This G.A.R. post list was provided by Benedict R. Maryniak of Lancaster NY, who was the Chaplain for the 94th Regiment of Volunteers Reenactment organization and president of the Buffalo NY Civil War Roundtable. The dates following each post indicate the official date of chartering and surrender of the charter, that is, the time period for which the post was active. Notes following this information concern the soldier for whom the post was named.
#14 - Town of Brownville: Pvt Julius Broadbent, Co K 35th NYV - Dexter - 1868 to 1872
- joined at Dexter May 1861, age 20, KIA Antietam, MD.
#15 - City of Watertown: no namesake - Watertown - 1867-1871
#188 - Town of Brownville: Pvt Julius Broadbent, Co K 35th NYV - Dexter - 7-5-1883 to 1934
- See NY post #14.
#268 - Town of Cape Vincent: Brevet Maj Gen Delos Bennet Sackett, USArmy - Cape Vincent - 4-1-1895 to 1912
- born Cape Vincent 1822, in USArmy from 1840s, Mexican war vet; Major 1st US Cav, Lt. Col. 2nd US Cav, Lt Col 5th US Cav 1861; Col in USArmy Inspector-General's Dept from Fall of 1861; Brevet Brig Gen USArmy; died Washington DC, buried St John's Episcopal Churchyard, Cape Vincent NY.
#269 - Town of Wilna: Pvt Edgar B Steele, Co I, 35th NYV - Carthage - 5-12-1882 to 1931
- born 1842, enlisted as company musician June 1861; lost his left foot at Fredericksburg VA; became a shoemaker; died 3-6-1878.
#273 - Town of Henderson: Col Alexander Piper, 10th NYHA - Henderson - 7-29-1882 to 1920
- mustered 7-1-1851 as 2nd Lt in 3rd US Artillery; to Capt 3rd US Artillery; on staffs of Daniel Tyler & WT Sherman; Chief of Artillery for John Pope July 1862; brevet major USArmy for gallantry in Northern VA 8-30-62, mustered as Colonel of 10th NYHA 1-7-63; brevet Lt colonel USArmy for bravery during siege of Petersburg 6-15-64; mustered out with regt July 1865.
#300 - Towns of LeRay and Rutland: Sgt Hiram Veber, Co D, 10th NYHA - Black River - 4-1-1902 to 1928
- joined as a private at Champion August 1862, age 32, promoted to Sgt December 1864; WIA 4-2-1865 at the Bermuda Front; recd a disability discharge in hospital on David's Island, NY Harbor, 10-5-1865.
#306 - Town of Theresa: Capt George W. Flower, Co C, 35th NYV - Theresa - 11-8-1882 to 1933
- joined at Theresa as Capt age 30; suffered severe concussion at Antietam and requested a disability discharge 11-5-1862; postwar mayor of Watertown NY; his brother was NY governor; died 1881.
#323 - City of Watertown: Lt Col Joe Spratt, 10th NYHA - Watertown - 12 29 1882 to 1937
- joined as Captain Battery H, 1st NYLA in Watertown Aug 1861 age 28, WIA 5-31-62; mustered as Lt Col 10th NYHA 2-5-63; discharged 4-5-64.
#334 - Town of LeRay: Capt. Chauncey Wilkie, Co I, 14th NYHA - Evans Mills - 1-17-1883 to 1905
- joined at Le Ray Jan 1864 as captain age 28, died of typhoid 8-1-64 aboard transport en route to Washington DC.
#345 - Town of Ellisburg: Capt. Calvin P. Burch, Co G, 24th NY Cavalry - Ellisburg - 3-7-1896 (never organized?)
- joined 24th NYV Co H at Orwell May 1861 as 1st Lt age 25; wounded and captured 8-30-1862 at Bull Run; exchanged and returned to duty 12-18-62; discharged with unit May 1863; joined 24th NY Cav as captain Co G January 1864; KIA 6-18-64 near Petersburg VA.
#360 - Town of Hounsfield: Brig Gen Joseph K Barnes, Surgeon General USArmy - Sackets Harbor - 3-31-1883 to 1918
- born in Philadelphia 1817, he attended Harvard and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania 1838; studied medicine under Navy Surgeon General Harris; veteran of Seminole War & Mexican War; appointed colonel & medical inspector during 1861, he was appointed Acting Surgeon General September 1863 and made a Brig Gen August 1864; he attended Lincoln and Garfield after they were shot; retired 1882; died in Washington DC 1883; buried Oak Hill Cemetery, post named in memoriam.
#364 - Town of Cape Vincent: The Judds - Cape Vincent - 1883 to 1884
Sgt. Elnathan Judd, Co K, 10th NYHA - enlisted 8-12-62 at Cape Vincent as a private age 33 married, mustered 9-11-62 in the "Black River Artillery"; promoted to corporal Nov 1862, to sergeant August 1864; died of gunshot wound 11-14-64 at Armory Square Hospital, Washington D.C.; buried in Cape Vincent, NY.
