2. CHARLES DION II was born in about 1788 in Montreal. Surviving sons other than Charles III were Pierre, who had sons Antoine and Francis, and Cyril, who owned a New York City store c. 1850.
3. CHARLES DION III was born about 1812 in Montreal, and died after 1857 in Brockville, Leeds, Ontario, Canada. He was employed in the construction of the Notre Dame Cathedral in Montreal. Descendants of his son Charles IV described Charles III as a carpenter, while the family of his daughter Virginia remembered him as a stonemason. Charles III removed to Brockville in about 1850, where he owned a farm north of the city.
Charles III married JOSEPHINE BAYETTE in about 1834. She was born between 1808 and 1818 in Quebec or France, and died in Brockville on July 4, 1897. According to family legend told within the DeYoung-LaPoint line, Josephine came from Normandy from a well-to-do family to marry in 1834 and had many trunks and baggage as a dowry. By marrying a "back-woodsman" from Canada, she relinquished her family heritage in France.
Children, DION and DeYOUNG
4 i. CHARLES DeYOUNG IV married CATHERINE GERU
5 ii. ANTOINE DION married MARY C. VEANCE, lived in Brockville
6 iii. ESTHER DION married GEORGE LaFRANCE, died in Syracuse
7 iv. JULIA DION died in 1870 at age 20 in Brockville
8 v. VIRGINIE DION married (1) CHARLES LaPOINT; (2) CLEVIS MINOR
9 vi. THOMAS DION married MARY McANNALLY, Brockville> Rochester?
10 vii. JOHN DeYOUNG of Syracuse married (1) MARY FENNELL; (2) ELLEN MARIE LaVERY; (3) NELLIE N. HAR
In about 1880 Charles worked as a carpenter in the building of Pullman's Castle Rest at Alexandria Bay. At about that time, he moved his family to Church Street in Alexandria Bay, where he built a small double house. Charles died there of nephritis on May 28, 1883 and was buried in Brockville. Most records of the 1870s and 1880s, including census and land records as well as his death certificate, list him as Charles D. Young.
On September 22, 1856 at St. Francis Xavier Roman Catholic Church in Brockville by the Rev. Oliver Kelly, Charles IV married CATHERINE GERU, daughter of LOUIS or LUTE GERU and MARY ROSE (ROSE) HAMILTON, whose father came from Ireland. The marriage record lists the bride as Catherine Girouard, child of Giroir. The marriage was witnessed by her brother Jeremiah GIROIR, known in America as Jerry GERU (1843-1925) of Plessis and Philadelphia in Jefferson County.
Catherine Geru was born October 29, 1839 in Williamstown, Charlottenburgh Twp., Glengarry, Ontario, and resided with her family for a time in Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, Quebec. She lived on after her husband's death for 42 years, and ran a boarding house on the corner of Church and Crossman Streets in Alexandria Bay where she operated a home restaurant and took in laundry for area carpenters. She is buried there at St. Cyril's cemetery under the name Catherine J. DeYoung. She was the mother of 12 children, of whom the names of 10 are known.
