Return to Index
Return to Town of Hounsfield
The Town of Hounsfield comprises town number one of the Black River tract and was formed from a part of Watertown, February 17, 1806. It is a part of the original Boylston Tract, and in common with ten other towns in Jefferson and Lewis counties, comprising an area of nearly 300,000 acres, became the property, July 15, 1795, of Nicholas Low, William Henderson, Richard Harrison, and Josiah Ogden Hoffman. These eleven towns form what has since been known as the Black River Tract.
On the division of the tract, this town fell to the share of Hoffman and Harrison "and the north part was conveyed June 13, 1797, for $58,333.33, to Champion and Storrs, amounting to 11,134 1/2 acres, with the town of Champion (25,708 acres). On the 14th of November, 1798, Champion and Storrs sold a portion of the above to Loomis and Tillinghast, receiving two notes of $6,000 each, which, with a mortgage upon the premises, not being paid, the tract was sold by a decree of Chancery, at the Tontine Coffee House in New York, June 20, 1801, and bid off by Augustus Sacket of that city, who received a conveyance from Champion and the assignees of Loomis and Tillinghast. While the sale was pending, Mr. Sacket having heard of the location, and inclining to engage in its purchase, made a journey early in 1801 to the place, and was so struck with the great natural advantages for a port which the place presented that he hastened back, and having secured the purchase, returned with a few men to commence improvements. In the second and third years, he erected an ample and convenient dwelling, and the little colony received the accession of mechanics and others.
"This town derives its name from Ezra Hounsfield, a native of Sheffield, in England, who, about 1800 came to New York as agent for his brothers, John and Bartholomew, manufacturers and merchants of Sheffield. He engaged in the hardware trade, and in company with Peter Kimball, purchased in common the south half of Township No. 1, or the present town of Hounsfield. This purchase was made of Harrison and Hoffman, March 10, 1801, and subsequently other and smaller purchases were made. Mr. Hounsfield was a bachelor, and died in New York, about 1817. By his will, dated April 7, 1812, he appointed David A. Ogden, Edward Lynde, John Day, and Thomas L. Ogden his executors, who advertised a sale at auction of the remaining interest of the estate in the town of Sacket's Harbor, August 1, 1817. The executors bought in the property and afterwards conveyed it to Bartholomew, the father of George Hounsfield, the present heir of the family, living in Sheffield.
"The town is said to have been named through the influence of Mr. Augustus Sacket, who was an acquaintance of Mr. Hounsfield.
"From an early period of the purchase the waters of Black River Bay were regarded as an eligible place for a commercial point...."
The Town of Hounsfield was the outgrowth of propositions previously made for the erection of a new town from portions of Watertown and Adams, the original design being to take three ranges of lots from the north side of town number seven and annex them to number one, and give the new town the name of Newport. November 10, 1803, a special meeting was called in Adams, at which the matter was taken under consideration, and by vote the division was rejected, although a petition was framed asking for the erection of number eight into a separate town; and it was accordingly set off at the next session of legislature and organized under the name of Harrison, since changed to Rodman.
the first white man who braved the dangers of the then wilderness, and swung his ax was Amos Fox, who, about 1800 located near the present "Muskalonge Burying Ground," probably on great lot 36. He is given the credit of having made the first improvements in the town, and his name appears prominently upon its early records. None of his family now live in the neighborhood and he himself has long since closed his life's labors and laid down to his long rest.
The arrival of settlers was quite rapid upon the nature of the country becoming known, and as early as September, 1802, a traveler reported about 30 families living in Township Number One. Before the breaking out of the War of 1812-15 the town had become comparatively well filled. As timber was abundant, and ashes commanded a greater price than anything they could raise at the time, the manufacture of pot and pearl ashes was extensively carried on, nearly every man receiving a share of profits from the traffic in those articles.
Several years previous to the War of 1812, five brothers, Solomon, Robert, Asher, Austin and Joshua Robbins, came from Berkshire County, Massachusetts, and located at what is now known as the Robbins Settlement in the southwest part of the town. These men were the first settlers in that locality, and made the first improvements. There were originally seven brothers in the family, one of whom, Levi Robbins, settled in Champion, where he is now living, having reached the age of more than 90 years. Some of the younger representatives of the family are now living at Sacket's Harbor, where R. S. Robbins, son of Solomon, lived for many years and carried on the mercantile business. Mrs. Lucy Blin, also a resident of the village, is a daughter of Joshua Robbins, and to her acknowledgments are due for information furnished.
