We are indebted to Leon Hunter for allowing us to copy his mother's scrapbook, and particularly, once again, to Shirley Farone for retyping all this. Shirley does most of the formatting, also, leaving us with an easy upload. Thanks, Shirley and Leon! The original scrapbook is now in the Northern New York Agricultural Museum, of which Leon is a trustee. Marguerite Raineri, the director, has made the scrapbooks available to us.
Part: 1, Part: 2, Part: 3, Part: 4, Part: 5, Part: 6, Part: 7, Part: 8
(photo of Mrs. Nettie Cranker and Mrs. Nellie Petrie)
The fact that Jefferson county’s oldest twins are 75 years old is somewhat of a distinction in itself, but add to their combined 150 years a similar total for their two brothers and you have a grand total that is seldom equaled in one family.
The twins, Mrs. Nettie Cranker of Alexandria Bay, left, and Mrs. Nellie Petrie of Pamelia passed the three-quarter century mark just six months ago today.
However, they take a back seat in the march of time to their brother, Millard Snow of Pamelia, who outranks them in longevity by 10 years. Together, the quartet boasts of an even three centuries of life on Mother Earth.
Black River Couple Wed:
(captioned a photo of Mr. and Mrs. Gaylord H. Fraser)
(penciled in by scrapbook keeper: "Ethel Porter Fraser")
Miss Marion E. Maxim, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harry H. Maxim, and Second Lieut. Gaylord H. Fraser, son of Mr. and Mrs. P. H. Fraser, Black River, were wed at the home of the bride’s parents Monday. They will reside at Fort Hamilton, where the bridegroom is stationed.
HORACE PLACE FARM HAS BEEN REMODELED (1938)
Gustav Ebrecht and Fred F. Backus, who recently purchased the well known Horace Place farm on the Theresa-Alexandria Bay road have completely remodeled the farm and opened it to the public.
The farm, situated near Hyde Lake, has facilities for fishing, bathing, camping and for picnics. The farm home has been turned into a tourist home and features German prepared meals. Fishing grounds in the vicinity of the farm are regarded as one of the best in that section.
The Place farm is located on route 26 between West Corners and Plessis.
The overflow from Mud lake or what is known as the flume is lower this fall than it has been in 55 years. Fred Carmon, Redwood’s oldest merchant from point of service, states that he can remember back 55 years and at no time has the water ever been so low. The Holmes gristmill now operated by John Hartman, is forced for the first time in its history to use a tractor for motive power, whereas heretofore it has always been operated by water power.
This condition also causes considerable annoyance to the nearby residents who derive their water supply from the flume source. In many cases the intake pipes are from six inches to a foot out of water.
MISS M. MIRIAN RUSSELL BRIDE OF KEITH A. B. BALL (1938)
Keith A. B. Ball, restaurant proprietor, 905 Arsenal street, and Miss M. Mirian Russell, 221 Ely street, were married Monday evening in Scranton, Pa., it was announced here today. Rev. Charles R. Sims, a Methodist Episcopal minister, officiated.
Mr. and Mrs. Ball motored to Scranton for the ceremony. They returned to the city Tuesday. After the ceremony there was a wedding dinner for members of the bridal party at Scranton. The couple will reside in this city.
The marriage was the second for both. Mr. Ball obtained a divorce from his first wife, the former Miss Viola Kirkey, of Potsdam, now of Boston, Mass., in April. Mrs. Ball obtained a divorce from her first husband, John A. Colit, now of Ogdensburg, on May 14, 1924. She has three children by that marriage.
Mr. Ball was born in this city, a son of Mrs. Nora Ball, Limerick, and the late Arthur Ball. After receiving his preliminary education he studied for a time in the Watertown School of Commerce. Later he was employed by the Dexter Sulphite, Pulp & Paper company. Several months ago he purchased the Sweetheart restaurant, formerly the West End restaurant, and has since operated the establishment.
Mrs. Ball was born in Moira and is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Eli E. Russell of Brushton. She was graduated from the Fort Covington High school and later studied at the Watertown School of Commerce.
She studied nursing for two years and for 14 years was employed as a practical nurse. The will assist Mr. Ball in the operation of the restaurant.
MISS CORA L. HOTIS IS WED (1938)
Redwood, Feb. 8. --Miss Cora L. Hotis, youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Hotis of Plessis and Martin Hanni, son of Mrs. Elsie Hanni of Plessis were married in a ceremony performed by Rev. R. F. Henderson, pastor of St. Paul’s Lutheran church on Saturday at 1 p.m.
The couple was attended by Miss Bertha Hanni of Plessis and Omar Morrow of Theresa.
Mrs. Hanni was dressed in brown crepe with matching accessories. She is a graduate of Alexandria Bay High school, class of 1933.
Following a wedding trip to Niagara Falls, the couple will reside on Mr. Hanni’s farm near Plessis.
CLAYTON HIGH STUDENT DIES
ILL SINCE JAN. 8 WITH A HEART AILMENT
MISS VIOLET I. HUNNEYMAN, 18
Daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Earl Hunneyman of Clayton Center
-- Clayton Road Formerly Resided in Lafargeville.
Clayton, Feb. 21. --Miss Violet I. Hunneyman, 18, a junior in the Clayton High school, died at 1:30 Saturday afternoon at her home on the Clayton Center-Clayton road about one mile from here. She had been ill since Jan. 8. Death was attributed to a heart ailment.
She was born in the town of Orleans, near Lafargeville, May 1, 1919, a daughter of Earl and Lottie Decker Hunneyman. She had resided in Lafargeville almost all her life. Two years ago she moved with her parents to the home where she died.
Surviving are her mother, a sister, Mrs. James Comins, St. Lawrence; five brothers, Roger, Harley, Ralph and Lyle Hunneyman, all of Clayton, and Earl Hunneyman, a seaman in the United States Navy, who is stationed at Honolulu, her grandfather, Wallace C. Decker, Theresa, and several aunts and uncles.
Funeral services will be held Tuesday afternoon at 1:30 from the home. Rev. Ellis Richards, pastor of the Lafargeville Methodist Episcopal church, will officiate. Burial will be made in the Clayton cemetery.
(headline missing) (1937)
Both Mr. and Mrs. Rowell Have
Long Been Leaders in the Plessis Methodist Church and
Are Charter Members of the Plessis Grange.
Plessis, Oct. 14. --Mrs. Minnie Rowell, wife of Arthur H. Rowell of this village, celebrated her 73rd birthday (Oct. 13) Wednesday and a chicken dinner was served to Mr. and Mrs. Rowell at the Rowell farm near the Backus Settlement. The dinner was served by Mr. and Mrs. Frank Rowell, who reside there. Frank Rowell is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Rowell and at the dinner were Mr. and Mrs. Niles Rowell of Theresa and other members of the family residing in this section.
The birthday of Mrs. Rowell falls almost upon their wedding day and on Monday Mr. and Mrs. Arthur H. Rowell will celebrate their 55th wedding anniversary. Mr. and Mrs. Rowell recalled today that it was an unusually fine day in the fall when they were married in 1882 at the home of the bride on the Shurtleff farm near Kelsey Bridge. Rev. Horace Chase of Alexandria Bay, relative of the bridegroom, performed the ceremony. Mr. and Mrs. Rowell went to live in Alexandria and to their first farm they added another. That is where the birthday dinner was served today.
Mr. and Mrs. Rowell have long been leaders in the Plessis Methodist church and are charter members of the Plessis grange which was organized Feb. 5, 1890. He and Mrs. Rowell drove to Theresa through deep mud on March 22, 1890, to help in organizing Theresa grange.
Mrs. Rowell was long the secretary of the Plessis grange and Mr. Rowell served as master for a dozen year and served as overseer and in other stations. He was then able to take any office and go through the ritual pertaining to the office without a book. He is a trustee of the Methodist church.
Mrs. Rowell is the daughter of Fenando and Isoline Avey Wilson. She was born in Theresa on the Wilson homestead near Hyde lake, but when young her parents moved to where she began keeping house when she was married 55 years ago. Mr. Rowell is the son of Truman S. and Saba Hutchinson Rowell. The Rowell family were pioneer settlers near Crystal lake.
In recalling the early days of their married life Mr. Rowell told how farming had changed.
“Today the farm where we began our married life has electric lights, telephone, radio, free mail delivery and a tractor doing the plowing and doing more in a day than I could do in three or four,” he said. “We cooperated to do our road work and it was some effort for us to drive to church and the grange with horse and buggy. Now they skip down in no time. The charter members of the grange are nearly all gone and how conditions have changed in the church, for the pioneers are gone.”
Beside the son, Frank, on the home farm, there is a son, Earl, in Syracuse.
PLESSIS GIRL IS TO BE MARRIED (1937)
EVENT CELEBRATES HER MOTHER’S BIRTHDAY
Daughter of Mrs. Rachel Henderson to Be Wed to
Walter Wood of Alexandria Bay
--Couple to Live at Bay After Wedding Trip.
Plessis, Oct. 14. --A wedding that celebrates the birthday of the bride’s mother, Mrs. Rachel Henderson takes place this afternoon at the bride’s home, at 5:30 when Miss Isabel Henderson becomes the wife of Walter Wood of Alexandria Bay. The ceremony will be performed by Rev. Richard Henderson of the Lutheran church, Redwood
Directly following the wedding the party will drive to Browns Corners to the Stevens restaurant where a dinner will be served.
The bride-to-be will wear blue with grey accessories and a corsage of red roses. The attendants will be Mrs. Melford Donaldson of Ogdensburg, sister of the bride-groom-to-be, Albert Henderson of Plessis, brother of the bride-to-be. Mrs. Donaldson will wear mahogany colored gown with matching accessories, with a corsage of pink roses.
