Return to Index.
Return to Town of Ellisburg
John Miner was from Schoharie Co., NY and settled near Ellis village, probably previous to the War of 1812. One son, Captain John Miner, began sailing between Ogdensburgh and Chicago in 1830 for 41 years. He was a resident of Mannsville. Another son, Abram, was a resident of Ellis village.
Philip Martin of Massachusetts settled near the center of town in 1806, with his wife and one son, P. P. Martin, who later lived in Mannsville. P. P. Martin moved his family to Mannsville in 1836, having taught school there for three years. Philip Martin's brother, Benjamin, located in town about 1804-05, and cousins-Jesse, Levi, Amos, Joseph and David-settled about the same time, all near each other in the center of town. All belonged to the militia except Benjamin, exempted due to an eye defect.
Daniel Rounds of Cheshire, Berkshire Co., MA made a trip to Ellisburg in 1816 and bargained for land; he then returned to MA and got married. In the spring of 1817 he brought his wife with him and arrived at their future home on 3 April. Their farm was on the old Sacket's Harbor Road. In the winter of 1818-19 he taught district school; money earned from teaching was applied to improving his farm. He resided on the homestead until his 14th child was born. From 1870 forward he was a resident of Mannsville.
John Wilds was a native of Norton, MA, thirty miles from Boston. He settled a mile northeast of Ellis village in 1824. A shoemaker by trade, he worked at that business while living on his farm. He brought a wife and seven children with him to Ellis. Later, a son, Benjamin F. was also a resident of Ellis village.
Pardon T. Whipple was a native of Rhode Island and later a resident of Deerfield, Oneida Co., NY. He located near the landing on Sandy Creek in 1803. In 1806 he moved to the farm later owned by his son, George Whipple, which was a short distance southeast of Ellis village. When he settled, he brought a wife and one child; a son was born on the homestead in 1806. Prior to 1806, he moved back to Deerfield, remained about a year and moved back to Ellisburg in 1806. During the War of 1812 he belonged to the town militia and was at the battle of Sacket's Harbor on 29 May 1813. Pardon died in 1814. One of his sisters was married to Marvel Ellis. Pardon was a carpenter by trade and came to Ellisburg to work on the grist and saw mills of Lyman Ellis.
Jonathan Matteson was a Revolutionary War pensioner and formerly of Rhode Island, where four of his children were born. He was a resident and early settler of Chenango Co., NY and in 1823 moved with his wife and eight children into the northwest part of the town of Ellisburg where he lived until 25 September 1846 where he died at age 85. Some of his children emigrated to the western states. The elder two sons, Thomas and Jonathan, moved with their families to Kane Co., IL in 1842 and settled near St. Charles. Jonathan died there during the Civil War and Thomas died in Grinnell, Iowa in August 1873. The youngest son, Samuel Matteson lived near the Wardwell settlement in Jefferson Co.
(Transcriber note: married 1)Martha Hill and 2)Katherine Carter. Martha Hill was born 21 Dec 1764 in Burlington VT. She married Jonathan on 1 Nov. 1786; she died 10 Dec. 1826 at Ellisburg. Jonathan was born 21 March 1762 at Coventry, Kent Co., RI. Children:
1)Thomas Matteson born 20 Aug. 1787 at Coventry, died 1873 Grinnell, Poweshiek Co, Iowa
2)Mary Matteson born 21 Dec. 1789 at Coventry and died 26 Jan 1863 in Henderson, Jefferson Co. She married about 1809 at Coventry to William Nutting, who was born 26 May 1789 at Columbus, NY; he died 3 Nov 1865 at Henderson, Jefferson Co., NY
3)Jonathan Matteson born 1 Sept 1792; died 1873 St. Charles, Du Page co., IL. Married 1814 Elizabeth Simmons, born 24 Dec. 1797 Columbus Township, Chenango Co., NY. She died 1884.
CH: Thomas b 1818 Ellisburg
Charles b 17 Dec 1819 Ellisburg
Harry b 7 Aug 1821 Ellisburg
Mary b 21 Feb 1824 Ellisburg
Sally Ann b 29 April 1826 Ellisburg
Olive R. b 25 Feb 1830 Ellisburg
William M. b 18 Nov 1832 Ellisburg d 11 May 1913 St. Charles, Kane Co., IL
Charity b 5 Feb 1834 Ellisburg
Ruth b 1 Oct 1835 Ellisburg d 1879
4)Sally Matteson born 27 May 1794
5)Martha Matteson born 15 Feb 1796
6)Phebe Matteson born 31 March 1798 d 27 Feb 1868 Henderson, Jefferson Co.; married Harvey Crittenton, born 6 Sept 1800 Jefferson Co.
