We are indebted to Leon Hunter for allowing us to copy his mother's scrapbook, and particularly, once again, to Shirley Farone for retyping all this. Shirley does most of the formatting, also, leaving us with an easy upload. Thanks, Shirley and Leon! The original scrapbook is now in the Northern New York Agricultural Museum, of which Leon is a trustee. Marguerite Raineri, the director, has made the scrapbooks available to us.
Part: 1, Part: 2, Part: 3, Part: 4, Part: 5, Part: 6, Part: 7, Part: 8
OLD HOME DAY AT OXBOW HELD (1935)
Theresa, July 2. --The old stone church of Oxbow, built by the Scotch Presbyterian people 97 years ago fronting the village green, was well filled on Sunday in observance of its Old Home day. The services were followed by a fellowship dinner on the village green and this permitted the company to renew friendships of other days. There were no afternoon services and the morning service was well filled with musical numbers. The Theresa Male quartet rendered a number of selections and the young people of Oxbow had a large choir for special numbers. The minister, Rev. J. C. Stoddard, spoke.
While the church was built in 1838, the society itself was organized in 1820 by a band of sturdy Scotch people. The exact date was May 15, 1820 and those forming the society were Abraham Cooper, Reuben Streeter, James Ormiston, Abraham Lewis, James Douglas, Abner Benton, Orren Matthews and Percival Hawley, elected from the pioneer group as church trustees. The society took the name of Oxbow Presbyterian society of Antwerp and Rossie. That same summer the church society was increased by a band of people who had just located in America, coming from the southern part of Scotland and locating in Rossie township. They faithfully drove the miles into Oxbow each Sunday from their farms to attend the worship.
During the first 18 years of the society the members worshipped in the brick school house, erected by Abraham Cooper for both a school and a church. In the summer of 1838 the stone church was erected at a cost of $2,500. The church was soon found too small for the congregation and later an addition of 25 feet was added. The first floor was often crowded and the large gallery filled in those days. The first minister was Rev. James Sanford of Massachusetts. Rev. James Williamson served ten years as pastor some years after the church was organized and another minister often spoken of was Rev. J. S. Cowper who came from Scotland. In May, 1837, there was a reorganization of the church when Andrew Culbertson, James Dickson, Robert Darling, John Barrow, William Flemming and William Turnbull were trustees.
EXPIRES IN COLTON AFTER YEAR’S ILLNESS
WAS DISTRICT SCHOOL HEAD
He Was Formerly President of the
Colton Board of Education --
Funeral to Be Thursday Afternoon. (1935)
Potsdam, Aug. 6. -- William S. Herrick, 69, former president of the board of education at Colton and district superintendent of schools in St. Lawrence county, died Monday at his home in Colton following an illness of a year. He had been working until July.
Mr. Herrick was the son of George and Sarah Wells Herrick, born in Three Mile Bay on September 27, 1865. He attended the state normal school at Potsdam and was graduated in 1892. Thirty-five years ago he moved to Colton where he had since resided. He was in the insurance business there. He resigned his post as head of the Colton board of education last year.
Besides his wife he leaves one son, Roy, who is employed by St. Lawrence utilities at Brown’s Bridges. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and the Colton Masonic lodge.
The funeral will be held Thursday at 2 p.m. from the home at Colton. Burial will be made in the Pleasant Mound cemetery at Colton.
(heading missing) (1935)
Quiet Wedding Performed at
Carthage Home--Will Live in Plattsburgh
Carthage, July 1. --Miss Jeannette M. Shannon, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William W. Shannon of 39 North Main street became the bride of Dr. Selah L. James of Plattsburgh, in a quiet wedding ceremony performed at 3 Saturday afternoon at the home of the bride’s parents. Rev.
Paul Reynolds, pastor of the United Presbyterian church of North Argyle, and a brother-in-law of the bridegroom conducted the service.
Miss Elda Patterson of Syracuse attended the bride as maid of honor, and George F. James of Plattsburgh, brother of the bridegroom, attended him as best man. The ceremony was performed in the parlor of the home, beneath a trellis of ferns and roses representing a garden scene.
The bride was attired in a two-piece ensemble of powder blue crepe, with gray accessories. She wore a corsage of white roses. Miss Patterson wore a gown of greene (sic) crepe, with harmonizing accessories, and a storage of talisman roses.
Immediately following the ceremony, the bridal party and guests drove to the St. Regis Inn at Deferiet, where a wedding dinner was served. Seated at the table with the newly married couple were Mr. and Mrs. William O. Honsinger, Mr. and Mrs. George F. James, and Mrs. R. L. P. Mason, all of Plattsburgh; Rev. and Mrs. Paul L. Reynolds of North Argyle; Miss Elda Patterson of Syracuse; Rev. and Mrs. Lyman L. Achenbach, Mrs. Mary A. Bolton and Mr. and Mrs. William W. Shannon of Carthage. Following the meal, Dr. and Mrs. James left on a short wedding trip, after which they will make their home in Plattsburgh.
Mrs. James is a graduate of the West Carthage High school, and of the Rochester Business Institute. For the past nine years she has been employed in the local office of the National Paper Products company.
Dr. James is a graduate of the Port Henry High school and of the Palmer school of Chiropractic at Davenport, Ia.
OLD HOME DAY HELD BY CHURCH (1935)
THREE SERVICES HELD DURING SUNDAY
AT THE PLESSIS M. E. CHURCH
Old-Fashioned Methodist Love
Feast Is Held at the Evening
Session--Rev. E. C. Love and
Rev. Charles Bollinger Speak.
Plessis, Sept. 9. --Old Home day events of the Plessis Methodist church this year were held within the church on Sunday.
In former years the church has given a parade, held a sport program and served dinners. This year the plan was changed. The first service was held at the regular hour of meeting on Sunday morning with Rev. Earnest C. Love, superintendent of the Black River district, the speaker. The church was comfortably filled and among the special music was a vocal solo by Donald Timmerman, Philadelphia, much enjoyed.
Dinner, served picnic style, was spread in the grange dining room and was attended by about 50 people who sought a social time in meeting former neighbors.
The afternoon service was at 2:30, the speaker being Rev. Charles Bollinger, pastor of the First Methodist church of Watertown. His subject was, “What is your life,” and was a plea for a community helpfulness and a giving of help, rather than a hoarding of wealth and self. The Theresa male quartet gave a selection and the choir of the Methodist church, Theresa, sang two special numbers, Mrs. Grace Bulson presided at the piano.
In the evening an old-fashioned Methodist love feast with Rev. N. A. Darling, pastor of the Methodist church at Antwerp, and a former pastor of Plessis, acting as leader, was held. In the afternoon service Rev. U. B. Grant of the Theresa Methodist church assisted in the service.
At the services the financial condition of the church was presented and a plea made for help from former residents. Several neighboring ministers attended the afternoon service. Reference was made during the day to the first church building of Plessis, known as the old Union church, erected in 1833, now standing and now the property in trust of the Methodist church, it having been deeded to the church a year ago by the Misses Bearups of Theresa, the owners.
Redwood, Sept. 3. --Mrs. Cora Marsaw and Howard Robinson were married Tuesday, Aug. 27, in a ceremony performed by Rev. Mr. Budd, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church of Heuvelton.
Mrs. Marsaw is the daughter of John Smith of this village of the late Jay Marsaw several years. Mr. Robinson is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Addison Robinson of Rossie and is employed by the Watson Oil Company. The couple will reside here.
FIRST FIELD DAY HELD BY FIREMAN (1935)
Plessis, Sept. 9. --The first annual field day of the newly organized Plessis fire department of 33 members with Frank Snyder as chief, was well attended.
The Plessis ball team defeated Depauville, the score being 15 to 2. Clark Williams and William Allen were the umpires. The dinner was served in the grange hall and over 300 attended the dinner, the firemen serving roast beef.
Rain at 9 at night prevented the block dance from being the success it otherwise would have been. It was largely attended, the music being furnished by the Depauville band. The street in front of the grange hall was given over to the dance and the merriment was in full swing when the rain came. No collection was taken at this evening event.
At the foot race for boys under 14 A. Hunter won first and R. Monroe second. In the girls’ race, same age and classification as the boys, Miss Arlene Hoger was first and Miss House second. In the men’s free for all Mr. Delaney was first and Mr. Bicknell second. The race for boys removing their shoes, running and again putting them on, was run by Richard Bretsch with Stanley Hutton second. The three-legged race was won by Helmer and Hutton, with Delaney and Suppernell (sic) second.
It was stated that the event would probably be made an annual affair. The income was around $200.
It was stated that on Monday evening the fire commissioners would meet to discuss the advisability of going ahead with the purchase of the old Plessis hotel.
Miss Madeline Emma House, 913 State street, became the bride of Ralph B. Brown, 830 Ann street, at a ceremony solemnized at noon today at the manse of Hope Presbyterian church, Rev. Cassius J. Sargent, minister of the church, officiating.
The couple was attended by Mr. and Mrs. Wilfred H. Boudiette, 508 Stone street. Mr. Brown and his bride left after the ceremony for Albany and Saratoga Springs and upon their return will reside at 913 State street.
