1. HENRY HOADLEY was born 9 Aug 1784 Bennington VT, son of JARED HOADLEY and ANN KELLOGG. He died 10 May 1861 and is buried in Alexandria Bay, Jefferson Co., NY.
HENRY had a farm on Wells Island, near Waterloo Lake, where he carried on an extensive wool trade. HENRY and LOVINA were residents on the island by the time their children were born, which was about 1804 or 1805. HENRY and LOVINA were living next to their son, JOHN D. and PHILENA, in the 1850 census of Alexandria Bay. Both LOVINA and HENRY informed they were born in Massachusetts. LOVINA, after HENRY'S death, lived with daughter LUCY, wife of PETER McCUE.
LEVINA/LOVINA SEARLES who was born in 1785 Westfield VT and died 2 October 1875 in Alexandria Bay, NY. It is said their marriage took place in Lowville, NY.
In the widow's pension records:
LOVINA SEARLES, wife of HENRY HOADLEY, stated that she married HENRY HOADLEY on 3 July 1814 at Lowville, NY. Henry was a soldier in the War of 1812. Lovina died at Alexandria Bay on 2 October 1875 at 90 years. The marriage date does not agree with the birthdates of the children, which suggests that Henry may have had a first wife or the pension office made an error in the year of marriage.
War of 1812 Service: HENRY HOADLEY served respectively in "Pvt Capt's Farrar" and "Newel's Co's N Y Mil." He enlisted the first time on June 21, 1812 and was discharged Sept. 25, 1812. His second enlistment was on October 12, 1814 and he was discharged February 13, 1815. His residence in both 1850 and 1855 was given as "Alexandria, Jefferson Co., N.Y." His death date was given as May 10, 1861 at Alexandria Bay, N.Y. Henry's pension file number is WO 2534.
His widow LOVINA HOADLEY's maiden name was said to be "LOVINA SEARLS." Her residence as widow in 1871 was given as "Jefferson Co. (PO Alexandria Bay) N.Y. Their marriage date was July 3, 1814 at Lowville, Lewis Co., N.Y. The widow's death is given as "About 1874." Lovina's pension file number is WC 1121.
Pension file records reference the following Bounty Land numbers:
8886 80 50
5914 80 55
Children of HENRY HOADLEY and LEVINA SEARLES:
+ 2 i LUCY HOADLEY b c1804; m PETER McCUE. See
+ 3 ii JOHN D. HOADLEY b 1807; m PHILENA COMSTOCK
+ 4 iii POLINA/PHINA HOADLEY b c1811; m HIRAM DUCLON
+ 5 iv APPOLLOS HOADLEY who died young on Wells Island
+ 6 v JAMES HOADLEY b c1816; m SARAH HOUGHTON
+ 7 vi MARIA HOADLEY m JOHN DERYAW
+ 8 vii MARY HOADLEY b 1823; m ANDREW ELLIOTT
+ 9 viii HENRY HOADLEY b 13 Feb 1825 PHEBE PATTISON
2. LUCY HOADLEY, daughter of HENRY HOADLEY and LEVINA SEARLES was born 1804 in Lowville, NY, daughter of Henry and Lovina (Searles) Hoadley. She died 2 July 1894 in Alexandria Bay, NY. She married PETER McCUE, son of WILLIAM and CATHERINE (PATTISON) McCUE. He was a farmer in Alexandria Township and died 4 May 1885 at age 86 years, 70 months and 10 days.
Children of LUCY HOADLEY and PETER McCUE:
10 i JOHN McCUE b c1834
11 ii MARTHA McCUE b c1836
12 iii LOVINA McCUE b c1838
13 iv CHARLES McCUE b c1842
14 v MINERVA McCUE b 1844 and died 1928 in Pennsylvania but buried in Oakland, Michigan. She married Henry Spicer, who was born 19 Feb. 1841 in Alexandria Bay, and died 7 March 1916 in Birmingham, Oakland, Michigan. He was the son of Solomon Spicer and Adaline Patterson. (see Spicer family this site)
15 vi CHARLOTTE McCUE b c1850
3. JOHN D. HOADLEY son of HENRY HOADLEY and LEVINA SEARLES was born 1807 at Alexandria Bay and died 2 Sept. 1874 at 65 years. He married PHILENA COMSTOCK who died 2 Aug 1881 at 67 years 4 months, daughter of WILLIAM COMSTOCK, and sister of ALPHEUS COMSTOCK of Alexandria Bay.
