CHILD'S GAZETTEER OF JEFFERSON COUNTY
TOWN OF ORLEANS


The following family group descriptions are adapted from Hamilton Child's "Gazetteer of Jefferson County, N.Y.", published in 1890. The families are arranged alphabetically by township, and wherever possible, a link has been made to a Jefferson County Pioneer. We welcome any corrections and additions to the information presented.

This project has only been made possible through the efforts of several volunteers, directed by Shirley Farone, who has been a behind-the-scenes participant in this website from the very beginning. The original idea came from Sharon Patchett, who is also giving her time to the project. Sisters Marcia Alary and Barbara Britt, both of whom have been volunteering on other projects for the website, are also working on this, and the newest volunteer, Gary Roe, was one of the first to get his work in. We are grateful to each of them for making this material so easily available.

FAMILY SKETCHES

Note: In this file, the highlighted name clicks will take you to the pioneer group sheet associated with the name.

Thomas H. Anthony was born in the town of Le Ray, and in 1837 located with his father in Pamelia. In 1873 he married Alice H., daughter of George Brady, of Canada, by whom he had two children, Anna M. and Thomas G. Mr. Anthony suffered reverses in business and removed to the West. Mrs. Anthony remained here, and for several years has successfully fought life's battles alone. She studied medicine and attended the Eclectic Collge of Physicians in New York city, and is now a practicing physician in the town of Orleans.

George Baltz was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, in 1802, and about 1840 immigrated to this country, subsequently locating in the town of Orleans. He married three times. His first wife was Mary Hawes, by whom he had six children, viz.: George, Andrew, Maria, Margaret, Louisa, and Elizabeth. By his second wife, a Miss Keeffer, he had one son, Luther. For his third wife he married Agnes Happ, of Le Ray, by whom he has had eight children, two of whom are deceased and six are living, viz.: George, Fred W., Barbara, Laura, Henry, and John B. Fred W. Baltz attended the public schools until he was 12 years old. At the age of 15 years he enlisted in the Union army and served until the close of the war. For 16 years he was a sailor on the lakes. In 1870 he married Esther, daughter of James Spalsbury, of Alexandria, and they have had two children, a son, George H., and a daughter, Nellie A. The son died at the age of four years. Mr. Baltz is an enterprising farmer in this town. John B. Baltz, youngest son of George, attended school until he was 16 years of age. He worked at farming, learned the carpenters' trade, and sailed on the lakes. At the age of 22 years he married Ida E., daughter of William Sargent, of Orleans Four Corners, in 1888, and they have one son, George W. He resides on road 16.

Philip Baltz immigrated from Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, with his father, in 1832, and located in the town of Orleans. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Valentine Daro, of Clayton, and they have had six children, viz.: Andrew P., Elizabeth, George F., August F., and Mary, the latter deceased, and one who died in infancy. George F. attended school and worked on the farm until he was 18 years old. March 30, 1871, at the age of 28 years, he married Mary Haas, of Clayton, and they have three children--Ida E., Albert G., and Chester A.

James Barton was born in County Fermanaugh, Ireland, where he married Mary Ann Coventry. In 1855 he immigrated to this country and located in the town of Alexandria, his wife and children following in 1860. His children were Alexander, John, William, Edward, Thomas, and Mary. Edward, two years after his arrival here, enlisted in the war for the defense of the Union, and served three years, when he returned to Alexandria and resumed the occupation of farming. In 1865 he married Martha E., daughter of William Caris, of Alexandria, and they have had five children, viz.: William E., Charles R., James C., Freddie W., and Blanch M. William E., their oldest son, died in 1888.

John N. Beardsley, youngest son of E. P. Beardsley, was born in Kent, Litchfield County, Conn., in 1807, and was one of seven children. When he was four years of age his parents removed to Winfield, Herkimer County, where the family remained about 10 years. In June, 1822, they located in this town, where the present village of Omar now is. On their way to their new home they stopped one night at La Fargeville, at the log hotel then owned by Dr. Andrews. The present Getman House at LaFargeville occupies the site of the old log hostelry. Dr. Andrews also owned a grist-mill of primitive style. It was said by a Watertown lawyer that he called at the mill, which was running full speed, but he saw no meal coming from the spout. He very solemnly averred that upon examining he found a mouse in the spout eating the meal as fast as it was ground. John N. Beardsley helped to build the first saw-mill and dam on Mullet Creek, about two miles from Fisher's Landing. He remained with his father eight years, after which he lived successively at Little Falls and Frankfort, Herkimer County, Rossie, St. Lawrence County, and Philadelphia, in this county, and May 17, 1842, he came to La Fargeville and engaged in the hardware business for two years. For seven seasons he sold lightning rods for H. H. Babcock & Co., of Watertown. He was also agent for the Agricultural Insurance Co., of Watertown, for 13 years. He married Lucy Bucklin, of Little Falls, and they have had seven children, viz.: Martha (Mrs. W. W. Tucker), of Watertown; Sarah, wife of H. W. Bennett, a dental surgeon, of Nantes, France; Sophia J., wife of Dr. C. M. Wilkie, of Paris, France; Mary E., David W., and Homer W., deceased; and Andrew B. The latter married Grace Richard, of Chicago, formerly of Richfield Springs, Otsego County, and is one of the prosperous merchants of La Fargeville. The wife of John N. Beardsley is deceased, and he resides with his son, Andrew B., in this town, aged 81 years.

Alfred Beckwith was born near New London, Conn., in 1811. He married Armina Wood, of Gouverneur, St. Lawrence County, and they had seven children, four of whom survive, viz.: Ann, Hiram, Harriet, and Orlo. Hiram received a good common school education and taught school about 10 terms. At the age of 23 years he married Dora L., daughter of Almarin Buskirk, of Clayton, and they have three children, viz.: Earl H., Edith M., and Grace J. Mr. Beckwith has resided on road 27, in this town, for 16 years. He now owns the D. D. Calvin farm, about one mile north of La Fargeville.

