We are indebted to Leon Hunter for allowing us to copy his mother's scrapbook, and particularly, once again, to Shirley Farone for retyping all this. Shirley does most of the formatting, also, leaving us with an easy upload. Thanks, Shirley and Leon! The original scrapbook is now in the Northern New York Agricultural Museum, of which Leon is a trustee. Marguerite Raineri, the director, has made the scrapbooks available to us.

Part: 1, Part: 2, Part: 3, Part: 4, Part: 5, Part: 6, Part: 7, Part: 8


A most enjoyable “going away party” was given last evening by the Misses Margaret Heustis and Lulu Barnes, at the home of the former, the occasion being the departure of Miss Heustis for the Laconic school, at Lakeville, Conn., the latter part of the month, and also the moving from the village of Miss Barnes, who with her brother and sister, Mr. and Mrs. A. Breslin, will shortly leave for Ilion, their future home. The company was composed of 24 young ladies of the High school and two of the family. The entertainment provided was most unique, partaking of the nature of a school, every feature being carried out from the usual roll-call and the passing of the water pail to the presentation of prizes to the successful contestants. The house was handsomely decorated with all the flowers of the season, and with the many prettily attired guests presented an attractive appearance.

The young lady giving the most correct answers in the various studies was Miss Maude Young, to whom a pretty picture was awarded. The consolation prize in the form of a tin plate containing the alphabet was presented to Miss Esther Benedix. Miss Lydia Mills as the champion drawer was rewarded with a package of fancy pencils. Each guest was presented with a souvenir, the photos of the charming young entertainers. After the program was completed excellent cake, cream and lemonade were served.

The guests: Esther Benedix, Elizabeth Bowler, Jennie Burke, Leah Clute, Lydia Davis, Miss Dudley, Julia Edwards, Anna Finn, Natalie Fonda (New Rochelle), Gertrude George, Florence George, Margie Harmon, Ruth Howard (Fort Hunter), Dorothia Lathers, Florence McLaughlin, Sattie Sponenberg, Kathryn Spraker, Caroline Swain, Maude Young, Miss Van Vechten, Charlotte Veeder, Julia Wagner, Mazie Shutts and Florence Wittemeier of Fort Hunter.


Year not indicated:
Ilion, June 22. -- There is nothing new in the situation with reference to strike of the aligners at the typewriter plant. Manager Calder is out of town today and there is no statement from either side of the difficulty.

Exercises of Class of ‘09--

The class of ‘09 of the High School held its class day exercises at the Opera House last evening. The audience present packed the house to overflowing. In the decorations daisies, palms and cattails with the class colors of yellow and black used, making the house decidedly attractive.

A selection by the orchestra under the direction of Miss Dema Perkins opened the exercises, which was followed by the class song rendered by the entire class. Harold Jarvis, president of the class, then gave an address which was delivered in an eloquent manner, recalling the happiness of school days. “The Day of Judgment” was the subject of Miss Grace Greenfield. The speaker’s remarks were heartily applauded by the large audience. Following Miss Greenfield’s address the class presented two acts from the tragedy, “Julius Caesar,” with the following cast: Brutus, Ray Shaul; Cassius, Leland Quinlavin; First Citizen, James Fitzferald (sic); Second Citizen, Westley (sic) Ingersoll; Third Citizen, Arthur Roberts; Fourth Citizen, Bernard Tracy; Antony, Clyde Knandel. The play was ably interpreted, which was demonstrated by the loud applause by the audience. The orchestra rendered aother number after which the class quartette, consisting of Knandel and Shaul, tenors, and Roberts and Russell, bassos, sang a selection in a pleasing manner.

The comedy, “Three Chauffeurs,” was full of humorous situations during the parts admirably. The cast: Kitty Kennedy, Rachel Jencks; Lorry Spencer, Harold Russell; Marvin Hunter, Fred King; Mrs. L. Spencer, Lulu Barnes; Gertrude Castleton, Olive Williamson; Betty Marshall, Gertrude Corney; Lois Drummond, Elizabeth Dutcher; Jane Armstrong, Elizabeth Matthews; Lucile Beverly, Jessie Pratt; Minta Morris, Anna Kellner; Eugenia Allen, Eva Hempstead; Mary Smith, Blanche Burdick; Patience Primrose, Floy (sic) Brown; Mrs. Spencer, Blanche Ingalls; Lieut. Beverly Churchill, U. S. A., Harold Jarvis: Nora. Selena Houghton: Annie, May Jarvis: directress, Miss Douglas. The exercises closed with the singing of the “Alma Mater” by the class. While the audience was leaving the various class yells were given. The year’s class, in which there are 34 graduates, is the largest in the history of the school.



Plessis, Dec. 21. -- On Thursday evening at 7 at the Methodist parsonage in Plessis the marriage of Clark Williams of Plessis and Miss Lulu Barnes of the same place took place. After a wedding tour to Syracuse and vicinity Mr. and Mrs. Williams will reside at Plessis. The couple were attended by Claude Bretch of Omar and Miss Gertrude Dollinger of Clayton. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Norman A. Darling of Plessis.

(underneath the above was written in pencil “Dec. 16, - 1909”)


The Commencement -- (1909)

The largest class ever graduated from the Ilion High School, numbering 34 students, of whom 15 are young ment (sic), held its commencement exercises at the Opera House last evening. The juniors occupied the boxes and it was evident that the dove they liberated, bearing the class colors, at the close of the exercises, was not the dove of peace, for they indulged in a few pranks, including the suspension of their banner in the center of the hall, but their efforts were without result in the way of causing any annoyance. As the curtain arose pretty decorations were brought into view and in the deep center of the stage was displayed the class colors and banners of the class. Seated on the stage, were the Board of Education, Supt. F. D. Warren, the High School faculty and the class. The orchestra, under the direction of Miss Dema Perkins, rendered the medley overture, “Glittering Glow Worm” after which prayer was offered by the Rev. S. J. Greenfield, pastor of the Methodist Church. The first speaker was Fred King, who spoke on the subject, “A Defense of the Indians.” “Andrew Carnegie’s Use of His Money” was the theme on which Miss May Jarvis had written an oration which she delivered. Arthur Roberts was the next speaker, taking as his subject, “The Need of a Larger Navy.” The orchestra then rendered a selection from “The Yankee Tourist,” and the next speaker was Wesley Ingersoll, whose oration was “The Corscican’s Ambition.” Miss Laura Chandler had, for her subject “The Kindergarten.” “The Power of the People,” was the oration delivered by the next speaker, Harold Russell. Waltz music from the “Prima Donna” was the next pleasing selection by the orchestra. Miss Selena Houghton was the next speaker, her oration being on “What We Owe to New England.” The last speaker was James Fitzgerald, who had for his subject “Scotland’s Greatest Hero.” The overture “Titania” was rendered by the orchestra, after which the class was addressed by Supt. F. D. Warren, who congratulated the members and for himself and faculty told of appreciation in which they held the class for staying at their studies until the time of graduation, and honor which only from five to ten per cent of students reach. He gave the class much good advice. He then introduced Dr. James I. Rasbach, a member of the Board of Education, who presented to each member his or her diploma, while from the gallery students called the members by name and cheered them on. Benediction was pronounced by the Rev. H. E. Pike, after which the orchestra closed the exercises with selections from “King Dodo.” Class yells from both the senior and junior classes filled the hall until all had left. The students were trained in their oratorical work by Prof. Samuel Porter and all appeared to fine effect.

Wesley Ingersoll is the valedictorian and Fred King the salutatorian of the class.





Lafargeville, Nov. 20. -- Mrs. William Marsh, aged 57 years, died suddenly Saturday night at 6. She had been suffering for some time from heart trouble but had been about her work as usual and apparently in her usual health.

She was born in the town of Alexandria, daughter of George and Catherine Honeyman. She was a member of the Lafargeville Methodist Episcopal church, Lafargeville grange, No. 15, and Rebekah Lodge.

Surviving are her husband; one son, Clarence Marsh of Lafargeville; three brothers, George Honeyman of Plessis; Byron Honeyman of Lafargeville and Edward Honeyman of Pamelia; two sisters, Mrs. Elida Williams of Plessis and Mrs. Emma Roswell of Carthage.

The funeral will be held Tuesday afternoon at 2 from the Methodist Episcopal church, Rev. William Eddy officiating. Burial will be made here.



Teachers Surprise Friends Here By Taking Out Marriage
License On Week-End.

(Special To The Times.)

New York, June 1. -- Earl M. Cass, 24, a school teacher formerly of Palermo, Oswego county, N. Y., now residing at 2940 Broadway this city, and Miss Beulah A. Ball, 27, a school teacher, formerly of Watertown, N. Y., and now living at 36 Vermilla avenue, this city, obtained a license to wed at the Municipal building in this city today, and announced they planned to be married today at the Dyckman Presbyterian church, this city, by the Rev. Dr. Walter D. Knight.