Miss Henderson is a graduate of the Redwood high school, class of 1934. She has always resided in this village. Mr. Wood is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Wood of Alexandria Bay High school. For the past few years has been employed n the Atlantic and Pacific store at Alexandria Bay.
Today is Mrs. Henderson’s 45th birthday and the wedding was placed on this date in her honor.
The bridal couple will leave on a wedding trip which will take them through eastern Canada. They will reside in Alexandria, where Mr. Wood will be employed.
Redwood, Oct. 14. --The regular meeting of the Redwood Rebekah lodge was held Tuesday evening. D. D. P. Ida C. Wills and her staff installed the elective and appointive officers:
Nobel grand, Lulu Williams; vice grand, Lillian Cook; recording secretary, Laura Herbison; financial secretary, Grace Kabel; treasurer, Blanche Johnston; chaplain, Lottie Collins; warden, Lillie Skinner; conductress, Alice Manning; R. S. N. G., Sarah Ferguson; L. S. N. G., Hazel Donovan.
Guests were D. D. P. Kessler and D. D. M. Vandewalker of Jefferson district No. 2.
Retiring Noble Grand Grace Rexford was presented with a jewel.
MISS ANNA M. FLATH IS WED (1937)
AT HOME OF HER PARENTS IN PHILADELPHIA
BRIDE OF LESLIE C. OSTRANDER
Daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Flath Is Married to Copenhagen Man
--Couple to Reside in Forestport.
Philadelphia, Oct. 15. --A quiet wedding took place Thursday at 11:30 a.m. in Sand street when Miss Anna Marguerite Flath, youngest daughter of John and Eliza Flath, was married to Leslie Clifford Ostrander of Copenhagen.
The ceremony was performed by Rev. William C. Watson, pastor of the Congregational church in Copenhagen, in the presence of a few guests and relatives in the bride’s home. The couple was attended by Miss Gladys Keller of this village, a school friend of the bride, and Raymond Souva, Copenhagen, a cousin of the bridegroom. The bride was attired in a hunter’s green crepe and satin gown while the bridesmaid wore maroon velvet. The bride’s going away apparel was a banker’s gray suit with dark accessories to match.
Mrs. Ostrander is a native of this village and was educated in the local school. Mr. Ostrander is a son of Fred C. and the late Mrs. Eliza M. Ostrander of Copenhagen where he attended the high school. He took a post graduate course in Lowville and later attended St. Lawrence university from which he was graduated in June, 1937. Following the ceremony a wedding dinner was served and the couple left by automobile for Montreal and the New England States. Upon their return they will make their home in Forestport.
Those present at the wedding were: Fred C. Ostrander, Copenhagen; Mr. and Mrs. Dayton Nefsey, Watertown; Rev. W. C. Watson, Copenhagen; Raymond Souva, Copenhagen; Mr. and Mrs. Harvey Bancroft, Roselle, N. J.; Mr. and Mrs. Harold Hunneyman and daughter, Norma Jean, Plessis; Mr. and Mrs. John B. Flath, Miss Gladys Keller, and Mrs. Kenneth Babcock, Philadelphia.
The couple was married on the 41st wedding anniversary of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Flath, who were married by Rev. James H. Keeling at the home of the bride’s parents. Mrs. Bethania and the late George Clark, on the Theresa road, a farm now owned by the John Lehr estate.
Funeral services for David Bretsch, 84, lifelong farmer of Plessis and vicinity who died Saturday afternoon, were held Monday afternoon at 2, from his home in Plessis.
A prayer service was conducted at 1 at the home of his son-in-law, Glenn Halloway, at Lafargeville, where Mr. Bretsch died from infirmities of advanced age after an illness of several weeks. Burial was made in the Plessis cemetery. Rev. Lewis Bruce, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church of Plessis, officiated.
Mr. Bretsch was born in the town of Alexandria, July 21, 1853, son of Phillip and Margaret Poth Bretsch. He spent his entire life in this vicinity. He married Miss Ella Snell, also of this section, February 4, 1883.
Surviving are his wife; one brother, Frank Bretsch of Watertown; one granddaughter, Mrs. Robert McMane of Summit, N. J., and several nephews and nieces. An only daughter, Mrs. Glenn Halloway (sic), died last summer.
MAN, 75, TAKES HIS FOURTH BRIDE (1937)
BRIDE THINKS SHE IS 52 BUT IS NOT SURE
IS THIRD MARRIAGE FOR WIFE
Ezra D. Smith Weds Mrs. Sophronia Sayyeau
--Rev. L. Richard Mellin, Pastor of Hope Presbyterian Church Officiates.
Ezra Douglass Smith, 75, and Mrs. Sophronia Sayyeau, 52, both of 319 Coffeen street, were married at 5:30 Thursday afternoon in the parlor of the house. The ceremony was performed by Rev. L. Richard Mellin, pastor of Hope Presbyterian church.
The attendants were Mr. and Mrs. Henry Zehr of the same address. Mrs. Smith is an aunt of Mrs. Zehr. The newly married couple expect to make their home at the Coffeen street residence for the present. There was a wedding dinner at the Zehr home after the ceremony. No wedding trip is planned now, Mr. Smith said.
This is the fourth marriage for Mr. Smith and the third for Mrs. Smith. Mr. Smith obtained a divorce from his first wife, Frances Laura Armstrong, whom he married in Toledo, O. His second wife, the late Frances Almeda Klimfelter, he married in this city. She obtained a divorce from him. His third wife, the late Angeline Halstead, he married in Defiance, O. By trade he is a silversmith. For years he has been employed in Syracuse. He is now a carpenter contractor. He has two sons by his second wife, Ezra E. Smith, Lafargeville, R. D. 1, and Lloyd D. Smith, Theresa, R. D. 1.
Mrs. Smith was born in Potsdam, a daughter of the late John and Mary Brown Rivers. She attended school in Potsdam, she said, and when a young girl was married to Joseph Bolio in Potsdam. Mrs. Smith said that she believes she is 52 years old but that she is not certain as she had no records. She said her birthday is on March 26.
Her appearance indicates that she is older than 52, probably nearly as old as the bridegroom.
Her husband died in Potsdam years ago. She then came to live in this city and was married to Rube Sayyeau, who died here twelve years ago. She came to Watertown 32 years ago.
Mrs. Smith has three children by her first husband. They are Berton Bolio, 220 Cedar street, city; Theron Bolio and Mrs. Julia Buker, Syracuse.
MISS RUTH I. SKINNER WED (1938)
CEREMONY AT CLAYTON RESIDENCE SATURDAY
BRIDE OF GEORGE W. KENYON
Daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Leslie
G. Skinner of Redwood--Bridegroom Is Engineer With Frink Company.
Clayton, Jan. 17. --Miss Ruth L. Skinner, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Leslie G. Skinner of Redwood, and George W. Kenyon, son of Mr. and Mrs. George R. Kenyon, Clayton, were married at 8 p.m. Saturday at the home of Mr. and Mrs. James Patch here. Very Rev. Henry W. Bell, rector of the Christ Episcopal church here, officiated.
The bride, a graduate of the Redwood High school in 1933 and the Watertown School of Commerce in 1935, since 1935 has been employed as stenographer in the office of the Frink Sno-Plows in this village.
Mr. Kenyon was a graduate in 1928 of the Clayton High school and in 1932 from the Clarkson College of Technology. He has been in the engineering department of the Frink company here since 1934.
The couple will reside in this village.
MISS NELLIE WILLIAMS, 69, EXPIRES NEAR MANNSVILLE (1938)
Mannsville, Jan. 27. -- Miss Nellie Williams, 69, lifelong resident of this vicinity, died at 8:30 last evening at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Will J. Moore, two miles east of here, where she had lived 28 years. (scrapbook keeper’s note: “cousin of Mama”)
She had been in failing health since she suffered injuries in a fall a year ago.
Miss Williams was born at Pierrepont Manor, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Perl Williams, and lived there until she came to the Moore home. (scrapbook keeper’s note: “Preston” - but not clear to which paragraph this was applicable)
Surviving are two sisters, Miss Hattie Williams of Ogdensburg, and Mrs. Cook of Long Island, and one cousin (crossed out and penciled in was “nephew”), Payne Williams of New York city. Mr. Williams has a summer home at Pierrepont Manor.
Funeral arrangements are pending Mr. Williams’ arrival from New York. The body has been removed to the Scott funeral home at Adams.
RITES FOR F. L. JEROME HELD (1938)
MANY AT FUNERAL IN LAFARGEVILLE CHURCH
MEMBER OF PIONEER FAMILY
Grandfather Came to Jefferson County in 1800 - Rural Mail Carrier Was Greatly Interested in Nature Study.
Lafargeville, Jan. 24. -- The funeral services for Frank L. Jerome, held here at the Methodist Episcopal church on Sunday at 1:30 p.m. was largely attended.
The bearers, associates in the village life, were: Webster Bretsch, Addison Bretsch, Wayne Gibson, William Daniels, Clarence Marsh and Albert Baltz. The fact that Mr. Jerome had served for 30 years as a rural mail carrier, during which time he had served two different routes, had brought him into intimate contact with much of the population of this section, for whom he had rendered the most painstaking service.
Mr. Jerome was of pioneer stock. In the year 1800 R. T. Jerome, a grandfather, came into Jefferson county, locating in Rutland. Later he pioneered in Orleans and a son, Lucien, became a leader in the industrial life of the community. The son built the modern sawmill on the Chaumont river, or Catfish creek, and a circular saw was installed and other modern machinery purchased. Lucien Jerome kept many records and for many years kept a diary. A portion of this diary was published in The Times a few years ago.