CH: Levi b 1823
Charles Nelson b 20 Feb 1833 Adams d 16 Nov 1909 San Francisco CA
7)Samuel Matteson b 7 July 1806 d after 1880 Jefferson Co NY married Lucretia Tracy b 9 March 1806 Vermont; she died 6 April 1856 Jefferson Co NY. He married 2) on 29 Jan 1829 to Catherine Nutting b 1782
CH: Amanda N. Matteston b 1832
William A born 1833
Harrison Samuel born 1840
End transcription note)
Henry Green, a native of Stonington CT, came to Ellisburg in 1807 and in 1809 settled about two and one-half miles west of Belleville. Henry was after the War of 1812 made colonel of a regiment of militia. His service during that was as militiaman. His son, James E., was engaged in the mercantile business at Belleville.
Amaziah Fillmore settled in the town of Ellisburg about 1810-11. His brother, Ethni Fillmore, located later in Mrch of 1815, with his family. A third brother, John Fillmore, died in Vermont. Joseph Fillmore, a son, was a resident of Henderson but lived for several years in the northwest part of Ellisburg.
Willard Alverson came from Halifax, Windham Co., VT. And located in Henderson in Feb. 1817. In the fall of that year he moved to Ellisburg and made a permanent settlement on the farm where he resided with his son, Wallace W. Alverson. For a short time after arriving, Willard lived with his uncle, Knight D. Reed, who had settled in Henderson several years previously and who moved to Ellisburg with Willard. Knight D. Reed was also from Windham Co., VT. The previous owner of the Willard Alverson farm was John Haskins. Haskins and his brother, Joseph, settled together and lived close to the lake. Drifting sands and Stony Creek overflowed to such an extent that they had to move to a greater distance from the lake. The Haskins were in the business of burning lime, quarrying stone from an outcropping strata in the area. The Haskins place was finally purchased by Samuel Matteson, who was living near the Wardwell settlement, north of Pierrepont Manor. John Haskins' son, Horace, emigrated to Sycamore, DeKalb Co., IL.
Salmon D., John and Aaron Blanchard with their father, located in Henderson some time previous to 1817 and later moved to Ellisburg, where the elder Blanchard built a blacksmith shop was of the Alverson place. Two of the sons, Aaron and John, built a saw mill on Big Stony Creek in Henderson. The three sons later went west-Aaron and John driving through to Illinois with their teams and settling at St. Charles, Kane Co., IL, and Salmon moved to Wisconsin. John died in St. Charles, IL and both knew the blacksmith trade but Aaron also had carpenter skills.
Rufus Richardson who was one of General Washington's lifeguards during the Revolution, settled in town early. He died on 16 Sept. 1841 at 81 and his wife, who was 90, died on 4 June 1851. Son, Freeman, was a soldier in the War of 1812. The old Richardson farm was in the northwest part of town. (Transcriber note: Rufus Richardson was born Sept. 1761 Barre, MA. He married on 24 Feb 1785 at Barre, Worcester Co., MA to Ruth Holden; she was born 4 May 1761. Rufus applied for a pension at Lenox, Madison Co., NY on 22 May 1818. His widow applied from Ellisburg on 27 July 1843 at 82 years. Moved to Ellisburg NY in 1826 A daughter, Sally Richardson Fillmore, age 56 lived at Ellisburgh in 1843. In 1853, a son Rufus H. Richardson, age 57, lived in Buffalo, NY)
William W. Walker, another old settler of Ellisburg, died in 1832. Zephaniah Penney and George Reed (father of Knight D. Read) were also early settlers. Samuel Dean located in March 1810 on the farm later owned by Charles Eastman. Samuel Dean was from Chester, Windham Co., VT and brought his wife, five sons and two daughters. They settled on a farm which was originally taken up by Simeon Daggett who haled from Westmoreland, NH. Samuel Dean's daughter became Mrs. Amos E. Wood, and came to Jefferson in February 1812, after her mother's death, which occurred in December of 1810.
The Eastman, Mason, Hoisington, Wodell and Noble families were among the earliest settlers of Ellisburg.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page
Return to Town of Ellisburg Genweb Page
Copyright 2009 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
Copyright 2017 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page