We are indebted to Leon Hunter for allowing us to copy his mother's scrapbook, and particularly, once again, to Shirley Farone for retyping all this. Shirley does most of the formatting, also, leaving us with an easy upload. Thanks, Shirley and Leon! The original scrapbook is now in the Northern New York Agricultural Museum, of which Leon is a trustee. Marguerite Raineri, the director, has made the scrapbooks available to us.

Part: 1, Part: 2, Part: 3, Part: 4, Part: 5, Part: 6, Part: 7, Part: 8




Clayton, Nov. 26. (1938) -- Miss Rita Eleanore Hutchinson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Claude Hutchinson of Clayton, and Joseph Matthew Cerwins, son of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Cerwins, sr., of Schenectady, were married at the Methodist Episcopal parsonage here Thanksgiving morning at 10. Rev. Royal Fishbeck performed the ceremony. The couple was attended by Mr. and Mrs. Stuart Reed, brother-in-law and sister of the bride. Mr. and Mrs. Cerwins will reside in Schenectady.




Theresa, Nov. 26. (1938) -- Funeral services were held today for Joseph Clyde, 76, who died suddenly at the home of Rowland Shaw, near Pamelia Four Corners, late Thursday. He was found dead by Mr. Shaw shortly after 8 p.m. when he went to call him to make ready for bed. Mr. Clyde had been resting on the couch and it was thought that he was sleeping. He had been about during the day and seemed in his usual health. Death was caused by a heart ailment.

Mr. Clyde was born in the town of Alexandria June 26, 1862, son of Charles and Hulda Russel Clyde. His early life was spent in that township, where he was employed on farms. He was twice married. His first wife, the former Miss Frances Hagen, whom he married in 1882, died 30 years ago. Shortly afterward he married again and lived at Plessis. His second wife, Mary Clyde, died nearly 18 years ago.

He is survived by six children, one by the first marriage, Mrs. George Seymour of this village, and by the second marriage, Belva Clyde of Newark, Fannie of Watertown, Mamie of Clayton and twins, James and Jessie, of Redwood. There are two sisters, Mrs. Minnie Seymour of Redwood, and Mrs. Addie Calhoun of Watertown, and a brother, James Clyde, of Harrisville.

Funeral services were held this afternoon at 2 from the C. R. Giltz funeral home. Burial was in the family plot in Plessis.



CARATHAGE. --Miss Fern Hardy, 18, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George A. Hardy, Philadelphia, president of the Jefferson county 4-H club council, presided at the Saturday afternoon program at Carthage high school, held in connection with the annual 4-H club achievement day. A program of music, songs and dances were given.

Miss Hardy has been in 4-H club work for seven years and has been leader of the Philadelphia club three years. She was the girl delegate last December from Jefferson county to the National 4-H congress at Chicago. This fall she received honorable mention in the style demonstration contest of 4-H clubs at the state fair in Syracuse and served a week there at the Wayside Market, conducted by the home bureau. She was valedictorian of the June, 1938, graduation class of Philadelphia high school.




Resident of County Boarding Home Since February,
Child Was Son of Former Carthage Woman
--Another Boy, 6, Was With Him at Time of Accident

Alexandria Bay, Nov. 28. (1938) -- Ernest Hall, 3, drowned yesterday forenoon about 11:45 near his home four miles from here on the Goose Bay road when he fell into Cranberry creek while playing on the ice beneath a bridge. Shock was a contributory cause of death, according to Dr. H. L. Gokey, who said there was little water in the boy’s lungs.

The child lived at the home of Mrs. Mildred Kring as a charge of the county, having been there since last Feb. 22. Whereabouts of his mother, formerly of Carthage, where the child was born Feb. 12, 1935, is not known.

The Hall boy was playing in the Kring yard shortly before the accident with Donald Mellor, 6. George Hodge, brother of Mrs. Kring, said the children were in the yard when he went to the house from the barn about 11. Ten minutes later they were not in sight, he said. They had gone to the bridge about 200 yards from the house, and playing with a box on the ice. The Hall child apparently ran beneath the bridge, where there was little light, and fell into open water.

