N. Griggs. He was of kindly disposition, and generous hospitality, and was known by the old and young as "Uncle Sam." By industry and integrity he accumulated a competency, and at the time of his death owned more than 400 acres of land. He died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. L. W. Abbott, in 1885, in his 90th year. He married Hephzibah, daughter of Culver and Hephzibah (Dagget) Vezey, in 1837, who died in 1873. They had two sons and two daughters, viz.: William S., of Henderson, Rosetta Adelia (Mrs. Lewis W. Abbott), who also resides in Henderson; Emily Everett (Mrs. David Donce), who now resides in Toldeo; and Newell N., born July 19, 1848. Newell N. Griggs married Ella May, adopted daughter of William H. and Mila (Leffingwell) Rice, August 22, 1877, and they have three sons and one daughter, viz.: N. Willis, Daniel F., Seward A., and Mila Grace. Mr. Griggs is s a farmer, and owns and occupies the homestead where he was born, and which has never been owned out of the Griggs family. William S. Griggs, previously mentioned, was born February 13, 1838. He married Eunice Imogene, daughter of Job and Electa (Halladay) Rathbone, October 19, 1970, and they have three sons and two daughters, viz.: Rosetta Alice, a student in Adams Collegiate Institute, class of 1890; Samuel J., a student in Union Academy; and David D., Mabel Lillian, and Jessie R. Mr. Griggs is a farmer in this town.
Hiram Hill, son of Henry and Rhoda (Knight) Hill, was born in Washington County in 1803. He was reared upon a farm, and when 13 years of age removed to the town of Rutland. He married Jerusha, daughter of John and Ruth (Willsey) Ayres, of Rodman, in 1834, engaged in farming in Champion for a few years, and then located in Smithville, in this town, where he bought the Jesse Smith homestead, which he occupied at the time of his death in 1888. His widow survives him and resides with her son John A. They had born to them five sons and two daughters, of whom Nathaniel P., born in 1838, Avis A., born in 1844, who married John Pope of Smithville; and John A., born in 1846, are the only ones living. The latter married Harriet, daughter of Alexander and Melinda (Fuller) Leonard, and they have had children as follows: Leonard J., Eugene, deceased, Hiram, deceased, John A., Jr. Arthur D., Freddie M., and Marion M. John A. Hill is a farmer.
Orrin Hungerford was born in Pownal, Vt., in 1790, and when six years of age came to Jefferson County, locating in the town of Adams, where he learned the blacksmiths' trade. He married Abigail, daughter of Benjamin Morgan, in 1811, located in Paris, Oneida County, and about 1818 removed to Henderson and located at Hungerford Corners. There were born to him the following children: Lyman, now of Michigan; Maria, deceased; Harvey C., of Henderson; Lois E., who married and died in 1841; Polly J., deceased; Orrin, Jr., now of Michigan; Orville, who was drowned in 1844; William, deceased; and Henry C., now of Sackets Harbor. Harvey C. Hungeford was born January 12, 1817, and was reared upon a farm. He married Maria, daughter of William and Rhoda (Sawyer) Wilkinson, in 1841, and they had five children, of whom Albert W., born in 1848, married Marian, daughter of Putnam and Angeline (White) Boyce, in 1869, by whom he has two children, Angeline M. and Earl H.; Leland O., born in 1857, married Rose, daughter of Rose and Mary A. (Nelson) Streeter, by whom he has a son, Ethebert A., and is a merchant in Henderson; and De Witt, born in 1860, married Sadie E., daughter of Daniel N. and Mary M. (Seaton) Butts, of Henderson, by whom he has a daughter, Beulah Nadine. Mr. Hungerford is a prosperous farmer at Hungerford Corners.
Seeley Hungerford was born in Pownal, Vt., in 1783, and in 1804 located on a farm in Paris, Oneida County, N. Y. He served in the War of 1812, participated in the battle of Sackets Harbor, and drew "bounty land." He married Dorcas Mallory in 1804, and their children were William, Orrin, John, Ebenezer, Elizabeth, George W. M., Fayette, Charles, Hannah, and Dorcas. Orrin Hungerford was born in Westmoreland, N. Y., in 1808. At the age of 14 years he went to live with a Mr. Hollister, and at the age of 20 years learned the carpenters' trade. In 1831 he was employed in the construction of the Albany and Schenectady Railroad, and in the fall of 1832 was employed on the Schenectady and Saratoga Railroad. He was afterwards employed on the Utica and Schenectady road, and also on the Utica and Syracuse division of the N. Y. C. and H. R. road, having charge of a large number of men. Mr. Hungerford located in Henderson about 1833. He married, first Harriet Sears, of Rome, who bore him a son, Charles H., now of Colorado. By his second wife, Sophia A. Vail, he had a son and a daughter -- Christopher C., who died young, and Helen, who married Myron Harrington and had five children, and died in 1887. Upon the death of his second wife Mr. Hungerford married Susan Segar, in 1854, who died in 1882, and for his fourth wife he married Charity, daughter of Gideon and Lucy (Rich) Potter, in 1883. He resides in Henderson village.
John Ivory, son of John, was born in Massachusetts. His children were Sally, born in 1803, Jonas, Horace, Theophilus, John, Norman, who died during the late war, Maria, who resides in the West, William, who resides in Michigan, and Louisa, who married Amasa Clark, of Michigan. Theophilus Ivory married Julia, daughter of Henry and Tamson (Rogers) Kapp, in 1834, and they had seven children, viz.: Emeline (Mrs. Christopher C. Wilder); Stratton, now a resident of Smithville; Franklin H., of Michigan, whose daugher Ella is the wife of Miles Van Alstine, of Sackets Harbor; John W., of Smithville; Theodore H.; DeWitt C.; and Harrison H., born in 1849. John Ivory, the progenitor of those of that name in Henderson, was one of the earliest settlers in Henderson. He located on the farm now occupied by Mrs. C. C. Wilder, and was a blacksmith. His son Theophilus spent most of his life on the farm, dying here in 1863.