Children of JOHN D. HOADLEY and PHILENA COMSTOCK:
16 i JOHN HOADLEY b 19 Nov 1837 and died 18 Feb 1925; he married (1) 19 Dec 1857 THURZA ANN WELLER, daughter of ABRAM WELLER and MARTHA STORES; he married (2) FINA HOADLEY
17 ii THOMAS HOADLEY b 11 Apr 1841; m (1) 15 Aug 1871 ELIZA WHEREY who died in Lake Ontario in Sept. 1871. He married (2) on 10 Jan 1872 to MARY E. BOGET, who was born 1848 and died 2 Nov. 1893 at Alexandria Bay, NY age 45. THOMAS HOADLEY d 8 Dec 1902 at 62 yrs. Probate record shows her uncle was Isaac L. Huntington of Theresa, Jefferson Co. Her husband was listed as Thomas Hoadley, and Charles Weller and John Hoadley of Alexandria Bay listed as heirs/next of kin. She died intestate and her real estate went into foreclosure.
+ 18 iii PHEBE HOADLEY b 16 Aug 1832 and died 29 May 1881; she married 26 May 1847 MARZEY CHISAMORE.
19 iv LOVINA HOADLEY b c1833 d 1873 Winnebago Co., WI. She married JASON PHILLIPS who was born 12 July 1834 in Jefferson Co., NY and died 13 Sept 1918 Clark Co., WI. He was the son of EDEN and SALLY (DRESSER) PHILLIPS. He married (2) 3 Mar 1879 AVILDA DAVIS, widow of LUTHER DAVIS. In an interview before his death, JASON PHILLIPS named his first wife as LOVINA HOADLEY.
20 v SARAH HOADLEY b c1835 married WILLIAM PHILLIPS, brother of JASON PHILLIPS. WILLIAM PHILLIPS purchased property in Winnebago Co, WI in 1854.
21 vi MARY (POLLY) HOADLEY b c1834 died 16 Dec 1899 at 62 years. She married 18 Dec 1853 in Alexandria Bay BRUCE M. DAVIS, son of JESSE and HANNAH DAVIS. MARY is buried in the Walton St. Cemetery in Alexandria Bay.
22 vii NATHAN HOADLEY b c1844 died young
+ 23 viii AMELIA MAY HOADLEY b 1847, m WILLIAM WELLER
+ 24 ix SOPHRONIA HOADLEY b 1852, m AUSTIN W. SHANNON
25 x ETTA (ANNA) HOADLEY
4. POLINA/PHINA HOADLEY daughter of HENRY HOADLEY and LEVINA SEARLES was born c1811 and died 14 Jan 1885 at 74 years. She is buried in Walton Street Cemetery with her husband HIRAM DUCLON who was born about 1809 and died 16 May 1884 at 75 years.
Children of POLINA HOADLEY and HIRAM DUCLON:
+ 26 i HARRIET DUCLON b 11 July 1836; m AUGUSTUS LANDON
27 ii STEPHEN H. DUCLON b c1836; m NANCY GIFFORD, bc 1838, daughter of JOHN GIFFORD. She died in Watertown, Jefferson Co. on 8 April 1876.
28 iii ELIZA DUCLON b c1840
29 iv SARAH DUCLON b c1847
30 v CORNELIA DUCLON b c1850
6. JAMES HOADLEY, son of HENRY HOADLEY and LEVINA SEARLES was born c1816 and died in Ludington, MI. He married SARAH HOUGHTON, who was born 1818 in Vermont and died in 1854.