Miss Hall was born in Watertown, N. Y., and is the daughter of Henry C. and Myrtle Horne Ball. Mr. Cass was born in Palermo, Oswego county, N. Y., and is the son of Millard E. and Dora Cass.

Miss Ball is a graduate of Watertown High school in the class of 1917 and is a graduate of Potsdam Normal school. Her parents live on the Gotham street road just off the Burrville state highway.

Upon her graduation from Normal school she taught at Chauteaugay and Cobleskill, later going to Ilion, where she has since been engaged as a teacher. It was there that she met Mr. Cass.

According to her parents, she had been in Ilion until the past week when she went to New York for a few days. Although her parents did not know that the license had been issued, until informed by the Times, Mrs. Ball expressed no surprise at the news. Mrs. Ball says that she expects that they carried out their intention to be married in New York.

Mr. Cass had been teaching during the past year in Waterford High school, in the manual training department, according to Mrs. Ball. He is a graduate of Columbia university and has accepted a position at the University of Pittsburgh



Was a Former School Teacher In This Locality--
Truant Officer for 37 Years.

Nathaniel Watson Freeman, 91, died at his home near here Sunday Feb. 11th after a few days’ illness.

Mr. Freeman was born Feb. 4th, 1842, a son of Friend and Catherine Spaulsbury Freeman.

On Nov. 9th, 1882, he married Miss Lucetta Card and to them were born one son and one daughter.

Mr. Freeman taught school in this locality for 30 years and had been truant officer of the town of Alexandria 37 years, every year except one since the truancy law went into force. He also served 32 years as justice of peace.

He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church for 61 years.

He is survived by his wife; one daughter, Clara, Redwood; one son, Clarence, who resides at home; one sister, Mrs. Sarah Howit, Arcade.

Funeral services were held Thursday afternoon from the Plessis Methodist Episcopal church. Rev. Fred Lewis officiated.



Native of Collins Landing, Town of Alexndia
Funeral From Home Thursday at 2 P. M.
Philadelphia Resident 30 YEARS.

(Special to The Times.)

Philadelphia, Dec. 31. -- Mrs. Celesta H. Whittaker, 86, widow of Ervin P. Whittaker, died Monday evening at 8:30 at her home on Clark street, this village. She had been a resident of this village for the past 30 years, removing here from Alexandria Bay.

Since the death of hr husband, Mrs. Whittaker had lived alone until last summer when her health failed. Mrs. Whittaker was born Nov. 4, 1849, near Collins Landing in the town of Alexandria, a daughter of Eli and Sophia Taft Rogers. She was one of a family of four children and was the last surviving member of the family.

Her husband, Ervin P. Whittaker, died September, 1908. She was a member of the Baptist church and until her health failed was a regular attendant at church and at Sunday school.

Surviving are one son, Burtis E. Whittaker of this village; two granddaughters, four nieces (pencilled in was “Florence“), one nephew.

Funeral services will be held Thursday at 2 p.m. from her home, Rev. George G. Upham, pastor of the Philadelphia Baptist church, officiating.


Gerald L. Pollock

Who has been employed in the office of the St. Regis Paper company of Norfolk for the past 18 months, left this morning for Washington, D. C., where he has accepted the appointment to a federal position. He was accompanied by his mother, Mrs. Clarence F. Pollock, 829 Superior street, city, who will return in a week or ten days.


Plessis Items

Plessis, Nov. 6. -- Election passed off quietly here, although a fuller vote than usual was polled. The Ladies Aid served chicken pie dinner and supper in grange hall and realized over $90 from the meals served and a sale of useful and fancy articles.
--James Dillon of Alexandria Bay, Mr. and Mrs. C. S. Walts of Omar and Mr. and Mrs. Adolphus Wood of Redwood were among the election day visitors in town.
--Mr. and Mrs. Valentine Timmerman of Dexter are quests of Mrs. Jennie Holkins and other friends in town for a few days.
--Dr. Byron Haskins of Theresa and F. M. Putnam are on camping and duck hunting trip on the St. Lawrence.
--The Ladies’ Aid of the Methodist Episcopal church met, at the home of Mrs. Bertha Peck Wednesday afternoon.
--Adolphus Wood of Redwood, has purchased the Alfred Beckwith property in this village and will proceed to repair and improve the same.
Mrs. Earle Hunter who has been in poor health for some time, was taken by Mr. Hunter to Ogdensburg recently to consult Dr. Madill.

--On Friday evening, Oct. 30, a Hallowe’en masquerade party was held at the delightful country home of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Rowell for their son, Niles. The house was decorated for the occasion with orange and black crepe paper, black cats, goblins, witches, etc., and lighted with yellow lights, candles and Jack O’Lanterns. The evening was spent with Hallowe’en games, stunts and music. At midnight ice cream and wafers were served in the dimly lighted room, by ghostly figures, while other ghosts appeared at the windows. All the guests were very cleverly dressed and well disguised. The host, Niles Rowell, was dressed in an orange and black clown suit, and there were witches, ghosts, negroes and other clowns. Fannie Zimmer received prize for girl having best costume and Roscoe Hunter for boy having the best. Other prizes of Hallowe’en souvenirs were given to winners of games and orange and black favor baskets and fancy colored balloons were presented to each guest. A thoroughly good time was enjoyed by all and in parting the boys sang a farewell song, Good Night Witches. Those present were Korleen Zimmer, Alzina Sprague, Verah Hotis, Helen Hunter, Fannie Zimmer, Ruth Ripley, Margaret Rolder, Doris Bradley, Lois Zimmer, Mathilda Hanni, Veneta Allen, Margaret Zimmer, Loois Bradley, Lila Rowell, Allan Bradley, Guy Bats, Glenn Bates, Martin Hanni, Roy Hunter, Wayne Williams, Gaylord Williams, Clifford Bellinger, Roscoe Hunter, Thomas Hunter, Keith Allen, Charles Bradley, Lloyd Elliott, Virgil Reynolds, Niles Rowell. Rev. and Mrs. Bradley, and Mr. Frank Bellinger were also present.



THERESA. -- Rev. and Mrs. W. J. Hancock of Plessis, sail July 26 from New York city on the S. S. American Banker, for London, England. Mr. Hancock, retired Methodist Episcopal clergyman, is 76, and a native of England.

This will be his 11th crossing of the Atlantic. He and Mrs. Hancock will be gone three months and while in London will visit their daughter, Mrs. Harley Stone, London representative of the W. S. Rice Inc., of Adams.



PHILADELPHIA. _- Services were held at 2 o’clock Tuesday afternoon at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Orren S. Bates, Main street, for John G. Loehr, 90, who died there Sunday morning.

Rev. H. H. Lamb officiated at the services and burial was in Oakwood cemetery, at Theresa. He is survived by three children, Mrs. D. H. Horton of Chaumont, Mrs. Orren S. Bates of this village; and Harvey J. Loehr of LaFargeville. Several grandchildren also survive.


A. Norris McVeigh

War Veteran, Dies, Rites Tomorrow

WATERTOWN. -- A. Norris McVeigh, 41, world war veteran, railroad fireman and engineman, died at 7:45 o’clock Tuesday morning at his home, 727 Holcomb street, 15 minutes after he had been stricken with a cerebral hemorrhage.

Mr. McVeigh suffered a previous cerebral hemorrhage July 27, 1934. He had not been working recently, but was to return to railroad work this fall. He was a native of Brownville, son of Andrew B. and Sophronia A. Kilborn McVeigh. He had lived here 20 years. In his early manhood he was a farmer. In 1917 he entered the New York Central service as a fireman and in 1927 was made an engineman.

He was a member of Company H. 346th infantry, 87th during the world war and went to France with that division in August, 1918. The division was ordered to move up to replace the 78th the day the armistice was signed.

Surviving are two sisters, Mrs. McKinley and Mrs. Matthew M. Howard, Evans Mills; and a brother, Howard B. McVeigh, this city. The funeral will be at his home at 2 o’clock Thursday afternoon. Rev. Herbert Harrison of Brownville will officiate. Burial will be in North Watertown cemetery.



Potsdam, Jan. 11. -- Funeral services were held this afternoon at 2 at the farm home of Mr. and Mrs. Reginald Drake on the Hopkinton road out of this village, for Nancy Ingersoll Drake, three and a half months old infant daughter, who died at 6:30 Tuesday evening after an illness lasting but one day. Venous hemorrhages was given by attending physicians as the immediate cause of death. Rev. John A. Redmond of the local Methodist church was the officiating clergyman. The body was placed in the vault at Bayside cemetery.

Mrs. Drake was formerly Miss Margaret Vedder, well known throughout this section of the county due to her vocal ability, She graduated from Crane department of music of the Normal school here in the class of 1932. She is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Vedder of Fonda. Charles Veghte, Johnstown, maternal great-grandfather of the infant also survives.

