We are indebted to Leon Hunter for allowing us to copy his mother's scrapbook, and particularly, once again, to Shirley Farone for retyping all this. Shirley does most of the formatting, also, leaving us with an easy upload. Thanks, Shirley and Leon! The original scrapbook is now in the Northern New York Agricultural Museum, of which Leon is a trustee. Marguerite Raineri, the director, has made the scrapbooks available to us.

Part: 1, Part: 2, Part: 3, Part: 4, Part: 5, Part: 6, Part: 7, Part: 8



Theresa, Sept. 21. --Edward Cavanaugh, 78, died at 3:30 this evening at Hepburn hospital, Ogdensburg, where he had been a patient for several weeks. Death was not unexpected as he had been in poor health here for about a year.

He was born at Hyde Lake, March 10, 1858, a son of Cornelius and Mary Mahar Cavanaugh. The Cavanaugh family were pioneers at Hyde lake where they took up a large farm. Edward was educated in the local schools and became a school teacher for a time. On Feb. 15, 1880 he married Miss Molly F. Hayes, school teacher of Clayton, and soon after they located in the Creek road section in Alexandria where he purchased a farm. Later he purchased the Sawyer farm, also in the Creek road section, and there the family resided until he retired a couple of years ago and came to this village to reside.

He was a well known farmer and had a large acquaintance. He was a member of St. Theresa Catholic church here. Mrs. Cavanaugh died about a year and a half ago.

He is survived by two sons, Frank of this place and Hayes of the far west; four daughters, Mrs. Alice Major of Rochester; Mrs. Florence Kelley of Syracuse; Mrs. Grace Hunt of Alexandria Bay and Margaret of this village, in charge of the local telephone office for several years. There are four brothers surviving: John of Chicago, Thomas of California, Dennis of Watertown and William of this village.

The funeral will be held Wednesday at 9:30 a.m., from the St. Theresa Catholic church in this village. Burial will be in the family plot in Oakwood cemetery here.



WATERTOWN. --Norman B. Hill, 62 of Franklyn street, Brownville, ended his life in the garage of his home by shooting himself in the stomach with a shotgun.

The man left a note to his wife which read: “Sadie, you will find me in the garage. Send for the sheriff, and do not touch my body until he comes. Something broke in my head. Guess I am going insane. Goodbye. Love to all. Daddy.”

Mrs. Hill told Sheriff Brayton E. Peck who made the investigation that her husband came downstairs about 7:30 o’clock Sunday morning about a half hour after she arose. He told her he had pains in his head and had taken some quieting pills during the night. She returned upstairs, coming down about 8:15 o’clock. He finished shaving and left the house.

She thought nothing of his going out at first, and then discovered the note. She then went to her nearest neighbors, Mr. and Mrs. C. F. Dano, and the Danos went to the garage and found the body. The body was taken to the Box undertaking parlors here.

Mr. Hill was a native of Alexandria Bay. He had lived in Brownville five years. He had one time worked on highway construction under Sheriff Peck when the latter was town highway superintendent of Brownville. He had not worked recently.

He is survived by his wife, and four children, Ann, 17; Carlton, 14; Hazel, 11; and Ross, 9. Dr. L. O. Fox acted as coroner’s physician. District Attorney Carl J. Hynes said he would render a verdict of suicide.



Lafargeville Resident, Teacher
Near Alexandria Bay, Is Bride
of Bay Garage Manager--She Is
Potsdam Normal Graduate.

Alexandria Bay, Dec. 28. --Miss E. Gladys Williams, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. F. E. Williams of Lafargeville, and J. Martin Reynolds, son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Reynolds of this village, were married Thursday morning at the home of the bride’s parents by Rev. William Aubrey, pastor of the Alexandria Bay Methodist Episcopal church.

Clifford VanBrocklin, cousin of the bride, and Miss Arlene Williams, her sister, attended.

The bride wore a gown of wine silk lace and crepe, and carried white roses. The bridesmaid wore a brown crepe dress and carried Talisman roses.

A breakfast was given by the bride’s parents after the ceremony. Guests included Mr. and Mrs. Edward Reynolds, Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Reynolds, Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Reynolds, Miss Irene Reynolds, Charles Reynolds, Mr. and Mrs. Gaylord Williams, Mr. and Mrs. Glenn Williams and son, Douglas; Mr. and Mrs. F. E. Williams, Clifford VanBrocklin, Miss Williams, Miss Mary Martin and Mrs. Williams, grandmother of the bride.

Mr. Reynolds is a graduate of Alexandria Bay High school. Since his graduation he has been manager of the Weller garage here. Mrs. Reynolds is a graduate of the local high school and of Potsdam normal. She has been in charge of No. 6 school near here.

They left by motor for central and southern New York state. At the end of the week they will be at home here.




WATERTOWN. --John Bates, 66, clerk and bartender the last six years at the Brownville hotel, died at Mercy hospital at 8:15 o’clock Sunday morning where he had been under treatment since December 13. Death was due to an enlarged heart.

Mr. Bates was a native of Theresa, son of James S. and Frances Waldrat (sic) Bates. He attended school at Theresa and as a young man went to Chicago where he lived for a year and a half. Then he returned to this section, and for several years worked at hotels and cafes at Alexandria Bay. Thereafter he leased the hotel at Plessis, which he operated for 15 years. Then he came to Watertown and for a time worked at the Empire liquor store, and then ran a cafe in Factory square for a time.

His wife died two years ago. There survive six brothers, Oren of Philadelphia, Fred, Alda and William of Antwerp, Samuel of Port Leyden and Frank Bates, this city. The body was taken to the Howland funeral home. Burial will be at Carthage where his wife is buried.

Services will be in St. Patrick’s church at 9:30 o’clock Tuesday morning.



H. H. HOUGHTON, AGED 76, DIES (1936)
Captain of First Naphtha Launch
to Appear on River Was Janitor
at Alexandria Bay High School
For 13 Years.

Alexandria Bay, Oct. 2. --Hiram H. Houghton, 76, died Thursday evening at the state hospital in Ogdensburg after a three years’ illness. Mr. Houghton died suddenly at 11:30 p.m. and his wife and son were unable to reach Ogdensburg before he died.

Mr. Houghton was born in the town of Alexandria, near Point Vivian, Aug. 27, 1860, a son of Rhode Barker Houghton and Hiram H. Houghton, and as a young man he worked for Royal E. Dean as captain of the first Naphtha launch to appear on the St. Lawrence river. Mr. Houghton worked for Mr. Dean for slightly over 30 years and after Mr. Dean’s death he moved to this village.

After working for Charles Garlock and Son of this village for a long time as carpenter, Mr. Houghton took over the maintenance of the school building in 1920 and he continued as a janitor for the school for 13 years when he retired in 1933 cue to poor health.

Mr. Houghton is survived by his wife, Sophie R. Houghton, and his son, Cecil Houghton, both of this village; two sisters, Mrs. Salina Martin of Saginaw, Mich., and Mrs. Kate Brand of Milwaukee, Ind.; three half-brothers, Harrison Houghton of Rockport, Ont., Charles Houghton of this village and Walter Houghton of Rochester; three half-sisters, Mrs. Fanny Grieb of Rochester, Mrs. Percy Beach of San Francisco, Calif., and Mrs. Charles Garlock of this village.

Funeral services will be held from the family home at Avery avenue at 2 p.m. Sunday with the Rev. William Aubrey, pastor of the local Methodist Episcopal church, officiating. Rev. O. E. Raymond, former pastor of the local Methodist Episcopal church, will assist at the funeral. Burial will be made in the Walton street cemetery.




THERESA. --Mrs. Sarah Merrill Parker, 90, died Tuesday morning at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Charles H. Bulson after a three weeks’ illness of grip.

Mrs. Parker was a native of the town of Alexandria, daughter of James and Sophia Shurtleff Merrill. She was in her younger days a school teacher. She was married to Doren Parker, a farmer, September 15, 1869. He died in 1916. For more than 60 years she taught Sunday school in Plessis and Redwood. Every day she read her Bible.

Surviving are two children, Mrs. Bulson and a son, Frank, who lives on the homestead at Jewetts Corners, near Redwood. The funeral will be at 2 o’clock Friday afternoon at the Bulson home. Rev. U. B. Grant, pastor of the M. E. church, will officiate. Burial will be in Plessis cemetery.



Was School Teacher
Well known Plessis farmer
Man Dies of Pneumonia After
Ten Day Illness Following A
Stroke -- Funeral To Be Held
Tuesday at 1:30 P.M

Plessis - Oct. 28 -- Charles Jerome Frost, 82, one of the oldest residents of Plessis died at his home here Tuesday morning after a 10-day illness following a stroke that terminated in bronchial pneumonia.

Mr. Frost was born August 21, 1854 in Alexandria in what is called the Creek Road District. His parents were Delos and Samantha* Frost. He attended the public schools and later taught in local schools and worked on farms. In 1878 he married Estella Harger of Redwood who died in 1884, leaving one son, Charles, who died in 1921. In 1899 he married Mary West of Theresa, who died four years ago.