Hon. Russell B. Biddlecom, son of Charles and Rhoda Biddlecom, was born in Deerfield, Oneida County, March 19, 1822. Upon the death of his father, in 1829, he went to live with an elder brother, and in 1835 he immigrated to this town, where he has since resided, with the exception of during the years 1857-1860, when he held the office of county clerk and resided in Watertown. He received a good common school education, with the addition of three months at Belleville Academy. His school days were alternated with work on his brother's farm. Commencing at the age of 18 he taught school for about 12 years. In 1844, in recognition of his qualifications as a teacher, he was elected town superintendent of common schools, which position he filled acceptably for eight years. In 1849 he was elected justice of the peace and served until 1857. He was appointed colonel by Governor Morgan, and assisted in organizing artillery companies in Lewis and Jefferson counties, and during the term of service nearly 2,400 men were enlisted and sent to the front, comprising 16 companies, which were formed into heavy artillery regiments. He served at the front one year, and was discharged for disability. In 1865 he reprsented the Third Assembly district in the state legislature, and the Second Assembly district in the same body in 1866. In 1865, he was elected supervisor, and continued in office five years. In politics Mr. Biddlecom was a Whig until 1855, when he became a Republican and assisted in organizing the Republican party in Jefferson County, for the success of which party he has since given his best efforts. In 1870 Mr. Biddlecom became interested in a company for building the Theresa & Clayton Railroad, of which he was elected a director, and was appointed superintendent, secretary, and treasurer, which positions he held until the road was consolidated with the Utica & Black River Railroad Co. The town of Orleans and Clayton were bonded to build the road, the former for $80,000 and the latter for $100,000. Mr. Biddlecom obtained the consent of the taxpayers of the town of Orleans to its bonding, although violently opposed by Cornelius Burt, Albion A. Hughes, William B. Irwin, and many others, who afterwards appeared in the County Court and contested the appointment of railroad commissioners. After a hearing before Judge Sawyer he appointed commissioners to issue the bonds. The case was brought by certiorari to the Supreme Court of the state, in which the judgment of the County Court was sustained. On appeal to the Court of Appeals the judgment of the County Court appointing commissioners was reversed. Intermediate the decision of the Supreme Court and the Court of Appeals, Mr. Biddlecom, as treasurer of the railroad company, sold $10,000 worth of the bonds of the town of Orleans, which had been issued by the commissioners, and soon after the decision of the Court of Appeals he sold the remainder of the bonds, amount to $70,000. After the sale of the bonds Isaac Mitchell, as supervisor of the town of Orleans, commenced proceedings in the Supreme Court against Mr. Biddlecom and others to recover damages on account of the sale of the bonds, alleging that he, in bonding the town, building the railroad, and selling the bonds, had conspired with others to defraud the town. In 1884, after many years of expensive litigation, the suit was finally decided against the town, and Mr. Biddlecom fully exonerated from all charges of fraud and conspiracy, and his official acts in behalf of the railroad declared valid. The railroad, in its value and usefulness, having surpassed the expectations of its most sanguine friends, all opposition has ceased, and Mr. Biddlecom is now universally acknowledged one of the benefactors of the town.

Valentine Brightweaser, who was born in 1825, immigrated from Hesse, Germany to America, about 1832, with his grandparents and mother, his father having died previously. They first located in this town on road 40, remaining here about a year and a half, when they removed to road 54, near Orleans Four Corners, where Mr. Brightweaser and his mother owned 83 acres. The opportunities for education in these early days were very limited, there being but one small log school-house in this vicinity. In 1856 Mr. Brightweaser, at the age of 31 years, married Catharine Otis, of Hesse, Germany, six weeks after her arrival in this country. They had four children, namely: Christina (Mrs. W. B. Fransburg), of La Fargeville; Mary A. (Mrs. O. E. Tallman), of Philadelphia; George J. and Libbie, who reside on the homestead. Mrs. Brightweaser died in 1881, aged 48 years. He married, second, Mrs. E. Timmerman (Fults). He now occupies a new residence near the old homestead.

William Caris was born in Yorkshire, England, whence he immigrated to this country about 1833, and located in the city of Syracuse, where he followed the occupation of butcher. About 1835 he was married to Harriet Hodaker, formerly of Somersetshire, England, and they have had children as follows: Jane A., John W., William and Martha. William served in the 94th N. Y. Inf., and was killed in the second battle of Bull Run. John W. was born near Syracuse, April 20, 1839, and was educated in the common schools of Ogden, Monroe County. In January, 1861, he removed to the town of Alexandria, in this county, where he was engaged in farming until the breaking out of the Rebellion. August 18, 1861, he enlisted in Co. K, 10th N. Y. H. A., and served until the close of the war. In 1867 he married Helen A., daughter of Elias Coon, of this town, and they have had two sons and two daughters, viz.: Hattie M., Fred E., Ferd De E., and Altha V., all of whom survive except Fred E., who died in infancy.

Byron Carter was born in this town, near De La Farge Corners, one mile south of La Fargeville. He married Clarissa Button, of Omar village, and they have had seven children, five of whom are living, namely: Charles M., Minnie B., Eva M., Effie C., and Floyd L. Charles M. received a common school education, and worked upon the farm until he was 16 years of age, when he became a sailor on the lakes. At the age of 22 years he married Rita M., daughter of Ralph Gurnee, of Omar village, and they have one son, Fred C. Ralph Gurnee was born in Watertown, where he married Henrietta, daughter of Frederick Coffeen, and granddaughter of H. Coffeen, one of the first settlers in Watertown.

John Cook was born in Massachusetts in 1794. When 12 years of age he came with his parents to this county, and located in Ellisburgh. He married Abigail Littlefield, of Massachusetts, and they had 10 children, eight of whom attained adult age, viz.: Ashbel, Lovira, Willard L., John W., Cyrus L., Horace S., Malcom G., and Mariette. Mrs. Cook died in 1870, and her husband, in 1877. Their son, Willard L., was born July 30, 1823, in Ellisburgh, and attended the common schools until he was 17 years old, subsequently graduating from the commercial college at Syracuse. In the fall of 1861 he enlisted in the Union army and lost his right arm in the second battle of Bull Run. He has been assistant door-keeper in the Assembly at Albany. He has been twice married. By his first wife, Charlotte Fox, of Clayton, he had seven children, -- three sons and four daughters, -- four of whom survive, viz.: Oren M., Byron C., E. Clarence and Nettie L. Mrs. Cook died in 1876, and he married for his second wife, Mrs. Jane Taylor, widow of Benjamin B. Taylor, and they reside at Fisher's Landing. Benjamin B. Taylor served in the civil war, and was shot by a sharpshooter just before the close of the last battle before Petersburg, Va.

George Coon came from Otsego County to Jefferson County at an early date, and finally located on road 17, in the town of Orleans. Elias Coon, son of George, married Mary Ann, daughter of George Hawn, and they have had five children, one of whom died in infancy, and four survive, viz.: Ellen A., Edgar A., Nantie A., and Elton E. The latter, at the age of 21 years, graduated from Hungerford Collegiate Institute, of Adams, and was a cadet at West Point Military Academy for one year. He is well fitted for his chosen profession of teaching.