The Mellor boy met Mrs. Kring as she returned from church and told her of the accident. About the same time Thomas B. Traverse of 917 Superior street and Lawrence R. Clickner, 933 Franklin street, Watertown, arrived at the scene on their way toward Watertown from here. The two men pulled the boy’s body from the water. While the boy was being taken to the office of Dr. Gokey, Traverse, a Utilities employe and trained in first aid, applied resuscitation measures.

Dr. Gokey worked for two hours in an attempt to revive the child. It is believed the boy was dead when he was taken from the water, which was several feel deep at that point.

The boy’s body was removed to the Guilfoyle undertaking establishment in Watertown, where funeral services will be held Wednesday afternoon. Burial will be made in Fairview cemetery, Carthage.



(portion of the headline missing)
Mrs. Eliza Fairchild Cadwell Kelsey of Perch Lake Was
Born at Rossie When Mining Industry Was Starting There.

Theresa, Nov. 17. (1938) -- Mrs. Eliza Fairchild Caldwell Kelsey of the Perch Lake section will celebrate her 98th birthday Friday with her children. Mrs. Kelsey resides at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Howard VanAllen.

Born Nov. 18, 1840, at Rossie, she spent her early days in that community. Her parents were Alfred and Julia Thompson Fairchild. Her father was one of the English pioneers of the section. At the time of her birth the supply of iron ore there was said to be inexhaustible and preparations were under way for the erection of the large foundry and machine which later turned out tons of iron products. The lead mines were in full swing as the Rossie Lead Mining company and the Rossie Galena company had been incorporated but three years.

In 1861, Mrs. Kelsey was married to Alfred Cadwell, a molder, and moved to Hartford, Conn.

Mrs. Kelsey recalls the day the news came that Lincoln had been shot and how profoundly stirred the people were. Mr. Cadwell died about 1876. His widow later was married to Harrison Kelsey, who died 16 years ago. She was ten years older than Mr. Kelsey. She and her husband resided for a time in what is known as the Bailey settlement in Alexandria.

Recently Mrs. Kelsey has suffered from defective hearing and her eyesight has become clouded.

She has eight children, three by her first marriage and five by her second, and all are living. They are Mrs. Abi Wright and Austin Cadwell, Chicago, and Mrs. Nellie Gallagher, near Watertown, and by the second marriage Mrs. Daisy Vivian Cummings, Mrs. Viola Bowles of Alexandria Bay, Herbert of Copenhagen, Byron of Fishers Landing and Mrs. Jessie May VanAllen of Perch Lake.




Theresa, Dec. 19. (1938) -- George Rogers, 81, farmer and lifelong resident of North Theresa, died Sunday morning at 7:15 in the Mercy hospital at Watertown, where he had been a patient since Oct. 25. He had been in ill health for about two years. Death was caused by infirmities of old age.

He was born on the Rogers homestead at North Theresa, June 5, 1857, a son of Warren and Adeline Higgins Rogers. He was engaged in farming all of his life and always had lived on the Rogers homestead.

Surviving are his wife, Bertha Rogers; three daughters, Mrs. Ethel Slater of Alexandria Bay; Mrs. Irene Hunter and Mrs. Frances Niers of Hammond; three sons, Alton, Earl and Edwin Rogers of Redwood; two sisters, Mrs. Wallace Bates of Plessis and Mrs. Lottie Simpson of Alexandria Bay.

Funeral services will be held Wednesday afternoon at 2 from the Giltz Funeral home at Theresa. Rev. U. B. Grant, pastor of the Theresa Methodist Episcopal church, will officiate. Burial will be made in the Redwood cemetery.



(portion of headline missing) (photo included)
Philadelphia Girl Will Attend National 4-H Club Congress in Chicago

Joyce B. Reynolds, 17, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. L. R. Reynolds of Philadelphia, has been selected as the Jefferson County 4-H club delegate to the National 4-H club congress in Chicago. Miss Reynolds has also been named as state alternate following a girls’ record contest.

The selection as county delegate was made on the basis of Miss Reynolds’s 4-H club work, and also her community, school and church work. She has been a member of the 4-H club since 1932 and has conducted 48 homemaking units which includes work on foods, clothing and home furnishings.