Mrs. Brown is a daughter of Mrs. Avia Sweet House and the late Leo House. She is employed as a stenographer by Madison Cooper at Calcium, a position she had held for the past three and one-half years.
She was graduated from Watertown High school and was salutatorian of her class in June, 1932. Mr. Brown is operating engineer at the Northern Ice company and has been associated with the ice company for five years. He is a son of Alvin F. Brown and the late Mrs. Mildred Brown. He attended local schools.
Two Baptized 75 Years Ago Are at Anniversary
Women Attend 75th Anniversary of Church--Long Friends (1935)
(Separate photos of Mrs. Katherine Bickelhaupt and Mrs. Margaret Hofferberth were located on this page.)
Redwood, Sept. 12. --The St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran church of Redwood was dedicated Nov. 17, 1861, and it was an outstanding event in the lives of the faithful German pioneers of the village and surrounding country. As part of the dedication service two families each brought an infant to be baptized and Rev. Joseph Schmalzl (sic), pastor, assisted by Rev. Phillip Krug, pastor at Lafargeville, officiated at this baptism and praised the devotion of the two families in bringing their babies to be consecrated to Got and the church.
These two babies, both girls, grew up in the same village, became playmates through their early years and chums in their teens. And now, after almost 75 years, these two ladies continue their devotion to St. Paul’s, and remain the fastest of friends. When the 75th anniversary of the founding of the church was held recently, these two ladies, in excellent health, attended and were honored by the church society. They desired to make some memorial gift to the church and so the two presented St. Paul’s with a new lining to the baptismal font. They are Mrs. Margaret Hofferberth of Redwood and Mrs. Katherine Bickelphaupt of Albany.
When the Germans were coming to America in considerable numbers, quite a colony located in and about Redwood. The Bickelhaupt family was having hard times in Germany so the father decided to make the supreme effort of getting to America. They reached Watertown, unable to speak a word of English. They were directed to a family that might assist them for the night and to continue their journey. Joyously they started for the family, but in crossing the bridge over Black River, a small child in the party breathed his last in his father’s arms. They knocked at the door of their new sought friend sorrowing. When the Bickelhaupts reached Redwood the father found work on the Charles Cole farm in the Calaboga section. Leonard Bickelhaupt was a hard worker. He fell in love with a German girl, Susan Bates, not long in this country. They were married, and on Sept. 19, 1861, Margaret Bickelhaupt was born. She it was who was presented to the altar of the church for baptism. She was married on Jan. 31, 1884, to Adam Hofferberth. For a time they resided near Redwood, but later were successful farmers in Orleans. Still later they moved to Redwood. There Mr. Hofferberth died. There is one daughter, Mrs. Ina Schultz of Lafargeville. Mrs. Hofferberth has two brothers living, Adam Bickelhaupt, Theresa, and Leonard of Redwood. There are three sisters living, Mrs. Rosette Stine, Mrs. Libbie Haas and Mrs. Mary Smith, all of the Redwood section. She resides near the railroad station in Redwood, active and keen of mind.
Probably just previous to the coming of the Bickelhaupt family, there arrived in the Redwood section the Schad family who located as farm helpers in the Butterfield lake section. There we find at a later date Adam Schad marrying Margaret Burt and as by thrifty ways, they gained wealth and bought a fine farm on the Redwood-Plessis road, about a mile and a half out of Redwood. There on Aug. 13, 1861, Katherine was born. She was taken to the church for baptism at that dedication service. Her marriage took place in 1883, becoming the wife of George Bickelhaupt. They purchased a farm on the Redwood-Alexandria Bay road and there they lived 25 years. Mr. Bickelhaupt’s death took place some 24 years ago. As a young lady Katherine began singing in the church choir and continued with the choir as long as she resided in Redwood. She has a sister, Mrs. Mary Giltz of Brier Hill; a son, Milo Bickelhaupt, Vernon; two daughters, Mrs. Addie Carmon of Redwood and Mrs. F. G. Lyon, Albany. It is in Albany that Mrs. Bickelhaupt spends much of her time, residing with her daughter. She, too, is unusually active and interested in the events of the world.
When in Redwood she is with Mrs. Carmon, which is hardly a stone’s throw from the Hofferberth home and the two often meet and visit about the days of their childhood and youth, in which they have been so intimately connected. Rev. Richard F. Henderson is the present pastor of the church.
Redwood Lutheran Church 75 Years Old in August(1935)
St. Paul’s Church Founded by Thrifty German Settlers
-- Committee Plans Celebration -- Services First in
German Tongue But Now in English.
(A photo of St. Paul’s Lutheran Church in Redwood was placed on this page.)
Well toward a century ago the German speaking people in the Redwood section began holding religious services at private houses with often a missionary or traveling German minister coming to preach and administer the sacraments. As the number of German people increased--and many of the farms about Redwood were worked by this thrifty people--it became impossible to hold services only in the larger homes. This caused leaders to consider organizing a church society and building a Lutheran church.
Records show that the congregation was organized Nov. 25, 1860, and at that time the following officers for the society were elected: Elders, Andrew Quencer, Hyronimur Bickelhaupt; deacons, Philip Eckert, Nicholous Koch; trustees, John Hartman and John Wager. On April 1, 1861, it was decided to erect a house of worship. Land was purchased and soon thereafter building operations started. The church was completed and dedicated on Nov. 17. 1861. The dedication services were conducted by Rev. Mr. Schmalze, assisted by others of the Lutheran faith. It is stated that the constitution for the church organization was drafted by Rev. Joseph Schamil (sic).
It was the wish of the early members that all services of the church be in German, but as the years went by and the children began to speak the English tongue, it was decided to change the original plan. On Jan. 2, 1893, it was decided to have one service in English each month. The plan continued with satisfaction until in January, 1908, it was decided to hold the services equally in both German and English. Some few years later, after the death of the older members of the congregation, it was decided to hold all services in English. It is stated that when the pioneer Germans built the church they were emphatic in the agreement that “as long as grass grows green, the German language must be spoken at all services in the church.”
The committees selected to supervise the anniversary services are: Louis Getman, representing the Sunday school; Mrs. Louis Getman, representing the Dorcas society; John V. Spies of the church council; Cora Wakner of the older young people’s society; and Leonard Felder of the Lutheran League.
The church council today is composed of the following officers: Louis Getman, Henry Leonhardt, John V. Spies, Howard Handschuh and Henry Hartman, with Rev. Richard Henderson as the pastor.
W. H. Kelsey Elected New Head of Jefferson County Pomona Grange
WATERTOWN. -- W. H. Kelsey, Theresa, was elected master of Jefferson county Pomona grange late Wednesday afternoon at the annual meeting here. He succeeds Ernest J. Stalder of Pamelia.
Other officers elected were: W. D. Bennett, Philadelphia, overseer; Marion Johnson, Calcium, lecturer; S. W. Hayden, Mannsville, steward; Rev. M. L. Hutchinson, Belleville, chaplain; E. O. Andrus, South Rutland, treasurer; Mrs. Elizabeth Parker, Watertown, secretary; Emery Fultz, Pamelia, gatekeeper; Mary Milligan, Cape Vincent, Ceres; Mrs. Wilfred Kelsey, Theresa, Pomona; Mrs. Leon Selter, Three Mile Bay, Flora; Mrs. Milford Collins, Point Peninsula, lady assistant steward.
Grover Russell of Thousand Island Park grange was elected a member of the executive committee.
Mrs. Parker was elected for the 42nd term as secretary, a record in the state organization.
Delegates to the state grange session at Oneonta, December 10-14, were chosen as follows: Kelsey, Theresa; Mrs. Leila Schneider, Plessis; Carl Haas, Depauville; Mrs. Fred Lingenfelter, Pamelia; Leon M. Bartlett, Adams; Mrs. Nelson Baskey, Cape Vincent; Grant Damon, South Rutland; Mrs. Charles C. Tillotson, Champion; Percy O. Hardman, Hounsfield.
Mrs. Milton Haas, Chaumont; H. Clay Blanchard, Clayton; Mrs. Paul Jones, Watertown; Donald Cool, Philadelphia; Mrs. Miles Hutchinson, Belleville; Merton Walts, La Fargeville; Mrs. William Perkins, Natural Bridge; F. C. Squires, Great Bend, and Mrs. Murrary Edmonds, Adams Center.
County Deputy George Merrill declined another term and it was voted to recommend E. J. Stalder as his successor, the appointment to be made later by the state grange master.
DEATH WAS CAUSED BY TOXIC POISONING
WELL KNOWN PLESSIS FARMER
Funeral to be Held Monday at
2 P.M. at the Home With interment in
Brookside Cemetery at Plessis.
Plessis, Sept. 14. -- Fred P. George, 62, one of this vicinity’s prominent men, died Friday night at his home here after a month’s illness. Death was caused from toxic poisoning after an illness from jaundice.
Mr. George was born at Gananoque, Ont., April 6, 1874, a son of Sanford and Melvina George. When a youth he came to this vicinity with his parents and spent the remainder of his life in this section. He attended the public schools of the vicinity of Plessis.