Hiram Dunn was born near Rossie, St. Lawrence County. He was a carpenter by trade, and received a common school education. Hr married Huldah Bishop, of Antwerp, by whom he had eight children, as follows: Michael, Zophia, Alonson, William H., Buell, Hiram, Adelia, and Charles. Michael Dunn attended the common schools, and did pioneer work until he arrived at the age of 18 years. He worked at farming for about nine years, when he enlisted in the late war and served three years, until its close. Soon after his return he married Mary Higgins, by whom he has one child, Voluta M.

Henry Eager was born in Brattleboro, Vt., in 1799, and at the age of 27 years located in Gouverneur. In 1828 he maried Melissa, daughter of John Ayers, of Johnstown, Fulton County, and they had five sons and three daughters, born as follows, viz.: Zina, in 1829; Dianthia, in 1830; Sophronia, in 1832; Mary A., in 1838; George, March 13, 1839; James H., in 1841; William H., in 1848; and Emerson, in 1847. Dianthia and Sophronia are deceased. George worked on the farm and attended the common schools and Gouverneur Academy until he was 22 years old. In 1863, at the age of 25 years, he married Hattie, daughter of Jeremiah Van Ness, of Spragueville, St. Lawrence County, and they have had five children, viz.: Clinton G. (died in 1884), Sophronia M., Emory F., Guy L., and Don W. Mr. Eager is a farmer and resides on Wells Island, near Thousand Island Park.

George Eckert immigrated from Hesse- Darmstadt, Germany, and located in New York city, subsequently removing to this town, where he married, in 1851, Eunice Goodrich, by whom he had one son, Elwin G. Elwin G. Eckert was educated in the common schools and at Adams Collegiate Institute. At the age of 32 years he married Martha Schollenburg, and they have three children- -George B., E. Harold, and a daughter.

Samuel J. Ellis was born in Washington County, where he married Miss Durkee, by whom he had five children, only two of whom are living, viz.: Halsey and Harriet. Halsey came with his father to this town in 1825, and located in La Fargeville when he was seven years old. He attended school winters and worked at the carpenters' trade summers, until he was 18 years old. At the age of 22 years he married Sylvia, daughter of David Graves, of Orleans, and they have had nine children, eight of whom survive, viz.: Helen F., James M., Alphonzo D., Edwin A. Byron H., Herbert F., Harriet S., and Charles H. Harriet S. married Brayton E. Avery, and resides at Stones Mills, in this town.

Peter Emmett, grandfather of Gordon Emmett, participated in the battle near Rouse's Point, on Lake Champlain. Richard Lombard, the maternal grandfather of Gordon Emmett, served in the War of 1812, and was in Portland, Me., during the engagement of the American brig Enterprise with the English brig Boxer, in which both captains were killed, and the British vessel surrendered to the American. In 1844 Peter Emmett married Catharine Lombard, and they have had five children, two of whom died in infancy, and three survive, namely; Arriett E., Gordon, and Henry. Gordon attended the common schools until 16 years of age. He then enlisted in the Union army, and while en route with his regiment from Norfolk, Va., in Newburn [sic], N. C., was wounded in the wrist, captured, and sent to Columbia State Prison, from which place he was removed to Florence, S. C., and when Sherman was in the vicinity on his famous march to the sea he was paroled. August 8, 1867, when 19 years of age, he married Helen, daughter of Chester Morrey, of Euphrata, Fulton County, and they have had five children, four of whom survive, namely: Reita, Willie, Claude, and Carl. Reita married John Nunn, of Wells Island, and now resides at Great Bend.

Lawrence Fetterly, a farmer, was born in Herkimer County. He was of Dutch descent, and his ancestors were well represented in the Revolutionary war and War of 1812. He married Margaret Fox, of Herkimer County, and they had 12 children, eight of whom survive, two of whom, Franklin and Martin V., reside in the town of Orleans, where they are engaged in farming. Franklin was born in Clayton, and was educated in the common schools. At the age of 26 years he married Mary, daughter of John Cook, of this town, on February 9, 1875, and they have three sons and one daughter, viz.: Frank H., Ralph E., Gracie I., and Glen C. Martin V. Fetterly was also born in Clayton. January 1, 1887, when 26 years of age, he married Emma, daughter of James Clyde, of Alexandria. Mr. Clyde served in the War of 1812. F. & M. V. Fetterly are in company on a farm on road 11, near Fisher's Landing.

John Ford, at an early day, came from Connecticut and located in Eaton, Madison County, N. Y. He married Lucy Rich, and they had seven children--five sons and two daughters. One son, Rev. Lewis T. Ford, was born in Eaton, Madison County, in 1809, and was educated at Madison University. He married, in 1835, Arminda, daughter of Deacon and Jesse Stetson, of Cooperstown, and they had six children, two of whom died in infancy, and four survive, viz.: Wayland F., Marie E., William G., and Charles H. Marie E. married Byron J. Strough, of La Fargeville. Wayland F. was born in La Fargeville, June 26, 1838. He was educated at Orleans Academy and Madison University, and in the fall of 1859 began the study of the law with E. R. Keene, of Theresa. In 1861 he was admitted to the bar, and began practice at La Fargeville in April, of that year, continuing until October, when he enlisted in Co. B, 94th N. Y. Vol. Inf. In March, 1863, his regiment was consolidated with the 105th N. Y. Inf. March 16, 1862, he was promoted to second lieutenant, Co. E, of the former regiment, and was discharged by reason of consolidation. May l, 1863, he re-renlisted in Co. M, 20th N. Y. Cav., was promoted to first lieutenant, Co. D, September 4, 1863; captain, Co. D, October 13, 1863; discharged with the regiment, July 31, 1865, having served three years and nine months. After the close of the war he resumed practice of the law at La Fargeville. In 1866 he married Maria, daughter of Leonard Cline, of Three Mile Bay, and they have three children, viz.: Edith C., Lewis H., and W. Frederick. Mr. Ford has, by working assiduously for the interests of his clients, built up an extensive and remunerative law practice in this vicinity.

Samuel W. Gates was born in the town of Champion in 1816. In 1828 he removed with his father to Pamelia, where he attended the common schools and worked upon his father's farm until he attained his majority. In 1838 he removed to this town. He married Lavina, daughter of Jacob Zoller, and they have two sons and one daughter, viz.: Jacob S., Roswell W., and Ella E. Mrs. Gates was born in 1817. Roswell W. Gates attended the district schools until he attained the age of 16 years. He then entered the Brownville High School, remaining two terms, and afterwards the Hungerford Collegiate Institute, of Adams, also remaining here two terms, when he returned to the farm on road 51, in this town. In 1868 he married Eliza A., daughter of David Zerau, of Orleans, and they have four daughters and one son, namely: Carrie E., Bertha L., Editha L., Samuel J., and Ella F.

