A detailed 1864 town MAP showing residents.
An 1864 map of The Village of Clayton
An 1864 map of The Hamlet of Depauville
1918 TOWN OF CLAYTON FARM MAP
Town of Clayton Contributors to DURANT AND PEIRCE's 1878 History of Jefferson County
HISTORY OF DEPAUVILLE,
which appeared in "The Thousand Islands Sun Vacationer", 27 Aug, 3 Sep, and 10
Sep 1997 supplements to the weekly newspaper, "Thousand Islands Sun", published
at Alexandria Bay, Jefferson County. Permission to present this article given by
Jeanne Snow, editor. Prepared by William Gillette, Depauville, in 1905 for the
Jefferson County Centennial of 1905 published by J. Coughlin.
EARLY DEPAUVILLE RESIDENTS appeared in The Thousand Islands Sun Vacationer, 14 Sep 1994 supplement to the weekly newspaper, The Thousand Islands Sun, as dictated by Adelaide Jones, aged 92, 1975, published at Alexandria Bay, Jefferson County NY. Permission to present this article was given by Jeanne Snow, editor.
|Town & Village Historian||NORMAN WAGNER||686-5794||312 James St., Clayton 13624|
|Town Clerk||KATHY LECLAIR||686-3512||405 Riverside Drive, Clayton 13624|
|Village Clerk||JUDITH CORNICK||686-5552||Mary St., Clayton 13624|
|Historical Society||NORMAN WAGNER||686-5794||33950 County Rt 4, Cape Vincent 13618|
|Antique Boat Museum||JOHN SUMMERS||686-4104||750 Mary St, Clayton, 13624|
|Hawn Library||.||686-3762||John St, Clayton, 13624|
|Thousand Islands Museum||.||686-5794||312 James St., Clayton 13624|
|Depauville Free Library||CONNIE HAVER||686-3299||Caroline St, Depauville 13632|
The Lyme Heritage Center
The Town of Clayton includes portions of three original grants: Penet's Square, two fifths of which lies in the town, a piece of the Macomb purchase, and some of the Thousand Islands. Clayton, formed from Orleans and Lyme 27 April 1833, has river frontage on the St Lawrence, and hence a Canadian boundary to the north, the Town of Orleans on the east, Brownville on the south, and Lyme and Cape Vincent on the west. It was named in honor of John M. Clayton, a senator from Delaware.
The first settlement was made about 1801 by Captain Bartlett, who gave his name to present day Bartlett's Point. He left, and no settlement of note was made until after the War of 1812. Clayton, originally known as Cornelia, is the principal village. The settlement of Catfish Falls changed its name to Depauville, the town's other populated place. Grindstone Island and Round Island in the St Lawrence River also have year round inhabitants.
From the 1864 Jefferson County Atlas: a summary of statistics for Clayton ACRES OF LAND Improved 29,257 1/2 Unimproved 19,986 1/2 VALUATION Real Estate 523,965 Personal Property 56,859 Total 580,824 POPULATION Males 2,292 Females 2,240 Number of Dwellings 820 Number of Families 800 Freeholders 581 SCHOOLS Number of Districts 25 Children Taught 1,817 LIVE STOCK Horses 978 Working Oxen and Calves 1,977 Cows 3,011 Sheep 2,801 Swine 1,782 AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS Bushels of Grain Winter 15,018 Spring 91,930 1/2 Tons of Hay 7,503 Bushels of Potatoes 13,816 Bushels of Apples 2,770 Dairy Products Pounds of Butter 206,851 Pounds of Cheese 179,475 YARDS OF DOMESTIC MANUFACTURE 2,796
Names of the early settlers
|Abby, Daniel |
Ackert, Abram B.
Bennett, Peter C.
CALVIN, Alpheus R.
Carter, Isaac L.
Devendorff, Catherine (Fox)
Devendorff, John W.
Gloyd, James D.
Hall, Foster Very
Heil, Johann Philipp
Low, Peter G.
Patchin, Martha (Wells)
Reed, Deacon Amos
|Richards, Amos |
Smith, Oren W.
Sumner, Aaron M. D.
Sylvester, Ira A.
Van Alstyne , Lambert
Van Camp, Henry D.
WAFFLE, Parley G.
Winslow, Edwin Martin
Wright, J. Wilson
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact: Nancy DixonReturn to Jefferson County Genweb Page
Copyright 2009 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project