1. ROSWELL HOUGHTON, was born 14 Sept 1784 in Vermont, son of SAMUEL HOUGHTON and SARAH COOKE, of Fairlee, Orange Co., VT. Samuel Houghton served in the Revolutionary War; he and Sarah died in Vermont.
He married on 20 April 1806 at Sharon, Windsor Co., VT
PERSIS PARKER. She was born 4 January 1786 in VT and d 29 Jan 1875 in Alexandria Bay, NY. Roswell, Sarah and their children moved to Watertown, Jefferson Co., NY about 1831 and in 1833 to the town of Orleans, Jefferson Co., where they established a farm.
CHILDREN, Roswell and Persis Parker Houghton:
2. ALBA (ALBY) P. HOUGHTON, son of ROSWELL & PERSIS (PARKER) HOUGHTON was born in March of 1808 and died 24 April 1882 at age 74.
He married In about 1835 at Brownville, Jefferson Co.
FIDELIA (DELIA) ARNOLD, who was born 10 March 1818 and d 1870 at 52 y/4 mo/8 days. Fidelia was of Lyme in Jefferson County. Of their five children, only three survived:
CHILDREN, Alba and Fidelia Arnold Houghton:
5. HAMILTON R. HOUGHTON, son of ROSWELL & PERSIS (PARKER) HOUGHTON, was born 1814 and died 8 Feb 1883.
He married about 1837 at Brownville, Jefferson Co.
MARIA ARNOLD. She was born 4 January 1823 and died 4 January 1892. Maria is buried in the Freeman Cemetery at Brownville.
CHILDREN, Hamilton R. and Maria Arnold Houghton
7. JOSEPH P. HOUGHTON, son of ROSWELL & PERSIS (PARKER) HOUGHTON, was born 24 January 1820 at Fairlee, VT and died in 1904. He moved from Orleans to Alexandria Bay about 1835.
He married 1 January 1846
JANE CLARK, daughter of DANIEL CLARK, of Thetford, VT. Joseph and Jane lived on their homestead for 43 years and had nine children, but only five reached adulthood.
CHILDREN, Joseph P. and Jane Clark Houghton:
13. ROSELL HOUGHTON, son of ALBA (ALBY) P. & FIDELIA /DELIA (ARNOLD) HOUGHTON was born 1841 and d 1921 in Alexandria Bay, buried in the Walton St. Cem. ROSELL plied his trade as a carpenter and served three years in the Civil War, having mustered in at age 20 at Orleans on 12 Aug. 1862. His unit was 10th NY HA.
In 1865 he married
ELIZA RUSSELL, daughter of JOSEPH and SALLY RUSSELL who was born 1849 and died 1917; she is also buried in the Walton St. Cemetery. ROSELL and ELIZA had four children:
CHILDREN, Rosell and Eliza Russell Houghton:
23. ALMON H. HOUGHTON, son of JOSEPH P. & JANE (CLARK) HOUGHTON, was born 1849 d 1930 at Alexandria Bay. At age 23, he married
CANDACE L. RAUGHT, born 1852, d 1925. She was the daughter of ABRAM RAUGHT of Orleans. Almon and Candace had four children, but only three who survived:
CHILDREN, Almon H. and Candace L. Raught Houghton:
25. MARTHA M. HOUGHTON, daughter of JOSEPH P. & JANE (CLARK) HOUGHTON was born 1 Aug 1847, d 1886 @ 38 y/5mo/21 days
ALLEN RUSSELL, b 1840 and d 1927 When Martha died, she left six children; two of them:
30. GEORGE A. HOUGHTON, son of ROSELL & ELIZA (RUSSELL) HOUGHTON was born 12 June 1874 and died 20 May 1949
MINNIE POLLOCK on 4 Jan 1893 at Clayton, Jefferson Co. MINNIE was b 12 June 1874 at Hammond, St. Lawrence Co., NY and d 20 May 1949.