Miss Reynolds has exhibited at the county fair and has won many prizes. For the past four years she has exhibited home making work at the Syracuse State fair. She has attended the New York state club congress at Ithaca, for two years and has attended the county 4-H club camp for three years.

Miss Reynolds is a member of the county 4-H club council. In 1938 she won blue ribbons in the county demonstration contest on room improvements and the district contest on room improvements held at Syracuse. She served as home making work demonstrator at the state club congress and at the Syracuse state fair. She has also won a blue ribbon in the county ensemble revue and a red ribbon in the state district revue at Pulaski.

Miss Reynolds, a senior at Philadelphia High school, has served as president, vice president, secretary, treasurer and song leader of her club, the Vitamin Sisters. She has been a club leader for two years. Miss Reynolds, for the past three years has participated in Rally Day and Achievement Day programs. She has also been active in amateur programs in the county.

Miss Reynolds will leave for Chicago on Nov. 26. Banks in the county will defray her expenses in Chicago as they have done in the past.

Besides going to Chicago as county delegate, Miss Reynolds will serve as a New York state alternate, having won that honor on the basis of her years’ record in 4-H work judged at a state wide (incomplete).




Browns Corners Resident Was Born at Waterloo, Ont.
-- Enjoys Working in His Large Garden Each Summer.

Theresa, Jan. 9. (1939) -- George Hartman, widely known retired farmer residing at Browns Corners, Alexandria, will celebrate his 82nd birthday at his home there on Wednesday. Recalling how his ancestors came to this country, Mr. Hartman said today:

“Times were hard, very hard in Germany and folks could hardly make both ends meet. My people heard of America and better living, for a relative had gone to America and settled near Alexandria Bay and wrote back that work was plentiful at good wages. Very early one morning in the spring of 1853 the folks started, with a few of their goods piled in a high wheel and heavy cart, to make the trip to the boat.

“There were two families in the party, Hironemus Bicklehaupt, father of the late Adam Bicklehaupt of Redwood, and my grandfather’s family of which my own father, Adam Hartman, was the stalwart youth of nearly 20. It was a long trip by sailboat to America and before the ship reached the shores of America my grandfather died and was buried at sea. That was a sad and discouraging event, but there could be no turning back. The party had to make their way to Alexandria and so came by rail to Watertown. They could not speak a word of English and arrived in Watertown late at night among strangers in a strange land, with the youngest brother of my father, a child in arms, very sick. They were directed to the home of a German on the north side and crossing the old Court street bridge in the dark the child gave a gasp and was dead.

“The families got to Redwood in due time by wagon. Later my father married and decided to try farming in Canada. There was where I was born on Jan. 11, 1856. The name of the place was Waterloo, Ontario. When I was three my folks returned to the States and a year after my mother died. I began looking after myself at an early age and have always believed in thrift, work, and looking on the bright side of life. I joined the St. Paul Lutheran church at Redwood when I was 16 and am still a member there. I served as trustee of the church for about 50 years. Forty-eight years ago I joined the grange and am now a member of Kirkland grange, Redwood. When the Farm Bureau started in Jefferson county I became a member and worked for its advancement. I also was active in forming the G. L. F. and was their representative in my section selling seeds for several years.”

Mr. Hartman was twice married, first to Elizabeth Kufer. She died about a half century ago. In 1891 he married Sophia Vogt. For a time Mr. Hartman resided at Rexfords Corners, near Lafargeville, later just north of Plessis and later he purchased a farm at Browns Corners where he now resides. His second wife died in 1930.

There are four children, Lawrence of Watertown, by the first marriage; Mrs. Louise Timmerman, Orleans Four Corners; Mrs. Lotha Snell, Alexandria; and Adam of Theresa. There are four sisters, Mrs. Margaret Hicman, Lowville; Mrs. Elizabeth Hill, residing with her children in different places; Mrs. Kate Snell, Plessis, and Mrs. Anna Vogt, Watertown.

Mr. Hartman is very active, enjoys working in a large garden each summer, attends many grange meetings and generally recites a verse in German when called upon to speak. He delights in driving a car, but this winter in icy weather lets someone else drive for him. Friends have planned a post card shower for him and a family dinner may be held.




