The following family group descriptions are adapted from Hamilton Child's "Gazetteer of Jefferson County, N.Y.", published in 1890. The families are arranged alphabetically by township, and wherever possible, a link has been made to a Jefferson County Pioneer. We welcome any corrections and additions to the information presented.
This project has only been made possible through the efforts of several volunteers, directed by Shirley Farone, who has been a behind-the-scenes participant in this website from the very beginning. The original idea came from Sharon Patchett, who is also giving her time to the project. Sisters Marcia Alary and Barbara Britt, both of whom have been volunteering on other projects for the website, are also working on this. Gary Roe was one of the first to get his work in. We are grateful to each of them for making this material so easily available. More volunteers have made contributions as the task proceeded. Sharon Lagendyk's work has been extremely accurate and timely. Mark Wentling has undertaken a special project connected with the gazetteer. Eleanor Burrows here in Jefferson County, and Melinda Cornwell in Alaska are our newest volunteers.
Note: In this file, the highlighted name clicks will take you to the pioneer group sheet associated with the name.
Samuel Adams was born in Jaffrey, N.H. After the close of the War of 1812, in which he did faithful service for his country, he bought a farm in Watertown, and here resided several years, dying December 18, 1854. He married, first, Sallie Wright, and second, Eliza Larned. By his first wife he had five children, two of whom survive, Artemas, who occupies the homestead farm, and Israel. Israel Adams was born upon the old farm, November 12, 1818. He married Harriet Boynton and they have a daughter, Hattie M. (Mrs. Warren B. Wheeler). A son, George S., was born to them, and died at the age of two years and five months.
Sanford Babcock came from Oneida County, and located in Adams about 1820, settling on a farm near Adams village. He married, first, Hannah Davis, by whom he had three children, and second, Lovina Penny, who bore him seven children. Elias, son of Sanford, was born in Adams, June 17, 1825. He married Malissa Wood, and they had two children, Lamont M., and Eugene H. Lamont M. married Amelia Harrington, and they have five children. He has resided in Watertown since 1885. In 1888 he was elected alderman of the second district of the First Ward, for two years.
Abner W. Baker, son of Artemas, was born in Theresa. He married Mary A. Cronkhite and they had one son, George I. Mr. Baker was elected sheriff of Jefferson County in 1858, and held that office three years. He then was employed as general baggagemaster for R. W. and O. R. R. until 1882, when he removed to Gary, Dakota, bought a large farm, and engaged in stock growing. He died May 11, 1888. His widow and only son, George L., reside in Watertown.
Rev. Gardner Baker was born in Minden, N. Y., September 11, 1802. He was a Methodist clergyman and preached for 50 years, and was presiding elder for 35 years. He married Esther Scott, of Lowville, and they had five children. He died at Thousand Island Park in 1877, and the Black River Conference has endowed a chair in Syracuse University known as the Gardener Baker professorship. His widow survives and resides with her daughter, Mrs. G. H. Tallett. She was born Oct. 8 1807 and June 10, 1877, celebrated their golden wedding. Mr. Baker's death was the first to occur at that place after the organization of Thousand Island Park.
Henry C. Baldwin settled in Antwerp about 1808, on a farm one-half mile south of Antwerp village, where he followed the dual occupation of carpenter and farmer. He had six children, four of whom are living. David W. Baldwin, son of Henry C., was born September 2, 1816, and when 13 years of age entered a store in Antwerp, where he clerked three years, and the next three years were spent in the land office of George Parish, in that village. He then removed to Rossie, St. Lawrence County, where he resided 27 years. About 1858 he came to Watertown, where he was employed in a machine shop until the close of the war. He was then for several years secretary and treasurer of the Portable Steam Engine Co., of company he has been a director since its organization. At one time Mr. Baldwin owned five cheese factories, and now owns two in Antwerp. He served two years as supervisor, and is now assistant superintendent of public instruction. He married Laura Merriman and they have two children living, Henry L., of Chicago, and Elizabeth (Mrs. Charles R. Skinner), of Albany.
Philip Baron emigrated from Berne, Switzerland, June 19, 1847, and settled in Alpine, a Lewis County, N. Y. In 1849 he went to California, and was afterwards lost at sea on the sailing vessel Sea Serpent, en route for Australia. A. E. Baron, son of Philip, was born in Berne, Switzerland, October 2, 1843, and came to America with his parents in 1847. During the late war he was with the army as photographer for one year. In 1866 he came to Watertown, was clerk in a dry goods store here for eight years and in New York city one year. In the spring of 1819 he located at 122, 124, 126, 128, and 130 Court street, where he conducted a shoe store, a grocery, meat market, flour and feed store, and woodyard. He continued the business until August 20, 1888. He built the Baron block, where his business was located. In 1875 he married Josephine Rivet, and they have three children.
Hiram Becker came to Watertown from Rochester, N. Y. about 1849. Previous to that time he had sold nursery stock for Ellwanger & Barry, thus obtaining a thorough knowledge of the business. He established the Jefferson County nurseries, the only extensive ones ever in this county. He was superintendent of the laying out of Brookside cemetery, and put out most of the shrubbery and ornamental trees in this city. He also did an extensive business in that line outside of this county. He died in 1865. Six of his children reside in this city. Henry J. Becker, son of Hiram, was born in Rochester, February 22, 1843. He married Ella Lawrence, of Weedsport, N. Y., and they leave two children, Charles A. and Leo H. He is a decorative artist in fresco and paper, and ornamental designer of ceilings. He learned his trade in New York city, and does an extensive business in Northern New York. Specimens of his work may be seen in many of the finest residences in Watertown.
John A. Bell was born in Ontario, Canada, August 24, 1856. In 1880 he graduated from the Ontario Veterinary College of Toronto, and the same year located in Watertown. In 1885 he was appointed state veterinarian, which position he now holds.
Peter Bergevin, son of Charles and Emmilie (Premeau) Bergevin, was born in St. Martin, Canada December 9, 1842. At the age of eight years he came to Jefferson County, and when 12 years old commenced work for his own support. Previous to 1871 be was a farmer and cheesemaker. In December 1871, he opened a livery stable on Arcade street, which he continued two and one-half years. In 1879 he again opened a livery stable here, which he now continues. November 27, 1871, Mr. Bergevin married Sarah J. Becker, of Natural Bridge, and they have four children
Dr. John Binsse, of French parentage, was born in New York city, November 14, 1808. He was educated at the Bancel Lyceum, in New York, and graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons in that city, with high honors. He practiced his profession in his native city until 1837, and in 1838 located in Watertown, where he had charge of the Lafarge estate. He died January 7, 1879. In 1844 he married Anna M. Balligere, and they had four sons and two daughters. Dr. Binsse was a very highly educated man. His widow survives and resides in this city.
Stephen Boon was born in Manchester, Vt., in 1804, and in 1819 he settled in Watertown. He married Mary A. Wilcox and they had three sons and one daughter. Mr. Boon is largely interested in real estate and owns about 40 houses in this city. In 1836 he leased the Newell brewery, and for four years was engaged in the manufacture of beer. He built the City Hotel and for 10 years was a director of the old Union Bank. In 1856, in company with other persons, he organized the Quincy Bank, of Quincy, Ill., and was president of that institution in 1860 and 1861, since which time he has been engaged in building houses and looking after his real estate interests. He owns more houses in this city than any other one person.
Roswell Bosworth, from Massachusetts, settled near Smithville, in the town of Adams, about 1811. He was farmer, and a deacon of the Congregational church. He had eight children. Reuben S., son of Roswell, was born in 1819, and was educated in the Black River Literary and Religious Institute. Mr. Bosworth has been a lecturer on natural science, was a teacher in the Farmers College near Cincinnati 10 years, in the Normal School in Terre Haute, Ind., one year, in the Watertown High School and in the Adams Collegiate Institute several years. President Harrison was one of his pupils of Terre Haute. Prof. Bosworth married Pamelia B. Lord, of Brownville. He is now a manufacturer of telescopes.
Hon. Beman Brockway, son of Gideon and Nancy
(Williams) Brockway, was born in Southampton, Mass., April 15,1815. He
descends from Wolston Brockway, who, December 3, I659, "bought housing
and land of John Reynolds," in Lyme, Connecticut, and became a permanent
settler, and a man of consideration and substance. The line of descent is
Wolston, William, William, Gideon, Isaiah, Gideon, Beman. He also has
kinship with the Bridges, Pratt, Comstock, Beman, and Williams families, all
conspicuous in New England history.
Coming thus of sturdy New England stock, and of parents who inherited honesty, industry, and self-reliance, and transmitted it unweakened to their children, his home surroundings were most admirably calculated to give a good "fitting-out" for a life of respectability and usefulness. Gideon Brockway was a farmer in an obscure part of an isolated town; a man of rigid integrity, unyielding will, advanced and liberal ideas; hard-working, and, after the New England manner, a great reader and independent thinker; a Democrat and an Universalist. He was athletic and vigorous. Mrs. Brockway, a woman of loving heart and Christian principle, "lived solely to make her friends happy."
