DARLING - GAMBILL
MISS DORCAS H. DARLING TO WED(July 1938)
Rev. and Mrs. Norman A. Darling of Cape Vincent today announced the engagement of their only daughter, Miss Dorcas Harriet Darling, to Rev. George W. Gambill, jr., of Tampa, Fla. Plans for their marriage will be announced later.
Miss Darling, a native of Plessis, is a graduate of the Camden high school, the State Teachers’ college and Columbia university. She taught French for a year in the high school at Davenport and for four years taught French and Latin at the Owen D. Young school at VanHornesville. For the past two years she has been instructor in French in the Port Jefferson high school, L. I.
Rev. Mr. Darling, her father, is pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church at Cape Vincent.
Rev. Mr. Gimbill was born at Ridgely, Tenn., and is the only son of Mr. and Mrs. George W. Gambill of Sulphur Spriings, Fla. He is a graduate of Florida Southern college, Lakeland, Fla., where he was a member of Beta Mu fraternity and Gamma Sigma Chi. He expects to complete his graduate work at Emory university, Atlanta, Ga.
Cape Vincent, Sept. 10. --Rev. and Mrs. Norman A. Darling announce the marriage of their daughter, Dorcas Harriet, to Rev. George W. Gambill of Sulphur Springs, Florida. The marriage took place Aug. 26 at Hull, Can.
Mrs. Gambill was graduated from Camden High school, Albany State Teachers college, and has a M. A. degree from Columbia college. She has resumed her duties as teacher for this year in the Port Jefferson High school and Rev. Mr. Gambill, a graduate of Lakeland college, Lakeland, Fla., will spend this year at Emery Theological seminary at Atlanta, Ga.
MRS. GEORGE A. ROY
Redwood, Aug. 1. (1938) -- Mrs. George A. Roy, 73, a resident of this village for 50 years, died at 3:30 this morning at her home here after a short illness resulting from a heart attack suffered a week ago.
She was born in Rossie on Christmas day, 1864, the daughter of Patrick and Mary McAvoy, and came to this village shortly after her marriage to Mr. Roy on May 16, 1888. Before her marriage she taught school in rural districts near Rossie.
An active member of St. Francis Xavier church and the Rosary society here, she sang in the church choir for a number of years. She also was a member of Kirkland grange and served as its lecturer at one time.
Her husband died Sept. 20, 1937. She is survived by three children, Mrs. Frank Neville of Utica, Mrs. Eva Butler of Schenectday, and George A. Roy, Syracuse attorney. There are also living one sister, Mrs. Anna Yerdon of Cape Vincent, and two brothers, Thomas McAvoy and John McAvoy, both of Watertown.
Funeral services will be held at 9 (E.S.T.) Wednesday morning from St. Francis church, Rev. W. J. Charbonneau will officiate. Interment will be in the local cemetery.
J. H. CAVANAUGH
J. H. CAVANAUGH, 37, DIES IN WEST(1938)
Theresa, Aug. 31. --John Hayes Cavanaugh, 37, native of this section, died in Albuquerque, N. M., Tuesday evening at 7:10 according to word received here today.
He had been in the west eight years for his health. He lived in Colorado, California and New Mexico. For three years before going west, he was a patient at the Jefferson county sanatorium.
Mr. Cavanaugh was born in the town of Alexandria, Dec. 29, 1900, a son of Edward E. and Mary Hayes Cavanaugh.
He married in December, 1932. Mrs. Cavanaugh survives him.
Surviving besides his widow, Mrs. Ruth Cavanaugh, are a brother, Francis, of Theresa; four sisters, Margaret M., Theresa, Mrs. James Hunt, Alexandria Bay, Mrs. Walter Major, Rochester, and Mrs. Albert Kelly, Jamesville; several aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews.
Funeral services and burial will be held in Albuquerque.
Daughter Is Born
Redwood, Sept. 27. -- Mr. and Mrs. Erwin Rexford are parents of a daughter, born on Monday morning at the Rexford home. Dr. E. E. Eddy was the attending physician.
MR. and MRS. SIDNEY SWEET
THERESA COUPLE IS 50 YEARS WED(1938)
(individual photos of Mr. and Mrs. Sweet accompanied the write-up)
Theresa, Aug. 9. -- Mr. and Mrs. Sidney W. Sweet quietly celebrated their golden wedding at their home here Monday, with friends and relatives calling to extend congratulations.
A more extensive observance had been considered, but the illness of Mr. Sweet prevented it.
Mr. and Mrs. Sweet were married on Aug. 8, 1888, at the Evans Mills Presbyterian parsonage by Rev. Nathaniel B. Andrus. Sarah L. Andrus and Carl Blodgett were the attendants. Mr. Sweet was a contractor and carpenter until later.
Mr. Sweet is a native of Wells island, son of William and Hannah Hosmer* Sweet.
Mrs. Sweet, the former Eva Plato, is a relative of the Brown family, her people being of the General Brown branch. Her forefather fought in the War of 1812 and the Civil War and a son of Mr. and Mrs. Sweet died in the World war. Mrs. Sweet is a member of the D. A. R. and of the Ladies of the G. A. R. Mr. Sweet's ancestors were in the early wars of this nation and his father fought in the Patriot's war and the Civil war.
Thirty-eight years ago last April Mr. and Mrs. Sweet came to Theresa, buying a house and lot in the Main street section. Three children were born to them, Larece (sic) and Forrest dying within two weeks of each other in the fall of 1895. Verne died in the World war.
Mr. Sweet served many years as a police chief in this village and was for two years a village trustee.
Mrs. Sweet has been active in the local Progress club and is the present treasurer. She has served as district chairman of the federated clubs of this district. She is active in church work, being one of the organizers of the Fellowship club of the Presbyterian church.
*Typist’s Note: The “Hosmer” spelling is just one of three variations of the name, Hasner and Hosner. The name is usually seen as “Hosner.” (from typist’s personal database)
SYLVIA G. WHITAKER
MRS. SYLVIA G. WHITAKER, 72, SOUTH HAMMOND NATIVE, DIES(1938)
Auburn, Sept. 12. --Mrs. Sylvia Gordan Whitaker, 72, widow of Elmer C. Whitaker, died last night at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Frank Hurd, 11 Adams street. She was born at South Hammond, N. Y., and had lived in Auburn 35 years.
Surviving besides her daughter, are a granddaughter, Evelyn S. Hurd, Auburn, a brother, Obed Gordan, South Hammond.
Prayer services will be held here tomorrow with concluding services Wednesday at the Box funeral home, Watertown. Burial will be at North Watertown.
LAST RITES FOR MRS. SYLVIA M. WHITAKER (1938)
Funeral services for Mrs. Sylvia M. Whitaker, 72, who died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Frank Hurd of Auburn on Sunday evening, were held Wednesday afternoon at 4 from the William R. Box Funeral home. Rev. Dr. George Harlan McClung, pastor of Asbury Methodist Episcopal church, officiated. Burial was made in the family plot at North Watertown cemetery.
Mrs. Whitaker , widow of Elmer C. Whitaker, was born in South Hammond in 1866 and was married to Mr. Whitaker, town of Theresa, in 1883. They made their home in the town of Alexandria after their marriage until they moved to Watertown a number of years ago. Mr. Whitaker conducted a store on Court street about 35 years ago. He died in Auburn in 1924.
Surviving besides her daughter, Mrs. Hurd, are a granddaughter, Evelyn S. Hurd; a brother, O. H. Gordon, South Hammond.
SIDNEY W. SWEET
SIDNEY W. SWEET EXPIRES, AGED 70 (1938)
MAN HAD BEEN IN FAILING HEALTH FIVE YEARS
WELL KNOWN THERESA RESIDENT
Former Village Trustee, Member
of Water Board, Chief of Po-
lice and Village Fireman--Fun-
eral to Be Held Saturday.
Theresa, Sept. 15. -- Sidney W. Sweet, 70, member of a pioneer family and retired carpenter and builder, died at his home on Pine street, this village, Wednesday afternoon at 1:55 after an illness of five years.
Mr. Sweet suffered an embolism in August, 1933 and he was confined to his home for months. He partly recovered and was able to spend some time at his summer home at Clear Lake and be about the village streets. Last March 1 he suffered another embolism and he was confined to bed since that time, unable to speak.
He was born near Plessis on May 13, 1868, the youngest son of William Dennis and Hannah Hosmer Sweet. Mr. Sweet came of pioneer ancestors, his grandparents on his father's side, of Welsh descent, entering this county when it was a wilderness. On his mother's side the Hosmers played an important part in the Revolutionary war. William D. Sweet together with an elder brother, Sylvanius, took an active part in the Patriot war of 1838. Sylvanius was executed at Kingston following their capture after the Windmill battle for shooting an English officer. William D., on account of his youth, won a pardon from Queen Victoria, and when the Civil war broke out, together with his brother, Samuel, he enlisted in the Tenth Heavy Artillery, serving for three years. His brother, Samuel, died during the war.
Sidney Sweet, on Aug. 8, 1888, married Miss Eva L. Swartwout, also of Plessis. To them were born three children, Lawrence G., who died Sept. 15, 1895, aged four years; Forest S., who died Oct. 5, 1895, aged seven months, and Verne A., who grew to manhood and entered the World war, being discharged for illness after less than a year in service. He died June 26, 1920, aged 30 years.
Early in life Mr. Sweet entered the employ of the late E. D. Sheley and learned the carpenter and joiner trade, later becoming a contractor. Many of the buildings through the county stand as monuments to his skill. For three years he was superintendent of building in Deferiet.
In 1900 he moved to Theresa where he took an active part in village activities, serving for many years as a volunteer fireman and for 20 years as chief of police. He also served for a term of years on the water board and for three years as village trustee.
Mr. Sweet was a charter member of Court Victories, I. O. F. serving in various offices, among them chief ranger.