Russell M. Jones, son of Elias and Sarah (Morgan) Jones, was born in Bridgwater, Oneida County, in 1811, and was reared upon a farm. He located in Henderson about 1833, and in 1834 married Olive, daughter of David Smith, of Adams, who died in 1878. Their children were five sons and three daughters, viz.: Sarah M., born in 1835, who married Dr. M. D. Manville, of Adams; Russell M., of Michigan; David W. (deceased); Harriet W., who married Stephen Collins, of Henderson; Henry W., who resides in this town; William and Albert W., who died young; and Emma C., who married Harrison Ivory and died in 1886. Henry W. Jones was born in 1843. He was reared upon a farm, and was educated at Union Academy and a commercial school in Poughkeepsie. He married Ann Elizabeth, daughter of Henry T. and Elizabeth (Snell) Howard, in 1879, by whom he has had four sons, viz.: Howard W., who died in infancy, Shuler M., Harry R., and Starr C. Russell Jones and son Henry W. are farmers on road 14, in Henderson.
Arthur M. Kilby, son of George and Ann M. (Hitchcock) Kilby, was born in 1847. He clerked in a store for a number of years, and in 1882 was appointed examiner in the Pension Bureau at Washington, which position he retained until the spring of 1888. He is now engaged with Dr. Olin F. Bull, as a pension attorney at Henderson. In 1874 he married Anna, daughter of Dr. Daniel B. Nugent, and their children are Pauline E., born in 1875; Ruth E., born in 1877; Daniel N., born in 1879; and Allen E., born in 1882.
Thomas Lane, son of Thomas, was born in Dorsetshire, Eng., in 1801. He married Charlotte Williams in 1825, and their children who were born in England were Ann, who married William Crannage, and died in Ellisburgh in 1863; William and George, of Henderson; and Sarah, who married Daniel Deming, of Lewis County. Mr. Lane came to America in 1832, and located in Hounsfield. His children born in Jefferson County were Marion, who died in infancy; Maria, who married Alexander Mathews, of Ellisburgh; Charles, who resides in Minnesota; Thomas N., of Henderson; Henry, deceased; Amos, who resides in Henderson; and Harriet, who married John Mathews, of Ellisburgh. George Lane was born in 1830, and located in Henderson in 1847. He married Clarinda, daughter of Harry and Phebe (Bullock) Alexander, January 1, 1863, and is now a farmer. Amos Lane, son of Thomas, born in 1844, was reared upon a farm. He married Elien M., daughter of Fales and Linda (Harris) Johnson, in 1865, and they have two sons, Arthur F. and Philip S. Mr. Lane enlisted in Co. E, 10th N. Y. H. A., and served to the close of the war. Thomas N. Lane was born in 1839; He married Jane, daughter of Chester Barrett in 1862, and their children are Fred, Burt, Frank, and Kate. William Lane, born in 1828, married Sarah A. Stoodly in 1858, and they have a son, Charles A. Peter Lane, born in 1844, married Alta A. Eggleston in 1869, and they have a son, Anson P. Thomas Lane, the father of these children, died in 1887, and his wife in 1876.
Amos Lawrence, son of Amos, was born in Vermont in 1786, and was a mason by trade. He came to Henderson about 1807. He married Harrespa Harris, and their children were Minerva A., Betsey R., Almira B., Amasa F., Laura L., Amanda R., Angeline, Clarissa, John D., Newcomb, and Albert G. The latter was born in Henderson in 1832, learned the carpenters' trade, taught school many terms, and has been a justice of the peace and census marshal. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Co. E, 10th N. Y. H. A., and served to the close of the war. He married Sarah, daughter of Clark and Emeline (Youngs) Stevens, December 30, 1955, and they have had four children, viz.: Milton C./, born in 1858; Mary Louisa, born in 1862, who married Wallace G. Rogers in 1887, and has a daughter, M. Bessie, born in 1888; Clifton, born in 1873, who died in infancy; and Carl A. R., born in 1878. Mr. Lawrence resides in Henderson Village.
John H. Lovelee, son of John and Caroline (Webb) Lovelee, was born in Lorraine in 1851, and was reared upon a farm. He married Alice, daughter of Stephen and Brittan (Smith) Wood, in 1876, and they have a daughter, Jessie Ann, born in 1880. Mr. Lovelee resided at Rural Hill and Belleville, in the town of Ellisburgh, for several years, and later came to Henderson and kept the New York House, which he sold in 1885 and bought the Exchange Hotel. This he rebuilt and refurnished, giving it the name of Windsor House, of which he is now proprietor.
Hugh McIntosh, son of Samuel, from the north of Ireland, came to Canada with his parents when 13 years of age. He married Phebe, daughter of Uriah and Rebecca (Sherwood) Beeman, who bore him five sons and four daughters. His son, Samuel McIntosh, was born in 1839. He married Almira, daughter of Rice and Polly (Scott) Honeywell, in 1862, and they had three sons and two daughters, viz.: Emily Melissa, Frank F., J. Willard, Carrie W., Adelbert R., and Ray A. Mr. McIntosh located in St. Lawrence County in the spring of 1867. In the fall of 1869 he bought the Williams farm on road 4, in this town, where he now resides. He is an earnest worker in the Methodist Episcopal Church, and a prosperous farmer.
