The following family group descriptions are adapted from Hamilton Child's "Gazetteer of Jefferson County, N.Y.", published in 1890. The families are arranged alphabetically by township, and wherever possible, a link has been made to a Jefferson County Pioneer. We welcome any corrections and additions to the information presented.
This project has only been made possible through the efforts of several volunteers, directed by Shirley Farone, who has been a behind-the-scenes participant in this website from the very beginning. The original idea came from Sharon Patchett, who is also giving her time to the project. Sisters Marcia Alary and Barbara Britt, both of whom have been volunteering on other projects for the website, are also working on this. Gary Roe was one of the first to get his work in. We are grateful to each of them for making this material so easily available. More volunteers have made contributions as the task proceeded. Sharon Lagendyk's work has been extremely accurate and timely. Mark Wentling has undertaken a special project connected with the gazetteer. Eleanor Burrows here in Jefferson County, and Melinda Cornwell in Alaska are our newest volunteers.
Note: In this file, the highlighted name clicks will take you to the pioneer group sheet associated with the name.
Ezekiel Andrus, father of Ezekiel Andrus, Jr., and grandfather of Stillman Andrus, immigrated to this town from Utica, in the year 1800, bringing with him his family, which consisted of nine children, his wife having died several years before. He also brought with him a two- wheel cart, a yoke of oxen, and a horse. A bark shanty was built on a tract of 140 acres, lying between the "State" and "middle" roads, and west of the road leading from the "middle" road to the Center. Here the family resided until a more commodious dwelling could be provided. In Joseph Hadcock's pasture, and about half a mile north from his residence, may be seen the stone which served as a jamb to the fireplace in Mr. Andrus's log house, which took the place of the one built of bark. Mr. Andrus was one of the very first settlers in Jefferson County, and at the time of his death was the oldest resident in the town, having resided here 77 consecutive years. Of this family, Benjamin, Ezekiel, Jr., and Elisha settled either in Rutland or towns adjoining in this county, Elisha taking the homestead of his father, and Ezekiel, Jr., buying a place on the "south" road in this town. The latter always remained a resident of this town, retaining at the time of his death the farm on which he settled two years after his marriage, and on which his grandson Elon O. resides. Stillman Andrus, son of Ezekiel, Jr., upon his death of his father, took possession of the farm and here resided until 1883, when he removed to a farm on the "middle" road, which he had purchased in 1879. Mr. and Mrs. Ezekiel Andrus, Jr., had children as follows: Lodema, who died in 1840; Diadama (Mrs. Nelson Clark), of Champion; David, who died in 1887; Alcesta (Mrs. Jason Johnson), of Champion; Phebe (Mrs. Philo Scott), who died in 1878; and Stillman, of this town.
Henry ANDREWS, son of William and Mary (Woodruff) Andrews, was born on the farm now owned by Stillman Andrus, March 17, 1819. He attended the district schools of his neighborhood until he was 18 years of age, and then the Watertown Institute for several successive terms. After completing his education here he engaged in teaching winters, and worked at the carpenters' trade summers, a vocation which he had selected for his life work, but which, in after years, he relinquished for that of milling, owning and operating the grist-mill at Tylerville for a period of 25 years. In 1854 he married Lauraette A. Payne and settled in Tylerville, having bought the Chapin place previous to his marriage. Mrs. Andrews died January 4, 1862, and in the August following he enlisted in the 10th N.Y.H.A., and went to Sackets Harbor, leaving September 18th with his regiment for Washington, being called in the defence of that city. Leaving Washington in June, 1864, he went into camp near Petersburg, Va., where he entered the hospital on account of a partial sunstroke which he had sustained. In 1864 he returned to duty, and in the following December was again disabled and sent to Campbell Hospital at Washington, from which he received his final discharge May 13, 1865. Three months previous to his discharge from the service he visited his home in Rutland, on a furlough, and was married to Miss Caroline E. Adams, of Rodman. Mrs. Andews died in January, 1873. March 2, 1874, he married, third, Miss Cecelia M. Payne, a sister of his first wife, by whom he had three children, as follows: Henry M., Grace L., and M. Juliette Payne. Mr. Andrews is now 68 years of age, and is drawing a pension of $30 a month on account of disease contracted while in the service. He is now quite feeble in health, having received a partial stroke of paralysis about 13 years ago. In the prime of life he took great interest in town affairs, and was elected justice of the peace several terms.
John Armstrong was born in Stillwater, Saratoga County, in 1801, and died at South Rutland in 1887. He was the oldest son of James Armstrong, who located in Pinckney, Lewis County, in 1806. Although but a child of five years when he went to that town, yet the impressions made at the time, of the hardships of pioneer life, were never forgotten. He was educated in an old log school-house and his father was the teacher. In 1829 he married Maria Porter, of South Rutland, and in 1835 removed to South Rutland, where he resided until his death. He had born to him five sons and two daughters. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and an influential citizen.
Elihu Ball was born in Elizabethtown, N.J., in 1784, whence he removed to Oneida County, with his parents, when about 12 years of age. Here he resided until he attained his majority, when he married Miss Anna Pelton, of Saybrook, Conn., and the following year removed to Rutland and located on a tract of land in the southwest corner of the town. He built a log house and commenced clearing the land in anticipation of the comforts of a future home. Utica was their nearest market; and when their first child was but a year old Mr. and Mrs. Ball went thither on an ox-sled with a barrel of potash, a distance of about 75 miles. They had born to them six children, viz.: Maria, Samantha (deceased), Juliette (deceased), William P., Henry M., and Lucippa Ann (deceased). Mr. Ball once held the office of school superintendent, and in the War of 1812 was first lieutenant of a company of cavalry. He died in 1871, aged 86 years.
