Children of James Fulton and Hannah Ellis:
2 i ROBERT FULTON born 23 May 1773; lived in Thetford, VT Note: The Hist. Of Guilford VT mentions that Robert Fulton purchased the farm of David Culver.
+ 3 ii JAMES FULTON JR born 7 May 1775; lived Champion; soldier in War of 1812; married SALLY CHOATE in 1799.
+ 4 iii CALEB FULTON, son of JAMES FULTON, was born 11 May 1777. He married POLLY BARNES.
+ 5 iv DAVID FULTON of Jefferson Co, NY, born 25 Dec 1779; married JENNIE TAGGART
+ 6 v DANIEL FULTON born 21 March 1784; settled in Jefferson Co NY; died 1875 in Ohio. He married POLLY WOOD.
+ 7 vi ELIJAH FULTON of Jefferson Co, NY born 2 Feb. 1788 in Colerain, MA; married PHEBE BENNETT in about 1810.
8 vii NATHAN FULTON of Iowa, born 25 April 1790 in Colerain, MA; died c 1844; woolen manufacturer; married PHILLENA HASTINGS. He operated a cloth mill in Watertown and died about 1844 in Iowa.
9 viii JESSE FULTON of Colerain MA, born 25 July 1792; died 12 March 1834; farmer; married SOPHRONIA FRANKLIN.
10 ix SARAH FULTON was born in Colerain on 28 April 1797. She married JABEZ FRANKILIN and lived in Guilford, VT. When Sarah's father died in 1834, her mother, Hanah Ellis Fulton lived with her for about five years. Sarah died in Guilford in 1872. Sarah related that as her mother, Hannah, was older that sudden noises provoked her to become alarmed with exclamations that the Indians were coming. She had witnessed as a little girl the Indian attacks of her birth home.
3. JAMES FULTON JR, son of JAMES FULTON and HANNAH ELLIS, was born 7 May 1775; lived Champion; soldier in War of 1812; married SALLY CHOATE in 1799. She was born 17 Oct. 1777 and died 11 April 1851 in Champion, Jefferson Co NY. James settled in Champion in 1806, was a farmer, and died 20 June 1838 in Rutland, where he bought the Carpenter homestead.
Children of James Fulton Jr. and Sally Choate:
+ 11 i SAMUEL FULTON born 7 Oct. 1799 Colerain, MA; died 13 Nov. 1881; married 1834-35 AVASTIA WALDO who was born 28 Feb 1813 in Rossie NY, daughter of JAREM AND LOIS (KINNE) WALDO. Avastia died 6 Sept 1876 at her home.
12 ii GEORGE FULTON born 1803; died 1879
13 iii RICHARD FULTON born 1807; died 1871
+ 14 iv JESSE FULTON of Watertown NY born 5 March 1812. He married on 2 August 1847 MARY SCOTT.
15 v LUCY FULTON
16 vi HANNAH FULTON
17 vii NATHAN FULTON
18 viii MARIA FULTON
19 ix ELEANOR FULTON
4. CALEB FULTON, son of JAMES FULTON and HANNAH ELLIS, was born 11 May 1777. He moved from Colerain MA to Wilna, Jefferson Co. in 1810 by way of Guilford, VT. There he took up 50 acres and built a log house on Road 62. He was a soldier in the War of 1812 and married POLLY BARNES. She died 4 March 1865 and Caleb died 8 Oct. 1863 at 87 years.
Children of Caleb Fulton and Polly Barnes:
20 i SIMEON FULTON born 4 April 1809 in Guilford, VT; he married 30 May 1838 LARISSA M. SMITH, who was born 15 April 1816 in Bordentown, NJ, daughter of JOHN AND SUSAN (RANIER) SMITH who came to Wilna in 1818.
+ 21 ii JAMES FULTON son of Caleb and Polly Fulton, was born 17 April 1816. He married CAROLINE NICHOLS.
+ 22 iii ELISHA FULTON was born 17 July 1823 in Wilna. He married on 3 March 1852 ANGELICA CLEARWATER.
23 iv FANNY FULTON married JEREMIAH LANPHEAR
24 v MARY FULTON married SAMUEL KEYES of Wilna, where she lived and died
25 vi SALLY FULTON
26 vii LYDIA FULTON
27 viii PHILURA FULTON married HENRY GUSTIN; she m 2nd CHARLES HOSFORD
28 ix WILLIAM FULTON
5. DAVID FULTON of Jefferson Co, NY, son of JAMES FULTON and HANNAH ELLIS, was born 25 Dec 1779; married JENNIE TAGGART in Guilford, VT, daughter of Thomas Taggart, who was among the early residents of Ellisburg, Jefferson Co. David settled on a farm in Champion in about 1806 and prior to 1817 he moved to the town of Henderson and in 1836 to Ellisburg. He died there on 5 June 1856. Jennie survived him by eighteen years and passed away on 13 October 1874 at the age of 91 years.
