1. WILLIAM A. FLINT was born 7 July 1776 d 16 Feb. 1872, a son of ADAM FLINT and MARY ELIZABETH HORNING, daughter of DEDRICK HORNING AND MARIA MARGARETHA KRAUS. Child's Gazetteer of Rodman notes that ADAM FLINT, a British soldier, was the first of that name to locate in this country. His son, ADAM FLINT, JR., served in the French and Indian War, and in the Revolutionary War, and became a resident of Montgomery County, NY. Montgomery County records show that Adam Flint, Jr. settled there before the Revolutionary War at the Town of Canajoharie; he was born 10 October 1732 and died 12 Feb 1829 in Montgomery Co.
It was there that our subject, William A. Flint, was born. WILLIAM located at Rodman, Jefferson Co., in 1808. The farm that he worked eventually was occupied by his son, CYRUS C. FLINT. WILLIAM was a member of the M. E. Church and one of the first members of the Masonic Lodge in Rodman.
He married 10 Nov. 1802,
MELINDA RUSSELL, daughter of JOHN RUSSELL who was was born 8 June 1784 and d 13 May 1855
William and Malinda are buried in the Fairview Cemetery at Rodman.
3. MARTHA FLINT, daughter of WILLIAM A. FLINT and MARY ELIZABETH HORNING was born 20 June 1805 and died 28 Sep 1885
She married RICHARD LYON
4. RUSSELL FLINT, son of WILLIAM A. FLINT and MARY ELIZABETH HORNING was born 21 March 1808 and died 17 October 1846.
He married ELIZABETH BELCHER who was born 1812 and died 8 July 1899. Russell and Elizabeth are buried in Fairview Cem., Rodman
5. MELINDA FLINT, daughter of WILLIAM A. FLINT and MARY ELIZABETH HORNING was born 21 July 1810 in Jefferson Co., NY and died 24 March 1887
She married on 14 Sept 1830
WILLIAM C. KEELER who was born 8 Jan 1808 in Mexico, Oswego Co., NY and died 3 Nov 1872. He was the son of ISAIAH W. KEELER and LUCINDA (CURTIS) KEELER, who were married 10 Dec. 1806 at Johnstown, Ontario, Canada. LUCINDA was born 8 May 1811 and died 13 March 1885. ISAIAH W. KEELER was born 17 June 1784 at Stillwater, NY and died 14 April 1850 at Lockport, PA. Isaiah W. was the son of ISAIAH KEELER and SARAH MOSHER SCIDMORE. Isaiah is listed in the DAR index having served in the Revolutionary War. Although Isaiah and Sarah farmed at Elizabethtown, Ontario, Canada, when the War of 1812 began, he returned to the States and settled as Mexico in Oswego Co., NY His property in Canada was confiscated.
11. CYRUS C. FLINT b 31 July 1823 d 19 Dec 1910 . He was a twin of CYRINUS C. FLINT
He married 10 March 1844
MARY KIRKLAND who was born 17 June 1820 and d 16 Feb 1907. She is buried in the Fairview Cemetery, Rodman
12. CYRINUS C. FLINT, son of WILLIAM A. FLINT and MARY ELIZABETH HORNING, was born 31 July 1823 d August 1899 married RIZA STANFORD. Her father, GILES STANFORD. Riza was born 1828 and died 1860. Cyrenus and Riza are buried in Fairview Cem. Rodman. CYRINUS was a twin of CYRUS FLINT, above.
13. JANE SARAH LYON, daughter of MARTHA FLINT and RICHARD LYON was born c1839 and died 1911
NOBLE POOLE who was born about 1831 at Ellisburg, Jefferson Co., NY, the son of BARNABUS POOLE and his second wife, MARY POLLY MARTIN, lived at Ellisburg, NY. SARAH JANE and NOBLE POOLE had a family and lived at various times in both Rodman, and Adams, NY. Four of their daughters joined DAR on John Russell's service, father of Melinda Russell above.
14. GEORGE FLINT, son of RUSSELL FLINT was born 24 June 1834 and d 1 April 1914.
REBECCA HOUGHTALING, who was born 8 Sept 1837 and d 7 Nov. 1900, daughter of PETER HOUGHTALING.
Sources: Child's Gazetteer; cemetery records; census records; the RUSSELL-FLINT-KEELER Bible now in possession of LDS in Utah; records of Montgomery Co. NY; DAR and SAR Records; records of Sheila McIntire - The Family of Mildred Poole of Ellisburg, NY.; Marilyn K. who sent the transcribed Bible records. 20
Transcriber's Note: There are many descendants within this line of Flint families in Jefferson Co., NY. For that reason, I am including information on the parents of William Adam Flint who married Melinda Russel and resided in Jefferson Co., NY. Descendants who are seeking admission to DAR/SAR will find it easier to assemble paperwork by going through Melinda Russel's line.
William A. Flint was the son of Adam Flint of Canajoharie, Montgomery Co., NY. The following will of Adam Flint is from Montgomery Co., NY Wills, Vol. 4, p. 235:
Adam Flint named his two daughters: Susannah and Peggy
Named his son, Adam
Named his daughter, Elisabeth
Named his daughter, Hannah
Named his son, WILLIAM.
Adam direct his son, Adam, to stay on the family farm and take care of Susannah and Peggy. He appointed Robert Bowman, Peter Walradt, Jr. and Thomas Sammous of Canajoharie as executors.
Will dated: 18 Feb. 1828
/s/ Adam Flint
Witnesses: Benj. J. Sammous, Alvy Bowman and Charles Bowman
Will proved: 12 Feb. 1829.
Adam Flint's wife was MARY ELIZABETH HORNING, born 1758, d 1834. She was baptized in the Reformed Church of Albany, daughter of Dietrich Horning Sr. (b 15 March 1731) and Maria Margarita Kraus Horning. Dietrich married Maria, who was born 15 Sept. 1731; her parents were Jacob Kraus and Catherine Elizabeth Nellis. Jacob and Catherine lived in the Dick patent near Bowman's Creek (Sprout Brook) in the town of Canajoharie.
Dietrich was a Rev. War soldier and was captured in the Battle of Oriskany. He was appointed ensign in Capt. Gross's Co. of the 1st Regt of the Tryon Co. militia under Col. Samuel Clyde in 1778. He was also appointed LT. In Capt. John Bowman's co., in 1790. He had 3 or 4 sons killed in the war, all enlisted in the same regiment. The militia roster shows Adam, George, John and Lambert. His will was made 22 May 1793 and probated 19 April 1827. Executors were Dietrich Jr. and Adam. Dietrich died in 1793, unknown date. He may have been buried in the old Horning Cem. Near Sprout Brook. Some of the remains from this cemetery were transferred to the Ames Cemetery. His will mentions his wife and all children except John and Lambert.
An additional note:
Mary had a sister named Mary Margaret, born 1760, who married Robert Flint, Jr.
For further information, contact: Msapienza
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page
Return to Town of Rodman
Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page