Mr. Drake is a graduate of the state agricultural school, Canton. He now operates a dairy farm.

Nancy Ingersoll was an only child of the young couple.


Alden E. Rosbrook


WATERTOWN.-- Alden E. Rosbrook, state trooper stationed at Dannemora, and Miss Pauline Fitzsimmons, Abington apartments, Holcomb street, who took out a marriage license Tuesday afternoon, will be married at 7 o’clock Wednesday evening at St. Patrick’s church rectory, Rev. P. B. Riley officiating.

Miss Fitzsimmons is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Fitzsimmons of Alexandria Bay. Mr. Rosbrook is the son of Mrs. Alice M. Rosebrook of Albany and the late Alden I. Rosbrook, former supreme court reporter at Albany. After their wedding trip the couple will reside in Watertown.


C. J. Hardy Dies In Sleep

Plessis Man Was Found Dead in Bed
by His Daughter, Mrs. GladysMellor, on Her Return FromWatertown, Friday

Charles J. Hardy, 76, carpenter by trade, was found dead in bed at his home in Plessis by his daughter, Mrs. Gladys Mellor, upon her return from Watertown Friday afternoon about 5.

Dr. E. E. Eddy of Redwood was called and he said that the man had been dead for about two hours. Heart disease was the cause of death.

Born in Plessis on Oct. 19, 1857, a son of Erastus and Catherine Sheley Hardy, he spent his entire life here except for ten years in the west. He married Miss Lina Van Amber of Plessis in that village on Aug. 26, 1891. She passed away just six years ago Friday.

Four children were born to the union. Three of them, Mary Catherine, Charles Frederick and Bernice L. Hardy, passed away in infancy. The survivors are his daughter, Mrs. Mellor of Plessis and five grandchildren.

Practicing his trade of carpentry, Mr. Hardy went to Gary, Ind., in 1907, spending two years there and going to North Dakota where he lived for eight years. He returned to Plessis in 1917 and had resided there since. Mr. Hardy was collector of taxes for the Town of Alexandria for a number of years.

The funeral was held from the home Sunday afternoon at 2 with Rev. Fred H. Lewis officiating. The body was placed in the Plessis vault to await burial later in the spring.

Bearers were Claude Makepeace, Fred George, Harry Penn, H. N. Norton, M. W. Reed and G. A. Snell.



Says He Was Shooting at Target and Mechanism Jammed
Neither of Two Seriously Injured.

Gouverneur, Nov. 4 -- Miss Opal Bartlett, 21, Redwood, and Glenn Calhoun, 23, Theresa, narrowly escaped serious injuries in a hunting accident near Harrisville late Sunday afternoon when a 38-40 caliber rifle in the hands of Harland Jackson, 16, Harrisville, was accidentally discharged, the bullet passing through Mr. Calhoun’s back in the lumbar region, laterally, and then going through Miss Bartlett’s left wrist and left thigh.

Members of the hunting party brought the two injured persons to VanDuzee hospital here, where they were admitted at about 8 p.m. Saturday. Their wounds were dressed at the hospital and Miss Bartlett went on to her home in Redwood. Mr. Calhoun remained in the hospital but his condition was reported not serious last night.

The accident occurred while several members of the hunting party were shooting at targets near Rockwell creek in the vicinity of Harrisville at about 4 p.m. Saturday. In the hunting party were George Bartlett, the father of Opal Bartlett; Wayne and Lloyd Bartlett, Don Dallinger, Miss Helen Briggs, Gerald and Harland Jackson, and Glenn Calhoun. The hunting party was at the Jackson camp.

Miss Briggs, Miss Bartlett and Mr. Calhoun were sitting on a rock, firing at a target on a tree with a 22 calibre rifle. A notch had been cut on the tree, and the three hunters on the rock were shooting at this notch as a target. Other members of the party were sitting around on logs and stones.

Suddenly the three people on the rock heard the crashing report of a rifle, some distance behind them. Harland Jackson, 16, said that he also was shooting at a target, with a 38-40 calibre rifle. As he aimed t the target and pulled the trigger, he said, the mechanism jammed, and he lowered the gun, to re-load. He said that he did not know how the accident happened or how the rifle was discharged.

Apparently the bullet passed through the heavy muscles of the lumbar region of Mr. Calhoun’s back, inflicting a painful wound but one not thought to be serious. After passing laterally through the man’s back, the bullet passed through Miss Bartlett’s left wrist and left thigh.

This was considered one of the most unusual hunting accidents in this region to occur in many years. A difference of only one or two inches in the line of the drive of the rifle bullet might have been fatal for some of the people sitting on the rock. The accident was reported to the state troopers of the Gouverneur patrol.



Despondent Over Mother's Death and Ill Health
GUY P. BEEBEE, 261 HUNT STREET Takes Life By Drinking Carbolic Acid
While Wife of Five MonthsIs Out with Boarder Visiting a Friend
Wife's Brother Burns Death Note.

Guy Preston Beebee, 19, laundryman, committed suicide at the home of his mother-in-law, Mrs. Lucena Thomson, 261 Hunt street, off upper State street, about 7 Wednesday night by drinking a small amount of carbolic acid. Physicians say that he died within a few minutes after swallowing the poisonous liquid.

The youth, who had been in ill health for the past few months and grief-stricken over the death of his mother, was alone in the house when he took his life in the bedroom on the second floor. His wife, Mrs. Lulu Thomson Beebee, 23, with his consent had left at 6:45 p.m. in company with a boarder, Stephen Davis, 26, to visit a friend in Moffett street. Davis has been a boarder in the residence for two years.

Returning home at 7:45 the wife upon opening the front door, smelled carbolic acid. Throwing off her coat, she rushed upstairs and found her husband, lying face downward on the floor near the bed, dead. She ran down the stairs screaming, told the boarder of her husband's act and then hurried next door to get her brother, Frederick C. Thomson, 269 Hunt street.

The brother, upon entering the house, detected a note, scribbled in ink on the sitting room table, addressed to his wife. He read it and then returned over to the sobbing wife, but failed to keep it, instructing her brother to burn it in the stove. The brother obeyed her request and soon the mysterious paper was enveloped in flames. The exact wording of the death note will never be known, officially.

The wife claimed to the police that the contents of the note "were nothing to be ashamed of." She could give no reason to the authorities for her quickness in destroying the last written words of her husband.

"In the note," the wife told the police, "he said that he was going to join his mother, Mrs. Grace Hunneyman Beebee. She died three months ago. Since her death Guy had been grief-stricken. He also expressed the wish in the note that I was present before he committed his act. At the end of the note were scribbled cross marks for kisses. Toward the conclusion of the note, Guy said that he wanted to be buried in his wedding clothes."

Youth in Poor Health.

Shortly before his marriage last May the youth had an operation for appendicitis. He had never been in good health since that time, the family said this morning. Last summer, while working at the Watertown Steam Laundry in Huntington street, he injured his side in such a manner that he became violently ill at times. His case was carried to compensation court. On Wednesday afternoon he quit work earlier than usual because of an illness. His condition improved later in the day, relatives said this morning. Mrs. Beebee is an expectant mother.

"After eating supper I asked Guy if he would go with Stephen and myself to a friend's home in Moffett street, for a short visit," the wife said today. "He said that he did not feel well and didn't care about going. I wanted him to go. He told me that I could go if I wished then I told him that I would return in a short time. Accompanied by the boarder and in the latter's machine, I went to this friend's home. I never suspected that Guy would even think about committing suicide. He appeared in good spirits although at times lately he has been grief-stricken over the death of his mother three months ago. As I left the home Wednesday night he bade me good-bye and kissed me, saying "be home early, won't you dearie?"

The wife said that she and her husband had no serious quarrels. As she told relatives today, "Of course, Guy and I had a few little spats since our marriage and what married couples haven't had them? Guy and I loved each other. We were a happy couple. I can't understand why he should do such a thing, unless it was because of being grief-stricken over his mother's death and his own poor health. He had had several sinking spells lately and had always expressed a fear of having others, more severe than those of the past few weeks."

Police Notified.

Police headquarters was notified of the suicide by the relatives of the dead man shortly after the act had been discovered. Patrolman Daniel Doe went to the house to make an investigation. Dr. G. S. Nellis was called. He examined the man and pronounced him dead. The district attorney’s office was told of the suicide and Assistant District Attorney Melvin F. Kinkley made an investigation. The carbolic acid had been in the house for the past three years.

Mr. and Mrs. Beebee were married in this city by Rev. H. L. Pyle, pastor of the Emmanuel Congregational church, last May. Since their marriage they had lived at the home of the bride’s mother, Mrs. Lucena Thomson, in Hunt street.

Mr. Beebee was born in Alexandria Bay, Aug. 12, 1907, a son of Ray C. and the late Grace Hunneyman Beebee, formerly of that village. Mr. Beebee came to Watertown ten years ago with his family who live at 1018 Bronson street. For the past five years he had been employed at the Watertown Steam Laundry company in Huntington street.