Children of DAVID FULTON and JENNIE TAGGART:
29 i JOHN FULTON became a Baptist clergyman and died in Abilene, Kansas
+ 30 ii DAVID FULTON JR; born 15 Nov 1817 in Henderson NY; died 9 Oct 1886; married SARAH ELLIS.
+ 31 iii LUKE FULTON born 18 Aug 1824 in Henderson and grew up in Ellisburg. He married LYDIA A. TERRY.
32 iv BETSEY FULTON; married JABEZ H. FELT, a farmer of Adams
33 v HANNAH FULTON married ALOSES BARRETT a farmer of Ellisburg
34 vi SUSAN FULTON – unmarried; died at 24 years
35 vii JANE FULTON married MARLIN WOOD
36 viii SALLY FULTON married N. FELT and died in Kansas
37 ix LAURA FULTON married WARREN B. FELT and lived in Ft. Wayne, Indiana
38 x ALARY FULTON married EVERETT BARNEY and died near Fort Wayne.
6. DANIEL FULTON, son of JAMES FULTON and HANNAH ELLIS, was born 21 March 1784; settled in Jefferson Co NY; died 1875 in Ohio. He married POLLY WOOD. Daniel came to Champion in 1810 and was in the cloth dressing and wool carding business. He was a participant in the War of 1812 and located on a farm in Champion in 1815. In 1836 he moved to a farm near Elyria, Ohio and died there in 1875. Polly died in 1864.
Children of Daniel Fulton and Polly Wood:
39 i HIRAM FULTON of Champion NY died 1876; married POLLY JONES
40 ii ELIJAH FULTON of Antwerp NY born 1811 in Champion.. Clothier by trade; married in 1840 BETSEY HEALD. She died about 1855 and he married in 1865 to LAVINA A. ELLIS of Antwerp, daughter of JOSEPH P. ELLIS AND ALMIRA STEEL. Joseph Ellis was a son of LUKE ELLIS of Wareham, MA and not of the same family as Richard Ellis.
41 iii ROBERT FULTON of Pittsfield OH; married LOIS VAUGHAN
42 iv RUEL FULTON; Civil War soldier; married MARY HUMPHREY; lived Ohio dc 1885
43 v GAYLORD FULTON
44 vi ANN FULTON
45 vii ROXANA FULTON
7. ELIJAH FULTON of Jefferson Co, NY, son of JAMES FULTON and HANNAH ELLIS, was born 2 Feb. 1788 in Colerain, MA; died about 1829. Was a woolen manufacturer and married PHEBE BENNETT in about 1810. He settled at Carthage in that year and started a woolen mill. Elijah died about 1829 at Great Bend in Jefferson Co. HORATIO G. NEWCOMB was appointed guardian of his children when his father's estate was settled.
Children of Elijah Fulton and Phebe Bennett:
46 i SYLVIA FULTON
47 ii BENNETT FULTON
48 iii HARRIET FULTON
49 iv JOHN FULTON
11. SAMUEL FULTON, son of JAMES FULTON Jr. and SALLY CHOATE was born 7 Oct. 1799 Colerain, MA; died 13 Nov. 1881; married 1834-35 AVASTIA WALDO who was born 28 Feb 1813 in Rossie NY, daughter of JAREM AND LOIS (KINNE) WALDO. Avastia died 6 Sept 1876 at her home.
Children of Samuel Fulton and Avastia Waldo:
50 i AMELIA LOIS FULTON married DE MARQUIS LAFAYETTE LEWIS of Champion
51 ii JAMES FULTON who was an inventor and manufacturer at Carthage; two notable inventions were the hay fork and fire escape
52 iii JEROME FULTON a resident of Linden, Illinois
53 iv HASKIL BRAINARD FULTON was born 8 Oct 1849 in Champion; he married on 26 Dec. 1879 MATILDA HUBBARD, daughter of MOSES HUBBARD. She was born July 1859 in Champion. They had two children.
14. JESSE FULTON of Watertown NY, son of JAMES FULTON Jr. and SALLY CHOATE was born 5 March 1812 on the family farm in Champion. He married on 2 August 1847 MARY SCOTT, a native of Rutland, daughter of REUBEN and SARAH (GOLDING) SCOTT, who were pioneer settlers. She died in Dec. 1892. Jesse died on 12 March 1893 at 81 years.
Child of Jesse Fulton and Mary Scott:
54 v IDA EUDORA FULTON born 7 Sept. 1849; lived in Rutland until 1892 and married 20 Dec. 1870 to GEORGE B. HADDOCK.
21. JAMES FULTON son of CALEB and POLLY (BARNES) FULTON, was born 17 April 1816 and died 21 June 1868. He was a farmer on Lot 904 in the town of Wilna, near the village of Natural Bridge. He married CAROLINE NICHOLS in November of 1843 and lived at Wilna, NY.