Bailey Goodrich was born in Weathersfield, Conn., whence his parents removed with him to Sandisfield, Mass., when he was quite young. He was educated in the common schools, and at the age of 22 years married Eunice Smith, of Sandisfield, by whom he had four sons and four daughters, viz.: Theodotia, Ruel, Columbus, Lydia, Clarence, Eunice, Polly, and Nelson. He removed from Massachusetts, first, to Turin, Lewis County, then to Denmark, in the same county, and in 1819 located in Orleans. Nelson Goodrich was born in Denmark in 1816. He was educated in the common schools, with three terms in High schools in different places. In 1838, at the age of 22 years, he married Catharine Snell, of Theresa, and they have six sons and two daughters, viz.: Orville, George, Elizabeth, Cass, Worth, Lorenzo and Alonzo (twins), and Mary. Mr. and Mrs. Goodrich have completed nearly 50 years of wedded life together.

John Gray, born in Herkimer County, in 1807, married, first, Jemima Clock, by whom he had three sons, viz.: Nelson, Adam, and Chauncey. For his second wife he married Margaret Jeffers, and they had four children, one who died in infancy, and three survive, viz.: George, Mary E., and Julia. Adam Gray, mentioned above, was educated at the common schools, and worked upon his father's farm until he attained his majority. He married Sally, daughter of Jacob Fults, of Theresa, and they have had two children, viz.: Alice, who died at the age of 16 years, and Justin. The latter, a farmer, married Carrie, daughter of George H. Timmerman, of this town, in 1886, and now occupies the old homestead farm, part of which has been in possession of the family for 65 years.

George L. Gurnee was born in the town of Watertown, and is now residing in the city of that name. In 1853 he married Lydia Bartholomew, of Brownville, and they have had six sons and one daughter, namely: Warren B., Herbert W., George A., Charles K., Frank D., Ida C., and Eugene R. George A. died at the age of 23 years. Frank D. attended High school in Watertown until he attained the age of 16 years. He then attended select school for two winters, after which he did farm work. February 4, 1886, he married Minnie L., daughter of Marcus W. Nellis, of Orleans, and they reside in this town on road 64.

Milton Harman was born in Pawlet, Rutland County, Vermont, in 1798, whence he removed, in 1816, to Oswego. In politics he was a Whig, and his religious principles were represented by the Episcopal Church. He held a commission from Governor Clinton in the War of 1812. He died February 16, 1885, aged 87 years. When about 20 years old he married Lucretia Wales, and they had four sons and four daughters, three sons of whom survive, namely: Herbert M., George W., and Henry A. The latter received a good practical education, and in 1862, at the age of 18 years, he enlisted in Co. A, 12th N. Y. Cav., was captured at Plymouth, N. C., April 20, 1864, and sent to Andersonville prison, thence to Millen, Savannah, Blackshire, and Thomasville, in Georgia, and thence to Charleston, S. C., Selma, Ala., and Meridan, Miss., and was paroled near Big Black River, near Vicksburg, March 31, 1865. After the war closed he lived in Michigan four years. In 1867 he married Elizabeth W. Rottiers, of La Fargeville, only daughter of John Rottiers, and they have two children, John N. and Eugene P. Mr. Harman recently removed to Watertown city.

Archibald Hasner, by occupation a farmer, was born in the town of Alexandria. At the age of 28 years he married Minerva Sweet, of Alexandria, and they had two sons and two daughters, viz.: Mary, George, Dolly, and Edward C. The latter was educated in the common schools, and worked on his father's farm until he attained his majority. He married May Dillon, of Gananoque, Canada, and they now reside on road 50, in this town.

Henry Heyl was born near Frankfort-on-the- Main, Germany, in 1805. At the age of 26 years he immigrated to America and located near Le Raysville, in this county, subsequently removing to La Fargeville, where he married Kate M. Heldt, a native of Germany. They had seven children, viz.: Philip, George, Kate M., Henry, Wendel J., Maria R., and H. Ettie. Maria R. died at the age of 15 years. George Heyl worked on the farm summers and attended school winters until he was 18 years of age. He then removed to Clayton and resided there six years. In 1864, at the age of 26 years, he married Ruah H., daughter of John A. Snell, of La Fargeville, and they have two sons, William H. and Frank A., and reside on the homestead of John A. Snell.

Dr. John Hill came from England to the United States about 1833. He studied medicine and finished his course in New York city. He came to Jefferson County about 1835 or '36, residing for a time in Antwerp, and subsequently in Watertown. He then located in La Fargeville, where he was in practice 12 years, and was well known as a physician of high standing. He died in 1856. He married Sally, daughter of Joel Mix, of Champion. His widow survives, and is now Mrs. Sally Cutler, and resides in the town of Champion.

Samuel Holloway, who served in the War of 1812, was born near Plattsburgh, N. Y., in 1786. He maried Lucy Baker, who was born July 17, 1793. They had born to them 15 children, 14 of whom survive, namely: Marinda, William, Chloe, Nathan, Fanny, Phebe, Samuel, Lucy, Caroline, Lyda, Martha and Mary (twins), Daniel, and Stephen. Nathan Holloway was born in Hounsfield, December 20, 1817. He attended the common schools and worked on his father's farm until he attained his majority. He has been thrice married. By his first wife, Cynthia, daughter of Angell Lee, of Adams, he had one daughter, Malissa (Mrs. Alphonzo D. Case). His second wife was Hannah, daughter of Gideon Gifford, of Adams, and they had a son, Hermon M., who married Martha Reed, of this town, by whom he has two children, Glen C. and Grace H. For his third wife he married Mrs. (Steemburg) Spaulding, of Theresa, with whom he now lives on the homestead, where he has resided since 1860. Mr. Holloway's second wife was drowned in the St. Lawrence River.

Alby P. Houghton was born in Vermont in 1809, and came to this county, locating in Alexandria, when he was a young man. He married Fidelia Arnold, of Lyme, by whom he has had five children, one son and one daughter who are deceased, and a son and two daughters survive, viz.: Caroline, Rosell, and Malinda. Rosell attended the public schools until he was 16 years of age, after which he worked at the carpenters' trade. In 1865 he married Eliza, daughter of Joseph Russell, of Alexandria, and they have had four children, viz.: Fidelia, George A., Fredie N., and Edson J. Fidelia died at the age of eight years. Mr. Houghton served three years in the late war and was honorably discharged. He resides with his family in this town on road 12, near the village of Omar.

Albion A. Hughes was born in Oneida County in 1826. When seven years of age his parents removed to this town and located on road 64, where his descendants of the third and fourth generation now reside. He attended school winters and worked on the farm summers, until he was 18 years old, after which he worked for his father by the month until he attained the age of 25. January 26, 1851, he married Pamelia A. Moody, of Stone Mills, by whom he had four children, viz.: Estella I. (Mrs. Irvin W. Swift), of Herkimer County; Adelene (Mrs. Frank D. Marshall), of Dawes County, Neb.; Albion A.; and John D. The latter married Carrie A., daughter of Adolphus Dickinson, of La Fargeville, in 1884, and they have one son, Fred A. Mr. Hughes is a justice of the peace.