William P. Ball, son of Elihu and Anna (Pelton) Ball, was born November 24, 1810, in a log house built by his father on entering this town. He resided with his parents until 24 years of age, when he married Adelia A., daughter of Asa Hill, of Rodman. In the spring of 1825 he bought a farm adjoining his father's homestead on the north, known as the Johnson farm, where he reared a family of three children, viz.: John, an adopted son, born in 1835, died in 1875; Antonette (Mrs. George F. Hickox), born in 1838; Agnes O. (Mrs. O.A. Johnson), born in 1847. Mrs. Hickox resides with her husband on her father's farm, and Mrs. Johnson and her husband live in the town of Champion. In 1851 Mr. Ball built a new house on his farm, around which he set a row of maple trees, which now add much to the beauty of the place. He is one of the oldest men living who was born in this town. He has been repeatedly honored by his towns-man, by being chosen to the offices of assessor and highway commissioner, having held the later office 12 years. Of his son, John Call, too much cannot be said in his praise. In the spring of 1855 he settled in Minnesota, and when the war broke out he enlisted in Co. K, 1st Regt. Minn. Vols., as a private, and was rapidly promoted to first lieutenant and then to captain of his company. His regiment was incorporated in the Army of the Potomac, and he participated in the first battle at Bull Run, where he displayed much sagacity and courage. From this time his regiment seemed destined to be foremost in all the battles of the Army of the Potomac. He was at Yorktown and Williamsburg, and in the memorable six days' fight on the banks and in the swamps of the Chickahominy. He returned with the army from the Peninsula and participated in the second Bull Run battle, and at Antietam. He was also in the battle of Fredericksburg under General Burnside, and in the hottest of the fight at Chancellorsville under Hooker, and at Gettysburg. In the latter engagement all the superior officers of his brigade were killed or wounded, and the formation of the brigade devolved upon him. The part he took on that bloody field will hever be erased from the pages of history. After the disbandment of his regiment he was appointed colonel of the 11th Minnesota, with which he remained until the close of the war. Col. Ball was wounded at Bristow Station by a ball passing throuh his thigh. He had fired every charge of his ammunition, and being almost hand to hand with the enemy, he threw his pistol at them, and the next moment received a disabling wound. He returned to Minnesota after the close of the war, where he married Emma C. Lewton, of Winona, Minn. He died of connsumption, at the home of his parents, in this town, September 26, 1875.
John Beecher came from Connecticut to Rutland about 1800, and settled on road 27, on the farm now owned by his son John W., where he purchased 80 acres, made a clearing, and built a log cabin. He was a shoemaker by trade, and was one of the company who built the woolen-mill at Tylerville. He was a religious man and an influential member of the Presbyterian Church. He married Margaret Richardson and they had four sons and six daughters, of whom three sons are living: Washington and John W. in this town, and Thomas E. in East Watertown. John Beecher was born in 1820. In 1842 he married Elizabeth Wilson and settled on the old homestead. He has had two sons and two daughters, of whom the daughters, Mrs. H.B. Churchill, of East Watertown, and Mrs. J.C. Riordan, survive. Mr. Beecher has served the town as justice of the peace and notary public, and now resides in the village of Tylerville.
Marcus Bronson, son of Deacon Jonas and Melinda (Baldwin) Bronson, was born on a farm located on the middle road, in the east part of this town May 2, 1823. His father settled here in 1811, coming from Middlebury, Conn., with his wife and two children, George and Cleora. After coming here the following children were born to them, viz.; Mary, Elizabeth, Asa, Sophia, Anna, Alonzo, Marcus, and Jonas, Jr. Of their 10 children, Marcus is the only one now living, and he occupies the old homestead on which he was reared. In 1849, at the age of 26 years, he married Sarah A. Church, by whom he has had children as follows: Lousia, who died in 1869, Emily, Melinda, Fanny C. (Mrs. Elbert J. Fuller), and Hiram I., who resides with his parents on the homestead. Mr. Bronson has been trustee of the school district in which he lives for 18 years, and is deacon of the Congregational Church, of which he is the oldest member. He has always taken an active part in church matters.
Alexander Brown, son of Francis and Betsey (Huntley) Brown, was born in the town of Philadelphia, July 23, 1825, where his father, a native of Saratoga County, settled in 1820, but subsequently removed to Watertown. At the age of 25 years Alexander married Mary E., daughter of Henry Lawrence, of Canton, St. Lawrence County, by whom he had three children: Francis A., a fireman on the R., W. & O. R.R.; Ida H. (Mrs. William S. Fuller), who resides on the "middle" road, in this town; and Charles J., who lives with his parents. In July, 1861, Mr Brown enlisted in the 1st N.Y. Lt. Art. Three months later they were called to Washington, where they remained until 1862, when batteries A, D, and H were called to Newport News, where they joined McClellan's army and took part in the battles of Williamsburg and Seven Pines. In July, 1862, these batteries were engaged in the "Seven Days Fight," in which Mr. Brown was injured by the recoil of a cannon and was sent to David's Island Hospital. Here he remained three weeks. Being still unable to do active service he was detailed to take charge of the sick at East Capitol Hill, but was soon after transfered to Battery H and sent to Camp Convalescent, and after about two months he was discharged fron the service for injuries received at the battle of Seven Pines. After about right months he reenlisted in the 10th N.Y.H.A., and served until the close of the war, being mustered out of service June 29, 1865. Mr. Brown is able to labor but very little, and receives a pension. His father was a pensioner of the War of 1812, which pension his mother is still receiving. She resides in the village of Sterlingville at the advanced age of 88 years. Mr. Brown now lives at Burr's Mills.
Asa Brown was one of the pioneers of Lorraine, and was the first supervisor of that town. He died in 1813. Ira, son of Asa, was born January 25, 1812. After the death of his father his mother married Milo Maltby, of Rutland, and they located in this town. In 1831 Ira married Alzina Stanley, daughter of Asa, by whom he had seven children, only one of whom, Stanley W., resides in this town. Stanley W. Brown was born March 12, 1836. In 1858 he married Rebecca, daughter of Stephen Adsit, by whom he has had two children, Willie D. and Flora B., both deceased. In August, 1862, Mr. Brown enlisted in Co. I, 5th N.Y.H.A., was at Washington and Harper's Ferry, and was mustered out in June, 1865. After the close of the war he returned to this town, where he has since resided, with the exception of two years' residence in Lewis County. His home is in Tylerville village.
Robert Butts was born in Dutchess County in 1786, and in 1803 located in the town of Turin, then in Oneida County. In 1812 he located in Champion. In 1816 he married Sally Campbell, of Champion, formerly of Massachusetts, and settled in Watertown, but later located on a small farm. Six children were born to him, viz.: Sardis, Melissa, Perry, Fowler N., Rominda, and Francis, all of whom are living. Fowler N., who owns his father's homestead, has retired from farming and now lives in the village of Tylerville, in this town. Francis is a blacksmith at Zoar, in Rodman. Mrs. Butts died in 1865, aged 77 years, and his death occurred in 1876, at the advanced age of 89 years. In 1849 his son Fowler N. married Julia Ann, daughter of Timothy Woolworth, of Pinckney, Lewis county. In 1883 he left the homestead in the possession of his son Silas W., who now occupies it. He has served as road commissioner for one term.