Frank. L. Jerome was deeply interest in local history and collected many historical papers having to do with the Lafargeville area. He was also interested in Indian lore and had a good collection of Indian relics. Mr. Jerome had just finished a very complete history of some of the early buildings of the village, including the LaFarge house and mill.
Greatly interested in nature study he had a wide knowledge of plant and bird life. He had a flock of 30 pheasants he was feeding during the winter and one of his last acts was to go out to feed them. It was not uncommon for birds to come tapping at the window to be fed and several would perch upon his shoulder and permit themselves to be carried into his house.
Stories handed down from his grandfather about pioneer days and how they had to fight bears and wolves were remembered by Mr. Jerome and the days that deer came into the section near the LaFarge mansion were often told and retold in the Jerome home.
He had just started preparations to retire from his duties as rural carrier and looked forward to the time when he could spend more time with bird, animal and plant life.
According to the early records the grandfather, R. T. Jerome, took up land in 1823 on the hill not far from where the grandson resided. The Jerome family life extended over a period of 138 years in this county.
MRS. WALTER E. COLLINS, 75, DIES (1938)
CEREBRAL HEMORRHAGE FATAL AFTER LONG ILLNESS
LIFELONG RESIDENT OF OMAR
Mrs. May E. Carter Collins Stricken While Apparently on
Way to Recovery After Operation
--Her Son and Two Grandchildren Survive.
Omar, Jan. 21. --Mrs. May E. Carter Collins, 75, a lifelong resident of this village and the widow of Walter E. Collins, died at the home of her son, Leland Collins, here Thursday morning at 5:30. Death was attributed to a cerebral hemorrhage.
Last summer, Mrs. Collins underwent an operation at the A. Barton Hepburn hospital, in Ogdensburg and apparently was on the way to recovery from a lingering ailment.
She was born in the town of Orleans, April 26, 1862, a daughter of Byron and Clarissa Britton Carter. She was married to the late Walter E. Collins on March 5, 1888. Her husband died 23 years ago.
Mrs. Collins was a member of the Thousand Island grange and of the Clayton chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star. She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Surviving are a son, Leland, with whom she resided; two grandchildren, Garth and Natalie Collins, Omar.
Funeral services will be held Monday afternoon at 1 from the Omar Methodist Episcopal church. Rev. William Eddy, Boonville, and Rev. William Aubrey, Lafargeville, will officiate. Interment will be made in Omar cemetery.
MISS RUTH E. NEWBERRY WEDS (1938)
Miss Ruth Elizabeth Newberry, Alexandria Bay, became the bride of Wayne Charles House, town of Alexandria, at a ceremony performed in the chapel of the First Presbyterian church at 4 Monday afternoon. Rev. Dr. Darwin F. Pickard, pastor of the church, officiated.
The ceremony was solemnized before members of the families and close friends of the couple. Harold Newberry, a brother of the bride, and Miss Verna House of Redwood, a sister of the bridegroom, were the attendants.
Mrs. House, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Clark Newberry of Alexandria Bay, has been employed in Canton as a nurse. Mr. House, son of Mr. and Mrs. Claude House, is employed in Philadelphia.
Files Business Name
(in pencil: Feb. 1938)
Clifford Joyce, 130 North Pearl avenue, city, filed certificate with County Clerk Fred H. Moore today, showing he is doing business in the town of Watertown under the assumed name, Joyce Water company.
(portion of headline missing)
Former and Present Pastors Conduct Services For Prominent Northern New York Resident
-- She Was Active in Planning Old Home Days and Reunions.
Omar, Jan. 24. --From the Methodist Episcopal church of this village, the building that had only recently been redecorated through her efforts, the funeral of Mrs. May Collins was conducted at 1 this afternoon by a former pastor, Rev. William Eddy of Boonville, and the present pastor, Rev. William Aubrey. A favorite hymn, “Will There Be Any Thorns,” was used. Mrs. Collins had long been a member of the choir of the church. At the rededication services last summer she and a co-worker, Mrs. Abbie Walts, sang as a duet, “The Church Beside the Road.” That evening was the high point in her recent church work, for it marked the completion of her effort to have the church redecorated.
Mrs. Collins had been active in the community for many years. Forty years ago she and her husband, the late Walter E. Collins, opened a store on the main corner of the village and a modern block was erected. She operated the store after the death of her husband 23 years ago, until last fall.
She was active in forming the Collins family reunions and served as secretary for about 15 years. She also planned the Omar schoolmates’ reunion, working out plans each summer for the annual meeting. Almost across the street from her store is the hall of the Thousand Island Grange, and there was not a special program and supper in which she did not take an active part. She was also a member of the Calumet chapter, Eastern Star, at Clayton.
However, the church held her greatest attention and she served as superintendent of the Sunday school for several years. She was active in the Ladies’ Aid and was always interested in the young people of the community. She was well-versed in local history and had a large collection of clippings, a history of Omar from its early days. For a time she and her husband operated cheese factories. For a time they were on Wells Island, and for a period of years at the now-famous Collins bridge site, where they received milk by cart and by boat.
The bearers at the funeral were nephews, Ferd (sic) , Nelson Steele, Albert Hartman, Merton Walts, Walter Larrabee and David Landon.
Several times during the past few years she helped plan Old Home Days for Omar and it was on her lawn that Harold B. Johnson, editor and publisher of The Times, and friend of hers, spoke at one of these successful celebrations.
She was married on March 5, 1888, and often told of the wedding trip that took them all the way to Gouverneur to visit relatives. She had lived to see one of her dreams come true, the work of building a bridge across the St. Lawrence at the site of one of her home (sic), Collins Landing.
(individual photos included)
Miss Amy A. Ellingworth Bride of H. Ben Mitchell
Lafargeville Couple Is Wed in Trinity Chapel in This City
Lafargeville, Feb. 22. --Miss Amy A. Ellingworth, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wilfrid Ellingworth, became the bride of H. Ben Mitchell, son of Mr. and Mrs. Isaac B. Mitchell, both of Lafargeville, in a ceremony performed Monday evening at 9:30 in the chapel of the Trinity church at Watertown. Rev. Walter C. Middleton, rector, officiated.
Mr. and Mrs. Harley S. Mills, brother-in-law and sister of the bridegroom, attended the couple. The parents of both also witnessed the ceremony.
Mrs. Mitchell was gowned in an orchid dress with accessories to match.
The couple will leave today on a ten day wedding trip to New York city and Washington, D. C. Upon their return they will make their home with the bridegroom’s parents at Lafargeville.
Mrs. Mitchell, a native of Lafargeville, received her education in the schools at Lafargeville. She graduated from the Lafargeville High school in 1936. For the past years she has been employed as a clerk for the F. W. Woolworth store in Watertown. During the last two years in high school, Mrs. Mitchell was a member of the school girls basketball team.
Mr. Mitchell was born in Lafargeville and has always made his home there. He was graduated from the Lafargeville High school in 1931. He studied for one year at Cornell university. While in high school, Mr. Mitchell played on the varsity basketball team. In his senior year he was elected captain of the court team and president of the senior class.
Mr. Mitchell is employed on his father’s farm. His father is appraiser of tuberculous cattle in Jefferson county.
THOMAS HUTTON, PLESSIS, EXPIRES (1938)
Plessis, Feb. 14. -- Thomas Hutton, 76, native of England, died at his home here Saturday at 3 p.m. after a long illness of heart trouble.
He was born in Yorkshire, England, on Nov. 22, 1861, son of Thomas and Suzanna Garrett Hutton. At the age of 31 he came to this country. He was a stone cutter by trade.
Besides his wife he is survived by eleven children, Harry, a farmer near Alexandria Bay; Thomas, jr., a farmer near Plessis; Mrs. Reginald Jones (Mary Ann) of Watertown; Mrs. William May (Rosetta), near Alexandria Bay; Mrs. George Fox (Lula) of Copenhagen; Mrs. Daniel Palmer (Lucy) of Syracuse; and Lydia, Emma, Isabel and Stanley, all of whom reside at the Hutton home in Plessis; and nine grandchildren.
Funeral services will be held from the home Tuesday at 2 p.m. Rev. Louis Bruce, pastor of the Plessis Methodist Episcopal church, will officiate. The body will be placed in the vault to await burial in the spring in Plessis Brookside cemetery. Bearers will be William Hardy, George Fox, Reginald Jones and William May.
BOY, 7, DROWNED IN SANDY CREEK (1938)
Slips From Ice as He Reaches For Tin Can in Open Water
JOHN HUTCHINSON, 7, SON OF BELLEVILLE PASTOR, VICTIM
DYNAMITE USED BY SEARCHERS IN FUTILE ATTEMPT TO FIND BODY
TRAGEDY SATURDAY AFTERNOON
Student at Belleville Academy Was Playing With Two Other Boys at the Time
--Body Goes Under Ice FLOE
--Son of Rev. and Mrs. Miles L. Hutchinson.
Belleville, Feb. 7. -- John Hutchinson, 7, son of Rev. and Mrs. Miles L. Hutchinson, this village, lost his life in the frigid water of the north branch of Sandy Creek at 4:30 Saturday afternoon when he reached for a tin can bobbing in an open patch of water, slipped from the ice and disappeared. The body has not yet been recovered.
One of two small boys who was near young Hutchinson, grabbed the victim’s leg when he fell into the water and held on frantically until the swift current broke his grip.
Typist’s Note: A photo of John Hutchinson was shown at this point in the text.
When the Hutchinson boy went under the ice floe, John Austin, jr. 7, and Donald Austin, 8, sons of Mr. and Mrs. John Austin of this village, became frightened and ran back to the Hutchinson parsonage, about a quarter of a mile away, where they told Rev. Mr. Hutchinson what had happened.