Mr. George was a farmer by occupation and lived for years on the George farm which was situated between Plessis and Theresa. He married Miss Lillian Sykes of Plessis, on April 7, 1898. Two daughters were born to the couple, Mrs. Earl Bretsch of Plessis and Mrs. Gilson Clyde of Theresa.
More than 20 years ago Mr. George left the homestead and removed to the Beckwith place on the Plessis-Alexandria Bay road. Later he moved to the Sykes place above the village of Plessis where he resided until his death.
For many years Mr. George was a patrolman of the state road. He was widely known throughout this vicinity.
He was a member of the Masonic lodge, No. 297, Alexandria Bay and of the Plessis grange. He was a communicant of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Surviving are his wife, two daughters, Mrs. Earl Bretsch of Plessis and Mrs. Gilson Clyde of Theresa; five grandchildren, Richard, Ethel and Shirley Bretsch and Joyce and Roger Clyde.
Funeral services will be held Monday at 2 p.m. from the home, Rev. M. A. Darling, pastor of the Antwerp Methodist Episcopal church, assisted by Rev. Allan Moore, pastor of the Plessis Methodist Episcopal church, officiating. Interment will be made in Brookside cemetery at Plessis. Masonic services will be held at the grave.
Bearers will be Lyman Foster, Charles Reynolds, Claude House and Gordon Snell of Plessis and William Bassette of Watertown and Fred Weaver of Antwerp.
Friends are requested to call at the house before Monday.
(no heading) (1935)
Plessis, Sept. 7. -- Plessis grange won first prize today with their float in the parade of the fireman’s field day, which the newly organized Plessis fire department sponsored.
The grange float was representative of the Spirit of the Grange and bore the motto, “Servants of Man.”
There was a large crowd, the streets being packed with cars. Leading the parade was Ronald Hunter, mounted on a large dapple gray horse, bearing a flag; Paul Hunter, dressed as a high ranking military officer, led the Depauville band. Redwood, Depauville and Plessis had their fire trucks in line.
The second prize went to a float representing “The Old Woman in the Shoe,” which had a huge shoe and eight little tots about. Mrs. Ruth Reynolds, was Mother Goose. The Plessis Home Bureau, with car (sic) gold and white basket woven, driven by Mrs. Milo Clark, won first for cars with the Plessis Ladies Aid, decorated car driven by Mrs. Lora Hunter, second. In the burlesque floats, the “Haymakers,” a small hay wagon drawn by tractor, decorated with grain and farm characters, and the Royal Neighbors, a huge hack rack, smoothing floored, drawn by a big farm team, took prizes. The neighbors were dancing to music and did their representation well. There was a special prize award for a novelty float, “Miss Browns Corners,” a boat with outboard motor on wire wheels and propelling itself.
There were some fine horseback riders, Cora Hotis, Eva Caswell, Jack Hunter being in one group of splendid horses. There were other finely decorated cars, one being driven by Mrs. Ronald Hunter and one by Miss Schneider. There were several burlesque floats. One had a boxing match going on with Charles Sears and Bill VanTassel as boxers. There were horses and buggies as well as bicycle riders, among them Mrs. Niles Rowell, Mrs. Keith Allen. There were marchers and Richard Bretsch with dog cart. Thurston Haggert and Floyd Burnham had a remarkable outfit in the parade.
The judges were Howard Scott, Alexandria Bay; Bert Halkins, Redwood, and Ernest G. Cook, Theresa.
F. P. GEORGE RITES HELD (1935)
Plessis, Sept. 24. -- Funeral services for Fred P. George, 61, held at his home near here Sept. 16, were largely attended. The house and lawn were filled.
Friends were present from Dexter, Syracuse, Verona, Watertown, Lowville, Copenhagen, Harrisville, Evans Mills, Theresa, Redwood, Clayton and Alexandria Bay.
A large delegation from the Masonic lodge at Alexandria Bay was present and conducted the service at the grave. James Campbell and William Bassette of the division of state highways, Watertown, and a large delegation of other highway men were also present.
Rev. N. A. Darling, Antwerp Methodist Episcopal church, a former pastor at Plessis, spoke from John 14.1, “Let not your heart be troubled.” Rev. Allen Moore of Plessis Methodist Episcopal church assisted in the service.
MISS HELEN M. PAINE RESIGNS (1935)
ST. LAWRENCE HOME BUREAU DEMONSTRATION AGENT
TO GO ON STATE COLLEGE STAFF
She Will Assume New Duties of
State Extension Staff at Cornell
University on Monday.
Canton, Sept. 14. -- Miss Helen M. Paine, who has been home demonstration agent of the St. Lawrence county home bureau since January, 1934, has resigned her position here to accept a position with the state extension staff of the New York state college of home economics, Cornell university.
She will assume her new duties on Monday. Miss Paine is being succeeded here by Miss Rachael Merritt of Sheridan who has been assistant county agent in the Jefferson county home bureau, Watertown, for the last four years. Miss Merritt is a graduate of Cornell university with the class of 1928.
Following her graduation she taught home making at Alexandria Bay High school for three years. She was then assistant county club agent in Jefferson county for a year before becoming assistant in the home bureau office there. Miss Merritt will begin her duties here on Monday.
Miss Paine is a graduate of the college of home economics, Cornell university, with the class of 1927. She has always been in extension work and for six years was home demonstration agent of Wyoming county.
Since coming here less than a year ago, she has increased the membership of the St. Lawrence county home bureau 103, four new units being added. The total membership of the county home bureau is now 607 with 27 groups.
Plessis, Nov. 5. -- Wayne and Raymond Williams and Roy Hunter of Plessis arrived Saturday in California, making the trip in about two weeks in an old model T car. The boys camped in a small tent along the way, doing their own cooking and enjoying the different scenery. The trip was made through Erie, Springfield, Cleveland into Texas, then up into Oklahoma and California.
--Mr. and Mrs. Howard Priestly and children Jimmy and Freddie spent Sunday with Mrs. Priestly’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Roland Halloway of Collins Landing.
--Arthur Rowell who has been a patient at the House of the Good Samaritan for the past eight weeks recovering from a fractured hip arrived home yesterday.
Theresa, Dec. 30 -- Byron Hosmer 75, a well known farmer in the Plessis area, died suddenly at his home, located on the Plessis-Theresa state highway on Saturday evening.
He had been in unusually good health and of a robust constitution but Friday evening he was stricken with a stroke and never rallied.
He was born in the town of Alexandria on November 16, 1860, his parents being Arnold and Louise Schell Hosmer. He resided in that section and married Jessie Simonds when he began farming and was for some years a farmer in the English Settlement section of this town. Later he purchased a farm in the town of Antwerp on what is known as the Quaker road. Some years later he sold this farm and purchased a farm about a mile out of Plessis, towards Theresa. In reality there are two farms there, the dwellings being opposite from each other on the state highway.
Mrs. Hosmer died in 1930 and since that time Mr. Hosmer's son and daughter, Cleveland and Maude, have looked after the home farms as they did for a time previous when their mother was in failing health.
Mr. Hosmer is survived by three sisters and one brother. They are Mrs. Cynthia O'Brien of this village; Mrs. Emma Timmerman of Watertown; Mrs. Ida Honeyman (sic) of Sherrill and Mrs. Victor Fults of Theresa. The brother, William, resides in Redwood. There are three children surviving, Mrs. Helen Neuroth of the Redwood road and Maude and Cleveland of the home place.
The funeral was held this afternoon from the home of Mrs. Helen Neuroth, with Rev. U. B. Grant of the Methodist church in this village, officiating. Burial was made in Oakwood cemetery.
*HOSMER is one of the variations of the name seen as HOSNER and HASNER - a family who came to Plessis about 1819.
CHEESEMAKER AT THERESA ONLY 21
Theresa, Jan. 6. --One of the youngest cheesemakers to have charge of a factory in this section is Stanley Cromwell, who has just completed a successful year as a cheesemaker in the Robinson, or English Settlement factory.
Mr. Cromwell has been making cheese for two or three years and had charge of a factory on the Redwood-Hammond state highway for a season. He is now only 21. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. James Cromwell, who now reside on the Bogart farm in Alexandria. They are natives of Canada, coming from near Brockville to this section some 15 years ago.
“I hardly expected to be a cheese-maker,” said young Cromwell, as he told how he started in the work, “But was asked if I could help out with the work in a factory near Redwood and it looked like a good opportunity to make a little extra cash so I went to work. The third day after I went to work I found I was alone and started in as best I could. As the boss did not show up, I kept right on and got through the day, only to learn that my foreman had left. I was asked if I thought I could get along for another day, and said I guess I could and I did. I have been getting along alone ever since.
“But it would not be correct to say I learned the trade in two days, for I did not. When my father was operating a farm on the Creek road, near Plessis, there was a limburger factory near and I used to go evenings to watch the man make the cheese. You know they make limburger cheese twice a day. Well, I would take hold and help clean up from the work and soon was permitted to help with the cheese making. There was where I actually learned how the cheese was made and I have done my best to keep on improving all this time. I think there is a good future for good cheesemakers for they grow fewer and fewer in number, young men not seeking to learn. But, you see I learned when I was a mere boy and am glad now I did.”
