BIOGRAPHIES AND FAMILY SKETCHES
TOWN OF ELLISBURGH
from The Growth of a Century
by JOHN A. HADDOCK, 1895
These biographies and family sketches are copied exactly as found. Undoubtedly there will be minor variations found in later research.
ASA BROWN, a native of Rhode Island, came from Danbury ,Vt., and settled in
1815, one mile west of Mannsville, where he had purchased timbered land a few
months after he reached Ellisburgh. He helped fell trees in making the road
on what is now Main street, Mannsville and was a man of remarkable physical
strength. Quaker Brown , as he was sometimes called, by reason of his manner
of dress, died in 1863, at the age of 92 years.
DANIEL WARDWELL, son of Col. Samuel Wardwell, was born in Bristol, R.I., in
1791; married in 1815, to Hettie, daughter of Newton and Abigail (Maxey)
Mann. Removed from Rome, N.Y., to Adams in 1817, and in 1822 settled at
Mannsville, and took charge of the purchase his father had made. In 1823 he
began the erection of a cotton factory 40x50 feet, and three stories high,
fitted for 600 spindles, and which stood near the site af the lower
grist-mill. Soon after, Major H. Barzilian Mann purchased a half interest. He
was a son of Newton Mann, who at a very early day was interested in the
manufacture of cotton at Oriskany, N.Y. The factory had been nearly three
years in operation when it was burned, February 16, 1827; loss estimated at
$10,000, and there was no insurance. The factory was not rebuilt, and the
marked growth the village had reached became seriously checked.
Judge Daniel Wardwell continued to make Mannsville his residence until about
1860, when he removed to Rome. He died in 1878, at the age of 87 years.
NEWTON MANN, the first postmaster, was born at Attleboro, Mass., in 1770,
located at Whitesboro in 1806, and removed to Mannsville in 1825, where he
made his home until his death in 1860. He carried on the mercantile business
a number of years at Mannsvillle, and was one of the firm of Mann & Fiske,
dry goods dealers at Ellis Village. He reached venerable years, and was
always a man of sterling worth.
PHILIP WHEELER was born near Troy, N.Y., in 1800; was married about 1824 to
Roxanna Shepard, daughter of Thomas Sheoard, a native of Vermont. Mr. Shepard
and Mr. Wheeler settled at Mannsville in 1825, having purchased several
hundred acres of land of David I. Andrus. Mr. Wheeler , after clearing his
portion, sold it and purchased about 200 acres of Daniel Wardwell, and on
part of which a large portion of Mannsville stands. He was in the mercantile
business 20 years, and accumulated a large property. At the time the
Methodist Church was built, he contributed a large portion of the entire
cost, and was always a useful citizen and a man of honor. Mr. Wheeler died in
November, 1872. To Mr. And Mrs. Wheeler one daughter and five sons were born:
Sally A., Philip, John, Thomas B., William L. and Andrew A. Thomas B.
practiced medicine at Mannsville for several years. He married a daughter of
Andrew Shaw, a prominent merchant of Montreal, Canada, and is now a resident
of that city. William L., who died in 1887, was a surgeon in the United
States navy for eight years; Andrew A., a practicing attorney at Mannsville,
is a graduate of Union College, and also of the Albany Law School.
ROSWELL KINNEY, M.D., was born at Wynart's Kiln, N.Y., in 1802, graduated at
Castleton Vt. Medical College in 1823, and in the spring of 1824 settled at
Mannsville, where practiced medicine nearly 50 years. He was married in 1827
to Abagail M., daughter of Newton Mann. In his profession, as well as a
citizen, Dr. Kinney stood deservedly high. He died May 2, 1874. A granite
monument in Maplewood Cemetery bears the names of Wardwell, Mann and Kinney.
PHILIP P. MARTIN, son of Philip Martin, who settled in Elissburgh in 1806,
was born in Rehoboth, Mass., in 1804. In early life he was a successful
school-teacher, and in grammar was proficient. About 1828 he married Chloe
Lum, and two sons were born to them: Leonard A. and Eugene L. About 1835 he
opened a dry goods store at Mannsville, and carried on a successful business
until his death, when he was succeeded by his sons. He was one of the
founders and a leading member of the Baptist Church, and was its clerk nearly
50 years. He held the office of magistrate 15 or 20 years, and was a man of
marked accuracy. Mr. Martin died December 21, 1881.
GEORGE HOPKINSON was born in the State of New Hampshire, about 1795, married
about 1818 to Isabel C. Tilton, of Scotch descent; came to Ellisburgh in
1839, settling at Rural Hill, and in 1847 at Ellis Village. In early life he
was a hatter, afterwards a farmer. He died in 1856. Four children were born
to Mr. And Mrs. Hopkinson, Geo. M., Daniel T., Augustus and Eliza.