Mrs. Alice Adelaide Swift Gordon,
Former Teacher, Lived at Hammond
Before Moving to Present Home Near Redwood 20 Years Ago.

Redwood, Jan. 30. (1939) -- Mrs. Alice Adelaide Swift Goron, 62, wife of Benjamin Gordon, died at 10:30 this morning at her hoome about a mile from here on the Alexandria Bay road after an illness of nearly a year. Death was attributed to a complication of diseases.

Mrs. Gordon, who had lived 20 years at the present home, spent her entire life in this section. She was born at Sterlingville Aug. 16, 1876, daughter of James and Mary Teresa Moore Swift.

She taught in rural schools near here previous to her marriage to Mr. Gordon Aug. 5, 1893. The wedding was performed at Hammond by Rev. E. S. Phelps.

After her marriage Mrs. Gordon lived in the town of Hammond until the family moved to the present home near here. Her husband is a farmer.

Surviving Mrs. Gordon besides her husband are one son, Earl, at home; two daughters, Mrs. Homer (Flossie) Reynolds and Mrs. J. P. (Laura) Herbison, of Redwood; two grandchildren, Lawrence S. Gordon and Rhea Reynolds of Redwood; and two sisters, Mrs. Joseph P. Farmer of Watertown and Mrs. Mary Pattenaude of Ellenburg, Wash.

The funeral will be held from the home at 1 p.m. Wednesday. Burial will be in Fine View cemetery, Hammond.


(photo included)

Herbert A. Scott, son of Mr. and Mrs. Herbert D. Scott, State street road, has accepted a position as an embalmer with William H. Sardo company, funeral directors, in Washington, D. C. Mr. Scott and his wife, formerly Miss Lucelle Shumate of Washington, have left this city and taken residence in the capital.

Mr. Scott was graduated from the Watertown High school with the class of January, 1936. Following his graduation he enrolled in the Simmons Embalming school in Syracuse. Upon completion of his course, he was employed at the C. J. Sweet funeral home in Black River.

Mr. Scott married in June, 1937, at Saranac Lake.



Mrs. Gertrude Heath, 56, of Plessis underwent an operation in the Mercy hospital late Tuesday afternoon in which a chicken bone she had accidentally swallowed earlier in the day at her home was removed from her esophagus, the gullet.

The woman, whose condition was announced as satisfactory, was expected to leave the hospital today.

Mrs. Heath swallowed the flat, triangular-shaped, sharp piece of chicken bone while eating hurriedly, it was said. She began to choke and suffered considerable pain.

She came to Watertown for an X-ray examination and the pictures showed that the bone, which was about three-quarters of an inch wide at its widest point, was lodged below the level of the larynx, the organ of the voice.

Mrs. Heath was then admitted to the hospital at 4:10 p.m. and there a local throat surgeon, with the use of an esophagoscope, performed the delicate operation. The bone was removed without any great difficulty, it was announced.



GETMAN--At Lafargeville, Jan. 26, 1939, to Mr. and Mrs. Stanley H. Getman, Lafargeville, a son, Jay Samuel.




Alexandria Bay, Jan. 23 (1939) -- Edwin D. Simpson, 85, farmer of the town of Alexandria, ended his life by hanging at the family farm home on the Goose Bay road Friday night. Dr. H. L. Gokey was called and acted as coroner’s physician.

Funeral services were held from the family home this afternoon at 2. Rev. Roger Williams, pastor of the local Methodist Episcopal church, officiated. Burial was in Highland Park cemetery.

Mr. Simpson was born in the town of Alexandria Sept. 12, 1854, the son of Moses and Polly Reid Simpson. He had resided in the town of Alexandria all his life, 54 years on the one farm on Goose Bay road.

Fifty-four years ago Mr. Simpson married Alice Van Dresar. Besides his wife, he leaves two brothers, Edgard (sic) Simpson of Redwood and Mose Simpson of Wellesley island and six children, Frank Simpson, Raymond Simpson, Herbert Simpson, Ethel Simpson and Bessie Simpson of this village and Edwin Simpson of Syracuse.



