1. TIMOTHY HUNGERFORD, son of BENJAMIN and JEMIMA (HUNGERFORD) HUNGERFORD, was born at Millington homestead in E. Haddam CT in April 1747, and was baptized at the Millington Church, CT on 31 May 1747. He lived until about 1800 on land deeded to him by his father on 9 Feb. 1769 in Farmington CT, which is now Bristol CT. He then moved to Paris, Oneida Co NY and in the spring of 1804 to Watertown, Jefferson Co NY. He died 5 Dec. 1827 in his 81st year. He married at Bristol on 21 Jan. 1772 to HANNAH HEICOX, who was born in 1749 and died 28 Sept. 1827 in her 79th year. They were the parents of seven children.
Children of Timothy Hungerford and Hannah Heicox:
2 i NANCY HUNGERFORD who married JOSIAH BRADNAR and died 1 March 1843.
3 ii HANNAH HUNGERFORD born 13 Sept. 1777 in Bristol; died 16 Oct. 1826 in Watertown, Jefferson Co NY, wife of JABEZ FOSTER.
4 iii ANSON HUNGERFORD born 21 Sept 1779 and died 12 July 1864 at 85 years; married SARAH P. COE in 1802.
+ 5 iv TIMOTHY HUNGERFORD born 16 Oct. 1781 in Bristol.
+ 6 v LORRAIN HUNGERFORD died 10 May 1835; married DANIEL BRAINARD in 1806.
+ 7 vi DEXTER HUNGERFORD born 1789 Farmington CT and died 2 March 1854 in Brownville, Jefferson Co; married MARIETTE BURR.
+ 8 vii ORVILLE HUNGERFORD was born in Farmington CT on 29 Oct. 1790.
5.TIMOTHY HUNGERFORD, son of Timothy and Hannah, moved in about 1800 with his father to Paris, Oneida Co NY, and in the spring of 1804 he moved to Watertown, Jefferson Co., and later settled at Watertown Center, where he cultivated a farm and kept an inn until his death on 14 Nov. 1857. He married (1) MARY RICHARDSON, who was born 14 Nov. 1785 and died 20 Aug. 1841. He married (2) NANCY ATHERTON.
Children of Timothy Hungerford and Mary Richardson:
9 i GEORGE HUNGERFORD
+ 10 ii EDWIN HUNGERFORD born Watertown NY on 13 April 1809 and died at Evans Mills, NY on 5 Aug. 1891 at 82 years 4 months. He married 1st on 30 Jan. 1829 CATHERINE FERREL, who was born in 1810 and died Feb. 1835. On 1 Sept. 1840 he married (2) LAURA M. HASKINS who was born 17 April 1817 and died 3 Feb. 1863.
6. LORRAIN HUNGERFORD, daughter of Timothy Hungerford and Hannah Heicox died 10 May 1835. She married DANIEL BRAINARD in 1806. Daniel Brainard came to Whitestown Oneida Co in 1805 where he married Lorraine in 1806. He practiced medicine in Watertown; joined the Medical Soc. In 1807 and died 27 Jan. 1810. Son: 11 i O. V. BRAINARD was for 20 years cashier of Jefferson Co Bank.
7. DEXTER HUNGERFORD, son of Timothy Hungerford and Hannah Heicox, was born 1789 Farmington CT and died 2 March 1854 in Brownville, Jefferson Co; married MARIETTE BURR. He was an innkeeper at Brownville, and an excellent horseman.
Children of Children of Dexter Hungerford and Mariette Burr:12 i ELBERT VALENTINE HUNGERFORD; died Jefferson Co
13 ii SOLON D. HUNGERFORD born 12 March 1808; involved with Jefferson County banking institutions; Agricultural Society and railroads. He was philanthropically involved with building early institutes of learning. His military career dated to 1835 when he was commissioned aide-de-camp to the brigadier-general of the Fifty-fifth Brigade of Infantry. In 1853 he became captain of infantry in the 36th Regiment and brigadier general of the 18th Brigade of the State Militia in 1859. He married ANN HUNTINGTON of Watertown NY.
14 iii DELIA HUNGERFORD; married HARLOW KIMBALL and lived in Watertown, Chicago and California where she died.
15 iv NAMAN B. HUNGERFORD; connected with Jefferson Co. Bank and died in Watertown.
Children of Orville Hungerford and Betsy P. Stanley:
8. ORVILLE HUNGERFORD, son of Timothy Hungerford and Hannah Heicox was born in Farmington CT on 29 Oct. 1790. In 1804 at 14 he moved to Jefferson Co with his father. After coming to the county he worked in the store of JABEZ FOSTER at Burrville, which in 1808 was moved to Watertown. The War of 1812 brought them a huge business due to the troop involvement at Sacketts Harbor. In 1815 he opened his own business and continued until 1845 when he withdrew from the mercantile business and became involved with a railroad company. He was also identified with the Jefferson County Bank and was a directorate and president. Orville died 6 April 1851 after a brief illness at 61 years. He married on 13 October 1813 to BETSY P. STANLEY, daughter of GEORGE and HANNAH (PORTER) STANLEY. She was born 27 March 1786 at Wethersfield CT and died 17 Sept. 1861.