Surviving are his wife, his daughter-in-law of Rochester, five nephews and six nieces.
The funeral will be held Saturday, Sept. 17, at 1:15 p.m. at the home and at 2 p.m. from the Giltz funeral home. The minister in charge will be Rev. J. C. Stoddard of Sackets Harbor, assisted by the Rev. C. G. Cady and Rev. W. Sheldon Bishop.
The bearers are to be: P. E. Porter, J. N. Cline and Frank Bellinger, who acted as bearers at the funeral of their sons, Laurence and Forest. Fred Gibbons, Claude Makepeace and Horatio Norton, friends of the family.
The honorary bearers, firemen, are: Fred S. Rodenhurst, John Bowles, Philip McHugh, Thomas Peddie, Charles Bulson and Anson Hoover. Burial will be in Oakwood cemetery in the family plot.
ELTON E. COON
TWO MEN MEET AFTER 56 YEARS
ONCE TEACHER AND PUPIL
Until Wednesday Two Had Not
Seen Each Other Since Mr.
Cheeseman Taught at Hunger-
ford Institute at Adams and Mr.
Coon Studied There Before
Going to West Point.
Theresa, Sept. 1. --Meeting for the first time in 56 years, teacher and pupil of the early 1880’s held a reunion Wednesday at Omar. The teacher was William Cheeseman, 88, Theresa, the pupil, Elton E. Coon, 77, Omar. (penciled underline of Mr. Coon’s name and “taught in Plessis”)
In 1881 Elton E. Coon entered Hungerford institute at Adams. The head of the commercial department was William Cheeseman. The two had a warm friendship, but after Mr. Coon left the institute in 1882 to enter West Point as a cadet by appointment they never met again until yesterday.
Mr. Cheeseman began his work as commercial teacher in the Hungerford institute in the 1870’s and was with that school ten years. Before that he was a teacher in rural schools in this section. He married Miss Mary Pool, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Charles Pool, here in 1883. Mr. Cheeseman is a son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Clifford Cheeseman, pioneers in this section. He is in good health.
Mr. Coon, born Dec. 17, 1860, son of Mr. and Mrs. Elias Coon, has been a school teacher for many terms. He and Mr. Cheeseman visited of school teaching days and Mr. Coon told about teaching at Omar directly after his return from West Point. There he had pupils from eight surrounding district attending an average attendance for the term of 58.
Mr. Cheeseman declared he was one of the last of the old faculty of the Hungerford Institute living. He referred to those days as being unusually pleasant because he had the best of students from all over the state, including eight from New York city.
The only thing the two men did not agree upon was politics. Mr. Coon is an ardent New Dealer while Mr. Cheeseman has always been a Republican.
Mr. Coon remembers his days in West Point when General John J. Pershing entered as a freshman and how quiet he was as he began his course there.
ROBERTSON - BURTCH
Alexandria Bay, Sept. 24 (1938) -- Gregory Burtch, well known resident of this village, was married to Miss Beverly Robertson of Los Angeles, Calif., on Sept. 14 at Ogden, Utah, according to a letter received here by parents of Mr. Burtch, Mr. and Mrs. William Burtch.
Mr. Burtch is a graduate of the local high school and has spent the winter months during the past five years in Miami, Fla., returning here each spring to work here during the summer months.
Miss Robertson was employed at the Crossmon House during the past season as a waitress and for the past four years she has worked in Miami, Fla.
MRS. JENNIE T. LILLIE, 70, DIES
Theresa, Sept. 13. (1938) -- Mrs. Jennie Timmerman Lillie, 70, died suddenly at her home in Riverside avenue, this village, at 7:30 a.m. today from a heart disease attack.
She had been about the village until about ten days ago when she suffered a fainting spell that caused her to remain indoors. This morning the family were about as usual and Mrs. Lillie seemed to be resting quietly. Soon afterward she seemed to have difficulty in breathing and Dr. Byron Haskin was summoned but she had died before he reached the place.
She was born in what is known as the Backus Settlement in Alexandria in July, 1868, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Horace Timmerman. Her early life was spent there and in Orleans. She was twice married, first to Herman House who for a long term of years conducted the store at Orleans Four Corners and was postmaster, his wife being his assistant. Closing out their store they retired to this village to reside, buying a home on Riverside avenue where she had since made her home. He died several years ago and later she was married to Clinton Lillie of this village. His death occurred three years ago.
She was the last of the family and there remain no brothers or sisters. There are two nieces and a nephew, Mrs. Harry Y. Stone of Watertown, Mrs. Mable Schell of Leray and Clarence Timmerman of Philadelphia. There were no children, but the late Mrs. Ruth Mattison Hartman was brought up in the family.
She was a member of the Methodist church and of the Optimistic class of the church.
JACOB VAN ALLEN
RETIRED RURAL CARRIER GETS LETTER OF PRAISE FROM FARLEY
Evans Mills, Sept. 21. (1938) --Jacob Van Allen of this village, who retired at the age of 65 as a rural mail carrier on Aug. 1, after having served 32 years and five months, has received a letter from Postmaster James A. Farley congratulating him upon the loyalty and officiency (sic) of his long service.
Mr. Farley enclosed an autographed photograph of himself for Mr. Van Allen.
Mr. Van Allen worked out of the Evans Mills postoffice on route one, towns of Pamelia and Leray. Miss Flora Matty is the postmaster. When Mr. VanAllen began his postal work, Wesley Rulison was the postmaster. That was on March 1, 1906. Mr. Van Allen has served under four postmasters at Evans Mills. He delivered mail with a horse and buggy for about eight years and then began to use an automobile. Mr. Van Allen before the days of plowed roads and automobiles in the winter months at times was forced to walk ten to twelve miles a day to cover his route.
Mr. Van Allen left today for Buffalo to spend a few weeks with his daughter, Mrs. C. J. Tyner. He was accompanied by Mrs. Van Allen.
KING - DAVIS
KARLTON DAVIS, THERESA, WEDS(1938)
(a photo of Mrs. Karlton Davis was included with the write-up)
Theresa, Sept. 1. -- The marriage of Miss Lois King of Rochester to Karlton Davis of this village was announced here yesterday upon the arrival here of Mr. and Mrs. Davis on their wedding trip. They left yesterday noon for Holley where Mr. Davis is an instructor in the public school.
The wedding took place in Canton last Friday, Rev. Clarence C. Stearns, former schoolmate here of Mr. Davis, officiating.
Mrs. Davis is the daughter of Mrs. Joseph King of 804 Lake avenue, Rochester. She completed her school work in Springfield, Mass., where she met Mr. Davis when he began attending Springfield college. She has often visited here.
Mr. Davis is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Glenn Davis, former operators of the Getman House here, now retired. He attended school here but later attended the Manlius Military school. He entered Springfield college and took special work in athletics. He was engaged by well known teams as pitcher and traveled through the south and parts of the north with his teams.
He is now beginning his third year as instructor in Holley, teaching social and special science. He has charge of the athletics of the school.
Mr. and Mrs. Davis will live at 19 Main street, Holley, after the opening of school.
Attending Mr. and Mrs. Davis when they were married were John Heller of this village and Miss May MacGruer of Ogdensburg.
MR. AND MRS. CHARLES A. WILSONTheresa Couple to Note 50th Wedding Anniversary (1938)
(large photo of the couple included)
Theresa, Sept. 22. -- The golden wedding of Mr. and Mrs. Charles A. Wilson, charter members of Theresa grange and leaders in the Methodist church, will be celebrated at the Wilson home here Saturday, with an open house on Sunday. Plans call for the gathering of nieces, nephews and other relatives Saturday afternoon from 3 to 5 (E.S.T.) Others included in the afternoon reception will be Rev. and Mrs. U. B. Grant, Mrs. Anna Hancock and Mrs. C. E. Hastings.
At 7 p.m. the children, grandchildren and the great-grandchildren will join in the celebration.
On Sunday afternoon friends and neighbors will call at the home.
Mrs. Wilson is a native of Alexandria, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Rundlett. Her parents celebrated their 60th anniversary in 1910. Charles Rundlett walked from Vermont to northern New York in 1817, passing through Theresa and settling on the banks of Clear lake. Two years later he heard someone chopping across the lake and went over. He married the daughter.
On the banks of Hyde lake Benjamin Wilson, grandfather of Charles Wilson, settled and the farm has been in the family ever since. This fall a son of Charles, great-grandson of Benjamin, will operate the place. Mr. Wilson’s parents were Charles and Phylista Wilson. This family also came from Vermont. Oshea Goss, a pioneer teacher, was a member of this family.
When Theresa grange was founded in 1890 Mr. and Mrs. Wilson joined and are the last husband and wife living of that charter list. Mr. Wilson has served through the chairs, having served as master a number of terms. He is now the insurance director. Forty-five years ago he was elected a trustee of the Methodist church and has served ever since. He served as town assessor for a term. Mrs. Wilson has served as Sunday school teacher and an officer in the Missionary society.
Mrs. Wilson, was a teacher for five years. In 1880, when 17, she taught at Collins Landing. She taught for $4 per week. Later she taught at Plessis village and Omar.
The wedding took place at the Rundlett home on Sept. 25, 1888, at 7 a.m. Rev. Parks Evans of the Reformed church, Alexandria Bay, officiated. The couple drove to Theresa to take the morning train for the Mohawk valley. Two persons who attended the wedding are still living, Arthur Rundlett of Detroit Lakes, Minn., and Mrs. Abbie Rundlett Rowell of Carthage.
The children are Mrs. Ross (Hattie) Hunter and Mrs. Earl (Lora) Hunter of Alexandria and Alfred of Theresa. The guest list Saturday evening will include Mr. and Mrs. Ross Hunter, Mr. and Mrs. Roscoe Hunter, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Hunter, Thomas and Ida Hunter, Mr. and Mrs. Earl Hunter, Jack, Richard, Alvaro, Paul and Douglas Hunter of Alexandria, Elizabeth Hunter of Jordan, Mr. and Mrs. Alfred C. Wilson, Roger, Neil and Mary Margaret Wilson of Theresa, Mrs. Ida Hunter and Mr. and Mrs. Edward Haas of Alexandria; Mr. Wilson’s sister, Mrs. Eunice Stottler, and Mrs. Wilson’s sister, Mrs. Abbie Rowell, Carthage.
