BIOGRAPHIES AND FAMILY SKETCHES

for the

TOWN OF PAMELIA

from The Growth of a Century

by JOHN A. HADDOCK, 1895


These biographies and family sketches are copied exactly as found. Undoubtedly there will be minor variations found in later research.


FLEURY KEITH.-- "Blood will tell," an old adage says, and in glancing back over the family history of many of the prominent men who have made Jefferson county their homes, one is impelled to subscribe to the truth of the saying without question. And even though later descendants have not always reached that point in public distinction which some of their ancestors attained, because of adverse circumstances, or because "true merit is always modest," yet close acquaintance and observation have never failed, in most instances, to discover one more family traits in the individual, which clearly pointed out a genuine branch of the family tree. A single instance may serve as an illustration: Rev. James Keith, the youngest son of an old-time Scotch peer, landed on Plymouth Rock from the second vessel which touched that coast. He was the first ordained minister of Bridgewater, Plymouth county, Mass., settling there in 1663, O.S. He received ordination at the hands of Cotton Mather himself. He was given a "lot of 12 acres with a house built thereon," and a "purchase right;" which was one 56th part of the original grant to Bridgewater, 40 pounds in money, 20 of which was to be paid at Boston, and 20 at home, yearly ; and in 1689 they increased his salary by $10 worth of corn per annum. He died July 28th, 1719, full of honors, renowned in peace and war. In war, because of the enthusiasm he invoked against the savages in their raids upon the defenceless settlements; in peace, because he became the ablest divine of his time. He was ordained at 19 years of age, and his first sermon was preached from a rock in what is to this day known as the Mill Pasture. A daughter of his son Daniel, married Miles Standish, jr., and a great-grand-daughter married Dr. Eleazer Carver, of Mansfield, in 1776. Fleury Keith, who was one of the early settlers of Smithville, removing thence to Pamelia, was a direct descendant of the Scotch Presbyterian divine. Though never an aspirant for office, preferring first and foremost his home family and farm, he was elected to the Assembly in 1829, and again in 1831. He raised a large family of children who are widely scattered; Fleury, jr., resides in San Jose, Cal., on a fruit farm; Willard still lives on the old homestead in Pamelia, a respected farmer, and others are scattered far and wide beyond the ken of the writer. His sixth daughter, Helen, married the late J. K. Adams, of Brownville, and for her second husband the late Gen. Wm. Estes, and is now living in Cape Vincent with her son-in-law, Major Durham.


ITHAMER B. CRAWE, M. D. This distinguished physician and surgeon having lost his life in Perch Lake, we have thought that the town of Pamelia would be a proper place to insert his biographical sketch, although he was a resident of Watertown when he died. His fame as a student and able practitioner was not limited to any town, for he was well known throughout the county. Dr. Crawe was born at Enfield, Hartford county, Connecticut, June 11, 1792. In 1802, when he was nine years old, the family moved to Hamilton, Madison county, N. Y. He worked on his father's farm summers and went to the district school winters until he was 19. He early turned his attention to botanical pursuits, and so great an enthusiast did he become that he has been known to ride long distances in pursuit of some particular plant. From his youth he was noted for the interest he took in anything belonging to the animal or vegetable kingdom. He made a large collection, arranging and classifying them, laying the foundation for that acknowledged proficiency in botanical research he afterwards attained. In April, 1815, he went to Augusta, Oneida county, where he taught a district school three terms. In October he returned from a fishing voyage, and on his way stopped at Albany, where he engaged to teach a select school. He stayed two terms of 12 weeks each, and returning home in March, 1818, he entered the office Dr. Hastings, where he remained about two years. Through the kindness of his preceptor he was enabled to indulge in his favorite pursuit, having the use of a plot of ground, where he raised many rare plants. He next studied and worked in the laboratory with Dr. Noyes, professor of chemistry in Hamilton College. Connected with the college was a large cabinet of minerals, to which he had free access, and here, no doubt, his love of research in this branch of the natural sciences received additional stimulus, which never abated; for at his death his cabinet of minerals attained such size that it weighed eight tons.

Coming home in the spring of 1822, he entered into partnership with Dr. Dissel, of Clinton, with whom he remained six months, when he moved to Watertown, where he married Charlotte F. Mortimer. After practicing here a number of years, he was invited by some of the prominent citizens of Ogdensburg to locate there. Accordingly he went there, remaining about three years, and left to take charge of some lead mining operations at Lubec, Maine. This proved a failure, and he returned home and moved to Pontiac, Mich., where he resided some three years.