(photo of Miss Beatrice Fehr accompanied the piece)

Miss Fehr, home demonstration agent of Cortland county, will give an address on “Life in London and the English Countryside” Thursday at 12:30 at a luncheon meeting of the membership drive committee of the Jefferson county home bureau. The luncheon will be served at Asbury Methodist church. Miss Fehr recently returned from attending a convention of country women of the world held in London.



Redwood, Jan. 25. (1939) -- Twin sons were born to Mr. and Mrs. Donald White Monday evening at the Theresa Community hospital.

One of the infants died Tuesday about 9 a.m.

Mr. White is manager of the local Community store here. Mrs. White is the former Miss Helen Brown of Alexandria Bay.




Son of Mr. and Mrs. Claude Hutchinson of Town of Clayton,
Mr. Hutchinson Always Lived in Vicinity
-- He Taught Classes Thursday.

Clayton, Dec. 9. (1938) -- Charles Irving Hutchinson, 32, school teacher at Fine View on Wells island, died at 7 this morning at his home there, a victim of coronary embolism. Diabetes, with which Mr. Hutchinson had suffered about ten years, was a contributory cause of death.

Mr. Hutchinson taught classes yesterday, apparently in his customary state of health.

Mr. Hutchinson was born in the town of Clayton Jan. 13, 1906, son of Claude and Laura Garnsey Hutchinson. His parents now live about three miles from Clayton on the Alexandria Bay road.

Mr. Hutchinson taught school in the Deferno district near Clayton after his graduation from the Clayton High school, before continuing his education. He was graduated in 1935 from the state normal school at Potsdam. At the time of his death he was teaching his third year at Fine View, having previously taught one year at Grindstone island school.

About six years ago Mr. Hutchinson married Miss Elsie Matthews of Gananoque, Ont., who survives.

Also surviving Mr. Hutchinson besides his wife and parents are four sisters, Mrs. John (Leota) Lindsay of Syracuse, Mrs. Stewart (Esther) Reed of Clayton, Mrs. Joseph (Rita) Cerwins of Schenectady and Miss Ruth Hutchinson of Clayton; five brothers, Claude Hutchinson of Lafargeville and Norman, James, Roland and Gordon Hutchinson of Clayton; one nephew and one niece.

A prayer service will be held at 1 p.m. Sunday at the home of Mr. Hutchinson’s parents near Clayton. The funeral service will be conducted at 2 p.m. at the Clayton Methodist Episcopal church of which Mr. Hutchinson, was a member. Rev. Wendell Carter of the Fine View church will officiate, assisted by Rev. Royal B. Fishbeck of the Clayton church. Burial will be in the Grindstone island cemetery.



Jay Van Volkenburg, 220 Colorado avenue, who retired as a fireman in June after 22 years of service, will be the guest of honor at a dinner to be given tonight by the International Association of Fire Fighters, Local No. 191, in the Beacon Tea Room.

Fire Chief William E. Gaffney will also be a guest at the dinner. Retired members of the union have been invited to attend. It is expected that most of the 37 members of the Local will be present.




Native of the Town of Orleans,
Mr. Mahanna Taught 30 Years in That Vicinity
-- One Son, Leon, of Lafargeville Is Only Survivor.

Theresa, Dec. 27. -- James C. Mahanna, 76, retired school teacher and old time fiddler, died early this morning at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Wilcox, Main street, where he resided. He had been confined to bed about a week, suffering from a paralytic ailment.

He was born in the town of Orleans May 30, 1862, a son of William and Ellen Collins Mahanna. His grandfather, who came from County Cork, Ireland, was among the early settlers of that section.

Mr. Mahanna received his education in the town of Orleans. When he was a young man he became a school teacher, a profession which his seven older brothers and sisters had followed.

He started teaching in his home district, the Creek road.

Later he went to Barnes Settlement, Alexandria, Omar, Plessis and for a time was at Pink school house. Later he taught at Fishers Landing and Thousand Island Park.

In his early days, Mr. Mahanna learned to play the violin. For a time he lived in the midwest and west where he won several fiddlers’ contests. He also won several prizes in similar contests in this vicinity.

Mr. Mahanna’s wife, the former Annie Newton, whom he married May 26, 1889, died about 20 years ago. He was a member of St. Theresa’s Catholic church.

Mr. Mahanna was engaged as a school teacher for about 30 years. In later years he served as a clerk in the Commercial House here.