Elijah Field, from Woodstock, Windsor County, Vermont, located at what is known as Field's Settlement, in the spring of the year 1806, and was the first settler in the neighborhood. His son, Lebbeus, a minister of the denomination known as Christians, located here in the spring of 1807 with his wife and daughter. In 1816, he removed to Great Lot 28, where he is now living with his son, Hezekiah, at the advanced age of 98 years. This latter farm was purchased by Lebbeus Field from second hands, although he made the first improvements upon it himself.
Soon after the Fields had become residents of the locality, they were followed by Palmer Westcott, who manufactured potash on quite an extensive scale, considering the facilities. The Ives family settled afterwards, and of all these families descendants are now living in the township. Hon. Willard Ives, now of Watertown, has become a prominent man in the county, and the life of Rev. Lebbeus Allen, thought prolonged much beyond the average period of human existence, has been one of well-doing. Asahel Joiner, living west from Mr. Field's place, is also an early pioneer of Jefferson County, and has been a sojourner on the earth for a period of one hundred and two years, his birth dating back to the beginning of the "War for Independence."
William and Charles Green, and others of the family came from Rhode Island, and, after stopping for some time in Rensselaer County, settled in the town of Pinckney, Lewis County, in 1812. Charles Green at one time took a contract for clearing timber in the very heart of what is now the flourishing city of Utica. William Green served in the War of 1812, probably volunteering from Lewis County. About the year 1816 his crops in that county were almost entirely destroyed by frost, and, leaving everything behind, he soon after started with his family and walked to Adams, where he resided until 1836, when he again removed and made a final settlement in Hounsfield, where his death occurred about 1866. Charles Green who came to Adams at about the same time with William, is still living in that town, and affords another example of tenacious and hardy age, being now 98 years old.
Ebenezer Allen, a native of Windsor County, Vermont, settled with his family in March, 1808, on the place now owned by his grandson, Lebbeus F. Allen, Great Lot. 38. The family at that time consisted of himself, his wife, and ten children, of whom the oldest was twenty years and the youngest about eleven months of age. A log house was at once erected upon the place and other improvements made. Mr. Allen had served five years in the Revolutionary Army, and attained the rank of major, which title clung to him through life. His son, Leonard, father of Lebbeus F. Allen, was a soldier during the War of 1812-15 and served in the operations around Sacket's Harbor, being engaged in the memorable battle which took place there on May 29, 1813. He now draws a pension for his services.
Ira Inglehart, a native of Canada, removed to St. Lawrence County previous to the War of 1812, and settled near Ogdensburgh, afterwards coming to Philadelphia, Jeff. Co., and next to Watertown. He served in the American Army during the war, participating in the Sacket's Harbor fight, and in the fall or winter of 1815 left Watertown and made a final settlement in school district No. 6, now called "Jericho" in Hounsfield, where he owned a fine farm. His son, C. W. Inglehart as been a resident of the village of Sacket's Harbor for 15 years and over 60 years an inhabitant of the town, having come to it with his father in 1815.
In the southern portion of the town settlements were also made quite early, more especially towards the eastern boundary, in the neighborhood of Stowell's Corners. Nathan Baker was among the early comers, locating some time previous to the year 1807, near the south line of the town...
EAST HOUNSFIELD POST OFFICE:
About the beginning of the War of 1812, Stephen Blanchard, a man who is remembered by many now living, moved to this place from the State of Vermont. About 1820 he built a hotel...The locality was long known as "Blanchard's Corners" and the hotel as the "old Blanchard Stand". The building has been repaired and refitted, and now under the management of William Warren. Blanchard never had any children of his own, and has been dead about 30 years...
In the neighborhood of 1850 a post office was established, the first postmaster being Nelson Jones, who held the office until the beginning of Lincoln's administration, when Marvin B. Scovill was appointed. Upon the election of General Grant as president, William Warren was appointed. Mr. Warren's father, Thomas W. Warren, emigrated from St. John's New Brunswick about 1824-25 and settled near Blanchard's Corners, where he now resides.
The first school in the town was probably taught in the village of Sacket's Harbor. Outside the village the earliest school we have been able to learn anything of was taught in the winter of 1808-09, in the "Muskalonge" neighborhood. The building used was an old log dwelling, and the teacher was probably Amasa Fox. The next session (1809) a frame schoolhouse was built, the first in this part of the town, if not the first in all the territory included in it...At Blanchard's Corners, near East Hounsfield Post Office, a log school house was built previous to 1816, and stood a number of years...