F. S. MAKEPEACE ESTATE $19,499
Frank S. Makepeace, Plessis, who died March 28, 1936, had an estate appraised by County Treasurer Oren S. Pickard at $19,499.15 gross and $17,795.98 net. The gross consists of $18,157.15 bank deposits, $650 realty, $420 stocks and $272 miscellaneous.
Deductions of $1,703.17 consists of $1,364.42 funeral and administration, $138.75 debts and $200 charitable bequests.
The net estate is divided $4,358 to Lydia J. Aikens, Alexandria Bay, sister; $4,522.99 to Harvey C. Makepeace, nephew, Plessis; $4,109.99 to Claude J. Makepeace, Plessis, brother; $1,000 each to H. M. Pickart, Paul Makepeace and Marion Makepeace; $200 each to Frank Aikens, Bella O’Neil and Ethel Makepeace, and $100 each to Agnes Burns, and Marguerite (incomplete)
Miss E. Ferne Getman of Lafargeville, a teacher at Sackets Harbor and formerly an instructor at the Massena schools, became the bride of Elroy Dewey Holloway of Lafargeville at a ceremony solemnized Wednesday afternoon at 2:30 at the parsonage of the First Methodist Episcopal church. Rev. Maynard P. Beach, pastor of the church, officiated.
The couple was unattended. Mr. Holloway and his bride will make their home at Lafargeville. Miss Muriel Beach, younger daughter of Rev. Mr. and Mrs. Beach, was one of the bride’s students while the Beach family resided at Massena.
Mrs. Holloway was born at Lafargeville, a daughter of Joseph and Dora Bretsch Getman.
Mr. Holloway is a native of Clayton, a son of Elroy and Jennie Sheley Holloway. He is a sailor on the Great Lakes.
Theresa, March 10. -- A telegram was received here Monday afternoon by James Mahanna, whose home is at the Getman House, announcing the death of Timothy Mahanna, his brother, at Redwood, Calif., on Sunday night.
Mr. Mahanna died in the Redwood hospital of a general breakdown, due to his advanced age. He would have been 86 years old in July.
Timothy Mahanna was born at what is known as Molly Creek road, Alexandria-Orleans section on July 19, 1850. His parents were William and Ella Mahanna, farmers at that place. He was one of eleven children. When he was 25, 60 years ago, he went to Colorado searching for gold and silver. Later he mined in California and still later in most of the western states.
He returned to the east some 15 years ago and renewed his acquaintance with the late Leonard Irvin (?), a forty-niner. His relatives desired him to remain here but he still had the call for the west. He traveled back and forth a number of times and was again in the east three years ago. Two years ago at about this time he decided to return to California, feeling the climate there was more favorable for him. At that time he was partially blind, but able to get about the streets.
He will be buried in California. He was a member of the Catholic church. He never married. He is survived by only one brother, James Mahanna, of this village, the last one left of a family of eleven children.
WELL KNOWN SPORTSMAN ILL FOR TWO
LAFARGEVILLE VETERINARIAN, 83
He Followed Father’s Vocation as
Veterinarian--Spent Entire Life
in Lafargeville Except Short
Time When He Conducted Amsterdam Store.
Lafargeville, March 11. -- Dr. Brayton W. Dickinson, 83, veterinary physician, passed away at his home here on Monday at 5:30 p.m. after being in gradually failing health for over two years.
Mr. Dickinson was born in this village in a house still standing, Nov. 11, 1852, the son of Rudolphus and Narcissa Finney Dickinson, and was one of a family of eleven children. He attended the local schools and had always resided in this section with the exception of a short time when he conducted a store in Amsterdam.
He followed his father’s vocation, that of a veterinary physician. For a while he operated a grocery store here, but his time was so taken up with his veterinary work that he gave up his business and devoted himself wholly to his profession, which he had followed for nearly 60 years. He covered three town in his work.
On April 13, 1882, he was united in marriage to Miss Alice Bergen. They would have observed the 54th anniversary soon. Two children were born, Hugh of this village and Mrs. Beatrice Webber of Cleveland, Ohio.
Mr. Dickinson was a member of what was known as the “Bear Club,” sportsmen who passed a week or two each fall deer-hunting, and every year for over 50 years Mr. Dickinson had made his trip to the woods, and two years ago was his last trip. Even at that time his health was such his comrades had to “make a chair” with their hands and carry him in. He usually brought home his deer.
Mr. Dickinson is survived by his widow, one son, Hugh, of this place; one daughter, Mrs. Beatrice Webber of Cleveland, O.; a grandson, Robert Webber, and twin sisters, Mrs. Kate A. Walker of Santa Anna, Cal., and Mrs. Carrie A. Hughes of Daytona Beach, Fla., and Lafargeville.
The funeral will be held from the Methodist Episcopal church, Thursday at 2 p.m., Rev. Clyde V. Sparling conducting the services. Burial will be in Grove cemetery.
(headline missing) (1936)
Utica, March 18. -- Clinton M. Jones, a teacher, individually and as partner with Roswell H. Herrick, doing business as Herrick & Jones, as the Alexandria Bay Transportation Line and Alexandria Bay-Watertown Motor Express, filed a voluntary petition in bankruptcy in federal court today.
Mr. Jones has liabilities of $34,078 and assets of $14,750, including real estate at 18 Crossman street and 3 Church street, Alexandria Bay, valued at $11,000. Creditors include the H. O. L. C., $4,700. First National Bank of Thousand Islands, $7,375, and Redwood National bank, $3,200, mostly secured.
Adelbert C. Jones of Redwood has a claim for $3,500 against Mr. Jones individually and $7,000 against Mr. Jones as a partner in the trucking business. Louis Dobbins, Redwood, claims $250.
The petition was filed through Attorneys H. B. & G. W. Donaldson, Watertown.
PLESSIS HOME BUREAU TO PRESENT PLAY ON MARCH 13
Plessis, March 11. -- The Plessis home bureau will present a three-act comedy, “Look Out, Lizzie,” in the Plessis grange hall, Friday evening, March 13.
Following is the cast: Harold Simpson, Mary Roeder, Mabel Moore, Lotta Hinman, Carl Roeder, Mildred Kring, Myron Putnam and Andy Stobie.
The public is cordially invited to attend.
JAUNDICE AND COMPLICATION FATAL TO
FORMER MERCHANT OF PLESSIS
Postmaster of Plessis For 35 Years
Retired Three Years Ago be-
cause of Ill Health.
Frank S. Makepeace, 70, well known former general store proprietor of Plessis and postmaster of that village for 35 years, died at 111 Central street, this city, where he boarded, at 1:45 this morning after an illness of ten days with jaundice and complications.
Mr. Makepeave had been in poor health for more than three years and had been a patient in Mercy hospital in 1933 but his last illness was of but short duration.
He was born in Plessis on June 1, 1865, a son of Solomon and Lucinda Forbes Makepeace.
As a young man he entered the general store business with his father in Plessis and was associated with him until the latter’s retirement in 1902. He and his brother, Claude J. Makepeace then formed a partnership and continued the business until 1933 when he was forced to retire because of ill health.
Mr. Makepeace was a stalwart Republican and for 35 years held the office of postmaster at Plessis, being one of the oldest fourth class postmasters of the state in terms of years of service when he resigned in 1933 because of his failing health.
Besides his brother, Claude J. Makepeace of Plessis, he is survived by one sister, Mrs. Lydia J. Akins of Alexandria Bay, and several nephews and nieces.
The funeral services will be held from the home of his brother, Claude J. Makepeace, in Plessis Tuesday at 2 p.m., Rev. W. H. Bradley of Burnham, N. Y. formerly pastor of the Plessis Methodist Episcopal church, officiating. Burial will be in Brookside cemetery at Plessis.
The bearers will be H. N. Norton, M. W. Reed, Frank Schneider, William Hardy, Ernest Snell and Ronald Hunter.
Redwood, April 14. -- Fred Hunneyman of Redwood and Mrs. Emma Evans of Utica were married Saturday at 5 p.m. in a ceremony performed by Rev. Paris E. Wells, pastor of the Presbyterian church of Oriskany. The couple was unattended.
A wedding supper was served at the home of Mrs. Stewart Fairchild of Oriskany. Covers were laid for 14.
Mr. and Mrs. Hunneyman will reside in Redwood.
Theresa, April 22. -- In a field of nine players, James Mahanna of this village, old time fiddler, won first place in the Old Fiddlers’ contest staged in the grange hall here on Monday evening under the auspices of the Theresa grange. The contest was divided into two classes, those who were over fifty and those under. In the end Mr. Mahanna won over the contestant in the younger class by two points.
The contestants in the class of over fifty years of age were: James Mahanna, Theresa; William Campbell, Philadelphia; George Liddy, Chaumont and Leman Sayles, Chaumont. In this contest Mr. Sayles won second place.
In the list of those under fifty years of age were Rowland Shaw, Evans Mills, who won first place; Elmere Joles, Antwerp, winning second place; also Roy Shaw of Evans Mills; E. Roger, Redwood; Mrs. Catherine Abbott of Alexandria Bay.
Between the playing of the two divisions the local grange presented a play in which Mrs. Lottie Young, Marjorie Newill, Ruth VanDuser and Charles Hewitt took part. At the close of the general contest Mr. Mahanna and Mr. Shaw played a tie-off with Mr. Mahanna winning by two points.