Children of JAMES HOADLEY and SARAH HOUGHTON:
+ 31 i JARED M. HOADLEY b 1836; of Detroit MI; married ISABELLE R.32 ii CHARLES HOADLEY b 1838 of Gibson MI
33 iii JAMES W. HOADLEY b 1840 of Kansas
34 iv LYDIA HOADLEY b 1844
35 v ALVIRA HOADLEY b 1846
36 vi PERCY LOVINA HOADLEY b 13 Oct 1850; died 1885; m FRANCIS MARION CHAMBERS in IL
37 vii LUKE JOHN HOADLEY d 1891 in Arkansas at 27 years
38 viii JOSEPH HOADLEY b 1853
NOTE: all children born Alexandria Bay, Jefferson Co., NY
7. MARIA HOADLEY daughter of HENRY HOADLEY and LEVINA SEARLES married JOHN DERYAW of Brockville CA who was born about 1794. After their marriage, the couple lived on Hill Island, also known as LaRue Island.
Children of MARIA HOADLEY and JOHN DERYAW:39 i ELIZABETH JANE DERYAW b 28 Oct 1841 Hill Island; married 27 May 1888 NATHANIEL TAYLOR ORR. She died 27 May 1888 on Simcoe Island and is buried in the Trinity Anglican Cemetery on Wolfe Island.
40 ii DAVID PATRICK DERYAW b 1841; m 31 Aug 1903 EULA HULL, age 32, daughter of CARL HULL and SARAH MOORE.
+ 41 iii CHAUNCY E. DERYAW b 29 Apr 1855 LaRue Island married MARY (---)
8. MARY HOADLEY, daughter of HENRY HOADLEY and LEVINA SEARLES was born 1823 and died 23 Mar 1874 at 54 years 3 months. She is buried in Tanner's Corners Cemetery, Jefferson Co., NY. She married ANDREW ELLIOTT who died in the Civil War (1811-1864)
Children of MARY HOADLEY and ANDREW ELLIOTT:
42 i ARCIANA ELLIOTT b 1841 married (---) TAYLOR; dau LYDIA b 1859
43 ii MARY L. ELLIOTT b 16 July 1848 in Alexandria Bay; m 5 Oct 1869 JACOB L. BRETSCH
44 iii LOVINA ELLIOTT bc 1849
45 iv ABRAM ELLIOTT b c1850; died 10 July 1876 at 26 Years 2 mos 25 days; bur. Tanner's Corners Cem.
46 v HANNAH ELLIOTT b c1852
47 vi WILLIAM ARTHUR ELLIOTT r b 1860 d 3 Oct 1883 at 23 years 6 mos. 23 days
48 vii SARAH ELLIOTT (twin) b 1860; died young
18. PHEBE HOADLEY, daughter of JOHN D. HOADLEY and PHILENA COMSTOCK was born 16 Aug 1832 and died 29 May 1881. She married 26 May 1847 MARZEY CHISAMORE.
Child of PHEBE HOADLEY and MARZEY CHISAMORE:
49 i JOHN CHISAMORE m 15 Jan 1878 CAROLINE BARRIGER, age 21, daughter of JABEZ BARRIGER and MARGARET FOSTER. They were married in Canada
23. AMELIA MAY HOADLEY, daughter of JOHN D. HOADLEY and PHILENA COMSTOCK was born c1847 and died 15 Dec 1905. She married 18 Mar 1860 WILLIAM WELLER, son of ABRAM WELLER and MARTHA STORES. (See McCue-Weller info this site.) AMELIA (HOADLEY) WELLER married (2) on 15 Aug 1890 LODOWICK EDGERLY b 1844. He had married (1) HENRIETTA (---) 1848-1881
Child of AMELIA MAY HOADLEY and WILLIAM WELLER:
50 i CHARLES FRANCIS WELLER (1861-1909) m 20 Dec 1882 ELIZABETH GORMAN (1856-1941)
24. SOPHRONIA HOADLEY, daughter of JOHN D. HOADLEY and PHILENA COMSTOCK was born 1852, died 1927. She married AUSTIN W. SHANNON, son of DANIEL and RUTH (SIMPSON) SHANNON. She married 8 May 1901 JAY D. RUNDELL, age 29; she was 44.
Children of SOPHRONIA HOADLEY and AUSTIN SHANNON:
51 i JOHN SHANNON at age 26 married on 13 April 1900 ETTE E. GRANDEE, age 18, daughter of JOHN GRANDEE and BETSY ROBBINS. Marriage at Clayton, Jefferson Co.