The "Christian Church of Hounsfield" was organized in 1820 by Rev. Lebbeus Field with a membership of about forty. A division occurred in the church and a new organization was afterwards effected...
FIRST TOWN MEETING:
After the organization of the town due notice was given by Amasa Fox, Esq., and a town meeting was convened at the house of Ambrose Pease, and from thence adjourned to the house of Joseph Landon, March 4, 1806. The following is a list of officers chosen: Supervisor, Augustus Sacket; Clerk, William Waring; Assessors, Amasa Fox, William Baker, Samuel Bates, Jr., Theron Hinman; Commissioners of Highways, Ambrose Pease, Robert Robbins; Overseers of the Poor, Jotham Wilder, John Patrick; Collector, Jeremiah Goodrich; Constables, J. Goodrich, William Galloway, John Root...At a special meeting called for the purpose, January 10, 1807, A. Sacket, John Patrick, and Elisha Camp were chosen to represent the town at a meeting of delegates at Watertown, to take into consideration the military situation of the county...In 1815 the poor masters were authorized to build a poor house for transient poor, if they thought it necessary. At a special meeting in 1824 the poor house system was voted against, and a remonstrance recommended to the legislature. Wolf and panther bounties were continued until 1816...
"October 19, 1861, on the authority of Governor Morgan, of New York, the barracks (Madison barracks, at Sacket's Harbor) were opened as a depot for volunteers by W. B. Camp, a citizen of Sacket's Harbor, who was named on the staff of the governor, with the rank of colonel, and charged with the 'command of the volunteers to be quartered at Sacket's Harbor.' The governor was induced to open the barracks as a recruiting station on account of the patriotic associations that clung to the place in the memories of the people, especially in the northern part of the State. In this he was not mistaken, as every regiment he permitted to be raised here was quickly filled up by the youth of the surrounding country. Col. Camp found many of the buildings in a state of decay. To fit for occupancy some $3,000 were expended in repairs. A portion of the eastern row of men's quarters was set aside as a hospital."
Numerous postal routes have been established between Sacket's Harbor and outside points,--the first being formed by Act of Congress April 21, 1806, from Rome, through Redfield and Adams, and by Smith's Mills to the Harbor. Another, formed April 28, 1810, from Brownville via Sacket's Harbor to Rome, Whitestown, and Utica. April 30, 1816, from Williamstown through Richland, Ellisburg, and Henderson to Sacket's Harbor. These were the earliest ones. Mails were carried on horseback and finally stage lines were established and the mails transferred to them. In the summer of 1819, a line of stages was placed on the route between Sacket's Harbor and Utica, passing through Adams and Rome....
In the summer of 1853, a telegraph line was built from Watertown to Sacket's Harbor, by citizens of the latter place, over the direct plant road connecting the two points.
"The south part of the town, sold to Kemble and Hounsfield, was first placed in the hands of Silas Stow, of Lowville, as agent, and in an advertisement in the Columbian Gazette, of Utica, June 11, 1804, the land is represented as excellent, and ' the flourishing state of Mr. Sacket's village its advantages of water carriage, and its valuable fishery, renders it one of the most inviting objects to an industrious settler.'" Interest in "Mr. Sacket's village: increased, and to such an extent had its many advantages been realized that "on the 5th of March, 1809, Sacket conveyed 1,700 acres, the present.
VILLAGE OF SACKET'S HARBOR:
to Cornelius Ray, William Bayard, and Michael Hogan for $30,000 in trust, and a few days after Ezra Hounsfield and Peter Kemble conveyed to the same parties their interest in the tract. In a declaration of trust subsequently made, the parties concerned in this purchase appear to have been: C. Ray, W. Bayard, M. Hogan, Herman LeRoy, James McEvers, Joshua Waddington, James Lenox, William Maitland, William Ogden, ____McLeod, Benjamin W. Rogers, Duncan P. Campbell, Samuel Boyd, Abraham Ogden, David A. Ogden and Thomas L. Ogden, each owning one-fifteenth part, except D. A. and T. L. Ogden, who together owned a one-fifteenth part. The first three named were trustees of the others, and Mr. Elisha Camp, a brother-in-law of Mr. Sacket, who settled in the village in 1804, and has since remained a leading citizen, was appointed the resident agent, under whom the estate was sold, the last of the business being closed up about 1848-49....