The judges were: Winfield Kelsey, Mrs. Nettie Kelsey of this village and Horace Shepherd of Chaumont. The contest was well attended and at a close a dance followed with the fiddlers furnishing the music.
DEXTER. -- Private prayer services will be held at the home at 3 o’clock Sunday afternoon, and funeral services at the First Presbyterian church here a half hour later, for Arthur Boynton Ball, 62, retired farmer, who died at his home Thursday morning. He had been ill 13 years.
Mr. Ball was born in the town of Watertown. He spent his life in that town and near Adams Center. In late years he operated a farm near Dexter, and for the past two years, had made his home here.
His widow, the former Miss Dora Fralick, of Worth; a son, Keith Ball, Watertown; a daughter, Mrs. Charles McLean, Dexter, a grandson and an aunt survive. Rev. John R. Campbell will officiate at the services assisted by Rev. Paul A. Roy. Burial will be in Dexter cemetery.
Alexandria Bay, April 14. -- Miss Helen E. Brown, daughter of Captain and Mrs. George W. Brown of this village, and Donald White, son of Mr. and Mrs. Floyd O. White of Redwood, were quietly married at 8:15 this morning at Black River.
The ceremony was performed at the parsonage of the Methodist Episcopal church of that village by Rev. O. E. Raymond, pastor of the church. Mr. and Mrs. Ellis White of Hudson, N. Y., brother and sister-in-law of the bridegroom, attended them.
Immediately after the ceremony Mr. and Mrs. White left on a wedding trip to the southern part of the state and upon their return in a week will reside at Redwood.
Mrs. White was born in this village and was educated in the local public schools, including the high school. Mr. White, a native of Redwood, was educated in the schools of Redwood, where he attended high school. He is associated with his father in the hardware and plumbing business at Redwood.
MAN, SICK FOR 13 YEARS, IS DEAD
Arthur Boynton Ball, 62, retired farmer, died this morning at 7 at the family home at Dexter after an illness of 13 years. Mr. Ball had been seriously ill since May 9. He entered Mercy hospital May 10 where he received treatment for ten days.
Mr. Ball was born in the town of Watertown, Nov. 19, 1873, a son of the late Byron and Lovica Wadley Ball. His mother died 33 years ago today. His early life as spent in the town of Watertown. Twenty-four years ago he removed to the vicinity of Adams Center where he operated a farm until six years ago when the family moved to a farm in the village of Dexter for the past two years.
Mr. Ball married Miss Dora Fralick, Oct. 13, 1897, at Worth. Rev. J. W. Barrett performed the ceremony.
Surviving are his wife, Mrs. Dora Fralick Ball; one son, Keith Ball, Watertown; one daughter, Mrs. Charles McLean, Dexter; one grandson, Dennis McLean, Dexter; one aunt, Mrs. Ida Potter, Watertown.
A private prayer service will be held Sunday at 3 p.m. (E. S. T.) at the home followed by a funeral service at 3:30 at the First Presbyterian church of Dexter. Rev. John R. Campbell, minister of the Dexter First Presbyterian church, will officiate and will be assisted by Rev. Paul A. Roy, pastor of the Dexter Methodist Episcopal church. Interment will be in the Dexter cemetery.
Bearers will be George Bird, Ray Fralick, Lee Fralick, Cecil Jones, Frank Harrington and Arthur Walrath.
MERCURY GOES TO 82 DEGREES HERE
FAIR WEATHER ALSO PREDICTED
WARMEST MAY 1 OF CENTURY
Residents Shed Topcoats, Sack
Coats and Finally Vest--Heavy
Fog Ushers in the Month But
Is Clear as the Sun Rises
Today the mercury rose to 82 degrees in the shade, according to the official reading made by F. H. Jennings, city weather observer, thus shattering all records for high temperatures on May 1 since 1898. This was the hottest May 1 on record for the 20th century. On May 1, 1930, and 1933 the mercury climbed to 80 degrees here and previous to that high 78 degrees held the record. That was registered in 1916. On May 1, 1934, the mercury rose to 76 degrees.
Under the blazing heat of the noonday sun the mercury surged upward to 90 degrees. For the first time in several months northern New York residents realized what it was like to feel such heat. More daring residents came down to their offices this morning wearing either light topcoats or with just suits, believing that spring had at last arrived. By noon, however, they realized that the heat was real summer heat and topcoats, suit coats and vests were shed.
The temperature on Thursday reached the high mark of 69 degrees. The low overnight was 55 degrees. May arrived in northern New York at midnight amid a typical “London fog.” The city and entire countryside were engulfed in a thick murky blanket of fog all evening.
Driving became so hazardous that motorists were compelled to move at a snail’s pace through the city streets in order to guard against accidents. Driving on the highways in the county was equally bad. The fog outside the city moved in waves and in the lowlands it was so thick that even powerful headlights made no impression upon it. Drivers in the city could not see more than a quarter of a block ahead of them during the evening. Toward dawn the fog lifted and the sun rose warm and bright. A south wind passed over the north country and May 1 was ushered in as a summer day---quite in contrast to the cold and wet April which had just passed.
Doors of homes were thrown open today as the mercury climbed higher and higher. Office windows were thrown open and business places that had fans attached turned the switch for the first time since last summer.
Northern New York trout streams have thus far not furnished anglers with large catches owing to the cold weather and high water. But if this warm weather continues over the weekend nimrods from all sections will pack the streams.
The weather prediction for this area indicates that the fair and warm weather will continue tonight. Showers are forecast for Saturday night.
The official forecast from the federal weather bureau is: “Generally fair tonight, Saturday, Cloudy. Showers Saturday night and probably in west and north Saturday afternoon."
(headline missing) (1936)
FEDERAL AGRICULTURE DEPARTMENT WORKER SPEAKS
BELLEVILLE GROUP SHOWS WORK
Among Homes Visited Are Those
Of Mrs. Fay Tenney, Theresa;
Mrs. Henry Cramer, South Rut-
land; Mrs. Gerald Eastman,
Over 200 home bureau women participated in the Jefferson county better homes tour which was conducted Friday. The tour began at 9 in the morning at the home of Mrs. Fay Tenney in Theresa. At the Tenney home the group saw a rearranged living room and heard Mrs. Tenney tell how it had been accomplished.
From Theresa the group motored to South Rutland to the home of Mrs. Henry Cramer where they saw an inconvenient kitchen made into an attractive and convenient room. At the home of Mrs. Harold Wilder those on the tour saw the remodeled kitchen and heard a discussion on the use of electrical equipment.
After lunch the homemaking students under the supervision of Miss Elizabeth Smith, home making teacher at Belleville academy, gave an exhibit of their clothing work. This display included silk and cotton dresses made by the students who also explained the purpose and use of the equipment in the homemaking department.
Mrs. Gerald Eastman’s living room at Woodville was an example of how a large room can be arranged for comfort and convenience of a large or small number of people. At the home of Mrs. Harold Clark in Smithville, the group saw an entirely remodeled house where the kitchen had been made into a convenient workshop by the use of cupboards, shelves and the neat arrangement of equipment.
Mrs. Lee Ramsey, Smithville, told the women about her plans for making her kitchen meet the needs of the Ramsey family. She demonstrated to the group her method in using the washstands for drainboards, storage and washing space.
At noon Miss Florence L. Hall, United States department of agriculture, field agent for twelve eastern states, spoke on “Newer Trends in Home Demonstration Work.”
She stated that in all extension work there is a trend toward building local programs around a problem rather than around personal preference. As an example of the problem approach to program planning Miss Hall asked: “What about the children’s health situation in your community? Are large numbers of children suffering from physical ailments due to poor nutrition?" Studies made recently reveal that large numbers of rural children are seriously underweight, with 50 per cent or more having defective teeth, she said.
The tour was conducted under the direction of Miss Eloise C. Irish, county home demonstration agent; Mrs. Howard Clark, Smithville; Mrs. Lulu William, Plessis, and Miss Dora Schneider, Lafargeville.
Corporal H. E. Cole and Trooper G. W. Ashley of the Clayton patrol of state police, acted as escorts during the tour.
Miss Edna Arlene Stafford, daughter of Herbert E. Stafford, 225 North Hamilton street, and David Harold Bushnell, son of Henry Bushnell, 621 Lansing street, were quietly married at 8:30 Thursday evening at Adams Center by Justice of the Peace W. A. Flint.
Miss Marjorie Mitchell of Alexandria Bay and Gaylord Williams of Dexter were the attendants. Only a few friends and relatives witnessed the ceremony. The bride wore a gown of variegated chiffon and hat with gloves to match. The maid of honor wore a blue satin crepe gown with a short smock jacket and hat to match. Their bouquets were rosebuds, sweet peas and babybreath.
A small reception dinner followed the ceremony at the New Parrot Tea room.
Mrs. Bushnell is the younger daughter of Herbert E. Stafford and the late Nellie Plank Stafford. She attended the local schools and was graduated from Stewart Hall of New Rochelle. She is a practical nurse.