The only survivor is a son, Leon Mahanna, of Lafargeville.

Funeral services will be held Thursday morning at 9 from St. Theresa’s church. Rev. Walter Charbonneau, pastor, will officiate. Burial will be in the Redwood cemetery.




Redwood, Jan. 25. (1939) -- The marriage of Mrs. Julia Norton Kimball and Ernest Snell of Plessis, was performed at St. Paul’s rectory by Rev. R. F. Henderson Saturday evening.

They were attended by Horatio Norton and Mrs. Rachael Henderson, of Plessis.

Mrs. Snell is the only daughter of Horatio Norton and the late Harriette Bayer Norton of Plessis and is the widow of Newell Kimball of Redwood.

Mr. Snell is the foster-son of the late Leonard Snell and Mrs. Eunice Snell of Plessis.

The couple will reside in Plessis.




Native of Town of Alexandria,
Mrs. Hill Had Spent Most of Life in Vicinity of Plessis
-- She Was Married Three Times.

Plessis, Dec. 19. (1938) -- Funeral services for Mrs. Lucinda Brucker Hill, 83, resident of this vicinity most of her life, were held here at 2 this afternoon from the home of her son, Charles Heath, where she died Saturday at 6 p.m. after 18 months’ ill health.

Rev. Joseph Schnetzler, pastor of the Watertown Seventh Day Adventist church, officiated at the rites. Burial was in Brookside cemetery here. The bearers were Clarence L. Collins, Hugh Steele, Frank Bellinger and William Hardy.

Mrs. Hill, widow of Wallace Hill, was a native of the town of Alexandria. She was born Nov. 15, 1855, daughter of Charles and Hulda Brucker. Her mother was a granddaughter of James Tenney, an American soldier in the Revolutionary war.

Mrs. Hill was married three times. Her son, Charles Heath, was born to her first husband. A daughter born to that union died in infancy. After Mr. Heath died Mrs. Hill was married to a Mr. Hepburn, and after his death she was married here to Mr. Hill, a gardener, in 1894.

Mr. and Mrs. Hill lived a few years in the west after their marriage, returning here about 40 years ago. Mr. Hill died here about 30 years ago. Mrs. Hill was a member of the Seventh Day Adventist church more than 50 years.

Mrs. Hill is survived by one son, Charles Heath of Plessis; one step-son, Harold Hill of Philadelphia; one sister, Mrs. Willard Stephenson of Theresa, eight grandchildren and ten great grandchildren.



HAMMOND. -- (1939) Donald James Scanlon, 8-year old son of Mrs. Marie Scanlon and the late James R. Scanlon, died instantly at 9:15 a.m. Saturday in an accident while sliding in Main st., a few blocks from his home.

The boy’s body was found by Buddy Schermerhorn, 14, a compaion, who was also in a group of lads coasting on handsleds in the highway.

Truck Sought

State police sought a truck that Schermerhorn recalled had passed the location shortly before the body was found.

It was believed the boy had either been struck by a truck or had slid into it. The sled upon which he had been coasting was not badly damaged.

Dr. R. A. Lewis, who examined the boy, said he died almost instantly, from a broken neck and also suffered facial and throat injuries. Dr. S. Pope Brown of Potsdam, coroner, was notified.




He Had Been Employed as Machinist at Bagley & Sewall Company For 14 Years
Up to Six Weeks Ago
-- He Since Had Been Out of work.

Ralph Allen Parker, 53, Redwood, a machinist at the Bagley & Sewell company for the past 14 years until six weeks ago, ended his life by hanging in the garage back of his Redwood home early Thursday night.

Parker, believed to have been despondent because he was out of work, tied a sash cord around a joist of the garage, which he had just finished building this week, and jumped off a nail keg.

Dr. E. E. Eddy, Redwood, named coroner’s physician, gave a verdict of “suicide, with death from strangulation.”

Parker, who was born in Theresa, Aug. 17, 1885, was in good health and members of his family said he appeared cheerful at dinner late Friday afternoon. His wife, an invalid, and son, George, 20, said they had no inkling that Parker would end his life.