Foster Carey was born in Antwerp, August 2, 1828, and with the exception of a short residence in Canada and St. Lawrence County has always resided in this county. May 20, 1857, he married Samantha L. Prever, of St. Lawrence County. November 18, 1861, he enlisted in Co.I, 92d N.Y. Vols. In February, 1862, his regiment was called to Washington, and April following was sent to Fortress Monroe to join McClellan's forces at Yorktown. Here, while unloading commissaries from a wagon, Mr. Carey received injuries to his spine and was sent to the hospital, from which he was discharged from the service December 28, 1862. Jannuary 14, 1863, he removed with his family to Black River village, and after fully regaining his health, in December of the same year he reenlisted in Co.A, 14th N.Y.H.A. He participated in the battles of the Wilderness, Fort Anna, Spottsylvania Court House, and Cold Harbor. At the later place he was taken sick and was sent to the hospital at Point of Rocks, June 16, 1864, where he remained until June 3, 1865, when he received his final discharge. He now receives a pension. The children born to him are as follows: John, 1858; William W., 1861; Charles D., 1863; Lepha E., 1866; and Ulysses S. Grant, 1872. Charles D. died June 25, 1880.
Amos Carpenter, a native of Vermont, married Pamelia Chaffee, of Westminster, Vt., in 1813, and in 1844 settled in the town of LeRay, on a farm now owned by Reuben Scott, where he resided several years, dying in that town in 1871. His first wife, who died in 1839, bore him 11 children, five of whom now reside in this county. By his second wife, Delana Farnsworth, of Vermont, he had four children. Charles A. Carpenter, son of Amos and Pamelia, was born November 30, 1836, and is a resident of this town. In 1860 he married Amelia J., daughter of William Roberts, and settled at Felt's Mills, where he has since resided. August 6, 1862, he enlisted in Co. D, 10th N.Y.H.A., was wounded at Petersburg, June 30, 1864, and was discharged from hospital at West Philadelphia, Pa., May 18, 1865. He has three sons, Charles H., William G., and Fred W.
Hiram B. Churchill, son of Archibald M., was born in Le Ray, July 25, 1837. In 1859 he was employed by Daniel Hamlin in this town, and May 6, 1861, he enlisted in Co. A, 35th Regt. N.Y. Vols., and served with the regiment until September 7, when he was sent to the hospital at Washington, and afterwards transfered to Annapolis, Md., being discharged from the hospital there November 11. He was discharged from the regiment December 30, 1861. He returned to Rutland, and in 1862 married Mary S. Beecher, daughter of John W., and has since been engaged in farming. He has three children, Willie B., Frank A., and Nellie M. Mr. Churchill was one of six brothers who served in the late civil war. He now resides in Watertown.
Asa Clark and his wife, Betsey Dalrymple, immigrated from Halifax, Vt., to this town in 1806, and settled on the farm now occupied by their grandson, C.P. Clark, where the pioneer Asa made a clearing and built a log cabin in 1804. Elisha and Elias Clark, brothers of Asa, settled on farms adjoining, and the locality is now known as Clark's Hill. Asa had eight children, six of whom attained maturity, namely: Asa, Jr., Prudence (Mrs. Peter Poor), Almanda, Lucena (Mrs. Aaron Poor), Nancy (Mrs. Thomas Matthews), and Chandler. Asa, Jr., married Betsey Poor, daughter of Christopher, and settled on the Elias Clark farm, but later occupied the large stone house erected by his father in 1835, and resided on the homestead until his sudden death in 1882. Asa, Jr.'s, children were Christopher P., who now resides on the homestead; Lucy J. (the late Mrs. John Youngs); Clement, who died young; Asa D., who died in 1869; Mandana (Mrs. Stephen A. Merwillog), of Black River; and Chandler C., of LeRay. Mr. Clark was actively interested in town affairs, was supervisor three terms, and was assessor a number of years. He was a Whig and later a Republican, and was a strict partisan. He was greatly respected by his towns people, and was often chosen as mediator for the settlement of difficulties arising between neighbors.
William Closs, son of Christopher, was born in Columbia, Herkimer County, whence, at the age of 14 years, he removed with his father to Pamelia, where he resided until he attained his majority, when he located in this town. He married Lovina, daughter of Richard Phillips, of Pamelia, and removed to LeRay. In 1862, when a resident of Rutland, he enlisted in Co. K, 10th N.Y.H.A., and while in the engagement in front of Petersburg, April 2, 1865, was severly wounded in the leg by a minie-ball. His leg was amputated April 4, and he was discharged August 11, 1865. He has since resided in Felt's Mills. His children are William W., Jerome B., Arline, and Caroline.
David Conkling, son of James, came from South Salem, N.Y., to Rutland, in 1808, and bought a tract of 80 acres, upon which he located with his family in 1809. In 1810 he built a frame home, which is still standing. He married Joanna Gilbert and they had 17 children, four of whom survive, and one, Alvin, resides in this town in the old homestead. Alvin Conkling married Helen A., daughter of Ruggles Goodale, of Antwerp, by whom he has had three children, all now deceased. Mr. Conkling adopted two daughters, Eula Dell (Mrs. Arthur G. Beals), of Carthage, and Sarah. The latter was murdered November 30, 1875, at the age of 10 years, by Frank Rutan, who is now serving a life sentence in Auburn prison.
William H. Coon, son of David and Susannah Coon, was born in the town of Antwerp in 1845, the youngest of five children. His father died and his mother married, the second time, William Bedell, a widower having 12 sons. Soon after this marriage Mr. and Mrs. Bedell removed to this town, where they remained until his death, in 1865. At the breaking out of the Rebellion nine of Mr. Bedell's sons enlisted, as did also Orlando W. and Almar G. Coon. November 2, 1861, at the age of 16 years and five months, William H. Coon enlisted, without the knowledge of his parents, at Copenhagen, Lewis County, under Lieutenant B.F. Smith, and was mustered into service at Albany in November, 1861. in Co. B, 35th N.Y. Vols. At Fort Skedadle, near Falls Church, Va., in 1862, Mr. Coon contracted the measles, which nearly caused his death. He was sent to Bellevue Hospital, New York City, where he was discharged, in November, 1862 on a surgeon's certificate of disability, and returned home. In 1863 he went to New Hampshire, and the same year to Sharon, Vt., where he reenlisted, in Co. D, 17th VT. Vols., as corporal. On April 19, 1864, he was promoted to 3d sergeant, and on May 9 to orderly sergeant. He was discharged July 23, 1865, in the field near Petersburg, Va. He participated in the following battles: Falmouth, Va., Fredericksburg, Wilderness, Spottsylvania, North Anna River, Petersburg, Va., and Appomattox Court House. He was mustered in as a charter member and elected quatermaster- sergeant of C.R. Glass Post. No. 409, G.A.R. In 1867 he married Elmina, youngest daughter of Warren and Amanda Allen, and now resides in the village of black River, in this town.