Mr. Bushnell is the son of Henry Bushnell and the late Mary Leviker Bushnell. He attended the local schools. Mr. Bushnell is a barber and is affiliated with the Bushnell barber shop on Arcade street, city.
The couple expect to take a wedding trip in the fall to Montana. They are living now at 621 Lansing street.
Carthage, June 3. -- Mr. and Mrs. Clark Williams of Plessis were visitors at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Harry A. Rowell, High street, West Carthage, over the Memorial Day week-end. Raymond Williams and Miss Norman Castell of Omar also spent Sunday as guests at the Rowell home.
Theresa, July 31. -- Miss May Dora Schneider of the Hyde Lake section became the bride of Roscoe Wilson Hunter of Plessis at a quiet marriage here Thursday afternoon at the home of Rev. W. J. Hancock, who performed the ceremony. Rev. Mr. Hancock was formerly the pastor at Plessis.
The attendants were Pauline Marion Schneider, sister of the bride, and Thomas Alvero Hunter, brother of the bridegroom.
Mrs. Hunter is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Schneider and is one of a family of children who have been successful as school teachers. She is a graduate of the Theresa High school. Mr. Hunter is a graduate of the Alexandria Bay High school and attended St. Lawrence university. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Ross Hunter of Plessis.
Following the marriage Mr. and Mrs. Hunter left by auto for a trip through portions of Canada. Upon their return they expect to reside in Plessis.
She Recalls Alexandria Bay
When “Some of the Main Streets
of Today Were Just Cowpaths”
--Was Once a Teacher.
Theresa, July 31. --Mrs. Sarah Merrill Parker of this village, 90 years old today, had her birthday celebration Thursday with a dinner party at the Hotel Carleton, Cape Vincent. At the dinner were her daughter, Mrs. Grace Bulson, her son-in-law, Charles H. Bulson, all of this village and Mrs. Ida Hunter and Mrs. Minerva Parker of Plessis.
Coupled with this birthday celebration was a trip through the Adirondack mountains, and an overnight stop at Lake Placid and a visit to some of the places there. This trip was taken with Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Buslon.
Mrs. Parker believes that women should look after their own houses and be skilled in the arts of housework and dressmaking. She is averse to readymade dresses and last week made a fine dress, saying that she was not ashamed to make the clothes she wears.
Mrs. Parker recalls Alexandria Bay in the days when she was a girl there. “Some of the main streets of today were just cowpaths when I was a girl,” she said, “and where the Fuller house is located was once quite open country, for I recall a barn and a barnyard across the street there. In my girlhood days, 1850, the Bay was just a river port and much used for the wooding of steamers. There were fishermen there, but not the resort as we know it today.”
Mrs. Parker’s parents were James and Sophia Merrill. She was married to Loren Parker and for a time they resided on the Parker homestead near Redwood. For years she was the primary teacher in the Methodist church at Plessis. She was a teacher in the day school for a period, but after her marriage devoted herself to her family. For a period of time she resided in the village of Redwood.
She has been a choir singer in the Methodist church and still has a fine voice for singing the old gospel songs. Mr. Parker died some years ago, after which Mrs. Parker and her daughter resided together. After her daughter’s marriage to Charles H. Bulson in this village she came to make her home in Theresa and transferred her membership to the Methodist church here. Her daughter is the church organist. There is a son, Frank Parker, who operated the home farm for years.
“There have been great changes in Alexandria Bay in my lifetime,” said Mrs. Parker today, “just as there have been remarkable changes in all this north country.” Mrs. Parker enjoys the radio and the automobile.
Passersby Notice Man Lying in
Garden and Notify Neighbors--
Conducted Jewelry Shops at
Plessis, July 14. -- Byron W. Leverette, jr., 63, local jeweler, was found dead in his vegetable garden at his home here about 9 this morning. Apparently he had dropped dead about five minutes before he was found. Death was attributed to a heart attack.
Mr. Leverette had been in the garden working only a few minutes as he had been at the home of a neighbor only a short time before he died.
Mrs. William Hardy and Mrs. Thomas Hutton noticed him lying in the garden as they drove by and they notified neighbors. Dr. E. E. Eddy of Redwood was summoned. The doctor notified District Attorney Carl J. Hynes of Watertown, who authorized him to act as coroner’s physician in the case. Mr. Leverette had been subject to asthma.
Mr. Leverette was born at Frankville, Ont., in April, 1874. He came to Plessis from Canada about 15 years ago and had jewelry shops at various places, including Alexandria Bay, Redwood and Clayton, besides Plessis. At the time of his death he had a business both at his home and at Clayton.
He was married but was separated from his wife. His father, Byron W.
Leverette, sr., 83, lives in Frankville, Ont.
Funeral services will be held Friday at 2 p.m. (E.S.T.), at his home. Rev. Louis Bruce, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church here, will officiate. The place of burial was undecided today.
BRIDEGROOM’S UNCLE PERFORMS THE
WED TO CLIFFORD BELLENGER
Bride Has Been Teacher at Adams
Center Five Years--Bridegroom
Will Be Manager of G. L. F.
Store at Watertown--Rev. N.
A. Darling Officiates
Theresa, Aug. 1. -- An elaborate home wedding took place at the home of Mr. and Mrs. P. D. Purdey in this village at 1 p.m. today when their eldest daughter, Miss Lila Purdey, became the bride of Clifford Bellenger of Plessis. Rev. N. A. Darling, pastor of the Methodist church at Antwerp, uncle of the bridegroom, was the officiating clergyman. The double ring ceremony was used.
The wedding took place in the bay window under a canopy of lattice work which
was banked with potted and cut plants. The color scheme used was green and
Just before the bridal party entered Mrs. Eunice Schell sang “I Love You Truly.” Mrs. Maude Soper of this village played the accompaniment. Mrs. Soper played the two wedding marches for the ceremony.
The attendants were Miss Lois Purdey, sister of the bride, and Raphael Bellenger, brother of the bridegroom.
The bride wore a gown of while mousseline de soie and carried a bouquet of white roses. The bridesmaid wore a gown of light blue mousseline de soie and carried pink roses.
Directly following the weeding a luncheon was served, Mrs. May Howland being the cateress. Three young women, Misses Elizabeth Tenney, Charlotte Hoover and Minnie Towsley, friends of the family, assisted at the tables. The place cards were white swans.
Mrs. Bellenger was graduated from the Theresa High school and from the Albany State Teachers college and has been the teacher of mathematics at the Adams Center Centralized High school for the past five years. She is a member of the Theresa Methodist church, a member of the church choir and active in the Sunday school, being in the Live Wire class.
Mr. Bellenger, son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Bellenger of Plessis, was graduated from Lafargeville High school and for four years operated the school bus from the Plessis section to Alexandria Bay. He is an officer in the Plessis grange and is active in the Plessis Methodist church of which he is a member.
Directly after the luncheon Mr. and Mrs. Bellenger left by car for a wedding trip to Washington and through Virginia. Upon their return they will be at home at 273 Paddock street, Watertown, where Mr. Bellenger will take charge of the new G. L. F. store there.
The guests attending were:
Rev. and Mrs. N. A. Darling, Antwerp; Mr. and Mrs. F. E. Bellenger, Plessis; Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Douglas and Mr. and Mrs. H. H. Douglas, Sackets Harbor; Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Davis, Adams Center; Miss Bernice Cornell, Adams Center; Miss Ruth Hannahs, Burrville; Mr. and Mrs. P. D. Purdey, Mrs. W. R. Purdey, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Gibbons, Theresa; Mr. and Mrs. E. A. Timmerman, Mr. and Mrs. W. D. Wagner, Orleans; Mr. and Mrs. Irvin Schell, Lois Purday (sic) and Raphael Bellenger, this place.
Typist's Note: The name was spelled "Bellenger" -- however, in a later article concerning this family the name was spelled "Bellinger."
Miss Jennie E. Giltz, 72, who has resided with her sister, Mrs. Anna M. Plato, 306 Winslow street, for the past 24 years, died this morning at 12:25 in Mercy hospital where she had been a patient since Aug. 14. She had been ill since June 25.
Miss Giltz suffered a heart attack in June and since that time had been in poor health. She was in bed for about ten days following the heart attack and then was able to be about the house for two weeks before being taken ill again and forced to her bed.
Miss Giltz was born in the town of Theresa near Redwood, Sept. 2, 1863, daughter of the late Conrad and Mary Bauxbaum Giltz. She spent her early life in and around Redwood, attending the district schools at Baucus Settlement.
For several years Miss Giltz taught in the rural schools near Redwood and then she was engaged as a seamstress, working in numerous towns and villages around Redwood, Theresa and Alexandria Bay.
About 24 years ago she came to this city and made her home with her sister. After coming here she was employed for a short time in Gale’s bakery here and at the James M. Plato grocery store. For the past several years Miss Giltz was retired.
She is survived by two sisters, Miss Mary A. Giltz and Mrs. Anna M. Plato, both of 306 Winslow street, and several nieces and nephews.
The funeral services will be held Sunday afternoon at 2 from the home of her sister, Mrs. Plato. Rev. C. J. Sargent, minister of the Hope Presbyterian church, will officiate. Interment will be made in Redwood.