Besides his wife he is survived by his father, Ray G. Beebee, 1018 Bronson street; two grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Bert E. Beebee, 515 Lamon street; three sisters, Mrs. Lena Bickelhaupt, Theresa, and the Misses Margaret A. and Katherine I. Beebee of 1018 Bronson street, and four brothers, Wayne B., Roscoe E., Charles F. and Vernon R., also of 1018 Bronson street.

Funeral services will be held from the late home Friday, Oct. 15, at 1:30 p.m. Rev. H. L. Pyle of the Emmanuel Congregational church officiating. Interment will be made in the Thomson plot in the North Watertown cemetery.

Note: A photo of Guy Preston Beebee standing near a porch steps was found on the same page of this scrapbook.



Funeral services for the late Guy Preston Beebee, 19-year-old laundryman, who committed suicide at the home of his mother-in-law, Mrs. Lucena Thompson, 261 Hunt street, by taking a small quantity of carbolic acid Wednesday night about 7, were held at the late home this afternoon at 1:30, with Rev. H. L. Pyle, pastor of the Emmanuel Congregational church officiating. Interment was made in the Thompson plot in the North Watertown cemetery.

The suicide (sic) had never recovered fully from an operation from appendicitis performed last May, just prior to this marriage. Since that operation he had suffered from epilepsy, it was learned from a reliable source today, and on the day that his mother died he had four severe sinking spells from epilepsy.



Pencilled note "1935")

Ray George Beebee, 55, died this morning at 1:10 at his home in Woodville following an illness from angina pectoris. Mr. Beebee was a former resident of Alexandria Bay, Plessis and this city.

He was born at Alexandria Bay, Sept. 25, 1880, a son of the late Bert and Hattie Beebee. His early life was spent at Alexandria Bay and Plessis. In 1916 he removed to this city where he resided for sometime (sic). He was a painter and paperhanger by occupation.

Mr. Beebee was twice married. On Nov. 24, 1902, he married Miss Grace Hunneyman of Plessis who died July 22, 1926. On May 3, 1935, he married Miss Ethel McPherson of this city.

Surviving are his widow; one sister, Mrs. Harold M. Knapp, 551 Mill street; seven children, Wayne Beebee and Vernon Beebee of this city; Mrs. Albert Bickelhaupt and Roscoe Beebee of Theresa; Margaret Beebee and Catherine Beebee of Redwood; Charles Beebee of Theresa; one granddaughter, Bethany Bickelhaupt of this city.

Funeral services will be held Friday at 2 p.m. from the home in Woodville with interment in North Watertown cemetery.



Chaumont, Aug. 30. -- The annual reunion of the Hunneyman family was held Wednesday at Schermerhorn Park, Chaumont. The day was spent in social activities. At noon a sumptuous dinner was served in the grove, after which the party repaired to the pavillion, where a musical program was enjoyed. Patriotic selections were sung by a choir consisting of members of the family and H. A. Rowell rendered several saxophone solos, with Miss Madelaine Davis of Carthage as piano accompanist. About 40 members were present, representing families from Plessis, Redwood, Lafargeville, and Carthage.

Officers for the coming year were chosen as follows: President, George A. Hunneyman; secretary and treasurer, William Marsh; committee on arrangements, Mrs. A. D. Williams, Mrs. William Marsh, and Mrs. T. S. Rowell; committee on entertainment, Mr. and Mrs. E. G. Rowell and Mr. and Mrs. Harold Hunneyman.




She Was a Daughter of the Late
Mr. and Mrs. Preston L. Williams, Early Settlers of
Southern End of Jefferson County.

Miss Leonett (in pencil, “Nettie”) Williams, daughter of the late Preston Lamont Williams and Pamelia Howell Williams of Pierrepont Manor, died suddenly Saturday night Saturday night at St. Luke’s hospital, New York, of a complication of bronchial and heart conditions.

Miss Williams had lived since 1906 in New York city, coming from St. Paul, Minn., where she was connected with the Singer Sewing Machine company for more than 20 years. During her residence in New York she had been active in charitable work in St. Agnes’ Chapel and had a host of friends.

Miss Williams was a descendant of early settlers of Jefferson county. Her father, Preston L. Williams, was born in the town of Ellisburg, near Pierrepont Manor, and was the son of Ebenezer and Elizabeth Earle Williams. Her mother, who was formerly Miss Pamelia Howell, was born at South Rutland a daughter of William and Mary Howell. (A pencilled note: “Sister of Caroline Ball.”)

Her paternal grandfather was born in Connecticut and later lived in Adams and then at Pierrepont Manor, where he died. Her paternal grandmother was born in Westport, Mass., and died about 1880 in Minnesota.

Miss Williams was one of nine children, her brothers and sisters being Edward Preston Williams, Frederick McClelland Williams, Frank M. Williams, Catherine Williams, who became the wife of Ralph Calkins; Mary Williams, who became the wife of Charles P. Cook of Baldwin, N. Y.; George Washington Williams of Brooklyn, Nellie Williams of Mannsville and Hettie B. Williams of Ogdensburg.

Mrs. Calkins died at Pierrepont Manor in 1898. Fred M. Williams, who was a member of the firm of the W. D. Power & Company, Inc., dealers in hay, straw and produce in New York, died in March, 1931, in New York. Frank M. Williams, who was president of the Broadway Central bank of New York, died in January, 1927, also in New York. George W. Williams was a hay dealer in Brooklyn.

Fred Williams up to his death resided part of the time at the old family home in Pierrepont Manor, which still remains in the family.

Mrs. Mary Cook of Baldwin, L. I., is one of Miss Williams’ surviving sisters.

The father, Preston L. Williams, was a prominent produce merchant.

Funeral services for Miss Williams will be held Wednesday afternoon at 2 in St. Agnes’ Chapel at 91st Street, west of Columbus avenue, New York city, Rev. Dr. W. W. Bellinger, rector, will officiate. Burial will be made in Woodlawn cemetery, New York, in the plot of the late Frank Williams, her brother.



A Native of Pierrepont Manor Where His Family Had Resided For More Than 100 Years.

Pierrepont Manor, Oct. 7. -- Funeral services for the late Edward P. Williams, who died at his home here Monday morning after a long illness, will be held at the late home in this village Wednesday afternoon at 2.

Edward Preston Williams, the eldest son of Preston and Pamelia Williams, was born June 3, 1860, at Pierrepont Manor, where he continued to reside until 18 years of age. He attended the public schools until 17. He began his business career assisting his father, who was extensively engaged in the produce business. (Pencilled note: “Cousin of Mamas”)

In 1879, believing that the west offered greater opportunities for young men, he went to La Sure, Minn., remaining there for a time and then went to Minneapolis, where he learned telegraphy and railroading. He subsequently was employed by the Minneapolis & St. Louis, Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha, and Northern Pacific Railways as a telegraph operator, station agent and train despatcher.

In 1883, feeling that the commercial field offered greater opportunities for financial advancement, he resigned his position with the Minneapolis & St. Louis railway and came east locating in Albany, N. Y., where he engaged in the wholesale produce business. From a modest beginning, in 1883, within a few years he became one of the leading produce dealers in Albany. Feeling that Albany was the natural distributing point for the New England states, he organized and erected the Capital City Cold Storage Warehouse, with a storage capacity of 500 cars, which was the largest cold storage warehouse at the time east of Buffalo. This plant later was disposed of to the Eastern States Cold Storage company.

In 1906 he secured an admirable location in Albany and organized the Albany Refrigerating and Warehouse company. Under the supervision of Mr. Williams, this company erected one of the largest cold storage plants in the state which was later disposed of to a syndicate of Albany business men. In addition to the produce and cold storage business, Mr. Williams was identified with many of the leading business enterprises of Albany and vicinity, namely the Consumers Ice company, The United States Building Loan and Mutual Accommodating Association, the Schenectady and Albany Electric Railway company, the Empire State Cold Storage and Warehouse company and organizer of the Salmon River Lumber company, which owned a large tract of timber land in Orwell and Boylston. While active in business affairs, Mr. Williams devoted a great deal of his time to civic affairs of inestimable value to his state and nation., He was a staunch Republican, but not an office seeker. His advice, however, was eagerly sought in political matters.

Like others of his family, he has throughout life been a loyal friend to the Episcopal church. He holds a high place in the Masonic fraternity, having attained the 32nd degree. He was married in 1836 to Miss Ida G. Merrian, widow of Howard Buckland, of Whitehall, N. Y. She was a member of an old New England family. Owing to failing health, Mr. Williams retired from business several years ago. Since then he has been enjoying the fruits of his earlier efforts. Two years ago he removed to his boyhood home at Pierrepont Manor, N. Y., where he has devoted his time during the past few years to rehabilitating the old home which today is one of the finest places in northern New York, known as the Manorview Ridge, the home of the Williams family during the past century.