Mr. and Mrs. Parker and George had dinner at 5:30 Friday afternoon. About an hour later Parker left the house, his family supposing that he went out to care for his hens and one cow.

When he did not return to the house, the wife and son believed he might have gone to the postoffice. When he had not returned at 8:45, his family became alarmed. The son went outside and looked in the new two-stall garage. There he saw his father hanging, dead.

The son notified Dr. Eddy who called Sheriff Brayton E. Peck and District Attorney Carl J. Hynes. The district attorney appointed Dr. Eddy as coroner’s physician. Sheriff Peck and Deputy Sheriff McDermott investigated the case.

Parker had made his home in the village of Redwood for the past 20 years. Dr. Eddy, upon examining the victim, said he probably died at about 8:30 -- 15 minutes before his body was discovered.

Parker is survived by his wife and two sons, George, 20, and Harley, 27, an orderly at a hospital in Amsterdam.



Miss Koral M. Cosselman, 136 Seymour street, and Paul E. Rich, 609 Cooper street, were married last Thursday by Rev. Walter C. Middleton, rector of Trinity church.

The couple was attended by Carl A. Rich and Miss Carol Marvin, both of this city.

Mrs. Rich was born in this city, the daughter of Herbert and Carrie Cosselman. She is a floor walker at Newberry’s store here.

Mr. Rich, native of this city and son of Harris and Frances C. Rich, is an office clerk.

Typist’s Note: The following note appeared in parenthesis in pencil: (Carrie House’s daughter)


Judge Paul E. Porter 30 Years in Practice (1939)

Theresa Lawyer Since 1909, Judge Porter Is Special Surrogate of County and Bank Vice President.

Theresa, Jan. 11. -- Special Surrogate Paul E. Porter noted the 30th anniversary of his legal practice in Theresa Monday at his office in Commercial street, where he opened his practice Jan. 9, 1909.

Son of the late Sherman and Sarah Rappole Porter, Judge Porter was educated in the local high school before going to college. The family resided in Plessis before coming to Theresa, and pioneered for a time in Dakota.

Since locating in Theresa Judge Porter has taken an active interest in local affairs. He is vice president of the Farmers National bank and is secretary of the Theresa Free library board. He is also a member of the Theresa school board and trustee of the Theresa Presbyterian church. He is special surrogate of Jefferson county and served the town of Theresa as supervisor several years.

He married Miss Katherine Rebscher of Antwerp. There are two children, Dorothy, a teacher in a Rochester school, and John, a student in Theresa high school.


PHOTO -- Squire Haskin

Mr. Haskin, organist and choirmaster of the First Presbyterian church of Buffalo, will be the guest pianist at the annual concert of the Women’s chorus of Watertown Morning Musicales, Inc., which will be given Tuesday at All Souls Universalist church. Mr. Haskin is a native of Theresa and was at one time organist at the First Presbyterian church of this city. He will play two groups on the piano during the concert.


PHOTO -- Miss Clara French (1939)

Miss Clara French, Theresa, who has served over five years as missionary to China for the Methodist church, and who has been home on furlough for the past 18 months, sailed today from Vancouver, B. C., on the Empress of Russia, for China to begin a term of six more years of missionary work in the Orient. The Missionary Society has requested her to report at Shanghai to await further orders.



Philadelphia, Jan. 21. (1939) -- Mrs. Jane Ball, 81, town of Alexandria, widow of Amos Ball, died at 4:10 p.m. yesterday at the Community hospital, Theresa, where she had been a patient ten days and where she underwent an operation.

She was a native of Canada. The family came to this country when she was a child.

Surviving are two daughters, Mrs. Bertha Murphy, Philadelphia, and Mrs. Natalie Simmons, Elmira; three sons, Charles H. Ball, Battle Lake, Minn.; Leslie A. Ball, Watertown, and Chauncey G. Ball, Philadelphia; three grandchildren and several nieces and nephews.

Funeral services will be held at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Murphy, at 11 a.m. Monday with burial in Barnes Settlement cemetery, Alexandria.


Barn Damaged by Fire.

Redwood, Jan. 26. (1939) -- Fire of unknown origin caused damage of about $300 to the barn on the Garrette West property Friday. The fire department saved the lower half of the two-story building.