16 i MARY S. HUNGERFORD; married ADRIEL ELY and died Watertown
17 ii MARCUS HUNGERFORD died Watertown; four children
18 iii MARTHA B. HUNGERFORD; married ISAAC COVERT of NY City and Port Washington NY
19 iv RICHARD E. HUNGERFORD died Watertown
20 v FRANCES HUNGERFORD
21 vi GRACE HUNGERFORD; married GEORGE SEIPLE of Watertown NY
10.EDWIN HUNGERFORD, son of Timothy Hungerford and Mary Richardson was born Watertown NY on 13 April 1809 and died at Evans Mills, NY on 5 Aug. 1891 at 82 years 4 months. He married 1st on 30 Jan. 1829 CATHERINE FERREL, who was born in 1810 and died Feb. 1835. On 1 Sept. 1840 he married (2) LAURA M. HASKINS who was born 17 April 1817 and died 3 Feb. 1863.
Children of Edwin and Catherine Ferrel Hungerford:
22 i MARY ANN HUNGERFORD born 16 Oct. 1830; married PORTAL BARNEY of Henderson, NY in Dec. 1852; he died Jan. 1863.
23 ii SARAH ANN HUNGERFORD born 16 Jan. 1832; died 6 May 1891; married DAVID BRIANT of LeRay NY in Dec. 1852.
24 iii ELBERT HUNGERFORD born 16 March 1834; married 16 Aug. 1859 to EMILY FRANCES ORR of Pulaski NY, who was born in Richland, Oswego Co NY on 26 Feb 1841 and resided in Evans Mills, NY.
Children of 10. Edwin and Laura M. Haskins Hungerford:
25 i EDWIN OSCAR HUNGERFORD born Evans Mills 5 July 1841; married ANN COOK.
26 ii ALICE ADELAIDE HUNGERFORD born Evans Mills on 10 Sept. 1843; married HENRY MORRIS
27 iii ELLA JENNIE HUNGERFORD born Evans Mills 6 Sept. 1847
28 iv LELIA IONE HUNGERFORD born Evans Mills on 9 April 1850; married CARLETON CLIFFORD of Rochester, NY
29 v ARTHUR EUGENE HUNGERFORD born Evans Mills 12 Feb. 1852; married JENNIE B. PORTER of Lowville NY
22. MARY ANN HUNGERFORD born 16 Oct. 1830; married PORTAL BARNEY of Henderson, NY in Dec. 1852; he died Jan. 1863.
Children of 22. Mary Ann Hungerford and Portal Barney:
30 i KATE LOUISE BARNEY born Nov. 1853
31 ii DANIEL L. BARNEY born 26 Feb. 1856
23. SARAH ANN HUNGERFORD born 16 Jan. 1832; died 6 May 1891; married DAVID BRIANT of LeRay NY in Dec. 1852.
son of SARAH ANN HUNGERFORD and DAVID BRIANT:
32 i HENRY ELBERT BRIANT born Sept. 1855
Children of 24. Elbert Hungerford and Emily F. Orr:
33 i ELVA E. HUNGERFORD born Watertown NY on 21 June 1860; married WALTER HOWLAND at Evans Mills on 2 April 1891.34 ii BURT ORR HUNGERFORD born 4 July 1861; died 25 June 1862
35 iii JAMES MONTROSE HUNGERFORD born LeRay NY 26 June 1863, married on 26 March 1890 at Clayton IRENE JOHNSTON, born in Clayton, daughter of SIMON G. JOHNSTON.36 iv CATHERINE BLANCHE HUNGERFORD born LeRay on 9 Dec. 1865; married STANNARD BUTLER of Pottsdam NY 37 v LYLA FRANCES HUNGERFORD born 5 July 1867 38 vi STELLA CORNELIA HUNGERFORD born 8 Sept. 1869; married FRED HOWLAND, supervisor of Rutland, NY
39 vii REXEL PORTER HUNGERFORD born 25 April 1877; died 12 May 1882
40 viii RUTH MABEL HUNGERFORD born 8 Nov. 1882
41 ix FRANK ELBERT HUNGERFORD born 26 Feb 1886.
Child: STANLEY G. HUNGERFORD born in Clayton on 29 May 1896.
35. JAMES MONTROSE HUNGERFORD born LeRay NY 26 June 1863. In 1883 he located in Clayton and became foreman in Atwood Brothers' plumbing shops. In 1888 he opened his own business. James married on 26 March 1890 at Clayton to IRENE JOHNSTON, born in Clayton, daughter of SIMON G. JOHNSTON.
c. TRUMAN HUNGERFORD
Children of TIMOTHY HUNGERFORDand MARY RICHARDSON?
d. MARY HUNGERFORD
e. JABEZ FOSTER HUNGERFORDf. WILLIAM HUNGERFORD g. MARY ANN HUNGERFORD
Source: Oakes Hist. Of Jeff Co NY Vol. 1.; Child's Gazetteer
Return to City of Watertown
Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page