Children of James Fulton and Caroline Nichols:
55 i JOHN C. FULTON born 14 August 1844 at Wilna. He married on 13 Nov. 1869 to MARY L. WOODWARD,
Children of John C. Fulton and Mary Underwood:
a)CARRIE E. FULTON a teacher
b)EDWIN W. FULTON; machinist lived at Watertown
c)BETH W. FULTON died at nine years
d)HERBERT FULTON died at six years
e)CARRIE E. FULTON
f)MABEL FULTON married CHARLES W. GLEASON, who was a mechanical engineer.
56 ii FRANCIS FULTON born 1 Feb 1846; died 13 Dec 1885; married SARAH BROWN, and had child, LUCY FULTON
57 iii SIMEON FULTON born 6 June 1848; died 23 Sept. 1864
58 iv MARY FULTON born 8 March 1851; married THEODORE WILKINSON
22. ELISHA FULTON, son of CALEB and POLLY (BARNES) FULTON, was born 17 July 1823 in Wilna. He was married and died 11 Nov 1886 in his 64th year. Widow and three children survived him. He married on 3 March 1852 ANGELICA CLEARWATER, who was born 20 Oct. 1827 in Johnstown, NY, daughter of JACOB CLEARWATER AND HESTER SHELEY. Jacob was born in Marbletown, Ulster Co NY, a son of DANIEL CLEARWATER. Jacob Clearwater moved about 1836 to Carthage NY with his family and six years later settled on a farm on the eastern border of Wilna where he died on 4 Sept. 1850. Jacob married HESTER SHELEY, also a native of Johnstown.
Children of Elisha Fulton and Angelica Clearwater:
59 i MARIA L. FULTON married CHARLES DEVOIS and did young of consumption
60 ii SEDATE FULTON born 9 March 1856; married E. G. LEWIS
61 iii JOSEPH FULTON – twin
62 iv JANE FULTON – twin born 22 Sept 1858
63 v CLARK FULTON born 23 Jan. 1867
30. DAVID FULTON JR of Belleville, NY was a son of DAVID FULTON and JENNIE TAGGART; born 15 Nov 1817 in Henderson NY; died 9 Oct 1886; married 13 Jan. 1841 SARAH ELLIS, daughter of THOMAS ELLIS of Ellisburg. Sarah Ellis was born in 1816 and lived and died on the homestead.
Children of David Fulton and Sarah Ellis:
64 i JAMES FULTON married FRANCES GRANT of Belleville
65 ii THOMAS E. FULTON born 15 May 1849; married ABBIE EVANS of Belleville on 18 Sept. 1877. She was the born in Boston, MA on 21 Sept. 1850, daughter of HORATIO AND ELLEN M. (MAYO) EVANS.
66 iii DAVID FULTON born 15 May 1852 on the family farm. He married on 25 Nov. 1880 ELLA M. YOUNG, daughter of JOSEPH AND ELIZA E. (CLARK) YOUNG. David died on 26 Jan. 1894.
67 iv CHARLES N. FULTON d Buffalo 1 Aug. 1895; conductor on the NY Cent. RR
31. LUKE FULTON was a son of DAVID FULTON and JENNIE TAGGART. He was born 18 Aug 1824 in Henderson and grew up in Ellisburg. He married on 28 June 1849 LYDIA A. TERRY, who was born 14 Nov. 1831 in Pamelia, daughter of SILAS TERRY AND JULIA WEBB, who came from Long Island NY to Pamelia in 1830. Lydia died on 1 June 1884.
Children of Luke Fulton and Lydia Terry:
68 i HANNAH JANE FULTON married WILLARD E. SAXE of Watertown
69 ii ELLA J. FULTON
70 iii INEZ E. FULTON married WILLIAM H. FOX of Mannsville, NY
55. JOHN C. FULTON, the son of JAMES FULTON and CAROLINE NICHOLS was born 14 August 1844 at Wilna and raised on the farm. He was a teacher and lawyer. He married on 13 Nov. 1869 to MARY L. WOODWARD, a native of Philadelphia NY, daughter of ERASMUS D. and EUNICE C. (CRANDALL) WOODWARD. Eunice was born in Norway, Herkimer Co. NY. Erasmus D. was a son of DR. CALEB WOODWARD, who practiced medicine at Evans Mills. EUNICE was the daughter of JOHN AND MARY (BROWING) CRANDALL of Rhode Island.
Children of John C. Fulton and Mary L. Woodward:
71 i CARRIE E. FULTON a teacher
72 ii EDWIN W. FULTON; machinist lived at Watertown
73 iii BETH W. FULTON died at nine years
74 iv HERBERT FULTON died at six years
75 v CARRIE E. FULTON
76 vi MABEL FULTON married CHARLES W. GLEASON, who was a mechanical engineer.
Source: Hist. Of Northern NY by Cutter; Oakes; Geneal. Of Fulton Family, Ellis Family; VIR
EDWIN W. FULTON, son of JOHN C. AND MARY LOUISE FULTON, was born on 20 October 1872 at Carthage. He married at Philadelphia on 30 June 1896 to MYRTLE L. STRICKLAND, who was born at Philadelphia, on 30 June 1896, to GEORGE AND ADA (MASSEY) STRICKLAND.
Return to Town of Ellisburg.
Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page