He is survived by an adopted daughter, Mrs. Clifford Joyce, who has cared for him in his illness; a grandson, Kenneth, son of Charles Frost; a great granddaughter, Shirley Ann Frost; 2 granddaughters, Barbara Jean Joyce and Mary Alice Joyce, both of Plessis; two nieces, Mrs. Hubert Collins of Plessis and Mrs. Florence Sheridan of Theresa and a nephew George Hough of Syracuse.

Mr. Frost was a farmer practically all his life which was spent in Alexandria. He was a member of the Plessis Methodist Episcopal Church and of Plessis Grange.

The funeral will be at the home Thursday at 1:30 p.m., Rev. Allen Moore, officiating. Bearers will be Gordon Snell, C. J. Makepeace, R. L. Penn, Earl Bretsch, Ernest Snell and Frank Snyder. Interment will be in the Plessis Brookside Cemetery.

Typist’s Note: Symantha's maiden name was Hosner. She was the daughter of Nicholas and Abigail Wiltse Hosner. (from my personal database)



Redwood, Nov. 27. -- Miss Fannie Zimmer, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Louis Zimmer of Omar, and Merrill P. Hunneyman, only son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Hunneyman of Redwood, were married Tuesday evening by Rev. William D. Aubrey, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church at Alexandria Bay.

Mrs. Hunneyman is a graduate of Alexandria Bay High school and of Potsdam normal. For the past three years she has taught in the rural district nearby.

Mr. Hunneyman is engaged in farming near here.

After a short wedding trip, Mr. and Mrs. Hunneyman will reside on the Hunneyman farm.



Mrs. Bolton Lived on Farm Near
Plessis For Many Years--She
Is a Native of Eden, Ont. --
Makes Her Home With Her
Daughter, Mrs. William W. Shannon.

Carthage, April 29. -- With a youthful attitude which belies her age, Mrs. Mary A. Bolton, well known West Carthage resident, is today celebrating her 82nd birthday. Mrs. Bolton, who makes her home with her daughter, Mrs. William W. Shannon, 39 North Main street, was the guest of honor at a gathering this afternoon of the West Side Birthday club of which she is a member. Luncheon was served at 1 at the Shannon home, followed by a social afternoon.

Besides Mrs. Bolton, the members attending were Mrs. Philetta Graves, Mrs. Minnie Patterson, Mrs. H. C. Vrooman, Mrs. Rachel Woolworth, Mrs. E. E. Harrington, Mrs. E. H. Clemons and Mrs. Rose Sarvey. Two other members, Mrs. Charles Applegate of Champion and Mrs. Delia Forbes of Watertown, were unable to be present.

A native of Eden, Ont., Canada, Mrs. Bolton is a daughter of Grandison Cole and Sophia Townsend Cole. She came to this country with her parents when she was eleven years old, residing at first in Lafargeville. The following year, 1867, the family moved to a farm near Plessis, which was their home for a number of years.

Her marriage to James S. Bolton, native of Alexandria Bay, took place July 2, 1873. Until 97 (sic) years ago, the couple lived at the family farm near Plessis, moving then to the village. Following the death of her husband on Dec. 27, 1927, Mrs. Bolton came to reside with her daughter, Mrs. Shannon.



Plessis, May 26. --This week a community flag pole will be raised on the west corner of the square in this village and on special days, as well as other occasions, the Stars and Stripes will be flown. The men of the community have set stout oak posts and these are just at the edge of the village well, and these posts will support the flag pole. The flag staff has an interesting history. Forty-nine years ago when Harrison and Morton were candidates for the president and vice president on the Republican ticket, the leaders of that party decided to out-do other communities and political parties by erecting a flagpole that would be the champion of them all. So early in that fall of 1888 the men found two tall straight trees and these brought to this village, dressed down, spliced and in a big rally, raised with the Harrison & Morton banner flying from the top. The flag pole was 120 feet high.

After some years it was thought the pole was unsafe and it was cut down and the top portion of the pole saved. It was set up in later years on the green beside the Makepeace store. But it was thought the square was the proper place for the pole, so it has been painted two coats of while paint, the large weather vane has been given coats of aluminum and Thursday it is expected that Fire Chief Frank Schneider will get his men and the flagpole will be set up, ready for Memorial Day and other special events. The weather vane is four feet long and the letters of the compass are easily read from a long distance away.

The pole to be raised seems to be in excellent condition after a half century and but few of the people who helped to raise it the first time will be able to help at this raising this week.




Redwood, June 19. -- Miss Margaret Beebee, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Ray Beebee, Watertown, and Albert Hartman, son of Mrs. Elizabeth Hartman and the late Fred Hartman of Redwood, were married on Saturday, June 12, at Theresa, in a ceremony performed by Rev. William Hancock, retired Methodist minister.

They were attended by Mr. and Mrs. Albert Bickelhaupt, brother-in-law and sister of the bride. The bride was attired in a blue ensemble with matching accessories.

Immediately after the ceremony, the bridal couple left for a short wedding tip to Niagara Falls.

They will reside at the bridegroom’s home where he is engaged in farming. Mrs. Hartman for two years assisted in the home and office of Dr. E. Eddy of Redwood.



Flag of Peru Is Laid Across Mrs. Clarence Snell’s
Breast Before She is Laid to Rest at Plessis--
Theresa and Plessis Pastors Assist Rev. Samuel G. Houghton

Plessis, May 17. With the flag of Peru, the land in which she gave years of her life as a missionary, across her breast, Mrs. Ida Miller Snell, wife of Rev. Clarence Snell, was buried in Brookside cemetery here Sunday afternoon. The bearers were six men boyhood friends of her husband. The funeral services were held at the Methodist church, with Rev. Samuel G. Houghton, superintendent of the West District of Central New York conference of the Methodist church, officiating. Rev. Dr. Houghton’s son, Robert, married a daughter of Mrs. Snell, and now resides in Syracuse. Rev. Dr. Houghton was assisted in the service by Rev. W. J. Hancock of Theresa, former pastor of Plessis, and Rev. Louis Bruce, newly appointed pastor of Plessis. Mrs. Amy Joyce and Mrs. Beulah Hardy sang.

Rev. Dr. Houghton reviewed her work as a missionary in South America and stated that the flag of Peru was a gift to her from a teacher in a college there.

The bearers were Claude Makepeace, Frank Bellinger, Walter and Cushman Sprague, Frank Rowell and Hugh Steele.

Mrs. Snell was born at Germantown 66 years ago, and after her graduation was accepted by the Mission board of the Methodist church as a teacher in a college in Chile. She went in 1905 to a college near Santiago, where Rev. Mr. Snell was president. They were married there 25 years ago. Later the Mission board transferred them to Lima, Peru.

In 1936 her health began to fail and they were given retirement privileges and returned to the United States. They spent last winter in Florida, but Mrs. Snell gradually grew weaker. One of her twin daughters, Ruth, a trained nurse of Geneva, was with her the last three months.

Besides her husband, she is survived by two daughters, Ruth and Mrs. Houghton; two sisters, Mrs. Margaret Harder and Mrs. Richard Burkhardt, Red Hook.

Others attending the funeral services from out of town were Mr. Houghton, Mr. and Mrs. Myron Brown of Baton Rouge, La., the latter a sister-in-law.




Lafargeville, June 2. -- Thomas A. Sears, 55, well known resident of this vicinity, died at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at the A. Barton Hepburn hospital in Ogdensburg where he had been under treatment for some time. Death was caused by a cerebral hemorrhage. Mr. Sears had been in ill health for several months.

He was born at Spencerville, Ont., Canada, a son of James and Mary Sears. When he was 18 years age he came to this country, settling in this vicinity where he had since lived. On Jan. 5, 1909, he married Miss Nina Eddy of Omar, and since that time he had operated a farm near here. Previous to his marriage he was employed for a time by the late C. G. Emery at his island home in the St. Lawrence.

Mr. Sears is survived by his widow; one daughter, Mrs. Edgar Dewey, and a granddaughter, Mary Jane Dewey, both of Lafargeville; two sisters, Mrs. John Cutler of Watertown and Mrs. Clarence Anthony of St. Mary’s, Pa., and one brother, John Sears of Spencerville, Ont.

The funeral will be held Friday at 10 a.m., (E. S. T.) from St. John’s church, with Rev. A. M. Viau, pastor, officiating. Interment will be in the Omar cemetery.




Evans Mills, June 24. -- Mr. and Mrs. Bryant C. Drake of Evans Mills announce the marriage of their daughter, Ruth Helen, to Truman Rowell of Rochester. The wedding took place Sunday, June 20, at 12:45 in the Lyell avenue Baptist church parsonage, Rochester, Rev. Mr. Hammon officiating.