Samuel R. Hunter married Jane Bradshaw, of Thurlow, Canada West, and now resides in the town of Henderson, in this county. The fruit of this union was five sons, viz.: Arthur, Henry, Dwight, Noah, and George A., the last named of whom is the only survivor. George A. Hunter received a common school education in his youth, and in 1878 came to this town and located at Fisher's Landing, where he still resides. Mr. Hunter is a reliable guide and oarsman, and camp cook. He married, first, Celia A. Murphy, January 29, 1879, by whom he had two children, one of whom died in infancy, and a son, Hartley A., survives. Mrs. Hunter died in 1884. In 1885 Mr. Hunter married Lydia A., daughter of Capt. Edmund M. Robbins, of Fisher's Landing, by whom he has one son, Orvis H.

Jacob Jenkins, Jr., was born in the Mohawk valley in 1821, whence he removed to this county and first located at Jenkins Corners, in the town of Pamelia. In 1843 he married Eva Roof, of Pamelia, by whom he has had three sons and one daughter, viz.: Betsey Ann, Willard, Walter, and Hermon C. Willard Jenkins attended the district schools and obtained a good practical education. He married, at the age of 20 years, Lenora, daughter of Francis Freeman, of Orleans, and they have had three children, viz.: Charley and Eva, who died young, and Ella, who survives. The latter is a teacher, and resides in this town with her parents.

Thomas Joles removed from Herkimer County to Point Peninsula, in the town of Lyme, and subsequently to Blind Bay, on the St. Lawrence. He married Livonia Collins, and they have had 13 children, five of whom survive, namely: Alvah, Julius, Marion, William A., and Levi. William A. was educated in the common schools. He worked at farming and lumbering until he attained the age of 26 years, when he enlisted in the Union army and served nearly three years. In 1868 he married Laura, daughter of George Baltz, of this town, and they have one son and four daughters, viz.: Anges M. (Mrs. James W. Sargent), Lauraett, Leela M., Lennie N., and Clarence W. The family now resides at Stone Mills.

William Kernehan was born in Belfast, Ireland, in 1833. He immigrated to the United States, where he remained four years, subsequently removing to Canada. At the age of 20 years he married Eliza Rainy, of Prescott, Canada, and they have had four sons and six daughters, of whom John J., at the age of 17 years, located in the village of La Fargeville, in this town. When 22 years old he married Ella C., daughter of Oliver Bergen, and they have two sons, William G. and Charles O., and reside on road 47.

William Kickley was born in Portland, Canada, where he married Clara Simons, by whom he had three sons and two daughters, viz.: Henry, Shirley, Joseph, Sophia, and Clara. Upon the death of his first wife he married Jane Ralph, by whom he had no children. Shirley Kickley enlisted in Co. B, 6th N. Y. Cavalry, December 30, 1864, and served until the close of the war. In 1870 he married Josephine Fultz, of this town, and they have two children, Maud E. and Melvin S. Mr. Kickley is a farmer on road 45, in this town.

Jacob A. Klock, a native of Herkimer County, removed to this town in 1846 and located near Orleans Four Corners. He reared a family of ten children, viz.: Levi, Katie, Samuel, Adam, George, Harvey, Martha A., Elizabeth, Elijah, and Nancy. Adam worked on his father's farm until he attained his majority. He married Martha A. Clock, of Theresa, and they have two sons, viz.: Henry D. and Jacob W. Henry D. Klock attended the public schools until he was 17 years old. At the age of 21 years he married Maggie Hagan, of Alexandria, and they have one son, Elmer Edson. He resides on the homestead farm settled by his grandfather over 50 years ago.

Daniel Ladd, a native of Caintown, Canada, married Maria, daughter of Lyman Stearns, about 1848, and they have had four children, three of whom survive, namely: Almeda, Dudley M., and Lyman D. The latter was born in Theresa, September 15, 1861. When 19 years old he married Mary, daughter of Raphael Shorlett, of Alexandria, by whom he has had four childrn, two of whom died in infancy, and two, Fred E. and Eva B., survive. They have resided in the village of La Fargeville until their removal to Theresa in 1889.

Henry Laflur, at the age of seven years, removed with his father from Canada to this county, and located in the town of Clayton, in 1840. In 1856 he married Diana Robbins, of Clayton, and they had two sons and two daughters, one of whom, Lucy, died at the age of 18 years, and three survive, viz.: Henry W., Mary E., and Charles. Henry W. married Esther Coleman, of Lowville, Lewis County, and they have had two children, one of whom died in infancy. Mr. Laflur is a steamboat engineer, which business he has followed for nearly 10 years. Henry Laflur, Sr., Henry W., and Charles have their homes on Wells Island, below Thousand Island Park.

Dennis La Graves was born near Paris, France, August 15, 1807. When about 15 years of age he immigrated with his father to Canada, locating near Montreal, where he remained but a short time, finally locating in this town. When 35 years of age he married Rachel, daughter of Killip Arnold, by whom he had six children equally divided as to sex, namely: Mary J., Sarah A., George W., Charles J., Caroline D., and Moses D. George W. attended the common schools until he arrived at the age of 16 years, when he enlisted in the Union army and served three years, until the close of the war. In 1870 he married Catherine Murphy, of this town, and they have had five children, viz.: Judson C., deceased, Carrie A., George W., May, and Grace M. Mr. La Graves resides in this town on road 51.

George Lamson married Lucinda, daughter of Ephraim Potter, who served seven years in the Revolutionary war. Luther Lamson, son of George, was born in 1810. His father died when he was quite young, and as a consequence his early advantages were limited. He was educated in the common schools with a short time at Belleville Academy. In 1832 he married Sally Bushnell, who was born in 1807. They had four children, viz.: Zerviah A., Mary M., Sarah, and George L. The latter married Alice A. Snyder in 1868, by whom he had two daughters, Sarah A., and May A. Mrs. Lamson died in 1887. Luther Lamson spent most of his life in the mercantile business in Lorraine and La Fargeville. He located in the latter place in 1849, and was in active business here for 26 years. He was supervisor of the town of Orleans for three years, in 1856, '57, and '58, and faithfully discharged his official duties. He died August 4, 1875, loved and respected by all who knew him. His children, Mary and George, and grandchildren, Sarah A. and May A., are his only surviving descendants.

