1. MARTIN ELLIS was born between 1789-1792 either in Vermont or New York. In 1850 his occupation was farmer, and in 1860 it was laborer. According to the census, he was in the Town of Champion, Jefferson County NY from 1820-1850, where some of his children were born.
By 1855 he was living in Porter County, IN. In 1860 he was in Valparaiso, Porter Co. IN, and he died in 1864 in Porter Co.
He married c1814
LAURA (---) born c 1794 in MA.
Children, ELLIS (may not be a complete list):
2 i BENJAMIN ELLIS, b 1815-1818 NY
3 ii DELOS ELLIS, b c1820 NY
4 iii AUGUSTUS ELLIS, b1821 Champion NY
5 iv HENRY ELLIS, b 1822-1825 NY
6 v ELIZA S. ELLIS no further information known.
2. BENJAMIN ELLIS, son of MARTIN & LAURA (---) ELLIS was born between 1815-1818 in NY. He was a laborer, peddler, storekeeper. He had a crippled arm. From 1820-1840, he was probably living with his parents in Champion. In 1850 he was definitely living with them. In 1860 he was living with his father in Valparaiso, Porter Co., IN. By 1870 he had moved to Lawrence, Douglas Co., KS, and in 1880 he was in Willow Springs, Douglas Co., KS. He probably never married. He died between 1880 and 1900, probably in KS.
3. DELOS ELLIS son of MARTIN & LAURA (---) ELLIS was born c. 1820 NY (Probably Jefferson Co). In 1830 he was probably living with parents in Champion, Jefferson Co., NY, and in 1840 possibly living with parents in Champion, Jefferson Co., NY. He died Nov 1843 Prob. OH
He married in 20 Apr 1842 in Washington Co., OH
RUTH INGALLS ELLIS
7 i CHARLES MONROE ELLIS b February 1843, probably in OH
4. AUGUSTUS M. ELLIS son of MARTIN & LAURA (---) ELLIS was born 1821 in Champion, Jefferson Co., NY. He died 26 Sep 1902 Lawrence, Douglas Co., KS and was buried Oak Hill Cemetery, Lawrence, Douglas Co., KS
He married (1) 21 Feb 1865 Lawrence, Douglas Co., KS
ELIZABETH JANE POTTER
8 i DELOS M. ELLIS
He married (2) 21 Feb 1865 Lawrence, Douglas Co., KS
RACHEL R. STULL
Augustus M. Ellis (son of Martin Ellis) Occupation: Physician and Farmer
1821-born in Champion, Jefferson Co., NY
1830-probably living with parents in Champion, Jefferson Co., NY
1840-probably living with parents in Champion, Jefferson Co., NY
1842-marries Elizabeth Jane Potter in Champion, Jefferson Co., NY*
1843-son Au1842-marries Elizabeth Jane Potter in Champion, Jefferson Co., NY*
1843-son Augustus A. Ellis born in Jefferson Co., NY
1845-son Delos born in NY (prob. Jefferson Co)
1848-son Edwin E. born in Watertown, Jefferson Co., NY
1850-McKean, Licking Co., OH
1860-Humboldt, Allen Co., KS Territory (enumerated twice in the 1860 census)*
1860-Morgan, Porter Co., IN
1865-marries Rachel R. Stull (dau of Isaac and Charlotte Stull) in Lawrence, KS*
1868-dau. Lillie is born in KS
1870-Lawrence, Douglas Co., KS*
1875-Kansas State Census-Wakarusa, Douglas Co., KS
c. 1876-dau. Eliza is born in KS
1877-son Clifford is born in Willow Springs, Douglas Co., KS
1880-Willow Springs, Douglas Co., KS
1900-Willow Springs, Douglas Co., KS
1902-Augustus M. Ellis dies in Lawrence, Douglas Co., KS (Probate in Willow Springs)
*Elizabeth Jane Potter Ellis and Augustus M. Ellis eventually divorced bet. 1860 & 1865.
Elizabeth was born c. 1821 in NY (parents unknown).
Elizabeth married 2nd John Dutton on 31 May 1867 in IN (prob. Porter Co.)
Elizabeth married 3rd John Card (after 1870).
Elizabeth died in 1883 probably in Porter Co., IN.
*During the time of the 1860 census, Augustus M. Ellis and his son, Delos, were enumerated twice. The first time was July 19, 1860 on the Humboldt, Allen Co., KS census which shows Augustus as a land owner. On this census, the two Ellis's, are enumerated with the Owen family. Rodney and Catherine Owen and their daughter, Sylvia A. Owen, were all from NY. I noticed that Rodney is enumerated in the 1850 Wilna, Jefferson Co., NY census with his parents (Jonathan and Sylvia Owen).
For the second census, Augustus M. Ellis, and son, Delos, are back in Indiana with wife, Elizabeth, Edmund (Edwin) and Augustus A. Ellis (August 15, 1860). I think that Augustus M. Ellis went to KS, stayed with friends, bought land, and then went back up to Indiana to get the rest of his family. Perhaps Augustus's wife, Elizabeth, did not want to move, since they were divorced soon afterwards, and she stayed in Indiana.
*Augustus M. Ellis's 2nd wife was Rachel R. Stull (b. Sep 1847 PA-d. 26 Sep 1922). She is buried next to Augustus M. Ellis in the Oak Hill Cemetery, Lawrence, Douglas Co., KS.
*A.M. Ellis was a member of the High Prairie Methodist Church in Douglas Co., KS and, also, a member of the GAR.
5. HENRY J. ELLIS son of MARTIN & LAURA (---) ELLIS was born c. 1822-1825 NY probably in Jefferson Co. He died d. bet. 1880 and 1900 probably in IN
He married in c. 1844 Location unknown (possibly OH)
SARAH MARIAH (---)
6. ELIZA S. ELLIS No other information known
7. DELOS M. ELLIS was a son of AUGUSTUS M. & ELIZABETH J. (POTTER) ELLIS, grandson of MARTIN. He was born in NY (probably in Jefferson Co., NY) in October, 1845, and was a farmer and laborer. In 1850 he was in McKean, Licking County, OH. He was enumerated twice in 1860, once in Morgan, Porter Co., IN. and again in Humboldt, Allen Co., KS territory. He appears to have settled in Kansas, enumerated in 1870 and 1875 in Wakarusa, Douglas Co., KS. About 1872 his son, WILLIAM was born in KS. In 1880 he appears to have been enumerated as a stranger in Leavenworth County, and in 1900 and 1910 he was in Wyandotte Twp., Wyandotte Co., KS. Between 1910 & 1920 DELOS M. ELLIS died, probably in Wyandotte, KS.
He married 26 October 1875 in Douglas Co., KS
SUSAN SHOBERTwho was born in PA in Jan 1854. She was a widow by the 1920 census and living in Wyandotte, Wyandotte Co., KS.
9 i WILLIAM ELLIS, b c1872
10 ii HARRIET ELLIS, b c1876
11 iii MONROE MARION ELLIS b18 Jan 1878
12 iv BENJAMIN GARFIELD ELLIS b 8 May 1880
13 v ELIZABETH ELLIS
For further information, contact: Tracy C. Ellis