The bride wore a white tailored suit with accessories to match and carried a bouquet of pink gladioli and pink roses. Her maid of honor, Miss Rena Rowell, sister of the bridegroom, wore a yellow tailored suit and carried pale lavender gladioli and yellow snapdragons. The best man was Mr. Harry Caesar.

Mrs. Rowell was a member of the 1934 graduating class of Evans Mills High school. She attended the agricultural college in Canton one year. She has been employed in Rochester for the past two years.

Mr. Rowell was a high school graduate of Rochester with one year at college. He is employed in the Churchill brothers gas station, Rochester, where they will reside.



(next 3 articles)

Body Discovered on Board Island in River Near Clayton
Former Teacher at Philadelphia
High School Walked in Water
Across Sand Bar to Island
Where She Was Found on Rocky
Ledge--Cause of Death Undetermined.

Mrs. Ruth House Hartman, 28, wife of Adam J. Hartman, 139 Michigan avenue, is believed by authorities to have ended her life by swallowing poison after she made her way across a 400-foot, water-covered sand bar to Board island, in the St. Lawrence river between Clayton and the Chateau, late Saturday afternoon or early Saturday night.

The contents of the woman’s stomach were being analyzed today by Dr. Thomas T. Walker, local pathologist, but officials said that it will probably be a day or two before the chemical analysis is completed.

The body of Mrs. Hartman, who authorities say tried to end her life with poison once before, was found sprawled on a rocky ledge on the island about 7:30 Sunday morning by Charles Steele, a Clayton fisherman. Mr. Steele was starting out on a fishing trip when he noticed the body. He notified authorities who started the investigation.

The body was removed to this city as soon as possible after it was discovered and Dr. Walker and Dr. J. T. Fowkes, Clayton, performed an autopsy in an effort to learn the cause of the woman’s death. The fact that there were no fractures or serious wounds on the victim’s body leads authorities to believe that there was no foul play.

“The physicians were unable to find anything during their autopsy to disclose the cause of death,” said Sheriff Brayton E. Peck, who headed the investigators.

“If the chemical analysis of the stomach fails to disclose traces of poison, the woman likely died of exposure,” said Corporal Gerald Thorpe, state police bureau of criminal investigation, who entered the case when puzzling angles appeared in the investigation.

For a time, officials, said, it appeared that the woman might have been the victim of an attacker but the theory was discarded when minor bruises about body were considered to have been caused by contact with rocks and underbrush.

Mr. Hartman disappeared from her home here at about 2:30 Saturday afternoon, according to Sheriff Peck. She took her husband’s sedan and drove towards Clayton. It was found during the investigation that the car ran out of gasoline about three miles from Clayton and that Mrs. Hartman hitch-hiked the rest of the way to the village. She was picked up on the road by Mrs. Ruth Consaul as she stood beside her car.

Mrs. Consaul told the sheriff that she had offered to advance the woman money to buy gasoline but that Mrs. Hartman declined the offer, saying that she knew a man at Clayton who would get the car.

“I let the woman out at the junction of the Clayton-Alexandria Bay road and she started walking,” Mrs. Consaul told the sheriff.

“We found that Mrs. Hartman walked through the underpass towards the Chateau,” said the sheriff. “She was last seen alive walking alone on the road leading out to Steele’s Point.”

Re-constructing the tragedy, officials said that they believed that when the woman reached the end of the point she struck out through the shallow water over a sand bay and waded out to Board island.

“The water is only a foot or two deep over the bar and it was an easy matter for her to walk to the island,” said Corporal Thorpe.

One of the victim’s shoes was missing when her body was found. It is believed to have been pulled free from her foot while she was walking over the sand bar.

Her legs were marked by scratches which officials say resulted from her pulling herself over a jagged, four-foot rock ledge at the edge of the small island.

“Her clothing was wet when the body was found,” said Corporal Thorpe. “However, this fact did not indicate anything for the reason that it had rained during the night.”

The woman had no hat or coat on when she was found but her husband told the sheriff that when his wife left home she did not take a hat or coat. His topcoat and a brief case were found in his abandoned automobile.

When his wife failed to return home Saturday night, Mr. Hartman notified authorities.

Sheriff Peck, Undersheriff L. Raymond Johndrow and Deputy Sheriff Byron McDermott went to the island to investigate after they were notified of Mr. Steele’s discovery by Dr. Fowkes. Later Assistant District Attorney Roy A. Fuller went to the scene as did Corporal Thorpe and Trooper Rossbrook, B. C. I. James Stage, Clayton chief of police, aided in the investigation.

Mr. Hartman told investigators that he was in the bathroom at his home when his wife left home. Officials later found the keys to the car on the woman’s body.

When discovered, the woman’s body lay over a rock ledge with one leg hanging down in a crevice. Her stocking were torn and there were marks about her face. Physicians said that the face marks may have been results of rigor mortis.

Mrs. Hartman, a Smith college graduate, was formerly a school teacher. A few years ago she was a patient at the St. Lawrence state hospital, Ogdensburg. Last January she entered a private sanatorium at Troy. She returned home from the institution Wednesday.

She and her husband had resided in Theresa but they established their home in this city when she returned from Troy last week.

Mrs. Ruth Hartman was born in this city, Aug. 7, 1908, the daughter of Walter and Cora Timmerman Mattison. Her mother died at her birth and the baby was taken by Mr. and Mrs. Herman House of Orleans and Theresa, to bring up. Mrs. House was a sister of Mrs. Cora Timmerman Mattison.

Mrs. Hartman developed a love for dramatics and her education was along that line. She was graduated from the Theresa High school in June, 1925, and entered Smith college where she was graduated with honors in 1929. She accepted a teaching position at the Philadelphia High school and was with that school for four years.

On Nov. 20, 1930, she was married to Adam J. Hartman of Alexandria and they made their home in Riverside avenue in Theresa. In her high school days she had charge of the church plays of the Methodist Episcopal church here, of which she was a member. In later years, she coached plays for the stage here, presenting plays each year. Last November she presented a play at the town hall under the auspices of one of the church organizations.

She is survived by her husband, and her foster mother, Mrs. Jennie House Lillie, of Riverside avenue, Theresa.

Mrs. Hartman was a member of the Theresa Progress club, of the home bureau, the grange, Theresa Methodist church and Sunday school, being a worker in the Live Wire class.

The funeral services will be held from the Lillie home in Riverside avenue in Theresa on Wednesday at 2 p.m., Rev. W. J. Hancock, former pastor of the Methodist church, Theresa, with Rev. Richard F. Henderson of St. Paul’s Lutheran church at Redwood, officiating.

Burial will be in the family plot in this city.


Mrs. Ruth House Hartman

An inquest into the death of Mrs. Ruth House Hartman, 28, wife of Adam J. Hartman, 139 Michigan avenue, whose body was found on Board island in the St. Lawrence river, near Clayton, Sunday morning, will be held probably Wednesday, Assistant District Attorney Roy A. Fuller said today.

A chemical analysis of the contents of the woman’s stomach is being made by Dr. Thomas T. Walker, pathologist, to determine the cause of the woman’s death and Mr. Fuller was awaiting his report.

Dr. Walker said that his analysis will be completed today or Wednesday. The autopsy showed that the woman was not drowned and revealed no trace of any poison.



Dr. Walker Testifies To Her Condition
Hardening of the Arteries and
Edema of Brain Is Cause, Claim
-- Autopsy of Woman Found on
Island Showed No Trace
of Poison.

Mrs. Ruth House Hartman, 28, wife of Adams J. Hartman, 139 Michigan avenue, whose body was found on Board island in the St. Lawrence river, near Clayton, Sunday morning, died of natural causes, according to the testimony of Dr. Thomas T. Walker given at an inquest held this afternoon by Assistant District Attorney Roy A. Fuller.

Dr. Walker, pathologist at the House of the Good Samaritan and Mercy hospital, who made a chemical analysis of the contents of the woman’s stomach after an autopsy showed that the woman was not drowned and revealed no trace of any poison, said that Mrs. Hartman had arteriosclerosis of the brain and edema of the brain, Mr. Fuller said. The hardening of the arteries and the brain condition caused her death, the doctor testified.

The analysis showed no evidence of any poisoning in the stomach or any evidence of foul play or drowning, Mr. Fuller said the doctor testified that the woman had arterio-sclerosis to a marked degree, which is unusual for a woman of her age, and that condition caused her to have an attack producing mental derangement. The edema of the brain then followed.

Among other witnesses questioned by Mr. Fuller were Charles Steele, Clayton fisherman, who discovered the body, and Chief of Police James Stage of Clayton, who aided in the investigation.

Mr. Fuller reserved his decision in the case, pending the completion of the inquest.

NOTE: A photo of Mrs. Hartman appeared at the lower right corner of the page on which these articles appeared. It was captioned, “DEATH PROBED.”