Efforts to recover the boy’s body started soon after the Austin boys reported the tragedy. They continued until after dark Saturday, all day Sunday and again today.
Young Hutchinson had spent Saturday afternoon with his two playmates, motoring in Lorraine with Mrs. John Austin. On the way to Larraine (sic) they noticed larger boys skating on the ice in the cove to the rear of the farm home of Stuart D. Ormsby. When the drowning occurred later, however, the three small boys were the only ones on the ice.
Mrs. Austin and the three children returned to this village about 3:30 in the afternoon. She ----(word obliterated from copy)---- boys out of the car in front of the Hutchinson home and they went directly to the cove to play on the ice which borders the creek from 15 to 20 feet out on both sides.
The Austin boys said that John Hutchinson noticed the can bobbing in the water. They said that he reached for it, lost his balance and plunged forward into the cold water. It was then that one of the Austin boys grabbed his leg and tried to hold on. The water is between three and four feet in depth at the point where the drowning occurred.
There were several men working in the Ormsby barn 100 feet away from the scene but the frightened playmates of Hutchinson ran to the home of the victim’s parents first.
Rev. Mr. and Mrs. Hutchinson had just entered their house from a Belleville Grange meeting. Rev. Mr. Hutchinson immediately started searching the banks of the creek for his son.
Mrs. Hutchinson went to the Ormsby residence, together with Mrs. Austin who notified the state police in Adams. In the meantime news of the tragedy spread rapidly and people from the village aided in searching along the banks and watched from the bridges for signs of the boy’s body.
Sergeant H. Nelson Schermerhorn and Trooper Charles Hall, Adams patrol, arrived at 5:30 and took charge of the search. It was possible to see the marks where the boy slipped into the creek so that troopers floated three different bags of sawdust attached to floatings (sic) cans to determine where the current would take the body.
Since none of these decoys appeared out in the open stream it was the theory of officers that the body had become lodged in an ice jam about 20 feet away. Troopers and volunteers from Belleville cut ice until 8 at night when the search was given up until Sunday on account of the bad storm and darkness.
Sheriff Brayton E. Peck and Undersheriff P. Raymond Johndrow of Watertown were notified at 6:05 p.m. They came later.
Work was resumed again Sunday at 8 a.m. George and Melvin Bovee of Belleville dynamited the ice while people stood along the banks watching. Men with nets were stationed at the foot bridge by the Snell mill in order to stop the body there if it floated down. The dynamiting continued until 4 p.m. when the ice jam was broken up in the hope it might lower the level of the creek.
The search was discontinued until today. The whole ice jam passed under the Belleville bridge at 7 Sunday night, flooding the flats. People went out with flashlights but it was impossible to distinguish any object in the jam.
The north branch of Sandy creek joins the south branch below the scenic highway and empties into Lake Ontario at the old coast guard station below Southwick beach. At the mouth it is about one-fourth mile wide and very deep.
John Hutchinson was the only son and youngest child of Rev. Mr. and Mrs. Hutchinson. His father is pastor of Belleville Methodist Episcopal church. The boy was born June 24, 1930, at Philadelphia, where his father was pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church for seven years. The family came to Belleville in May, 1933.
John entered Union academy in 1935. This year he was in third grade, taught by Mrs. H. E. Ralph. He was also a member of Mrs. Donald Sprague’s Sunday school class at the Methodist Episcopal church.
Besides his parents he is survived by four sisters, Esther, 19, a sophomore in home economics at Cornell university; Ruth, 17; Ida Mae, 15, and Dorothy, 13, all students in Union academy.
There were no services in the Methodist Episcopal church Sunday.
DROWNED BOY IS FOUND BY FATHER (1938)
HAS SEARCHED STREAM EVERY DAY SINCE TRAGEDY
ON NORTHSHORE OF SANDY CREEK
Body of John W. Hutchinson, 7, Son of Rev. and Mrs. Miles Hutchinson, Belleville,
Was Mile West of Woodville
Belleville, March 23. -- The body of John Wesley Hutchinson, 7, son of Rev. and Mrs. Miles L. Hutchinson, this village, who was drowned in Sandy Creek on Feb. 5, was recovered at 4:30 Tuesday afternoon by his father.
Almost daily since the drowning, Rev. Mr. Hutchinson has searched for the body and he discovered it Tuesday on the north shore of Sandy Creek about a mile west of Woodville and about a half mile from the scenic highway. Mrs. Hutchinson was nearby when the body was found. She had waited by the roadside in the family car while Rev. Mr. Hutchinson made the search.
The body was discovered about four miles from the scene of the tragedy. Rev. Mr. Hutchinson said he at first believed he had only found the clothing his son had worn when he saw the body. It was partly encased in ice and was surrounded by mud.
After finding the body, Rev. Mr. Hutchinson returned to Belleville where he enlisted the aid of Dr. Harlow E. Ralph and Ross C. Stoodley. Dr. Ralph notified District Attorney Carl J. Hynes and he was appointed coroner’s physician. Returning to the scene the three men freed the body from the ice and it was removed to the Carpenter undertaking parlors here.
Daily, since the drowning occurred a search had been made for the body either by Rev. Mr. Hutchinson or by other Belleville residents.
The boy lost his life as he reached for a tin can bobbing in an open patch of water. He slipped from the ice on the border of Sandy Creek and efforts of a small boy with him to hold on to his leg until aid arrived proved futile.
The boy was the only son and youngest child of Rev. Mr. and Mrs. Hutchinson. He was born June 24, 1930, at Philadelphia, where his father was pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church for seven years. The family moved to Belleville in May, 1933.
Besides his parents he is survived by four sisters, Esther I., 20, a sophomore at Cornell university; Ruth H., 17; Ida Mae, 15, and Dorothy H., 13, all students at the Belleville Union academy.
Funeral services will be held in the Belleville Methodist Episcopal church of which Rev. Mr. Hutchinson is pastor at 2 Thursday afternoon. Rev. Charles T. Holcombe, Watertown, superintendent of the Black River district of Northern New York Methodist Episcopal conference, will officiate. Burial will be made in the Plessis cemetery.
FUNERAL ON THURSDAY FOR MRS. ELIZABETH G. PARKER (1935)
(photo of Mrs. Elizabeth G. Parker accompanied the write-up)
Funeral services for Mrs. Elizabeth G. Zimmerman Parker, 74, of 1112 State street, widow of Edward E. Parker, who died Monday night at the home of her son, Neil J. Parker, at Wilton, will be held Thursday afternoon at 2 at the home of her other son, Earl W. Parker, at Brownville.
Rev. Dr. Harry Westbrook Reed, minister of the All Souls Universalist church, will officiate. Burial will be made in the Brownville cemetery.
Six members of the grange have been selected to act as bearers at the funeral. They are: Leonard L. Allen, past master of Jefferson County Pomona grange, and J. Dudley Jones, W. Herbert Sawyer and William J. Cole, past masters of Watertown Grange, No. 7; William H. Sutton, present master of Watertown Grange, and County Deputy Ernest J. Stalder of Calcium.
Mrs. Parker, for the past 43 years secretary of the Jefferson County Pomona grange, held the record in the United States for the longest continuous service as grange officer.
The body arrived here by motor hearse Tuesday afternoon, was removed to the William R. Box company funeral home and was taken to the home of her son in Brownville today.
DR. EDDY NOTES 76TH BIRTHDAY (March, 1938)
REDWOOD DOCTOR FOR PAST 48 YEARS HONORED AT FAMILY DINNER
Prominent Member of Jefferson County Medical Association
Is a Native of Lafargeville
--Was Graduated From University of Buffalo.
(photo of the Dr. was included with the article)
Dr. Elmer E. Eddy, Redwood, celebrated his 76th birthday Sunday when he and Mrs. Eddy were hosts at a family dinner party of twelve covers at the Delevan Arms, Keyes avenue, at 1 in the afternoon.
The affair was informal, but a feature of the occasion was a large birthday cake with candles.
Dr. Eddy, prominent member of the Jefferson County Medical association and head of the board of managers of the county sanitarium for several years, has practiced his profession for 48 years, having established himself at Redwood following his graduation from the medical college of the University of Buffalo in 1890.
He is a native of Lafargeville, son of the late Daniel and Mary Eddy. His father was one of the early farmers of that part of the county, having purchased a tract of land from John La Farge about 1840.
Dr. Eddy was educated in the schools of Lafargeville and Antwerp, after which he began the study of medicine in the medical college of the University of Michigan, but transferred to the University from Buffalo to finish his course.
In 1892 he was married to Miss Sadie Mitchell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Mitchell. Dr. Eddy has been a coroner under the old system of elective coroners, has been president of the Redwood board of education and has also been prominent in religious and civic matters.
Guests of Dr. and Mrs. Eddy were Mr. and Mrs. Fred B. Mitchell, Lafargeville; Mr. and Mrs. Lucien C. Mitchell, Mrs. Mary Fish, Lott Mitchell Peck, Mr. and Mrs. Carl G. Nill and sons, Carl Eddy Nill and John Paul Nill, all of this city.
Mrs. Fish, who is 92, is the aunt of Mrs. Eddy, the great-aunt of Fred B. and Lucien C. Mitchell, and great-great aunt of Mrs. Nill, who is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Fred B. Mitchell.
Theresa, March 7. --In spite of the cold which prevented many older people from attending, there was a large number at the farewell party at the old Theresa High school Thursday evening. The town band added their efforts to the program. In one of the assembly rooms old fashioned square dancing was enjoyed. Refreshments were served by the members of the junior class.
Friday trucks moved furnishings to the new building. By night the Theresa High school, in use of 69 years, was a deserted building. Classes will be held in the new building Monday.