In 1805, several English families settled at Sacket's Harbor, among whom were: Samuel Luff and sons, Edmund, Samuel, Jr., Joseph and Jesse; David Merritt, William Ashby, John Roots, Henry Metcalf, and George Sloman. Besides these, John and William Evans, Squire Read, Amasa Hollibut, Charles Barrie (probably should be spelled Berry), Uriah Rowlson, Azariah P. Sherwin, and others. Dr. William Baker settled in 1803, and was the first physician.
Ambrose Pease and Stephen Simmons were early innkeepers, and Loren Buss and Hezekiah Doolittle, merchants. The place was at an early day very healthy, and from February 1805 until January, 1809, it was remarkable that but one case of death occurred (except that of infants)...Late in 1808, typhus fever began to appear among the citizens and a detachment of United States troops, originating with the latter, and of this sickness many died.
The first white male child born in the village, or in Hounsfield township, was William Rowlson, now a resident of the village. His birth occurred September 18, 1804. By some his sister, Wealthy Rowlson is stated to have been the first, but this is a mistake, as she was born in Connecticut, from which state their father, Rial Rowlson, emigrated, probably in 1802 and settled at Sacket's Harbor among the first who located at that place. He served for a short time during the War of 1812. Wealthy Rowlson is also yet living at the Harbor.
Henry Metcalf, one of the Englishmen who settled here in 1805, joined a military organization at Sacket's Harbor, and, on the breaking out of the war with Great Britain in 1812, joined his neighbors in defending his adopted country against the encroachments of his mother country. His brother, Francis Metcalf, came from England in 1829, and located at the Harbor, where his son, Henry Metcalf, still resides. Six of Henry Metcalf, Sr.'s children are now living in the Town of HOunsfield. John M. Canfield, from Litchfield, CT, settled at Sacket's Harbor in 1817 or 1819. He was for eight years collector of customs for the Sacket's Harbor district. He stopped for a time at Watertown, and afterwards at Brownville, before making a final location in Sacket's Harbor. His son, Hon. Theodore Canfield, is now a resident of the village.
Squire Read, a native of Rhode Island, and afterwards a resident successively of Massachusetts and Connecticut, removed from the latter state in March, 1802, with his wife, three sons and one daughter and settled in Adams Township, where he resided until 1806-07, when he came to the present corporation of Sacket's Harbor, and made a settlement. ...He had seen much service during the Revolutionary War, having been in the army several times for a period of a number of months each time. He was in service on the "Mohawk" for nine months. Until the breaking out of the War of 1812, he made his home at Sacket's Harbor, but soon after war was declared he changed his place of abode to Brownville, where he died more than fifty years ago. His son, Captain Daniel Read, now an old man, lives at Sacket's Harbor. His title of captain comes from service on the lakes as commander of several packets and trading vessels. He was the youngest, save one, of the children who came with their parents to Jefferson County in 1802...
Daniel DeWolf of the State of Connecticut, lived at Sacket's Harbor from 1812 to 1815 and was employed by the Government as a blacksmith in the Navy Yard. After the war he left the village, and in 1822 returned with his family, and made a permanent settlement. He died in 1829. His son, David O. DeWolf, now living in the village, is the present Deputy Collector of Customs for the port.
Augustus Sacket, on his arrival at the place, built a sawmill, where was sawed the lumber used in the construction of his first permanent house and other buildings put up at the time. It stood on the spot now occupied by the barn on the old place, at present owned by B. Eveleigh, who came to the village in 1834, from England...In 1804, Mr. Sacket also built a frame house. Augustus Sacket was the Pioneer of Sacket's Harbor and was born in the city of New York, November 10, 1769, where he received his education and acquired the profession of law. In 1801, having purchased a tract in Hounsfield, he came on and began the first settlement at that place...In 1809 having sold his property in this county, he removed to Jamaica, L.I., from whence, in 1812, he went to Meadville, PA, having there purchased 300,000 acres of land. He returned to New York City and in 1820 he went to Rutherford Co., N.C., having become interested in a large tract of land in that state. By a subsequent transaction he became interested in the islands of the St. Lawrence, and returned to Sacket's Harbor, and in 1827 removed to Newburg...He died at Albany, April 29, 1827, of a sudden sickness, while on his way to Jefferson County.
The hardware store now occupied by Mr. Eveleigh was built by Mr. Sacket's sons, George A. and Edward. Sacket's sawmill was on Mill Creek, where were also erected early a gristmill by Samuel Luff, the first one in the neighborhood, and a cotton factory, by Solon Stone.