Members of Theresa Man’s Family
Say He Has Been Subject to
Heart Disease For About Two
Years--Mrs. Vautrin Says He
Came to Door, Ill, and Asked
to Be Admitted

Adam H. Bickelhaupt, 60, proprietor of an automobile sales business and garage at Theresa, dropped dead at about 9:15 Tuesday evening in the apartment of Mrs. Frances C. Vautrin, 212 Court street.

Dr. Harold B. Stowell, who was called to the Vautrin apartment, said that death was caused by an embolism. Members of the family who were called to the apartment said that Mr. Bickelhaupt had been subject to heart disease for about two years.

(A photo of Adam H. Bickelhaupt was inserted between these two paragraphs.)

Patrolment William F. Dana investigated for the police department after Dr. Stowell notified Police Captain W. H. Jewett that Mr. Bickelhaupt had dropped dead at the apartment. District Attorney Carl J. Hynes, who was called by Dr. Stowell, went to the apartment and also investigated.

Mrs. Vautrin told Officer Dana that she and Mrs. Elsie Saunders were sitting in the Vautrin apartment when Mr. Bickelhaupt came to the door, ill, and asked to be admitted. She said the man was gasping for breath and was very pale.

Mr. Bickehaupt was admitted to the apartment and he dropped into a chair, slumping over. Mrs. Saunders caught him and straightened him up in the chair. Mrs. Vautrin went after a drink of water for him, but apparently he was then dead. She summoned the doctor.

Dr. Stowell said he believed the man over-exerted himself in climbing the two flights up the block to the Vautrin apartment and that exertion produced the embolism. The stairs to the apartment are steep and it is believed that his heart was taxed by the long climb.

Dr. Stowell notified members of the family at Theresa and Mr. Bickelhaupt’s son, Albert L. Bickelhaupt of Theresa, came here. Undertaker C. A. Giltz of Theresa took the body back to Theresa.

Mr. Bickelhaupt’s two daughters here, Miss Mary K. Bickelhaupt, supervising nurse at the House of the Good Samaritan, and Miss Freida P. Bickelhaupt, office employe of the hospital, were also called to the apartment.

Mr. Bickelhaupt’s car was found parked at the curb in Court street, a short distance north of the apartment block.

Mr. Bickelhaupt was feeling well Tuesday, members of the family said. He had gone to Syracuse during the day and was on his way home when he was fatally stricken.

He was born on the Bickelhaupt homestead, near Redwood, toward Hammond, on July 27, 1876, a son of Leonard and Susan Betz Bickelhaupt. He operated the homestead prior to moving to Theresa.

He moved to Theresa with the family 14 years ago after selling the homestead farm and then he entered the automobile business. He built the garage on Commercial street and Riverside avenue in Theresa.

In 1930 Mr. Bickelhaupt and his son, Albert, who was associated in business with him, took over the Hubbard garage in Main street, Theresa, known for years as the Stotler block, and they operated that garage also for a short time.

About a year ago the Bickelhaupts also acquired a garage at Redwood. It had been closed the past winter, but was re-opened April 1.

Mr. Bickelhaupt was a member of the Rod and Gun club of Theresa, was a former village trustee of Theresa and a former member of the Kirkland grange of Redwood. He was also a member of the St. Paul’s Lutheran church of Redwood.

He was married twice. His first wife, who was formerly Katharine Quencer of Redwood, died in 1919. On Oct. 3, 1929, he married Daisy J. Johnson of Canandaigua, the ceremony being performed in Newark, N. Y.

Surviving him, besides his widow, are three children, the Misses Mary K. and Frieda (sic)P. Bickelhaupt, city, and Albert L. Bickelhaupt, Theresa; four sisters, Mrs. Margaret Hofferberth, Mrs. Elizabeth Haas, Mrs. Rosette Stine and Mrs. Peter Smith, all of Redwood; a brother, Leonard Bickelhaupt, Hammond, and a granddaughter, Betty Bickelhaupt, Theresa.

Funeral services will be held Friday at 2 p. m. (E.S.T.), at the home. Rev. Richard F. Henderson, pastor of the Lutheran church at Redwood, will officiate. Burial will be made in the Redwood cemetery.



Farmer Had Been Patient in
House of the Good Samaritan
Since May 26--Funeral to Be
Held Monday.

Redwood, June 12. -- Peter J. Smith, 62, farmer and life-long resident of Redwood, died last night at 8, (D.S.T.), in the House of the Good Samaritan, Watertown, where he had been a patient since May 26. Death resulted from a complication of diseases.

He was a brother-in-law of Adam H. Bickelhaupt, 60, Theresa, who dropped dead in Watertown, June 1.

Mr. Smith was active until Jan. 1. He suffered an attack of rheumatic fever about April 25 which was followed by a stroke about two weeks later. He became blind because of his illness.

He was born Feb. 15, 1875, in Redwood, the only child of Stephen and Abbie Ann Smith. On Jan. 19, 1899, he married Mary Bickelhaupt of Redwood in this village, the ceremony being performed by Rev. F. R. Hoffman, then pastor of St. Paul’s Lutheran church of this village.

Mr. Smith was born and had always lived on the Smith homestead here. He had been a farmer virtually all his life.

Surviving him, besides his widow, are two daughters, Mrs. Milton Slate, Redwood, and Mrs. Mina Cheeseman, Theresa; a son, Glenn Smith, Redwood; three grandchildren, Rosemary and Barbara Cheeseman, Theresa, and Wayne Slate, Redwood; an aunt, Mrs. Frances Smith, Hornell, and several cousins.

Funeral services will be held Monday at 1:30 p.m. (E.S.T.), probably at the home. Burial will be made in Brookside cemetery at Plessis.



Plessis, June 7. -- Miss Gladys Evaline Haas, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Haas, Browns Corners town of Alexandria, was married at 10:30 Saturday morning at the Haas home to Robert Charles Hunter, youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. Ross Hunter of the town of Alexandria. Rev. William J. Hancock of Theresa, former local pastor, officiated. The couple was attended by Miss Ida Hunter, sister of the bridegroom and John Slate of Alexandria Bay.

The bride was attired in a smoke blue lace gown and wore a shoulder bouquet aof deep pink roses. Her bridesmaid was attired in a figured gray silk dress and wore a shoulder bouquet of Talisman roses.

Following the ceremony, the wedding party and guests were taken to the Bon Air restaurant directly across the highway where a five courses wedding breakfast was served. The bride’s cake formed the centerpiece of the table at which 18 guests were seated. At the close of the wedding luncheon a birthday cake was placed before the groom, the day being his 22nd birthday.

The bride’s going away outfit was a tailored suit of yellow, with white accessories. The couple left for a week’s stay in the mountains. They will have apartments at Browns Corners upon their return.

The bride is a graduate of the Alexandria Bay High school and Mr. Hunter was also in school there.

The following guests attended: Mr. and Mrs. Ross Hunter, Mrs. Ida Hunter, Mr. and Mrs. Roscoe Hunter, Thomas Hunter, Ida Hunter, Mr. and Mrs. Edward Haas, Miss Ina Haas, Mrs. Frank Parker, John Slate, of Alexandria, and Mr. and Mrs. Charles A. Wilson, grandparents of the bridegroom, and Rev. Mr. and Mrs. William J. Hancock, Theresa.




Redwood, Aug. 21. -- A meeting for the awarding of pins for veteran members of the Lakeside lodge, No. 328, I. O. O. F., was held in the Odd Fellows temple Thursday evening.

Rev. Ernest Bragg of the Methodist church at Oriskany Falls, a past district deputy in this county and still a member of the Lakeside lodge here, gave the presentation address and presented the pins. The following were in attendance to receive them:

George M. Eddy, 40 years a member; Carl O. Bickelhaupt, 35 years; M. J. Jewett, Dr. Elmer E. Eddy, C. Theobald, Earl Springer, C. A. Overacker, C. Newman, J. F. Dooley, all 30 years; Claude Simpson, Clarence Kabel, D. J. Gates, J. P. Johnson, Fred Shannon, Albert Hawkins and Fred Hofferberth, all 25 years.

Albert King is the present noble grand.



(headline missing) - (1937)
Celebration of Founding of Lodge to Be Held This Month

Redwood, June 12. -- The Lakeside lodge of Odd Fellows, No. 328, of this village, this month will celebrate the 30th anniversary of its founding with a program which will include the awarding of 30-year pins to the early members and also quarter century pins to those who have been members for 25 years.

The members also will dedicate their property, a block of their own, located on the main street. The building now owned by the Odd Fellows is the former Redwood Baptist church, moved from its first location near the school building to the main street and put on the historic glass factory site.

The four members of the lodge who have the longest record as Odd Fellows are: A. D. Francois, Watertown; George E. Eddy, Clayton, and F. Stevens and Carl Bickelhaupt, of Redwood. The following are 30-year members; E. D. Springer, C. A. Overacker, C. Clarence Newman, M. H. Jewett, John Dooley, Dr. E. E. Eddy, Carl Theobold, E. H. Skinner and H. G. Ahles. Those who will receive 25-year pins are: C. J. Kabel, B. L. Hawkins, C. Simpson, D. J. Gates, F. Hofferberth, J. Felder, J. P. Johnston and Fred Shannon.

