These biographies and family sketches are copied exactly as found. Undoubtedly there will be minor variations found in later research.
ELIJAH FOX, Jr., was born in 1780, and came to Lorraine in 1802. He built the first log-house on the farm now owned and occuped by his son George A. Fox. Among other early settlers in the town was Allen Pitkins, who came in 1803. He is said to have been a man of great perseverance. He served in the War of 1812, and died in Lorraine in 1847. Joel Caulkins came to Lorraine from Litchfield, Conn., in 1805. He reared a large family, and many of his descendants still survive him, who are wealthy and influential members of society.
AARON BROWN was born in Connecticut in 1785, amd removed to Adams in 1806. Soon afterward, he moved to Lorraine, and purchased the land now occupied by Lorraine village. There he built a grist-mill, a saw-mill, a distillery and kept a general store. He was the father of Moses Brown, who died in 1853. Allena B., his only daughter, still survives him at an advanced age. She is a widow, and resides in Lorraine. Her husband, John Fletcher Bishop, was a talented Baptist clergyman, who won much renown. He was pastor of several prominent churches, and met with good success as an evangelist He died in 1859. Their eldest son Judson W. Bishop, was the first to enlist in the late war of the rebellion, and the last to be mustered out at its close.
ASA TARBLE was one of four brothers, Amos, Asa, Joy and Abijah, who were for many years residents of Lorraine. About 1828, Asa removed to Adams village, where he spent the remaining years of his life. He was by trade a stone mason, and the foundation of many a substantial structure in Adams was the work of his hands, and he is remembered as an honest and industrious citizen. He was a firm believer in the doctrine of Universal Salvation, and was a most zealous defender of the same. He was a man well versed in the Scriptures and ever able to offer what seemed to him convincing proofs of his favorite theme. A son and daughter still survive him, who reside in Adams.
DEACON OSIAS BARTON came to Lorraine in 1807. [sic] He located on a farm of 100 acres on the road leading to Pierrepont Manor. He married Miss Sally Lamson. They reared a family of nine children and he was one of the original members who organized the Baptist church at Lorraine village in 1805.[sic] He was a justice of the peace in 1805;[sic] fought at the battle of Sackets Harbor, and also at the contest at the month of Sandy Creek. He was for many years a respected citizen, dying in 1850. His son, Hubert J. Barton, has been a resident of Watertown since 1851.
JOHN LAMSON was born in Randolph, Vermont, and came to Lorraine in 1806. He was a Revolutionary soldier, and died in 1808. His son, Job Lamson, a well-known farmer of Lorraine, was elected member of Assembly in 1843, and served with credit. He died in 1857. His sister, Miss Sally Lamson, taught the first school in Lorraine. The old farm is still in possession of a member of the family.
HARVEY HUBBARD, once a resident of Lorraine, is still living at the advanced age of 92 years. He was one of the 80 men who helped tp carry the cable fron Sandy Creek to Sackets Harbor.
JOSEPH GRIMSHAW came to Lorraine about 1835, and engaged in farming. He was the father of eight sons, among whom were Henry L., Joseph, Stephen, Clinton M. and Charles D., who resides in Lorraine. Two of his sons removed to Minnesota. Charles D. is the present supervisor of Lorraine.
Return to Haddock Index Page
Return to Town of Lorraine
Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page