H. E. RUSSELL, AGED 49, DIES (1938)
Harry E. Russell, 49, for 18 years a resident of Watertown, died at his home in Ilion, Saturday evening according to word received here by friends. He had been ill eleven days. A cerebral hemorrhage caused his death.
Mr. Russell was born in Ilion, Aug. 18, 1888, a son of the late Fred N. and Jessie M. Russell. He received his education in the Ilion schools, spending his early life there. He married Miss Hazel E. Bullard of Philadelphia, N. Y., Jan. 5, 1915. The marriage was performed in Philadelphia. Mrs. Russell survives her husband.
Mr. Russell lived in Ilion for two years after his marriage and then came to Watertown. He was engaged here at different times by several companies as salesman for this district.
In 1935, Mr. Russell and his family returned to Ilion where Mr. Russell entered the employ of Remington Rand, working in the model room of the Powers division.
He was superintendent of the Methodist Episcopal church Sunday school in Ilion. He was also a member of the official church board and of the Ilion lodge No. 591, F. & A. M
Besides his wife, he is survived by two sons, Robert and Allen; a daughter, Virginia; and a brother, Dr. H. M. Russell, all of Ilion.
Funeral services will be held Tuesday afternoon from his home at 85 North Fourth avenue in Ilion. Burial will be made in Ilion.
LIFELONG RESIDENT OF SECTION ILL 2 YEARS (1938)
REDWOOD WOMAN, AGED 57 Native of the Town of Alexandria,
Mrs. Edgerly Had Always Lived in Vicinity of Redwood
--Funeral Services Wednesday Afternoon.
Redwood, April 4. --Mrs. Bertha L. Pierce Edgerly, 57, widow of Elmer
Edgerly, died at 7:30 last evening at her home in Dutch Settlement four miles
from here. Death was caused by a heart ailment and complications. She had been
in ill health for two years.
Mrs. Edgerly was born in the town of Alexandria Nov. 1, 1880, daughter of Samuel and Carolyn Harder Pierce. She was married 39 years ago to Mr. Edgerly, a farmer, who died Dec. 17, 1937.
Mrs. Edgerly had always lived in this vicinity. She was a member of the Kirkland grange, No. 684, and of the Redwood Methodist Episcopal church.
Surviving are three daughters, Mrs. Howard PIerce and Mrs. Guy Hunneyman of Redwood and Mrs. Norman Hutchinson of Clayton; one son, Lionel Edgerly of Redwood; several grandchildren; her mother, Mrs. Carolyn Pierce of Redwood, and two sisters, Mrs. Fred Hotis of Plessis and Mrs. Charles Hunneyman of Redwood.
The funeral will be held Wednesday at 1:30 from the home and at 2 p.m. from the Methodist Episcopal church here. Burial will be in Redwood cemetery.
FISHERMAN’S BODY FOUND AFTER ALL-DAY HUNT (1938)
ADDISON HART, 48, REDWOOD
He Wandered From Fishing Companions Near Butterfield Lake Thursday Night
-- Apparently Stumbled Over 35-Foot Cliff in Dark.
Redwood, April 30. --Missing since late Thursday night after he wandered away from fishing companions, Addison Hart, 48, a fisherman, was found dead at the bottom of a 35-foot cliff about 6 Friday evening following an all-day search of the Butterfield lake section.
Hart received a fracture at the base of the skull and a broken right arm. He apparently stumbled over the ledge after becoming separated from his friends, Willis Kimball and Claude Keene, this village.
The body of the man was discovered at the bottom of the cliff by Harold Brown, one of the party of searchers. Following the finding of the body the sheriff’s office was notified and Deputy Sheriff Fred V. Jackson and Deputy Sheriff Arthur L. Sprague went to the scene. Dr. E. E. Eddy, this village, was summoned and he went to the scene of the tragedy to determine the cause of death.
Hart lived alone on the shore of Butterfield lake. The section where the body was discovered is filled with rough ledges. It is believed by officials who investigated that Hart may have seen a light in a cottage and started walking toward it, not realizing in time that the steep cliff was ahead of him. It is believed that the man landed on his head when he struck at the bottom of the ledge, probably dying instantly.
Searchers were forced to don rubber boots to reach the victim’s body. Deputy Jackson and Dr. Eddy, not prepared for such a contingency, were carried to the spot by the members of the searching party.
After the physician determined the cause of death, the body was removed with permission of District Attorney Carl J. Hynes to the Snyder funeral rooms in this village.
When the victim of the accident left his friends, he put his lantern at Crows point on the lake shore, some distance from where he met death. The abandoned lantern was found by Deputy Sprague. Officials determined that Hart had walked more than 200 yards from Crows point when he fell over the ledge.
Officials said that Hart’s fishing companions had not become alarmed when Hart left them, believing that he had returned to his home. When the man failed to appear at the home of Howard Robinson Friday morning, where he had been hired to work, the all-day search was started for him.
Hart was a native of Plessis.
He was born in 1890, son of Addison and Mary Storms Hart. All of his life was spent in the town of Alexandria with the exception of several years that he served in the United States marines during the World war. He was employed as a laborer most of his life.
Surviving are a half-brother, Frank Giltz of Gouverneur; one uncle, Hylan Hart of Redwood; three cousins, Albert Hart of Plessis, Jennie Hart of Redwood, and Clayton Hart of Iowa.
MISS FERN HARDY NAMED DELEGATE (March, 1938)
TO COMPETE FOR STATE
She Will Vie With Delegates of Other Counties in State
For Privilege of Attending Camp in Washington.
(photo of Miss Hardy included)
Miss Fern Hardy, 17, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George A. Hardy, Philadelphia, has been selected as the Jefferson county 4-H club delegate to compete with delegates from other New York counties for the privilege of representing New York state in the National 4-H club camp at Washington in June.
The selection of Miss Hardy was made by Dr. A. J. Pratt of the vegetable crops department of Cornell university, and was based on her activities in the 4-H club, her work in the church, grange, community and school. Only two girls in the county applied for selection.
Miss Hardy’s scrapbook, which contains a record of her community and club work, will be forwarded to Ithaca where it will be judged with those of other county delegates.
From the list of delegates, state club officials will select two boys and two girls to represent the state at the national camp.
Miss Hardy has been a member of the 4-H club for the past six years and she had held the offices of president, vice president, secretary and cheer leader for her club. She also served as a reporter for the county council and was selected as a delegate to the state fair in 1936.
In 1935 she was named as health champion at the Jefferson county fair. She was a member of the girls’ demonstration group which won first prize at the county fair last year. She also served as life guard at the county 4-H club camp at Camp Immokalee, Adams, last summer.
Besides being active in 4-H club, Miss Hardy is prominent in community work. She served as treasurer of the Young People’s society at Philadelphia. She was president of her junior class in the high school last year and was active in school athletics.
E. D. HERRICK FUNERAL HELD (1938)
PROMINENT RESIDENT OF ALEXANDRIA BAY
ODD FELLOWS ATTEND SERVICE
Burial Is Made in the Family Plot in Barnes Settlement
--He Was Descendant of Pioneer Family.
Alexandria Bay, May 10. --Funeral services for Edward D. Herrick, 77, prominent resident of this village, who died at his home on Walton street here Friday evening, were held this afternoon at 1:30 from the home and at 2 in the Methodist Episcopal church of this village.
Rev. Roger F. Williams, pastor of the church, and Rev. William D. Aubrey, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church of Lafargeville and former pastor of the local church, officiated. Rev. Mr. Williams delivered the sermon.
Burial was made in the family plot in Barnes Settlement. Members of the Odd Fellows lodge attended the services at the church and gave a service at the grave.
Among the persons attending the funeral were Dr. William S. McFarlane, Ernest W. Vary and Dr. William G. Houghton, a nephew, all of Watertown.
Fellow members of the board of trustees of the local church acted as honorary bearers at the funeral. They were: D. Marshall Crawford, George Cook, Charles P. Putman, Charles Haas and Charles Garlock, all of this village.
The active bearers were: Albert L. King, Redwood; George A. Hartman, Redwood, Stewart T. Blount, Alexandria Bay, Gerald D. Bigley, Alexandria Bay, all sons-in-law, and Dr. William G. Houghton, Watertown, and Ray Babcock, Redwood, nephews.
Mr. Herrick had long been prominent in the religious and civic life of the community. He was a member of the official board and a trustee of the Methodist Episcopal church, member of the board of education of this village and Redwood and for several years was an assessor of the town of Alexandria.
He was also a member of the Jefferson County Grand Jurors’ association, the Kirkland grange, the local Odd Fellows lodge, the local Encampment and a director of the Jefferson-Lewis Patrons’ Fire Relief association.
Mr. Herrick was born in the town of Theresa, Dec. 30, 1861, the eldest of three children of the late Delos and Sophronia Curtis Herrick. His sister, Mrs. Mina A. Herrick Houghton, who was the widow of James H. Houghton, died at Theresa Nov. 25, 1835. His brother, Dr. Cheeseman A. Herrick, former president of Girard college at Philadelphia, Pa., resides in Philadelphia, Pa. He attended the funeral today.
The late Delos Herrick served in the Civil war and was well known in the northern section of Jefferson county.
Mr. Herrick’s ancestors were pioneer settlers of the Jefferson county. The first of the Herrick family to come to this section was Mr. Herrick’s great-grandfather, Edward Herrick, who came from Essex county, Vt., and settled in the town of Rodman in 1805. He cleared the land in that section, then a wilderness. Edward Herrick, son of the pioneer settler, was born in Rodman, but later moved to Brownville. There his son, Delos Herrick, father of the Edward Herrick who just died, was born in 1838.