The charter members were: Frank Keeler, George A. Crawford, Carl Bickelhaupt, F. H. Picket, Fred B. Suits, F. S. Batchelder, George H. Greeney, G. C. Tanner, William A. Laidlaw, Edwin E. Suits, A. A. Storie and W. D. Francois. Our first officers were: Frank P. Keeler, N. G.; Carl Bickelhaupt, V. G.; A. A. Stories, R. S.; J. A. Crawford, F. S.; G. C. Tanner, treasurer; G. M. Holmes, con.; E. E. Suits, W.; William Laidlaw, chaplain; Fred Suits, R. S. S.; Charles Curtis, L. S. S.; Frank Pickert, I. G.; Albert Burrows, O. C.; Ada Bickelhaupt, R. S. N. G.; George Greeney, R. S. V. G.; E. D. Francois, L. S. V. G.; with Dr. E. E. Eddy, Adam Bickelhaupt and W. W. Holmes as trustees.

The present officers are: Albert King, N. G.; Bert Schneider, V. G.; Carl Theobold, R. S.; Olin Spies, F. S.; Morris Jewett treasurer; Worthington Simpson, con.; Harold George, warden; Burton Hawkins, chaplin; Virgil Reynolds, L. S. S.; Raymond Spalisbury, R. S. S.; Earl Springer, I. G.; Fred Hunneyman, O. G.; John Putman, R. S. G. N.; Carl Bickelhaupt, L. S. N. G.; Harold Simpson, R. S. V. G.; Hubert Collins, L. S. N. G.; with B. L. Hawkins, Clarence Kabel and Charles Overacker as trustees.

Carl Theobold has served as recording secretary since Jan. 1, 1918, and Morris Jewett as treasurer since July 1, 1921. The following have served as noble grands: Frank Keeler, Frank Pickert, Carl Bickelhaupt, W. Simpson, Everett Ferguson, Rev. Ernest Bragg, Walter Ferguson, Howard Handschuh. Howard Robinson, John A. Putman, Albert King, Walter Johnson, Claude Simpson, Earl Springer, Bruce Bates, Dwight Gates, Clarence Kabel, B. L. Hawkins, Fred Hofferberth, J. P. Johnson, Charles Overacker, W. W. Holmes, A. A. Stories, H. W. Lester, George Pilger, Clarence Newman, Morris Jewett, Adams (sic) Bickelhaupt, Dr. E. E. Eddy and Carl Theobold.



Ceremony Takes Place at Home of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Steacy
Couple Will Live at Philadelphia After Trip in the South

Theresa, June 17. -- In a ceremony at 11 this morning at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Steacy, Miss Maude Dillingham, the daughter of Mrs. May Dillingham and the late George Dillingham, and Robert G. Matthews, son of S. J. Matthews and the late Emma Daab Matthews of Depauville, were joined in marriage by Rev. Clarence Stearns of West Stockholm.

The bridal party marched into the parlor to the strains of Lohengrin's wedding march played by Miss Grace Daab, cousin of the bridegroom. Miss Daab also sand a solo, "I Love You Truly."

The bride was given in marriage by her brother, Chelsea Dillingham of Syracuse. The couple was attended by Miss Wilma Hoover, commercial teacher in the Morristown High school, and Edwin Matthews, brother of the bridegroom of Depauville.

The bride wore a white net lace gown and matching accessories and carried a bouquet of pink roses and baby's breath. The bridesmaid was attired in pink lace with matching accessories and carried a bouquet of sweet peas.

Mrs. Matthews is a graduate of the Theresa High school and the Ogdensburg training class. She also attended Oswego State Normal school, finishing in 1933. During her normal school course she became a member of "Nu Sigma Chi" sorority. She has taught for seven years in the rural schools in the vicinity of Theresa, and is president of the Theresa Rural Teacher's organization. She has been engaged to teach at the Douglas Crossing school next year.

Mr. Matthews spent his early life at Depauville with his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Daab. He attended Alexandria Bay High school, being graduated in 1932. He completed a business course at Delbert's Private school, Philadelphia, in June, 1934. He has a position in the office of W. S. Hubbard, distributor for the Gulf Oil corporation, where he has been employed for a year.

Following the ceremony, Miss Grace Daab played Mendelssohn’s “Wedding March.” The wedding party and guests were given a luncheon and Mr. and Mrs. Frank Steacy and Mrs. May Dillingham were host and hostesses. A tenor solo, “In the Garden,” was sung by Frank Haskin.

Those present were: Mr. and Mrs. C. A. Dillingham of Syracuse; Mr. and Mrs. S. J. Matthews and children, Paul, Jennie, Lois and Spencer, and Edwin Matthews of Depauville; Mr. and Mrs. Henry Daab of Lafargeville; Rev. and Mrs. Clarence Stearns of West Stockholm; the Misses Marian and Gladys Wyman of Rodman; Mrs. Anna Daab Smith of Hartford, Conn.; Mr. and Mrs. Fernando Roca of Rensselaer Falls; Miss Rachel Merritt of Canton; Mr. and Mrs. Fred Daab and daughter, Grace, Miss Wilma Hoover and Frank Haskin of Theresa and the bridal couple, host and hostesses.

Mr. and Mrs. Matthews left shortly after the luncheon for a trip to Niagara Falls, Mammoth Cave, Ken., and through West Virginia, stopping some time in the city of Washington, returning by New York City and points along the Hudson. After July 1 the couple will be at home to their friends in Philadelphia.

Note: A photo of Mrs. R. G. Matthews was included with the write-up.




Lafargeville, July 28. -- Mrs. Edna Bretsch Holloway, 53, wife of Glenn Holloway of this village, died at 2 a.m. today in the Hepburn hospital at Ogdensburg, where she had been a patient three weeks.

Mrs. Holloway was born Sept. 16, 1884, in the town of Alexandria, a daughter of David and Ella Snell Bretsch. She spent her girlhood in Alexandria.

Surviving are her husband, Glenn Holloway; her daughter, Mrs. Robert MacNann, Summit, N. J.; and her parents, who live in Plessis.

Funeral services will be held from the Holloway residence in Lafargeville Friday at 2 p.m., E. S. T., Rev. William D. Aubrey, Methodist Episcopal pastor of Omar, will officiate. Burial will be made in Plessis cemetery.



Washington, June 29. -- President Roosevelt sent to the senate Monday the name of Gaylord W. Fraser, Black Rier, N. Y., for appointment as a second lieutenant in the regular army. He was one of 50 reserve officers to receive such an appointment. The 50 were selected after competitive examinations among 1,000 reserve officers who have been on active duty for a year.


Black River, June 29. -- Lieutenant Fraser is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Peter W. Fraser* of this village. He is 25 years old. He is a native of this village and after being graduated from the Black River High school went to Wanakena where he studied for a year at the state ranger school. Later he went to Syracuse university where he entered the college of forestry. He was graduated from the university in 1935 and since that time has served at army camps as a reserve officer. He was a member of the Reserve Officers Training corps while at Syracuse university. For the past year he has been stationed at Fort Hamilton where he is at the present time. While in Black River, he served as assistant scoutmaster of the boy scout troop.

Lieutenant Fraser spent two weeks with his parents here this month and returned to Fort Hamilton June 22.

Typist’s Note: A name was pencilled atop the Black River article (above) -- it read, “Ethel Porter,” and “Mrs. Peter W. Fraser” was underlined.



(headline missing) (1937)

Redwood, July 27. -- Edwin Hartman, 61, died at 3:15 p.m. Monday a few minutes after he was thrown 15 feet to a concrete floor while working on a barn at Mrs. Addie Laidlaw’s farm in Hammond. Mr. Hartman was engaged at the time in pulling a barn together with a turnbuckle. His clothing became entangled and he was thrown to the concrete floor where he suffered a fractured skull and a broken neck. Dr. T. A. Lewis of Hammond attended him.

Mr. Hartman was born May 28, 1875, at the Augsbury farm on the Plessis road, the son of Henry Hartman and Mary Eckert. He married Miss Beulah Cole, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Charles Cole of Hammond, June 20, 1917. The wedding took place at the bride’s home and was performed by Rev. H. B. Krusa, former pastor.

Mr. Hartman had been engaged as a carpenter since 1921. He first came to Redwood 40 years ago and lived with his mother until his marriage in 1917. He was a member of the Kirkland grange, St. Paul’s Lutheran church of Redwood and was town assessor for six years.

He is survived by his wife; two brothers, George Hartman of Morristown and Henry Hartman of Redwood; one sister, Mrs. Margaret Flath of Redwood, and several nieces and nephews.

Funeral services will be held Thursday at 1:30 p.m. from the home and at 2 p.m. from St. Paul’s church. Rev. R. F. Henderson, pastor, will officiate. Interment will be in Redwood cemetery.



