1. TALMON EVANS was born March 17, 1779 in Hinsdale, Cheshire, NH, a town that was originally a part of Northfield, Franklin, MA. His parents, URIAL and LUCINDA EVANS, were double first cousins. URIAL EVANS, Esq., fought at Ticonderoga during the Revolution.
Talmon was a nephew of Ethni Evans, founder of Evans Mills. He did not immediately follow his uncle to Jefferson County, but instead resided from about 1819-1823 in Clarendon, Rutland, VT. Talmon appears in the 1825 New York State census in Alexandria, Jefferson, NY. On June 28, 1828 he and his wife were received in the Presbyterian Church in Theresa. He died December 9, 1834 in Theresa and is buried at the Kelsey Bridge cemetery.
TALMON married before 1802 in Hinsdale, Cheshire, NH.
SARAH PAGE (SALLY) HOAG She was born in 1778 and died of consumption in Theresa on February 3, 1847. Sally may have been a relative of Benjamin Hoagg of Northfield, Franklin, MA, but her ancestry remains unknown.
+ 2 i. OLIVER GRISWOLD EVANS married LORINDA LATHROP
+ 3 ii. GILMAN EVANS married MARY ANNE KELSEY
+ 4 iii. ELLENOR EVANS married GEORGE MORGAN
+ 5 iv. ALBERT EVANS married (1) MARYETTE CARNEGIE; (2) ELIZA E BOWERS
2. OLIVER GRISWOLD EVANS was born November 2, 1802 in Hinsdale, Cheshire, NH. As stated in his obituary, he left his native place when about twelve years old, and there resided until his majority, settling in Theresa in about 1823. A member of the Theresa Presbyterian church and later the M.E. church, Oliver died in Theresa on August 4, 1889.
LORINDA LATHROP of New York before 1827. She was born in 1802 in Springfield, MA and died on October 8, 1883. Lorinda's widowed mother was said to have married Judge Ethni Evans as her third husband. Oliver and Lorinda are buried at the Kelsey Bridge cemetery in Theresa.
6 i. ARZELIA EVANS married GEORGE HOWLAND
7 ii. HENRY H. EVANS served as General Grant's body guard, and died in 1863
8 iii. MARIETTE EVANS married MILTON E. WHEELER
9 iv. SYLVIA S. EVANS married PHILANDER E. WHEELER
3. GILMAN EVANS was born December 17, 1804 in Hinsdale, Cheshire, NH. According to Theresa's history, he purchased one of the first oil lamps in Theresa. In 1847 he was elected elder of the Presbyterian Church. He died June 4, 1875 and is buried at Oakwood cemetery.
Gilman married MARY ANNE KELSEY March 30, 1847 in Edmeston, Otsego, NY. A daughter of James Kelsey and Lydia Nichols, she was born October 28, 1814, and died April 20, 1894.
+ 10 i. SARAH ELLEN EVANS married CHARLES CARROLL EDDY
11 ii. ALICE MARIA EVANS married EDWARD STERLING
12 iii. MARY ADA EVANS married ABNER BAKER HUNTINGTON
+ 13 iv. GILMAN PITT EVANS married (1) KATE ELIZABETH MOAK; (2) SALLIE
4. ELLENOR EVANS was born May 27, 1809 in Hinsdale, Cheshire, NH, per Hinsdale town records. Around the age of ten she removed with her family to Rutland County, Vermont, and in about her 14th or 15th year continued on with them to Jefferson County, NY. She married in Theresa and gave birth to nine children there before the family moved in about 1845 to Fox Lake, Dodge, WI. She and her husband sent most of their children to study at Oberlin College, a center of abolitionist activity. Ellenor died on Christmas Day, 1881 in Los Angeles, CA, where several of her children resided.
ELLENOR married GEORGE MORGAN, son of Edward Morgan and Mercy Washburn, on June 26, 1827 in Theresa, Jefferson, NY. George's parents are buried at Kelsey Bridge cemetery in Theresa.