William Mather, son of Timothy and Hannah (Church) Mather, was born in Marlboro, Windham County, Vt., in 1789, and in 1810 came to Jefferson County, where he worked out among the farmers. He married Polly, daughter of Josiah and Betsey (Smith) Dudley, February 20, 1820, by whom he had four sons and three daughters, viz.: Milo S., Simeon, George, Betsey, Eliza, Malvina, and William. Milo S. was born in Adams, January 28, 1821. He married Adelia S., daughter of Jabez and Abigail (Kimball) Hunting, of Henderson, in 1849. Their children: Frances E., married Henry Collins in 1872, and they have three children -- Frank M., Fred J., and Ross S.; Jean J., born in 1856, graduated from Union Academy and Madison University, is now a teacher. Milo S. Mather located on the farm he now occupies in 1850. He is a liberal supporter of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he has been trustee. Simeon Mather was born in 1822. He married Mary E., daughter of Henry and Hannah (Packer) Green, in 1847, and they have two sons and one daughter, viz.: Adelbert G., Foster D., and Lida E., the latter a graduate of Hamilton Female Seminary. Mr. Mather is a prosperous farmer in this town. William Mather, son of William, was born August 20, 1834, and was educated at Union Academy. He married Eunice S., daughter of Alvah and Louise (Packer) Bull, in 1876, and they have a son, William A., born in 1879. Mr. Mather taught school for many years. He is a wholesale seed grower and dealer, and has a landed estate of more than 550 acres.
Adonijah Montague, son of Samuel, was born in Sunderland, Mass., in 1757. He removed with his parents to Bennington, Vt. In 1776 he enlisted in the Revolutionary army, and participated in the battle of Bennington. He married Mary Simonds, and they had three sons and two daughters, viz.: Mary, Joel, Hannah, Joseph A., and David (born in Pawlet, Vt., in 1795). The latter came with his parents to Henderson when quite young, was reared upon a farm, and afterwards became a successful school teacher, in which laudable profession he was engaged during the winters of 40 years. He located upon the farm now occupied by Justus A. Montague. He was a man of affairs, served as supervisor, superintendent of schools, and superintendent of the poor, and was a member of the legislature in 1861. In 1866 he located in Henderson village and purchased the place now occupied by Murray Scott, where he passed the remainder of his long and well-spent life, dying in 1880. He married Elizabeth Hungerford in 1821, and the following children were born to them, viz.: Joel S., born in 1823, who died in 1878; Justus A., born in 1825; Benjamin H., born in 1827; who died in California in 1863; and Lucy M., who married Emory Fales. Upon the death of his first wife David Montague married Mary Phelps, in 1835, who bore him two children, Harrison and David. His second wife died in 1847, and in 1848 he married Jane, daughter of Noah and Emily (Sechtner) Damon, in 1848, and their children were Adonijah, of Henderson, born in 1849; Laura M., born June 22, 1856, who married Murray B. Scott; Lydia, who married Robert Hollis, and died in 1879, aged 21 years; and Fred M., who died in 1883, aged 18 years. The mother, Jane, married David J. Hunter and resides in Henderson.
George Moody, son of Ransaw and Polly (Butterfield) Moody, was born in Rodman in 1826, and when seven years of age came with his parents to Henderson. He married Sophia, daughter of William and Rhoda (Sawyer) Wilkinson, in 1849, and they have a daughter and a son, viz.: Eva St. Clair, who married Adelbert White, in 1873, and has two sons, Leon and James; and Melvin, who married Nellie J., daughter of John and Julia (Clark) Britton, of Watertown, in 1879, and has a son, Alden A., born in 1882. George Moody located in the western part of the town as proprietor of the Cedar Brush horse and stock farm, upon which is located a fine half-mile race- track. The fine road and trotting horses which have been bred upon this farm, rank with the best in this county. Melvin Moody has conducted the farm since his father's death, and has successfully maintained the high standard of the stock.
Daniel B. Nugent, son of John and Margaret (Carson) Nugent, was born in Marysburg, Prince Edward's District, Canada, in 1820. His father was a lieutenant in the Revolutionary war. Mr. Nugent studied medicine with Dr. Thomas Moore, of Picton, Ont., attended college at Castleton, Vt., graduated before the medical board of Oswego in 1849, and commenced practice in Pulaski, Oswego County. In the spring of 1850 he located in Henderson. He married Mary Jane, daughter of Richard and Fanny (Southard) Fletcher, in 1845, who died in 1887, aged 60 years. They had four children, viz.: Elizabeth, Anna, and Sibyl, deceased, and Anna, 2d (Mrs. Arthur Kilby), born April 22, 1851. Dr. Nugent has been in the successful practice of his profession for 40 years. He resides in Henderson village.
Leonard Nutting, son of Simeon, married Betsey Stevens, and they were among the early settlers of Henderson, locating on the farm now occupied by the widow of William R. Nutting. Their children were Clara, Russell, Olive, Polly P., William R., George, Royal, Artimissa, Pamelia, Merilda, Jane, Fenton, and Orville, the latter of whom served in the late war and died in 1865.
William Nutting, son of Simeon, was born in Columbus, Chenango County, in 1789, and died in Henderson in 1865. He married Mary, daughter of Jonathan Matteson, and their children were Sally, who married Lyman Hungerford; Eliza, who married Elisha Brown; Phebe, who was the second wife of Elisha Brown; Samuel H., who was born in 1821, married Betsey A. Stevens, and their children were Sally, Simeon C., Mary, Alvero C., and William E.; Nelson, who resides in Michigan; Charles C., who resides in Henderson on the homestead on Nutting street; Harvey, who died while serving in the late war; and Martha, who married Munroe Molyneaux and died in Michigan. Charles C. Nutting was born in 1828, and was reared upon a farm. He married Angeline Jennette, daughter of the late Rev. Leander and Dorcas (Tifft) Cowles, December 31, 1845.