William R. Larabee was born in Virgil, Cortland County, February 24, 1812, and when 12 years of age removed with his parents to this town and located in the village of La Fargeville, where he attended the public schools for a time. His father was a stone mason, which trade the son also learned early in life, and assisted in the building of the La Farge mansion and the stone house opposite, and also the Biddlecom residence in the village. When Mr. Larabee was 18 years old his father died, and the family was dependent upon the young man for support. In 1839 he married Caroline, daughter of Stephen Priest, and they have had 10 children, two of whom died in infancy, and eight survive, namely: Celestia A., Washington W., Sarah E., Lansing T., Daniel R., Almira C., Arvilla E., and Adda L. Sarah E. married John Schultz, of Plessis. Washington W., married Dolly Gillette, of Alexandria. Mr. Larabee resided on road 25 and in that vicinity for 56 years. He died in 1889.

J. Michael Lehr immigrated from Hesse- Darmstadt, Germany, to the United States, in 1832, and located in the town of Orleans, where he married Catharine Warner, by whom he had six dhildren, viz.: George, Henry, Jacob, Nicholas, John, and Mary. Jacob Lehr was born near Stone Mills, in this town, in 1856. At the age of 24 years he married Catharine, daughter of William Petrie, of this town, and they have two children, Alice and John. The latter married Nettie Beadell, of Watertown, and they have one son, Allen J.

Arthur McNickle, of Scotch descent, immigrated to Canada in 1830. In 1845 he married Catharine Langstaff, and they have had 11 children, seven of whom survive, viz.: Anne, Mary, Catharine, Arthur, William, Minnie, and George. The latter came to the United States in April, 1880, and in that month he married Dell, daughter of Cornelius Bortnow, of Watertown, and they have four sons, viz.: Cornelius B., Ernest, George A., and Roy E.

George Meyers was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, in 1836, and in 1859 immigrated to this country and located in this town. In 1861 he enlisted in Co. B, 94th N. Y. Vols., served four years, and was principal musician in the regiment. In 1860 he married Isabel Hagen, of this town, and they have five children, viz.: Mary Jane, Belle, Loui (sic), Ebar M., and William H.

John Moore was born in Lower Canada, near Elizabethtown. He was twice married, first, to Mary Trickey, who bore him one son, Hiram P., and second, to Angeline Tumery, by whom he had 14 children. Hiram P. Moore came to this town with his grandmother in 1837, and located on Wells Island, where he assisted in clearing 1,000 acres of land, before he was 19 years of age. He married Esther E., daughter of Ebenezer Eddy, one of the early settlers in this town, and they had born to them 15 children, three of whom died in infancy, and 12 survive, namely: Horace W., Thomas T., William W., Hiram N., Charles M., Sylvester T., Marian M., Willard R., Clarence W., Elizabeth L., Minnie E., and Mertie. Mr. Moore has resided upon Wells Island longer than any other person now living here.

Martin Nugent and his wife, Mary (Hinds) Nugent, immigrated to the United States in 1851. They had three sons and three daughters, viz.: Nora, Edmund, Kate, Andrew, Maria, and John. Edmund was born in Cahar, County Clare, Ireland, in 1836. He also immigrated to the United Sates, in 1855. October 7, 1861, he enlisted in Co. H, 1st Lt. Art. N. Y. Vols., and was promoted from the ranks to sergeant. He participated in the following battles: Williamsburg, Bottom Bridge, Savage Station, Fair Oaks, White Oak Swamp, Malvern Hill, Mine Run, Laurel Hill, South Anna River, Spottsylvania Court House, Jericho Ford, Bethsada Church, Petersburg, Weldon Railroad, Poplar Grove Church, and Peeble's Farm. At the latter battle four of his cannoners were shot and his gunner severally (sic) wounded, which threw the greater portion of the work upon Mr. Nugent. He suffered severely from exhaustion in this battle, and near Alexandria, Va., was severely hurt about the back and shoulders by his horse falling upon him. He was discharged near Petersburg, Va., October 16, 1864. In the fall of 1883 he became a charter member of the Grand Army of the Republic, George W. Flower Post, No. 306, of Theresa, and is now a member in good standing. In 1867 he married Eleanor, daughter of the late John S. Graham, of Orleans Four Corners. In 1877 Mr. Nugent bought the Graham homestead, and in 1884 built a fine residence thereon.

William Nunn was born in the county of Norfolk, England, and at the age of 16 years immigrated to Canada. At the age of 21 years he married Minerva McDonald, and January 25, 1856, they came to the United States and located in this town, on Wells Island. They had born to them six sons and three daughters, five of whom survive, namely: Charles T., William U., Henry T., Joshua M., and Sarah A. William U. Nunn received a common school education and worked on the farm until he was 20 years of age. In 1864 he married Martha J., daughter of John Tyler, and they have had four children, a daughter who died in infancy, and three survive, viz.: Tracy H., Orlie G., and Mary A. Tracy H. married Lucy A. Calkins, by whom he has had two children, viz.: Leslie O., who died in infancy, and Nellie. John Tyler, father of Mrs. W. U. Nunn, was born in Connecticut in 1812. His parents removed to this town when he was in his infancy, and located at Stone Mills. In 1842 he married Martha Cobb, of Collins Landing. He died December 3, 1881. Charles T. Nunn, at the age of 22 years, married Mary C., daughter of John Tyler, and they have a son and a daughter, namely: John W., and Cora I. The latter married Leonard Kling, and they have one daughter, Ethel. John W. married Reita Emmett, of Wells Island.

William Payne was born at Deerfield Corners, near Utica. His father died when he was two years old, and he lived with his grandfather until he was 16, attending the common schools winters and working upon the farm summers. At the age of 17 years he removed to the town of Pamelia. When 22 years of age he married Emily, daughter of Alvin Herrick, of Le Ray, by whom he has had 11 children, namely: Saryette, Spencer, Almira, Edward, Adelbert, Frank, Fidelia, Lucina, Adeline, Alvin, and Josephine. The last five named are deceased. Spencer Payne lived at home and attended school until he arrived at the age of 17. At the age of 20 he married Fidelia, daughter of Abram Shimmel, of LeRay, and they had two sons, Herman and Clarence. For his second wife he married Mary Garner, of Orleans, in 1868, and they have one son, Elmer, and reside near the old homestead on road 55.

Solomon Pickard came from the Mohawk valley at an early day and settled with his father in the town of Le Ray, subsequently locating in this town in 1852. He married Phebe Shimmel, of this town, and they had 10 children, viz.: Willard W., Merick, Lyman, Asa, Amos A., Margaret S., Mary J., Delilah, Phebe A., and one who died in infancy. Lyman Pickard's school days were alternated with work on his father's farm until he was 19 years of age, when he enlisted in the Union army and served until the close of the war. His principal occupation since the war has been farming. January 1, 1871, he married Abbie A., daughter of G. W. Hill, of Clayton, and they have one son, Orrin S. He now lives on a farm in Pamelia.