Pvt Benjamin T. Judd, Co M, 10th NYHA - enlisted 8-12-62 at Cape Vincent as a private age 20 not married, mustered 9-11-62 in the "Black River Artillery"; "shot dead in a rifle pit at Petersburg" 7-1-64 and buried there.
Pvt Charles L Judd, Co M, 10th NYHA - enlisted at Cape Vincent as a private age 25; 8-7-62; transferred to U.S. Navy 4-9-1864.
Pvt Araunah C Judd, Co A, 10th NYHA - enlisted 8-9-62 at Florence NY in the "Black River Artillery"; died of disease 7-16-63 at Regimental Hospital, Fort Baker, Washington DC.
#373 - Town of Antwerp: Sgt Oliver R. McAllister, Co C, 35th NYV - Antwerp - 5-3-1883 to 1926
- joined at as Sgt May 1861 at Antwerp; mustered out with company June 1863.
#381 - Town of Adams: 2nd Lt Dealton W. Cooper, Co G 10th NYHA, Adams - 6-25-1883 to 1928
- joined at Adams Aug 1862 as pvt age 18; Sgt Sept 1862; 2nd Lt 1863; died of typhoid fever 8-5-64 at Ft Monroe.
#409 - Towns of Le Ray and Rutland: 1st Lt Charles S Glass, Co B, 106th NYV - Black River - 9-28-1883 to 1895
- joined Aug 1862 at Ogdensburg as 2nd Lt age 23; to 1st March 1863; discharged for disability August 1863.
#410 - Town of Clayton: Pvt Albert Dennis, Battery D, 1st NYA - Clayton - 10-13-1883 to 1932
- enlisted August 1861 at Stone Mills, age 18, mustered September 1861; rec'd a disability discharge in a general hospital - no date or further details given by NYS AGO report.
#424 - Town of Alexandria: Maj James B Campbell, 6th NYHA - Alexandria Bay - 1-17-83 to 1928
- mustered as captain in Black River Artillery September 1862 age 37 - this became Co M 10th NYHA; made major Feb 1863; WIA 4-2-65 Bermuda Hundred; transferred to 6th NYHA 7-18-65; mustered out with 6th NYHA August 1865 at Washington DC (appted Lt Col but never mustered as such).
#441 - Town of Lyme: 1st Lt Erskine M Camp, Co K, 35th NYV - Three Mile Bay - 1884 (He was briefly the namesake while the post was being organized)
- joined May 1861 at Brownville as 1st Lt, age 29; mustered out 5-20-63 to become captain and assistant quartermaster of USVolunteers.
#441 - Town of Lyme: 1st Lt Edward V. Mayhew, Co G, 94th NYV - Three Mile Bay - 1-3-1884 to 1922
(Regiment's monument at Gettysburg was dedicated 1888)
- born Lyme, NY; farmer; enlisted 10-21-61 at Cape Vincent; mustered 2-21-62 as 2nd Lt Co G; wounded on first day of Second Bull Run, was also in weak condition due to malaria; sent to Alexandria hospital 9-1-62 and "never rtd to the regiment" mustered 1-1-63 as 1st Lt with rank from 11-1-62; discharged as supernumerary on consolidation 3-19-63; wed Amelia Collins at Watertown NY 7-12-68; Nettie A. Mayhew born at Point Peninsula 1-11-69; Lt Mayhew died 1-20-1878 at Sandy Creek NY of heart disease; Amelia wed Stephen S. Jaquay, who died 1885 Chaumont NY; Amelia wed Saml Watrous at Chaumont September 1886, he died July 1913; widowed Amelia in Chaumont during 1916.
#556 - Town of Worth: Cpl Eli S. Gillet,Co C, 186th NYV - Worthville - 1885-1901
- joined for one year August 1864 at Worth, age 19; KIA 4-2-65 at Fort Mahone, outside of Petersburg VA. CDV of Gillet sold by Henry Deeks March 1996 was inscribed on reverse: Eli S Gillet born Feb 22 1845. Fell pierced by a Rebel ball through the head at the Rebel Fort Mahone in front of Petersburg VA after the charge and capture of same April 12 1865"; son of Albert S Gillet, who was superintendent of Worth 1849 and justice of the peace; ASG operated his brother Lorenzo's store at Worth Center 1858-1866; Lorenzo & ASG ran a grist mill at Worth, built 1861.
#588 - Town of Wilna: William T. Sherman - Natural Bridge - 4-13-1891 to 1937
- named in honor of General "Uncle Billy" Sherman, who died 2-14-1891.
#633 - Town of Ellisburg: Capt. John P Buckley, Co K, 24th NYV - Belleville - 8-12-1897 to 1923
- joined as 1st Lt during May 1961 at Belleville, age 24; promoted to captain 12-19-61; KIA 8-30-62 at Second Bull Run, VA.
Return to Jefferson County Civil War Index page
Return to Sanderson Civil War Servicemen Master Files Index
Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page