CHILDREN, George A. and Minnie Pollock Houghton:
31. FRED U. HOUGHTON, son of ROSELL & ELIZA (RUSSELL) HOUGHTON, born 26 Jan 1876 d 13 June 1941
ADDIE S. GOULD, born 20 June 1876 and died 18 Aug 1947. He and Addie are buried in the Omar Cemetery at Orleans.
CHILDREN, Fred U. and Addie S. Gould Houghton:
42 RAYMOND G. HOUGHTON b 15 Feb 1909 d 26 Feb 1989.
GRACE A. FREDENBURG, who was b 1915, on 4 July 1931. Both are buried in the Omar Cemetery.
CHILD, Raymond G. and Grace A. Fredenburg Houghton:
This is an addendum for JAMES HOUGHTON, son of Roswell Houghton and Persis Parker, supplied by Penny James, a descendant from the UK. James is child No. 3 on the Roswell Houghton pioneer page.
3. James Houghton was born about 1811 in Vermont and married Lydia Arnold, who was born about 1820 in the state of New York. Lydia died in 1854 at 34 years and 8 months and is buried in the Freeman Cemetery in Jefferson County.
Their children were:
3. James Houghton as a widower married Nancy___ for his second wife and by her had the following children:
Daughter Leonora Houghton born 1837 and died 23 April 1883 at 46 years and 6 months; she married Daniel Cossleman as his first wife. Daniel was the son of Frederick Cossleman, Jr. and wife Elizabeth Getman. Elizabeth German was the daughter of Jacob and Laney Getman. Frederick Cossleman, Sr., was an early resident of Lyme. He died on the Cossleman farm on Road 34, at 88 years, and was a Revolutionary War soldier. He was the father of four known children: Richard, Joseph, Annie and Frederick, Jr. Frederick Cossleman and Laney Getman had: Fred, Christopher, Rensselaer, James, Catharine, Margaret, Mary, Sarah, Emeline, Caroline, Eleanor, Delia, Betsey and Daniel. Frederick Jr. died in 1870 at age 85 and Laney died in 1863 at 65 years.
Daniel and Leonora Cossleman's children were:
Daniel Cossleman as a widower married as his second wife, Adaline, daughter of Fred and Matilda Levanchard, of Carthage, NY. Daniel was born 1 January 1827 and died 11 Dec. 1902.
Their child was:
Daughter Lydia Houghton born 1845, married on 21 October 1863 to Recellus (H) Johnson who was born in 1844. The Vital Records of Jefferson county for the marriage show that he was of Depauville and Lydia was of Lyme. He served in the Civil War from Jefferson County. He had an invalid pension filed 13 July 1875. Lydia M. filed for the widow's pension on 15 September 1890. Penny James states that Lydia died in 1913 in Buffalo, NY.
Their children were:
Elmina Elilah Johnson, born 1866, married about 1885 to William J. Elliott. They were of Chaumont, NY. William James Elliott was born 1856 in Gananoque, Ontario, Canada, son of William Elliott.
Their children were (Elliott):
The lineage of William Elliott is as follows:
John Diamond was a native of Ireland, where he died at age 80. He and his wife, Elizabeth, were the parents of eight children. One of the children was Robert Diamond.
Robert Diamond married:
1)Sarah; they had six children
2)Eliza Lemon; they had 7 children
Robert Diamond had a daughter Elizabeth with his first wife, Sarah. This Elizabeth married William Elliott of Ireland, with whom she emigrated to Canada in 1846. In 1861 they located in Lyme, Jefferson Co., where he died on 4 March 1886 at 63 years. Elizabeth survived William and lived in Chaumont, NY. She died in 1895 at 72 years. Both are buried in the Cedar Grove Cemetery in Jefferson Co.
The ten children of William Elliott and Elizabeth Diamond were:
William Elliott, who died in 1886, above, was the son of Thomas and Sarah (Murphy) Elliott. He was born in County Longford Ireland.
For further information, contact: Marilyn
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page
Return to Town of Orleans
Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page