RENSSELAER BIRGE HEALD is the son of Amos Heald, who came from New Hampshire
and settled on the farm where Mr. Heald now lives, and to which he has been
devoted all his life, having now reached the age of 73 years. He married
Harriet Soules, by whom he had three children, Annie Jane, Amos Ward and Dell A., two of whom are
living. Dell A. married A. C. Hill, a graduate of Madison University. He was
principal of Cook Academy, and is now in the Department of Public Instruction
at Albany. Another son-in-law, Mr. Wallace H. Morris, resides on a farm, near
Mr. Heald. Always a consistent member of the Baptist church in Belleville, a
man of sterling principles, ever at the front in promoting a good cause. Mr.
Heald has reached a good old age, beloved by his family, and respected by
HORACE M. WILDS was educated at Union Academy and at the State Normal School,
and subsequently taught school a number of years. He has served as justice of
sessions, justice of the peace and town clerk. In 1868 he married Frances L.,
daughter of George and Tabethy (Martin) Chamberlain. He is now engaged in
mercantile business at Ellisburgh.
JAMES K. POLK BIGELOW was born in 1846, and was reared upon a farm. He
married Mary Josephine, daughter of Jotham and Mary (Rogers) Littlefield, in
1872, and now occupies the homestead, where he was born. George W. is also a
MAJOR ANDREW J. BARNEY, eldest son of Col. Walker Barney, was born at the
ancestral homestead, near Belleville, September, 1829, and in his early
childhood manifested a martial spirit, in his school life giving evidence
that he was born to command. Choosing the profession of law, he studied it at
Belleville and graduated from the Law School at Ballston Spa. Returning to
his old home, an honorable career was opened before him when the sound of war
filled the land, and the drums beat to arms. At once he obeyed the call,
brave men rallied around him. He led them to the battlefield, and was among
the first to fall at the head of his regiment on the fatal field of Bull Run,
choosing death rather than inglorious surrender or retreat. A monument to his
memory marks the spot where he sleeps, near the home that he loved so well.
"So sleep the brave who sink to rest,
By all their country's honors blest."
DEACON EDWARD BARNEY came from Guilford, Vermont, about 1803 and settled in
the town of Ellisburgh. He was physician and farmer. He died in 1835, aged 86
years. Three of his sons , substantial business men, settled and raised
families in that town, and were foremost in efforts to repel invasion during
the War of 1812, especially in defence of Sackets Harbor. They favored
education and were active in founding Union Academy at Belleville, in 1824,
and patronizing it liberally in later years. John, Benjamin and Eliakim
Barney were always stanch friends of Old Union, and gave their sons and
daughters opportunity to share its honors. Hiram H., son of John Barney,
prepared for college at this institution and graduated at Union College in
the class of 1830; studied law, became a distinguished educator in New York
and Ohio. He died some years ago in New York city. His two sons are members
of the publishing firm of Robert Clark & Co., of Cincinnati, Ohio.
Eliam E., son of Benjamin Barney and of Union Academy, graduated from Union
College class of 1831. To the untiring energy and integrity of his father he
added thorough scholarship, business methods and bold adventure, that gave
him success in every enterprise he undertook, whether in literature or
manufactures. He was principal of Lowville Academy for a few years when he
was called to a professorship in Dennison University, and was thence called
to a new enterprise--to organize and equip the Dayton (O.) Academy. This
institution was successfully conducted till health failed. He then engaged in
the lumber business, owning and operating amill in connection therewith. But
an educational venture opened the way for additional honors. Cooper Female
Academy was endowed and its management placed in his charge. Success followed
and he made it one of the best private schools in the State. But again health
failed and a change was imperative. He then organized a company for the
manufacture of agricultural implements, and from a comparatively small
beginning laid the foundation of one of the most complete and extensive car
factories in the country. With it came wealth, honor, troops of friends. He
received the degree of L.L.D. from Denison University. Using wisely and well
the wealth he acquired, he died lamented in 1886, aged 73 years.
GEORGE M. HOPKINSON was born at Meredith Bridge (now Laconia, N.H.), in 1819
and since 1847 has resided at Ellis Village. He was married in 1865 to Mrs.
Hannah A. Denison, and one daughter, Isabel, born to them. Mr. Hopkins was in
the mercantile business many years; was a member of Assembly in 1884, and has
also held the office of supervisor and magistrate.
ISAAC WODELL was born in Hoosac, N.Y. in 1786, and came to Ellisburgh about
1797. He helped on the first mill built by Lyman Ellis, and was in his employ
a few years, receiving in payment 340 acres of land.
PARDON T. WHIPPLE, a native of Rhode Island, located permanently, in 1806, on
the farm south-east of the village, now owned by his son, George Whipple. Mr.
Whipple had been here for a time as early as 1803, near the landing on Sandy
Creek; was a carpenter by trade, and worked on the mills of Lyman Ellis. One
of his sisters married Marvel Ellis. Mr. Whipple died in 1814.
BENJAMIN GRENELL, from Montgomery county, N.Y., settled near Pierrepont Manor
in 1812. He married Keziah Freeman, and three sons and four daughters were
born to them. Of the sons, Ezra Oroscoe was born in 1815; married Abby M.,
daughter of Samuel and Hannah Wardwell, in 1841, and two sons born to them,
William H., in 1846 and Benj. P., in 1843. William H. married
Adelaide E. Allen, in 1867, and two daughters born, Anna W. and Helen Allen.