Cyrus Cory was one of the early settlers of Watertown, and taught school in several towns in this county. James W. Cory, son of Cyrus, served in Co. H, 2d N.Y.H.A., and now resides in West Carthage. He married, first, Elizabeth, daughter of William Bohall, of Champion, by whom he had two sons, one of whom, Fayette F., survives. The latter was born in 1853. In 1877 he married Hattie A., daughter of Jesse Hapgood, of Rutland, by whom he has had two children, a son, Fred F., who survives, and a daughter, May A., who died in infancy. He is a blacksmith and resides at Tylerville.
Charles H. Cramer was born in the town of Harrisburg, Lewis County, and in 1835 came to this town with his parents. His father, Henry Cramer, purchased 90 acres of land of Alvin Dodge, a little north of the village of Tylerville, to which he subsequently added 65 acres. On this farm Charles H. was reared, receiving his education at the village school. At the age of 22 years he married Olive Jane, daughter of Timothy Bailey, of this town, and they had seven children, as follows Ida Louise (Mrs. Dr. O.H. Merrill), of Corinna, Me.; William H., a physician, of Copenhagen, Lewis County; Lansing J., a physician, of Newark, Wayne County; Charles W., who resides with his father; Lucinda S. (Mrs. W. H. Atwater), of Adams, this county; Charlotte M. (Mrs. George Twining), of Champion; and Nellie R., a school teacher in this town. Mrs Cramer died in 1867, and in 1869 he married Mary Jane, widow of John Hazel by who he had two children, Linea B., and Robert B., both of whom reside in this town. In 1848 Mr. Cramer was appointed captain of a company of light infantry organized under the old state militia law. He had lately had the office of assessor in this town, and also master of the grange.
Jabez Crouch, son of William, was a native of Guilford, Vt., whence he removed to this town about 1810 and located on the farm now occupied by his grandson, Charles E. Crouch, where he died. He had three children, Harriet, Sophia, and Everett. The latter married Emma J. Fuller and settled on the old homestead, where he resided until his death. They had one son, Charles E., who married, first Jane Newkirk, and second Sarah I. Flint, and now occupies the old homestead.
Almond Drake, son of Ziba, married first, Hattie Gamble, of Brownville, and resided in that town five years, when he removed to Rutland and located on road 5. He married, second, Esther Hare, and removed to Wilna, where he died. Andrew Z. Drake, son of Almond, was born in Brownville, December 4, 1836. March 7, 1858, he married Mary, daughter of Benjamin Crossett, of Rutland, and settled at Felt's Mills, where he has since resided. August 17, 1862, he enlisted in Co. A, 10th N.Y.H.A., and was discharged June 27, 1865. Since 1851 he has been engaged in the manufacture of carriages at Felt's Mills, with the exception of two years spent in Clayton. He has had four children, M. Viola, who died in 1887, Nellie E., Carrie L., and George A., who survive. Mrs. Drake died in 1888.
Enoch Eddy came to this town from Rutland, Vt., in June 1800, with George White, who was known as "Major" White, and located on the farm now owned by his grandson, E.H. Eddy. He moved his family here in 1801, his son James at the time being 10 years of age. James Eddy married Cynthia Philbrooks, and settled on the homestead where his son E.H. now resides.
John Eddy came from Grafton, Mass., to Rutland, in 1803, and settled on the farm, on road 27, now occupied by his granddaughter, Mrs. Horace Wilcox. He took up 80 acres, which he occupied until his death. He had three sons, all born in Massachusetts. John Eddy, Jr., married Amy Kelsey, of Brattleboro, Vt., and settled upon the old homestead, where he resided until his death. He served in the War of 1812. His only child, a daughter, Mary, married Horace Wilcox. Horace Wilcox, son of Smith, was born in Herkimer County, whence he removed to Rutland in 1848. In 1857 he married Mary Eddy and settled on the Eddy homestead, where he since resided. He has two children, Amy (Mrs. A.T. Frink) and Herbert J., who lives with his parents.
Thomas C. Francis, son of Thomas, a native of Connecticut, removed with his father and located in the town of Champion. He married, first, Amanda, daughter of Thomas Paddock; second, Mercy K. Kneeland; and third, Mrs. Sally Shew. After his first marriage he located on the farm now occupied by his son G.P., where he died. He had two children, G.P. and Diana, by his first wife, and one, Gilbert E., by his second wife. Gilbert E. Francis was born in Champion in 1827. He married, first, Sophronia H., daughter of George L. Coughlan, in 1858, and in 1860 removed to Carthage. September 20, 1862, he enlisted in Co. D. 10th N.Y.H.A., and at the battle of Bermuda Front was wounded in the left cheek by a minie-ball. By June 6, 1865, he was discharged from the hospital at Fortress Monroe. By his first wife, who died in 1870, he had one daughter, Nellie A. (Mrs. W.W. Sweet), of Carthage. He married, second, Celestia S., daughter of Andrew G. Middleton, of Rutland, in 1872, and in 1877 located at Felt's Mills, where he has since resided. His son Ernest M. died in 1881.
Albert A. French, son of David, was born in Rossie, St. Lawrence County, in 1863. He was educated in the common schools, and in early life worked out upon farms. In 1882 he located in Rutland, bought four colonies of bees, and started an apiary, in which business he has since been engaged. In 1884 he lost all but two of his colonies. In the spring he purchased 16 colonies, which in 1888 he increased to 160. Mr. French is a careful student of modern apiculture, and well informed upon vrious points pertaining to the history and management of bees. He has contributed several valuable articles on the subject to various publications. He is considered good authority on the subject of bee-keeping.
Samuel Frink, son of Trustrim and Betsey (Clark) Frink, was born in this town in 1819. His father came here from Vermont in 1806, and located in the north part of the town, on what is known as Clark Hill, and died here in 1865. On this farm Samuel Frink was born and reared, receiving his education in the Rutland Hollow district school, receiving about two months schooling a year. At the age of 28 years he married Lucy Ann, daughter of Robert Hardy, of this town, and the same year purchased a farm at the "Center," where he resided for 20 years. In 1869 he sold this place, and in 1871 purchased the farm on which he now resides, located about half a mile west of "Center." Mr. and Mrs. Frink have three children,viz.; Carl H. and Asa B., who reside with their parents, and Lucy M. (Mrs. Frank J. Staplin), who resides on a farm one mile north of Rutland. Their oldest child died at the age of 19 years. Mr. Frink was a supervisor in 1869, and has been town clerk two years. He has been justice of the peace for seven years, and is the present incumbent of that office. He was a Whig in politics until the formation of the Republican party, to which he has since strictly adhered. During the war of the Rebellion he was very active in assisting to raise the town quotas from time to time, and to lighten the burdens of the government. Mr. Frink is now 67 years of age, and is still very active in business. His father died at the age of 85 years and his mother at the age of 80.