52 i ETTA (ANNA) SHANNON b 19 Nov 1837 died 6 July 1908 married CHARLES LIVINGSTON, who died 7 Nov 1942
26. HARRIET DUCLON, daughter of POLINA HOADLEY and HIRAM DUCLON was born 11 July 1836 and died 16 May 1922. She married AUGUSTUS LANDON, who was born 10 Feb 1833 and died 10 Oct. 1909
Children of HARRIET DUCLON and AUGUSTUS LANDON:
53 i THOMAS LANDON b c1852
54 ii CHRISTINE LANDON b c1854
55 iii MARY JANE LANDON b c185656 iv JAMES LANDON b c1859
31. JARED M. HOADLEY, son of JAMES HOADLEY and SARAH HOUGHTON was born 1836. He was of Detroit MI. He married ISABELLE R. (---)
Children of JARED M. and ISABELLE R. HOADLEY:
57 i HERBERT V. HOADLEY b1868
58 ii CELIA S. HOADLEY b 1870
59 iii WILLIAM A. HOADLEY b 1876
60 iv PERLEY E. HOADLEY b 1879
41. CHAUNCY E. DERYAW, son of MARIA HOADLEY and JOHN DERYAW was born 29 Apr 1855 on LaRue Island and married MARY (---)
From the 1901 census of Frontenac Co., Wolfe Island, Canada:
Chancey age 45
Chancey age 7
Elizabeth age 20
Franklin age 15
Henry age 18
Margart age 11
Mary age 43
Mary age 16
Rhoda age 5
e)Henry bc 1846 d 1907; wife Sarah bc 1850
g)Rose M. R. Ethel
9. HENRY HOADLEY, son of HENRY HOADLEY and LEVINA SEARLES was born 13 Feb 1825 on Wells Island and died in 1907. He married on 11 Feb 1846 PHEBE PATTISON, born 29 April 1828 on Wells Island, daughter of DANIEL and ABIGAIL (BUCK) PATTISON. PHEBE died in 1911. HENRY had a 100 acre farm on Wells Island.
Children of HENRY HOADLEY and PHEBE PATTISON:
+ 61 i FRANKLIN HOADLEY b 29 Dec and d 1912 m MARTHA LANDON
+ 62 ii GEORGE HOADLEY b 22 Apr 1849 m (1) EMMA DOBBINS; m (2) MARY HOGAN
+ 63 iii FRANCES HOADLEY b 7 Jul 1851 m GEORGE W. COMSTOCK
+ 64 iv JOHN HENRY HOADLEY, b 6 Sep 1854 m FLORENCE LACKEY b 7 Apr 1861
+ 65 v JENNETTE HOADLEY b 9 Aug 1856 m EDWARD SENECAL
66 vi DANIEL HOADLEY b 2 Apr 1858 d 22 Jun 1877 in Kingston, Ontario CA
67 vii JAMES HOADLEY b 31 May 1860 and died 22 June 1877
+ 68 viii LOLA/AGNES HOADLEY b 8 Sept 1864 m ANTOINE/ANTHONY SENECAL
+ 69 ix EDGAR JARED HOADLEY b 21 Aug 1866; m (1) SARAH M. BROOKS, (2) HARRIET E. BROOKS; (3) MARY ANN LILLIAN ROSE NORMAND
+ 70 x VIRGINIA HOADLEY b 12 Aug 1870 married in Canada on 5 Sept. 1906 to Charles Porter, a widower, who was 35, son of WILLIAM PORTER and SARAH STEVENS.
61. FRANKLIN HOADLEY, son of HENRY HOADLEY and PHEBE PATTISON was born 29 Dec and died 1912. He married 25 Dec 1871 MARTHA LANDON who was born 17 Mar 1852 d 1936
Children of FRANKLIN HOADLEY and MARTHA LANDON:
71 i WARREN HOADLEY b 6 Sep 1872 d 11 May 1964
72 ii EDITH MARGARITA HOADLEY b 25 Apr 1876
73 iii LENA HOADLEY b 8 Jan 1888
62. GEORGE HOADLEY, son of HENRY HOADLEY and PHEBE PATTISON was born 22 Apr 1849. He married (1) EMMA DOBBINS who died 19 Aug 1889. She was the daughter of ANDREW and ELIZA (WARREN) DOBBINS.