Benj. P. married Mary E. Robinson, in 1876.
EDMUND LITTLEFIELD, the ancestor of the Littlefields who settled in
Ellisburgh in 1805, came from Tichfield, England, to Boston, in 1637. Edmund,
Jesse and Josiah, the fifth in descent from the above, were of Revolutionary
stock--their father, Edmund, having served in that war, in Captain Amos
Lincoln's company of Crafts artillery. In the year 1805, Edmund and Jesse
moved from Vermont to Ellisburgh with an ox team. They came by the way of Rome and
Redfield, the journey taking them three weeks, reaching Ellisburgh near where
now stands the village of Belleville, on March 17, 1805. Edmund was a Baptist
minister. He soon purchased from the agents of the Constable estate, lots 56
and 58, in the town of Ellisburgh, upon which he settled. He was one of the
founders of the First Baptist Church of Ellisburgh. He died in 1806. Dr.
Hough speaks of him as being a man of considerable influence. Jesse
Littlefield, above mentioned, purchased of Edmund, his brother, 110 acres of
land, and settled upon and cleared it. He died in 1832. Jesse Littlefield,
Jr., son of the above, came with his father's family from Vermont when but a
lad of seven. When he was 16 he was at the battle of Sandy creek, and
assisted in carrying the cable to Sackets Harbor. In 1826 he purchased a lot
of land of Andrew Pennell, built a house on it, and there resided till his
death, in 1872. He was a builder and carpenter, erecting a large number of
buildings - amongst them the old stone Baptist church at Belleville. He was a
member of the First Baptist Church of Ellisburgh for nearly 50 years, and his
seat in the church was seldom vacant. Josiah Littlefield, a brother of Edmund
and Jesse, came from Vermont a few years later, and settled in Ellisburgh.
From these three brothers have descended all the Littlefields who have lived
in Ellisburgh, numbering over 100.
NATHAN C. HOUGHTON, the subject of this sketch, is the third son of Nahum
Houghton, who was born in Marlborough, Vt., and was among the earliest
settlers of Ellisburgh. He was one of those who were called out to take part
in the battle of Big Sandy creek, but was a few minutes too late to take an
active part. He was, however, one of those who helped to carry the big cable
to Sackets Harbor. Nathan C. was born in Belleville, and has always lived
there. He was educated at the public school, and at Union Academy. Until he
was 21, he remained at home, helping on the farm. Thereafter for six or seven
years, he devoted himself to teaching, principally vocal music. The
succeeding four years he spent in the dry goods store of Alexander Dickinson,
after which he entered into business on his own account, and for 16 years he
applied himself to the dry goods trade. For 13 years of that time he was
postmaster, and for three years overseer of the poor. He was also justice of
the peace for two years, refusing to serve longer in that office. He has been
a trustee and treasurer of Union Academy for many years, and also a trustee
of the endowment fund. Always a warm friend of the cause of religion and
education, he has ever contributed liberally to their support. For years he
has carried on the business of a life and fire insurance agency, and general
collecting. He was married in 1858 to Miss Marietta Warrener, daughter of
Walter and Eliza Warrener.
FREDERICK WILLIAMS was a son of Alexander Rhoda Williams,[sic] who came to
Ellisburgh in 1818, and settled on a farm two miles west of the village of
Belleville. Frederick was born on this farm and lived there until he was 25
years of age. He was educated in the common schools and in the Union Academy,
which he attended at intervals for four years. He married Cordelia Swan for
his first wife, by whom he had one child, Frank M. His second wife was
Marionette Swan, sister of his first wife. In 1852 Mr.Williams bought and
settled on a 70-acre lot two miles east of Belleville. He sold that; and in
1861 purchased 63 acres a mile nearer the village, where he now lives. He
commenced the business of growing peas and beans for the seed trade, in 1866,
from which time it has grown into a large and lucrative business. Mr.
Williams has a fine seed house on his premises, where he handles several
thousand bushels of seed every season, giving employment to quite a large
force of hands. His present splendid residence was built in 1872, which, with
its appointments, is one of the finest residences in the town. Mr. And Mrs.
Williams have always taken a great interest in Union Academy, and in the
cause of education generally. He was especially active for the endowment of
the academy, subscribing himself a scholarship fund of $3,000. Mr. Williams
is a most worthy and highly respected citizen. He has been a member of the
Baptist church since he was 15 years of age.