Charles W. Fuller was a descendant of Thomas Fuller, who was born on the Mayflower. He came from Massachusetts to Rutland among the early settlers, locating in Rutland Hollow, whence he afterwards removed to Antwerp, where he died. He had one son and three daughters, namely: Lura T. (Mrs. William Smith), Emma (Mrs. Lewis Miller), Adelia (Mrs. Charles Loomis), and Charles A. The latter was born in 1823, and at the age of 12 years was bound out to Daniel Vebber, with whom he lived until he attained his majority. At the age of 22 years he married Mary A., daughter of Charles Castle, and for five years thereafter resided in Champion. He then returned to Rutland, and for the past 20 years has occupied his present farm. He has five children, viz.: Eliazbeth A. (Mrs. A.D. Vebber); Daniel V., of Trenton, Oneida County; Gilson C., of Flockville, St. Lawrence County; and William S. and Elbert J., of this town.
Jacob Fuller came to Rutland about 1802 or '03, from Shelburne Falls, Mass., and located in the northern part of the town. He returned to Massachusetts the next year and married Dilla Thayre, by whom he had five children, viz.: Sopronia, Daphne, Gratia, Lucretia, and Norman J., the latter of whom resides in Carthage. Mr. Fuller was a farmer, and a deacon of the Baptist Church for more than 40 years. He was a captain of a company of militia in the War of 1812, was participated in the battle of Sackets Harbor. Both he and his wife died on the old homestead in this town.
James Fulton, Jr., was born in Colerain, Mass., whence he removed to this county, locating in Champion in 1806, on the farm now owned by LeRoy Wood, where he took up 120 acres and built a log cabin. He married Sarah Choate, of Massachusetts, and they had nine children, two of whom, Jesse and Eleanor survive. In 1838 he located in this town, at Rutland Hollow, on the farm now occupied by his daughter Eleanor, where he died in 1838. Jesse Fulton was born in 1812. He married Mary, daughter of Reuben Scott, in 1847, and settled on the farm where he now resides. Mrs. Fulton died January 20, 1889. They had a daughter, Ida E., who married George Hadcock and resides with her father.
C.B. Gipson, son of John C., was born in Concord, Me., June 8, 1823. In 1843 he located at Felt's Mills, where he has since resided. In 1845 he married Lucy, daughter of Leonard Aldrich, of Rutland, by whom he has two children, Josephine S. (Mrs. George Woods) and Henry S., a lawyer of Faribault, Minn. Mr. Gipson is a carpenter and builder by occupation. December 22, 1861, he enlisted in Co. H, 11th N.Y. Cav., at Canton, N.Y., as a private, and by gradual promotion attained the rank of captain, receiving the latter commission March 21, 1865. He was discharged at Memphis, Tenn., March 25, 1865, when he returned to Felt's Mills. In 1872 he was elected justice of the peace, and has held that office four terms. He has also filled acceptably other town offices.
Chester C. Goldthrite, son of Benoni, was born in Rutland, June 28, 1839. In November,1861, he enlisted in Co. B, 97th N.Y. Vols., and participated in the battles of South Mountain, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court House, Gettysburg (where he was taken prisioner), Petersburg, Weldon Railroad, Five Forks, and Appomattox, and several minor engagements. He was discharged in July, 1865. In 1868 he married Margaret, daughter of George Olley, by whom he has had seven children, namely: Eva, George, Fredie (deceased), Walter C., Chester A. (deceased), James G., and Hubert (deceased). In 1883 Mr. Goldthrite located in Felt's Mills. He has been employed by the Utica and Black River and the R., W. & O. railroads for 15 years.
Jennery T. Gotham was born in the town of Watertown, March 10, 1813, where his father, Col. John Gotham, when a young man, came from New Hampshire and located about 1803, traveling on foot the entire distance and carrying an axe on his shoulder. He bought a tract of land about two miles southeasternly from the city of Watertown, paying three dollars per acre. On this he remained three years, built a log house, and made other improvements, when he returned to his native state and was married, and brought his wife to his new home, where he reared a family of four children, viz.: Deborah, Jennery T., Relative P., and John E., all of whom are deceased. Here Jennery T. was educated in the common schools, with a few months at the academy. In 1839, when 26 years of age, he married Caroline Hutchinson, by whom he had three children, viz.: John H., who resides near the old homestead settled by his grandfather; Zeruah C. (widow of Merrit A. Fish), who lives about a mile north of Rutland Center; and Darwin B., who resides in Watertown. Jennery T. resided in Watertown until he died in 1883.
John Gould, son of John, was born in Herkimer County, whence, at the age of six years, he removed to the town of Pamelia about 1807. He married Nancy Augsbury, of Pamelia, and settled on the farm now owned by Fred Gould. He afterwards bought the old homestead where his father lived and died. He reared a family of three sons and five daughters, one of whom, Rice, resides in this town. Rice Gould was born in Pamelia, January 26, 1840. November 26, 1866, he married Phebe, daughter of Willard Eddy, of Pamelia, and settled in Rutland, on the farm where he has since resided. He has two children, Mary E. and Pitt A., who reside with their father. Mrs. Rice Gould died December 23, 1886.
Hon. Joseph Graves was born in East Haddam, Conn., October 3, 1787, and in 1804 he removed to Westmoreland, Oneida County, where he resided until 1812, when he located in Sackets Harbor, remaining there during the War of 1812-15. He married Anna Graves, of Copenhagen, in 1815, and settled on this town, on a farm on road 22 now owned by Horace Wilcox. He was a prominent man, and served the town as supervisor 10 years. In 1842 he was elected member of Assembly by a large majority, and in 1848 was one of the electors who supported Gen. Lewis Cass for the presidency. He also served as justice of the peace several years. In 1811 he joined the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he continued a member 58 years. He died in December, 1875, aged 89 years, and his wife November 1, 1882. They had six children, two of whom are living, Hubert, in Black River village, and Delia J. (Mrs. E.D. Allen), in Rutland. Hubert Graves was born June 29, 1820. In 1840 he married Adelaide De Lafleur, daughter of John B., and settled on the old homestead, where he engaged in farming until 1881, when he removed to Black River village. They have had five children, Anna J. and Allen D., deceased, Joseph S., of Black River, and Eugene E. and Frank P., of Frankfort, Dakota.