In the home circle, and not from school education, did Beman Brockway acquire the character and habits which have been-the foundation of his success; and in the rough, hard labor of the farm was formed that strong physique which has sustained him in his long life's able work. Three summers and three winters in the "backwoods " district school was all the "education" he received. A natural student, however, he seized every opportunity of adding to his store of knowledge. From a very early age his aspiration was to be a "printer"; and, In I830, he answered an advertisement for an apprentice to the printing trade, and from that time to the present this has been his vocation, and every grade and position has been thoroughly mastered and successfully occupied. In 1833 he came to this state, and, in the spring of 1834, became a journeyman in the Fredonia Censor office. The next fall, while on a visit to New York city, he formed the acquaintance of Horace Greeley, then conducting the New Yorker. The Democratic leaders of Chautauqua, about this time, established the Mayville Sentinel and Mr. Brockway, whose sympathies were strongly Democratic, secured a position in the office and aided in getting out the first number. In a short time he became publisher. He was then 19 years old. Much of the editorial work devolved on him, but Judge Osborne, an able writer, wrote the political articles. This arrangement continued two years, when the owners of the paper, to reward the diligence with which Mr. Brockway had applied himself to their interests, proposed that he become the proprietor. He accepted the offer. He now had to be his own editor, and it was a great responsibility to the young man, as he considered himself indifferently qualified in education, experience, or culture. But his practical common sense came to his aid. He "wrote only what he felt compelled to write, said what necessity seemed to require in the fewest possible words, and stopped when he was through." His articles were approved, and his conduct of the Sentinel met with success. He remained 10 years in Mayville, then sold the office and shortly after purchased the Oswego Palladium, taking possession in June, 1845. In I852 he established the Daily Palladium. In the spring of 1853 he sold the paper, removed to Pulaski, and took charge of the Democrat until October, when he was offered and accepted an editorial position on the New York Tribune. This paper then presented a rare array of talent, and was in its palmiest days. The "chief" was Horace Greeley; the managing editor Charles A. Dana; associates, James S. Pike, William H. Fry, George Ripley, George M. Snow, Bayard Taylor, F. J. Ottarson, William Newman, Beman Brockway, Solon Robinson, and Donald C. Henderson. With this brainy corps of associates, and in this congenial society, Mr. Brockway passed two years as day editor and general writer for the Tribune. His terse, rugged style was in harmony with the strength displayed in its columns, and had circumstances favored his longer stay he would doubtless have become one of the leading editorial writers of the nation.
His wife dying, Mr. Brockway, in I855, returned to Pulaski, where he could better oversee the education of his children. Here he purchased flouring-mills, which he conducted for three years. In 1859 he represented his district in the legislature, there introducing and becoming the father of the first registry law of the state. During these years he made valuable contributions to the Tribune, Troy Times, Albany Journal, etc. One article published in August, I859, in Hunt's Magazine, on " Our Canals and Railroads," attracted much attention from the leading men, was copied extensively by the press, and demonstrated that he was not only an able financier, but a far seeing statesman. In the spring of 1860 he purchased an interest in the Watertown Reformer. From this time he has been connected with this journal and the Daily Times, which was established in 1861. The anti-slavery sentiments of Mr. Brockway had brought him into communion and fellowship with the Republican party at its formation, and he gave his ablest utterances in its service. Strong personal friendship for Reuben E. Fenton did not tend to relax his efforts for the party in the campaign which made that gentleman governor, and his great knowledge of political affairs and men of the state caused Governor Fenton to select him for his private secretary and confidential adviser. In April, I865, he was appointed canal appraiser and continued in office until January, I870.
Mr. Brockway's loyalty to his old friend Greeley attached him to the Liberal Republicans during the campaign of 1872, and he accepted the nomination for member of Congress tendered him by that party, although it was evident that a "Greeley man" stood no chance of an election. He received I2,899 votes, and was much gratified by such an endorsement, and he considers that in supporting Mr. Greeley he did not deviate from true Republicanism.
In May, I870, the firm of Ingalls, Brockway & Skinner was formed to conduct the Times and Reformer, and for general printing. In I873 the interest of Mr. Ingalls passed to Mr. Brockway, and the next year he became sole proprietor. In 1880 his sons were associated with him, and the firm became as now--Brockway & Sons. In its new building, with its model equipment and arrangement, the Times office has no superior. Mr. Brockway is one of the oldest and ablest editors in the state; he has had more than half a century's experience, and enjoys the esteem and veneration of the fraternity. He has ever been very careful in his statements; has always clothed his ideas in words intelligible to any ordinary mind; and has never been charged with ambiguity, nor could his readers ever be in doubt concerning his positions. He has spoken his thoughts in an original, simple, and concise manner; going directly to the pith of the subject in a way peculiarly his own. His writings have been filled with thought, and impressed with their power both friend and foe. He has always been Industrious, economical, energetic, and, although tenacious of his rights, carefully respects those of others. As a mere boy, in a strong opposition county and a small country village, he made the Mayville Sentinel the acknowledged Ieading paper of the county. In Oswego he found the Palladium weak and declining, infused into it vigor and life, and soon made it a "paying" sheet and an oracle in the section. It is not too much to say that but for his energy, common sense, and business principles the Times would have long since ended its career, and that his sagacity, push, and practical ability have made it the power in journalism it is today. His business has been the object of his efforts, and he has proven himself a successful "newspaper man " in every sense of the word. Honors have come to him, but always unsought, and their accompanying duties have been conscientiously discharged. He is interested in all matters tending to elevate and improve humanity, and liberally contributes to their advancement; he has done good service in the causes of education and historical research, and has been president of the Jefferson County Historical Society from its organization. His connection with Odd Fellowship began in I846, and from that time he has been an active member. He was district deputy of Oswego County for several years, and has been frequently, and now is, a member of the Grand Lodge. Mr. Brockway is a forceful and effective speaker. His lectures are original, spicy, and valuable. On the platform he attracts attention by the vigor of his presentation and logical reasoning. His love of fun and dry jokes comes out to relieve both his spoken and written arguments.
Mr. Brockway has been twice married, first, May 23, I837, to Elizabeth Allen Warner, who died September 10, I854. Their children are Jefferson Warner, Elizabeth Gertrude (Mrs. H. L. Lamb), of Lansingburgh, and Henry Allen. October 22, 2855, he married Sarah Warner Wright, a cousin of his first wife, and, like her, a niece of the celebrated Professor Warner, of Amherst College, Mass.
Mr. Brockway possesses a strong personality. A man of the people, he resembles Abraham Lincoln in many parts of his make-up; and, like him, has a way of his own for whatever he does, great persistency, untiring energy, a rare insight into character and motives, and is quick in drawing inferences. He is straightforward, not serpentine, in his methods, and tells the truth as he sees it, let it hit where it may. His standard of honor and truthfulness is high, and duplicity and deceit are abhorrent to him. His nature, sometimes apparently brusque, is kindly and sympathetic, and he makes friends with congenial natures readily, and does not relinquish them easily. His life has done credit to the family name, and we trust his vigorous pen may push its pungent truths home to his readers for long years to come.
Nelson Burdick, son of Adam was born in Lyme, December 28, 1820. In 1867 he came to Watertown and engaged in manufacturing, and in 1870, with M. Horton, he commenced the manufacture of carriages and wagons at his present location. In 1874 Mr. Horton retired from the firm, and M. Burdick continued continued the business alone until 1877, when he took his son, W. W. Burdick, as partner. Mr. Burdick was mayor of this city in 1882-83. He married, first, Catharine Getman, and second, Delia Getman, and has five children living, namely: W. W., Jesse D., Alfred M., Dora B., and Rose A.
Alexander Campbell emigrated from Scotland and located in New York city about 1825, subsequently locating near Amsterdam, N.Y . Peter Campbell, son of Alexander, was born Montgomery County in 1834, and when nine years of age located with his mother in Pamelia. He married Philena C. Watson and they have five children living. James B. Campbell, brother of Peter, enlisted as captain in the 10th N. Y. H. A., was promoted to major, and was mustered out as lieutenant-colonel. Alexander, another brother, was a merchant in Watertown for many years, and another, Ebenezer, resides in Alexandria Bay.
James Cavanaugh, a native of Ireland, came to America when about 25 years of age, and first located in Montreal, where he worked at his trade of hatter. In 1828 or '29 he located in Watertown. He married Mary Rhukins and they had six children, three of whom survive namely: Olymphia, of this city; Eliza (Mrs. James Short), of Sterlingville; and May Ann of New York city. Miss Olymphia Cavanaugh claims to have the finest collection of fossils in Jefferson County.
Samuel J. Clark was born in Prince Edward, Canada, April 4, 1840, and in 1858 he settled in Watertown. He was a fireman for two years on the R. W. & O. R. R., and was engineer and conductor for 18 years. He was street commissioner in 1885 and '86, and was superintendent of Thousand Island Park in 1888. He married Margaret Fisher and has four sons and one daughter.
Alfred Coolidge was born in Nelson, Madison County, March 7, 1800. February 27. 1819, he removed to Philadelphia, and for two years worked upon a farm. In the fall of 1820 he bought his time of his father, for which he paid $100, and took up 50 acres of wilderness land, upon which he cut the first tree, and made a clearing the same year, and the next year built a log house in which he lived alone for three years, during that time working out among the farmers clearing land. He bought a farm of Joseph Bonaparte, and drove to Bordentown, N. J., with a pair of horses, which he sold to obtain money to pay for the farm. He owned at one time 500 acres of choice land. He served as assessor and overseer of the poor in Philadelphia, and in 1853 located in Watertown, where he now resides, at 38 Clinton street. His sons, Thomas J. and Charles E., carry on the old farm. In 1825 he married Mary, daughter of John Townsend, a Quaker, and they had five sons and one daughter. His wife died March 11, 1889. His daughter, Asenith Carver Coolidge, resides with her father. She has written interesting articles for the newspapers, and in 1888, while in California, contributed to the Pacific Rural Press and other periodicals.
John Dean, a native of Saratoga County, came to Watertown about 1824. He married Polly Wood, of Vermont, and they had six children, only one of whom, Mrs. Clarissa H. Ryther, is now living. Mr. Dean died December 24, 1853, and his wife about 1822.
Frank Denno, a native of France, emigrated to Canada when a young man, and about 1820 married Susan Gessmis. About 1855 he located in Watertown, where he died in 1862. His wife died in 1889. They had 14 children, 10 of whom are living. Frank Denno, Jr., was born in this city June 4, 1837. In 1858 he enlisted in the U. S. navy, under Commodore Holland, and was discharged in 1861. He enlisted in Co. K, 10th N. Y. H. A., served one year, and was discharged from the hospital at Arlington Heights. He was a clerk in the Woodruff House for 23 years. July 13, 1863, he married Louisa King, by whom he has four children, viz.: William, a clerk in the dry goods store of Bush, Bull and Roth, Emma, Fred, and Grace.
Michael Dory was born in Screen, county Meath, Ireland, in 1798, and after attaining maturity worked with his father at blacksmithing until 1828, when he married Bridget, third daughter of Thomas Carbery, of Navan, Ireland. In June of the same year he emigrated to America and settled in Le Raysville, this county where he carried on blacksmithing and wagonmaking for many years. In 1846 he removed to Watertown and located on the south side of Public Square where the Commercial block now stands. He died August 5, 1860, leaving two sons and two daughters namely: James J., Thomas T., Mary A., and Julia C. Thomas succeeded to his father's business. The daughters are the only survivors of this family, and they reside at No. 33 Factory street. Eugene A. Dory, son of James. also resides on Factory street.