Joel Overton, a native of Long Island, married Naomi Wells and reared a large family, most of whom located in Henderson about 1820. Elisha Overton, son of Joel, born in 1800, married Ruth Carter, by whom he had children as follows: Henry T., of Adams; William C., of Michigan; Joshua W., of Henderson; Lorinda A. (Mrs. Jasper Green), of Hounsfield; Helen E. (Mrs. Frank Kellogg), of Adams, Amelia (Mrs. John Carter), of Long Island; Lucinda (Mrs. Robert Albin); Betsey (Mrs. Willard Wright), of Adams; Dr. Martin L., of Lorraine; and Hattie (Mrs. Willis Babcock), of Adams. Joshua W. Overton was born in Henderson in 1827, and was reared upon a farm. He married, first, Maria, daughter of Samuel and Polly (Edwards) Spencer, in 1851, and they had five sons and one daughter, viz.: Charles M., of Ellisburgh; Frank W., of Henderson; Floyd C., also of Henderson; Nellie F., deceased; Binis E., deceased; and Willie S., also deceased. His wife died in 1871, and for his second wife Mr. Overton married, in 1875, Mrs. Julia (Holcomb) Hawkins. He has an adopted daughter, Mamie. Charles M. Overton was born in 1854, and in 1882 he married Minnie E., daughter of Horatio and Elizabeth (Mayo) Evans, by whom he has a son, Brent E. He is a farmer. Floyd Overton, born in 1858, was educated at Belleville Academy and Cornell University. He married Anna S., daughter of Aaron and Caroline (Grinnell) Allen, in 1884, and they have a son, Floyd E.
Samuel Parsons, son of Samuel and Mary (Buck) Parsons, was born in Connecticut, and at the age of 16 years located in Rodman, in this county, and engaged in farming. He married Phebe, daughter of John Case, and they had four sons and three daughters, viz.: Samantha, Almanza, Lorrilla, Asaph, John, Chauncey G., and Earskine D. The latter was born in 1843, and was reared upon a farm. He taught school 19 terms. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Co. E, 10th N. Y. H. A., and served to the close of the war. In 1868 he married Emma, daughter of Elias and Anna (Atridge) Dickinson, by whom he has a son and four daughters, viz.: Flora E., Florence A., Effie L., Clarence E., and Eva R. In 1858 Mr. Parsons located on the farm on road 48, which he now occupies.
Luman Peck married Eunice Bell and located in Henderson about 1805. Their children were Elisha, Sally, Royal, Daniel, Chester, David, Alanson, Diadama, and Harriet. David married Alzina Joslin, and their son George is the well-known editor of Peck's Sun and author of Peck's Bad Boy.
George Penney, a farmer, was born in Connecticut, and also died there. Of his family of 11 children, Amial, born in 1787, came with his mother and brothers and sisters to Henderson in 1806. Amial married Polly, daughter of William White, and their children were Temperance (Mrs. William Hawkins), deceased; James, who died while serving in the navy during the late war; Foster J.; Noah T.; Lucelia, who married John Simson; Burton, of Henderson; Cornelia, who married Washington Kelby; and Amial, Jr. Amial, Sr., died in 1851, and his wife Polly, in 1854. Capt. Burton Penney was born March 28, 1828. At the age of 15 years he shipped as cook on onboard the schooner Dexter, with his brother F. J. He worked on sailing vessels until 1851, and from that time until 1861 was engaged on steam craft. In 1861 he became master of the passenger steamer Buffalo, and later was captain of the passenger boat Idaho for 15 years. He continued on the lakes until 1883, during which time he ran passenger steamers, about 22 years, without loss or damage to the company. He married Mary F., daughter of Captain Clark and Emeline (Youngs) Stevens, in 1854. Mr. Penney is now engaged in farming in Henderson.
John C. Pope, son of John and Barbara (Shubert) Pope, was born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1833, and was left an orphan at the age of 4 years. He learned the weavers' trade, and worked at the business several years. In 1854 he emigrated to America, and after a tempestuous voyage of 40 days landed at New York, soon after finding his way to Smithville, his worldly possessions at this time consisting of one silver dollar. He worked on a farm for O. H. Knapp until 1861. He married Avis Alice, daughter of Hiram and Jerusha (Ayres) Hill. Their children: Wilbur, born in 1861, who married Martha Martin, and has a son, William E., Eva Evangeline, who married Dr. S. C. Clark, and has a son, Hubert J.; Hiram S.; Silas W.; and Frank J. In 1861 Mr. Pope bought the farm at Smithville, which he now occupies.
James M. Rice married Martha Durham and located in Ellisburgh about 1852. He had six sons -- Nathan, James M., Silas N. and Noah E. (twins), and George W. Silas N. Rice was born in 1858, and was reared upon a farm. He worked at lumbering in Michigan for several years, and at farming in Depauville three years. In 1883 he married Sarah S., daughter of Peter and Susan (Durham) Lane, of Depauville, and they have a son, Perley A., born in 1884. Mr. Rice came to Henderson in the spring of 1887. He carries on a farm of 350 acres at Bishop Street, for P. M. Davis.