11 i. JENNIE PHILOMENE DeYOUNG married THOMAS H. LUNDERMAN
12 ii. CHARLES JACOB DeYOUNG married MARGARET McGOWAN
13 iii. WILLIAM F. (WILL) DeYOUNG married IDA SOPHIA EVANS
14 iv. CLARISSA ROSE (CLARA) DeYOUNG married JACOB PETER WAGONER
15 v. CATHERINE M. DeYOUNG married GEORGE R. GILMAN
16 vi. LUCY DeYOUNG married CHARLES ALBERT WOOD
17 vii. CLARENCE ROBERT DeYOUNG married BARBARA DIMLER
18 viii. WALTER THOMAS DeYOUNG married (1) MARGARET BREEN; (2) MARY E. POWERS
19 ix. ERNEST RUTHERFORD DeYOUNG married JULIA HELEN JEROME
20 x. ALBERT RILEY DeYOUNG married (1) FLORENCE EDITH WAGONER; (2) LOIS E. KEPLER
21. i. CHARLES LaPOINT married MARGARET REGAN, lived on Staten Island
22. ii. HERBERT FRANK LaPOINT married MAY and died at Niagara Falls, 1916
23. iii. IDA M. LaPOINT married WELSH; descendants still live in Alexandria Bay
24. iv. LILLIAN O. LaPOINT married ARTHUR RAYMOND FITZPATRICK
25. v. CLEVIS LaFAYETTE MINOR (1895-1978) died in Binghamton, NY11. JENNIE PHILOMENE DeYOUNG, baptized as Philomene Jane Dion, was born May 6, 1859 in Brockville, Leeds, Ontario, Canada. She died of consumption on September 3, 1914 in Hammond, Saint Lawrence, NY and is buried at Fineview Cemetery. Jennie married in Hammond on December 25, 1878, THOMAS H. LUNDERMAN, son of William Lunderman and Mary A. Ryan. Thomas was born in Morristown, Saint Lawrence, NY on September 9, 1858. He died January 15, 1941 in Syracuse, Onondaga, NY and is buried at Fineview cemetery.
26. i. ROLAND THOMAS LUNDERMAN married ALICE E. (ALLIE) BACKUS
27. ii. EDNA J. LUNDERMAN married (1) IRA ROBINSON; (2) EDGAR JOHN McCARTHY; (3) EDWARD L. PENDERGAST
28. iii. OLIN WILLIAM (WILLIAM) LUNDERMAN married LILLIAN LUCILLE BARNEY
29. iv. CHARLES KENNETH LUNDERMAN married ELIZABETH VICTOREEN O'BRIEN
30. v. GLENN ARNOLD (PAT) LUNDERMAN married MARY MARGUERITE LOOBY
31. vi. MARY C. LUNDERMAN married HERBERT JAMES MORE
32. vii. BERYL EOLA LUNDERMAN married FRED ALBRO MORE
Charles married MARGARET McGOWAN on February 25, 1886. The couple met when Charles worked in the copper mines of Pennsylvania. Margaret was born in Glasgow Scotland, a daughter of Thomas Magoohan and Catherine Moore. In 1867 she and her siblings were orphaned on the ship to America. Born July 9, 1860, Margaret died at age 92 on August 5, 1952. She is buried in the Catholic Cemetery in Stockton.
33. i. JOHN KENNETH DeYOUNG married MAE W. RENDON
34. ii. CHARLES CLARENCE DeYOUNG married ANN ELIZABETH FORD
35. iii. ALICE KATHERINE DeYOUNG worked as a bookkeeper and clerk
On May 6, 1885 in Clayton, Will married IDA SOPHIA EVANS, daughter of William F. Evans and Mariette Tucker. Ida was born October 19, 1864 at Barnes Settlement, Alexandria. The couple was said to have met at Theresa's Getman House, where Ida (a niece of the owners) worked as a chambermaid while Will stayed as a guest. Ida died of pneumonia on November 29, 1930 in Theresa. Will died July 26, 1954 at Ogdensburg. He and Ida are buried at Oakwood Cemetery in Theresa.
36. i. FLORA MAY DeYOUNG married CLARENCE EDWARD (ED) CALL
37. ii. MARGARET SOPHIA (MAGGIE) DeYOUNG married JOSEPH FELDER, JR.