William M. Dunlap, son of William, was born in Schoharie County, N. Y., in 1805, and in 1815 or 16 removed with his parents to Rutland. He married Edeny, daughter of Reuben Scott, and they had five children, three of whom are living. He was a farmer, and died June 15, 1886. Harlan P., son of William M., was born in Rutland, January 30, 1838. He married, first Martha Hopkins, by whom he had a daughter, Mary E., and second, Mary Dutton, by whom he has two children, Charles J. and Fannie. Mr. Dunlap was supervisor of Rutland in 1873 and '74. He came to Watertown in 1883, and is a farmer and milk dealer. Martha J., daughter of William M., married Robert M. Francis, and resides in Salida, Col.
Frederick W. Eames was born in Kalamazoo, Mich., in
November, I843. His father, Lorett Eames, was descended from hardy New
England stock, and, like his son, was one of those inventive geniuses who have
done so much to benefit the world. His mother, Miss Lucy C. Morgan, was
the daughter of Rev. Elisha Morgan, a man of marked ability, unusual balance
of judgment, strong convictions, and conscientious devotion. His daughter
inherited these characteristics, and intensified them by increased mental
activity. Miss Morgan was married to Lorett Eames about 1835, and removed
to Kalamazoo, where her husband had already taken up his residence. There
Frederick W. was born, passing his early years in an intelligent Christian
home, and enjoying the superior educational advantages of his native village.
He had scarcely entered upon his college course when the Rebellion began, and
President Lincoln called for volunteers to protect the threatened life of the
nation. The subject of this sketch, then scarcely 18 years of age, was the
second man to enlist in the first company raised in his own town for defense of
the old flag. Captain Charles S. May, who commanded this company, thus
writes of him: " He was one of the gallant and patriotic band of young students
in Kalamazoo College who enlisted in my company, at the very first call to
arms in 1861; and during the time I served as his captain I remember him as a
good and brave soldier, bearing himself gallantly and unflinchingly in the early
battles in which we were engaged; and though but a mere boy in years, always
showing that native energy and shrewdness for which he was afterward
distinguished." He was subsequently mustered out of the Second Michigan
Infantry to accept a lieutenancy in another Michigan regiment. In 1863 he was
honorably discharged by General Grant from this regiment, and appointed aide
in the revenue service and served on the Mississippi until the close of the war.
He was subsequently appointed government detective, and was instrumental in
unearthing and destroying a dangerous gang of counterfeiters in Michigan. In
1870 he was married to Miss Mattie Shilling, of his native state. Two children
were born to them; only the elder, named for his grandfather Lorett, survives.
Mr. Eames seems to have inherited from his father a passion and genius for
invention. His insight of possible mechanism, and his resources in mechanical
devices, was phenomenal, and the difficulties in the way but stimulated his
enthusiasm and augmented his energy. Like an eagle which soars upward on
the very breast of the storm that beats down all feebler birds, he was always at
his best when obstacles were thickest and greatest. His conceptions of the
desired end of an invention were clear and strong; his knowledge of all the
conditions, comprehensive and balanced; the mutual relations of these
conditions clearly seen, all possible complications stripped off, and the end
sought with a persistent grappling with obstacles, and an opulence of resources
which soon made him master of any problem. I know of no man who, in his
peculiar field, was a better illustration of the truth that the shortest distance
between two points is a straight line--simplicity and
efficiency were the two objective points in all his devices. Beside
all the inventions which enter into his power brakes for railroad trains, plain,
automatic, and duplex, he invented an automatic governor and cut-off for
engines of ocean steamers, a steam pump, and a multitude of other mechanical
In perfecting and securing patents for all these inventions in the United States and foreign countries, and in seeking their application to the industrial arts, he repeatedly crossed the ocean, spent months and years in England and on the continent, and did it all handicapped by inadequate capital, financial embarrassment, and costly litigations with powerful antagonists, backed by millions of money, with whom his inventions came into competition. As a man he was loved most by those who knew him best. His friends were ardent, while his enemies feared, sometimes hated, but never despised by him. His whole life was an intense struggle, and therefore the rugged side of his nature was toward the world, but those who shared his confidence knew that no man ever had a more ready appreciation of kindness, a more open hand, or a more open heart than Mr. Eames. It is deeply to be regretted that while defending his rights, and securing his property from those who sought to wrest it from his grasp, his useful life was suddenly terminated by a bullet from a pistol in the hand of a man whom he had befriended. He was thus killed, in the spring of 1883, at the early age of 39 years. What he might have done, if life had been spared, it is impossible to say; but certainly his great genius and indomitable energy gave promise of the largest results.
Warner Failing came to Watertown from Canajoharie in 1832. He kept an hotel (the Failing House) on the north side of the river until 1861. By his first wife, Elizabeth Dunkle, he had six children, and by his second wife, Elizabeth Stansel, nine children. He died October 6, 1864, and his wife May 17, 1863.
Addison M. Farwell has for over 30 years been identified with the manufacturing,, banking, and commercial interests of Watertown. He was born in Sandusky, Ohio, in 1819, and is a son of Lyman and Theodosia (Abbott) Farwell, both of New England. Mr. Farwell began his active business career as foreman of construction of the famous Croton water works of New York city. He was subsequently a contractor in the construction of the Great Western Railway of Canada, completing over 60 miles of the road bed. He was next a contractor in the construction of the water works of Brooklyn, N. Y., and subsequently upon other public enterprises. In 1859 Mr. Farwell came to Watertown, and in association with Frederick Baker established a tannery under the firm name of Farwell & Baker, and this firm continued for 20 years. Their tannery was on Newell street. The firm also was largely engaged in the sale of leather and findings on Public Square. Mr. Farwell conducted the business after the retirement of Mr. Baker until 1888, when he retired from active affairs. He was for 25 years president of the Jefferson County Savings Bank, and is still active in its management, serving on the board of directors. Mr. Farwell has also been a director of the Jefferson County National Bank since 1872, and is serving in the same capacity for the Ontario Paper Co. Mr. Farwell has taken an active interest in all affairs of charity, education, and public improvement, etc. He was united in marriage in 1842 with Miss Mary I. Wright. a native of Lewis County. Two of their children are living, namely: Ella F. wife of N. P. Wardwell, cashier of Watertown National Bank, and Maria F., wife of Edward B. Sterling, secretary and treasurer of the Ontario Paper Co.
Eli Farwell was one of the early settlers of Watertown, coming here from Oneida County about 1820. The house now owned and occupied by his son F. R., at No. 3 Clinton street, was built by Mr. Farwell about 1830. He was a prosperous merchant for many years. He married Margaret Broughton and they had six children, four of whom died in infancy. He died May 27, 1866, and his wife May 19, 1871. Their son William B. died in 1860. Frederick R. Farwell is their only surviving child. He is a member of the firm of Farwell & Rhines, millers, and has been a member of the board of education several years.
Frank A. Fletcher, son of Lewis A., was born in the town of Bennington, N. H., February 23, 1838. At the age of 13 years he was apprenticed to the papermakers' trade at Newburg, N. H. In May, 1861, he enlisted in Co. G. 2d Regt. N. H. Vols., from Antrim, N. H., participated in 18 general engagements, and was discharged in June 1864. In 1868 he located in Newark, Delaware, where he had charge of a paper-mill until 1873. In 1874 he came to Watertown and entered the employ of Knowlton Brothers, as superintendent, and continued with this firm until 1885. In 1888, in company with Ida A. Fletcher, F. X. Zapf, and E. H. Thompson, he purchased the Great Bend paper-mills of L. H. Mills & Co., and is now president of that company. In 1868 Mr. Fletcher married Ida La Due, of Newburg, N.Y., and they have four children, Flora J., Nettie F., Frank H., and Bessie M.
Frank C. Fox was born in Cape Vincent, June 29, 1853. In April, 1878, be came to Watertown and clerked for two or three years, and in 1881 opened a clothing store at 14 Court street, which he continued about five years, when he bought an interest in a ranch in Idaho. September 17, 1887, he was thrown from his horse and killed. He married Rose Walrath and they had two children, Hattie and Winfield. His widow and children survive him and reside in this city.
Oscar A. Freeman, son of Jedediah, was born in Adams in 1840. He married Betsey G. Millard and they have two children. In 1870 he located in Watertown and was foreman of the inspecting room of the Davis Sewing Machine Co. for 18 years. In April, 1888, he took charge of the Jefferson County Orphan Asylum. Jedediah, son of Rev. Joshua Freeman, was born in the town of Ellisburg in 1809. He married, first, Fanny Oatman, by whom he had five children, and second, Mary Carley, by who he had three children. He was station agent in Adams 12 years, and was also a produce dealer. He died in 1873. His father, Joshua, was a Baptist clergyman, and preached for 20 years in Adams and in Belleville 12 years.
Simeon Gale was one of the pioneer settlers of Brownville, to which town he removed from Vermont. He followed the honorable occupation of farming. He had six children -- two sons and four daughters -- three of whom are living. His daughter, Lydia J., is the widow of W. H. Fowler, and resides in Watertown. W. H. Fowler was born in Brownville December 1, 1819 and was a farmer. He enlisted in Co. H, IOth N. Y. H. A., served one and one-half years and was honorably discharged. He died October 10, 1886. Of his four children, Edward W. and Ada M. are living.
Jean Francois Gegoux, a native of Baccaret, France, came to America about 1820. He was a college graduate, and for a few years taught French in New York city, subsequently locating in Montreal. Theodore Gegoux, son of Jean Francois, was born in Beauharnois, Canada, in 1850. In 1874 he commenced portrait painting, never having had the advantages of a teacher, and after four years' work alone, with the money he had accumulated, he was able to take a trip abroad, with the laudable purpose of studying the works of the old masters. He spent several months in Paris, and in 1879 returned to this country, and located in Watertown, where he is considered one of the best oil, pastel, and crayon portrait artists in the city. His studio is at No. 20-1/2 Public Square.