(five successive articles)

(headline missing)

Injured While at Work on New Bridge at Collins Landing

Collins Landing Man in Critical
Condition--Chip of Steel Flies
From 16-Pound Sledge Hammer
and Enters Brain Through Eye Cavity
--Surgeon Unable to Remove Splinter.

Louis Kenyon, 21, of Collins Landing, is in a critical condition in Mercy hospital with a brain injury received shortly after 5 Tuesday afternoon when a flying chip of steel from a 16-pound sledge hammer entered his face and lodged in the brain while he was working at the scene of the construction of the new International bridge at Collins Landing.

Dr. William Perrine VanWagenen of Rochester, noted brain surgeon, who was called here Tuesday evening after it was found that the nature of the injury was one requiring special skill, performed an extensive operation on the young man today, assisted by Dr. Harlow G. Farmer, in an effort to save his life.

The patient’s condition is so critical, physicians said, that he will probably die and should he live, it was also announced, he will probably lose the sight of his right eye.

Dr. VanWagenen, with Dr. Farmer, began the operation, described as “very delicate” and “one of the most extensive,” at about 10 this morning after the particle of steel was located by X-ray pictures. After the long, tedious operation, concluded at about 2:30 this afternoon, physicians announced that they were unsuccessful in their attempts to remove the steel chip.

Dr. VanWagenen, whose skill as a surgeon is widely recognized, is neuro-surgeon of the Strong Memorial hospital and the Genesee hospital in Rochester. He arrived here at 2 this morning to perform the unusual operation on Kenyon.

From time to time as the operation progressed, various physicians stepped into the operating room to watch the famous specialist and Dr. Farmer at work. Among them were Dr. Arthur L. Tinkess, eye physician, who had been called into the case; Dr. Harold L. Gokey, Alexandria Bay, who first attended the patient; Dr. E. W. Roberts and Dr. G. J. GianFranceschi, city, and several others.

At the time of the accident, Kenyon, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Gordon Kenyon of Avery avenue, Alexandria Bay, was working under H. A. Rosevear, superintendent in charge of construction for the Dominion Construction company of Canada, which has the contract for the erection of the American span of the International bridge at Collins Landing.

Kenyon was one of the group of men employed on the second shift--from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m.--and was working on the Wellesley Island side of the bridge, opposite pier 29, which is near the (incomplete sentence/paragraph).

Workmen have been building a temporary road to be used for transportation purposes during the bridge construction. Previously, workers had dynamited some rocks in building the road and they were leveling off the road.

Wielding the 18-pound sledge hammer, Kenyon was one of the men breaking up the rocks to be removed from the road. It was while he was pounding on a rock with the heavy hammer that a particle of steel, measuring about an eight of an inch long and of about the same width, broke off the head of the hammer and struck him in the face.

The steel splinter, flying at a terrific speed, entered the cavity just below the right eye, pierced the brain and imbedded itself far back at the base of the brain. Physicians said that the foreign body probably severed the blood vessels in connection with the eye and may have completed destroyed the sight of the eye.

Kenyon became unconscious. The only known witness to the accident was Gerald Sprague, who was working nearby. The injured man was brought to the mainland. Earl Wade, timekeeper for the Dominion Construction company, brought him to Dr. Gokey’s office at Alexandria Bay, who gave first aid treatment.

Kenyon was then brought to Watertown by Giltz’s ambulance of Alexandria Bay, and was admitted to the hospital at 8:10 p.m. Later it was decided to enlist the services of Dr. VanWagenen and the Rochester surgeon was called. The injured man was still unconscious at the hospital this afternoon.

Kenyon was married May 12, last, and he and his wife, Mrs. Jean Kenyon, have been residing at Collins Landing. He started to work for the Dominion Construction company July 21. Previously he worked for John Patchin in the building of tourists cabins at Collins Landing.


(a portion of the headline missing)


Whether Louis Kenyon, 21, Collins Landing, Will Undergo Another Brain Operation in
Attempt to Remove Steel Chip,Depends on Condition.

Although still in a critical state, Louis Kenyon, 21, of Collins Landing, who is in Mercy hospital with a splinter of steel in his brain, was in fair condition at the hospital today.

Physicians said that his condition seemed to be better than they expected after the extensive, four-and-a-half hour operation performed Wednesday by Dr. W. P. VanWagenen of Rochester, assisted by Dr. H. G. Farmer, in an unsuccessful effort to remove the steel sliver from his brain.

The youth, injured late Tuesday afternoon while engaged in road work in connection with the construction of the new International bridge at Collins Landing, was still in a coma today. Physicians said he was only partly conscious.

Dr. VanWagenen, who had been called here to perform the unusual operation, returned to Rochester Wednesday afternoon.

Whether Kenyon will undergo another brain operation will depend on the progress of his condition.

The flying steel chip entered Kenyon’s face through the cavity just below the right eye, pierced the brain and lodge itself in the base of the brain. The accident happened when the chip broke off a 16-pound sledge hammer while he was pounding on a rock.

Kenyon was working for the Dominion Construction Company, Inc., whose principal office is at Niles, Mich. The work at Collins Landing is in charge of George Houston, superintendent, of Glendale, Calif. H. A. Rosevear is secretary of the company, operating out of the Niles, Mich., office.



Louis Kenyon, 21, Loses His Right
Eye--He Was Injured Aug. 17
When Chip of Steel From Hammer Entered His Head.

Louis Kenyon, 21, of Collins Landing, the International Bridge worker who had a piece of steel imbedded in his brain from Aug. 17 until Aug. 23, when it was removed in the Strong Memorial hospital, Rochester, underwent an operation in Mercy hospital this morning in which his right eye was removed.

The sight of the eye was completely destroyed in the accident in which the steel sliver penetrated his brain and physicians finally found it necessary to remove it.

Today’s operation was performed by Dr. Arthur L. Tinkess. The sight of the young man’s left eye is not damaged, it was announced. Later an artificial eye will be inserted. Mr. Kenyon’s condition was announced as favorable.

Mr. Kenyon was injured Aug. 17 when a flying chip of steel from a 16-pound sledge hammer entered his face and lodged in the brain. He was working at the scene of the construction of the bridge at Collins Landing, breaking up rocks.

The chip broke off the hammer, entered the cavity just below the right eye, pierced the brain and imbedded itself far back at the base of the brain. An unsuccessful operation was performed at Mercy hospital to remove the particle of steel. Dr. W. P. Van Wagenen of Rochester, noted brain surgeon, and Dr. H. G. Farmer performed the operation. The foreign body severed the blood vessels in connection with the right eye and totally destroyed its sight.

On Aug. 23 the patient was transferred to the Rochester hospital and on Aug. 25 Dr. Van Wagenen performed the operation in which he removed the steel splinter.

About ten days ago Mr. Kenyon returned to the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Gordon Kenyon, at their home on Avery avenue, Alexandria Bay. He has been able to walk about and converse with friends in the village.

Wearing a patch over his right eye, he was admitted to Mercy hospital again late Tuesday afternoon to have the eye removed.

For a time after the accident Mr. Kenyon’s condition was so critical that his recovery was doubted, but his condition is now progressing favorably.



The condition of Louis Kenyon, 21, Collins Landing, who underwent a delicate operation at Strong Memorial hospital, Rochester, a week ago Wednesday for the removal of a splinter of steel lodged at the base of his brain is progressing satisfactorily and his recovery is now expected.

Kenyon was injured on the afternoon of Aug. 17, while working at the scene of the construction of the new international bridge at Collins Landing. He was breaking rocks with a 16-pound sledge hammer when a steel sliver broke off the head of the hammer and flew in his face. The splinter entered through the cavity below the right eye and after piercing the brain became deeply imbedded far back in the base of the brain.

Following the accident Kenyon was removed to Mercy hospital in this city where Dr. William Perrine Van Wagenen, Rochester brain surgeon, assisted by Dr. Harlow G. Farmer, city, performed an operation in a futile attempt to remove the steel.

A week ago Monday Kenyon was removed to the Rochester hospital so that he might be under the personal care of the brain surgeon. The second operation was performed and according to information received by Dr. Farmer was successful in that the splinter was removed.



Charles A. Shepherd, City, Is Awarded $240 for Finger Injury
and Robert Durant City, $56--
Referee Mark Kelly Continues 37 Cases

Louis Kenyon, 22, of Collins Landing, whose right eye was removed in October, 1937, about a month after a piece of steel entered his brain while he was working on the International Bridge for the Dominion Construction company, was awarded $1,920 for loss of the eye by Referee Mark C. Kelly, Syracuse, at the bi-monthly session of compensation court at the state armory Tuesday. The case was continued for another award for facial disfigurement.




Bridegroom Is District Supervisor of Federal Land Bank
--Ceremoney Is Performed in Ithaca.