Sickness of himself and family obliged him to return to Watertown, where he continued to reside until his death. He discovered and described a number of new plants, one of which bears his name, Carex Crawei, or Crawe's Sedge. His friend, Prof. Grey, of Cambridge, Mass., requested him to procure for him some rare plants which are found on the marsh at Perch Lake, and are in their greatest perfection about the 1st of June. Having patients on the opposite side of the lake, he went there to see them June 3, 1847. After visiting them he crossed the lake in a leaky boat, the only one obtainable at that time, taking a small pan to bail with, and accompanied by Enoch Eddy, a large fleshy man, and William C. Gould, a young man, the son of one of his patients. They crossed the lake safely, and he made a large collection of the desired specimens, which he arranged in a large book, with heavy, strapped covers. About 5 P.M. they started to return. The wind having freshened, the waves were rolling, causing the boat to leak badly. When about 20 rods from shore it became evident that the boat must sink. The doctor, rising in the boat, threw his book as far towards the shore as possible, and taking out his watch, said : "It is just 6 o'clock ; this boat will sink in a few minutes. Mr. Eddy, you stick to the boat ' Gould and I can swim." When the boat sunk he caught and held up Mr. Eddy, turned over the boat and helped him onto it, and he soon floated near the shore. With Mr. Gould he started for land. The former was ahead and reached the shore with difficulty, and turning to look back, he saw the Doctor's feet sticking out of the water. He was an exceedingly fine swimmer, and must have had cramps in his shoulders, caused by the extra exertion he was obliged to make, encumbered as he was with clothing and long, heavy boots, made to wade through wet, marshy grounds.

Dr. Crawe was widely known among men of science, both in this country and in Europe. He enjoyed a large practice, was well and favorably known, and his loss at the time, in the manner it happened, was a great shock to his family, and deeply felt by the community in which he lived. He was a prominent Mason, which fraternity attended his funeral in a body, and with the rest of his friends and neighbors, testified their respect for his memory, sympathizing with his family in their great affliction, and manifested their own sorrow and regret at his loss. He became a member of the County Society in 1822 ; was its secretary in 1825 ; censor in 1826, '28, '29, '30, '34 and '41, president in 1827 and 1842, and delegate to the State Society in 1834 and 1844. In 1846 the honorary degree of Doctor of Medicine was conferred upon him by the Regents of the University, on the recommendation of the State Society.


THE HAVEN FAMILY. RICHARD HAVEN came from the west of England I 1645, settling in Lynn, Mass. Nathaniel Haven, 1st, son of the above Richard Haven, was born in 1664. Nathaniel Have, 2d, son of the above Nathaniel Haven, 1st, was born in 1704. He also belonged to Lynn, where he held many important offices. David Heaven, third son of the above Nathaniel Haven, 2d, was born in 1734. Nathaniel Haven (the 4th), came into the Black River country from Framingham, Mass., in 1804, locating in Watertown, living in the same house with Hart Massey, corner of Washington and Clinton streets. Previous to coming he had married Miss Mary Coolidge, also of Framingham. Mr. Haven was a joiner, and finished up an incompletge frame, standing on what is now the American corner. This building he used for a shop. Working at his trade for several years, upon the various buildings demanded by the incoming settlers, he finally bought a farm of 100 acres on the north side of the river, known as the Converse farm, now covered to quite an extent by city dwellings. This place he finally sold, and purchased the Jonathan Cowan farm. There he lived for many years, and near there he died.

Himself and wife reared eight children: Dexter, Hepzibah (who married Dr. Hiram Mills); Nathaniel, Jr., Mahalah (who married William Usher); Newell, Isaac C., Ascenath (who married John Sloat); and Charles W. The latter, the youngest son of this old-time and much-respected family, the writer has selected for especial mention in this History, he being a fair representation of the whole of them. He attended the common schools, completing his scholastic education at the Black River Literary and Religious Institute at Watertown. He has always been a farmer, now owning 150 acres--a very valuable and productive farm, lying one mile north of the city limits. He is now in his 73rd year, and bears his age like a man of 55 or 60. Always methodical and industrious, he has accumulated a neat property. He has always been regarded--as indeed were all the Havens--as an exceptionally honorable and progressive citizen.

Mrs. Helen J. Harmon is the daughter of Charles W. Haven. She married Mr. H. E. Harmon n 1882, and they have one child, a daughter, Miss Marion. Their residence is at No. 41 TenEyck street, in the city of Watertown, and it is a typical home.

George, son of Charles W., was born in 1854, and is a citizen of Watertown. Although a resident of the city, he is a farmer, managing the paternal acres on Bradley street. He married Miss Ella McGinnis in 1879, and they have one young daughter, Miss Clara.


THOMAS MAKEPEACE was born in Massachusetts in 1779. At the age of 24 years he removed with his father's family to Bridgewater, Oneida county, remaining there one year, when he located in Pamelia. He married Anna Plumb, a native of Connecticut, and they had nine children, viz.: Emily, Maria, Anna, Amy, Betsey, Lucy, Thomas, Julia and Ellicott. In 1848 Ellicott married Angeline Plumb, by whom he had two children, viz.: Merville D. and Charles E. Ellicott Makepeace was a popular school teacher for many years, and also served his townsmen in positions of trust and honor, among which was that of supervisor. His son Merville D. is a civil engineer and surveyor. Charles E. was supervisor of Pamelia in 1889, and resides with his aged mother on the homestead on road 21. Ellicott Makepeace died June 30, 1882.