Stephen Gould, from Oneida County, located in Pamelia about 1810. He had 10 children, five sons and five daughters. William C. Gould, son of Stephen, was born December 7, 1826. He married Lodemia Walrath, who bore him two children, and Mary L. Leavit, who bore four children. Mr. Gould now owns the farm upon which his father settled, and for 25 years, resided there. In 1871 he commenced dealing in agricultural implements in a small way, in 1878 he located in Watertown and opened a warehouse at No. 1 Anthony street, where he has since carried on the business. He deals extensively in all kinds of agricultural implements, wind-mills, and boilers for heating dwellings and greenhouses. In 1886 Mr. Gould took his son Will L. into partnership with him, under the firm name of W. C. Gould and Son.
Curtis Goulding was born In Holliston, Mass., August 10, 1776. In 1805 he removed to Eaton, N. Y., and in 1808 settled on a farm at Pamelia Four Corners, where he died July 11, 1857. He had seven children, of whom four are living, two in this county, Madison upon the old homestead, and Amos in this city. Amos Goulding was born May 28, 1816. He married Mary Stuart, of Le Ray, September 19, 1843, was a farmer in that town for 33 years, and served as highway commissioner two years. He has been a resident of Watertown since 1876, and is a member of Arsenal street M. E. Church, of which he has been a trustee seven years and a class leader 13 years. He is also a member of the auditing board of the church. His son William C. was born April 29, 1845 and died March 29, 1846.
Elijah and Sterling Graves removed from East Haddam, Conn., and took up a farm in the then wilderness of Antwerp, in 1820, where they built a log house. Sterling married Ruby Otis, of Rutland, and they had four children, three of whom are living. In 1861 he came to Watertown, where he died September 16, 1881. His wife died May 3, 1859. Otis S. Graves, son of Sterling, was born in Antwerp. He married, first, Hattie Manley, by whom he had two children, and second, Martha P. Dewey, by whom he has one child. Mr. Graves was in Middleton (Conn.) Univeristy two years, studying for the ministry, but on account of poor health was obliged to abandon his studies. He was for three years a teacher in Gouverneur Seminary, and is now a farmer.
John D. Greenleaf, son of Dr. Christopher Greenleaf, was born in Vermont in 1803, and when quite young removed with his father to Smithville, N. Y., and a few years later settled in La Fargeville. When 20 years of age Mr. Greenleaf removed to Clayton (then French Creek), and for a short time was a clerk in the store of W. H. Angel. He then engaged with Merick & Smith, as clerk, and had charge of their lumber business in Quebec, being employed by them for nearly 20 years. He then returned to La Fargeville, and there remained until 1857, when he located in Seneca, Ontario County, where he still resides. He married Julia Truesdell, of Quebec, and they had seven children, only one of whom, Louis C. resides in this county. Louis C. Greenleaf was born in La Fargeville, November 23, 1840, whence he removed to Ontario County, and in 1860 located in Watertown, where he was engaged in the county clerk's office for one year. He enlisted in Co. A, 35th N. Y. Vols., and was with the first company that left Watertown for the battlefields in the sunny South. He served two years, and then entered the provost-marshal's office in this city, where he remained until the close of the war. He married Lorra Cornelia Shaffer, and they have two children, Josephine A. and Lydia C. After the discontinuance of the office provost- marshal Mr. Greenleaf was discount clerk in the Jefferson County Bank for two years, when he entered the Merchants' Bank as teller and assistant cashier, which position he ably filled for four years. In March, 1872, in company with C. W. Sloat, under the firm name of Sloat & Greenleaf, he engaged in the lumber business, and the firm is now one of the most extensive in this city. Mr. Greenleaf has always been prominently identified with the interests of Watertown. He was the first city treasurer, which office he held two years, was county treasurer two terms, supervisor of the Second Ward several years, and is now a member of the board of education. He was captain of the state militia, and was mustered out as major.
George J. Grennell, son of Heman, was born in Adams, June 12, 1828. He married Flavilla Phillips, by whom he had two children, William R. and Charlotte A. He was a bookkeeper, and died February 6, 1884. His widow and children reside in Watertown.
John Grunison was born in Switzerland in 1846. He came to America in 1855, and has since been a resident of Watertown. For 23 years he was employed by F. X. Baumert, of New York city, in making cheese. He married Jennie Richardson, and they have three children, Nelson, Byron, and Burt.
Peter Haas was born in the city of Hobilgheim, Hesse- Darmstadt, Germany, whence he emigrated to this country, and in 1830 settled in Watertown. He was a brewer and carried on that business here for 38 years. He married Nancy Failing and they had six sons and six daughters. He died in 1868. His widow and four children are now residents of this city.
Oscar P. Hadcock was born in Harrisburg, Lewis County, in 1838. He was a school teacher for 10 years and also a farmer. In 1870 he bought a hardware store in Copenhagen, which he carried on for six years, and then engaged in banking for one year. He was a clerk in the Assembly in 1880. He then located in Watertown, where he has since resided. He was secretary of Jefferson County Agricultural Society three years, was alderman of the Second Ward in 1888, and has been treasurer of Thousand Island Park Association three years. He married Martha, daughter of Benjamin Fassett, of Rodman, and they have a son, Wayne H.
Eli Hamlin was born in New Castle, Canada, in 1809, and when 18 years of age removed to Rochester, N. Y., subsequently locating in Skaneateles. In 1830 he came to this city, and since 1865 or '66 has been engaged in carriage manufacturing at 53 Factory street, where he gives employment to from five to seven men. He married Minerva Putnam, of Ellisburgh, and they have had three children, Mary A., James Monroe, and De Witt C. The latter was killed at the battle of Gettysburg. Mary A. and James M. reside with their parents in this city.
William Hannahs was born in Ireland in 1819. His parents were Protestants and they came to America when William was a child. He settled in Watertown about 1842. Her married Elizabeth Avery and they had eight children, four of whom are now living. Mr. Hannahs was a farmer, and died December 9, 1871. His widow and three daughters, Sarah, Anna M., and Susie S., reside in Watertown, and a son, George, resides in Adams and is cashier of the Adams National Bank.
Morgan L. Harris was born in Champion in 1804. He married Jane Ann Roff, of Schoharie county, who was born in 1814 and died in 1852. They had eight children, seven of whom survive. Mr. Harris was proprietor of a Stage line from Albany to Schenectady, kept hotel in Schenectady, and also a hotel and livery stable in Canajoharie. He served as member of Assembly from Montgomery County. In 1854 he removed to New York city, where he kept the Chaumont House, and in 1856 was elected alderman, serving four years. He was United States weigher and assessor several years, collector of internal revenue in the 8th N.Y. district in 1865, was a prominent Democratic politician, and still resides in New York city. Frank W. Harris, son of Morgan L., was born 13, 1835. He married Eliza T. White. In 1861 he was assistant superintendent of the street cleaning department of New York city, was special deputy sheriff of that city in 1863, was clerk in the surrogate's office a number of years, and in 1865 was deputy collector of internal revenue. He kept an hotel at Greenwood Lake one year. In company with I. E. White he built the Wallabout docks in Brooklyn, and they were the first to cut piles under water with a steam saw. They did the blasting on the Brooklyn side for the Brooklyn bridge. He was a contractor and builder until 1873, when he came to Watertown and bought the Fred Schram livery stables, which were established in 1844. Mr. Harris keeps from 12 to 14 horses.
Vincent L. Hart, son of A. W., was born in Lorraine in 1838. He came to Watertown in 1866, and for five years was employed as clerk for Rowe & Sons. Since 1871 he has been proprietor of a grocery. In the fall of 1888 he built a new store at 47-1/2 Stone street, where he carries a full line of groceries, provisions, drugs, and medicines.
Elisha Harvey came to Watertown from Connecticut about 1826, and here followed the occupation of carpenter and joiner. He married Esther Rogers, of this city, and they had two sons and two daughters. In 1832 he located at No. 8 Mechanic street, in the house now owned by his son Valmer R. He died March 12, 1874, and his wife March 22, 1880. Valmer R. Harvey, the only surviving son of Elisha, was born March 18, 1834, in the house where he now lives. He married Amarella Harvey, widow of his brother Ervin P. They have no children. Mr. Harvey is a sash and blind manufacturer.
Desrah J. Hewitt was horn in Denmark, N.Y., in 1843. August 17, 1863, he enlisted in Co. E, 20th N.Y. Cav., and was mustered out July 20, 1865. In 1866 he located in Watertown and married Cornelia J. Rice, by whom he has a son, Dwlght D. Mr. Hewitt is a machinist and millwright, and assisted in putting the machinery in nearly all the mills in Watertown, besides putting up large mills in other localities. Mr. Hewitt was elected aldermen of second district of the Fourth Ward, in 1888, for a term of two years. His wife died March 7, 1889.
Parsons T. Hines was born in Evans Mills, September 7, 1833. He married Alice Cary, of Watertown, and they had two children, Lewis W. and Hattie L., the former of whom died at the age of two years. Mr. Hines was an engineer on the R., W. & O. R. R. for about 14 years, and was superintendent of the city water works 13 years which position he held at the time of his death, October 15, 1879. His widow and only surviving child, Hattie L., reside at 32 Massey street, in this city.
Dr. E. G. Howland was born in the town of Rutland, June 1, 1822. In 1847 he graduated from the Medical College of Woodstock, Vt., and first commenced practice in Martinsburg, N.Y. He was subsequently located in Florence and Knoxville, remaining in the latter place 20 years. In 1872 he opened a drug store in Watertown, and in 1882 was elected alderman of the First Ward. He married Anna M. Webber and they had two children, Charles W. and Cava M. The latter is the wife of David M. Fairchild and resides in Augusta, Oneida county. Dr. Howland died May 16 1882.
Luther Graves Hoyt was born in New Hampshire in 1798, and in 1816 settled in Watertown. He married, first, Susan Mather, by whom he had two children, and second, Alice Wilson. He was a merchant here for many years, and a justice of the peace 24 years. He died February 9, 1879. His widow and one daughter, Lucina (Mrs. Gilderoy Lord), reside in Watertown.