Some two months ago, Mr. Williams was obliged to go to the House of the Good Samaritan in Watertown, his condition later resulting in the amputation of his right leg. This serious operation undermined his health to an extent that resulted in serious illness, causing his death Monday.

Besides his widow, who now resides in this village, Mr. Williams leaves two brothers, F. M. Williams, prominent hay merchant of New York and Frank Williams, president of the Broadway Central bank, New York; and two sisters, Mrs. Charles P. Cook of Baldwin, L. I. and Miss Nettie Williams of New York.

Note: A photo of “The Late Edward P. Williams” appeared on this page two columns to the left of Mr. Williams’ obit.


“Born, --?--, July 15, 1915, to Mr. and Mrs. Mark Williams, a son.”


Oyster Supper at Plessis.

(Pencilled note: 1917)

Plessis, Feb. 10. -- The seventh annual oyster supper of the Eight-Plus Club was held Jan. 31, at the home of Charles Hunter. A severe snow and wind storm during the night filled the roads, but the crowd reached home in time to begin their day’s work. The next gathering will be held with Mr. and Mrs. Williams.

The fourth annual oyster supper of the Jolly Club was held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Clarke Williams Friday evening, March 13, 1914. Oysters were served after which music and a social time were enjoyed until a late hour. All voted Mr. and Mrs. Williams royal entertainers. The next supper will be held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ross Hunter. Those present were: Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Allen and children Venita and Keith, Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Hunter and children Helen and Roy, Mr. and Mrs. Ross Hunter and children, Roscoe and Thomas and Mr. and Mrs. Clarke Williams and children Wayne and Gaylord.


Plessis Notes

(Pencilled Note: 1915)

Plessis, Jan. 27. -- The fifth annual oyster supper of the Eight-plus (sic) was held Thursday evening at Ross Hunter’s. Those present were Mr. and Mrs. Ross Hunter and children, Mr. and Mrs. Clark Williams and children, Mr. and Mrs. Will Allen and children, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Hunter and family. A banquet was served, followed by a most enjoyable social evening. The guests left at a late hour with thanks to Mr. and Mrs. Hunter for their boutiful entertainment. The next annual meeting will be with Mr. and Mrs. Allen. ---Ross Hind is spending the week attending the corn show at Canton, as representative from Plessis grange. ---Mrs. Myra Proper of Omar is a guest of Mrs. O. Barnes. ---Mrs. A. Hunter is entertaining Helen Hunter of Godfreys Corners. ---Mr. and Mrs. Clarke Walts and grandson, Kenneth Brown, of Tanners spent Tuesday with friends in town.

The Eight Plus held their sixth annual oyster supper at the home of Will Allen Friday evening, Jan. 14th. Though the night was cold the attendance was good, seventeen being present. Three new members have been added to the clan since the last meeting, there now being eleven junior members. We are in hopes to even it up to twelve and win a Roosevelt medal. Those present were: Mr. and Mrs. Ross Hunter and three children; Mr. and Mrs. Clark Williams, and infant son; Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Hunter and two children; Mr. and Mrs. Will Allen and three children. (Pencilled note - “1916”

The clan will hold their supper next year with Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Hunter.

Plessis, Nov. 6. -- A son was born to Mr. and Mrs. Clark Williams, Oct. 28. He has been named Gaylord . (1913)



TO RE-OPEN ON SUNDAY Has Been Completely Repaired

Plessis, Nov. 12. -- Plessis community this week celebrates a century of Methodism for it was about the year 1925 that the first itinerant ministers or circuit riders visited the town of Alexandria. Available records go back to about the year 1850, but for some time previous to this classes had been formed in various localities in the town. By 1850 the Plessis charge had attained to a goodly size and classes were formed at Plessis, Redwood, The Center, Alexandria Bay, Barnes Settlement and the Bailey and the Baukus school houses. For a time the Methodist society at Plessis worshipped in the Union church, then in the school house. In 1859 they decided to build a place of worship and on the site donated by Samual Adams the present Methodist Episcopal church and parsonage were erected. The church was completed and dedicated in 1860, Horace P. Hoyt being the contractor and builder.

The general design of the auditorium and vestibule has been kept ever since. The choir loft, however was at first in the end toward the entrance to the auditorium. Upon the high steeple which has long been a landmark in the community was surmounted a weather-vane, the gift of Willard Shurtliff. In 1890 the church was remodeled, and practically made over. The inside decorations were of an unusual design and the church was considered one of the prettiest in this section. Rev. C. C. Phelps was then pastor and in 1891 while still pastor on this charge built the Redwood church.

Among the pastors who have served this charge are the following Reverends, Popple, Tilden, Nickerson, Austin Barker, Castle, Greenleaf, Simonds, Brown, William Holbrook, T. P. Bradshaw, Charles Dorr, S. F. Danforth, Kellogg, Robert Whipple, A. R. Smith, C. C. Phelps, J. W. McCallum, W. Thomas, W. E. Brown, J. W. Higby, Johnson, E. S. Cheeseman, John Bragg, S. Snowden, C. V. Haven, W. P. Garritt, A. S. Haven, Ernest Bragg and W. H. Bradley the present pastor.

Plessis church rejoices greatly in the growth and development of her two daughters, the Alexandria Bay and Redwood Methodist Episcopal churches. The Alexandria Bay church last spring celebrated its 50th birthday. Redwood became a separate charge in April, 1923.

During the past two months the Plessis church has been closed for the purpose of carrying out a very complete plan of repairs and redecoration. A new steel roof has replaced the old one, and a splendid new steel ceiling and side walls grace the interior.

Sunday, Nov. 15, will be a red letter day in Plessis, for then the church will welcome the congregation back again. For two months they have worshipped in the Grange hall, which was kindly placed at the disposal of the church folks while their building was undergoing repairs. But somehow there is no place quite like home, and it will seem good to get back to the church again. The morning service will be conducted by the pastor, Rev. W. H. Bradley, when the sacrament of the Lord’s Supper will be observed, and a reception service for new members will be held. In the evening the congregation of the Alexandria Bay Methodist Episcopal church, with the pastor, Rev. O. E. Raymond, and also the congregation of the Redwood Methodist Episcopal church with the pastor, Rev. E. Bragg, will attend and the Rev. E. B. Topping, D. D., of Watertown, superintendent of the Black River district, will preach and conduct the dedication service. A suitable musical program is being prepared for the occasion.



Three Generation of Bragg Family Held Pastorate--Old Acquaintances Renewed--Church Repaired. (1925)

Plessis, Nov. 17. -- Despite inclement weather a fair audience gathered at the Methodist Episcopal church here Monday evening to attend the meeting held in observance of the church centennial. The church was recently repaired and redecorated.

It had been expected that the Theresa quartette would be present, but they were unable to come. Squire Haskins of Theresa gave a half hour piano recital which was much enjoyed and appreciated by all present. The playing of, Home Sweet Home, arranged for the left hand only, was especially good.

Rev. W. H. Bradley, read letters from former pastors: Rev. J. W. Higby of Black River and from Rev. William Thomas, now retired, and from Rev. A. S. Haven, Newport, N. Y., Rev. Norman Darling, who came here as pastor 18 years ago and is now located at Camden, was present with Mrs. Darling and gave an interesting talk replete with reminiscences. He congratulated the people of the church and community on the good work which has been accomplished. He expressed his pleasure at meeting the people here again and also paid tribute to those who have passed beyond since he and Mrs. Darling left here 14 years ago.

Rev. Ernest Bragg of Redwood, pastor here for four years prior to assuming pastorate at Redwood two years ago, then spoke briefly, expressing his love and gratitude to the people here. Mr. Bragg’s grandfather and father were both pastors on this charge years ago, and he lived here several years when a boy.

Rev. Mr. Bradley then introduced Harold B. Johnson, editor of the Watertown Daily Times, who gave a most interesting address on, Our Great America and Our Individual Responsibility in Keeping It Great.

Mr. Johnson discussed the responsibility of individuals in taking an interest in public affairs and their government. He contrasted conditions in this country and in Europe. He predicted that when the Plessis church celebrated its 200th anniversary the 18th amendment would still be a part of the constitution of the United States in spite of its bitter assailants of the present generation.

The meting closed with the singing of America. Among those present from out of town besides those mentioned were: Dr. and Mrs. Haskin and son, Frank, Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Cook of Theresa.



Utica ’Bus Stalled in Snow Between Copenhagen and Burrville
Three Feet Drifts Are Reported
In Syracuse Road--Storm Was
Regular North Country Blizzard

(October 21, 1925)

Tuesday night’s snowfall tied up traffic on several roads leading into Watertown. The Syracuse highway was filled with snow to the depth of three feet at the Valley Filling station between Adams and Pierepont (sic) Manor. Pulaski reported a heavy fall of snow at 8 a.m. this morning. The storm was, according to the report, a regular North Country blizard (sic).