Seth Rice, a native of Guilford, Vt., married, first, Abigail Chase, and located in Ellisburgh about 1812. They had five children, all deceased. He married, second, Abigail Cole, and they had two children. For his third wife, he married Judith Linton, and they had four children: Samantha, Cynthia, Almira, and Lucy. Henry Rice, son of Seth and Abigail, was born in Vermont in 1804, and came to this county with his parents when eight years of age, locating in the town of Ellisburgh. He learned the carpenters' trade, and worked with Jesse Smith, at Smithville. In 1829 he married Lucy, daughter of Thomas and Lucy (Kellogg), Sanford, by whom he had five sons and two daughters, viz.: William H., of Smithville; Sanford, of Michigan; Abah, of Chicago; Frances (Mrs. Emory Clark), of Henderson; Walter E., of Michigan; Abigail A. (Mrs. O. D. Perry), of Dexter; and Alberto, of Henderson. William H. Rice was born in 1830, received a good education, and engaged in teaching for more than 22 years. He was a justice of the peace for 20 years, postmaster at Smithville for 11 years, and is now engaged in the general insurance business. He married Mila E., daughter of Reuben and Sarah (Carpenter) Leffingwell, in 1857, who bore him three sons, viz.: Arthur L., born in 1860, who married Carrie Englehart, and has a daughter, Florence E.; William S., born July 4, 1865; and Roscoe C., who died in infancy. Mr. Rice located in Smithville in 1870, and engaged in mercantile pursuits. William S. Rice engaged with Capt. W. A. Collins in the manufacture of classic trusses, with whom he continued in business several years. He is now proprietor and manufacturer of Rice's adjustable elastic truss and "rupture cure ointment," and resides on Main street.
Truman Rich located in Henderson in 1837. He married Julia Coon, by whom he had a son, De Alton, born January 8, 1840. De Alton was educated at Union Academy, and taught school many terms. He married Frances Amelia, daughter of James and Emeline (Waite) Dodge, in 1865, and they have had three children, viz.: Ralph W., who died in 1871; Lena Julia, now a student in Adams Collegiate Institute; and Ross C. Mr. Rich is a prosperous farmer, and now occupies the homestead where he was bron. He is a liberal supporter of the M. E. Church, and was formerly superintendent of its Sabbath-school.
William Ripley, a native of Adams, married Lydia J. Mead, who bore him two sons, Lester M., who died in Adams, and Charles, who died while in service in the late war. Upon the death of his first wife Mr. Ripley married Maria, daughter of Stephen and Orma (Richards) Wilcox, and they had two daughters, one of whom, Lydia, married Thomas Webb, and has three children, Leila M., Jennie F., and Frances. The latter was born in 1847, and married Rollin C. Church. Mr. Ripley was an active member of the Methodist Church. He died January 26, 1882, aged 70 years, respected by all who knew him.
John Robbins, a native of England, located in Wethersfield, Conn., in 1638, where he died in 1660. Joshua, his youngest son, was born in 1651. Jonathan, son of Joshua, was born in 1694. Solomon, son of Jonathan, was born in 1743. Austin, son of Solomon, was born in 1786. Willis, son of Austin, was born in 1814. Austin Robbins located in the town of Hounsfield about 1807, and took up land in the southern part of the town, where he built a log house. He was a wheelright by trade. He married Eunice Morton, and their children were Appleton W., of Henderson, Willis, Austin, Camille, Albert C., and Elizabeth J. Austin Robbins bought the Seymour farm, and added other lands until he owned 250 acres of choice farming lands, where he died in 1868. Appleton W. Robbins was born on the homestead in 1812. He married Melissa S., daughter of Elijah and Nancy (Green) Gove, in 1846, who bore him two children, viz.: Alice N., born in 1847, who died in 1873, and Albert A., born April 26, 1849. The latter was reared upon a farm, and was educated at Union Academy. He married Lucy Evangeline, daughter of Fayette and Caroline (Hunting) Stanley, in 1872, and their children are Glenn S., Lawrence J., May Alice, and Lena Melissa. Mr. Robbins and son Albert A. are extensively engaged in farming, and occupy the homestead one mile south of Smithville.
Ebenezer Sawyer, a native of Wales, came to America and located at Methuen, Mass., and afterwards served in the Revolutionary war. He married Hannah Whittier, and of their seven children, Charles was born in 1791, and came to Henderson previous to 1811, locating about half a mile west of the village. He served in the War of 1812, and after the war removed to Vermont. He married Sarah, daughter of James and Sarah (Richards) Shepard, of Danville, Vt., in 1821, and they had seven children, of whom Frederick and Sophia died young; Harriet N. married George A. Thompson, in 1850, and has a daughter, Kate E., who married George Fulford, of Dakota; James died in Wisconsin in 1880; Asa died in Henderson in 1886; Katie married Adelbert Kilby, of Henderson, in 1859, and has had three children -- Harriet T., Charles A., and James G.; and Charles F. was born in October, 1837. Charles F. Sawyer, learned the carpenters' trade, and at his country's call enlisted in the Union army, in the 35th N. Y. Regt. He married Christie A., daughter of Sylvester and August (Bates) Kilby, November 27, 1860, who bore him a daughter, Flora Augusta, who died April 23, 1885, aged 21 years. Mr. Sawyer's wife died September 29, 1887, and for his second wife he married Mrs. Fanny Eliza Kilby, widow of Edwin B. Kilby, and daughter of Nathaniel and Fanny (Smith) Gleason, June 10, 1888. Mr. Sawyer resides in Henderson Village.
Murray B. Scott, son of Eastman J. and Lydia (Howe) Scott, was born in Ellisburgh in 1840, and was reared upon a farm. He was subsequently engaged as clerk in a general store for several years. In 1873 he married Laura M. Montague, and they have a son, Harley M., born in 1876. Mr. Scott resides on Main street, in Henderson Village.