Timothy Hungerford settled at Burrville, in the town of Watertown. Orville, son of Timothy, was born in Farmington, Conn. He married Betsey P. Stanley, and they had three sons and three daughters. He died April 6, 1851, and his wife September 17, 1861. He was a member of Congress two terms, president and cashier of the Jefferson County Bank, president of the R., W. and O. Railroad, and was a prosperous merchant here many years. He was member of the Presbyterian Church, and prominently identified with the business interests of the city.
Horace S. Hunt was born in Coventry, Conn., March 13, 1807, and when a boy he located in Watertown, his parents having died when he was quite young. In 1832 he married Harriet Bailey, of Sangerfield, Oneida County, and second, Esther Van Hooser. He had 10 children by his first wife and three by his second. He was a merchant tailor in this city several years, and for a time was engaged in the same business in Rodman. In 1862 he went West and now resides in St. Paul. Two of his sons, Horace S. and Theodore L., reside in this city, and one, Sanford D., in Alexandria Bay.
Ira Inglehart settled in Ogdensburg before 1812, served in the American navy, and in 1815 removed to Hounsfield. Cornelius W., son of Ira, married Emeline Foote and they had six children. He was a Republican, took an active part in politics, and in 1861 was appointed collector at Sackets Harbor. He was also railroad commissioner for the Sackets Harbor and Carthage R. R. Hiram F. Inglehart, son of C. W., was born in Hounsfield, March 28, 1846. He has been a merchant in Watertown several years, was one of the original stockholders of the Westminster Park, is treasurer of that association, and has been proprietor of the hotel since 1854. In 1888 he was elected alderman of the Fourth Ward. He married Nettie Blodgett and they have six children.
Hon. Willard Ives, whose connections with the
religious, educational, political, and philanthropical institutions of Jefferson
County have made his name familiar throughout Northern New York, was
born in the town of Watertown in I806. His ancestry came from New
England; his father, Dr. Titus, and his mother, Mary (Phelps) Ives, were both
natives of Connecticut, and came to Jefferson County in I801. A brother,
Jotham Ives, had previously, in the fall, located here, and a few years
subsequently the two brothers were joined by a third, Erastus. They located
large tracts of land in the western part of Watertown and, adjoining, in
Hounsfield, where they resided until their deaths. Dr. Titus Ives was a
graduate of medicine, but did not continue the practice to any extent after
coming to Jefferson County. He was quite prominent in local town affairs,
and represented his district in the state legislature in 1829-30.
Willard Ives, our subject, was an only child, receiving a good education for pioneer days, and has always taken a deep interest in religious and educational affairs. He has always followed the avocation of a farmer, and has done much to elevate the standard of agricultural pursuits. Mr. Ives has resided upon his farm (now in the city limits) since I850 and has witnessed the change of his neighborhood from pioneer days to its present advanced position in the progress of the age. In I840 he became a director of the Bank of Watertown, and subsequently became its president. He has also been connected with other banks, and served as president of the Merchants' Bank. In religious affairs he has always been an earnest and efficient member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in I846 was appointed by his conference to represent them at the World's Convention in London, after which he passed some months in observation on the continent. In I848 he was a candidate for Congress, and, notwithstanding the demoralization of his party during that eventful year, came within 300 votes of an election. In 1852 he was elected and served one term.
Mr. Ives is still hearty and vigorous, and enjoying the evening of his life from the results of his own industry and sagacity. He owns 300 acres of superior farming land, all of which now lies within the city limits of Watertown. Although over 80 years of age he still conducts his many business and benevolent affairs. He is the president of the Ives Seminary at Antwerp, which he endowed, and has always contributed largely to its support. He is also president of the Jefferson County Orphan Asylum, of which institution he was one of the instigators and most earnest advocates. He has always been a prominent and earnest worker in the Arsenal street Methodist Episcopal Church and Sunday-school, and was one of the organizers of the Syracuse University, and was also one of the incorporators of the Thousand Island Camp-Meeting Association. He is also a director of the Davis Sewing Machine Co. and the Agricultural Insurance Co.
Mr. Ives has been twice married. His first wife, whose maiden name was Charlotte Winslow, died in I861. His second wife is a native of Oswego County, and her maiden name was Lucina M. Eddy. Her parents were old residents of the town of Philadelphia.
Benjamin Jackman, a native of New Hampshire, located in the town of Philadelphia in 1818, and was a, hotel-keeper there and elsewhere in Jefferson County 55 years. He had four sons and two daughters, two of whom are living, namely Abi S. (Mrs. Seth Strickland) in Mendon, Mich., and Daniel in Watertown. Abi S. Jackman daughter of Daniel was born in Champion, May 29, 1868, and when 16 years of age showed a decided talent for literature and wrote her first book, a Silver Ray. She has since written Evening Star, Golden Sunset, Fatima, a book of essays, and Dreams and Fancies of a Twilight Hour. Benjamin Jackman died in Watertown, September 4, 1889, aged 87 years.
William J. Kells was born in Sunbury, Ontario, Canada, June 23, 1855. In 1878 he located in Watertown, and entered the employ of the Hitchcock Manufacturing Company, and since 1885 has been foreman of their extensive works. He married Alta E. Ayer, and they have a daughter, Effie May.
Thomas M. Kenyon, son of Lodrick, was born in Galway, Saratoga County, December 1842. His father died when Thomas was eight years old, and in 1855 he located in Watertown. In 1862 he enlisted in Co. G, 35th N. Y. Vols. and served two years, and then reenlisted in the 1st N. Y. Vet. Cav., and served to the close of the war. He was the first superintendent of Henry Keep Home, where he has been since that institution was opened. He married Matilda Cooney, of Oswego County.
Joseph Kimball came to Watertown from Massachusetts about 1806. After a few years' residence here he removed to Sackets Harbor and served as an officer in the War of 1812. He was a contractor and builder, had a distillery, and kept a store, and after the close of the war received the contract for building the barracks at Sacket Harbor, where he remained a few years, finally returning to Watertown. He married Prusenda Huntington, of this city. Their son Joseph C. resides here, and has been a directory publisher since 1864.
Stephen Klock, from Montgomery County, located in the town of Lyme in 1835, and there resided until 1859, when he located on Washington street, in this city. He married Anna Bellinger, and they had six children. He died May 30, 1878. His widow and two sons, Morgan and Milton R., reside in Watertown. Morgan Klock was born in Montgomery County, April 13, 1834. He married Catherine J., daughter of Robert C. Baird, and they have three children. He is a farmer and milk dealer, and has resided in Watertown since 1867.
Solomon Knapp came to Watertown from Mohawk about 1842, and died here in 1887. He followed the dual occupation of farmer and blacksmith. E. W. Knapp, son of Solomon, was born in this city in 1847. He married Lois Almy and they have four children, Roy, Henry, Pitt, and Alice. Mr. Knapp is extensively engaged in the manufacture of sash and blinds, in company with Norris Winslow.
Nicholas Lawyer, from Herkimer County, located in Brownville in 1833, where he bought 400 acres of land near Perch River. He was a member of the legislature from Herkimer County in 1831, and previous to that time was sheriff of the county. He married Mary Dillenbeck and they had 11 children, two of whom, Rebecca (Mrs. Judge C. H. Walls) and Luther, reside in this city. Mr. Lawyer died in 1874, and his wife in 1846. Luther Lawyer was born June 13, 1833. He married Elizabeth Cowen, of Brownville, and they have six children. He was postmaster at Perch River during the administration of James Buchanan. Jefferson Lawyer, son of Nicholas, is a farmer in Hounsfield.
John W. Lee was born in Kingston, Canada, April 28, 1837. October 5, 1857, he located in this city and was employed at his trade of blacksmith by E. G. Terry. Ho has been in business for himself for the past 15 years, and for 12 years has been located at 34 Mill street. He married Eliza J. Fisher and they have no children.
Frederick Lepper, from Herkimer County, located in Pamelia about 1805, on the farm now owned by Mrs John P. Allen. He died June 11l, 1813. He had nine children. Jacob C. Lepper, son of Frederick was born August 19,1814. He married Maria Styon and they had three children, all of whom are deceased. He learned the millers' trade when a young man, and has always been engaged in that business. From 1850 to 1861 he was proprietor of the Eagle mills in company with Curtis Partridge. In company with Ira Curtis he bought and rebuilt the Moulton mills and gave them the name of Excelsior mills disposing of his interest one year later. He has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church since 1840, and was a trustee of that church several years. He was a trustee of the village of Watertown, and since its incorporation as a city has served one term as alderman. John F. Lepper, brother of Jacob, also resides in this city.
H. M. Lewis, son of Abel P., was born in Champion in 1842. He was for 20 years leader of the Watertown brass band. He married Maggie Norton, and they have three children, Edith, Harry, and Claude. He has a family orchestra, consisting of himself and three children, and they play each year at Thousand Island Park.
Israel Lewis came to Watertown from Rhode Island when a young man. He located upon a farm in the eastern part of the town and built a cooper shop there, and carried on that business for several years. He married Tammy Wilson, of Watertown, and they had 10 children. He died October 4, 1885, and his wife in May, 1887. Elon Q. Lewis, son of Israel, is a brick manufacturer and resides in this city. Emily, Jennette C. (Mrs. N. M. Olean), and Melora (widow of Oscar Andrus) are children of Israel Lewis and reside in this city.
Charles A Lindner was born in Erfurt, Germany, September 26, 1857, and was educated in the Royal School of Erfurt. After graduating in the school he studied pharmacy, and is now a practical druggist. He came to America in August, 1874. He married Abbey M. Wheley and resides in Watertown.
William Loan, of Scotch parentage, was born in the north of Ireland in 1839, and in 1849 he settled in Watertown. In December, 1861, he enlisted in Co. E, 94th N. Y. Vols., and was in the service three years, four months, and 12 days. He was for seven months incarcerated--in Libby, Belle Isle, and Salisbury prisons and participated in 19 battles. He is a farrier by occupation, is chairman of the relief committee of Joseph Spratt Post. G. A. R., and in 1888 was elected alderman of the Fourth Ward. He married Frances Gibbs and they have six children.