14 i. HELEN L. MORGAN
15 ii. CHARLES ELI MORGAN married MARIA S.
16 iii. GEORGE WASHBURN MORGAN married ALICE SABRINA BROWN
17 iv. JAMES E. MORGAN married IRENE E.
18 v. SARAH JANE EVANS MORGAN married JACKSON GEORGE COIL
19 vi. CALEB MORGAN married HELEN A. PROPER
20 vii. MARY MORGAN married VITALIS STEPHEN RUNNELS as his 2nd wife
21 viii. ALBERT TALMON MORGAN* married CAROLYN VICTORIA HIGHGATE
22 ix. WILLIAM A. MORGAN married CORNELIA J.
23 x. OLIVER GILMAN MORGAN died in 1875.
24 xi. ADSIT C. MORGAN died after 1859, may have had a twin, Adolph C. Morgan
25 xii. FRANKLIN MORGAN d. y.
*Author of "Yazoo, or, On the Picket Line of Freedom for the South."
5. ALBERT EVANS was born May 10, 1811 in Hinsdale, Cheshire, NH. He served as a private in the Civil War, recording his age as 44 rather than 53. He enlisted on August 24, 1864 in Company E in the 186th NY Infantry using the name Evens. Albert fought at Petersburg, VA. His son Gil also served in the Civil War, which took him to Missouri. Gil took to the area and returned there to live after the war. Ultimately, Albert as well as most of the family followed him to Missouri. Albert died in 1898 in Dudenville, Jasper, MO.
MARYETTE CARNEGIE, daughter of James Carnegie and Elizabeth ---, in about 1836. Maryette was born January 4, 1816 in Plessis, Alexandria, Jefferson, NY and died February 6, 1874 in Jasper County, MO.
26 i. ELIZA EVANS married FREDERICK STEESE HAUGHAWOUT
+ 27 ii. GILMAN (GIL) EVANS married REBECCA ORINDA JOHN
+ 28 iii. ORIN or ORREN EVANS married (1) FANNIE J. BARRETT; (2) CORDELIA ELIZABETH CLEVELAND
29 iv. AMANDA MARYETTE EVANS married ELBERT BUCK
30 v. JAMES CARNEGIE EVANS married HARRIET EMILY HAZEN
31 vi. OSBORNE EVANS d. y. in Aug 1863
32 vii. WARREN S. EVANS married SIAMDIA and died in Oklahoma
33 viii. FRANKLIN EVANS d. y.
Albert married ELIZA E. BOWERS on November 13, 1877 in Jasper County, MO. She was born in about 1836 in Ohio, and died after 1880.
27. GILMAN (GIL) EVANS was born at Alexandria Bay on August 11, 1839. He served as 1st Sgt in Co. L, 18th Regt NY Infantry. On February 16, 1871 he married REBECCA ORINDA JOHN. He died June 5, 1910 in Columbia, Boone, MO; Rebecca died in Missouri on June 18, 1903.
34 i. GEORGE ALBERT EVANS married LOUIZA RUBEY PREWITT
28. ORIN or ORREN EVANS was born in Alexandria on October 20, 1841. He served in Co.s D & F, 94th NY Infantry, 2nd Corps. Orin was wounded at Second Bull Run, and was remembered for having traveled one thousand miles to vote for Abraham Lincoln.
In about 1870 he married FANNIE J. BARRETT of Theresa, daughter of Lewis Barrett and Delia Frances Lyman.
35. i. FRED BARRETT EVANS married (1) KATE E.; (2) ELMA G.
Orin married second,
CORDELIA ELIZABETH (CORDIE) CLEVELAND. ALBERT died in Clarkston, Asotin, WA on June 21, 1918. Cordie died there on June 27, 1927.
36 ii. BESSIE M. EVANS
37 iii. ALMA BELL EVANS d.y.
38 iv. ORIN CLEVELAND EVANS married and had a son
Return to Town of Theresa
Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page