SIMONDS - ORTLIEB
MISS GRACE M. SIMONDS WED(1938)
Miss Grace M. Simonds, Philadelphia, and Joseph L. Ortlieb of Redwood were married at 3 Monday afternoon at the Concordia Lutheran church here. Rev. F. K. Vogt, pastor, officiated.
The only attendant was a sister of the bride, Mrs. Thomas Cooke, 624 Lansing street.
The couple left on a motor trip through the Adirondacks and upon their return will make their home at Redwood.
Mrs. Ortlieb is the daughter of Mrs. Florence Simonds and the late George Simonds of Philadelphia. Mr. Ortlieb is the son of Mrs. Delia Ortlieb and the late Louis Ortlieb. He is a farmer.
RALPH E. STANTON
Lafargeville, Oct. 18. (1938) -- Ralph E. Stanton, eight-year old son of Ellis and Doris Getman Stanton of Lafargeville, died at 9:45 this morning at the House of the Good Samaritan in Watertown where he had been a patient since last Tuesday. Death was attributed to leukemia, a blood infection.
The boy had been ill since Sept. 7. He was admitted to the hospital on Sept. 11 but left on Sept. 21. He was re-admitted to the hospital Oct. 2.
Ralph was born at Lafargeville on Sept. 19, 1930, and was a pupil in the third grade at the time of his death.
He is survived by his parents; his maternal grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Getman of Lafargeville, and his paternal grandfather, William Stanton, who resides near Gouverneur.
Funeral services will be held Thursday afternoon at 1:30 from the home and at 2 from the Omar Methodist Episcopal church. Rev. William Aubrey, pastor, will officiate.
Burial will be in Omar cemetery.
MRS. JESSIE P. RAPPOLE, 76, DIES
Theresa, Sept. 10. (1938) - Mrs. Jessie Porter Rappole, 76, died at her home in Riverside avenue, this village, at 5:15 a.m. Today from a heart attack.
She had suffered from a heart condition for several years. She had complained of a fainting feeling to her daughter, Miss Marguerite Rappole, at 5:10 and stimulates were being given when she died.
She was born near Brownville on Aug. 10, 1862, daughter of Freeman and Almeda Hough Porter. Her youth was spent in Jefferson county but when she was 18 she went with her parents to Dakota to take up a claim. She resided there five years. On March 31, 1887, she was married to Carson J. Rappole of West Theresa and much of her married life was spent on the Rappole homestead. About 15 years ago she and her husband retired to this village. He died Aug. 10, 1925. He was the organizer of the Theresa grange.
Mrs. Rappole was a member of the Methodist church here. There were three daughters, the eldest, Louise Rappole Bates, dying some four years ago. Mrs. Rappole is the last of her large family of brothers and sisters. She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Gladys Snell and Miss Marguerite Rappole. There are five grandchildren.
The funeral services will be held on Tuesday afternoon at 2 from the Methodist Episcopal church. Rev. U. B. Grant, pastor, officiating. Burial will be in the family plot in Oakwood cemetery.
WEEKS - HALL
MISS MARION S. WEEKS IS BRIDE(1938)
Lafargeville, Oct. 27. -- The marriage of Miss Marion S. Meeks, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Dexter Meeks of Clayton, and Earle E. Hall, son of Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Hall of the town of Alexandria, took place Oct. 15 at Hallstead, Pa.
The bride was gowned in a gray suit with blue accessories and carried a bouquet of white roses.
Mrs. Hall was born in the town of Clayton and attended Clayton High school. She has been employed here the past year.
Mr. Hall is a native of the town of Alexandria and has been employed on the farm of Clark Sargent.
After Nov. 1 Mr. and Mrs. Hall will be at home on the Augsbury farm now owned by Mr. Hall’s brother, Roy Hall.
CARD OF THANKS
We wish to thank our kind friends and neighbors for the lovely sunshine basket sent Ralph during his illness. We also wish to thank them for the use of cars, the beautiful flowers and the many other expressions of sympathy shown us during our bereavement.
Mr. and Mrs. Ellis Stanton
Lafargeville, N. Y.
C. W. CORNWALL
C. W. Cornwall to Note 90th Birthday Sunday(1938)
(photo of Mr. Cornwall included: “TO BE 90 SUNDAY”
Alexandria Bay, Oct. 29. -- Charles Walton Cornwall, member of a pioneer family of this village, will celebrate his 90th birthday Sunday. He plans to note the event according to his usual Sunday routine--attend church services at the Reformed church, eat his dinner at the Carleton hotel, take a walk and call it a day.
Andrew Cornwall, ancestor of the Alexandria Bay Cornwalls, emigrated from England with his family about 1710, to settle in Old Chatham, Conn., where three generations of the family lived and died. Andrew Cornwall, great-grandfather of Charles, one of the third generation living in Connecticut, fought in the Revolution and after the close of the war died of wounds received at the battle of Bennington.
Andrew Cornwall, grandfather of Charles, with two brothers, went “west,” which in those days was into the Genesee country, stopping at a little settlement called Rochester. The place did not seem to have a future and they turned back to pick Pultneyville (Wayne county) as their future home. There was a saw and grist mill doing a flourishing business.
There Andrew Cornwall, father of Charles, was born March 25, 1814. He attended district school winters and worked on the farm summers until he was 13 when he entered the general store of John Reynolds and worked as bookkeeper and clerk for 13 years. Failing health caused him to decide upon a change so he purchased a small vessel and started sailing the lakes. After three years he decided to sell the ship, being much improved in health. He had married Mary C. Calhoon of Wayne county, (daughter of Captain Calhoon of the Revolution) and in 1844 they moved to Redwood to enter the employ of DeYoung and Burlingame, manufacturers of glass. At Alexandria Bay Azariah Walton had been notified that he was to be appointed head of the customs house and desired an active man to look after his business, a general store. This brought the Cornwall family to Alexandria Bay.
Charles Cornwall’s school days were spent in Alexandria Bay in the old stone house that stood directly across the street from the Methodist church of today. He has seen three different school buildings stand on that site. One of his teachers, Mrs. Campbell, resides here.
When he finished school, he worked at the Campbell store at 8 Court street, Watertown, for three years. He received $12.50 per month and paid $15 per month for board. His father gave him spending money while he was learning the business of drygoods and carpets.
Mr. Cornwall next worked for John Bugbee, Fenton, Mich., in a big dry goods store. There he and his brother, John, started a dry goods store. The Alexandria Bay firm of Cornwall & Walton was closing and the four Cornwall brothers, Andrew C., Charles, John I., and Harvey A., took over the business under the name of Cornwall Brothers. That was April 1, 1877. The business was continued uninterruptedly until 1930, when the business was dissolved. Mr. Cornwall retired in 1921.
Mr. Cornwall recalls incidents that took place here of which his father told him.
“I remember father’s saying that when he started his store here there were no sidewalks at the corner of Market and James street and the mud was so deep that he took logs, had them flattened on one side and laid side by side for a sidewalk so folks could better get to the store. What is now the main corner was a farm with mud so deep in the barnyard in the spring of the year that the cows hated to cross the place.
“Of course most people know that Mr. Walton owned all the islands on the American side from Clayton to Morristown and my father acquired a third interest in them. They bought them for the timber and cut off the wood to sell to the old propellers, as we called the line of steamboats in those days. They had cut as much as 16,000 cords of wood in a year. I remember when we paid 50 cents a cord for cutting such wood and men have told me that they lived more contentedly those years than now. We sold islands for as low as $40 to start people locating here as a summer resort. Fifteen of some of those islands are now within the corporate limits of Alexandria Bay. But Heart island is a different story. Our family brought about the sale for Mr. Boldt. The owner told us he wouldn’t sell short of $20,000 and Mr. Boldt snapped him up mighty quick. Back in my younger days the islands were lighted with lanterns.
“When our store was running we carried everything that was ever asked for. We prided ourselves on that. We had 13 people working in the business and added 20 feet to the front of the store, as well as other enlargements.
“I am a member of the Masonic orders, Blue lodge, chapter, and a life member of the Shrine and Commandery at Watertown. Of course the old steamboat days are over, I mean the days of the line boats which used to run from Ogdensburg to Chicago. They were much used and I always thought the American line overexpanded with boats before the Civil war and they did well to sell off quite a few of their fleet to the government during the war. Yes, I remember President Grant, President Arthur, President Cleveland, also Henry Ward Beecher and T. DeWitt Talmage. They did much to make the Thousand Islands famous.”
Mr. Cornwall married Nellie Hearst of Flint, Mich., and since her death he has made his home in different places, residing now at the Carleton hotel. He has no children. Harvey A. Cornwall, residing in the Bay, now past 80, is, with Charles W., the last of the Cornwall brothers.
REBEKAHS OFFICERS INSTALLED
Redwood, Oct. 14. (1938) -- Officers were installed at a regular meeting of Redwood Rebekah lodge Tuesday evening.
District Deputy Beatrice Griffin and her staff of Jefferson district No. 4, conducted the installation.
The elective officers installed were: Noble grand, Lulu Williams; vice grand, Fannie Johnston; recording secretary, Laura Herbison; financial secretary, Grace Kabel.
Appointive officers installed were: Warden, Lillie Skinner; conductress, Alice Manning; chaplain, Ruth Smith; right support noble grand, Sarah Ferguson; left support noble grand, Hazel Donovan; right support vice grand, Lillian Piper; left support vice grand, Wava Ripley; inside guardian Minnie Joyner; musician, Ruth Reynolds; sitting past grand, Lulu Williams.