Harry Mann, son of Curtiss, was born in Saratoga, N. Y., in 1798. In 1802 he removed with his parents to Rutland, and in 1827 located in Watertown, where he built the first house on the north side of the river that is still standing. He was quite extensively engaged in the manufacture of lumber, and owned a saw-mill. April 21, 1831, he married Mary S., daughter of John Stores, who was born June 25, 1810, and now resides in this city. Mr. Mann died October 18, 1882. They had six children, namely: Sarah A., William H., John C., and Mary A., of Nebraska; Charles S., of Milwaukee, Wis.; and Addie M., of Watertown.
Stillman Massey was born in Vermont, April 10, 1800, and came to Watertown with his father, Hart Massey, in 1801. He was a farmer. He married Almira Ingalls and they had two children, one of whom, Sarah A. (Mrs. Timothy Smith), survives, and resides in this city at 221 Arsenal street. Mr. Massey died June 10, 1883. His widow, who was born February 19, 1806, is still living, and resides at the old home, No. 6 Massey avenue.
Pliny Monroe was born in Delhi, Delaware County, in 1804, and when a boy located in South Rutland, where he bought a farm. He married Samatha Ball, and they had four children, three of whom are living. He died in July, 1834, and his wife in May, 1887. Of their children Marcellus resides in Glenwood Springs, Col., and Francelia and M. Clark in Watertown. The latter was born in Rutland, May 6, 1831. He married, first, Janette Miller, who bore him three children, and second, Sarah, widow of H. H. Hungerford. His only surviving child, Helen E., is the wife of B. R. Mearns, and resides in Rutland. Mr. Monroe located in Watertown in 1879. He is a farmer.
John Mooney, a native of Alsace, emigrated to America and settled in Cape Vincent, where he bought a farm, which in still known as the Mooney farm. He was one of the first settlers of the town, and it is said the only one who had money enough to pay cash for the farm. He had five children. viz.: John, Mary, and Angott, deceased, James, of Galena, Ill., and Mrs. Catherine Vallat, of this city.
Chauncey D. Morgan came to Watertown about 1825, and settled upon a large farm southern part of the town. He was subsequently employed by the R., W. & O. Railroad several years. He was a faithful member of the Presbyterian Church, of which he was deacon a number of years. He had two sons, Homer Bartlett and Lothario Donaldson. He died April 24, 1872, and his wife, Almena Bartlett, August 10, 1877. Homer B. was born May 31, 1827, was a missionary to Turkey, and died at Smyrna, August 25, 1865. His only son, H. H., resides in Chicago. Lothario D. Morgan was born October 15, 1829. He married Evaline M. Manning, and they had two children, only one of whom, Harriet Denora, is living. In 1861 Mr. Morgan enlisted as second lieutenant in the 35th N. Y. Vols. After the war he engaged in the insurance business with Frederick Emerson. He died February 13, 1884. His widow and daughter, Harriet D., reside in this city; at 27 Ten Eyck street.
Henry C. Normander is a large land owner, and for many years was proprietor of the Harris House of Watertown. He was born in Rutland, and is a son of Charles and Lucy (Robertson) Normander. His father came from Canada about 1809, and settled upon a farm in Rutland, where he resided until his death. Henry C. followed agricultural pursuits until he came to Watertown, in 1867. He became proprietor of the Harris House, and conducted it until 1889. He is largely interested in farming interests.
Samuel North was born in Leeds, England, August 24, 1820, and has been a resident of Watertown since 1849, and during the greater part of that time has been foreman of the works of Bagley & Sewall. He owns five houses in this city, and is an industrious and enterprising man. He married Sarah Hope, who was born in Camden, Canada. They have no children.
Rev. Russell A. Olin was born in Potsdam, St. Lawrence County, January 22, 1859. When only 15 years of age he taught a school of 84 pupils, and at the age of 19 entered Brown University, of Rhode Island, and there remained two years. He then taught mathematics in Burlington (N. J.) College for two years, and in 1862 enlisted as a private In the 15th Regiment Pennsylvania Cavalry, receiving his discharge in 1863 on account of poor health. He entered Hobart College in 1863, graduated in 1865, and was valedictorian of his class. He was head master at Devereaux College, Suspension Bridge, two years, was ordained deacon of the Episcopal Church in 1867, and took priest's orders in 1850. He was adjunct professor of Latin and mathematics in Hobart College for one year. July 1, 1868, he assumed charge of St. James's Church in Clinton, Oneida County, and in 1871 took charge of St. John's school at Onondaga County, and in 1873 became rector of the Church of the Messiah at Glens Falls, N. Y. Since February 1881, he has been rector of Trinity church, Watertown, and has been president of the first missionary district of Central New York. He married Lucy Pond Gilbert, daughter of General John S. Gilbert, of Louisiana, havey [sic] and the five children.
Charles M. Paris was born in Lewis County. He began life as a farmer, and was also early engaged as a tanner in Copenhagen. In 1874 he removed to Jefferson County and engaged in farming in Rutland. In 1875 he removed to Watertown, where he engaged in the grocery trade, and subsequently embarked again in the tannery business. His works were located on Fairbanks street, and were carried on by him for a period of over four years. In 1882 Mr. Paris was elected justice of the peace and is still in office.
Augustus J. Peck, son of Rev. Phineas, was born in Lyndon, Vt., September 29, 1808. He came to Watertown in 1831 and opened a store on Public Square. In 1839 he built two stores which were burned in 1849. After the fire he built three stores on Court street and there carried on business about four years. He married Mary Eliza Utley, of Wilbraham, Mass., and they have had four children, three of whom are living and reside in this city, namely: Phineas, Augustus C., and Sarah N., the latter the widow of Edwin Brown.
Lewis C. Pluche came to Jefferson County from France in 1833, first locating in the village of Carthage, where he was employed in Guyot's grist-mill. He subsequently engaged in farming, and in 1849 located on Carleton Island. He married Betsey Ingalls, and they had five children, three of whom are living, J. F. and Hattie A. in this city, and Helen M. (Mrs. H. S. Wallace) in Syracuse. Mr. Pluche invented the first loose-jointed fingar-bar for mowing machines. He died in 1879. His widow survives. J. F. Pluche was born in Cape Vincent, October 6, 1843. In 1863 he removed to Watertown and engaged in house painting, subsequently accepting a position in a machine shop, where he remained four years. In 1883 he commenced business for himself as a pattern and modelmaker, locating at No. 3 Mechanic street. He has invented many useful articles, among which are the adjustable handle crutch, independent hammock supporter, artist's easel, and others. He married Ella Harris, of Brownville.
John C. Rhines came to Jefferson County, from Schenectady, about 1800, and located in the town of Orleans, where he engaged in farming. He married Betsey Paddock, of Vermont, and they had seven children. Mr. Rhines died in 1867, and his wife in 1863. Their son, Foster P., resides in this city and is of the firm of Farnell & Rhines, millers, in which business he has been engaged 30 years. He was alderman of the First Ward in 1887, and is now serving his second term as supervisor.
Rev. Luther Rice was born in Weathersfield, Vt., November 2, 1820. In 1844 he graduated from Lebanon (N. H.) Academy, and the same year was stationed at Chester, Vt., and built the Universalist Church at North Chester. He married Mary Skinner, of Brownville, in 1845. He preached in Ellisburgh seven years, in Springfield, Vt., four years, and in Quincy, Mass., four years. He then returned to Ellisburgh and Henderson, and preached six or seven years. In 1861 he purchased the farm where he has since resided, with the exception of three years spent in Fulton. He has also preached at Natural Bridge and Dexter several years, and in all has been engaged in his holy calling 45 years. He has seven sons and one daughter, and four of his sons are ministers.
William Richey came to Watertown from Franklin County, about 1932. He was a wagonmaker and for two years worked for Roswell Bingham, at Watertown Center. He then bought out Mr. Bingham and engaged in business for himself. He married Eunice, daughter of Abraham Graves, and they had one daughter, Jane E., now the wife of J. G. McClenathan, of Ogden, Mich. Mr. Richey died January 29, 1888. His widow survives and resides at 22 Ives street. She was born on the old Graves farm July 20, 1813.
John T. Ross was born in New Haven, Conn., June 22, 1833, and in 1866 came to Watertown and was employed as clerk in the oyster and fruit store of H. M. Rowe & Co. He served in this capacity until 1879, when he bought the establishment, which he has since carried on in the same location, in Washington Hall block. Mr. Ross married Mary, daughter of Thomas Broadway, of Lewis County, and they have two children, May and Florence S. He has served as alderman one term.
William Rouse, from Utica, located in Clayton in 1815. He was a member of the legislature three years, and a justice of the peace about 20 years. He helped to organize the Jefferson County Agricultural Society, and at some time was its president. He was a deacon of the Freewill Baptist Church and superintendent of its Sunday School for more than 40 years. He died in 1886, aged 93 years. Collins Rouse, brother of William, came on in 1818, and settled on an adjoining farm. He married Dolly Sexton, and they had nine children. He was a successful farmer, and was one of the first six men in Orleans who voted the Abolition ticket. He was a man of influence and ability in the community in which he lived, and was a member of the Freewill Baptist Church. Four of his sons are now successful business men in California. His son George was brigade inspector under General Rosencrans, and was killed by a shell. Abner enlisted at the age of 17 years, and was captured in the battle of the Wilderness and starved to death in Libby prison. Daniel Rouse, brother of William and Collins, was sheriff of Jefferson County, general of state militia, and justice of the peace for many years. The Rouse family was a much respected one in this county.
James H. Ryther was born in Whitestown, N. Y., December 8, 1803. He learned the black-smith and machinist trades and in 1830 settled in Watertown, where he married Clarissa H. Dean, who survives him and occupies the house at 77 Factory street, which her husband erected in 1839. Mrs. Ryther has occupied this house for 50 years. Mr. Ryther died October 3O, 1870.
David Satchwell was born in Montgomery County, N.Y., July 13, 1828. When David was nine years old his father, Josiah, settled in Brownville. David married Caroline, daughter of Collins Rouse, and in 1869 located in Watertown and engaged in market gardening and the growing of small fruits. Mr. Satchwell has received a prize each year he has exhibited vegetables at the county fair. He is the inventor of Satchwell's seed and phosphate garden drill.