Peter Pratt was born in Saybrook, Conn., in 1776. In 1805 he was married to Lucy Scovel, of Hartford, Conn;, the ceremony being performed at Perch River village, in the town of Brownville. He removed from Brownville to Orleans and was the second settler in the town, on a farm on road 67, now occupied by his grandson, Frank Graham. His children were Almira, Asa, Anna, Daniel, Hiram, Lewis, George S., and Lucy. The latter married Calvin D. Graham, by whom she has one son, Frank P. Mr. Graham had been previously married to Mary Munson, of Potsdam, by whom he had two children--James E., who died at the age of 19 years, and Ella, who married Moses Petrie. Frank P. Graham married Alice, daughter of Jacob Lehr, of this town. In 1856 Calvin D. Graham bought out the heirs of Peter, first settler on the homestead, and occupied the farm until 1887, when he removed to Watertown, where he erected a fine residence on State street.

Joseph Rasbach was born in Herkimer County in 1791, where he married Lena Stemler, who bore him six children, viz.: Catharine, Mary, John, Lena, Joseph, and Anna. Joseph, Jr., was born in the town of Manheim, Herkimer County, in 1827, and when he was eight years old his parents located in this town at Orleans Four Corners. He attended the common schools and worked on his father's farm until he was 18, and at the age of 21 years married Sally, daughter of John Van Bracklin, in March, 1849. This union was blessed with three sons and four daughters, viz.: Esther, Aaron, Emma, Hermon F., Jenna, Minna, and Joseph. Mr. Rasbach is a progressive farmer, and also an ordained minister of the Evangelical Lutheran Church, and a member of Frankein Evangelical Lutheran Synod. His son, Hermon, married a Miss Cuppernall, of Theresa, and his daughter, Jenna, married John Haskell, and now resides in Theresa. The grandfather of Joseph Rasbach served in the Revolutionary war, and was wounded in the face while fighting his country's battles. His grandmother was captured by the Indians and Tories, and detained at Montreal for a year and three months.

Nathaniel R. Reed was born in the town of Salem, Mass., in 1791. He married Elitha Sperry, of New Haven, Conn., and they had 13 children, nine of whom grew to adult age. Mr. Reed died in 1851. His son, Lewis E., had the advantages of good schools in Watertown and other places, and remained at home with his father until he attained his majority, after which he was apprenticed to the trade of carpenter and joiner, in the village of La Fargeville. After five years' residence here he married Alzina L., daughter of Benjamin B. Sheldon, and they have had five children, one of whom died in infancy, and four survive, viz.: Myra M., Fred S., Julia E., and Sarah R. Mrs. Sheldon, mother of Mrs. Reed, resides with her daughter at the advanced age of 86 years. Mrs. Reed's sister, Miss C. A. Sheldon, also resides here.

John Robbins located in the town of Clayton about 1835. He was twice married, first, to a Miss Avery, by whom he had eight children, and second, to Mary Earl, by whom he had nine children, viz.: Henry, Diana E., Margaret, John, Eldridge G., Hiram, Sarah, Charles, and Mary. Charles Robbins, when 24 years of age, married Caroline, daughter of William Kenison, of Clayton, and they have three sons, viz.: Robert W., George L., and Albert. Mr. Robbins resides on road 5-1/2, Thousand Island Park.

Oliver Rouse married Rachel Leam, of Brownville, by whom he had three children, viz.: Merick, Joseph, and Hannah. Mrs. Rouse died when her children were quite young, and Merick went from home and lived in various places until he arrived at the age of 10 years, when he made his home with his cousin, Alonzo Rouse, for two years, and afterwards with his uncle, William, for six years. At the age of about 25 years he married Jeannette S., daughter of David and Mary Zeran, of this town, and they have had five children, viz.: Elmer E., George C., Nina M., Cora M. (who died at the age of 16 years), and Francis E. (who died at the age of nearly seven years). Mr. Rouse resides in this town.

William Sargent was born in Newfield, Sussex County, England, in 1779. In 1821 he immigrated to the United States and located in the town of Hounsfield, in this county. He married Mary Foster, and in 1833 they removed to this town. They had born to them 14 children, seven of whom survive, viz.: William, Edmund, Eli T., Mary, Sarah, Dr. Edward L., and Benjamin F. Eli T. was born in Hounsfield in 1831. He attended the common schools until he was 16 years of age, and received a practical education. At the age of 21 years he married Maria L., daughter of Peter I. and Elizabeth Casler, of this town, in 1850, and they now reside at Orleans Four Corners. Benjamin F. is not married, and resides on road 31, corner 35. William Sargent married Elizabeth Walts, and they have seven children, viz.: Clark W., Mary M., Simeon W., Catharine M., John W., Viola N., and Ida E. Edmund Sargent, at the age of 21 years, in 1842, married Louisa, daughter of David Young, of Pamelia, and they have had six children, five of whom survive, viz.: William H., George L., Byron A., Eleanor T., and Orville. William H. married Emogene Marble, and resides in Michigan; George L. married Cornelia Smith, of Orleans. Byron A. married Eveline L. Tanner, also of Orleans; Eleanor F. married Benjamin Petrie, of Alexandria.

Ludwig Schaber was born in Langen, Hesse- Darmstadt, Germany, in 1809. In 1847 he immigrated to the United States and settled in the village of Redwood, in the town of Alexandria, and one year later located in this town and purchased his present home, where he has since resided. He married Anna M. Fink, in Hesse- Darmstadt, and they had seven children, four of whom are living, viz.: Valentine, Philip, George H., and Margaret E. The latter married William Spies, Jr., of Redwood. George H. attended the common schools, and worked on his father's farm until he attained his majority, and then worked by the month for his father for about 14 years. He married Celia A., adopted daughter of Lot Miller, of Theresa, and they had four children, viz.: Katie A. and Gertaude [sic] L., who died in infancy, and Anna Maria Laura and Ernest L., who survive. Mr. Schaber is a farmer.

Charles Sexton came from Lowville in 1818, and settled at Stone Mills. He married Abbey Butler, a relative of Gen. Benjamin F. Butler, and they had four sons and four daughters. Charles, Jr., was a prominent business man at Stone Mills, where he was a farmer and had a store and saw-mill. He subsequently removed to Janesville, Wis., and engaged in manufacturing. He married Nancy Boon, of Watertown, and their only son, Hanley, is in partnership with his father.