Delos Herrick later moved with the Herrick family to a small farm in the town of Theresa, near the Indian river and about six miles from Theresa. It was there that Edward D. Herrick was born.
Members of the Curtis family were among the early settlers of the town of Theresa. Sophronia Curtis, the mother of Edward D. Herrick, was born in that town and was a daughter of Cheeseman A. and Mary Curtis. The Curtis family originally came to this county from Schoharie county.
ALEXANDRIA BAY COUPLE IS WED (1938)
CEREMONY PERFORMED AT ST. CYRIL’S RECTORY
MISS JULIA KNIGHT BRIDE
Rev. Father Dussault Performs Ceremony at Wedding of Miss Knight to
Philip Ivey, Caretaker of Nehmabin Island
Alexandria Bay, June 6. --Miss Julia Knight, daughter of the late Morris Knight and Mrs. Esther Knight, was married to Philip Ivey, son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Ivey, Sunday morning at St. Cyril’s rectory by Rev. Father Dussault, pastor.
Jewel Knight, twin sister of the bride, and Louis Burtch attended the couple who left immediately after the ceremony for Watertown where a wedding breakfast was held at the Woodruff hotel.
The breakfast, which was given by Mrs. Fred Knight, grandmother of the bride was attended by Mr. Burtch, Miss Knight, Mr. and Mrs. Ivey, Mrs. Annie Massey, Mr. and Mrs. Leon Comstock, Miss Sally Ann Comstock, Mr. and Mrs. Claude Fitzsimmons, and Harry Roy.
The bride wore a blue tailored suit with white accessories and a corsage of pink roses. The bridesmaid wore a cream-colored dress with white accessories and a corsage of lilies of the valley.
Mr. Ivey and his bride both attended the local high school and for the past three years Mr. Ivey has been employed as caretaker at Nehmabin island, where the young couple will reside.
O’NEILL -- At the House of the Good Samaritan, July 19, 1938, to Mr. and Mrs. Calvin O’Neill, 1150 Dewey street, a son, Daniel Calvin.
FAMILY DINNER MARKS THE OCCASION (1938)
MR. AND MRS. JAS. H. DOUGLAS
Mr. Douglas Is 87 Years Old and Mrs. Douglas 80
-- Sackets Harbbor Residents Celebrate Anniversary at Lafargeville.
Sackets Harbor, March 28. -- Married at Sackets Harbor, 61 years ago, Mr. and Mrs. James Hubert Douglas of this village celebrated their wedding anniversary at the home of their daughter, Mrs. Delia Bellinger, at Lafargeville today. A family dinner will mark the event. Last year an all day reception was held at the Douglas home in this village.
Mr. Douglas is 87 years old and his wife is 80. Both enjoy comparatively good health and live together in their home on Dodge avenue this village, doing their own work, and Mr. Douglas sometimes helps his son, Henry who lives on a farm near the Douglas home with some of the lighter farm duties.
“Sixty-one years does not seem such a long time to me,” said Mrs. Douglas. In commenting upon the weather of 61 years ago she said, “It was a mild day but nothing like the March weather we have had this year. There was still ice in Black river bay on March 28, 1877, because some of my relatives who lived on Pillar Point came across the ice to Sackets Harbor to the wedding, and since the ice was not considered safe for horses at this time of the year, the women guests rode in cutters and the men pushed them over the ice.”
Pointing to a colorful strip of carpet draped across a chair, Mrs. Douglas continued, “That is the strip of carpet on which we stood to be married. The wool was spun by my mother from our own sheep and woven and colored by my father, Henry Lepper, who was a weaver by trade.
Mr. Douglas was one of the first persons in this vicinity to vote the prohibition ticket. He and Mrs. Douglas have always been staunch Methodists and are members of Grace church, this village.
Miss Anna Lepper and James Hubert Douglas were married at Sackets Harbor, March 28, 1877, by Rev. L. L. Davey, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church this village. They were attended by the late John Pettit and Flora Stone. The couple began their married life on a farm on Pillar Point belonging to Mr. Douglas’ grandfather who purchased the tract from Leray de Chaumont, clearing the land himself and building a log house. Before James Hubert went to live on the farm the log house had been replaced with a frame dwelling. Mr. and Mrs. Douglas remained on the farm 27 years moving to Sackets Harbor 35 years ago.
Upon moving to Sackets Harbor the couple lived on the farm now owned and operated by their son, Henry, living there for twelve years. About 23 years ago Mr. Douglas retired and moved to the house where they now live. Four children were born to them. Two --- (torn off) ----- Mrs. Delia Bellinger ---(torn off) --- they are spending the ---(torn off)-- Henry of Sackets Harbor, --------(torn off)-------- four grandchildren and ------(torn off)------ great grandchildren.
Mr. Douglas was born on Pillar Point Sept. 18, 1851, a son of the late James Chester and Lucilda Cady Douglas. He was the second oldest of nine children. He is a direct descendant of the Douglas clan of Scotland and Alexander Douglas, great grandfather of James Hubert, arrived in the United States on the very day that the colonists threw the tea overboard in the Boston harbor. James Douglas, grandfather of James Hubert, came to Jefferson county shortly after the War of 1812. His first wife, Hannah Edwards Douglas had seven brothers in the War of 1812 at the same time. They came here from Montgomery county. After the death of his first wife, James Douglas married Miss Susanna Pettit, said to be the first child born in the settlement of Watertown about 1801.
Mrs. Douglas was born on Pillar Point June 5, 1858, a daughter of Henry and Harriet Lepper. The Lepper family came to this village when Mrs. Douglas was a small child. The Lepper home was located on Mill Creek and was built by George Sloman in the early 1800’s. The house has since been torn down and the property is now a part of the United States military reservation at Madison Barracks.
MISS LUELLA M. SARGENT EXPIRES (1938)
SUCCUMBS AFTER OPERATION ON TUESDAY
ALEXANDRIA BAY WOMAN, 38
Miss Sargent Spent Her Entire Life in the Home Near Alexandria Bay
Where She Was born --Her Mother Died Jan. 6
--Three Brothers Survive.
Alexandria Bay, March 4. -- Miss Luella May Sargent, 38, of the River road between Alexandria Bay and Clayton, about two miles from this village, died at 7:10 last night in the House of the Good Samaritan, Watertown, where she had been a patient since Sunday. Miss Sargent, who had been in poor health, underwent an operation Tuesday.
Miss Sargent was born Aug. 22, 1899, in the house in which she lived at the time of her death and was a daughter of the late James W. and Agnes Joles Sargent. She spent all her life in the house in which she was born.
Her mother died Jan. 6, less than two months ago, at the family home. Her father died Nov. 4, 1934, at the same place.
Miss Sargent attended the Collins Landing school. She was a member of the Thousand Island grange.
Surviving her are three brothers, Clark W. and Leland G. Sargent, Alexandria Bay, and Clifford J. Sargent, Syracuse; several nieces, nephews, aunts and uncles and her maternal grandmother, Mrs. Laura Baltz Joles, town of Orleans.
Prayer services will be held at her home Sunday afternoon at 1:30 followed by services a half hour later in the Omar Methodist Episcopal church. Rev. Bernard DeGraw, Syracuse, former pastor of the Lafargeville Methodist church, and Rev. Ellis Richards, now pastor of the church, will officiate. Burial will be in Omar cemetery.
On Jordan Faculty
(photo of Miss Elizabeth Hunter) (1938)
Plessis, March 2. -- Miss Elizabeth Hunter of Plessis has joined the faculty of the Jordan High school as instructor of public school music and art. She began work Monday.
Miss Hunter is a graduate of Alexandria Bay High school and Syracuse university, college of fine arts, class of 1937. She has a degree of bachelor of music.
Since graduation she has been doing post graduate work in art. While at the university she was affiliated with Sigma Alpha Iota, an honorary musical sorority, and with the social sorority , Zeta Tau Alpha.
Miss Hunter is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Earl A. Hunter, Plessis.
Alexandria Bay, May 11. -- Leo H. Shoulette, 33, died at his home on Church street at 9:45 this morning after an illness of two months.
Mr. Shoulette was born Aug. 6, 1904, on the Shoulette homestead near Alexandria Bay, son of Cornelius and Minnie Micheau Shoulette. He attended the Alexandria Bay High school and Deiberts private school in Philadelphia. The last five years he had operated his own trucking business.
Mr. Shoulette was a member of St. Cyril’s church and of the Holy Name society of the church.
Surviving are his wife, Mrs. Marion Shoulette, of this village; his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Cornelius Shoulette, of Redwood, and four brothers, Floyd Shoulette, Oswald Shoulette, Roswald Shoulette and Carl Shoulette, all of Redwood.
Funeral services will be held at 9:30 Saturday morning at the family home and at 10 a.m. from St. Cyril’s Catholic church here. Burial will be in St. Cyril’s cemetery. Rev. Walter J. Charbonneau, pastor of the Redwood Catholic church, will officiate.
FOUR GENERATIONS ATTEND CELEBRATION
RELATIVES HONOR THERESA MAN
Retired Builder Entertained at Birthday Dinner by 34 Relatives
-- Native of Brockville,Ont., Mr. De Young Has Lived in State 68 Years.
Theresa, March 16. -- William DeYoung celebrated his 75th birthday Sunday at a dinner given by 34 of his relatives at his home here. Four generations of the family were represented. A son, Jerry, of Huntington, W. Va., was unable to be present.
A grandfather of William De Young, Charles DeYoung, was a builder in Canada. He was employed on the construction of the great Notre Dame church in Montreal. William DeYoung’s father, also named Charles, was the builder of the Presbyterian church in Hammond, the structure that burned a few years ago. Mr. DeYoung himself is a builder and the son, Jerry, is also a builder.