Child of GEORGE HOADLEY and EMMA DOBBINS:
74 i ANNIE MABEL HOADLEY b 4 Oct 1876
GEORGE HOADLEY married second on 1 Jan 1893 MARY HOGAN of New York City. She was born 22 Apr 1861.
Child of George and Mary:
75 i HAROLD G. HOADLEY b Feb 1912; d 5 Jul 1912
63. FRANCES HOADLEY, daughter of HENRY HOADLEY and PHEBE PATTISON b 7 Jul 1851 married 1872 at Delta, Canada GEORGE W. COMSTOCK. He was born c1849, son of THOMAS and CAROLINE COMSTOCK of Alexandria Bay. THOMAS was the son of WILLIAM COMSTOCK brother of ALPHEUS COMSTOCK of Alexandria Bay.
Children of FRANCES HOADLEY and GEORGE W. COMSTOCK:76 i JOHN M. COMSTOCK b 1873
77 ii DELIA COMSTOCK b 1877
78 iii PEARL COMSTOCK b Mar 1882 m ROY CONKLIN b 1879
79 iv DANIEL JAMES COMSTOCK b 15 Dec 1884 m EVA (---) b 1888
64. JOHN HENRY HOADLEY, son of HENRY HOADLEY and PHEBE PATTISON was born 6 Sep 1854. He married FLORENCE LACKEY b 7 Apr 1861 at Alexandria Bay. She was the daughter of LUCIUS and BETSEY LACKEY.
Child of JOHN HENRY HOADLEY and FLORENCE LACKEY:
80 i RAYMOND HOADLEY b 25 Nov 1892
65 JENNETTE HOADLEY, daughter of HENRY HOADLEY and PHEBE PATTISON was born 9 Aug 1856. She married 21 Jan 1873 EDWARD SENECAL of Mallorytown, Canada who was born 9 Aug 1856 JEANNETTE died in Canada 31 Jan 1952
Children of JENETTE HOADLEY and EDWARD SENECAL
81 i MARY G. SENACAL [sic], age 22, married on 30 May 1895 EUGENE P. GIRARD, age 32, son of EUGENE GIRARD and AMELIA JULY, all of Alexandria Bay, NY.
68. LOLA/AGNES HOADLEY, daughter of HENRY HOADLEY and PHEBE PATTISON was born 8 Sept 1864 and died 29 July 1943 in Canada. She married 10 April 1882 ANTOINE/ANTHONY SENECAL, who was born 29 Aug. 1861 at Redwood Jefferson Co., NY and died 19 Oct 1929 in Ontario. He was the son of JOSEPH SENECAL.
Child of ANTHONY SENECAL and AGNES HOADLEY:
82 i VIRGINIA M. SENECAL m 27 Oct. 1926 to THEODORE CHARLES DINGMAN, son of FRANCIS DINGMAN and FLORENCE MARCEAU; he of Alexandria Bay; she of Grenadier Island.
69. EDGAR JARED HOADLEY, son of HENRY HOADLEY and PHEBE PATTISON was born 21 Aug 1866 d 16 Jun 1965. EDGAR was married three times: (1) SARAH M. BROOKS b 4 May 1864 d 29 May 1909; (2) HARRIET E. BROOKS b 1860 d 1927; (3) MARY ANN LILLIAN ROSE NORMAND b 1910
Child of EDGAR and MARY ANN HOADLEY:
82 i DAN EDGAR HOADLEY b 9 Sep 1929
Sources: Mrs. Mitchell, Marg Hunter, Larry Williams, Peter Rogers, Shirley Farone, Canadian Archives; VIR Canada, NY; tombstone records of Canada and NY; Dutch Reformed Church records; Canadian and NY census records. Additional information provided by S. Bailey, descendant of Minerva McCue and Henry Spicer.
For more information contact msapienza
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page
Return to Town of Alexandria
Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page