JAMES F. CONVERSE, the youngest son of Thomas and Lydia Converse, was born in
Bridgewater, Oneida county, N.Y. He graduated at Hamilton College at the age
of 23, being prepared at Union Academy. In 1848 he bought the homestead farm
on which he now resides. He has been successfully engaged for several years
in the importation of blooded stock. His stock-farm is unrivalled for its
conveniences, having a barn 165x45 feetin size, with basement underneath the
whole. In 1875 he built his present residence, one of the finest farm-houses
in the whole country. Mr. Converse has been twice married; the first time
Marietta Bull, daughter of Alva and Louisa Bull. She died in 1865, leaving
two children, Frank A. and Marietta May. For his second wife Mr. Converse
married Adelia C. Hopper, daughter of Samuel and Betsey Hopper. Two children,
Geo. Henry and Clara J., are the issue of this marriage. Mr. Converse is a
member of the Congregational Church, and in politics a Republican. He was
especially prominent in organizing the Ellisburgh Agricultural Society.
AARON B. WODELL was reared upon a farm. He married Minerva Aurora, daughter
of Solomon and Mary P. (Gurnsey) Curtis, in 1853, and they have a daughter,
Ada Isadore (Mrs. W.A.Dennison), of Ellisburgh, and a son, Herbert C., born
in 1870, now a student in Adams Collegiate Institute, class of 1889. Mr.
Wodell resides on his farm,on road 100, where he located in 1854.
ISAAC P. WODELL was also reared upon a farm, and was educated at the
Polytechnic Institute in Troy, N.Y. October 30, 1861, he enlisted in Company
K, 94th Regt. N.Y. Infantry; in March, 1862, was promoted to 2d lieutenant,
and in October of the same year to 1st lieutenant. He participated in the
battles of Cedar Creek, Second Bull Run, South Mountain and Antietam, was
wounded in the battle of Frederickburg, and discharged on account of
disability. September 30, 1863, he re-enlisted and was appointed 1st
lieutenant of the Invalid corps, and was afterwards in the Veteran Reserve
Corps, serving until 1867. He married, first, Helen S. Hotchkin, in 1862, who
died in 1867; and second, Mary B. Brown, in 1868, who died in 1870. Mr.
Wodell married for his third wife, Sarah J., daughter of Hiram and Ann (Wood)
Mitchell, and widow of Charles G. Mixer, in 1872, by whom he had a son,
William H., born June 14, 1877. Mr. Wodell has been supervisor of Ellisburg
nine terms. He is a prosperous farmer, and owns the homestead settled by his
father, which has never been owned outside of the family.
WARREN W. WODELL was reared upon a farm. He married Isadore M., daughter of
Eugene and Huldah A. (Williams) Sterns, in 1863, and they have a son, Frank
Eugene, born in September, 1865. In April, 1861, Mr. Wodell enlisted in
Company K, 24th Regt. N.Y. Volunteers. He received an injury to his spine
which compelled him to retire from the army in 1862, and he is still
incapacitated for labor.
NATHANIEL WOOD was reared upon his father's farm, and was twice married. His
first wife, Phoebe, whom he wedded in 1837, died in 1842. He married, second,
Flora J., daughter of Milton and Amelia (Willard) Clark, of Woodville, June
12, 1842, by whom he had two sons, George Milton and Nathaniel J. George M.
Was born in 1843. He married Frankie, daughter of Cyrus and Pamelia
(Goodnough) Littlefield, in 1867, by whom he has a son, George Milton, Jr.,
born November 24, 1880, and a daughter, Fannie, born in 1889. George M. Wood
was educated at Union Academy and in Syracuse. Nathaniel J. Wood was born in
1846, and was also educated at Union Academy and in Syracuse. He married,
first, Almira M., daughter of Samuel J. and Anna Williamson in 1872, who died
in 1876. For his second wife he wedded Mary E., daughter of Samuel and Laura
(Owen) Eaton, in 1885, by whom he has a son, Nathaniel Eaton, born in 1887.
N. Wood & Sons own a large landed estate, are extensively engaged in
manufacturing, and do a large mercantile business at Woodville.
MOSES W. WOOD, born June 26, 1841, married Emily E., daughter of Hermon and
Maria (Brayton) Streeter, in 1867, by whom he has a son and two daughters,
viz: Franklin M., born in 1871; Millie Inez, born May 23,1873, and Myrtie
Jane, born in 1875. Mr. Wood is a farmer and breeder of Holstein cattle. He
owns the Hillside Stock Farm on road 79, at Woodville, where he was born.
STEPHEN WOOD married Britannia, daughter of Apolus and Sally (Boyden) Smith,
in 1844, who bore him three sons and two daughters, viz: George, Ella F. (Mrs.
Brayton Whipple), Alva E., Alice E. (Mrs. J.H. Lovelee), of Henderson, and
James R. The latter was reared upon a farm, and in 1876 married Alice,
daughter of Sylvester and Mary (Kibling) Tyler, by whom he has a son, James A.
JOSEPH A. BEMIS was born in 1833, and was reared upon a farm. He married
Ophelia L., daughter of David and Betsey (Randall) Holley, in 1857, by whom
he has had one son and three daughters, viz: Hugh H., who died in 1882;
Cornelia, Elizabeth and Mary. Mr. Bemis located upon the David Holley Farm,
on road 90, in 1858, and there resides at the present time.