Redwood, Aug. 25. -- Mrs. Mabel May Barnes, 54, wife of William H. Barnes, died at about 8:15 a.m. Monday at her home on the Alexandria Bay-Redwood road after an illness of about six years.
Mrs. Barnes was born May 23, 1882, in East Syracuse, the daughter of Benjamin Rotnour and Mary Lanning.
She was married at Alexandria Bay, June 20, 1917, to William H. Barnes in a ceremony performed by Rev. C. F. Benjamin. She had lived in this vicinity for the past 25 years.
Mrs. Barnes is survived by her husband; one daughter, Mrs. Harriette Blackburn; one sister, Mrs. Nettie Matthews, Albany; two brothers, W. H. Rotnour, Alexandria Bay, and Eugene Rotnour, Syracuse.
Funeral services will be held Wednesday morning at 8 from St. Cyril’s church, Alexandria Bay, Rev. Armand D. Dussault officiating. Burial will be in Highland Park cemetery.
LOCKJAW TAKES LIFE OF MAN, 76 (1936)
FORMER CHIEF OF POLICE IN ALEXANDRIA BAY
Infection Occurred After
Stepped on Rusty Nail--Dies in
House of Good Samaritan--
Anti-Tetanus Serum Administered.
James Henry Crabb, 76, former chief of police at Alexandria Bay, native of Redwood and once resident of Dexter, died at 3:30 Friday afternoon at the House of the Good Samaritan, a victim of lockjaw which resulted after he stepped on a rusty nail last Saturday at Grennell island where he was boarding and working.
The man, who has been employed as a painter and worked on island summer properties, ran the rusty nail into the sole of his left foot, while closing an icehouse. He did not have the services of a physician but applied home remedies as he stayed at the boarding house of Mrs. Lena Lynn where he lived.
Pain in his back developed on Wednesday and that evening he suffered more intense pains while playing cards. Early Thursday morning his jaw began to stiffen and at 5 a.m. Captain Kohn and William McFadden of the island went by boat to Fishers Landing and summoned Dr. John T. Fowkes, jr., of Clayton.
The doctor went to the island and administered anti-tetanus serum and then directed his immediate removal to the hospital. Crabb was taken to Fishers Landing by boat and then brought here in the car of Brainard Collins. He lapsed into unconsciousness shortly after his arrival.
Mr. Crabb was born at Redwood on Oct. 17, 1859, a son of John and Mary VanWagoner Crabb. In 1888 he married Miss Laura Rogers. During his young days he lived in the west, engaged in selling horses.
Following their marriage, the couple lived in the town of Hammond and then moved to Dexter. He conducted a grist mill at Dexter while a resident of that village. He then moved to this village where he lived until 18 years ago when he went to Alexandria Bay. He was employed on the police force for twelve years, serving as chief most of that time. He also had been superintendent of public works of the village. He gave up active work in 1931 due to ill health.
He was a member of the Thousand Island chapter, F. and A. M. Alexandria Bay. His wife died several years ago.
The survivors are one sister, Mrs. Battie (sic) E. Rogers, Redwood, to whose home the body was taken Friday; one niece, Mrs. Ross Zoller, and one grandniece, Mrs. Louis Rogers, Redwood.
The funeral services will be held from the Redwood Methodist Episcopal church Monday at 2 p.m., Rev. Ernest Bragg, former pastor at Redwood and friend of the family, officiating. Burial will be in Redwood cemetery.
CEREMONY AT HOME OF BRIDE IN ALEXANDRIA BAY
IS MARRIED TO G. N. WILLIAMS
Couple Will Reside in Dexter
Where Mr. Williams Is Employed
in a Garage--Rev. W. J.
Hancock Officiating Clergyman.
Alexandria Bay, Sept. 8. -- Miss Marjorie Bernice Mitchell of Alexandria Bay and Gaylord Neil Williams of Dexter were married Saturday afternoon at 2 at the home of the bride in this village, Rev. William J. Hancock, retired Methodist Episcopal pastor of Theresa, officiating.
The bridal couple and attendants stood in front of the fireplace in the living room which was decorated with gladioli and cut flowers.
The bride wore a light green silk gown, floor length, with tunic and puffed sleeves and had a shoulder bouquet of orange yellow and pink roses and gypsophelia. Her bridesmaid was Miss Gladys Williams of Plessis, who wore a floor length gown of white lace and a shoulder bouquet of pink roses. The bridegroom’s attendant was J. Martin Reynolds of Alexandria.
The ring ceremony was used. Only the immediate families of the couple with a few young friends were present, 16 in number.
At the close of refreshments which followed congratulations, a large wedding cake which formed the center decoration of the dining room table, was cut by the bride and distributed to the guests.
The bride chose as her going away gown a black suit and hat with white accessories. Mr. and Mrs. Williams left by auto for a wedding trip to New York, where they will be guests of the bride’s sister, a trained nurse in Brentwood hospital, L. I. They will reside in Dexter where Mr. Williams is employed in a garage.
--At Alexandria Bay, Sept. 5, 1936, by Rev. William J.
Theresa, Gaylord Neil Williams, Dexter, and Marjorie Bernice Mitchell, Alexandria Bay.
(no headline) (Sept. 5, 1936)
Becomes Bride of Gaylord Williams
--Ceremony Performed by Rev.
W. J. Hancock
Miss Marjorie Mitchell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Mitchell and Gaylord Williams son of Mr. and Mrs. Clark Williams of Plessis were married at the home of the bride on Anthony street, Saturday afternoon at two o’clock. Rev. William J. Hancock, of Theresa, a former pastor of the Methodist church officiating. Miss Gladys Williams a cousin of the groom was bridesmaid and Martin Reynolds was best man. The bride was gowned in a beautiful green silk dress and wore a corsage of yellow roses. The bridesmaid wore a white lace gown with a corsage of pink roses. Mrs. Williams was a graduate of the Alexandria Bay High school, class of 1933 and is a very popular member of the younger set.
Immediately after the ceremony, a wedding luncheon was served which included a fifty pound wedding cake which had been presented to the couple.
They left in the afternoon by automobile for New York city where they will spend several days and from there they will visit the bride’s sister at Brentwood, Long Island; returning they will visit friends at Oneonta. They will make their home at Dexter upon their return, where Mr. Williams will manage the garage of the bride’s brother Arthur Mitchell, who leaves soon for Florida.
Those present were Rev. and Mrs. Hancock, Mr. and Mrs. Clark Williams, Wayne and Raymond Williams, Miss Gladys Williams, Mrs. Arthur Mitchell, Mrs. Fred Dobbins, Miss Marilyn Castell, Mrs. James Mitchell and Miss Roberta Bowles.
Theresa, Sept. 28.-- Miss Leah Salisbury of Watertown became the bride of Claude Simonds of Philadelphia Saturday afternoon at the Methodist church here. They were attended by Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Cook.
The bride has been employed in Watertown. Her parents reside in Hammond. Mr. Simonds’ parents, Mr. and Mrs. George Simonds, have a farm in the town of Philadelphia.
The bride has been employed in Watertown. Her parents reside in Hammond. Mr. Simonds’ parents, Mr. and Mrs. George Simonds, have a farm in the town of Philadelphia.
Is Married to Norman F.
They Will Make Their home in Pulaski
Miss Dorothy Mae Aiken, popular young lady of this village and Norman Francis Scott were married at Westminister Park, Sunday afternoon at 2 o’clock by Rev. Earl D. Compton, pastor of the Reformed Church of the Thousand Islands. Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Reynolds were attendants. The bride was dressed in a brown traveling suit and carried pink roses. Mrs. Reynolds was dressed in a rust colored suit and had yellow roses.
Mrs. Scott is a graduate of the Alexandria Bay High school, class of 1936 and possesses a very beautiful voice, and on several occasions has been heard over the radio from the Syracuse stations. She was selected as Queen of the 1936 winter carnival and was voted by the 1936 senior class as being the most popular and most beautiful.
Mr. Scott has been assistant manager of the meat department of the American store for the past two seasons and has been promoted to the managership of the meat department of the American Store at Pulaski where they will make their home after a brief wedding tour. Mr. Scott is also popular with the younger set, and he and his bride have the well wishes of a host of friends.
Those present were Mr. and Mrs. William Aiken, Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth P. Blevins, Mrs. Reed Hunt, Mr. and Mrs. Archie Chase, Mrs. Lulu Stephens, Miss Jean Kenyon, Bill Lyons, Misses Ruby and Hilda Aiken.
FARMER IN REDWOOD AREA SINCE MARRIAGE
WIFE ILL WITH PNEUMONIA
Native of Town of Alexandria and
Wife Celebrated Their 60th
Wedding Anniversary Last
June 30 -- Funeral Sunday
Redwood, Nov. 27. -- Samuel Pierce, 85, died this morning at 4:30 at his home on the Redwood-Ogdensburg road while his wife in the same house is seriously ill with pneumonia. Mr. Pierce had been ill for about a week. His death was caused by a heart ailment.
Mr. Pierce was born on Aug. 18, 1851; at Barnes Settlement in the town of Alexandria, a son of William and Pamelia Cheeseman Pierce. He married on June 30, 1876, Miss Carolyn Harder at Brockville, Canada. They have (words blurred) made their home in this vicinity where Mr. Pierce was engaged in farming. On June 20 Mr. and Mrs. Pierce celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary.