WALTER COLE was born in the town of Mendon, Herkimer county, and when 16 years old came to the Black River county, and taught the first school in the then village of Watertown. At the age of 19 he married Charlotte, daughter of John M. Gunn, of Brownville, and they had seven children, viz., John N., Andrew J., Walter, Harrison, Zeruah, Abigail and Harrison. The first Harrison died in infancy. Walter Cole served in the War of 1812, and participated in the battle of Sackets Harbor. He served as a member of the State Legislature two terms. Harrison Cole, at the age of 22 years, married Mary, daughter of Hon. Fleury Keith, of Brownville, and first located on a farm near Perch river. In 1872 he removed to Wellsley Island, where he remained 14 years. Harrison R. Cole, of LeRay, son Harrison, married Emma Gould, in 1875, and they have one son, Aswell B.


HENRY COUNTRYMAN was born in Danube, Herkimer county, N. Y., and was the third child and first son of George and Roxana Countryman. Henry remained at home, contributing largely to the support of the family, until 1823, when he removed to Pamelia, where he succeeded in accumulating a large fortune, being the owner at the time of his death of 600 acres of land. He died June 16, 1875. He married Miss Walrath, of Danube, Herkimer county, by whom he had nine children, five sons and four daughters. Alexander, the oldest, was born in Herkimer county, but from boyhood always resided at Pamelia Four Corners. Wilson H. Countryman was born in 1840. In 1862 he married Betsey Ann, daughter of Enoch Eddy, by whom he has had three children, viz.: Belle D., Charles O. and Ora E. Belle D. died in 1880, aged 15 years. The sons survive and reside on the farm with their parents.


ENOCH EDDY came from Rutland, Vt., in 1802, and located on a farm on Rutland Hill, in the town of Rutland, in this county. In 1831 he removed to the town of Pamelia, where he died in 1840, aged 80 years. He reared a family of 10 children, all of whom grew to maturity, viz: Enoch and James (twins), Hannah, Rhoda, Phebe, Betsey, Renew, Louisa, Horatio N. and Willard. Enoch D., at the age of 23 years, married Hulda, daughter of Jonathan Aldrich, and they had three sons and four daughters, viz : Enoch, Gratia, Cynthia, Hannah, Seth, Betsey A. and De Witt Clinton. The latter was born on the farm he now owns. When 26 years of age he married Caroline, daughter of Joel A. Otis, of Rutland, by whom he has one daughter, Cora M., who married Edward Colligan, September 21, 1887.


ELIJAH TIMMERMAN came to this town with his father in 1832, from Herkimer county, at that time being 14 years of age. He remained at home and attended school winters, working upon the farm summers, until he attained his majority. He then married Anna, daughter of Hiram Ballard, and after working farms on shares several years, finally purchased a farm at the head of Perch Lake, and there resided until his death, in 1870. He had born to him three sons and one daughter, viz: Hiram, John E., Celestia J. and Wilson. The latter, at the age of 21 years, enlisted in Co. M, 10th N. Y. H. A., and served three years, until the close of the war, when he returned home and married Arabella, daughter of Elijah Gove, of LeRay. Soon after this he purchased the John C. Timerman farm.


JOHN C. TIMERMAN came from Herkimer county to this town in 1832, and married Gertrude Timerman. They reared a family of six sons and three daughters, viz: David, Elijah, Margaret, Jane, Joel, John, Jesse, Mary M. and Reuben. He served in the War of 1812, and participated in the battle of Sackets Harbor. He died October 15, 1846. Reuben Timerman, in 1857, married Anna E., daughter of Warner Nellis, of Pamelia, by whom he had four children, viz : Simeon E., George W., Frank B. and Willie J. Their first born died at the age of one year and eight months. Mrs. Timerman died in 1874. For his second wife he married Mrs. Philena Babcock, widow of Anson. George W. Timerman, second son of Reuben, married Jesse M., daughter of Joseph Tallman, of Orleans, and they have one son, Raymond.


BRAYTON BROWN remained at home until he attained his majority. He married Laura El, daughter of William Kimball, of Pamelia, and soon after enlisted in Co. A, 14th N. Y. H. A., for three years, or during the war. He took active part in many engagements without being wounded. Soon after his return from the war he purchased a farm in Clayton and there remained eight years. He then bought the farm in Pamelia which he now occupies, and where he has built a fine residence. His children are a son and daughter, William B. and Meda S.


Nehemiah Gale picked up a package of stolen money, artfully dropped by Whittlesey in order to inculpate some man who might pick it up, and then hold him responsible for a whole robbery. This is called to mind by the death of Solomon O. Gale in Pamelia, March 6, 1895, who was the son of the Mr. Gale who found the money and wisely took it to a witness, who counted and examined it. Solomon was born in Champion October 25, 1812. he was a respected citizen.


Return to Haddock Index Page

Return to Town of Pamelia



Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project

If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.


Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page

Top