Twelve cars were stuck in the snow near Lowville, on the Watertown-Utica road and at several places between Copenhagen and Burrville the snow was said to be two feet deep.

The Colonial Motor Coach lines announced this morning that the Syracuse bus coped with the deep drifts and with the assistance of one of the line’s powerful snow plows was able to arrive in Watertown on time.

The Colonial Lines Utica bus was unable to get through the drifts between Copenhagen and Burville (sic) and at an early hour this afternoon was still suck (sic) in the snow. The bus was scheduled to arrive in Watertown at 10:30 and although a plow was sent out immediately from the local terminal employees of the lines were having great difficulty in releasing the bus at the latest report.




Plessis, Feb. 6. -- The funeral of the late Mrs. A. J. Williams was very largely attended at the family home Friday afternoon, Rev. W. H. Bradley officiating. Among those present from out of town were:

Dr. and Mrs. Byron Haskin, Mr. and Mrs. Irvin Van Allen, Mrs. Charles Wilson, Mr. and Mrs. William Tilley, Walter Tilley, Mrs. McCue, Mrs. George Eddy, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Howland, Miss Emma Brown and Mr. and Mrs. Zellar, all of Theresa; Rev. and Mrs. Ernest Bragg, Mrs. Esther West and Mrs. Harriette Frost of Redwood; Mr. and Mrs. F. E. Bellinger, LaFargeville; Mr. and Mrs. Cushman Sprague, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Sprague, Mrs. Lucy Hotaling, Mrs. Hanna and Mrs. Carl Roider of Baucus Settlement.

The bearers were A. D. Williams, James Bolton, Arthur Rowell, H. L. Penn, G. A. Snell and Ernest Brucker.

The casket was more than covered with beautiful flowers.

Mr. Bradley read several marked passages from Mrs. Williams’ own well used Bible and in closing recited her favorite poem, Crossing the Bar.

Burial was made in Plessis Brookside cemetery.



Elmer C. Whitaker, aged about 63 years, a former resident of this city died at his home in Auburn Monday after a long illness. The body will be brought to this city Wednesday for funeral services and burial.

Mr. Whitaker was born near Hyde Lake in the town of Theresa about 1861 and after spending his early life in that section he came to Watertown after his marriage to Miss Sylvia Gordon of Hammond. For several years he conducted a pool room in the Hungerford block.

He moved from Watertown about 20 years ago to Auburn, where for some time he conducted a news and cigar stand in that city and has recently been engaged in the grocery business.

He is survived by his widow, Mrs. Sylvia Whitaker; one daughter, Mrs. Frank Hurd, and one granddaughter, all of Auburn. Another daughter, Mattie Whitaker, died at about the age of 15, while the family were living in this city. He is also survived by a sister, Mrs. Florence Breslin, of Oneida, a half-sister, Mrs. Clark Williams, of Plessis, and an aunt, Mrs. Ann Bowles, of this city.

The body will arrive in this city on the 4:20 train Wednesday afternoon and the funeral services will be held in the Box Mortuary in Stone street, Thursday afternoon at 2, Rev. W. M. Hydon, pastor of the Asbury Methodist Episcopal church, officiating. Burial will be made in North Watertown cemetery.




(Special to The Times.)

Theresa, March 9. -- Edward Honeyman, aged about 70, a resident of Chaufty’s Corners, died about noon today at the Theresa hospital, where he had been a patient for several weeks. He suffered a general breakdown a few weeks ago.

Mr. Honeyman was born in this vicinity and had lived here all his life. He was a tenant farmer.

Funeral arrangements are incomplete.



Plessis, April 11. --A spirited baseball game was played on William Allen’s field Saturday between Plessis and Redwood teams, resulting in a score of 6 to 16 in favor of Plessis. The line up was as follows:


Plessis Redwood

Niles Rowell, capt................................ Kenneth Jewett, pitcher
Martin Hanni........................................ John Shannon,
(capt. catcher under Shannon’s name)
Allen Bradley............ first base...........Ellis White
Merle Reynolds........ second base.....Bill Carmon
Roland Bates............third base......... Bill Derby
Wayne Williams.......short stop.......... Olin Spies
Virgil Reynolds........ right field............ Donald Jewett
Glenn Bates............. left field.............. Lawrence Curtis
Lloyd Steacy........... center field......... Paul Krusa

Umpire --- Lloyd Smith.
Scorekeeper --- Gaylord Williams

A return game will be placed at Redwood next Saturday afternoon.


Plessis News Notes

Plessis, Feb. 10. --Victor, the 15 year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. William Cook, was taken to Ogdensburg last Thursday, suffering from an attack of appendicitis. His father accompanied him. Dr. Madill operated Saturday.
--The severe storm and cold of Saturday evening prevented the class meeting which was to have been held at the home of G. A. Snell.
--Horace and William Peck of Baucus Settlement, have purchased the William Forbes property in this village, and will take possession May 1. The Peck farm has been sold to Carl Roeder, who will work it in connection with the Leonhardt farm, which he now occupies.
--Mrs. Ella Williams is quite seriously ill with grip and complications. Mrs. Charles Reynolds is also ill and many cases of colds and grip are reported.
--Miss Mary Hind, having resigned her position as teacher of the senior department of the village school, Miss Sue Olds of Gouverneur has been engaged to fill the vacancy.
--Mr. and Mrs. Charles Hunter entertained the “Eight-plus” club Wednesday evening. Refreshments were served and owing to the attractions inside, and the storm outside, the guests tarried until nearly the break of another day. Those present were: Mr. and Mrs. Clark Williams and children, Mr. and Mrs. Ross Hunter and children, Mr. and Mrs. W. Allen and children.
--Jan. 31 being Master Roscoe Hunter’s sixth birthday, his aunt, Mrs. Lora Wilson Hunter, gave a children’s surprise party in his honor. The little folks spent a merry afternoon with games and music and then sat down to a beautifully decorated table on which the birthday cake with its lighted candles occupied the center.

Mrs. Caroline Williams


Plessis, Jan. 27. --The funeral of Mrs. Caroline Williams, which was held from her late home last Friday, was very largely attended. Rev. W. P. Garrett officiated and burial was made in the family plot in Brookside. Among friends present from out of town were Foster R. Rhines of Watertown; William Shannon and wife of Carthage; Albert P. Haller, wife and daughters, Louine and Myrtle, of Brownville.

Mrs. Williams’ maiden name was Caroline Rhines. She was born in 1833 at Lafargeville, and lived the early part of life there. In 1851 she was married to Willard Williams, who died Feb. 21, 1888. Five children were born to them, three of whom survive: A. D. and A. J. Williams, of Plessis; and Mrs. Albert Haller of Brownville; Mrs. Gilbert Shannon and Mrs. Eugene Rowell.

She also leaves one brother, Foster P. Rhines, and a sister, Mrs. Almina Rhines Baxter, both of Watertown, besides six grandchildren and five great grandchildren.

“Grandma” Williams, as she was lovingly called, had lived an exceedingly busy, useful life, always residing on the farm until about twelve years ago, when, with her son, Abner, she moved to this village, where she has since made her home. She had been in ill health and suffered greatly for several years.




Plessis, Sept. 1. --The 30th annual reunion of the Hunneyman family was held at Clear Lake on Aug. 29. The rainy morning prevented some from coming from a distance, but the following members were present: Mr. and Mrs. A. D. Williams, Mr. and Mrs. F. E. Williams and children, Glenn, Arlena and Gladys; Mr. and Mrs. Clark Williams and children, Wayne, Gaylord and Raymond; Mr. and Mrs. William Marsh; Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Marsh and daughter, Lois; George Hunneyman, Guy and Harold Hunneyman. Mr. and Mrs. Charles Hunneyman and son, Merril; Mr. and Mrs. Mert Reed, Mr. and Mrs. Smith Rowell, Mr. and Mrs. Harry Rowell, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Reynolds and son, Virgil; Mrs. Clara Van Dressar, Mrs. Laura Simpson.

Dinner was served and for amusement prizes were given and won as follows: Family coming the longest distance, Mr. and Mrs. S. Rowell, Carthage; oldest couple present, Mr. and Mrs. A. D. Williams; youngest member present, Raymond Williams; heaviest person, Emma Rowell; tallest man, Harold Hunneyman; shortest man, George Hunneyman; tallest woman, Lulu Williams; shortest woman, Nettie Reynolds; most recently married, Mr. and Mrs. M. W. Reed; longest married, Mr. and Mrs. A. D. Williams; potato race for children, Arlina Williams, fist; Virgil Reynolds, second; tug of war for men, the side led by Charles Reynolds; running race, Harold Hunneyman.

The following officers were elected for 1918; Smith Rowell, president; Merton Reed, secretary; committee for next annual reunion; Clark Williams, Clarence Marsh, Harold Hunneyman.


Auto Trip to Kasoag.