Besides his widow, Mr. Pierce leaves three daughters, Mrs. Charles Hunneyman, Redwood; Mrs. Elmer Edgerly, Redwood; and Mrs. Fred Hotis, Plessis. He is also survived by nine grandchildren and ten great-grandchildren.
The funeral will be held Sunday at 2 p.m. from the home, Rev. J. R. Hancock, a retired minister, formerly pastor of the Plessis Methodist Episcopal church, now of Theresa, officiating. Interment will be made in the Redwood cemetery.
H. E. Caswell, 46, Clayton, Found Dead by Wife (1936)
CLAYTON -- Harry Earl Caswell, 46, of 406 State street, this village, ended his life at 10 o’clock Tuesday morning by shooting himself in the heart with a single barrel 16-guage shotgun at his home.
Dr. John T. Fowkes, Jr., of Clayton, was named coroner’s physician by District Attorney Howard B. Donaldson. John Brabant, police officer, who investigated, said Mrs. Caswell told him her husband had been despondent because of unemployment, since the family moved here from Plessis about a year ago. He was formerly a farmer and laborer.
Mrs. Caswell went to her work at the Warner knitting plant early Tuesday evening. Her daughter, Eva, went to high school at 9 o’clock. When Mrs. Caswell came home at noon to lunch she found her husband on the bathroom floor dead.
He was a native of the town of Alexandria, son of Mr. and Mrs. Horace Caswell. He married the former Miss Mabel Sprague 19 years ago. Surviving are the widow and daughter, his father, and two brothers, Floyd of Plessis and Edwin Caswell of LaFargeville.
OUT OF WORK SINCE LIVING IN CLAYTON
FORMER RESIDENT OF PLESSIS
Body of Man Discovered by Wife
When She Returns Home From
Work For Lunch--Fired Charge
From Shotgun Into Heart
Clayton, Dec. 15. -- Harry Earl Caswell, 46, of 406 State street this village, formerly of Plessis, ended his own life at his home this morning by firing a charge from a single barrel 16-guage shotgun into his heart.
Caswell, who spent his life in the vicinity of Plessis where he was a farmer and laborer, had been unemployed since he and his family moved here about a year ago.
Mrs. Caswell left the house about 7 this morning to go to her work at the Warner Knitting plant. Their daughter, Eva, aged about 18, left for high school shortly before 9. The body was discovered in the bathroom of their home by Mrs. Caswell when she returned home for lunch shortly after noon.
She immediate called Dr. John T. Fowkes, jr., and Don Brabant, local police officer, investigated. According to Dr. Fowkes, the man apparently took his life about 10 a.m. while he was alone in the house. District Attorney Howard B. Donaldson of Watertown, was notified and he appoint Dr. Fowkes to act as coroner’s physician.
Mr. Caswell was born in the town of Alexandria on March 11, 1890, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Horace Caswell. Nineteen years ago he married Miss Mabel Sprague. They lived on farms in the vicinity of Plessis until coming here a year ago.
The survivors are the widow and the one daughter, his father, Horace Caswell, and two brothers, Floyd of Plessis and Edwin Caswell of Lafargeville.
HELEN BATES WED BY W. L. DICKSON(1936)
Rensselaer Falls, Aug. 27. -- Miss Helen Bates of South Hammond became the bride of W. Leon Dickson of Antwerp Wednesday at 9 a.m. at the Methodist Episcopal parsonage. Rev. W. O. Hull performed the ceremony, using the ring service.
The couple was attended by Mr. and Mrs. Morris Lee of Pope Mills.
Miss Bates wore a traveling suit of blue with matching accessories. Mrs. Lee also was attired in blue.
Mr. and Mrs. Dickson left on a wedding trip to Toronto and will visit the Dominion exhibition in that city. On their return, Mr. and Mrs. Dickson will take up their residence at their farm home in Antwerp.
Mrs. Dickson is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Bates of South Hammond. She formerly was a parishioner of Rev. Mr. Hull and is a friend of the family.
WOMAN, 23, AND BABY SUCCUMB
MOTHER DIES AFTER BIRTH OF SON WHO ALSO DIES
IS WIFE OF EUGENE COBEY
Mrs. Mary Reed Cobey Dies at
Home of Parents in Redwood--
Had Resided in Alexandria Bay
Redwood, Jan. 6. -- Mrs. Mary Reed Cobey, 23, died at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. George Reed, this village, at 11 a.m. Tuesday following the birth of a son, who also died.
Mrs. Cobey was born in Redwood, Dec. 12, 1913, a daughter of Salina Brown and George Reed.
She spent her entire life here until her marriage to Eugene Cobey of Alexandria Bay on Sept. 24, 1932 when she went there to reside. She was a member of St. Peter’s Episcopal church.
Besides her husband she is survived by her parents, Mr. and Mrs. George Reed of Redwood; three brothers, Ralph, Walter and Emery, all of Redwood; three sisters, Mrs. William St. John of Redwood, Mrs. Riley Ledger of Alexandria Bay and Mrs. William Kelly of Poughkeepsie. She also leaves a young son, John.
Funeral services will be held on Thursday afternoon at 2 from St. Peter’s Episcopal church, Rev. Mr. Worden officiating. Interment will be made in the Redwood cemetery.
Daughter is Born.
Plessis, Jan. 19. -- A daughter, Shirley Ann, weight eight pounds, was born at the Theresa Community hospital, Jan. 16, to Mr. and Mrs. Roscoe Hunter.
VANBROCKLIN--In Mercy hospital, Jan. 27, 1937< to Mr. and Mrs. Clifford VanBrocklin, Alexandria Bay, a son. (1937)
MRS. GRACE B. REYNOLDS DIES(1937)
Plessis, May 10. -- Mrs. Grace Bauter Reynolds, 52, died at her home in Plessis at 12:30 Sunday morning following an illness of two years. Mrs. Reynolds was the wife of Ory A. Reynolds, local farmer.
She was born in the town of Theresa on the Plessis-Theresa road Feb. 8, 1885, a daughter of Mrs. Ellen Ball Bauter, now of Plessis, and the late Elton Bauter. Mrs. Reynolds spent her entire life in the vicinity of Plessis where she was married Feb. 28, 1903.
She is survived by her husband and mother and five children, Merle, Marion, Hazel, Donald and Gerald, and one granddaughter, Elizabeth Reynolds, all of Plessis.
A prayer service will be held at the home at 1:30 p.m. (E.S.T.), Tuesday, followed by funeral services in the Methodist Episcopal church at 2. Rev. Allen Moore, pastor, will officiate. Interment will be in Brookside cemetery, Plessis.
WIDOW OF ADAM GILTZ, 82, DIES
Brier Hill, March 19. -- Mrs. Mary Schad Giltz, 82, widow of Adam Giltz, formerly of Redwood, died here at 2 this morning at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Harve (sic) McWilliams. She had been in ill health for several weeks.
Mrs. Giltz was born May 28, 1854, in the town of Alexandria, the eldest daughter of Adam and Margaret Schad. On Feb. 10, 1876, she was married to Adam Giltz. They operated a farm following their marriage. At the time of Mr. Giltz’ death at Redwood in August, 1918, he had retired.
She was a charter member of the Dorcas society of Redwood and was also a member of St. Paul’s Lutheran church at Redwood.
Mrs. Giltz came to this section several years ago and for about six months had resided with Mr. and Mrs. McWilliams here.
She is survived by one son, E. A. Giltz, Brier Hill; one daughter, Mrs. Inez Petrie, Philadelphia; two grandchildren, Glenn Giltz, Ausable Forks, and Mrs.Carl Woodward, Watertown, Conn., and one great-grandson, Charles Woodward, Watertown, Conn.
Funeral services will be held from the home of her son here at 1 Monday afternoon and at 2 in St. Paul’s Lutheran church at Redwood. Rev. Mr. Henderson, pastor of the church, will officiate. Burial will be made in the Redwood cemetery.
VANE 75 YEARS ON PLESSIS SPIRE, GIFT OF SHURTLEFF (1937)
Plessis, May 21. -- At the top of the tall, white spire of the Methodist church in this village is a weather-vane, which has told its story of the shifting breezes for over three-quarters of a century. This arrow, about four feet in length, a designed worked along its side, was a gift to the church from Willard Shurtleff.
His home was long in a house about opposite to the present Grange hall in Wall street. Near the center gate of the Plessis cemetery, and near to the fence, is a substantial monument upon which is cut the name of Willard Shurtleff, died April 13, 1871, aged 73 years. That was eleven years after the church was dedicated. Almanda, wife of Willard Shurtleff, died Aug. 13, 1846, in her 47th year. On the adjoining stone there is cut the name of Polly, wife of James Shurtleff, died Oct. 2, 1814, aged 38 years. This shows that Brookside cemetery in Plessis was started as a burial ground at a very early date.
Records show that the church, when built in 1859, and dedicated in 1860, was built on land donated to the society by Samuel Adams.
MUCH MORE TO FOLLOW
Return to Jefferson County NYGenWeb page
Return to Jefferson County Tidbits
Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page