38. iii. MABEL SOPHRONIA DeYOUNG married ANSON FREDERICK CALHOUN
39. iv. JEREMIAH FISHER (JERRY) DeYOUNG married BLANCHE THERESA LOUCKS
40. v. GRACE ETHEL DeYOUNG of Theresa, RN in Watertown, lived to be 97
41. vi. MILDRED PEARL DeYOUNG married DANIEL VITAL DESORMEAU
42. vii. JENNIE MARIETTE DeYOUNG married (1) KENNETH WELLINGTON SMITH; (2) MAURICE JONES RICHARDSON
43. viii. NORA EVANS DeYOUNG married CARLTON EDWIN CHISAMORE
44. ix. HAROLD EDWIN DeYOUNG married STANESLOVA KOWARIK
45. i. HARRY LOVELAND WAGONER married RUBY FALL
46. ii. DAVID KENNETH WAGONER married DOROTHY ELIZABETH DWYER
47. iii. MARGARET LAYNG WAGONER married (1) CARLTON L. TAGUE; (2) LOYAL C. SAMSON
48. i. GEORGE WILLIAM GILMAN married LOUISE MacINTYRE
49. ii. GLADYS L. GILMAN married ARTHUR FREDERICK BURROWS
50. iii. LEON W. GILMAN married HELEN TEAL
51. iv. LAWRENCE C. GILMAN married EMMA B. PIERCE
52. v. ALBERT R. GILMAN married FLORENCE ANNETTE KELSEY
53. vi. NOEL L. GILMAN died in his youth
54. vii. KEITH ERNEST GILMAN married MILDRED TOWNSEND16. LUCY DeYOUNG was born October 17, 1869 in Brockville, Leeds, Ontario, Canada. A member of the Reformed Church of the Thousand Islands, she died in Ogdensburg, August 20, 1954. In Alexandria Bay on April 10, 1886, Lucy married CHARLES ALBERT WOOD, son of William H. Wood and Ellen Harriet Smith. A marine engineer, Charles operated the freight vessel "Ringleader" between Oswego and Alexandria Bay. Born in Rossie, Saint Lawrence, NY on May 6, 1866, Charles died on March 25, 1950 in Alexandria Bay. He and Lucy are buried at Highland Park Cemetery in Alexandria Bay.
55. i. RAYMOND J. WOOD married CATHERINE McCARTHY
56. ii. MARJORIE C. WOOD married ROSS PARKER
57. iii. PAULINE WOOD married SNOW
58. iv. CHARLES WILLIAM WOOD married LENA E. WEEKS
59. v. ADALINE WOOD
60. vi. CLARA WOOD married JAMES WILLIAM BRENNAN
61. vii. ORA WOOD
62. viii. OLA WOOD married GEORGE DELOS LOWE
63. ix. EVELYN LUCY WOOD married FRED LESLIE HUNNEYMAN
64. x. MARY HELEN WOOD married PAUL DUNRIFF SCHERMERHORN
65. xi. BERTHA WOOD
66. xii. ADDIE WOOD married (1) MILFORD DONALDSON; (2) GEORGE GRANDY
67. xiii. EMMA T. WOOD married GEORGE LESLIE ECKERT
68. xiv. WALTER L. WOOD married [living] HENDERSON
69. xv. CAMILLA E. WOOD married GERALD R. HEATH
70. i. WALTER JAMES DeYOUNG (twin) married HELEN KANE
71. ii. WILLIAM PETER DeYOUNG (twin) married WINIFRED KEENAN or KIEURAN
72. iii. CHARLES CLARENCE DeYOUNG married SARAH A. DELANEY
73. iv. OLIVER "DICK" DeYOUNG married MARGARET HELEN BEHRENS
74. v. CATHERINE M. DeYOUNG married JOHN A. LEHMANN
75. vi. BARBARA DeYOUNG married WALTER WILLIAM HOLLERON
76. vii. HELEN DeYOUNG d. y.
77. i. CATHERINE DeYOUNG married FRED C. CHRISTOPHER
78. ii. WALTER THOMAS DeYOUNG married (1) FRANCES SHEA; (2) MARY ALICE APP
79. iii. MARY M. DeYOUNG married HENRY HORN
80. iv. CLARENCE DeYOUNG married HELEN SWEENEY
81. v. JOHN H. DeYOUNG married ELIZABETH
82. i. LEON JOSEPH WELSH married AURELIA WHITE
83. ii. THEODORE J. WELSH married MAGDALENE C. WHITE
Return to Jefferson County NYGenWeb page
Return to Jefferson County Pioneers page
Return to Town of Alexandria
Copyright 2017 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page