Asa Seaton was a native of Virginia, whence he removed to Connecticut, where he married Rebecca Barns, and subsequently located in Washington County, N. Y. He had six sons and four daughters. He came to Henderson about 1817, soon after removing to Ellisburgh, where he took up 600 acres of land. Leonard Seaton, his son, born in 1794, at the age of 13 years was apprenticed to Rufus Barns, of Rome, to learn the tanners' and curriers' trade. He subsequently located in Ellisburgh, where he engaged in shoemaking and farming, and in 1837 removed to Henderson. He married Polly, daughter of Andrew Pennell, in 1822, and their children were Andrew P., Boynton C., Leonard, Jr., Francis P., and Samuel G. His wife died in 1834, and for his second wife he married Sarah S., daughter of Levi and Betsey (Mason) Chapman, in 1834, and their children were Mary M.; Cornelia, who died in infancy; Arminda; Chauncey, of Chicago; Ambrose B., of Dakota; George L., who was lost with the steamer Manistee in 1884; Louise; and Herbert J. Mr. Seaton died in 1872, and his wife in 1887. Leonard Seaton, Jr., was born in 1827, and learned the trade of tanner and currier. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Co. E, 10th N. Y. H. A., was made lieutenant in 1863, and served to the close of the war. In 1866 he engaged in mercantile business, in 1873 in ship building, and in 1877 again engaged in mercantile pursuits. Mr. Seaton is a Democrat, but has been elected to town and county offices in a largely Republican district. He was supervisor from 1872 to 1875 inclusive, was deputy sheriff three years, and was sheriff of the county in 1878. In 1850 he married Harriet A., daughter of Joseph and Mary Ann (Bennett) Bates, who died in 1859, and in 1866 he married Maria, daughter of Emory and Marcia (Johnson) Sprague, by whom he has a daughter, Mabel Rebecca, born in 1883. He is now a farmer.
Gamaliel Simmons was born in Dighton, Mass., in 1779. He located in Bristol, Ontario County, and engaged in farming, dying in 1828. He married Abigail, daughter of Bishop Stillwell, of Livingston County, N. Y., in 1804, and they had five sons and three daughters. His son, Loren B. Simmons, was born in Ontario County. He early removed with his mother to Michigan, and was reared upon a farm and taught school winters for several years. He engaged in mercantile pursuits in Battle Creek, Mich., in 1851, and in 1859 he came to Henderson and opened a general store in company with Sylvester Smith, with whom he remained seven years, afterwards conducting the store alone and with his son as partner until 1880, when he engaged in farming. He married Mary, daughter of Sylvester and Nancy (Kniffen) Smith, of Henderson, in 1850, and they had a son, Charles L. Charles L. Simmons was born in 1851. He graduated at Canton University and taught school several terms. In 1876 he shipped as purser on the Jay Gould, plying between Buffalo and Toledo, and in 1878 served on the passenger steamer Toledo, been [sic] Buffalo and Green Bay. In 1883 he shipped on board the Nyick, plying between Buffalo and Deluth, on which vessel he is now employed. In 1874 Mr. Simmons married Ellen L., daughter of E. O. and Caroline (Osgood) Kilby, and they have a daughter, L. Maude.
Ebenezer Smith was born in Galway, Saratoga County, N.Y., in 1739. He married Rhoda Beebe in 1763, and their son Ahira, born in 1764, married Sarah Gates, in 1783, who bore him three children - Rhoda, Beebe, and Ansel. Ahira married, second, Rebecca Cahoon, in 1796, and their children were Ebenezer, Sally G., Lyman, and Sabrina. Lyman Smith, born July 12, 1804, married Charlotte, daughter of Moses and Cynthia (Thomas) Barrett, February 14, 1833, and they had children as follows: Cynthia A., born in 1835, who married Elmon Tyler, by whom she had four children - Bert, Etta L., George E., and Lottie; Newton, of Henderson, born in 1837, who married Mrs. White, a widow, who bore him two sons--George, who was killed at the second battle of Bull Run, and Charles; and Asa, born in 1840, who married Mary J. Barrett and lives in Henderson. Lyman Smith was accidentally drowned while attempting to cross Six Town Pond, December 2, 1857. His widow Charlotte Smith, resides with her daughter, Mrs. Elmon Tyler, in Hillside cottage at Henderson Harbor.
Harvey Smith, son of Asa, was born in Saratoga County, N.Y., in 1797, and in February, 1805, came to Henderson with his parents. He married Sarah Bell, February 2, 1824, and they had three sons and six daughters, viz.: Whitman, who married Lucinda Scott and was drowned by the sinking of the steamer Lac La Belle, in Lake Michigan; Cornelia E., who married George A. Barney and lives in Michigan; Adelia, who married A.K. Davis and also lives in Michigan; Ermina E. and Eliza E. (twins), the former of whom married William Pitt Davis, 1856, and died in 1881, and the latter married Lester Muzzy and lives in Henderson; E. Kinsley, who married Annetta Bull and resides in Denver, Col.; Lucinda B., who married M. M. Rice, a Methodist clergyman; Ellen A., who married Col. L. K. Bishop, of Grand Rapids, Mich.; and Albert O., born in 1847, who married Lucy Ann, daughter of Jacob and Lucy A. (Wakefield) Van Winkle, in 1871, by whom he has two daughters, Lulu Edna, born in 1876, and Myrtie Ione, born in 1880. Harvey Smith was a liberal supporter of the Methodist Church, and died in 1883. His first wife having died in 1868, he married Mrs. Nancy Clark, who died in 1880. Albert O. Smith is postmaster and a farmer at Bishop Street.