Willard E. Saxe, son of John, was born in Ellisburgh, August 10, 1849. He was a farmer for several years, and a merchant at Mannsville about nine years. He was a deputy sheriff in Ellisburgh from 1882 until January, 1885, when he was reappointed and removed to Watertown, serving in that capacity until January 1, 1888, when, having been elected sheriff of the county, he removed with his family to the jail, where he now resides. He married Jennie Fulton, of Ellisburgh.
William Seaver from Cavendish, Vt., located in Lowville, Lewis County, in 1829, and in 1855 settled in Sackets Harbor. He had a family of five children, three of whom are living; Richard F. and Alanson D., in Watertown, and Charles in New York City. W. H. Seaver, of Richard F., was born in Watertown, October 18, 1865. He married Mary J. Parker, they have one daughter, Bessie May. Mr. Seaver is a machinist by trade. He was elected alderman of the First Ward in 1888.
Henry Devereux Sewall, who was for a number of years
identified with the best interests of the village of Watertown, came to that
place in 1828, and resided there until his decease, in 1886. He was the son of
Samuel Sewall, judge and chief on the bench of the Supreme Court of
Massachusetts. He was born at Marblehead, Mass., in 1786, and at the age of
18 entered as a clerk in the counting house, in Boston, of his uncle, Joseph
Sewall, the head of the house of Sewall, Salisbury & Co., then the principal
dry goods importing and jobbing firm in New England. The ancestry of Mr.
Sewall were among the more notable of the old families of New England. His
descent was direct from Henry Sewall, a merchant of Coventry, in England, in
the 16th century, the most important city in the kingdom, next to London.
This ancestor was, in the latter part of the 16th century and the beginning of
the 17th, for several years mayor of Coventry, which honor had been likewise
borne by his father in the earlier years of Elizabeth's reign. Coventry, from
having been the last stronghold of the Catholic party, became, during
Elizabeth's, and more notably in James's, reign, the headquarters of those
Republicans of the Establishment, the Puritans, to which sect the late mayor
transferred his allegiance; and weary of the persecution he thereby incurred he
determined to emigrate to America, first sending his son of the same name, in
1634 to the colony, and soon after coming over himself. His son, Henry
Sewall, was the father of a numerous family, the most distinguished of his
children being Samuel, long a member of the council and judge in the colony
of Massachusetts Bay, known to history from his connection with the Salem
witch trials in I692, but less recognized by posterity as having been the first to
proclaim that the statutes against witchcraft were based upon human
superstition; the first to publish a printed book denouncing slavery and the
slave trade as an abridgment of human rights. Of this Samuel Sewall's two
surviving sons, the second, Joseph, was for 56 years pastor of the Old South
Church, in Boston. By his wife, a daughter of Governor Dudley, he had but
one child, a son, Samuel, a merchant in Boston, who left a considerable family
of daughters who intermarried with the Quincys, Salisburys, Higginstons,
Mays,- noted Boston people,--and two sons, Joseph, the merchant, heretofore
mentioned, and the judge, Samuel, father of Henry Devereux, now under
In 1807 Sewall, Salisbury & Co. detailed their clerks, Henry Devereux Sewall and Arthur Tappan, the latter a brother of the junior partner in the firm, to go to Portland, in the district of Maine, and open a branch store under the firm name of Tappan & Sewall; but after doing business in Portland for two years they became discouraged by the ill effects produced by Jefferson's embargo, and in 1809 transferred the mercantile establishment to Montreal. There they were quite successful. Merchants and traders in Central and Northern New York were at that time among the principal customers of the Canadian capital city. It was there that Mr. Sewall formed acquaintanceships with Watertown merchants that shaped his course later in his career. The War of 1812 coming on, all Americans residing in Canada were required either to swear allegiance to the British Crown or to quit the country. Being patriots, and the descendants of patriots, our young traders chose the latter alternative, although to the ruin of their business, and in 1813 broke up their establishment. Mr. Tappan went directly to New York, becoming afterwards the leading dry goods merchant in that city, and a distinguished philanthropist. Mr. Sewall devoted his attention to the settling of matters of the late firm, and the collection of their outstanding debts.
Mr. Sewall's father dying in 1814 he spent a considerable part of that year in settling the estate, and early in 1815 established himself in New York in the foreign shipping and commission business, in partnership with John R. Hurd. This business proving but moderately remunerative, Mr. Hurd accepted an offer in 1823 to take the presidency of a marine insurance company in New York, and Mr. Sewall, under the advice of his uncle Joseph, the merchant in Boston, undertook a commission agency in New York in partnership with Edmund Q. Sewall, a son of Joseph, for the sale of domestic goods in connection with the foreign commission business. Joseph Sewall at that time had the agency in Boston of most of the few manufactories of cotton and woolen goods in New England, and through his intervention the firm of H. D. & E. Q. Sewall became the first in New York to undertake a similar agency in the latter market. It was thus that Mr. Sewall established an intercourse with Gilbert & Sigourney, the managers of the cotton factory at Watertown, and the latter concern becoming largely indebted to the New York house, the larger part of this indebtedness was finally transferred to property in and about Watertown.
In the financial crash of 1827 Mr. Sewall's firm in Boston, being compelled to succumb, carried down with them the house in New York of H. D. & E. Q. Sewall; and the junior partner, in the latter, dying, and the outlook for future business in New York seeming discouraging, Mr. Sewall concluded to remove with his family to Watertown, and managed the property there acquired through the intercourse with Gilbert & Sigourney, which firm also had been compelled by the extreme financial pressure of the time to withdraw from active business. He had likewise a view to the further extension of manufacturing at Watertown, and had always nourished a preference for a country life. Mr. Sewall, with the valuable assistance of those excellent men, well known to old citizens of Watertown, John Sigourney and Josiah W. Baker, carried on the old cotton factory and store from 1829 to 1834, when, the charter expiring, the factory and appurtenances were sold. In 1828-29 he constructed the dam on the Black River at the upper end of his island, built his residence on the island, then a beautiful spot, constructed or bought and afterwards sold a saw-mill and a tannery on the north side of the north branch, opposite the island, a paper mill and a machine shop on the lower point of the island on the north branch, a flouring-mill on the main branch, south side, just below the island, an extensive saw-mill at Dexter all between 1829 and I833; and in I834, with the assistance of New York and Boston capital, he erected an extensive woolen factory on the south side of the river opposite the island, and in 1834 to '35 and '36 built several brick stores on the east side of Factory Square, as well as a number of dwelling houses on Factory street, and in the neighborhood of the woolen-mills; and during the same period contributed largely to the erection of the first academy in the village (of which the late Judge Mullin was the first principal), and in 1832-33 furnished the greater part of the means for and himself attended to the construction and fitting up of the first Episcopal Church in the village, the predecessor of the present church on Court street. Later he built another flouring mill, below the woolen factory. Mr. Sewall, in connection with Merrill Coburn held, in 1833 the contract for furnishing the ties and sleepers for the Utica & Schenectady Railroad, the first railroad in the state of any length (the only previous ones being the short Mohawk & Hudson, and the Harlem, not going north of Harlem at that time) and, to carry out the contract, put up the extensive saw-mills at Dexter, and, as the sleepers were required to be of yellow pine, the contractors secured all there was of that timber along the Black River. The flood of 1833 swept all the logs into the lake at heavy loss to the contractors. From 1835 to 1843 Mr. Sewall was chiefly occupied with the business of the woolen factory, which, partly from want of sufficient skill in the manufacture of the fine goods for which the works were designed, partly from insufficiency of funds, and partly from the reduction of the tariff, did not prove ultimately profitable.
In the early spring of 1843 Mr. Sewall was badly injured by the upsetting of the Utica stage coach while on a journey to the eastward, from which time his health failed, and his business career practically closed, his death in June, 1846, being caused by the paralysis resulting from the injury.
Mr. Sewall married, in January, 1816, Mary Catharine, daughter of Birdsey Norton, of Goshen, Connecticut. They had nine children, of whom the first seven were born in New York and the youngest two in Watertown. Among them are Mrs. Mary Goodale, widow of Dr. Charles Goodale, and Edmund Quincy Sewall; both residing in Watertown. The late Mrs. Ann Elizabeth Camp, wife of T. H. Camp, of Watertown, was his second daughter. Of the two other survivors at the present time (1889), one son, Henry, resides in New York, and another, Walter, in Springfield, Mass. Mr. Sewall was a man of fine intellectual culture and moral worth, who is remembered with high regard by the older inhabitants of the county.
A.P. Smith was born in Oneida County, N. Y., in 1824. He married Mary A. Smith also of Oneida County, and in 1848 settled in Watertown, on the farm where he now resides. He served as alderman of the Third Ward two years, and as assessor five years, and has been an extensive dealer in real estate. He is a farmer, and raises about 10,000 pounds of hops per year. He has two sons and two daughters. Timothy A. Smith, brother of A. P., settled on the farm he now occupies in 1846. He married Lucy A. Massey, of this city, and they have one son and two daughters. Mr. Smith owns two orange groves in Florida.
Sylvester Smith was one of the first settlers in Rutland. He had a family of eight children. Samuel, son of Sylvester, was born in Rutland, and when six months old his parents removed to Henderson. He married Phebe Spalding, and in 1859 settled in Watertown, where he died in September, 1865. His wife died in November 1883. They had six sons and three daughters. G. Harrison Smith, son of Samuel, was born May 25, 1857, and has been a resident of Watertown since 1861. He married, first, Ellen M. Bannister and they had a daughter, Blanche E., and second, Melissa Wager. Mr. Smith was elected sheriff of Jefferson County, and held the office three years. He was a cattle dealer for 20 years, and also a farmer and milk dealer.
Lewis B. Sterling, son of Micah, was born in Watertown, August 18, 1836. He enlisted in Co. A, 94th Regt. U. S. Vols., served two years, and was promoted to color sergeant. Be married Isabella Lane, of this city, and they have a daughter, Mary B.
Rev. W. T. Stokes was born in England, and educated at the Barnsbury Academy, London, Wesleyan College, Taunton, and King's College, London, England. He was ordained in the ministry of the General Synod Branch of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in the United States, and entered the Congregational ministry in 1883.