William Snyder was born in Newburg, Orange County, N. Y., in 1811. In 1833 he removed to Onondaga County, and in 1835 he married Rachel A. Tremper, by whom he had three sons and three daughters, of whom one son died in infancy, and those who attained maturity were John H., Mary E., William A., Margaret, and Alice A. The latter married George L. Lamson, and died in 1887. John H. Snyder attended the common schools until he was about 20 years old. He then learned the tinsmith trade, which he has since followed. In 1859, at the age of 24 years, he married Catharine E. Van Camp, of this town, by whom he has had three children, only one of whom, William H., survives. Mr. Snyder is engaged at his trade in La Fargeville.

Philip Sourwine was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, in 1802, and in 1830 immigrated to this country and located in New York city, where he married Mary Baldtuff, who bore him five children, three of whom survive, viz.: Mary E., George H., and Philip. After the death of Mr. Sourwine his widow removed with her children to the town of Clayton. George H. Sourwine, when about nine years of age, went to live with his uncle, with whom he remained until he was 18. He worked at farming for seven years thereafter, and at the age of 25 married Mary, daughter of Andrew Baltz, of Orleans, by whom he has had six children, one of whom died in infancy, Clara R., at the age of eight years, and four survive, viz.: Anna M., who resides in Chicago, Ill., Stella L., Charles A., and Eva M. The family resides on road 61, in this town.

Henry F. Timmerman was born in Manheim, Herkimer County, March 8, 1811, whence he removed to this town in 1834. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Peter Miller, and they had 10 children, viz.: Charlotte, Fidelia, Mary M., Anson and Byanse (twins), George H., Grandison C., Cornelius and Cornelia (twins), and one who died in infancy. Grandison C. received a common school education, and worked on the farm until he attained his majority. He also engaged in cheesemaking for about two years. In 1869 he married Maria A., daughter of William Hilliker, of Dexter village, in Brownville. November 10, 1885, Mr. Timmerman was appointed postmaster of Orleans Four Corners. The father of Mrs. Timmerman came to this country from Wiltshire, England, in 1837. Mr. Timmerman is of German descent.

William H. Timmerman was born in Manheim, Herkimer County, in 1823. In 1837 his parents removed to this county, first locating in the town of Pamelia, and subsequently in the town of Orleans, on road 45. In 1852 he married Rosina, daughter of Michael Fults, of this town, and they had three children, viz.: Morton W., Rose E., and Michael F. The latter was born November 2, 1860. His school days were alternated with work on his father's farm until he attained the age of 19 years. He married Allie, daughter of Andrew Shumaker, of Young, Onondaga County, and they have one daughter, Rosina E., born May 15, 1887. William H. Timmerman died in 1877, aged 54 years. He occupied the farm now owned by Michael F. about 40 years.

George Tucker was born in Rodman in 1824. When he was 12 years of age his father removed to this town and located about one and a half miles north of La Fargeville, on road 27. George attended school winters and worked on the farm summers until he attained his majority. At the age of 24 years he married Betsey E., daughter of Felton Smith, and they had two daughters (twins) and two sons, one daughter and two sons of whom survive, namely: Elwin G., Ettie, and Orrin W. Ettie married Albert M. Putnam, of Clayton, and now resides in the village of La Fargeville. Elwin G., at the age of 29 years, married Anna M., daughter of George Dorr. He resides in the village of La Fargeville, and owns a farm on road 26. O. W. is a teacher of instrumental music and lives with his father, George.

Henry D. Van Camp was born in Dutchtown, Montgomery County, October 3, 1794. May 25, 1816, he married Katie Abeel, of Fort Plain, Montgomery County, by whom he had five sons and five daughters, the survivors being as follows: Belinda (Mrs. Eli Gillett), of Clayton; Jacob, who married Mary Howell, of Clayton; Maria (Mrs. Jacob Wagoner), of Alexandria; William, who married Harriet Winnie, of Fort Plain; and Henry. The latter was born in the town of Clayton, where he attended the public schools until he arrived at the age of 17 years, at which time his father died, and he assisted his mother in running the farm. At the age of 21 years he married Mary E. Snyder, of Orleans, in 1860, and they have had five sons and four daughters, of whom Nellie A., died in infancy, and eight survive, as follows: George, born in 1861; Ella M., 1862; Ida C, 1864; Cornelius H., 1868; Fred W., 1870; Mary E., 1873; Eugene J., 1876; and Hugh W., 1879. Mr. Van Camp is a prosperous farmer on Wells Island, near the head of the Lake of the Isles.

John Waterson was born in Ireland, in 1816, where, at the age of 21 years, he married Susanna Carr, by whom he had six sons and two daughters, of whom William was drowned near Clayton. Isaac died at the age of 23 years, and four survive, viz.: John, Jr., James, Jane, and William. Mr. Waterson located in Canada in 1841, whence, in 1844, he removed to Wells Island, where he now resides.

Lyman N. Waugh was born in Oneida County in 1814. He married, first, Esther B. Sayers, by whom he had one daughter, Phebe M. Mrs. Waugh died in 1840, and in 1845 he married Miss Emily Stevens, of Philipsville, Canada, and they had eight children, six of whom survive, namely: Julia A., Emily A., Henrietta M., Lyman G., Amy L., and Leonard A. Henrietta M. married Andrew Fort, of Stone Mills, and they have had two children--a daughter who died in infancy, and a son who survives, viz.: Chester G. Leonard A. Waugh resides in Stone Mills with his sister, Mrs. Fort.

Charles Wilder was born in the town of Hounsfield, where he married Harriet Marsh, by whom he had seven children, namely: George D., James E., Charles B., Phinanda, Edwin, Harriet (who died in infancy), and Maryett. George D. worked upon the farm and attended school until he was 18 years of age, when he enlisted in the army for the defense of the Union, and served till the close of the war. In 1865 he married Mary A., daughter of George P. Marsh, of Orleans, by whom he has had six children, five of whom survive, viz.: Sarah H., Frank C., Moses H., Viola M., and Elmer B.

Alexander Wilson was born in County Armagh, Ireland, January 1, 1835. At the age of 13 years he immigrated with his mother to this country and located in the village of Clayton. When 16 years of age he taught school, and at the age of 17 married Rachel Cuppernall, of this town, who died in 1868. They had three sons and two daughters, viz.: Charles, Francelia, Jane, James G., and Alexander. Charles F. was drowned in Eel Bay, aged 25 years. In 1869 he married for his second wife Mrs. (Cuppernall) Egleston, and they had two sons, John and Harvey. She died, and in 1882 Mr. Wilson married Mrs. Mary Jane (Stolliker) Kirk, daughter of James Stolliker, of Pittsburg, Canada, and they have two sons, Parkhurst and George.


Return to Child's Jefferson County Gazetteer

Return to Town of Orleans



Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project

If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.


Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page

Top