The treasurer-elect Blanche Johnston and the outside guardian, Maude Shannon, were absent and will be installed later by Past District Deputy President Ida Wills.
EVERETTE VON DRESSER
PLESSIS FARMER EXPIRES, AGED 70 (1938)
Plessis, Oct. 4. -- Everette Von Dresser, 70, a lifelong resident of this section, died at an Ogdensburg hospital this morning of pernicious anemia after a long illness.
He was born in Alexandria Bay on July 24, 1868, the son of Richard and Eliza Busler VonDresser. About 45 year ago he married Clara Hunneyman at Plessis. He was a member of Plessis grange and a farmer.
Besides his wife, he leaves a daughter, Mrs. Harold (Laura) Simpson of Plessis; a sister, Mrs. Ophelia Thompson of Alexandria Bay; a brother, Morgan, of Saskatchewan, and a half-brother, Mark VonDresser, Alexandria Bay.
Funeral services will be held Thursday at 2 p.m. from the home. Rev. Louis Bruce, pastor of the Plessis Methodist Episcopal church, will officiate. Burial will be in Brookside cemetery, Plessis. The bearers will be Jack Schmidt of Alexandria Bay and Frank Putnam, John Spies, Wallace Bates, George Slate, and H. N. Norton, all of Plessis.
FRED HOTIS OF PLESSIS DIES(1938)
Plessis, Oct. 1. --Fred Hotis, 73, lifelong farmer of this section, died at his home here Friday afternoon at 4 after an illness of three years.
Mr. Hotis was born in Redwood on Feb. 16, 1865, the son of the late George and Katherine Neuroth Hotis. He married Miss Stella Pierce at Theresa, Nov. 20, 1900.
Mr. and Mrs. Hotis had resided at their present home for the past 20 years. Previously they had operated a farm at Redwood for six years and at Omar for twelve years.
Surviving, besides his wife are four daughters, Mrs. Lelie (Muriel) Getman and Mrs. Ronald (Nina) Hunter, both of Plessis, Miss Verah Hotis, a teacher at Seacliff, L. I., and Mrs. Martin (Cora) Hanni, also of Plessis. A brother, Henry Hotis, Theresa, also survives.
Funeral services will be held at the home at 2 p.m. Sunday. Rev. Fred H. Lewis, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church at Mannsville, assisted by the Rev. Louis Bruce, pastor of the church at Plessis will officiate. Bearers will be Clarence Kable and Edward L. Hawkinis, Redwood; M. W. Reed and C. J. Makepeace of Plessis, and Harold Bretsch and Joseph Getman of Lafargeville. Interment will be in Redwood cemetery.
REDWOOD FIRE DEPARTMENT OBSERVES 30TH ANNIVERSARY(1938)
Redwood, Oct. 26. --The fire commissioners of the local fire district held a dinner Monday evening noting the 30th anniversary of the local fire department. Forty were present.
On Oct. 23, 1908, the Redwood fire department was organized as a membership corporation. On Oct. 1, 1932, it was changed to the fire district.
The officers of the corporation were president, E. J. White; secretary, B. L. Hawkins, and treasurer, C. O. Bickehaput. The directors were George Kabel, C. A. Overacker, Clarence Newman, Fred Simons and Fred White.
Charles Spalsbury was the first chief, serving from 1909 to 1913. Other chiefs were Edwin Hartman, 1913-1916; Charles Spalsbury, 1916-1918; William Kimbal, 1915-1919; Bert Decker, 1920; Fred Hartman, 1920-1931; Otto Felder, 1931-1938.
E. J. Ferguson is the present chief.
Carl Bickehaupt was toastmaster at the dinner. Speakers were Fred Rodenhurst of the Theresa fire department, Lee Phillips of the Clayton fire department, Orrin Carr of the Hammond fire department and Chief Ferguson.
The present commissioners are F. G. Jewett, G. L. West, Carl Bickelhaupt, B. L. Hawkins and M. E. Paddock.
RADLEY -- WILTSE
(portion of headline missing) (1938)
Local Attorney to Take Bride on
Oct. 25 -- Ceremony Will Be
Performed in Alexandria Bay.
Mr. and Mrs. George F. Radley, Washington street, Alexandria Bay, today announced the engagement of their daughter, Miss Ruth G. Radley, to Attorney Donald A. Wiltse, Watertown, son of Attorney and Mrs. Clinton R. Wiltse, Crossmon street, Alexandria.
The marriage will take place in the rectory of St. Cyril’s church, Alexandria Bay, on Tuesday morning, Oct. 25. It will be solemnized by Rev. Armand Dussault, pastor of the church.
Mr. Wiltse is one of Watertown’s young attorneys. He was born at Alexandria Bay and was president of the junior class of 1926 and president of the senior class of 1927 of the Alexandria Bay High school. He was the valedictorian of the class of 1927 of the high school.
After completing his high school studies, Attorney Wiltse entered the Univesity of Michigan and was graduated with a degree of B. A. in 1931. He then pursued the law course in that university until the Spring of 1933 when he received a degree of L. L. B.
Upon his graduation from the university he was associated with his father in the Alexandria Bay law firm of Wiltse & DeYoung until he was admitted to practice by the appellate division of the supreme court at Rochester on Oct. 3, 1933.
Attorney Wiltse then came to Watertown and for a time was associated with Attorney Clarence L. Crabb. For the past two years, however, he has been associated with Attorney William K. Mott.
He was recently appointed as attorney for the receiver of the First National Bank of the Thousand Islands at Alexandria Bay. He is a member of the Jefferson County Bar association.
Miss Radley was born at Cape Vincent and moved to Alexandria Bay with her parents when her father was named principal of the Alexandria Bay High school. Her father is now secretary-treasurer and general manager of the Alexandria Bay Lumber company.
Following her graduation from the Alexandria Bay High school, Miss Radley entered St. Lawrence university at Canton. She was graduated from the university in 1931 with a degree of B. A. Since her graduation she has been secretary to her father in the Alexandria Bay Lumber company.
Typist’s Note: Individual photos of Donald A. Wiltse and Ruth G. Radley were included.
RADLEY - WILTSE
MISS RUTH G. RADLEY BRIDE(1938)
Alexandria Bay, Oct. 25. --Miss Ruth G. Radley, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George F. Radley, Washington street, this village, became the bride of Attorney Donald A. Wiltse of Watertown, son of Attorney and Mrs. Clinton R. Wiltse, Crossmon street, this village, at the rectory of St. Cyril’s Catholic church here this morning at 7:45 a.m. Rev. Armand Dussault, pastor of the church, officiated.
Milton Wiltse, brother of the bridegroom, and Mrs. Garrett Service attended the couple.
The bride wore a burgundy suit with matching accessories and a corsage of white roses. Mrs. Service wore a teal blue dress with burgundy accessories and a corsage of yellow roses.
Immediately after the ceremony, the couple left for a motor trip to New York city and Ann Arbor, Mich.
Attorney Wiltse was graduated from the Alexandria Bay High school in 1927 and from the University of Michigan in 1931. He received the degree of LL. B. from that university in 1933. He was associated with his father at Alexandria Bay in the law firm of Wiltse & De Young until admitted to practice on Oct. 3, 1933. He then came to Watertown and was associated for a time with Attorney Clarence L. Crabb. For the past two he has been with Attorney William K. Mott. He is attorney for the receiver of the First National bank of the Thousand Islands at Alexandria Bay, and a member of the Jefferson County Bar association.
Mrs. Wiltse was graduated from the Alexandria Bay High school and St. Lawrence university in 1931. She has been secretary to her father in the Alexandria Bay Lumber company since her graduation.
WILLIX - LAMBERT
MISS MARGARET WILLIX BRIDE OF HARRY LAMBERT
Alexandria Bay, Oct. 3. (1938) -- Miss Margaret Willix, daughter of Gordon Willix and lifelong resident of this village, was married to Harry Lambert of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., at 8 Wednesday morning by the Rev. Earl D. Compton, pastor of the Reformed church here at the Reformed church parsonage.
Mrs. Lambert is a graduate of the local high school and during the past year has been employed by the Ward insurance agency here.
Mr. Lambert is the son of Harry Lambert of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and the late Ruth Lee Lambert of this village. During the past summer he has been employed as chef at the Corner restaurant.
Following the wedding ceremony, the young couple left for Fort Lauderdale, Fla., where they will spend the winter months.
GREEN - MILLER
(portion of headline missing)
Daughter of Mr. and Mrs.
R. J. Green, Lowville,
Becomes Bride of Deer
River Man in Rustic
(photo of Mrs.George E. Miller included with the write-up)
Lowville, Oct. 17 (1938). -- The wedding of Miss Frances Josephine Green, younger daughter of Mr. and Mrs. R. J. Green, Shady avenue, to George Ellmer Miller, elder son of Mr. and Mrs. Lewis F. Miller of Deer River, took place at the summer camp of Mr. and Mrs. Green at Lake Lowdale at 3:30 Sunday afternoon.
The rustic log cabin was decorated with autumn foliage and candles. The ceremony was performed before the lighted fireplace by Rev. O. T. Anderson, pastor of the Presbyterian church. Only immediate members of the families were in attendance. The bride was attended by her sister, Miss Vivian Green of Lake Mahopac, and Everette Miller, brother of the bridegroom was best man.
Mrs. Miller was married in a Carolyn sport dress of natural Anakara wool with brown accessories. She wore a corsage of dark red roses. Miss Green was attired in a sport dress of wool in teal blue with dubonet accessories. She wore a corsage of talisman roses. For her going-away outfit the bride wore the same dress in which she was married with a teal blue felt hat, Londonaire style, brown gloves, purse and shoes of elephant skin and camel’s hair cloth coat.
Following a motor trip through eastern Canada, Mr. and Mrs. Mill will reside in the first floor apartment of the home of Mrs. Anna Abbott in Deer River.