First annual reunion of the Rowell family

Plessis, Sept. 1. -- Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Rowell and son, Earle; Mr. and Mrs. Frank Rowell and children, Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Rowell and Mr. and Mrs. Cushman Sprague, recently attended the first annual reunion of the Rowell family at Kasoag, Oswego county, making the 70-mile trip and return by automobile, in one day, and reporting a most enjoyable time.


Plessis Locals.

Plessis, Sept. 1. --Mr. and Mrs. A. W. Beckwith, recently entertained Mr. and Mrs. George Reese, and Mr. and Mrs. McNitt and child, of Norwich, Chenango county. The party enjoyed several days’ fishing at the lakes and a trip to Clayton via Alexandria Bay.
-- Thirty-five dollars were realized as the proceeds from the chicken pie supper held in the Grange hall Saturday evening for the benefit of the fire company. Miss Moore of Lincoln, Neb., was present and gave a talk on woman suffrage. She was accompanied by Miss Inbrow of Watertown.
--Mrs. Arseline Wilson is visiting at F. E. Rowell’s, Theresa.
--Miss Gladys McGee of Potsdam is the guest of her grandmother, Mrs. Rosina Norton, and other friends.
--Mr. and Mrs. James Lawton of Stone Mills spent Sunday here.
--Mr. and Mrs. Earle Augsbury and daughter of New York, are spending a few days at G. W. Augsbury’s.
--Miss Gertrude Snell, a teacher in Live Oak Mission school, Baton Rouge, La., is the guest of her mother, Mrs. Maria Snell, for a few weeks.
--Mrs. Florence Breslin and daughters of Ilion, are visiting Mr. D. Bauter and family.
--Mrs. Charles Hosmer and daughter, of Watertown, spent the week-end with Mrs. Mary Hardy. Sheriff C. C. Hosmer has also been in town on business several times recently.
--Mrs. Belle Ostrander has returned from a visit with friends in Watertown, and is entertaining Mrs. Mary Hosmer of Philadelphia.
--Mr. and Mrs. C. R. Eggleston, and daughter, of Watertown, spent Sunday with John Schultz.
--Vivian Petrie has returned from Clinton, where she attended Hamilton college summer school, and Ethel Jones, of Evans Mills, was a recent guest at the Petrie home.



Was Commissioned Second Lieutenant in First Training Camp at Madison Barracks
Taught at Lowville Academy Three Years.



Lowville, Nov. 22. --Word was received here this morning of the sudden death in Great Bend, Pa., Monday of Fred King, aged about 30, for three years just prior to the entrance of the United States into the World war as teacher of agriculture in the Lowville Academy. Details as to how Mr. King met his death are lacking, but it is believed that he was struck by a train in the railroad that runs across the farm owned jointly by him and two brothers, Leon and Roy.

Mr. King entered the first officers training camp held at Madison Barracks at Sackets Harbor, in 1917, and was commissioned a second lieutenant. From Madison Barracks he was detailed to Camp Merritt, Maryland, where he was made a first lieutenant and was assigned to the staff of Major General Shanks.

While on General Shanks’ staff, he was transferred to Camp Kearney, Calif., remaining there until the signing of the armistice. After the armistice he accompanied four generals on a trip to Europe in the work of reconstruction, and upon his return to this country was discharged from the service, at that time visiting friends in northern New York for some weeks. (Note in pencil: “In 1909 class”)

He then returned to Ilion, his former home. He was married to Miss Mary Fields of New York city in March of this year. Mr. King was born in Redfield, South Dakota, in Sept. 1891, and at the age of four years was brought to Ilion by his father, making his home there since that time. He was a graduate of the public schools of Ilion and of the school of agriculture at Cornell university, coming directly to Lowville from the university.

He is survived by his widow, his father, William, and four brothers, Leon and Roy of Great Bend, Pa., and Frank of Herkimer and Albert of Ilion. For the past few months his father has been living with the three brothers at Great Bend, Pa.

A brief service will be held at the home in Great Bend Wednesday, after which the body will be taken to Ilion for funeral Thursday. Mr. King was a member of the Lowville Lodge, No. 134, F. and A. M., and attended the Presbyterian church during his residence here. He was popular, and the news of his untimely death comes as a distinct shock to this community.



Lowville, Dec. 5. --Particulars of the death of Fred King, former teacher here, who was killed Nov. 22 in Great Bend, Pa., when struck by a train, have been received in this village. Mr. King started out from his farm home, across which is a railroad, on his way to an adjoining farm. Crossing a small bridge, he did not hear a train approaching behind him, on account of the roaring of the waters of the swollen creek.

Just as he reached to the end of the culvert, he slipped and fell; and saw the train upon him, but did not have time to save himself. He was struck a glancing blow, and hurled to one side. Several bones in his body were broken but there was no mutilation. An attending physician said that death was caused instantly by a blow on the back of the head.

The train, before coming to the bridge, takes a sharp turn, and this obscured the vision of Mr. King.


Plessis Personals


Plessis, Jan. 10. --Miss Amy Frost, who has spent about six weeks in Watertown City hospital following an operation on her foot, as the result of stepping on a nail and injuring the bones of her toes, is expected home the latter part of this week.
--Mrs. C. J. Makepeace and Mrs. Kate Brucker attended the Maier and Pattison concert at the Avon, Watertown, Thursday evening.
--Rev. Fran Brown of Richville will assist Rev. Ernest Bragg at special church services.
--Commencing Jan. 23, Ralph Malor recently arrived here from Kansas City, Mo., to join his wife and daughter, Kathleen, who preceded him some time ago.
--Mrs. Charles Hardy, who fell some weeks ago, breaking one bone of the ankle has recovered so far as to be able to walk with the help of a cane.
--Miss Lotta Hough, who has been seriously ill for more than two months, was taken Saturday to Watertown City hospital, where she ill undergo an operation for appendicitis and removal of diseased tonsils.
--Mr. and Mrs. Charles George have moved from their Theresa farm into the home here which they recently purchased from Horace Stevens.
--Clark Williams has moved from the A. D. Williams farm to the Barnes farm recently purchased by him.
--Mrs. Horace Caswell was the guest of friends in Watertown Wednesday and Thursday.


Deer River Woman Passes Away, Aged 56 Years.



Carthage, Feb. 25. --Mrs. Myra D. Proper, widow of the late Horace Proper, died Friday night at Deer River at the home of her son, Roy H. Proper. She was 56 years, one month and three days of age.

Mrs. Proper was born in Plessis, daughter of Orin and Priscilla Barnes, and she was nearly a life-long resident of Omar. Surviving, besides her son, are two daughters, Mrs. James Butler, of Syracuse, and Mrs. S. D. Van Alstyne, of Hannibal.

The body will be taken Sunday morning to Omar where the funeral will be held in the afternoon at 1, from the Methodist Episcopal church, Rev. William Eddy of Lafargeville officiating. Interment will be made in Omar.



A unique will made its appearance in surrogate’s court today, when petition was made for the probate of the last will and testament of Mrs. Myra Proper, of the town of Orleans, who died Feb. 23. The petition states that the estate consists of about $3,750, of which about $600 is real estate.

The will was apparently written on her deathbed, having been scribbled in pencil on a page of writing paper ten days before her death. While it does not undertake to name an executor or to dispose of her real estate, it does dispose of her personal property and being witnessed by Frank. E. Van Alstyne and Persis Proper, is declared to be a valid instrument as far as it goes. It will have to be treated, however, as though the testatrix died intestate. In text it is as follows;

“Feb. 13, 1922.

“This is to say that I give my son power of attorney to settle my estate.

“This is what I want done. I want my two daughters, Lulu and Mayme, to have my clothes and what jewelry I have. The household goods to be divided equally between the tree (sic) children, just as equally as they can be. All money to be equally divided.

“Myra Proper.


“Frank E. Van Alstyne
“Persis Proper.”

Mrs. Proper is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Mayme E. Van Alstyne of Hannibal and Mrs. Lulu Butler of Syracuse and one son, Roy H. Proper of Deer River.


(about 1917)

The following is the announcement of Attorney Porter:

“To the Republican Electors of Jefferson County, N. Y.:

“I am a candidate for the office of surrogate of Jefferson county, and will seek the nomination as the Republican candidate for that office in the primary election to be held in September of this year.

“Ever since my admission to practice in 1908 I have been retained as attorney for executor and administrators in the administering of numerous estates, and for several years I have devoted a large part of my time to practice in surrogate’s court, and to studying the administration of estates. I have always endeavored to fit myself to discharge the duties of this office, and with this purpose in mind I became a candidate for the office of special surrogate of Jefferson county in 1924. My election to the office followed, and in 1927 I was reelected to such office.