George Gregory, son of Abram, was born in the town of Adams, near Adams Center, in 1840. When five years of age he removed with his parents to Pillar Point, where his mother died, and he was adopted by Deacon Elias Babcock, of Adams, where he lived until he was 22 years of age. He married Sibyl J., daughter of Thomas R. Greene, of Rodman, and in 1875 located in this town on the farm where he now resides.
David Hickox was born in Connecticut in 1777, and in 1802 came to this town, bringing with him his wife and two sons, Horace and Homer, and took up 200 acres of land in the southeast corner of the town. He built a log house and went to work with a zeal characteristic of the pioneers, subduing the forests and laying the foundation for a future home. He was a natural mechanic, a wheelwright by trade, and furnished the then sparsely settled country with spinning- wheels and reels, many of which may be found in the town to-day. Six children were born to him after coming to this town, viz.: Abiah, Addison, Virgil, Betsey, Manlius, and Frank, all of whom are deceased save Abiah (Mrs. Elisha Parks), of Elkhart, Ill., Frank, who lives in Springfield, Ill., and Betsey, in Colorado. Mrs. Hickox having died in 1825, he married, in 1827, Mrs. Betsey Phelps, widow of Albert Phelps, of Rutland. Mr. Hickox died April 2, 1850, in Springfield, Ill. Several of his grandchildren are now living in this town, among whom are George F. Hickox, who resides on the farm with his father-in-law. William P. Ball, and Charles A. Hickox, who lives with his brother George F.
Richmond Howland came to Rutland in 1806. William Howland, son of Richmond, was born in this town April 22, 1809. In 1841 he married Eunice P., daughter of James Eddy, and settled on road 14. He has always lived in Rutland, with the exception of four years' residence in Pamelia. In 1868 he bought the farm he now occupies. He has had three sons, namely: Cyrus, who died at the age of 37 years, Walter, of LeRay, and Fred, who resides with his parents. In politics Mr. Howland is a Republican.
William Y. Isham came from Massachusetts to Rutland about 1846, and settled on the farm, on road 60, now owned by Mrs. Jane E. Isham. He subsequently removed to Rodman, where he died. William L. Isham, son of William Y., was born in Massachusetts. He married Jane E., daughter of Russell Wright, of Pinckney, Lewis County, and settled on the farm now occupied by his widow. He died July 26, 1883. He had three children, Elia J., (Mrs. Harley Stebbins), William R., and Carrie M., all of whom reside in this town.
Eli Kellogg came into the county of Jefferson in 1822, coming from Lowville, where he had settled in 1805 with a colony of Massachusetts families. About 1806 he married Grace, daughter of Captain Jonathan Rogers, and removed to Martinsburg, then the county seat of Lewis County, at which place he remained till 1822, when he removed with his family to the south part of the town of Rutland. There he reared the large family which had been born to him. His children were Mary, who married Charles Frink, a prominent maltster of Utica and Albany; Sylvester, a farmer, who remained in Rutland and reared a large family; Sophy, who married Silas Doud; Roland, a farmer, who died about 1850; Cornelia, who married Norman Wood who now resides in Adams; Alonzo, who died at Adams in 1888; Pamelia, who married Thurman M. Patrick, and who resides in Adams; Betsey, who married Oliver Stone, and who died in 1869; Rebecca, who married Lucius Oaks and died about 1853; Janette, who married Gathoris A. Scovil and now resides in Durango, Colorado. Eli Kellogg died at Adams about 1855. Sylvester Kellogg, born January 21, 1808, married Irene, daughter of Rev. Walter Harris Terry, March 19, 1840. He continued to reside in the town of Rutland until 1885, when he removed to Adams Center, at which place he died in April, 1888. His children were Charles S., born 1841, now an agricultural implement dealer in Watertown; George B., born 1843, a clothier at Lansing, Mich.; Eli, born 1847, now a farmer at Adams center; Ilona, born 1850, married to Alfred H. Bristol, a farmer, of South Rutland; Kate, born 1853, married Charles H. Visscher, of South Rutland; Virgil Kenyon, born March 17, 1858, and attorney in Carthage.
W.J. Lasher, son of William I. and Lydia (Stoddard) Lasher, was born in Harrisburg, Lewis County, August 4, 1837. In 1864 he married Matilda, daughter of James Ganes, of Harrisburg, and in 1867 purchased the Tuttle Hotel at Rutland Center and located in that village, where he now resides. He has three children, Frank C., Hattie M., and Fred J., all of whom reside at home.
James W. Lawton, son of Joseph P., of the town of Philadelphia, was born in 1858. In 1879 he married Frankie, daughter of Milo A. Shurtleff, who died in 1881. He married, second, Alice E., daughter of John Varley. He has one child, Edwin C., by his first wife, and two, Joseph P. and John D., by his second. Mr. Lawton has been engaged in carpentering since he attained the age of 18.
William T. Lewis, son of Abel P., was born in Champion, June 5, 1831. In 1854 he married Elmanza M., daughter of Jeremiah Smith, and in 1859 settled in the town of Rutland. Since 1868 he has resided in Black River village. August 20, 1862, he enlisted in Co. D, 10th N.Y.H.A., and was discharged for disability May 15, 1864. He has had four children, three of whom, William M., Lillian C., and Wallace A., are deceased, and Byron L. lives at home. Upon the death of the first wife Mr. Lewis married her sister, Abbie E. Mr. Lewis has in his possession a belt of wampum which was worn by Col. Andrew Lewis during the French and Indian and Revolutionary Wars.
F.B. Lindsell, son of William, was born in England in 1846, and in 1869 came to the United States. In 1871 he enlisted in Co.F, 1st Regt. U.S. Inf., and served until 1874, when he was discharged. In 1875 he enlisted in the U.S. navy, and continued in that branch of the service 19 months. In 1880 he came to Jefferson County, and in 1889 located in Rutland Center village, where he holds the office of postmaster.
MOONEY, Thomas Sr., a native of County Derry, Ireland, came to America in 1846, and in 1849 came to this town and located at Rutland Center, where he has since resided, engaged in farming and blacksmithing. He married Jane Coakly, and they have eight children, of whom Sarah (Mrs. Nicholas Schmid) resides in Carthage, and Eliza and Samuel J. with their parents. Samuel J. Mooney is one of the highway commissioners of this town.