Ithaca, Sept. 30. --Miss Eloise C. Irish, Watertown, Jefferson county home demonstration agent, and Oscar G. Agne, Watertown, district supervisor of the Federal Land Bank, were married here at noon Wednesday in the rectory of the Church of the Immaculate Conception, Rev. William Byrne, pastor of the church, officiated.

The bride, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John M. Irish, 420 East State street, this city, was given in marriage by her father. She wore a wine colored velvet gown and carried a bouquet of Talisman roses and blue delphinium. Her sister, Miss Helen Irish, Ithaca, was maid of honor, and was attired in a dark blue velvet dress and carried red roses. Walter K. Agne of Verona, brother of the bridegroom, was the best man.

Church decorations for the ceremony were white, brown and red chrysanthemums.

An informal reception took place at the home of the bride’s parents for the immediate families and a few close friends. The couple left on a wedding trip by motor and will reside in Watertown.

Besides the members of the wedding party and the bridegroom’s mother, Mrs. Caroline Agne, of Verona, out-of-town guests at the wedding were Mr. Agne’s sisters, the Misses Mary Agne, Verona, and Minnie Agne, Rome, and Mr. and Mrs. Roy W. Parker, Watertown.

She was graduated from the College of Home Economics, Cornell university, Ithaca, in 1927 with a B. S. degree. Following her graduation she attended the summer session of Cornell and the University of Wisconsin. Before coming to Watertown she had been at Malone for some time as home demonstration agent of Franklin county. She had also held a similar position in Schuyler county.

Mr. Agne is widely known throughout northern New York. He was born on a farm in Oneida county and after receiving his preliminary education entered the Morrisville School of Agriculture from which he was graduated in 1915. After that he spent two years farming in a partnership with his brother.

In December, 1923, Mr. Agne came to this county as farm bureau manager to succeed William I. Roe and remained in that position for over five years. Previous to coming to Watertown he has served two years as an official tester in cow testing association work, two and a half year with the Empire Cream Separator company and for a year and a half had been assistant county farm bureau agent in Oneida county.

Mr. Agne resigned as farm bureau manager in April, 1929, to accept a position with the Dairymen’s League Cooperative association. He was first stationed with the Binghamton district of the league but later was transferred to Potsdam where he was director of the company’s consolidated office. He had also directed field operations of the League at Buffalo, Oneonta, and Erie, Pa.

After four years with the Dairymen’s League, Mr. Agne resigned that position to become affiliated with the Federal Land Bank, Springfield, Mass., as field agent with offices in this city. In 1935 he was promoted to district supervisor of the northern district of the state, with headquarters at Canton. The district office was removed from Canton to this city early in 1936 and is now located in the Light & Power building. Mr. Agne’s district covers Jefferson, Lewis, St. Lawrence, Franklin, Clinton and Essex counties.

Typist’s Note: Individual photos of the couple were included with the write-up.


MR. & MRS. ELMER F. SNELL -- 50th Wedding Anniversary

Plessis Couple Observes 50th Wedding Anniversary
Mr. and Mrs. Elmer F. Snell
Retired Farmers, Given Party by 35 Neighbors Thanksgiving Day.

Plessis, Nov. 27. -- Thanksgiving day 50 years ago was much like Thursday, only colder, say Mr. and Mrs. Elmer F. Snell of this village. The reason they remember the day so well is because they were married on that day, Nov. 24, 1887.

Thirty-five neighbors came to the Snell home to celebrate the golden wedding Thursday.

“I remember the day perfectly,” said Mr. Snell, “for we drove to Theresa from our home in Backus Settlement in Alexandria and at the Getman house we met by arrangement Rev. G. F. Hartwig, pastor of the Lutheran church at Redwood, and were married there. My brother, Gordon Snell, who now resides directly across the street from me, was the best man and Minnie Zimmer was bridesmaid. The Getman house served the wedding dinner in a private dining room. Our wedding trip was a drive to Watertown and return with the horse and buggy.”

Wednesday Mr. and Mrs. Snell were taken to Clayton to have an anniversary dinner with their son, Ralph Snell, their daughter, Miss Gertrude Snell, Lafargeville, joining them on the way. They returned to Plessis only to find that the anniversary celebration had just started.

Elmer F. Snell’s ancestors were natives of the Lake Champlain region. Frederick Snell, Plattsburgh, served in the war of 1812. He had a son, Frederick, born in Herkimer county Oct. 2, 1801. When he was yet a boy the family moved to near Lowville and still later on the Military road near Chauftys Corners, Theresa. There Denacious Snell was born May 15, 1840. Denacious married Maria Petrie, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Petrie, and to them Elmer was born June 21, 1865.

Mrs. Snell is the daughter of Adam and Christine Hartman, the family having come from Germany with the pioneer Bickelhaupt family.

They located in Alexandria, becoming successful farmers. Mrs. Snell, formerly Katherine Hartman, was born July 5, 1864, and resided near the Snell family in her youthful years.

Mr. and Mrs. Snell began farming near DeLaFarges Corners and continued on the farm until 1926 when they came to Plessis and Mr. Snell took charge of the Plessis cemetery. They were formerly members of the grange. They are members of the Lafargeville Methodist Protestant church.

They have two children, Ralph of Clayton, who has two children, and Gertrude Snell of Lafargeville. Gertrude was for a number of years a school teacher. Mr. Snell has two brothers, Gordon of this village and Rev. Clarence Snell, for 35 years a missionary in South America. He now resides at Baton Rouge, La., where a sister, Gertrude, resides and is connected with a mission school.




Rev. U. B. Grant, Rev. E. D. Topping and Rev. C. T. Holcombe Officiate at Services at
Theresa Church For Late Clergyman.

Theresa, Dec. 20. -- Ministers of the Northern New York conference and local pastors paid tribute to the late Rev. W. J. Hancock Sunday afternoon at the Methodist church here, when they clasped hands and sang “Blest Be the Tie that Binds,” while standing around the casket.

In the circle were Rev. Charles T. Holcombe, district superintendent; Rev. B. G. Miller, Rev. E. O. Spavin, Rev. M. P. Beach, Rev. W. G. Wilmshurst, Rev. Condit Eddy of Watertown; Rev. Louis Bruce, Plessis; Rev. Harold A. Thomas, Gouverneur; Rev. A. D. Rich, Hammond; Rev. Allen Moore, Evans Mills; Rev. Joseph W. Barrett, Great Bend; Rev. E. D. Topping, Constantia; Rev. Royal B. Fishbeck, Clayton; Rev. Donald Cobb, Philadelphia; Rev. Frank Mindham, Mannsville; Rev. Charles G. Cady, Rev. W. Sheldon Bishop and Rev. U. B. Grant of Theresa. The clergy sat in the middle of the church and at the left sat Mrs. Bruce, Mrs. Holcombe, Mrs. Hastings and Mrs. _____(torn off) ____.

The body was brought to the church at noon where it was placed in front of the altar and the nine trustees of the church formed a guard of honor. The trustees, Dr. Byron Haskin, W. W. Tilley, George C. Eddy, A. A. French, Charles A. Wilson, Howard Whitford, Ernest G. Cook, P. D. Purdy and William Dudley took turns during the two hours and a half before the funeral. During the last half hour the organ played favorite hymns of Rev. Mr. Hancock. Mrs. Grace Bulson was the organist.

Rev. Mr. Grant, pastor of the church, read the opening Scripture. Rev. Mr. Topping read three favorite poems of Rev. Mr. Hancock. Rev. Mr. Holcombe gave the closing prayer. A hymn was sung by Frank Haskin.

The bearers, Philip Petrie, Guy Huddleston, Carl Huddleston, Robert Matthews, William Tenney and Sherman Tilley, fore the casket between a double file of ministers and trustee.

The body was placed in the Oakwood cemetery vault here to await burial in Mannsville in the spring.




Man Clings to Tour Boat But Slips Off
--Tourist Calls For Help
--Dr. Gokey Attributes Death to a Heart Attack.

Alexandria Bay, Sept. 1. -- F. Leroy Rappole, 49, life long resident of this village and ticket salesman for the War Boat Lines this summer died suddenly of heart failure while in swimming off the Thousand Island House dock here Tuesday afternoon about 2:30.

Mr. Rappole, after working at the Thousand Island house lawn all day, went swimming shortly after 2, a practice he had followed daily for the past week. He swam down along the Cornwall dock, past a tour boat, idle between trips and turned back, after having covered a distance of about 40 feet.

On his return swim, according to George E. Mooseberger, a tourist from Auburn who was sitting on the stone parapet on the Thousand Island house dock, Mr. Rappole slowed up considerably when swimming back and he took hold of the prow of the tour boat to support himself. He sank suddenly in a doubled-up position, it was said.

Mr. Mooreberger called help and Norman Bradberry, another ticket salesman employed by Mr. Ward, dove in after Mr. Rappole. On bringing him to the surface employes of the postoffice assisted Mr. Bradberry in taking Mr. Rappole from the water.