Mr. DeYoung resided at Staten Island for four years and was connected with a prominent business organization of that section. In Theresa he has served as highway superintendent and assessor, and has long been chairman of an election district here. He was for a period of years manager of the Douglas farms in this section and is now retired. But he has many calls for building and to keep in good health often takes his axe winters and walks to some woodlot to cut wood.
He was born in Brockville, Ont., March 13, 1863. The family moved to Hammond seven years later. Mr. DeYoung married Ida Evans May 5, 1885. She died in 1930.
From Staten Island Saturday came a postcard shower of over 50 cards and many came from Theresa besides. Miss Grace DeYoung, a daughter, night superintendent at the House of the Good Samaritan, Watertown, took several pictures of the party.
Among those attending were Mr. and Mrs. C. E. Call, Theresa; Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Felder and family, Plessis; Mr. and Mrs. Anson Calhoun and son of Watertown; Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Desormeau and family, Theresa; Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Smith and family of Hastings; Miss Grace DeYoung, Watertown, and Mr. and Mrs. Harold DeYoung of Theresa.
Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Felder and son of Syracuse appeared in the picture of four generations as their son, Gay, is the great-grandchild of Mr. DeYoung. Also attending the birthday celebration were Miss Ruth Chisamore, Watertown, granddaughter; Miss Marie Felder and the Misses Irene Jarrett and Alice Brown of Ogdensburg.
SCHNEIDER -- At the House of the Good Samaritan, May 11, 1938, to Mr. and Mrs. Frank F. Schneider of Plessis, a daughter, Eleanor Ann, weight six pounds five ounces.
(headings missing) (1938)
Aug. 17 -- James R. Scanlon, 57, well known Hammond farm machinery salesman, was fatally injured about 3 (E.D.T.) Tuesday afternoon at the Alexander Schillet farm, two miles from here on the Alexandria Bay-Goose Bay road, when a ton and a half threshing machine, under which he was working, collapsed and crushed him.
Scanlon died in the offices of Dr. Harold Gokey at Alexandria Bay, about an hour after the accident occurred. He suffered a crushed chest and crushed back besides internal injuries.
Scanlon, the father of two children, arrived at the Schillet farm from Hammond shortly after noon Tuesday to examine the threshing machine on the Schillet farm which he had taken in trade toward a new machine. He drove from Hammond to the Schillet farm alone.
After examining the machine, he decided to repair it in hopes of selling the used machine to a prospective customer. Scanlon got underneath the machine and started to loosen a wooden support which leads from the front axle to the body of the machine. His head and chest were entirely under the front portion of the threshing machine.
As he was loosening the last of a number of bolts which held up the support, the front two wheels of the thresher collapsed, causing the ton and a half machine to drop down on Scanlon’s body.
The accident was witnessed by George Norton, operator of the Schillet farm, and his son, Kenneth, who were working in the field a short distance away. They immediately rushed to Scanlon’s assistance. They lifted the machine from the ground with the use of poles and removed Scanlon, who was unconscious.
Dr. Gokey was summoned and administered first aid at the scene of the accident. Scanlon was then placed in the truck of Bert Hodge and taken to the office of Dr. Gokey where he died about 4 p.m. (E.D.T.). Scanlon never regained consciousness. Dr. Gokey was appointed coroner by Assistant District Attorney Roy A. Fuller, who was notified. Deputy Sheriff Byron H. McDermott, Watertown, investigated.
Mr. Scanlon was well known by farmers throughout northern New York, especially in Lewis county. For the past 15 years he had been a salesman in farm machinery. Prior to that he was an automobile salesman, having an agency at Hammond.
He was a member of St. Peter’s Catholic church at Hammond.
Surviving besides his widow, are two children, Catherine, 19, and Donald, 7, at home; two brothers, Jack Scanlon of Redwood, and Daniel Scanlon of San Francisco, Calif.
The body was removed to the Earl Eustace funeral parlors at Hammond. Funeral services will be held Saturday morning from St. Peter’s Catholic church at Hammond, Rev. C. A. Collins, pastor, officiating.
MR. AND MRS. LOUIS GETMAN (1938)
Redwood Couple Receives Gifts
--Mrs. Getman Before Her Marriage Was Miss Emma Giegerich.
Mr. and Mrs. Louis Getman of Redwood, were guests of honor at a supper party Tuesday evening planned by members of the family, and held at the home of Mrs. Rozella McGarr, 613 South Massey street. The occasion was the golden wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Getman. Tables were arranged in the garden and attractively decorated. After the supper, which included a large gold and white wedding cake, Mr. and Mrs. Getman were presented with a gold encrusted crystal water set. Mrs. Getman also received a corsage of golden roses.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Getman are well known in this vicinity, having spent nearly all their lives here. Mrs. Getman was born in Stone Mills in 1863, the daughter of John and Barbara Giegerich. Mr. Getman was born in Germany, the son of Jacob and Anna Margaret Getman. He came to this country in 1883 and became a naturalized citizen five years and one day from the day he landed.
Mr. Getman was first employed on the George Haas farm, later working for John Hartman and Henry Zimmer. It was while he was at the Zimmer farm that he became acquainted with Emma Giegerich, who was keeping house for her brother, John, on a neighboring farm. They were married in Plessis Aug. 16, 1888, returning to the Shultz factory where Mr. Getman was making cheese for Adam Bickelhaupt. This business relationship between Mr. Getman and Mr. Bickelhaupt continued for 43 years. For ten years, Mr. Getman was in the South Hammond factory, coming to Redwood in 1900 as manager of all the factories.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Getman are enjoying good health and continue to be active in many church and village affairs. Mrs. Getman, a charter member of the Dorcas society of the Lutheran church, retired as its president last year, after serving five years as vice president. She was president of the local home bureau from the time it was organized until 1927, holding many offices in the county farm and home bureau. She has been librarian of the Lutheran Sunday school for 30 years.
Mr. Getman will be retired as an honorary life member of the grange next year, having been a member for 50 years. He was superintendent. For almost the same period of time he has served as trustee of the church. He was made a director of the local bank the third year of its organization and now serves in the same capacity. He was also president of the local school board for over 13 years, the present building being constructed during his term of office.
Mr. and Mrs. Getman have two daughters, Mrs. Ida Hofferberth and Mrs. Mina R. Jones, and two grandchildren, Barbara Jean Jones and Beverly Ann Jones.
Those present at the supper party Tuesday evening besides Mrs. McGarr and the guests of honor, were: Mr. and Mrs. Edward Workman, John Giegerich, Miss Sarah Giegerich, Miss Mildred Bush, Miss Grace Giegerich, Mr. and Mrs. G. M. Hofferberth, Mrs. Mina Jones, Barbara Jean Jones and Beverly Ann Jones, of Redwood.
HAZEL I. MEEDS, TEACHER, IS WED (1938)
CEREMONY PERFORMED AT TOWANDA, PA., SUNDAY TO ALEXANDRIA BAY MAN
Former Fifth Grade Teacher at West Carthage Is Bride of Electrician
--They Will Reside at Alexandria Bay After Sept. l
Carthage, Aug. 22. --Miss Hazel I. Meeds, who completed this June her tenth year as fifth grade teacher at West Carthage High school, was married to W. W. Simpson, Alexandria Bay, in a ceremony performed Sunday at the Methodist Episcopal church parsonage at Towanda, Pa.
The couple now touring the New England states, will reside at Alexandria Bay after Sept. 1.
Mrs. Simpson, formerly of Theresa, has made her home here at 21 North Jefferson street. She is the daughter of Mrs. Jessie Meeds, Far Rockaway, L. I., and the late George Meeds of Theresa.
Prior to coming here, Mrs. Simpson taught for five years at rural schools near Theresa. After graduating from Theresa High school she completed the Carthage High school teachers’ training course. She has also attended summer school at the Buffalo State Teachers’ college. Principal Floyd J. Salter of the West Carthage school accepted Mrs. Simpson’s resignation in May.
Mr. Simpson, an electrician, is the son of Mrs. Lottie Simpson, Alexandria Bay, and the late William Simpson. He was graduated from the Redwood High school and attended the School of Engineering at Syracuse university.
The bride was guest of honor here at several pre-nuptial events. Among those who entertained in her honor were Mrs. Lydie Vrooman, Mrs. Edwin C. Pickert, Miss Mary Fortune, Miss Jean Clifford and members of the Argonaut club. Mrs. Simpson was also a guest of honor at the annual faculty dinner this spring.
AUGUST WEDDING JUST ANNOUNCED (1938)
Mr. and Mrs. H. D. Cosselman, 136 Seymour street, today announced the marriage of their daughter, Miss Carol Lois Cosselman to Leon Earl Marvin, son of Mr. and Mrs. Leon L. Marvin, 327 State street.
The marriage took place in the parsonage of Woolworth Memorial Methodist church at Great Bend, Sunday, Aug. 29, 1937. Rev. J. W. Barrett officiated. The couple was unattended.
Mr. Marvin was graduated from the Watertown High school in the class of 1935 and is now employed as mail clerk at the New York Air Brake Company.
Mrs. Marvin was born in this city. She attended the local schools and was graduated from the Watertown high school in January, 1937.
The couple will reside in this city.
HOTEL IS SOLD FOR BACK TAXES
TOWN TAKES OVER COMMERCIAL HOTEL AT THERESA
BUILDING ERECTED IN 1822
Furniture Now Being Disposed of at Private Sale
--Hotel Has Been Operated By Many Over the years.
Theresa, Aug. 23. -- It appears that the curtain is to be run down on the historic Commercial hotel in this village, long known as the Commercial hotel in this village, long known as the American House and so named when it was erected in 1822 by a Mr. Stephenson.