When the canal was finished to Sacket's Harbor in 1832, a gristmill, two sawmills, a plaster mill a paper mill and a furnace were built upon it, principally the property of Elisha Camp...he settled here at a very early day, and became at once identified with the interests of the town. His son, George H. Camp, lives on the old place in the village.
The first merchant in the village was Charles Berry (Barrie), a Scotchman, who settled about 1806 and opened a small country store on the lot adjoining the one now occupied by the "Eveleigh House." Two brothers, Peter and James, came with him, but only one remained, while the other went south. Berry sold out to Loren Buss, who had with him as clerk a young man named Hezekiah Doolittle.
The first mercantile operation at Sacket's Harbor on an extensive scale was by Samuel F. Hooker, who in 1808 commenced with a stock of $20,000 worth of goods and in 50 days had sold $17,500 worth...Potash commanded enormous sums of $200 to $320 a ton...
Sacket's Harbor Post Office was established just previous to the War of 1812 and Ambrose Pease was appointed first postmaster.
The first school at the Harbor was taught about 1807-8 by a man named Mitchell, in one part of his dwelling. No schoolhouse was built until after the War of 1812...
The first hotel in the village was built on the site of the store now occupied by R. C. Read and Brother, on Main Street, previous to 1805 by Ambrose Pease...At the beginning of the War of 1812, a Mr. Kelsey came from Cape Vincent and purchased it, operating it under his own name thereafter. His property at Cape Vincent was burned during the war...
On the ground where the "Eveleigh Housoe" now stands, a hotel was partially built as early as 1806, by a man named Lanning, who sold out before it was finished to Stephen Simmons. The latter completed it and carried it on for several years... the Earl House was built in 1817 by Judge Elijah Field and opened in December of that year...In April, 1817, a stone hotel was begun by Frederick White, and finished and occupied by him in the spring of 1818...
SACKET'S HARBOR PRESBYTERIAN SOCIETY:
At a meeting convened by legal notice at Sacket's Harbor, in the town of Housfield, on January 12, 1816...Melanchthon T. Woolsey and Enoch Ely were unanimously nominated and elected presiding and returning officers of the meeting. The first trustees were M. T. Woolsey (of the U.S. Navy), Samuel Bosworth, Samuel F. Hooker, Elisha Camp and Enoch Ely...Rev. Samuel F. Snowden was hired as their first minister, on a salary of $1,000 a year, his services to begin March 1, 1817...In September 1817, a site for a church was given by Thomas L. Ogden, and in 1818 an effort was made to raise funds for building a church. The raising took place September 23, 1819 but was destroyed by fire in August 19, 1843.
A class was organized with about 17 members, among whom were Judge Elijah Field, John Walling, Alvah Kinney, Asahel Smith and their wives with several others. Meetings were held in the school house. Samuel Lyon of Utica, was aided by William Newlan, also of Utica, in his first attempt to form a class here, which was in 1820-21. A legal society was formed by the Methodists, May 9, 1831, with Asahel Smith, Alvah Kinney, Hiram Steele, John H. McKee, William Francis, Elijah Field, Daniel Griffin, Samuel Whitby and Samuel C. J. DeCamp as trustees...
CHRIST'S CHURCH (Episcopal):
The Episcopal Society first held a meeting about the 14th of May 1821, and chose Elisha Camp, Samuel O. Auchmuty, William Kendall, Robert H. Harrison and John McCarty as a committee...The church was legally organized August 6, 1821 and the first regularly elected vestry consisted of the following persons: Zeno Allen and Elisha Camp, wardens; Robert M. Harrison, Samuel O. Auchmuty, William Kendall, John McCarty, Hiram Steele, Thomas J. Angel, Hiram Merrill, and Thomas Y. Howe, vestrymen. The first preacher was Bishop Hobart who visited Sacket's Harbor on Thursday, September 14, 1821...Henry Moore Shaw was the first rector of the church. Through the efforts of William Waring, arrangements for building a church were finally perfected and on May 26, 1823, the cornerstone was laid with Masonic ceremonies....The lot on which it stands was donated by Frederick White...The first confirmation was held by Rt. Rev. Benj. T. Onderdonk, August 12, 1828, the following persons being confirmed: Thos. J. Angel, Richard Canfield, Dinah Schobel, and Sarah Livingston. Bishop Onderdonk on the 1st of June 1833 also confirmed the following persons: Samuel F. Hooker, Amos Catlin, Mary Catlin, Hannah Phelps, Mary Ann Phelps, Mary Cunningham, Jane Loomis, Daniel S. Kimbal, William Tryon, Mrs. William Tryon and Jemima Luff...