Dr. H. L. Gokey was called and pronounced Mr. Rappole’s death as having been caused by heart failure. The district attorney’s office was notified and Dr. Gokey was appointed coroner’s physician.

Mr. Rappole had been working for the War Boat Line since July 1. He appeared in good health throughout the summer, working steadily each day without time off for sickness.

For the past four years Mr. Rappole had carried the mail under government contract between this village and Redwood. Prior to his employment as mail carrier, Mr. Rappole represented the St. Lawrence Wholesale grocery company as a salesman in Jefferson county and before that ran a grocery store near James street.

Frank Leroy Rappole was born in the town of Alexandria, Aug. 13, 1888, the son of Frank R. Rappole and Adelaide Rappole. He attended the local grammar school and high school. On graduation from high school Mr. Rappole went to work for S. J. Vrooman and Company here as a clerk and he soon became a partner in the firm. He was a partner in S. J. Brooman until 1917 when the firm was dissolved.

Mr. Rappole then went to work for the St. Lawrence Wholesale Grocery company as a traveling salesman for Jefferson county and he accumulated a host of friends amongst the retailers of Northern New York in his 13 years experience on the road with his firm.

Four years ago, on the dissolution of the St. Lawrence Wholesale Grocery company, Mr. Rappole took over the contract to carry the mail between this village and Redwood, a contract he held until July 1st of this year.

Mr. Rappole is survived by his wife, Belle Chidester Rappole of this villge, and a son, John Rappole of Buffalo. He is also survived by two sisters, Mrs. Kate Brocker of Plessis and Mrs. Jessie Parrish of Fulton, and one brother, Lewis Rappole of Philadelphia.

Funeral services will be held from the home on Walton street at 2 Thursday afternoon with the Rev. Earl D. Compton, pastor of the local reformed church, officiating. Burial will be made in the Plessis cemetery.



Gouverneur, Sept. 18. -- Sergeant Paul McGuiness and Trooper Robert Lipton of the Gouverneur state police patrol were called to Wegatchie, six miles from this village. Thursday night, when four men threatened to attack Donald Peck, a deputy sheriff. Peck started to arrest the men (for) disorderly conduct, when the men began striking at him. Leonard Sims called the troopers from Gouverneur by telephone.

The men were arrested, and were arraigned before Justice B. J. McGrain at Wegatchie early Friday morning. Raymond C. Williams of R. D. 1 Lafargeville, Richard W. Felder of Plessis, and Harry J. Booth of Theresa, were fined $10 each for disorderly conduct. Floyd L. Griffith of R. D. 5, Gouverneur, was fined $5 for disorderly conduct.




Philadelphia, Oct. 25. -- Miss Julia Margaret Simonds and Harry Everett Stevenson, both of Theresa, were married Sunday evening at 9:15 by Rev. E. E. Cheeseman at his home on Church street, this village. The witnesses to the ceremony were Miss Anna I. Kirkland and Miss Althea F. Cheeseman, both of this village.

The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Donald Leo Simonds of Theresa. She attended the schools of that village and at one time Deibert’s school in this village. Mr. Stevenson, also a native of Theresa, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Stevenson, is a laborer.





(headline missing)
Bride Is Daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edwin A. Drake and Has Been
Employed as Secretary to Potsdam Bank President

Phildelphia, Oct. 15. -- A pretty ceremony took place Wednesday morning at 10 when Miss Varena Marlene Drake and Roy E. Simonds were married by Rev. Benjamin F. Staie in the presence of immediate relatives.

The ceremony took place at the home of the bride’s parents in Clark street and the ceremony was opened by a solo, “O Promise Me” and sung by Mrs. Chester Drake, sister-in-law of the bride, accompanied by Mrs. Harry White at the piano, and following this the bridal procession proceeded to the parlor to the strains of Lohengrin’s wedding march. The bride was given by her father. The ceremony was performed under an archway of ferns, autumn leaves and bronze and yellow chrysanthemums.

The bride was attired in a mulberry chiffon velvet dress and wore a turban to match. She carried a bride’s bouquet of white roses. She was attended by her sister, Miss Veronica Drake who wore a royal blue satin gown with matching turban and carried a bouquet of yellow roses. The bridegroom wore a suit of blue and was attended by his brother, Carl Simonds of Antwerp.

Following the ceremony, while congratulations were being received, Mrs. Chester Drake rendered, “I Love You Truly.” Both Mrs. Drake, mother of the bride and Mrs. Simonds, mother of the bridegroom were attired in brown and wore corsage bouquets of Talisman roses.

A sumptuous wedding breakfast was served in the dining room, which was trimmed with yellow and white and white asters. A feature of the meal was the beautiful green and white wedding cake made by Miss Jennie Brace.

The bride is the third daughter of Edwin A. and Mary Hagen Drake. She was born here and received her education and was graduated from the Philadelphia High school with the class of 1923. She attended the Carthage Training class and was a teacher for a number of years in the community schools, and then she attended and graduated from Deibert’s Private Business school and for the past six and one-half years she held a responsible position as private secretary to the president of the People’s bank of Potsdam.

Mr. Simonds is a son of Mrs. Florence and the late George Simonds of this place. For the past twelve years he has been employed as a driver on the Eastern Greyhound Bus lines.

Mrs. Simonds’ going away apparel was black trimmed with white and matching accessories. The couple left by auto for a week’s wedding trip to Albany and through the New England states, and upon their return they will make their home at 505 Washington street, Watertown.

Those who attended the wedding were Mr. and Mrs. Edwin A. Drake, Edson Drake, Mr. and Mrs. Chester Drake and son, Dean, Miss Veronica Drake and Mrs. Harry White of Potsdam, Mr. and Mrs. Bernard Dwyer of Evans Mills, Mr. and Mrs. Clement Larcomb and children, Alice and Robert of Adams, Miss Mabel Drake of Watertown, Rev. B. F. Staie of Antwerp, Mr. and Mrs. William G. Fikes, Mrs. Florence Simonds, Miss Grace Simonds, Fred Simonds and Carl Simonds of this place.



Plessis Grange Wins First Prize in Parade
--Float Depicting Take-Off on W. P. A. Takes Prize.

Plessis, Aug. 23. --Plessis grange No. 629 won the first prize of $3 for the best appearing float in the parade Friday at the Plessis fire department’s annual field day. Upon the large truck, cedar trimmed, was a throne chair in the center, and at each corner of the truck was a young woman representing north, east, south and west. The master, Mrs. Lena Schneider, Evelyn Wills, Marjorie Mellon, Helen Farrell, Delia Forrester and Betty Hart were the characters.

A take-off on the W. P. A. was given in another first prize rig, a horse-drawn wagon in which Ernest, John and George Helmer and Harold Reynolds took part. The man with the pick had a machine to lift the pick, which fell into the mound by its own weight. The boss was asleep on the straw with an umbrella over his head.

The Theresa town fire department won the first prize of $5 by having the most men in line in uniform. Redwood won the first prize of $5 for the best appearing fire department.

The Community club of Plessis won first prize for the best decorated car and Pauline Schneyder won second prize. Horatio Norton won the prize for the oldest auto in line. Veneta Hinman as a cowgirl won the prize for the best appearing woman rider. Guy Bates, on a big iron-grey horse took first as best man rider. Paul Hunter with the fattest pony, won first, Henry Putman won first as the best clown, and Jean House was first as rider of the best decorated bicycle. Mrs. Mildred Brown and Mrs. Manford Hagen, Lafargeville, appeared a mother leading her daughter to bed. The mother and daughter, dressed in night-gowns and with candles, drew applause. Ronald Hunter, as a country girl, and Lloyd Elliott, as a dude, won a prize.

The judges were Dr. Elmer Eddy and John Spies of Redwood and Leland Collins of Omar.

There was a hint of the milk strike in the parade for a truck bearing the slogans to eat union butter and cheese and drink union milk, received applause. Virginia West and Loumary Herbison appeared as bride and groom, and a colored troupe consisting of Fern Richardson, Norine Richardson and Helen Cuthbertson, was in line. The parade was led by Henry Zimmer mounted, bearing the stars and stripes.

In the line was a new combine harvester, owned by Henry Zimmer and brother and in use on the Augsbury farm here. Howard Felder rode farm horse owned by Louis Zimmer. Mrs. Myrtle Smith of Theresa had a decorated car in line, with several others from Plessis. The 35-pice Lafargeville High school band, directed by Thurston T. Lewis, headed the parade and played throughout the day.

Directly after the parade a program of sports, which included a 100 yard dash for boys, 50 yard dash for girls, potato race, sack race, tug of war, three-legged races and other events, was run off in front of the grange hall. A chicken dinner was served at noon in the grange hall. The day’s events closed with a dance at night. A baseball game was played in the afternoon on the Plessis field between Alexandria Bay and Brier Hill.



Return to Jefferson County NYGenWeb page

Return to Jefferson County Tidbits

Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project

If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.

Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page