The bride was graduated from Lowville academy where she was a member of the Delta Gamma Delta sorority and active in basketball. She also graduated from the School of Dental Hygience of the Rochester Dental dispensary. For the past two and a half years she has been with the old age assistance division of the Lewis county welfare department.
Mr. Miller is a graduate of the Carthage High school and attended Clarkson College of Technology in Potsdam, where he was affiliated with the Theta Pi Epsilon fraternity. He was active in football and baseball. Mr. Miller now owns and operates a general trucking business out of Carthage and Deer River.
Pre-nuptial events given for the couple were a supper party by Dr. and Mrs. L. M. Campbell at their cottage at Lake Lowdale and an evening party at the Parquet hotel, Constableville, by the Grinders club. Parties for the bride also were given by Mrs. Robert I. Lipton of New York city and Mrs. Harry Stein of Castorland at the home of their parents, Mr. and Mrs. Louis Buff, Division street; (?) linen shower, the women employes at the county buildings, a kitchen shower. Mrs. John L. Schuyler, Watertown, a tea at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Dickinson E. Griffith; a variety shower given by Mrs. W. J. Milligan, Mrs. William F. O’Hare and Miss Martha Milligan; a supper bridge by Mrs. Fred A. Young and Mrs. Lawrence Wardell at the home of Mrs. Young, and a tea Saturday afternoon by Mrs. Green and Miss Green.
CORA B. CHIDESTER
TEACHER KILLED, FALLS ON STAIRS
ACCIDENT OCCURS AT ALEXANDRIA BAY HOME
DIES OF FRACTURED SKULL
Miss Cora B. Chidester, 53, Meets
Death in Fall Down Flight of
Alexandria Bay, Oct. 14 (1938) -- Miss Cora B. Chidester, 53, veteran public school teacher of Brooklyn, was killed at about 9 last night when she fell about six feet down a flight of cellar stairs at the home of her sister, Mrs. Belle E. Rappole, 36 Walton street, with whom she was spending a year’s leave of absence. Death was caused by a fracture of the skull.
Miss Chidester came here from Brooklyn at the close of school in June. She had taught 30 years and was eligible for retirement on a pension in five years. She was also entitled to another year’s leave of absence, which she expected to take later.
The tragedy happened in a two-family home owned by Miss Chidester. She had gone from the Rappole apartment to the other apartment, which had been vacated recently, and was taking measurements preparatory to having the room papered. She intended to go to Watertown today to purchase the wall paper.
Miss Chidester had an impediment in her walk as the result of a hip disease suffered when she was a child. The accident happened in a small pantry off the dining room. In the pantry floor is a trap door over the stairs leading to the cellar.
The trap door cover had been lifted. Unaware of this fact, Miss Chidester fell through the opening as she went about her work and plunged down the nine steps, striking her head on a rock base of a post. She was knocked unconscious.
Sheriff Brayton E. Peck of Watertown, who investigated with Deputy Sheriff Arthur Sprague of Watertown, said that plumbers had been in the cellar of the house recently to repair the furance and might have forgotten to lower the trap door.
Dr. Frank Gillick, local dentist, who had been called to give Mrs. Rappole dental treatment, heard Miss Chidester fall and went to her aid. He called Mrs. Mary Davis, registered nurse residing across the street, and they carried Miss Chidester upstairs. The woman died about five minutes after the accident.
Dr. Leon L. Samson of this village, who was called, attributed death to a skull fracture. He was appointed coroner’s physician in the case by District Attorney Carl J. Hynes of Watertown.
Miss Chidester’s glasses fell from her face in the fall and were found unbroken on the cellar floor.
Miss Chidester was born at Philadelphia, N. Y., Sept. 9, 1885, a daughter of the late Herbert B. and Ida Baxter Chidester. She attended school at Philadelphia and later was graduated from the Copenhagen high school. The family moved to the Davenport house in Copenhagen in 1898.
Following her graduation from high school, Miss Chidester entered the Potsdam Normal school, from which she was graduated. A mathematics teacher, she taught for two years in the Patchogue, L. I., high school and for the last 28 years she had been teaching in the Putman avenue high school in Brooklyn.
On a previous sabbatical leave about 30 years ago, she taught algebra in the Alexandria Bay High school for about a year.
Surviving her are two sisters, Mrs. Belle E. Rappole, and Mrs. Lola A. Widner, both of this village; a nephew, John Rappole, Buffalo, and a niece, Miss Lorena Widner, nurse in the Memorial hospital, Syracuse.
Mrs. Rappole is the widow of F. Leroy Rappole, who died suddenly of heart failure while swimming off the Thousand Island House dock here Aug. 31, 1937.
Funeral services for Miss Chidester will be held Saturday afternoon at 2 at the Rappole home. Rev. Earl D. Compton, pastor of the Dutch Reformed church here, will officiate. Burial will be made in North Watertown cemetery.
ALEXANDRIA BAY WOMAN LEFT $6,700 ESTATE
Cora B. Chidester, Alexandria Bay, who died Oct. 13, left an estate of $6,700, according to the petition for probate of her will filed today with Judge Fred A. Grant, surrogate. The will was executed Aug. 10, 1937, and was witnessed by Harold E. Giltz, and Mary R. Davis, Alexandria Bay. Attorney Charles M. Becker, Alexandria Bay, represents the estate. The personalty consists of $4,000 and the realty of $2,700.
Belle E. Rappole, Alexandria Bay, sister, is given 17 shares of Niagara Hudson Power stock and the residence at 8 Walton street, Alexandria Bay.
Lola A. Widner, Alexandria Bay, sister, is given at $1,000 Prudence (sic) bond, a $1,000 and a $500 S. W. Straus bond, a $1,000 Tudor City bond, two Floral Park, L. I., lots, her automobile, 17 shares of Niagara Hudson stock and a $350 note.
A $500 trust fund is set up in a savings account in the Redwood National Bank to provide income for John Rappole, nephew, Buffalo, until he is 30 when he is to get the whole amount. He will be 30 on Feb. 13, 1945.
For Lorena Widner, niece, training in the Syracuse Memorial hospital and similar fund of $3,500 is established, which is to be paid over to her at 30, which will be Aug. 10, 1947. Lorena has already been given the benefit of a $1,000 Continental Group life insurance policy. Also she is to have the testator’s silver, linen, watch and jewelry.
The residue of the estate is to be divided equally between the two sisters, Mrs. Rappole and Mrs. Widner, who are named executrices.
THOMAS J. MARTIN
(portion of headline missing) (1938)
T. J. MARTIN OF REDWOOD WALKING IN VILLAGE STREET
ON WAY TO REDWOOD POSTOFFICE WITH TWO-WHEEL PUSH CART
INQUEST STARTED IN TRAGEDY
Driver Is Fined $5 on Labor Law
Charge--When Truck Came to
a Stop After the Accident, Vic-
tim Lay Short Distance Behind
Thomas J. Martin, 80, prominent Redwood resident and father of Postmaster Louis S. Martin of Redwood, was killed about 6:30 Wednesday evening when he was struck by a large ton-and-a-half fruit and vegetable truck driven by Ralph Misercola, 20, of 300 Haney street, Watertown, on Main street in Redwood.
After the fatality the truck driver was arrested by state police on a charge of violating the labor law, was arraigned before Justics of the Peace B. L. Hawkins of the town of Alexandria, pleaded guilty and was fined $5. Misercola was ordered to appear at a coroner’s inquest started here today by Assistant District Attorney Roy A. Fuller into the death of Mr. Martin.
Mr. Martin, freight and express drayman at Redwood for more than 56 years, was employed to carry mail from the Redwood railroad station to the village post-office. He had carried mail at the village for more than 13 years.
At the time of the accident Mr. Martin was on his way to the post office from the railroad station with his two-wheel pushcart filled with mail. It was raining and visibility was not good, state police said.
Mr. Martin was pushing his car along the concrete on the right portion of Main street when the Misercola truck, proceeding in the same direction, struck the man, knocked him down and hurled him aside.
Did Not See Martin
Misercola was operating a 1937 truck owned by Mrs. Helen M. DeFranco, 109 Spring avenue, wife of Francis F. DeFranco, local fruit and vegetable dealer.
Trooper G. H. Kidney of the Clayton patrol of state police, who investigated the accident with Trooper A. J. Robson, also of Clayton, said that Misercola claimed he did not see Mr. Martin until his truck hit him. Mr. Martin was thrown onto the right shoulder of the street. The cart was thrown to the left side.
When the truck came to a stop after the accident, Mr. Martin lay a short distance behind the truck. Trooper Kidney said he did not believe that the truck ran over the man as Misercola said that he did not feel the truck wheels pass over him.
Trooper Kidney said Misercola estimated the speed of his truck at the time of the accident as being from 18 to 19 miles an hour. Only witnesses of the accident were two or three boys walking along the street.
The officer said that the truck hit both the man and the pushcart. Mr. Martin was pushing the cart by means of a handle across the rear. He was struck by that part of the truck under the right headlight, the trooper said.
Mr. Misercola told the authorities that there were no lights on the pushcart. Trooper Kidney said there was a reflector on the cart, near the handle, but that the reflector would be shielded from view by Mr. Martin as he pushed the cart along the street. The reflector was broken in the crash.
After the accident Mr. Martin was carried into the nearby Herbison restaurant, where he died about 15 minutes later. Dr. E. E. Eddy of Redwood, was called to the scene to attend him, told state police that death was caused by traumatic shock.
Mr. Martin’s injuries consisted of fractures of the left knee, right cheek-cone, left wrist, humerus of the left arm and three ribs, cuts and bruises about the face and right let and possible punctured lung and internal injuries.
District Attorney Carl J. Hynes, who was called to the scene by Dr. Eddy, appointed the doctor coroner’s physician in the case.
Riding in the truck with Misercola was James V. Pacella, 21, of 171 Haney street. He told the police that he was asleep and did not see the accident.