Anthony Sprague, son of Harvey, came from Walbridge, Conn., to Henderson about 1805. He married Esther Jones, and they had four sons and three daughters. Emory, son of Anthony, was born in 1794, served in the War of 1812, and assisted in carrying the cable to Sackets Harbor. He married Marcia R., daughter of William and Eleanor (Green) Johnson, by whom he had 11 children, viz.: Morrison E., Lewis G., William, Marion J. (Mrs. Leonard Seaton), Alphonzo, Fardon A., Daniel J., Frances A., Charles H., Maria H., and Almont A. Charles H. Sprague was born June 28, 1841, and was reared upon a farm. He sailed on the lakes for two years, and clerked in a store at Belleville for a time. In 1861 he enlisted in Co. K., 94th Regt., was promoted to corporal in 1862, and to sergeant in 1863; reenlisted in the same company, was commissioned second lieutenant, in the August following became first lieutenant, and in the winter of 1865 became adjutant. He was in the battles of Cedar Mountain, second Bull Run, Chantilly, South Mountain, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Petersburg, Wilderness, and others, and was brevetted captain for meritorious conduct in the battle of Five Forks, April 1, 1865. He was also at Appomattox at the time of Lees surrender. After he returned from the war he engaged in the grocery business, was postmaster from 1866 to 1869, and again from 1874 to 1885. He has been a justice of the peace about 10 years. In 1873 he bought the Seaton store, and in 1877 built the block he now owns. February 17, 1884, he married Martha A., daughter of James and Sophia (Oatman) Green, and now resides at Henderson. His father, Emory Sprague, died in 1869.
Otis Thompson, a native of New Hampshire, married Jane, daughter of Parley Mason, and soon after engaged in farming and lumbering in Derby, Vt. They had two sons -- Perley M., now of Minneapolis, Minn., and Payson F. The latter was born in 1844, and was reared upon a farm. He enlisted in Co. B, 8th Vols., and served to the close of the war, after which he resided in Kansas for a time. In 1867 he came to Henderson and engaged as clerk in the store of George Thompson, and in 1872 opened a store on his own account. In 1876 he built the Thompson block, where he is now engaged in mercantile business. Mr. Thompson married Frances A., only daughter of William and Mary Jane (Moody) Dobson, of Henderson, in 1869. He resides in his block on Park street.
Benjamin Van Winckel, son of Benjamin and Margaret (Lawson) Van Winckel, was born on Long Island in 1784, and was a tanner and currier by trade. He married Sally Peek, and in 1806 located in the town of Lorraine. They had three children. His first wife died, and in 1811 he married Eunice Hartinan, who bore him 11 children, of whom Jacob H. was born in 1817, and in 1838 located in Henderson and engaged in wagonmaking. In 1845 he bought the Pearl Dean mill, which was burned in 1851 and rebuilt by Mr. Van Winckel in the spring of 1852, and again burned in 1885, and rebuilt in the fall of the same year and turning works added. He married Lucy Ann, daughter of Simon and Submit (Howard) Wakefield, in 1840, and they had born to them the following children: Edward, who died in infancy; Viola, who married F. A. Collins; Naomi, who married, first, H. E. Stevens, and second, J. M. Hazelwood; Lucy Ann, who married A. O. Smith; Emeline, who married E. D. McLean; and Willis J. The latter was born April 18, 1864, and learned the carriagemaking business, and is with his father. He married Ida Esther, daughter of Z. R. and Esther J. (Desmore) Merriam, of Dexter, in 1886, and they have a daughter, Flossie.
Captain Henry R. Warner, son of William, was born in 1807. When 12 years of age he engaged to work for a Mr. Johnson, at $4 a month, and in 1820 shipped on board the schooner Richard M., at $6 a month. His wages were contributed to the support of his mother and younger brothers and sisters. In the spring of 1821 he shipped as cook with Captain Hawkins, with the additional duty of standing watch two hours every night. He sailed with Capt. Hawkins the next year, receiving $12 amonth, and was soon after promoted to master of the Richard M., and on his first voyage saved the cook on his vessel from a "watery grave." Captain Warner spent many years upon the lakes. He married Theda L., daughter of Allen and Theda (Derrin) Kilby, and they had two sons and two daughters, viz.: George H., Allen K., Theda A., and Mary C. Captain Warner died in 1886, and his wife in 1888. George H. Warner was born November 28, 1828, and was educated in the schools of his native town. He married Sibelia A., daughter of John and Jane (Cook) Carpenter, of Henderson, in 1850, and they have an adopted son, Sidney A., born in 1873. When 15 years of age Mr. Warner located with his father on the farm he now owns and occupies. He is proprietor of "Edgewater" summer resort, on road 7, one mile north of Henderson Harbor.
Captain George Wescott was born in 1813, and died in the town of Henderson, in 1863. He married Catherine, daughter of Thomas Bell, and they had four sons and one daughter, viz.: Flora A., who died in 1859, aged 20 years; Wellington, of Adams; Edwin, of Winona, Minn.; Byron M.; and Nelson L. Byron M. Wescott married Hattie M., daughter of Henry and Laura (Fuller) Murphy, of Dexter, in 1869, who bore him two children, Belle M. and George H. Nelson L. Wescott married Sarah E. Murphy in 1878, who bore him a son, Frank N. Byron M. and Nelson L. Wescott were drowned by the upsetting of a boat September 5, 1879, an account of which calamity see in preceding page.* Their widows and children reside on the homestead on road 2.