WILLIAM C. McLEAN was born in 1825 and was reared upon a farm. He married
Sarah E., daughter of Ira and Betsey (Marshall) Kemp, in 1864, and they have
had two sons and three daughters, viz: Charles W., who died in infancy;
Nellie E., who married Walter S. Martin; George C., born in 1871; Addie S.,
born in 1872; and Flossie E., born in 1878. Mr. McLean was a sailor on the
lakes, and spent 10 years in California. He is a farmer and owns the
homestead on road 108, where his father settled in 1827.
LODOWICK B. MARTIN was born in a log house and was reared upon a farm. He
married Julia E., daughter of William Bell, October 1, 1850, who died
December 12, 1861. For his second wife he married Lucy C., daughter of
Chauncey and Ursula (Tremain) Perkins, April 27, 1870, who died August 20 of
the same year. For his third wife he married Clarinda Josephine, daughter of
Henry C. and Clarinda (Sweet) Raven of Ilion, N.Y., in 1873, and they have
two children, Warren Benton and Myra Josephine.
ELON R. DOWNER was born upon the homestead in 1817. He married, first,
Harriet Main, in 1839, who bore him two sons, Andrew J.., of Nebraska, and
Avery, who died in childhood. He married, second, Maria Hill, in 1846, who
bore him a daughter, Mary E. (Mrs. J.I.Lee), of Ellisburgh. Upon the death of
his second wife he married Mary Ann, daughter of William and Olive (Myres) Daily, in 1851, and they have a son, William Rawson, born in
1854, and two daughters, Electa Ann, a graduate of Hungerford Collegiate
Institute, class of 1889, and Hattie Adelia, who resides at home. William R.
married Emma, daughter of James Paige, in 1874, and they have two sons,
Jervie E., born in 1877, and Harlie J., born in 1886. Avery Downer died in
1862. Elon D. Downer occupies the farm one mile north of Ellisburgh village.
GEORGE DICKERSON was born in Vermont in 1803, and came to this town with his
parents. He followed the dual occupation of farmer and peddler. In 1827 he
married Priscilla, daughter of Joseph and Abigail (Hadley) Bemis, and in 1828
located on the Robert Ransom farm. He reared children as follows: George,
Jr., now of Wisconsin; William B., now of Iowa; Joseph, who died in
Ellisburgh; Edward, who married Lorena Crassfield; Abigail, who died in
Ellisburgh; Wesley, now of Minnesota; Austin, who married Carrie Miller;
William, who died in 1863, aged 16 years, and Rosilla, who died in 1856, aged
five years. Mr. Dickerson is a prosperous farmer.
ELISHA B. MARTIN was born in Ellisburgh in 1817. He married, first, Phlana,
daughter of Noah and Nancy (Grott) Lamon, in 1841, who died in 1850. He
married, second, Julia, daughter of Milo and Ruth (Cushman) Beman, in 1853,
by whom he has had two sons and one daughter, viz: Mary A., born in 1855;
Herbert E., born in 1859, died in 1863, and Walter S., born in 1861. The
latter, who was reared upon the farm, married Nellie E., daughter of William
C. and Sarah E. (Kemp) McLean, in 1887, and they have a daughter, Julia. Mr.
Martin is a farmer.
CHARLES J. HOLLEY was born in 1841, and was reared upon a farm. In 1862 he
enlisted in Co. K, 94th N.Y. Vols., and participated in the battles of
Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Cold Harbor, Wilderness and
several others. He married, first, Malvina Louisa, daughter of B.F. and
Sophronia (McKee) Wilds, in 1865, by whom he had a son, William H., born in
1865. His wife died the same year, and in 1867 he married Antoinette C.,
daughter of Childs and Sally Ann (McKee) Martin, by whom he has had a son and
two daughters viz: Ardella V., a graduate of Adams Collegiate Institute, class
of 1887, now teaching; Phebe A., who was born in 1873 and died in infancy,
and Floyd M., born in 1874. Mr. Holley is a farmer and owns the Holley
homestead on road 100.
LEONARD L. KENNEDY was born in 1809, and was reared upon a farm. He married
Caroline P., daughter of Edwin and Nancy (Earl) Potter, by whom he has had
two sons and two daughters, viz: Edwin T. and Chas. B., of Ellisburgh; Louisa
E.. who died in 1879, and Hattie (Mrs. J.P.Cooper). Edwin T., born in 1839,
was reared upon a farm. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Co.E, 10th N.Y.H.A.,
and participated in the battles of Petersburg, Cold Harbor, Cedar Creek and
others, and served to the close of the war. He married Betsey A., the
daughter of Daniel L. and Nancy (Martin) Cook, in 1873, and they have a son,
Irving E. Charles B. Kennedy, born in 1852, married Genevieve, daughter of
Miles and Sarah W. (Stacy) Hackley, in 1886, and now resides with his father.
Edwin T. Kennedy owns and occupies the homestead farm.
WILLIAM H. McKEE was born in 1842, and was reared upon his father's farm.