The truck, containing fruits and vegetables, was proceeding from Ogdensburg to Watertown.
During their investigation, the two state troopers charged Misercola with violating section 167 of the labor law, alleging that he was operating the truck beyond the number of hours limited by law. Trooper Kidney said the law permits operation of a truck for ten out of 14 hours, whereas, he said, Misercola had been working with the truck for eleven and a half hours. The trooper also charged that a time card the truck driver carried with him was changed to make it appear that Misercola had had some rest during the eleven and a half hours.
Assistant District Attorney Fuller questioned Mr. Misercola, Mr. Pacella and Trooper Robson this morning and expected to question others, including two boys who were eye-witnesses, this afternoon before closing the inquest.
Thomas J. Martin was born in Rohemway, Can., Jan. 26, 1858, a son of Phillip and Minerva Davenport Martin. His mother died when he was only three months old and he was brought to this country to reside with his maternal grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. T. W. Davenport of Hermon. As a young man he went to New York, where he lived for five years.
Mr. Martin moved to Redwood in 1879. On Aug. 16, 1881, he married Miss Julia Senecal, daughter of Stephen and Esther Senecal, Redwood.
For 56 years Mr. Martin served as freight and express drayman at Redwood, delivering freight to village merchants. In addition he served as mail carrier for more than 13 years, carrying the mail from the railroad station to the postoffice.
He had been a member of Alexandria Lodge, No. 297, F. & A. M., for 41 years.
Surviving Mr. Martin, besides his widow, are two sons, Postmaster Louis S. Martin of Redwood and George Martin of Ogdensburg, and a brother, Walter Martin of Iowa.
BOND -- At the House of the Good Samaritan, Nov. 30, 1938, to Mr. and Mrs. Richard W. Bond of Norwich, a daughter, Cynthia Ann, weight eight pounds.
BOYLE -- In Mercy hospital, Dec. 4, 1938, to Mr. and Mrs. Harold C. Boyle, 639 Cooper street, a son.
LAWLER -- In Mercy hospital, Dec. 5, 1938, to Mr. and Mrs. Jack Lawler, 143 High street, a son.NINDL -- In Mercy hospital, Dec. 3, 1938, to Mr. and Mrs. Charles Nindl, Clayton, a daughter.
NAVY DAY - 1938
14 FROM NORTH JOIN NAVY IN YEAR
RECRUITED IN CITY SINCE LAST NAVY DAY
FOUR IN EUROPEAN WATERS
Two Watertown Men on U. S. S.
Nashville and Two Others on
U. S. S. Savannah Being Re-
tained for Indefinite Time Aft-
Today is Navy day and during the past year 14 young men from Watertown and surrounding communities have enlisted for service in that branch of the nation’s defense, the local recruiting officer, Bernard F. Stevenson, signalman, first class, reported.
All of the 14 have enlisted since Navy day, 1937, Mr. Stevenson said. Of that number half of them resided in Watertown at the time of their enlistment.
Several of the men are now studying at schools provided by the navy while others are aboard ships at various points. Four of them are stationed aboard ships in European waters.
Men from Watertown and vicinity who have enlisted in the navy since Navy day, Oct. 27, 1937, and their location at the present time are:
Claude D. Schantz, Carthage, and Gazel Sabo, Lowville, are attached to the U. S. S. Quincy which is now stationed at Long Beach, Calif.
Carl J. Cline, 24 Parker avenue, Massena, and Harry R. Gwynn, Colton, are aboard the U. S. S. Savannah, and Harry Duke, jr., 2 Boundary street, city, and Roger M. Evans, 209 North Massey street, city, are attached to the U. S. S. Nashville. Both ships were in European waters during their shakedown cruises when war appeared imminent recently. They are now being retained in that area for an indefinite length of time.
Jerry Olski, 206 Seymour street, city, is now aboard the U. S. S. Moffett at San Diego, Calif.
Leo J. McManaman, R. D. 1, Watertown, is attached to the U. S. S. Phoenix, a ship of the newly formed Atlantic squadron.
Harry M. Walker, 11 State Place, city, recently completed a course of instruction at the Navy Hospital school at San Diego, Calif., and is now en route to the Naval Hospital at Portsmouth, Va., where he will continue his studies. He was graduated from his class with the highest honors. His final mark was 96 per cent.
Schuyler J. Colwell, 137 North Meadow street, city, is now taking a course at the Naval Electrical and Ordnance school, San Diego, Calif.
Harry C. Chilton, formerly of this city, Donald J. Felder (underlined in pencil), Plessis, Dan N. Musselman, 1029 Bronson street, city, and Robert C. Biche, Black River, all recently enlisted, are completing a three months’ training period at the Naval Training station at Newport, R. I., at the present time.
PORTLEYDEN --Anthony Howley, 75, mail clerk engaged in transferring mail from the depot to the postoffice, was killed here about 7 p.m. Saturday when struck by an automobile.
He was a section foreman many years for the New York Central railroad, retiring several years ago. Since then he had been employed in the mail clerk capacity.
This is the second death of that type in Northern New York this week. Thomas James Martin, 79, father of Postmaster Louis S. Martin, Redwood, was injured fatally at 6:20 p.m. Wednesday when struck by a fruit truck while he was carrying the mail room (sic) the railroad depot to the Redwood postoffice.
THOMAS BURROWS STOEL
VERDICT OF SUICIDE IS GIVEN
Educator Had Been Worried Over
Future of Centralization of
Schools--He Also Had Been De-
pressed over Death of His Son
Three Years Ago.
Clayton, Nov. 19. (1938) -- Private funeral services for Thomas Burrows Stoel, 61, district superintendent of schools for the third supervisory district of Jefferson county for 26 years, who ended his life Friday afternoon about 1:30 in a barn near his home, will be held Sunday afternoon at 2 from his residence, 822 James street. Rev. Royal B. Fishbeck, pastor of the Clayton Methodist Episcopal church, will officiate. Burial will be made in St. Lawrence cemetery.
Mr. Stoel died Friday afternoon shortly after 1:30 in the Cummings-Kittle ambulance while en route to a Watertown hospital. His death occurred near the Depauville hill. District Attorney Carl J. Hynes announced today a verdict of suicide and said that Mr. Stoel took his life by shooting himself in the right ear with a .32 calibre revolver. The bullet lodged in his head.
According to an investigation made by Undersheriff L. Raymond Johndrow, Deputy Sheriff Conald W. Labeau and Byron McDermott, Mr. Stoel had been worried during the past few days over the future of centralization of schools in the town of Cape Vincent and Clayton, a plan which he had long advocated and for which he had diligently worked.
Members of the sheriff’s office learned from relatives and close friends of Mr. Stoel that he was greatly depressed when it was reported the P. W. A. funds were near exhaustion and therefore the construction of the new school at Clayton was in doubt. Funds for this project had been previously approved although the Cape Vincent P. W. A. school grant had not yet been given such approval.
Mr. Stoel’s death occurred three years to the day after the drowning of his son, Horace Truman Stoel, 17, in the St. Lawrence river near Morristown when a canoe in which he was riding overturned. Vernon Lawrence, 20, son of Mr. and Mrs. R. B. Lawrence of Canton, his companion, also lost his life. Both were students then at Clarkson college at Potsdam. Young Stoel’s body was recovered June 10, 1936. The drowning of his son on Nov. 18, 1935, was believed to be a contributory cause to Mr. Stoel’s depressed appearance during the last few days.
Undersheriff Johndrow learned in his investigation that Mr. Stoel was in low spirits all Friday morning at his home. Following dinner Mr. Stoel went to the garage near his home. George McCarn, a neighbor, was attracted to the barn shortly thereafter when he heard a shot. He found Mr. Stoel lying on a carpet on the garage floor, the revolver on the floor at his side. Mr. McCarn immediately summoned Mrs. Stoel and Dr. John T. Fowkes, jr.
Mr. Stoel was still alive when Dr. Fowkes arrived and the Clayton physician ordered his removal to a Watertown hospital in an ambulance.
Mr. Stoel was born on the River road in the town of Cape Vincent, near Millen’s Bay, on July 13, 1877, a son of the late Horace T. and Anna Irvine Stoel.
Mr. Stoel was descended from early settlers of Jefferson county. His ancestry is traced back to Samuel Stoel, who settled in Hingham, Mass., in 1647 and who is believed to have come from England.
The first of the family to settle in Jefferson county was Ozni Stoel, great-grandfather of Thomas Stoel. A native of Vermont, Ozni Stoel was among the earliest to come into this county from that state. He settled here about 1811 and it was for him that Stoel’s Corners, now known as Stowell’s Corners, in the town of Hounsfield, was named. He was a soldier in the War of 1812 and participated in the Battle of Sackets Harbor.
Ozni Stoel’s eldest son, William, was Thomas Stoel’s grandfather. With his father, William, who was a native of Vermont, kept a roadside inn at Stowell’s Corners for many years and later moved to the town of Cape Vincent, where he purchased a farm.
Horace T. Stoel, the son of William Stoel and father of Thomas Stoel, was born in 1829 at Stowell’s Corners. He became a prominent farmer in the town of Cape Vincent. In 1859 he married Anna Irvine, native of Riverview, N. Y., at Depauville.
Thomas Stoel attended the country schools in the vicinity of Millen’s Bay and later took several teacher’s examinations. At the age of 17 Mr. Stoel entered his teaching career, being assigned to the Warren Settlement country school in the town of Cape Vincent. He remained there for about seven years before returning to school, entering Potsdam State Normal Feb. 12, 1902.
Mr. Stoel remained at the Normal school for a short period before he transferred to the Hungerford Collegiate Institute at Adams. After completing a teacher’s course there he returned to teaching in country schools in this vicinity until 1903 when he was named principal of the Sackets Harbor High school.