Willard Oakes, son of Nathaniel, was born in Athens, Vt. He married Sally Bartlett, of Massachusetts, and in 1842 or '43 located in this town on the farm now occupied by his son Henry D., where he died in 1875. His wife died in 1874. They had eight children, three of whom survive, viz.: Edwin, of Springfield, Vt., Sarah (Mrs. Albert Cory), of Pinckney, N.Y., and Henry D., of this town. Henry D. Oakes was born May 3, 1841. In 1864 he married Emily A., daughter of Elizur Shephard, of Potsdam, and settled on the homestead, where he has since been engaged in farming. He is also a teacher of instrumental music. He has six children, Dorr B., Ida M. (Mrs. George L. Canfield), Carrie L., Fred W., Grace J., and Lester D., all of whom reside in this town.
Arunah Otis, a desendant of the Otis family, of Halifax,Vt., came to Rutland about 1807, and settled on the farm, on road 25, now occupied by his grandson, George Otis. Here he carried on farming and blacksmithing, and it is said made the first cheese in town. His son Joel A. married Malina Wood, of Champion, and settled on the old homestead farm. He died in 1887, aged 83 years, and his wife in 1862. He had three children, namely Elizabeth (Mrs. Otis Willard), of Antwerp; Caroline (Mrs. D.C. Eddy), of Pamelia; and George. The latter was born February 26, 1829. He married Cynthia A., daughter of Enoch Eddy, of Pamelia, and engaged in farming on the old homestead. He has three children, viz.: Ada E. (Mrs. J.C. Woodruff), of Watertown; Frankie H. (Mrs. John Dempster Randall), of Frankfort, Dakota; and John D., of this town.
Edward Phillips came from Lyme, Conn., to this town, about 1808, and located upon 50 acres where his son Orin A. now resides. He married Mary, daughter of Ichabod Pierce, and they had 10 children, of whom Henry resides in Liberty, Ill.; Edward in Lowville, N.Y.; William R. in Nashua, Iowa; John W. in Natural Bridge, in the town of Wilna; and Orin A. upon the homestead in this town, where he is engaged in farming. Orin A. Phillips served the town as assessor for nine years.
Ephraim J. Pierce, son of Allen, was born in Halifax, Vt., July 24, 1821. When 18 years of age he came to Rutland and located at Black River village, where he learned the carpenters' trade, which has since been his principal occupation. He married Euphenia O., daughter of Elias and Wealthy Woodward, and they have had three children, Ella R., who died in 1865; Mary D. (Mrs. D.E. Dexter); and Carrie A. (Mrs. Willard A. Gray). In 1862 Mr. Pierce enlisted in Co. K, 10th N.Y.H.A., and was discharged in 1864 on account of disability.
Charles Pool, native of Boston, removed from Stowe, Mass., to Champion, in this county, about 1840, and engaged with his brother Sylvanus in conducting a tannery at Champion "Huddle." There he continued about seven years, when he removed to Rutland and engaged in the same business until 1872 or '73. He has been blind for about 30 years. He married Ruth Chase, of Wilna, and they have three children, Anna H., Carrie F., and E.S. The latter is a farmer on road 44, in this town.
Peter Poor, son of Christopher, was born in Schoharie County, whence he removed to this town with his parents. He married Prudence, daughter of Asa Clark, and located in Black River village in 1827. He with his father built a saw-mill where D. Dexter & Son's chair shop now is. In 1836 he sold out and moved across the river, where, in company with his father, he bought a grist-mill of Mr. Horton, which burned in 1838. Mr. Poor died in 1859. His widow survives and is a resident of this town.
John H. Putney, son of Abram, and a native of Canada, removed with his parents to Pamelia when young. He married Clarissa, daughter of Alvah Stevens, of Pamelia, in 1850, and engaged in blacksmithing in that town. In August, 1864, he enlisted in Co.I, 186th Regt. N.Y. Vols. He was taken sick in camp and came home June 8, 1865, where he died July 24, 1865. He had one son, Clinton M., who married Emma, daughter of Edwin Burlingame, and resides in Black River village.
F. Lansing Rockwood, son of Charles G., was born in Champion, June 3, 1847. August 24, 1863, he enlisted in Co. A, 20th N.Y. Cav., and was discharged August 11, 1865. He married, first, Mary M. Patterson, of Pamelia, by whom he had two children, M. Lillian and Charles G., Jr., and second Sarah J. Christie, of LeRay. He is a carpenter, and resides at Felt's Mills. He was elected a justice of the peace in 1889.
George G. Sabin was born in the town of Ontario, Wayne County, November 28, 1838. He was reared upon a farm, and at an early age commenced teaching school winters and attending the academy at Macedon in the summer, until he acquired a good academic education. In the spring of 1861 he went West, and in June of that year enlisted in the 6th Ohio Vols., at Cincinnati, serving three years. When mustered out he located in Wayne County, N.Y. where he reenlisted in the 9th N.Y.H.A., serving one year. At the close of his term of service he commenced the study of medicine in the office of his uncle, Dr. S.A. Sabin, in September, 1865, and graduated from the University of Michigan in March, 1868, and the same year commenced the practice of his profession in the village of Denmark, Lewis County, when he remained one year. He married Cornelia M., daughter of Leonard H. Loomis, and removed to this county, where he has since practiced, with the exception of three years' residence in Iowa. He now resides in the village of Black River.
Daniel H. Scott was born in Black River village, in this town, September 23, 1828. In 1849 he married Lodema, daughter of Levi Snow, of the town of Philadelphia. They commenced house-keeping in Watertown, where they remained about a year, when they removed to this town. September 28, 1861, he enlisted in Co. A, 35th N.Y. Vol., which was organized in this county and afterwards stationed at Falls Church, Va., where he joined them after enlistment. While on picket duty near Warrington, Va., June 20, 1862, he was wounded in the left hand by a spent ball, which resulted in the loss of three fingers, on account of which he now receives a pension. Mr. Scott has two children, viz.: Byron N., who is engaged with his father in the mercantile business in the village of Black River, and Nellie E., who resides with her parents.
Emerson H. Scott, son of Thomas H. and Betsey (Middleton) Scott, was born in this town May 29, 1837. His father came here from Massachusetts with his parents in 1819 and two years later purchased the farm where Emerson H. was born and reared. Mr. Scott was educated at the district schools. In August, 1862, at the age of 25 years, he enlisted in Co. I, 35th N.Y. Vols., and on the discharge of that regiment from the service the following April he was transfered to the 20th N.Y.S.M., and on the 12th of September, 1864, was discharged from the service on the account of disability caused by chronic disease. He participated in the battles of South Mountain, Antietam, Mine Run, and Gettysburg, in the latter of which he was wounded in the right fore-arm, and receives a pension. After his return from the war he married Celia, daughter of Francis Plant, of Michigan, and they have one child, Francis E. Mr. Scott's father, at the age of 79 years, resides with him on the homestead.