One of the early physicians of the community, Dr. James Brooks, had his office in this building. When Sewell Wilson came in possession of the property about 100 years ago, he started in to enlarge it. He excavated the sand bank to provide a basement, the walls of which were of home made brick. He had the place completed in 1842 and opened for business and being located in Main street and on the line of the stage routes to Clayton and also the one to Alexandria Bay. It had its share of patronage. There were several who operated the hotel after Mr. Wilson, but Alanzo Church was one who had the hotel in the 1870’s and early 1880’s and was very successful. In this hotel was a large hall, with stage and summers (sic) stock companies from New York city would have their vacations here and put on shows in this hall on Saturday nights.
Later others had charge of the place and the last owner was George Bretsch who operated the hotel for years. The building was remodeled and parts of it were rebuilt and an addition made to the dining room and kitchen. After the death of Mr. Bretsch others had the hotel for short periods. It was during Mr. Bretsch’s ownership that the name was changed.
Now the building, sold for back taxes, is in possession of the town. The furniture, owned by James Mahanna, is being sold at private sale.
INFANT PASSES AWAY (1938)
Alexandria Bay, Sept. 14. --Janis Irene Reynolds, the ten-months-old baby of Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Reynolds, died at 1:30 this morning at the home of Mr. Reynolds’ parents, Mr. and Mrs. Edward Reynolds. The baby has been ill for the past three weeks with a severe attack of whooping cough, and has been in a critical condition for the past three days.
The baby was born Oct. 21, 1937, at Alexandria Bay, daughter of Herbert and Doris Bailey Reynolds. She is survived by her parents.
MISS JEANETTE BRESLIN TO WED
POTSDAM HIGH SCHOOL INSTRUCTOR IN MUSIC
TO DONALD L. MARTIN
Crane Graduate Is Engaged to Former Potsdam High School Teacher, Now of Monticello Faculty
--Wedding Will Take Place Early in July.
Potsdam, June 15. -- The approaching marriage of Miss Jeanette E. Breslin, member of the Potsdam High school faculty, to Donald L. Martin, teacher at Monticello and formerly an instructor in the local school, was announced recently by Mr. and Mrs. Augustine S. Breslin of Oneida, parents of the bride-to-be. The ceremony will be performed early in July.
Miss Breslin, who received her preliminary education at Oneida High school, was graduated from the Crane department of music, state normal school, in 1935. During the next school year she taught music at Evans Mills High school and for the past two years has been instructor in the music department at Potsdam High school. She has taken an interest in civic and social functions and leading roles in programs sponsored by the Civic Singers.
Mr. Martin is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Vernon Martin of Vernon. He is a graduate of Vernon High school and Hamilton college and is affiliated with the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity. For three years he was an instructor in mathematics at Potsdam High school. During the past school year he occupied a similar position at Monticello High school.
Former Potsdam Teachers Are Married At Oneida (1938)
Miss Jeanette E. Breslin Is Bride of Donald L. Martin
Potsdam, July 5. --Miss Jeanette Ellen Breslin and Donald Law Martin of Monticello, both former teachers at the Potsdam High school, were married in the garden at the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Augustine S. Breslin, Oneida, Saturday at 4:30 p.m.
Rev. Dr. George Brown Swinnerton, retired pastor of the First Presbyterian church of Oneida, officiated.
The bride, who was given in marriage by her father, was gowned in an aqua net bouffant dress with fitted lace bodice and short puffed sleeves, worn over aqua taffeta. She carried a bouquet of white roses.
Mrs. Herbert R. Decker of Easton, Pa., a sister of the bride, was matron of honor and wore pink marquisette over taffeta, made princess style with a bolero and puffed sleeves. She carried a bouquet of pink roses and blue delphinium.
James Martin of Vernon, a brother of the bridegroom, was best man.
Mrs. Breslin, mother of the bride, selected navy lace and wore a corsage of gardenias. Mrs. Martin, mother of the bridegroom, wore navy printed sheer with a corsage of gardenias.
Following the ceremony, a reception was held at the home. Regal lilies and delphinium were used as decorations. A trio, composed of Miss Zillah Holmes, pianist; Clyde Dale, cellist, and Miss Vivian Clark, violinist, played during the reception.
The bride’s gift to the bridegroom was a gold tie chain and pin, and to her matron of honor a gold vanity case. A gold link bracelet was the bridegroom’s gift to the bride. The best man’s gift, from the bridegroom was a gold cigarette case.
The couple then left on a wedding trip through the New England states. As a going-away costume, the bride selected paristan (?) with wheat color accessories.
Mrs. Martin, a graduate of Oneida High school and the Crane department of music at Potsdam State Normal school in 1935, taught for one year in Evans Mills high school and for the past two years has been director of music at Potsdam High school.
Mr. Martin, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Vernon F. Martin of Vernon, is a graduate of Vernon High school and Hamilton college where he was affiliated with the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity. He has been an instructor in mathematics at Potsdam High school for three years and the last year occupied a similar teaching position in Monticello High school.
Mr. and Mrs. Martin will be at home in Monticello in September.
J. H. HARTEN, 53, REDWOOD, DEAD (1938)
Redwood, July 29. -- James Henry Harten, 53, lifelong farmer of this section, died at 9:20 yesterday morning at his farm home near here following ill health of two years’ duration. A complication of ailments caused his death.
Mr. Harten was born at Pamelia Aug. 29, 1884, son of James H. and Elizabeth Coventry Harten. During his childhood he lived with his parents in Watertown and attended school there. His entire adult life was spent on farms in this vicinity.
On his 24th birthday Mr. Harten married Miss Leone Klock of Lafargeville, who survives.
Other survivors are one sister, Mrs. Earl Griffin of Alexandria Bay, and one brother, Burton P. Harten, 842 Leray street, Watertown.
The funeral will be held from the home at 2 p.m. (E. S. T.) Saturday, with Rev. Louis Bruce, Plessis Methodist pastor, officiating. Interment will be in the Plessis cemetery.
V. G. CATLIN, 20, REDWOOD, DIES
Redwood, July 9. -- Victor George Catlin, 20, died at 5:30 this morning in the Mercy hospital at Watertown, where he had been a patient since June 11. Death was attributed to complications.
He was born in Redwood, July 22, 1917, a son of Earl and Lottie Bentley Catlin. He attended the local schools and was graduated from the Redwood high school in 1935. He had lived all his life in this village.
Surviving are his parents, four brothers, Charles, Dewey and Chester of New York and Ivan Catlin of Redwood; three sisters, Mrs. Peter (Myrtle) Burtis, New York; Mrs. Edward (Olive) Reed and Miss Lois Catlin, Redwood.
Funeral services will be held Tuesday afternoon at 1:30 from the home and a half hour later from St. Paul’s Lutheran church. Rev. R. F. Henderson will officiate.
Charles H. Nindl of Clayton and Miss Norma Bell Castell of the town of Orleans were married at the parsonage of the First Methodist Episcopal church Thursday at 8 p.m. by Rev. Albert E. Abbott, pastor.
Attendants were Miss Marilyn Castell, a sister of the bride, and Wayne William.
The couple will make their home at Clayton where Mr. Nindl is employed as a cheesemaker.
Dr. M. W. Locke Paid Tribute at Banquet
Hands of Williamsburg, Ont., Physician, Modeled in Bronze, Presented to Him.
Ottawa, Ont., July 21. -- A world famous pair of hands--those of Dr. M. W. Locke of the tiny hamlet of Williamsburg--modeled in bronze, were presented to their owner last night before an audience of 150 admiring patients at the Chateau Laurier.
In the past five years Dr. Locke has treated almost a million patients who have come to Williamsburg from every province, state and country on the globe.
Grateful for the cures he has effected, some of which have been classed as near miracles, a group of his former patients formed a “Friends of Dr. Locke Committee.”
Last night they presented him with a concrete expression of their regard when they gave him a bronze casting of his hands, sculptured by the Italian, Deno Buralli, and a large testimonial book, containing several thousand letters of appreciation.
Serving as toastmaster at the dinner was Colonel A. C. Casselman, K. C., M. P. opposition whip in the House of Commons, and a member of parliament from Dr. Locke’s home district. He credited Dr. Locke with having been solely responsible for the growth of the town in which he lives, and told the audience how every person in Williamsburg, either directly or indirectly, is dependent on the doctor for his or her livelihood. A situation which exists nowhere else in the world. Even the concrete road which runs six miles from the main highway terminates at Dr. Lock’s door.
The toast to Dr. Locke was responded to by Mrs. Locke. Later Dr. Locke spoke of the debt of gratitude he owed his friends in the United States and Canada for the banquet and presentations. He remarked that the mainspring of his work as a physician had been striving for the glory of God, alleviation of human suffering and work for the general benefit of mankind.
Miss Johan S. Kimmons (sic) , one of his patients, sang “Homing” by Del Riego, and other solos.
Mrs. William D. Sporborg of New York, legislative chairman of the American Federation of Women’s Clubs, made the presentation to Dr. Locke.
BALTZ-MELLON NUPTIALS HELD (1938)
Clayton, Aug. 31. -- Miss Alberta E. Mellon, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George L. Mellon of Chaumont, was married to Anson J. Baltz, son of Leigh Baltz of Alexandria Bay, Wednesday evening, Aug. 24, here by Very Rev. Henry W. Bell, rector of Christ Episcopal church. Attendants were Miss Phyllis Lehr and Clarence Poth.
After a weekend trip to Syracuse the couple established their home on a farm near Alexandria Bay.
MUCH MORE TO FOLLOW
Return to Jefferson County Tidbits
Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page