He served as principal there until 1908 when he temporarily left the teaching profession to become a salesman for the Black River Paper company. He remained with that company until 1910 when he became traveling representative for the Mercersburg academy of Mercersburg, Pa. That year he was named alumni secretary of the academy and also was given charge of the chemistry laboratory work at the school.
In 1911, Mr. Stoel accepted the principalship of the Antwerp High school. He remained in that capacity until the next year when he began his duties as district superintendent of the third supervisory district of Jefferson county which is comprised of schools in the towns of Cape Vincent, Clayton and Orleans.
Mr. Stoel had resided in Clayton since 1912 with the exception of three years spent in Depauville.
On Aug. 17, 1910, he married Miss Mabel Lepper, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Olin Lepper of Sackets Harbor, in a ceremony performed at the home of the bride’s parents. The wedding was solemnized by Rev. N. A. Darling, then of Plessis, uncle of Mrs. Stoel, and Rev. W. C. Cramer, pastor of the Sackets Harbor Methodist Episcopal church.
At the time his wife was a teacher at Cutchogne, L. I., and Mr. Stoel was at the Mercersburg academy. During the years that Mr. Stoel taught school he spent his summers as clerk at the Hotel Lotus at St. Lawrence Park, between Clayton and Alexandria Bay.
Mr. Stoel attained a statewide reputation for his work in local history and in the development of local history teaching methods. Several times his work was noted in New York State HIstory, the organ of the New York State Historical association. Mr. Stoel’s method was to encourage originality in his pupils. He was also instrumental in having a number of historical markers placed in the vicinity of Clayton.
Mr. Stoel was a member of the New York State History society, the District School Superintendent’s association and the Stuckley Westcott Genealogical association.
Surviving besides his wife are four children, Miss Elizabeth Stoel, 26, of Syracuse; Thomas B. Stoel, 25, member of a law firm in Portland, Ore.; Miss Virginia Stoel, 22, a teacher in Cobleskill, and Robert Stoel, 18, freshman at the University of Michigan; two brothers, Charles Stoel of the town of Clayton; Horace Stoel of Seattle, Wash.; two sisters, Mrs. Eva Block, of Clayton and Mrs. Addie Reynolds of Los Angeles, Calif.
Members of the family have requested that flowers be omitted.
Typist’s Note: The succeeding page of the scrapbook displayed a good-sized photo of Thomas B. Stoel.
ALICE ADELAIDE BERTRAM
WOMAN, AGED 83, REDWOOD, DIES
Redwood, Sept. 23. (1938) -- Mrs. Alice Adelaide Bertram, 83, widow of Edward Bertram, died at 7 this moring at her home in this village after an illness of six months with infirmities. Her daughter, Miss Sarah Bertram, and her brother, Frank Pierce, resided with her.
The woman was born in the town of Theresa on Nov. 13, 1854, a daughter of Lambert and Angeline Sayles Pierce. She was married to Edward Bertram on Dec. 13, 1876, and following the ceremony they went to the town of Theresa where they resided for eight years. Then 54 years ago they purchased the homestead at Goose Bay. They came to Redwood to reside 20 years ago, purchasing the Lang home where they resided until death. Mr. Bertram died Jan. 1, 1924.
Mrs. Bertram was a member of the Kirkland grange, No. 684; Redwood Methodist Episcopal church and the Pastor’s society of the church.
The survivors are her one daughter, Miss Sarah Bertram; two sons, Edward and Edson Bertram, twins, and one brother, Frank Pierce, all of Redwood.
Funeral services will be held from the home Sunday at 2:30 p.m., Rev. Louis Bruce, pastor of the Redwood Methodist Episcopal church, officiating, and burial will be in the Redwood cemetery.
CLARA FAILING GATES
WIFE OF REDWOOD STOREKEEPER
Native of Redwood, Mrs. Gates
Spent Entire Life There with
Exception of a Few Years Dur-
ing Early Married LIfe--Funer-
al Service Sunday.
Redwood, Sept. 2. (1938) -- Mrs. Clara Mary Failing Gates, 57, wife of Dwight J. Gates, died at 7 this morning at her home after an illness of two weeks with angina pectoris. Her husband, proprietor of the local general store, and her daughter-in-law, Mrs. Gladys Gates, were with Mrs. Gates at the time of her death.
Mrs. Gates was born in Redwood, Sept. 6, 1880, daughter of Walstein and Martha Thompson Failing. She was married at her parents’ home here to Mr. Gates Nov. 21, 1900, by Rev. Mr. Whinney, then rector of St. Peter’s Episcopal church here.
Mr. and Mrs. Gates, after their marriage, lived a few years at Carthage and Benson Mines, returning to Redwood 30 years ago and operating a general store here since that time.
Mrs. Gates was a former member of the local Rebekah lodge and was noble grand in 1926. She also was a member of St. Peter’s church and its altar guild and church service league.
Surviving besides her husband, are one son, Harry Gates; three grandchildren, Betty, Eleanor and Roger Gates, and one brother, Herbert Failing of Natural Bridge.
The funeral will be held from the home at 2 p.m. (E.S.T.) Sunday with Rev. Earl Worden, rector of St. Peter’s church, officiating. Interment will be in the Redwood cemetery.
WILLIAM F. BROWN
W. F. BROWN OF REDWOOD DEAD
NATIVE AND LIFELONG RESIDENT OF VILLAGE
MILK AND COAL DEALER, 67
Stricken Suddenly While Seated
on Porch of His Home. Mr.
Brown Succumbs to Coronary
Thrombosis--He Had Conduct-
ed Business in Redwood Since
Redwood, Oct. 24 (1938) -- William Francis Brown, 67, local milk and coal dealer, died suddenly at 7 last evening while sitting in a chair on the porch of his home here. Death was caused by coronary thrombosis. Mr. Brown had been in failing health for about a year.
He was born in Redwood, Sept. 7, 1871, a son of John and Sarah Cline Brown. He had lived in Redwood all his life. On Dec. 30, 1896, he married Miss Alice Suits at Plessis in a ceremony performed by Rev. E. B. Brown.
Mr. Brown entered the employ of the R. W. & O. railroad in 1890 and served for 13 years as a brakeman. In 1903 he entered the milk and coal business. He was a former member of the Independent Order of Foresters.
Surviving are a daughter, Mrs. Hazel Keene; three grandchildren, Miss Audrey Keene, William Keene and Mrs. Yvonne Keene Kimball; and one great-granddaughter, Patricia Kimball, all of Redwood. A son, Kermit, died Aug. 19, 1922.
Funeral services will be held Wednesday afternoon at 1:30 from the home and at 2 from the Methodist Episcopal church. Rev. Ernest Bragg of Oriskany Falls, former pastor of the Redwood church, and Rev. Louis Bruce, present pastor, will officiate. Burial will be in Redwood cemetery.
SCHNEIDER - KABEL
Redwood, Nov. 1. (1938) Miss Pauline Mary Schneider, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Schneider of Orleans, became the bride of Robert Edward Kabel of Redwood at 10 Saturday morning at Trinity chapel. Rev. W. C. Middleton officiated.
The bride, who was attired in rust with brown accessories and wore a corsage of talisman roses and baby’s breath, was attended by Miss Rose W. Fenstermaker of Watertown.
Miss Fensternmaker wore a blue dress with dubonnet accessories and a corsage of roses and baby’s breath. Russell J. Crawford of Redwood was best man.
Immediately after the ceremony the couple left for a motor trip in Canada and upon their return they will reside in the Felder apartment on Main street.
Mrs. Kabel is a graduate of Alexandria Bay High school and trained in the House of the Good Samaritan, Watertown.
Mr. Kabel is the son of Mrs. Edward Kabel and the late Mr. Kabel. He attended local schools and is now employed in the Kabel Brothers’ garage.
EDWARD A. ZELLAR
Active Member of Methodist
Church Had Taught in Sunday
School for 57 Years--Had Al-
ways Resided in the Zellar
Theresa, Nov. 30 (1938). -- Edward A. Zellar, 74, lifelong resident of West Theresa, a farmer, died at his home at 6 p.m. Tuesday after an illness of nine weeks. Death was the result of a general breakdown. He had been active during the summer and had taken several auto trips when he contracted a heavy cold.
Mr. Zellar was born on the Zellar homestead at West Theresa, where he always resided, on April 14, 1864, the son of Absalom and Mary Parker Zellar. He attended the schools in his own district and later in Theresa village and still later attended Oswego normal.
Leaving Oswego, he decided to remain on the farm and later purchased the place. The Zellar farm has been in the same family since pioneer days. The Zellars came from the Mohawk valley.
He early became a member of the Methodist church, and taught in the Sunday school for a period of 57 years, until his health began to fail.
His uncle, Edward Zellar of Malta, Ill., was a close friend of the late Montgomery Ward, and when the latter started his mail order business, Edward Zellar of Illinois predicted its success. Edward Zellar of Theresa was said to be the first to send in an order to the firm from the east.
Forty-nine years ago last February he married Miss Mary Hildt of this village. They had five children. One, Mildred, died in her ‘teens.
Besides his wife, he is survived by four children, Mrs. Floyd (Helen) Schell of the Watertown road, Paul of Red Hook, Dewey of Tivoli, and Hilda, who resides at home and teaches at West Theresa. A brother, William, of Ithaca, is now seriously ill at the Theresa hospital.
Funeral services will be held from the Methodist church Friday afternoon at 2. Rev. U. B. Grant, pastor, will officiate. Burial will be in the family plot in Oakwood cemetery.
ZIMMER - SCHNEIDER
Theresa, Nov. 4. (1938) -- Miss Eleanor Zimmer, Omar, and Oscar Schneider, Theresa, were married Thursday, Oct. 20, at Lafargeville by Rev. William Aubrey, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church.
They were attended by Miss Doris Zimmer, sister of the bride, and Robert Kabel of Redwood.