The first organization of this order in Jefferson County was what was known as "Ontario Lodge," of which the first recorded meeting was held at Sacket's Harbor April 4, 1805. The officers were as follows: Augustus Sacket, W. M.; J. Seaman, S.W.; Brother Pike, J.W.; B. allen Treasurer; Isaiah Massey, Secretary, Hart Massey, J.D.; A Basinger, Tyler. This lodge had in its membership many of the pioneers of the place and other parts of the county, among them Jacob Brown (afterwards Major-General), initiated as an "entered apprentice.", Jan, 2, 1806; B. DeWitt, Wm. Waring, ___Merrick, Giles Hamlin, Gershom Tuttle, Abram Lippett, Squire Read, J. Simmons, C. Mills, Joseph Perry, Daniel Potter, and others...
Athol Lodge, No. 308, F. & A.M., was instituted in 1818 with Hiram Steele as Master Four members now residing at Sacket's Harbor are: Capt. Daniel Read, Leonard Denison, John Walling and David Millington. Other members of the lodge were Alvah Kinney, Judge Elijah Field and others. It was continued until 1827. Of the four now living in the village who were members, Daniel Read and John Walling, who settled at Sacket's Harbor in the spring of 1819, and joined in the fall of the same year. David Millington settled here in 1814 and joined in 1818. He was from Herkimer County. Leonard Denison came from Stonington, New London County, CT, and settled at the Harbor in 1812. As early as 1817-18 he joined the Masons in Henderson, and afterward became a member of Athol Lodge. He is now 86 years of age...
Sacket's Harbor Chapter, No. 68, R. A.M., was formed Feb. 7, 1820, upon the application of Commodore Melanchthon T. Woolsey, U.S.N., John Clitz, captain, U.S.A., and William King. Its first meeting was held on the 3d of March 1820 with the following officers:
High Priest, Commodore Melanchthon T. Woolsey, U.S.N.
King, William King
Scribe, John Clitz, Captain U.S.A.
Treasurer, Leonard Denison
Secretary, Henry Smith
C of H, Asahel Smith
P.S. George W. Jenks
R.A.C., Alvah Kinney
M. 3d V., Capt. William Vaughn, U.S.N.
M. 2d V., Zeno Allen
M. 1st V., Hunter Crane.
Sacket's Harbor Lodge, No. 135, F. & A.M., held its first meeting May 12, 1828, with the following officers: Samuel Lyon, W.M.; John S. Hall, S.W.; Chester C. Simonds, J.W.; Elijah Field, Treas.; Isaac Van Vleck, Sec.
Wampanoag Lodge, No. 311, I.O.O.F. was formed at Sacket's Harbor in September 1847.
A FIRE COMPANY:
was organized immediately after the War of 1812, with a small membership. It was simply a "bucket brigade,"...
George Camp was a printer by profession and March 18, 1817 he issued the first number of a newspaper called the Sacket's Harbor Gazette. On March 17, 1818, the name was changed to the Sacket's Harbor Gazette and Advertiser, and the publication continued by Mr. Camp until 1820 when he sold out to Matthew M. Cole, Elisha Camp and others, who changed its name February 9, 1821, to the Jefferson Republican...In the spring of 1824, the Freeman's Advocate...was issued by Truman W. Hascall, and continued until December, 1828...
The first regular physician who located in the village was Dr. William Baker, who settled here in 1803. Dr. Benjamin Farley, a fine physician, settled previous to the war. Another prominent physician was James Starkweather, who came probably soon after the War of 1812. ...Dr. Samuel Guthrie settled here after the War of 1812...In 1831 he discovered the article known as chloroform...
The village cemetery is located near Madison Barracks, and the oldest headstone found was that of a person named Hooker, who was born at Windsor, CT in April 1775 and died at Sacket's Harbor, May 2, 1810...Among the older graves are the following: Mrs. Maria Jacob Wheaton, wife of Walter V. Wheaton, U.S.A., and daughter of Hon. Stephen Jacob, died at Sacket's Harbor, March 15, 1821, age 27. Mrs. Ally Myler, wife of Patrick Myler, died March 28, 1822 age 45 years. Betsey, daughter of John and Mary Root, drowned May 25, 1825, age 19 years. Sacred to the memory of James Jackson, who departed this transatory life June 23, 1825. He left a widow and one child to deplore his loss.
Copyright 2017 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page