September 9, 1861, he enlisted in Co. I, 78th Regt. N.Y.Vols., and
participated in the battles of the Wilderness, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg and
many others, serving three years. He learned the blacksmith's trade, which
business he still continues. He married Addie, daughter of Nicholas and Lydia
(Kiblin) Christman, in 1866, and they have a son Frank H. born in 1869, who is associated in business with his father. Mr. McKee resides on School street, in Ellisburg village.
CHARLES B. EASTMAN was born in 1828, and was reared upon the farm. He married
Julia A., daughter of John and Maria (Brewster) Meacham, in 1858, and they
have two sons and one daughter, viz: Enos E., John M., a student of Amherst
College, class of 1889, and Angie B., who resides at home. Enos E. Eastman was
born in 1860. He married Alice, daughter of George and Sarah A. (Le Grange)
Van Patten, in 1886, and they have a son, Everett. Mr. Eastman and son, Enos
E., are prosperous farmers. Austin Eastman, mentioned above, was born in
1809, and came with his parents to this town about 1814. He married Sally,
daughter of William and Sally (Mixer) Williams, in 1836, and they have two
sons - Charles A., born in 1836, and John H., born in 1838. The sons are
prosperous farmers and reside with their parents at Belleville.
DANIEL W. LEE was born in 1845, married Mary M., daughter of William and
Hannah (Kibling) Stillwell, in 1868, and they have an adopted son, Eugene S.,
born in 1867. Mr. Lee owns the James Rogers farm, on road 85. John Q. Lee was
born in 1847. He married Mary E., daughter of Elon R. and Maria (Hill)
Downer, in 1870, and their children are Arthur E., Alma N., Alonzo J., and
Manford C. Alden S. Lee was born in 1849. He married Frank J., daughter of
William Sheldon, in 1874, by whom he has a son, Floyd. Chester L. was born in
1855, was reared upon a farm, and educated at the Union Academy, in
Belleville. He taught school several terms. In 1886 he married Addie E.,
daughter of James K. and Mary (Garside) Johnston, and now occupies the old
homestead of 100 acres on road 87. Frank L. was born in 1858. He married Alta
Julia, daughter of Martin E. and Amelia A. (Hall) Wood, in 1883, by whom he
has a son, Ralph M. A. Eugene was born in 1860, and now owns and occupies a
farm on road 96.
W.H.GRENELL, was educated at Union
Belleville. In 1867 he married Adelaide E., daughter of Jerome B. and Olive
A. (Castor) Allen, by whom he has a daughter, Anna W., born in 1873. Benjamin
P. Grenell, born in 1853, married Mary E., daughter of John F. Robinson, in
1876, and now resides with his father, Ezra O., on the homestead near
M.C.PURDY, born in 1848, was reared upon a farm. He married Ida May, daughter
of Percival D. and Catherine (Walradt) Bullard, in 1875, and they had two
sons, Willis R.C., born in 1877, and Percival D.M., born in 1880. Mr. Purdy
is a commercial traveller and resides on road 38.
DYER L. FILLMORE was born June 7, 1827. He married Margeline, daughter of
Seth and Sophia (Maine) Worthington, in 1847, by whom he has a daughter,
Fanny Sophia, who married Frank H. Millard in 1884, and has a son Dyer F.
Millard, who was born in 1887. Mr. Fillmore's wife died in 1875, and in 1876
he married Sophia L., daughter of Franklin and Rachel (Martin) Wood. He is a
farmer and dairyman, and owns the homestead where he was born.
HENRY H. FILLMORE married Mary M., daughter of Ira and Betsey (Marshall)
Kemp, 1866, and they have a son, Menzo E., born in 1868, and a daughter, Emma
Marrietta, born in 1870. Henry H. is a farmer, and resides near Woodville.
Millard M. Fillmore married Jennie, daughter of Horace and Delilah (Brimmer)
Chamberlin, in 1872, and they have a son, Arthur M., born in 1876. Levias
Fillmore, by unremitting industry and frugality, accumulated a large landed
estate. He was noted for his honesty and integrity in all business
transactions. His first wife died in 1868. His second wife, Catharine Hopper,
whom he married in 1869, died in 1885. He died August 5, 1885. His son
Millard M., owns the Trout Brook stock farm, which is the homestead where his
grandfather first settled.
GEORGE A. WASHBURN was born in 1835, and was reared upon a farm. He married
Louisa F., daughter of Peter and Eliza (Skelton) Gilbert, in 1860, and they
have had three sons and one daughter, viz.: Ferdinand, who died in infancy;