Mrs. Schneider is the youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wells Zimmer, Omar. She is a graduate of Alexandria Bay High school, class of 1937. Mr. Schneider is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Adelbert Schneider of Theresa and attended Theresa school.
After a wedding tip through the Adirondack mountains they will reside on a farm near Plessis.
FIRE AT THERESA
(portion of headline missing)
Loss Between $10,000 and
$12,000 in Baker Owned
By Minor Kinston--Two
Adjoining Buildings Are
Theresa, Nov. 7. (1938) -- Fire caused between $10,000 and $12,000 damage to the Theresa baker early yesterday morning and resulted in smoke and water damage to two adjoining buildings. Minor Kingston, owner of the baker, and his family escaped by the rear stairs from apartments over the bakery, when fire blocked the front stairway.
The fire loss in the Kingston building included bakery equipment. Insurance of $4,700 covered the building and part of the equipment loss. Most of the damage was on the first floor, although the second story was damaged by smoke and water.
The Holtz restaurant adjoining the baker was damaged considerably by smoke and water, and the Community store, on the opposite side of the bakery, was slightly damaged by smoke. The restaurant building was insured. Charles Lehr and family, who occupied apartments above the Community store, were driven out by smoke.
The Kingston’s daughter, Verna, aroused her family after she was awakened about 5 a.m. by the smoke and noise of the fire. The two local fire departments were summoned and had the flames under control in an hour. Mr. Kingston, who closed the baker at midnight Saturday, could not explain the origin of the fire.
CLAYTON P. HART
Redwood, Dec. 27. (1938). --Funeral services were held this morning for Clayton Pearl Hart, 53, who died Saturday morning at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Hylan Hart, following an illness of three years.
Mr. Hart underwent a major operation at the Hepburn hospital, Ogdensburg, in November, 1936, and was a patient there six months. Last year he was a patient at Baker hospital, Muscatine, Ia., for five months.
He was born March 1, 1885, at Plessis, only son of Hyland and Minnie Spaulsbury Hart.
He was married about 30 years ago to Miss Florence Andrews of Pulaski. The couple later were divorced. Four years later Mr. Hart married Miss Georgia Westcott of Theresa. He spent practically his entire life here. He was manager of the local milk station 17 years under Benjamin Marks. He also conducted a boat livery and rooming house at Butterfield lake.
Mr. Hart was a member of St. Francis Xavier church.
He is survived by his wife; one daughter, Miss Marion Hart of Toledo, O.; his parents, and one sister, Miss Jennie G. Hart of Redwood. A daughter by the first marriage, Mrs. Genevieve Hart Brown of Pulaski, was killed in an automobile accident about a year ago.
Funeral services were held at 9 this morning from St. Francis Xavier church, Rev. W. J. Charbonneau officiating. Interment was in the family plot in the Redwood cemetery.
MARY BEARUP SANTWAY
WIDOW OF DR. F. L. SANTWAY IS DEAD
HER FATHER WAS DAVID BEARUP, RAIL PROMOTER
THERESA RESIDENT WAS 81
She Had Been in Poor Health For
Several Months--Occupant of
One of the Finest Houses in the
Village. She Shunned Social
Affairs--Funeral will be Tuesday.
Theresa, Dec. 12. (1938). -- Mrs. Mary A. Bearup Santway, 81, widow of Dr. F. L. Santway of this village died at her home in Commercial street at 2 Sunday morning after an illness of three months. Before her last illness she had been in poor health for a number of months, but was about until late summer.
She was born in the Bearup homestead, Main street, this village, May 10, 1857. Her parents were David and Mary A. Salisbury Bearup. Her father was one of the leading lawyers of the county, a prominent business man of this place. He was the driving force in the construction of the railroad from Philadelphia north into Morristown and served as its president during its early years. He was also the owner of steamboats upon the Indian river.
After completing her education Mrs. Santway remained at home for a few years until she married Dr. Santway Feb. 17, 1881. The Bearup home still stands and is occupied by sisters of Mrs. Santway. When the great fire swept the business section of Theresa in 1890 the Santway home was destroyed and Mr. Santway then erected one of the finest houses in the place, much of it being of granite. Dr. Santway died eight years ago and since that time Mrs. Santway had resided in the home. She never cared for social affairs and seldom went about, except on auto trips.
The funeral services will be held Tuesday at 2 from her home with Rev. Sheldon Bishop of the Presbyterian church officiating. Burial will be made in the family plot in Oakwaood cemetery.
She is survived by two half-sisters, Misses Helen and Anna Bearup of this village.
Dr. Santway before his death gave the village the park that contains several acres and borders the Indian river just south of the village on the Watertown road.
IDA JANE POWERS
GIRL, 19, ILL, ENDS HER LIFE
UNABLE TO CONTINUE STUDIES AT ST. LAWRENCE
IDA JANE POWERS, ALEX. BAY
Daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Zay
Powers Found By Her Mother
in Storeroom of Home With
Bullet From .32 Caliber Revol-
ver in Her Heart.
Alexandria Bay, Dec. 12. (1938) -- Miss Ida Jane Powers, 19, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Zay Powers, Crossmon street, this village, ended her life at the family home Saturday by shooting herself through the heart with a .32 calibre revolver.
The young woman, a former student at St. Lawrence university, Canton, had been in ill health and her inability to continue her studies at the university is said to be responsible for her act.
The lifeless body of the girl was discovered by her mother as she was cleaning upstairs in the house about 2 p.m. Dr. Harold L. Gokey, who was later named coroner’s physician, was summoned and said that the death had occurred three or four hours earlier.
District Attorney Carl J. Hynes held an inquest at the home late Saturday afternoon and this morning issued a formal verdict of suicide. No motive was given.
At the time of the shooting neither of the girl’s parents was at home. The girl had been left alone to prepare the noon lunch. Mr. Powers left the house about 7:30 Saturday morning for the Edson Houghton boat shop where he had been overhauling the engine to his boat. He returned about 9:30 and drove his wife to the home of her father, Captain Edward Rogers. Mrs. Powers spent the morning with her father.
Mr. and Mrs. Powers returned to their home for lunch at noon and found that their daughter was not there. Mr. Powers then called Miss Margaret Wiltse, a close friend of the girl, but was unable to learn her whereabouts. Mr. Wiltse, however, said he thought he had seen her in the business section of Alexandria Bay about an hour previous.
Believing that their daughter would return in a short time, Mr. and Mrs. Powers had lunch and the father returned to work about 1 p.m. Mrs. Powers then started housecleaning. While cleaning upstairs about an hour later, shortly after 2 p.m., Mrs. Powers opened the door to a small closet off one of the bedroom(s) and discovered the lifeless form of her daughter.
After unsuccessfully attempting to carry her daughter to the main floor of the house, Mrs. Powers ran for help. Mr. and Mrs. Leo Conant, neighbors, came to her assistance and helped carry Miss Powers downstairs.
At the inquest, District Attorney Hynes questioned the girl’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Conant, Dr. Gokey and Sheriff Brayton E. Peck and Deputy Sheriff Byron McDermontt, who made the investigation.
During the examination, it was learned that the girl and her parents went to the home of her maternal aunt, Mrs. Frank Hess, at Massena for a weekend visit the second week in October. Mr. Hess owned a .32 calibre revolver which he kept under his pillow at night because of the cash he usually kept on hand in connection with his store business. Shortly after the family returned home from Massena, Mr. Hess missed his revolver and he wrote to Mr. Powers asking him if any of his family knew of the gun. Mr. Powers then questioned his daughter but she denied having the weapon in her possession. The gun used in the suicide has been identified by Mr. Hess as his. Mr. and Mrs. Powers said they had never had a revolver in the house.
After a successful scholastic career in the local high school and Cazenovia Seminary from which she was graduated in 1937, Miss Powers entered St. Lawrence university as a member of the freshman class in the fall of 1937.
She was two weeks late in entering the university and after having been at Canton a week she became ill and was forced to miss classes for sometime. Discouraged over the poor marks she was getting, she decided to go south with her parents in November, 1937.
After arriving at Miami, Fla., where her father was employed as captain of Edward J. Noble’s private yacht, the “Monatoana,” (sic) Miss Powers took part-time work in Notre Dame Seminary, a junior college at Miami.
In April, Miss Powers returned to this village with her parents and had been here continuously since. During the summer she investigated a number of colleges and universities with a view of entering in the fall. When September came, however, she was still undecided what she wanted to do and she remained at her home with her parents during the fall months.
Mr. and Mrs. Powers said they had watched their daughter carefully because of her previous ill health. She had apparently regained her health, though, and her close friend and companion, Miss Margaret Wiltse, was unable to detect any change in her usual good spirits. On Friday night, Miss Powers had served as one of the waitresses at the dinner at the First Methodist Episcopal church here. The supper was served as a part of the celebration in connection with the end of indebtedness by the church.
Miss Powers was born in this village, Oct. 22, 1919, a daughter of Zay and Beulah Rogers Powers. She had always resided here with the exception of the time she spent at Cazenovia Seminary and St. Lawrence university.
Besides her parents, Miss Powers is survived by one sister, Miss Audrey Powers, 23, 101 Ostrum avenue, Syracuse, a secretary for the L. C. Smith-Corona Typewriter company. The sister is a graduate of St. Lawrence university.
Funeral services were held from the family home at 2:30 this afternoon with Rev. Earl D. Compton, pastor of the Alexandria Bay Reformed church, officiating. Burial was made in Highland Park cemetery.
Bearers for the funeral were Roy and Roger Hess, Massena, cousins, and Graham Thompson, Jack Burtch, Cornelius Allen and Edward Roy, all of Alexandria Bay and former high school classmates of Miss Powers.
MUCH MORE TO FOLLOW
Return to Jefferson County NYGenWeb page
Return to Jefferson County Tidbits
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact: Nancy Dixon
http://jefferson.nygenweb.net/hunter6.htm updated March 12, 2009
Copyright © 1997 — 2017 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project