*The account of this tragedy appeared on p. 450 in the text preceding the biographical sketches:
"On Friday, September 5, 1879, a sad casualty occurred, which resulted in the death by drowning of seven persons. Captain Byron M. and Nelson L. Wescott, owners of the sailboat West Wind, left Campbell's Point with a crew of seven men, intending to go to Henderson Harbor to participate in a yacht race. Soon after starting their boat sprung a leak and was almost immediately capsized by a sudden puff of wind. The boat was heavily ballasted, and at once sank in 18 feet of water. Two of the men, Morgan Weeks and Charles Washburn, clung to the mast of the boat and were saved. The other attempted to swim to the shore, about 60 rods distant, and were drowned. The names of the unfortunate ones were Byron M. and Nelson L. Wescott, Allen Ramsey, Drake Lewis, Shuler Howard, Edgar York, and Edward Benjamin."
James S. White, son of Bernard, was born in Dublin, Ireland, in 1792, and was educated for the priesthood at the University of Dublin. He became a sailor, and about 1812 came to America and enlisted in the American navy, serving to the close of the war in 1815. He was employed as a clerk in a general store in Henderson for several years, when he engaged in sailing on the lakes in the employ of Jesse Hopkins. He married Phebe, daughter of Israel and Mehitable (Johnson) Everden, and they had five children, viz.: James M., Julia (Mrs. Washington Hungerford), and Edward, who reside in Henderson, and Angeline, (Mrs. Schuyler P. Boyce) and Jane, who are deceased. James M. White was born April 17, 1819, and at the age of 11 years commenced sailing on the lakes. In 1842 he became captain of the boat Sir William Wallace. He subsequently sailed the Neptune, O. V. Brainard, Daniel Webster, Lucy Auchard, Volunteer, S. D. Hungerford, C. G. Mixer, Dashing Wave, Alagan, Trade Wind, Jennie White, and Mohegan. Mr. White began ship building in 1853, and subsequently built the boats Trade Wind, Lucy Auchard, Volunteer, S. D. Hungerford, C. G. Mixer, Phoenix, Seaton, James Wade, and the Jennie White. In 1851 he bought the farm where he now resides, to which he has since added other lands, until he now owns 222 acres. He married Hannah, daughter of Seele and Dorcas (Mallory) Hungerford, March 12, 1843, who bore him six children, viz.: Julias A. (Mrs. Almont Sprague), Phebe (Mrs. Charles Patridge), Albert E., Elwin (deceased), Adelaide (deceased), and Everett W. The latter was born in 1859, and was reared upon the farm. He married Annis P., daughter of Peter and Pauline (Boyce) Howard, in 1882, and they have a son, Rossie E., born September 7, 1885. James M. White has served his town as justice of the peace.
George Gale Whitney, mentioned in the preceding sketch, was born October 23, 1817, and was reared upon a farm. He married Sally M., daughter of Joseph and Pamelia (Penney) Hawkins, in 1845, and they had seven sons and four daughters, viz.: Cassius, born in 1846, who married Adelia Gleason in 1873; Franklin A., born in 1847, who married Hattie Robbins, and resides in Wisconsin; Ella V., born in 1849, who married C. J. Jenks, of Michigan; Worthley, born in 1851, who married Catharine Barney, of Henderson; Lucy, born in 1853, who married Q. M. Searle and died in Lowville in 1886; Fred, who was born in 1855; Gilbert W., born in 1856, who married Mary Ross, of Wisconsin; Harley, born in 1858, who died in 1860; Minnie, born in 1862, who is a teacher; Nettie, born in 1864, who married Arthur Snow and lives in Henderson; and Harley O., born in 1866, who married Bessie A., daughter of Abel and Mary J. (Miller) Dare, in 1888. George G. Whitney and sons Fred and Harley O. reside on the homestead, which has never been owned out of the Whitney family.
Stephen Whitney, son of Samuel and Mary (St. John) Whitney, was born in New York in 1778, and became a farmer. He married Sally, daughter of Sylvester and Rebecca (Rice) Finney, and sister of Charles G. Finney, the evangelist, in 1806, and located in Henderson. Their children were Sabra, Emeline, William, Nancy M., Warner, Marcus, George G., Harriet A., and Helen M. Mr. Whitney was a prosperous farmer, and after spending nearly half a century in Henderson died in 1854, respected by all. His wife Sally, died in 1852.
Horace Wilder, a native of New England, married Dulcina Howe, and settled in Rodman, about 1825. Of his children, George H. and Solon are proprietors of the Crowner House, in Watertown; Nathaniel C., died in 1844, aged four years; Christopher C., was born in 1833, was a painter by trade, and died in 1872. The latter married Emeline, daughter of Theophilus and Julia (Knapp) Ivory, of Henderson, in 1859, and they had two sons and two daughters, viz.: Herbert A., Arthur T., and Dora Edith and Flora Eva (twins). Dora E. was educated at Union Academy and is a school teacher, and Flora E. is a dressmaker. Mr. Wilder enlisted in the Union army and served as a musician in the 24th (Oswego) Regt. After his return from the war he sailed on the lakes for several years. Arthur T. Wilder inherited the genial manners and kindly disposition of his father. After leaving home he engaged with his uncles as clerk in the Crowner House, Watertown. In 1888 he married Claire Belle, daughter of V. W. and Harriet (Everett) Smilley, and died in 1889, his funeral taking place just seven weeks after his wedding-day. Mrs. C. C. Wilder and her surviving children reside on the homestead in this town.
Return to Child's Jefferson County Gazetteer
Return to Town of Henderson
Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page