BIOGRAPHIES AND FAMILY SKETCHES

for the

TOWN OF RODMAN

from The Growth of a Century

by JOHN A. HADDOCK, 1895


These biographies and family sketches are copied exactly as found. Undoubtedly there will be minor variations found in later research.


WILLIAM H. MOFFETT and Charles D. Moffett were among the most prominent and honored residents of the old town of Rodman. William H. came to Rodman about 1835, and engaged with William R. Handford in the mercantile business. After amassing a comfortable fortune he retired from business, but continued to live in Rodman till his death, in 1873. He was a prominent member of Congregational Church, and was much respected by the community. He was also a director in the National Union Bank, of Watertown, for many years. His son, Samuel A. Moffett, now resides in Chicago, Ill. His brother, Charles D., came to Rodman Village 1845. He carried on the harness and saddlery business for many years. He helped to organize the first Methodist Episcopal society in Rodmen village, and was a prominent and leading member of the same all his life. He was many times elected justice of the peace, and had the confidence and respect of the whole community. He moved to Watertown in 1872 where he resided with his son, John F. Moffett, until his death in, 1880. His wife died in the fall of 1894.


GEORGE GATES was born in 1787. He emigrated from Massachusetts 1810, and located on the south side of Sandy Creek, near the western limit of the town of Rodman. Here he resided for many years, and by industry and thrift amassed a large property, consisting of some of the most productive farms in the town, on which are two of the finest residences with in the limits. Mr. Gates was the father of two sons, George and Simeon, who succeeded, together with two sisters, to their father's large estate--all of whom showed themselves equally competent in business affairs. They have long been known as among the most prominent families in the town. George gates died in 1871. His two sons, George and Simeon, have since died, the latter in 1894.


NATHAN STRONG came to from Whitestown, N. Y. in 1810. He located in Rodman, where he continued to reside until his death. He served his town as justice of the peace, postmaster, supervisor, and, in 1832, was elected Member of Assembly. His son, Herman Strong, was born in 1802. He was at one time sheriff of Jefferson county, and and afterwards superintendent of the poor. He married Miss Mary McKinstry, and was the father of four children, three sons and one daughter, Miss Elizabeth Strong, who became the wife of late H.E. Conger, of Watertown. Mr Strong's wife was Miss Sarah Ann Millard. He died in Watertown in 1876. Henry C. Strong, brother of Herman, was born in 1820. He was a man greatly beloved by his neighbors and associates for his kindness of heart and his generosity. Few men were more renowned for benevolence than he. He married Miss Sarah Pettibone, and was the father of DeWitt, Marcus B., Harriet, Charles C., Orville, and Nathan Strong. The latter was once the sheriff of Jefferson county. Miss S. Augusta Strong was the youngest of the family, and was married to the late Pierson Mundy, of Watertown. She survives her husband, and is beloved and capable principal of of Arsenal street school, in Watertown.


CHARLES S. GAIGE is still living at the advanced age of 84 years. He has long been known as one of Rodman's most substantial and reliable citizens. He has been a life-long Democrat, ever true to his convictions. He is the owner of one of the finest and most productive farms in the town, and in the evening of life is beloved and respected by his many friends and acquaintances.


ORVILLE E. WINSLOW was born in Rodman, where he spent his entire life. By occupation he is a builder, and some of Rodman's substantial buldings are identified with the work of his hands. He has no family, his wife having died several years ago. Although alone in his declining years, his naturally jovial disposition enables him to bear the inevitable vicissitudes of this life with comparative resignation.


WILLIAM R. HANDFORD was born in Delaware county, N. Y., in 1812, and came to Rodman in 1825. He was one of 16 children, who all lived to attain maturity and marriage. Mr. Handford traced his ancestry back to the Rev.Thomas Handford, who came from England in 1640, settled in Norwalk, Conn., preached to its people 40 years. William R. Handford married Miss Elsie Elizabeth Utley, of Rodman. He was a merchant during all his business life, and was engaged in merchandise when the first shot was fired upon Sumter---a shot whose echoes went round the world and roused the North to an unprecedented degree of angry remonstrance. That shot sounded the knell of slavery in America, though it required two years of warfare to elicit Lincoln''s proclamation of freedom. Mr.Handford raised Company A, of the 94th N. Y. Volunteer Infantry, and with it went to the field. While in service near Washington, he was promoted to be a major, and held that position during his entire service with the regiment. His health failing he was obliged to resign his position, and on restoration to comparative strength he resumed his business in trade. He is probably best remembered in Rodman on account of his connection with the Congregational church, of which he was consistent and honored member for many years. He was the father of George R. Handford, for many years a a merchant of Watertown, who was his only descendant. George R. married Miss Anna Wood, of Watertown, a niece of General Joseph Hooker, whose record in the War of the Rebellion is still fresh in the memory of his countrymen.


Return to Haddock Index Page

Return to Town of Rodman



Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project

If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.


Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page

Top