Edward, who was born in 1862; Kittie and Byron A. The children all reside
with their parents. Mr. Washburn is a dairyman and farmer, and occupies the
LEWIS E. HOLLISTER, born in 1845, went on the lakes at the early age of 14
years, and at the age of 25 was master of a merchant vessel. He married Ida
F., daughter of Albert and Betsey (Snow) Fuller, in 1865, and they have two
daughters, Alice A. and Edna L. Alice A. married Byron Basinger, October 4,
1888. Mr. Hollister resides at Belleville.
ABNER M. DURFEE was born in 1824, spent his early life upon a farm, and at
the age of 16 years commenced to learn the blacksmith trade. He married
Fidelia, daughter of Charles and Susan (Scott) Baker, in 1847, the result of
this union being two sons and two daughters, viz.: Emma, who died at the age
of two years; Catharine J., Abner M., Jr., of Syracuse, and Charles, who
resides with his father. Mr. Durfee's wife died in 1870, and for his second
wife he married, in 1874, Alice B., daughter of John and Mary (Thomson)
Spicer, and widow of Bradford K. Hawes. His daughter, Catharine J., married
Nathan C. Shaver, who died in 1889. Mr. Durfee was trustee of Union Academy
for more than 20 years. He is a blacksmith and dealer in agricultural
implements, and resides in Belleville.
LUCIEN F. HUDSON was born in 1810, and at the age of 12 years commenced work
in the shop with his father. He soon became an expert scythe and axe maker,
and after the death of his father was entirely competent to conduct the
business. He married Adeline, daughter of Ezra and Polly (Frazier) Sterns, in
1835, who bore him four sons and three daughters, viz.: George S., Mary A.,
Ezra C., Alice (Mrs. H.E.Root), Louisa (Mrs. Fred Jaycox), and Fred E. Mr.
Hudson was a member of a militia company for 20 years, and attained the rank
of captain. He was called with his company to French creek during the Patriot
War. Though advanced in years, he retains to a remarkable degree the vigor of
youth, and from "Early morn till dewy eve" the hammer of industry repeats the
"anvil chorus" of 60 years ago. While his family has grown up in prosperity,
he occupied the cheerful home of his youth on Hudson street. George S. Hudson
was born in 1835 and learned the cabinetmaker's trade. He is now engaged in
the manufacture of furniture at Ellisburgh. In 1862 he married Alice J.,
daughter of Alfred Matteson, and they have two sons, William L., born in
1863, and Louis E., born in 1865, and an adopted daughter Mary C., aged 19
years. Mary A. Hudson married James Colon, of Ellisburgh, in 1865, and their
children are Celia A. and F. Lyell. Ezra H. Hudson, born in 1840, married
Mary E., daughter of Benjamin F. and Sophronia C. (McKee) Wilds, in 1866, by
whom he has had a son, Herbert H., who was born in 1869, and died May 1,
1888, and a daughter, Isadore Malvina, born in 1871. He is a blacksmith, with
his father. Lucien F. Hudson, Jr., born in 1846, is a painter by trade. He
married Addie, daughter of John and Polly (Galley) Bassinger, in 1876, and
they have a daughter, Ruby Louisa, born in 1877. Fred E. Hudson was born in
1853, and is a wagon maker by trade. He married Maria, daughter of James and
Cynthia (Snow) Ramsdell, in 1871, and they have two sons, Sanford L., born in
1872, and Carolina A., born in 1875.
WILLIAM U. DAVIS was born in 1830. He married Sarah S., daughter of Joseph
and Mary (Wiles) McKee, in 1851, by whom he has two sons and a daughter,
viz.: Foster L., born in 1852; Frank P., born in 1857, and Mary L. The latter
married Fenn Bishop, in 1884, and they have a daughter, Leah Pearl,
born in 1888. Frank P. married Julia, daughter of Gustavus H. and Clara Noble
Johnson, in 1878. William U. has served his town as assessor. He is a cattle
drover and farmer, and resides on road 120.
CYRENIUS F. EASTMAN, son of Aaron R., was born in 1824. When seven years of
age his parents removed to Hannibal, Oswego county, where he was reared upon
a farm, and learned the cooper's trade. He married Ann E., daughter of Milton
and Margaret (Nelson) Wilson, in 1847, and they have one son, Legrand De
Forest, born in 1853, who is now married and resides in Fulton, N.Y. His wife
died in 1870, and the same year he married Marion M., daughter of Amos and
Hannah (Dean) Wood. Mr. Eastman returned to Ellisburgh in 1882, and occupies
the A.E. Wood farm, at Woodville.
SAMUEL J. ANDRUS was born in Ellisburgh, August 5, 1823 and was reared upon
a farm. He married, first, Elizabeth, daughter of Eli Farr, in 1850, and she
died in 1858. For his second wife he married Laverna Stillman, of Union
Square; and for his third wife, Marian B., daughter of Eben and Sally
(Bronson) Abbott, in 1861. Mr. Andrus has kept hotel in Camden, N.Y., and
Saginaw, Mich., and is now proprietor of the hotel at Pierrepont Manor.
CHARLES H. CASTER, Jr., born in 1845, married Emeline A., daughter of Hiram
and Ursula (Tremain) Buell, in 1867, by whom he has a daughter, Minnie, born
in 1875. His wife died in 1881, and for his second wife he married Marion E.,
daughter of Jacob and Maria (Osborn) Ackley, in 1882. Edwin I. Caster was
born in 1849. He married Sarah Jane Bemis, in 1876, and they have an adopted
daughter. Charles H. Caster, Sr., died April 19, 1886. The Caster brothers
own a saw, and grist-mill and box factory, and are also farmers, and reside
at Wardwell Settlement.