“I believe that my years of practice in this court and my experience as special surrogate have now equipped me to discharge the duties of surrogate of Jefferson county. I consider that it would be a great honor to be chosen to succeed Hon. Joseph Atwell, our present surrogate. If the voters honor me by electing me to this office of responsibility and trust, I pledge them that I will at all times render to them the best service within my power, striving always to discharge the duties of the office in the same efficient manner that such duties have been discharged by the very able men theretofore chosen for the office, and will devote all of my time thereto.

“I respectfully ask the support of the Republican electors of Jefferson county in my campaign for nomination for this important office.

“I was born in South Dakota in 1981, but have lived in Jefferson county since I was twelve years old, my parents being natives of Jefferson county.” said Attorney Porter. “I am a grand-nephew of the late Wilbur F. Porter of Watertown, N. Y. I began teaching school when 18 years of age, and after teaching four years in the towns of Alexandria and Antwerp began the study of law in the office of my uncle, Wilbur A. Porter, of Carthage, N. Y., completed my studies and was graduated from the Albany Law school in 1908. I began the practice of my profession in Theresa in January, 1909, and have practiced here continuously since that time.

“I have served as attorney and as clerk of the village of Theresa, N. Y., for 18 years. I was elected to and held the office of clerk of the town of Theresa from Jan. 1, 1912, to Jan. 1, 1918, when I was elected to the office of supervisor, which office I held for eight consecutive years, until Jan. 1, 1926.

“For several years I have served as a director and as a member of the finance committee of the Farmers’ National bank of Theresa.

“I have been a member of the Republican county committee for several years.”




Theresa, Aug. 19. -- The marriage of Miss Doris Neuroth, oldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Neuroth of the northern part of the town, to Floyd Thomas King, son of Mr. and Mrs. George King of the Calaboga Road in Hammond, took place at 10 Saturday at the Neuroth home. The wedding ceremony was performed by Rev. C. E. Hastings of the Methodist Episcopal church in this village. They were attended by Edgar King, brother of the bridegroom, and Ruth Neuroth, sister of the bride.

Following the wedding a luncheon was served and the young couple departed for a short wedding trip to the western part of the state.

Mrs. King is a graduate of the Theresa High school and Antwerp training class and has been a successful teacher in the schools here. She is now at school in the Potsdam normal. She is active in church work and plays in the Methodist orchestra here.


(headline missing)

-Rev. Ernest Bragg

Rev. Ernest Bragg Has Held Charge For Five Years,
During Which Time Membership Has Been Increased
Materially--Repairs Made to Property.

(Special to The Times.)

Redwood, Oct. 26. --Rev. Ernest Bragg, of this village, on Oct. 14 last celebrated the tenth anniversary of his entry into the Methodist Episcopal ministry. A short time previous to that date he observed his fifth anniversary as pastor of the Redwood church.

The fifth anniversary of Rev. Mr. Bragg’s coming to Redwood is marked by the re-decoration during the past summer of the church, both inside and out, and the addition of new fixtures, at a cost of approximately $200. This work recently was completed and the church now compares in appearance favorably with churches in much larger communities having much greater membership.

The Redwood church has showed a remarkable growth during the past few years and especially so during Rev. Bragg’s pastorate. In 1920, at the time the present pastor came to Redwood, the church had a mere handful of members. Through conscientious work and labor the membership has been boosted to 82 in the five-year period. Seventy of these members are new ones and have been received into the church by baptism.

The church was built in 1890. The work was done under the supervision of Rev. C. Phelps. Rev. Phelps then was pastor of the church, which, besides Redwood, included Plessis. He made his residence in the latter village as the Redwood church then was the out-appointment for Plessis.

The following pastors have served since its erection:

1888-1891 Rev. C. Phelps.
1891-1892 Rev. J. M. McCallum.
1892-1893 Rev. L. B. Grant.
1893-1894 Rev. Wm. Thomas.
1894-1897 Rev. V. E. Brown.
1897-1901 Rev. J. W. Higby.
1902-1904 Rev. John Bragg (father of present pastor)
1904-1906 Rev. S. E. Snowden.
1906-1907 Rev. C. V. Haven.
1907-1911 Rev. N. A. Darling.
1911-1917 Rev. W. P. Garrett.
1917-1920 Rev. A. S. Haven
1920- Rev. Ernest Bragg.

Rev. Bragg came to the charge in 1920 when Plessis and Redwood constituted the charge. He lived in Plessis. At that time the Redwood church as at a low ebb. The pastor’s salary was in the neighborhood of $450 a year for the Redwood end. In three years’ time the whole charge developed to such an extent that the two churches were divided and became separate charges. Rev. Bragg took over the Redwood pastorate.

Today the Redwood church raises a budget of $2,000 per year and the entire program of financing it (sic) progressing with great success. The Sunday school is being developed under the grade lesson system and other educational acitivities are causing the whole church to prosper.

On Oct. 14 Rev. Bragg completed his tenth year in the ministry, following in the footsteps of his father, who had held the same pastorate before him. Rev. Bragg served charges in Bucks Bridge and West Stockholm before coming to the Plessis-Redwood charge.

Rev. Bragg is a man of more than usual ability and his remarkable farsightedness has resulted in great development within the church which he is serving. He is popular with his parishioners and any move towards removing him to another parish would be deeply regretted throughout the entire community where he is well known.

The church itself is in a fine state of preservation and is regarded as one of the prettiest in this vicinity. It stands on the main street of the village and is surrounded by a spacious lawn, the grading of which was undertaken late this fall. This work will be completed in the spring and other repairs will be made to the grounds which will add to the attractiveness of the property.

Note: Photos of Rev. Ernest Bragg and the Redwood M. E. Church appeared on the page.




Plessis, July 9. --The annual reunion of the Hunneyman family was held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Rowell on Wellesley Island, June 29. The party gathered at Point Vivian in the early forenoon and were ferried across the river. A sumptuous dinner was served on the tables under the large trees on the lawn.

After dinner a business meeting was called by President Harry Rowell and the following officers elected for the ensuing year: President, DeForrest Williams, vice president, Charles Hunneyman, secretary, Mrs. Lulu Williams, treasurer, Clark Williams. The business committee, which will select the places for next year’s reunion includes Mr. and Mrs. Harold Simpson, Mr. and Mrs. Harold Hunneyman, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Reynolds. A fine social time with visiting and games filled a pleasant afternoon.

The following members were present: Mrs. Elida Williams, Mr. and Mrs. F. E. Williams and daughter Gladys, Mr. and Mrs. Clark Williams and sons, Wayne and Raymond, Mr. and Mrs. Glenn Williams of Plessis, Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Marsh and daughters, Lois and Leda, Mr. and Mrs. W. Marsh, Violet, Katherine, Roger and Earle Hunneyman of Lafargeville, Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Rowell and daughters, Virginia and Rena and son, Truman, of Rochester, Smith Rowell of Carthage, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Hunneyman and son, Merville and Margaret Beebe of Redwood; Mr. and Mrs. Harry Rowell and daughters, Doris and Phyllis of Wellesley Island.



Plessis, July 9. --The funeral of the later Dr. Elton Bauter was largely attended at the home and from the Methodist Episcopal church, Wednesday afternoon and many people from out of town were present, as well as a large number of neighbors and hometown friends.

Rev. W. J. Hancock officiated and spoke of the helpful spirit Mr. Bauter had always manifested. Mrs. C. Haas and Mrs. William Hardy sang “Beulah Land” and “God be with You.” Mrs. C. J. Makepeace presided at the piano.

The bearers were Nelson Walts of Orleans, Frank Dickout of Redwood, Algy Reynolds of Plessis, William Walts of Lafargeville, Charles Banter (sic) of Fisher’s Landing and Clark Sargent of Omar.

Among those from out of town were Mrs. Florence Brislin of Illion, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Walts of Watertown, William Avery and Henry Leonhardt of Alexandria Bay, Mrs. Abbie Walts, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Hoyt, Mrs. Fern Garner, Lafargeville.


(June 1929)

--Mrs. Clark A. Williams, Miss Ferne House and Gaylord Williams, of Alexandria Bay, who have been guests of Mrs. William’s sister, Mrs. A. S. Breslin, upper Main street, returned to their home this afternoon.

--Delta Gamma Delta will hold its last meeting for the summer at the home of Miss Edith Genge, 118 North Lake street, Monday evening.

--Mrs. A. S. Breslin, upper Main street, is spending the week-end with her sister, Mrs. Clark A. Williams, in the North Country.



Evans Mills 140
Grindstone 14
Rodman 67
Rosiere 68
Plessis 59
Pamelia Grange 59
South Rutland 212

Evans Mills and Grindstone of the Community Baseball League will play a series of three championship games, it was announced here today. The series is scheduled to start Sunday at 2 p.m. at Evans Mills. The winner of two of the series games will be declared the league champion.

Evans Mills heads the list with a clean slate. The team has not been defeated this year and its record stands at 14 victories.


Return to Jefferson County NYGenWeb page

Return to Jefferson County Tidbits

Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project

If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.

Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page