Frederick T. Story was born in Cherry Valley, Otsego County, November 30, 1824, and in 1844 he located in Watertown and established a wholesale and retail crockery store, and was quite extensively engaged in importing crockery. Here he continued until 1852, when he organized the Watertown Gas Light Co., in which business he has since continued. He married Harriet F. Smith, of Monroe, Mich., daughter of Major Henry Smith, of U. S. army by whom he has had a son, Harry, who died at the early age of 22 months.
William Stuart, Jr., located in Le Ray about 1810. He married Lucy Cole and they had two children, Mary and Sanford. He was a farmer, and died August 9, 1853. His widow survives and resides with her daughter Mary (Mrs. Amos Goulding), in Watertown. Sanford Stuart died May 13, 1844.
Hon. Byron Benjamin Taggart. By Col. Albert D.
The subject of this brief biographical sketch was born in the town of Le Ray, Jefferson County, N. Y., on the 28th of April, I831. The Taggart family from whom he descended ranks among the old settlers of this section of the state. His father, Henry Taggart, was born in Le Ray, and his another, Julia Deighton, in Pamelia. They lived and died in their native county and the old homestead is still owned by their descendants. His great-grandfather, Joseph Taggart, resided in Newport, R. I., where he carried on a shipping trade, frequently crossing to Europe in sailing vessels in the line of his business. He emigrated to the United States from the Isle of Man. His immediate family consisted of six brothers and two sisters, viz.: Dempster, who died in childhood, Joseph B., William W., Watson Henry, Dempster D. (named after his deceased brother), and the sisters, Mary and Orea. Of the brothers, Watson H. died in Terra Haute, Ind., in 1853, and Dempster D. in Watertown, in October, 1889. The sister Mary died in 1871. With the single exception of the eldest child the whole family grew up to manhood and womanhood, and married. Theirs was a family possessing unusual force of character, and if their individual history could be fully written out it would furnish a valuable picture of the trials, successes, and perseverance of a large family of children born in humble life, and who largely had to make their own way in the world.
The products of a farm in this region 50 years ago were barely sufficient to provide for the necessities of a large family of children, and to do this even called for a self sacrificing toil on the part of parents and elder children, at once noble and beautiful. That the members of this family came of good and thrifty stock is abundantly proved by the useful and successful career of each. In the battle of life they all won honorable positions in the circle in which their lot was cast.
Byron B. worked on the home farm until he was I8 years of age--working summers and latterly teaching school during the winter term. The experiences gained while "boarding round," and in the management of country schools, gave him an excellent insight into character, which greatly aided him in later years. He attended the State Normal School at Albany for one year, and afterwards went West, where he spent three years. In the spring of 1856 he returned to his native county, and, on the 28th day of May of that year, he married Miss Frances L. Brown, of Watertown, daughter of Jabez and Lefa Brown. This choice of a wife proved a very happy one, and two daughters and a son blessed the union. Mrs. Taggart has been a loving wife and devoted mother, and still lives to grace and bless a home her presence and help have done so much to brighten and secure.
The patriotic fervor of the period of the great Rebellion in 1861 found full recognition in the heart of Mr. Taggart. In 1862, after the conflict had deepened into a gigantic civil war, he raised a company of volunteers for the 10th N.Y. Artillery, and was commissioned a captain in the 29th, in November, 1862. He had command of Fort Ricketts, comprising a part of the important defences of Washington, where he remained up to November 23, 1863, when family responsibilities and ill health led him to resign his commission. He was a capable and efficient officer, and merited and received the full confidence of his men and of his superior officers. The service he rendered in the army made a heavy drain upon his health, and ever since he has at times been a great sufferer from disabilities contracted while in the line of duty. On the 14th of May, 1878, Gov. Robinson appointed him a trustee for the "completion, management, and control of the Soldiers Home" at Bath, N.Y., and he was reappointed to this trust by Gov. Cornell on the 4th of May 1881. In 1879 he was elected mayor of Watertown, and reelected in the following year. His administration of the affairs of the city was marked by a careful discharge of the delicate and somewhat onerous duties pertaining to the trying position. He brought a business man's experience to the service of the city, and left the position with an excellent record.
He was one of the originators and is president of the "Taggart Bros. Company," of Watertown, and the "Taggart Paper Company," of Felt's Mills. He is vice-president and one of the promoters of the "Watertown thermometer works," a company providing employment to between 40 and 50 workers. He was also one of the organizers of the "Watertown National Bank," and is a director in this institution. He is a stockholder in the "Watertown Spring Wagon Company" and in the "Watertown Carriage and Gear Company." He is president of the "Central Park Association," which occupies one of the finest sites on thc St. Lawrence River, and he is vice-president of the "Alexandria Steamboat Company." He is also interested in the Hotel Eastman, at Hot Springs, Ark., built to accommodate 850 guests. This record of industrial interests which his enterprise and means have helped to develop will amply prove that he is a citizen who fully meets the best requirements for the development of ways and means for furnishing employment to the people, and adding to that circulation that creates wealth in his own home section of the state. As a business man Mr. Taggart is well and widely known, and respected for his sterling integrity, thrift, enterprise and public spirit. His career has been a successful one,--both in the days of war and in times of peace,--and he is yet in the prime of life.
As a type of a farmer's son, winning his own way to a position of great influence and usefulness among the business men of his day, and acquiring a competency through his own efforts. besides commanding the confidence of both political parties,--as his official trusts continued through two administrations abundantlv prove,--he is one of our self-made men, worthy as few are, and whose achievements are a valuable part of the history of our country. His life is proof of how grandly the American volunteer--transformed into an American business man--adapted himself to every duty, and so stands forth as one of the best products of our cosmopolitan civilization.
G. H. Tallett was born in Taberg, Oneida, County, October 31, 1822. In 1852 he located in Clayton, where he was a photographer until the breaking out of the war. In 1861 he enlisted in Battery D, Ist N. Y. Lt. Art., as a private, was promoted to sergeant, in 1863 was made 2d lieutenant of Battery B, and at the close of the war was mustered out as 1st lieutenant. He married Kate C., daughter of Rev. Gardner Baker, of Rodman, and they have two children, William and Helen B.
Stephen A. Tyler came to Watertown at an early day, and located on the corner of Factory and Mill streets. He was a contractor and builder, and died March 4, 1878. He married Anna Hosmer, who survives him, and they had three sons, Horace E. and Walter D., of this city, and Wallace, of Huron, Dakota.
James Vallat, a native of Paris, France, came to America when about 20 years of age, and located in Cape Vincent. While crossing the ocean he became acquainted with Catharine Mooney, whom he married soon after his settlement in this county. He subsequently located in Watertown, where he resided until his death in August, 1853. His widow survives him. They had six sons, three of whom are living, Julius and T. W. in this city. T. W. Vallat is a merchant tailor, in which business he has been engaged since he was 18 years of age. He married Alice Turcott, and they have had eight children, four of whom are living, namely: Cora, Evaline, Thaddeus, and Grace.
Charles Webber was born in Springfield, Mass., in 1799. His parents died before he was six years old, at which age he removed with his grandmother to Clinton, Oneida County, where he made his home with Judge McNeal. When 12 years of age he was apprenticed to a woolen manufacturer for seven years. He married Polly Holcomb, of Litchfield, Herkimer County, who was born in 1799, and they had one daughter, Anna M., who resides in the city of Watertown, and is the widow of Dr. E. G. Howland. Charles Webber located in Watertown about 1835, and commenced work in a woolen-mill. About 1840 he engaged in business for himself, and was one of the Willams Company. He owned several farms and also a sawmill. He died in 1871, and his wife in 1878.
Horace Whitney came to Jefferson county from Vermont about 1830, and settled in the town of LeRay. He died about 1846. After his death his widow, Mary, married his brother Riley, who died about 1880. George R. Whitney, son of Horace, was born in LeRay, March 12, 1844, and until he was 18 years old he resided upon a farm in that town. He was engaged in farming until 1875, when he located in this city and opened a grocery store at 36 Moulton street, where he has since done business. He married Maria C. Young, of Oneida County, and they have two children, Leland and Irene L.
Horace Wilder was born in Worcester, Mass., in January, 1804, and about 1830 located in the town of Rodman, in this county. He married Dulcena Howe, of Massachusetts, who died in March, 1879. They had four children, two of whom, Solon and George H., survive, and are proprietors of the Crowner House in this city. Mr. Wilder died April 10, 1890, at the Crowner House, where he had resided for the past 12 years.
Osee Wilmot removed from Croton, Vt., and settled in Champion in 1837, on a farm near Champion village. He reared a family of nine children, and died in 1861. Two of his children, Osee W. and Russell I., reside in this city. Osee W. married Cornelia E. Buell, of Watertown, and they have three children, Nellie B., Minnie M., and Grace. Mr. Wilmot was engaged in the mercantile business in New York city from 1859 to 1878. He has been a resident of Watertown since 1883. Russell I. married Carrie Kimball, of Carthage, and they have two children. He was a merchant in Carthage several years.
Samuel Winslow came to Watertown about 1807 and settled in the south part of the town, on the farm now owned by Mrs. John Winslow. John Winslow, son of Samuel, was born in Woodstock, Vt., December 19, 1802, and came to Watertown with his parents. He was assessor several years, was supervisor of the town three years, a member of the state legislature 1849, was excise commissioner 10 years, and in 1855 was president of the Watertown Agricultural Society. At the time of his death, which occurred July 7, 1874, he was president of the Agricultural Insurance Company and a member of its executive committee. By his first wife, Betsey Collins, he had five children, namely: Lucy, Bradley, Norris, Janette C., and Betsey. His second wife, Sarah Bates, of Hounsfield, who survives him, bore him one son, John, who resides with his mother in this city. The Winslow farm of 194 acres has been owned by the family since 1807, and is now the property of Mrs. Winslow.
Return to Jefferson County NYGenWeb page
Return to Child's Jefferson County Gazetteer
Return to City of Watertown
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact: Nancy Dixon
http://jefferson.nygenweb.net/childwac.htm updated March 9, 2009
Copyright 2009 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project