GEORGE E. BULL, another of Ellisburgh's prominent and prosperous farmers, is
the son of Alvah Bull, and was born in 1840. He was educated at Belleville
Union Academy. In 1866 he married Miss Mary A. Brimmer, by whom he has had
several children. Mr. Bull still occupies the old homestead farm near Rural
Hill, and has made it a most attractive and valuable property. For many years
Mr. Bull has served his town as assessor, though not at any time an office
seeker, his pride being in his fine farm and thriving herds, rather than in
ABNER McOMBER DURFEE was born in Ellisburgh. His father, Benjamin Durfee,
came from Rhode Island about 1820, on a coasting vessel to New York city,
thence on a flat boat up the Hudson and Mohawk rivers to Rome, and thence by
wagon through the woods and to a farm owned by his grandfather McOmber. The
house which he built is partly standing to-day. When Abner was 12 years of
age, the family removed to Mather's Mills, and about four years later came to
Belleville village, where the young man learned blacksmithing of James
Freeman, and where he carries on the business yet, although he, with his
sons, has one of the best stocked hardware stores in the country, besides
dealing largely in agricultural implements of all kinds. He has had four
children, two daughters (deceased) and two sons, Charles Bradford and Abner
M., Jr., both of whom are living. Abner M. travels for Emerson & Co., of
Syracuse, and Charles carries on the store at home, in partnership with his
father. The family is among the most respected in Belleville village, and in
fact any place where they are known.
GEORGE ARMSBURY was a native of Rhode Island. He was brought to Rensselaer
county, N.Y., when four years of age, and thence to Adams. At this time
Collins F. Armsbury, the subject of this sketch, was 18 years of age. Later
the family removed to the town of Ellisburgh, where the young man entered
Belleville Academy. In 1840 he became a clerk in a store for three years, and
while there entered upon the study of anatomy, physiology and kindred
subjects, not with any view of becoming a professional man, but rather to
employ his leisure hours in solid reading. He married Miss Amanda A. Boomer -
a son, George C., being the result of the union, and he now lives in Northern
Iowa. At the close of his term as a clerk, Mr. Armsbury purchased a small
farm near Belleville, which he cultivated for a few years, and then commenced
locating lands in Iowa and elsewhere, especially in Wisconsin. In the
procuring of pensions he has been very successful; and now at the age of 78
years his mental powers are unimpaired.
WILLIAM BRAYTON WRIGHT, a son of Chester Wright, was born in Henderson, and
there was raised until five years of age, when his parents removed to
Belleville. He was educated at the Belleville Academy, after which he entered
into mercantile business with his father, which he has continued since his
father's decease. He married Miss Henrietta Dunham, of Watertown, and has one
daughter, Lena. He is now treasurer of the village of Belleville, and one of
its most respected citizens.
MRS. CAROLINE WILLARD FISKE came from Rutland county, Vermont, at seven years
of age with Judge Ellis and his family in January, 1812. In 1822 she married
Daniel Hudson Fiske, eldest son of the celebrated Dr. Fiske, of
Massachusetts. They lived in Ellis village for eight years, where her husband
was a merchant. After the death of her husband she spent many years in
Vermont, returning thence some four or five years since. Although 90 years of
age, Mrs. Fiske has a remarkable memory of events, and states them with great
clearness and precision. A talk with her of the "olden time" is a liberal
education in past events. She well remembers the fight at the mouth of Sandy
creek, and all its details. She saw the great cable borne on the shoulders of stalwart men as it passed
through Ellisburgh, and can relate many of the stirring scenes of the times.
If a beautiful old age is the result of a contented, well-spent life, then
has hers been pre-eminently so, and may it last unimpaired for many years to
WILLIAM B. DOANE, son of Ira Doane, was born in the town of Orleans, and
raised on a farm in the town of Clayton until about 14 years of age, when the
family removed to Belleville. He attended school at the Academy for several
terms, and in 1871 commenced clerking in a store for his present partner, Mr.
Chapman. He became a partner in 1877, and in 1879 married Miss Carrie D.
Chapman. They have one daughter. Mr. Doane is a business man of judgment and
experience, and a member of the Baptist Church.
MARTIN D. SWAN, one of Ellisburgh's most prosperous farmers, is a son of
Dewey Swan, and was born in 1838. He was raised on a farm and educated at
Belleville Union Academy. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company E, 10th
N.Y. Heavy Artillery, and took part in the battles of Cold Harbor and
Petersburg, serving also under General Phil. Sheridan, in the Valley of the
Shenandoah. For bravery and general efficiency he was promoted to the second
lieutenancy of Company I, of the same regiment, and served until the close of
the war. In 1866 he married Miss Frank Louisa Bull. Mr. Swan has given much
attention to seed growing, and handles thousands of bushels yearly.
Return to Haddock Index Page
Return to Town of Ellisburgh
Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page