Reuben Scott removed from Massachusetts to Rutland, and located in Rutland Hollow on the farm now owned by Peter Pohl, where he died about 1803. He had born to him 14 children. Sewell Scott, son of Reuben, was born in this town. He married Olive Carpenter and settled on a farm adjoining the old homestead. He afterwards bought the homestead where he resided until his death. He had born to him seven children. R.B. Scott, son of Sewell, enlisted in Co.D, 10th N.Y.H.A., and served with the regiment until it was mustered out, and was wounded in battle. He married Libbie Crowner, and now resides in the village of Tylerville.
Noah Seaman came with his mother from Otsego County and located in Rodman, in 1807. He came to Rutland in 1813, when about 20 years of age, and located on the place now owned by Henry Walker, where he resided until 1862, when he removed to road 83, and resided with his son S.G. until his death, in 1882. He married Dorcas Jeffers in 1819, and they had six children, of whom S.G. is the only one now living in this town. S.G. Seaman married Juliette, daughter of John Armstrong, by whom he has six sons and one daughter.
Hezekiah Smith, son of Abraham, came to Rutland from Salisbury, Herkimer County, in 1834. In 1829 he married Nancy Bidleman, by whom he had three sons--William O., of Watertown, H.L., who died at the age of 22 years, and George W. The latter, who was born in 1840, married Janette A., daughter of William Oakes, of Brownville, in 1862, and settled in the old homestead farm, where he has since resided. He is a prominent man in the town, and served from supervisor from 1876 to 1879. He has two sons, Herbert L., a physician in Rodman, and Lyle O., who resides with his parents.
William Smith, son of Eli, of Old Hadley, Mass., located in Copenhagen, Lewis County, in 1840, and in 1844 married Lura T., daughter of Charles and Abigail Fuller, of Rutland, and located in Felt's Mills, where he engaged in shoemaking. He died in 1871. His widow survives and resides at Felt's Mills.
John Southworth, a native of Montpelier, Vt., located in Rutland in 1801. About 1802 or 1803 he married Bashaba, daughter of William Howland, and settled on road 27, where he took up a tract of land, which he cleared, and worked at the carpenters' trade. He lived in this town the greater part of his life, dying at the residence of his son William. He had born to him one son and eight daughters. William Southworth, son of John, was born October 23, 1816. He married Ortance Devois, of Wilna, April 4, 1854, and settled on the farm he now occupies. He served the town as supervisor three years, was assessor nine years and road commissioner three years. He worked at the carpenters' trade 20 years, and is now a farmer.
John Stebbins, a native of Massachusetts, removed from Bridgewater, Oneida County, to Rutland, about 1806. He brought his family here with an ox-team, and settled on the farm now owned by his grandson, John Stebbins, where he resided until his death. He had four children, Samuel, Harley, Clymena, and Lyman. Lyman married Elizabeth Murray, and settled on the farm now occupied by his son Harley, where he died in 1886. He also had four children, Ella, Anna E., Harley A., and John.
Gideon Trembley came from Canada to Watertown, and thence to Rutland about 1860, locating where he now resides. He married Matilda Wood, and they have seven children, namely: Joe, Orvis, Solomon, Mary, Levi, George, and Fred. He is a blacksmith, and resides in the village of Tylerville.
John B. Visscher, son of William B., and grandson of Col. Frederick Visscher, of Revolutionary fame, who was afterwards judge in Montgomery County, was born in Fairfield, Herkimer County, in 1826. In 1851 he married Lydia, daughter of Jerry Rowley, of Fort Plain, and located in Lowville, where he resided until 1869, when he removed to Tylerville, and was engaged in merchantile pursuits there for 15 years. He was postmaster at Tylerville (South Rutland p.o.) for 14 years, was also notary public, and is now a justice of the peace. In 1886 he removed to the farm he now occupies. His children are Charles H., who married Kate I., daughter of Sylvester Kellogg, and resides in this town; E.B., of Watertown; and Carrie A. (Mrs. Oscar L. Oakes); also of Watertown.
Lathrop Way, son Azariah and Grace (Douglass) Way, was born in New London , Mass., in 1794, and came to this town in 1817, where he purchased of Elder Johnson a farm in the southwest part of the town, on which little, if any, improvements had been made. At the age of 29 Mr. Way married Deborah Randall of Rutland. He worked at the carpenters' trade for several years, when he went to live with his father for the purpose of carrying on the farm. After his father's death, which occurred in the fall of 1851, he purchased the homestead of the heirs, and here resided until his death, in 1875. Mr. Way had three children, viz,: Clark, born 1827, died 1860; Jane M., born 1829, died 1848; and Daniel W., born May 18, 1834, who now owns and occupies the old homestead. Azariah Way was a pioneer preacher of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and did much toward building up that denomination in the early days. He also worked at the coopers' trade and did shoemaking for the early settlers. Lathrop Way belonged to the Masonic fraternity, and was a member of the Watertown lodge at the time of his death.
Joel Woodworth came from Connecticut and located in Watertown about 1810, and settled on the farm now owned by Elizabeth Woodworth. He also engaged in the manufacture of fanning mills, and did surveying for the early settlers. He served as supervisor and assessor, and was defeated as a candidate for member of Assembly on the Democratic ticket. He married Catherine Dennie an they had seven children, of whom Henry, the only survivor, resides on a farm in this town, on road 28.
Isaac Youngs came from Canada to Jefferson County about 1831, and located in Rodman, where he engaged in farming. He reared a family of 14 children. His son William H. was a member of the 14th Regt. N.Y.H.A., and was killed at Petersburg by a sharpshooter. Richard Youngs, son of Isaac, was born in 1838. November 10, 1861, he enlisted in Co.A, 94th Regt. N.Y. Vols., and was with the regiment in the battles of Cedar Mountian, Rappahannock Station, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, White Oak Swamp, Mine Run, Weldon Railroad, Six Mile Run, Poplar Springs Church, Hutcher's Run, Dabney's Mills, Quaker Road, Billfield Raid, and Gravelly Run. After his discharge, July 26, 1865, he returned to Tylerville, where he now resides. December 24, 1861, he married Lydia A., daughter of Edmund Wright, of Rodman, by whom he has six children, Amanda A., William V., Charles E., Allie E., Franklin I., and Katie L.
Return to Child's Jefferson County Gazetteer
Return to Town of Rutland
Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page