DDaughter is Born.F

Plessis, Jan. 24 (1939). -- A daughter, Kay Phylis, weight eight pounds, was born to Mr. and Mrs. Roscoe Hunter at Brown’s Corners on Jan. 15.




Miss Lorena VanAllen

Miss Lorena VanAllen, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Howard VanAllen, Perch Lake, will leave soon for Bedford where she has accepted a position. She was given a farewell party Sunday evening at the home of her parents by several of her friends.



Theresa, Feb. 2. (1939). -- Mr. and Mrs. Walter W. Tilley are celebrating their 29th wedding anniversary today with a dinner at their home in Riverside avenue. Mr. Tilley, who served two terms as postmaster, is now retired. Mrs. Tilley is connected with the faculty of the Theresa High school.

Mr. and Mrs. Tilley were married at DeRuyter, home of the bride, then Miss Ethel Smith, by the late Rev. W. J. Hancock, pastor of the Methodist church. Before her marriage Mrs. Tilley was a member of the Theresa High school faculty. Both Mr. and Mrs. Tilley are workers in the Methodist church. Mr. Tilley is president of the board of trustees.

There are four children, Sherman, assistant postmaster of Theresa; Mrs. Gerald (Helen) Schell, residing on one of the Tilley farms; Mrs. Terrill (Mabel) Hastings, residing on another of the Tilley farms here and Robert, in high school. There are four grandchildren.



Redwood, Feb. 4. (1939). -- Funeral services for Mrs. Alice Swift Gordon, who died Monday, were held at her home Wednesday at 1 p.m. Rev. R. F. Henderson, pastor of St. Paul’s Lutheran church, officiated.

Neighbors who acted as bearers were Fred Sourwine, Karl Felder, Clarence Freeman, Edward Duprey, Ray Babcock and Harold Babcock.



(headline missing)

Theresa, Feb. 7. (1939). -- A telegram was received here Sunday afternoon from Albuquerque, N. M., announcing the sudden death of Leslie Walts, 41, Orleans native, in that city on Saturday night. The telegram was addressed to Mrs. A. C. Wilcox, in care of Miss Margaret Cavanaugh, Theresa, and was signed by Mrs. Leslie Walts of Albuquerque. Burial would be made there, the message stated, but gave no other details of his illness or death.

Mr. Walts visited this section last summer, after the death of his father, William A. Walts of Orleans. At that time he was a salesman of automobile parts in the west.

Leslie Walts was born Dec. 25, 1897, only son of the late William A. and Addie Tassey Walts. The Walts homestead was in the Jack street section of Orleans and he was a schoolmate of Hayes Cavanaugh in Jack street. Both men went to reside at Albuquerque, Mr. Cavanaugh for his health and Mr. Walts because he liked the climate. Both died within six months.

When a young man Mr. Walts took up farming, but later went to Utica and opened a store. Later he went west and his whereabouts was unknown to his father. Miss Cavanaugh, in charge of the local telephone office, knew through her brother, Mr. Walts was in the west. When William A. Walts died late last spring, Miss Cavanaugh sent a message to her brother and a radio station there broadcast the information and Mr. Walts came to Theresa and Orleans.

He was the last of his family. When he had settled the estate of his father, he returned to the west because he liked the climate there. There is an uncle, George Tassey, residing in Watertown. Mrs. A. C. Wilcox, to whom the telegraph was address, is a cousin.



Redwood, Feb. 2. (1939). -- Miss Mary Ann O’Hara, 74, of this village, died at 6 last night in the Mercy hospital, Watertown, where she had been a patient since Jan. 26. She had been in poor health for about two months.

Miss O’Hara was born Oct. 29, 1864, at Rossie, a daughter of James and Mary Farrell O’Hara. She resided at Rossie and Gouverneur before coming to this village to live about 25 years ago.

Surviving here are a brother, Charles O’Hara, Rossie, and three sisters, Mrs. Jane Howard, Syracuse, Mrs. Elmer J. (Martha) Evans, Redwood, and Mrs. Frank Lee, Rossie.

She was a member of St. Francis Xavier church here.

The body will be taken to the home of her nephew, Bernard Evans of Redwood.

Funeral services will be held Friday morning at 9:30 from the home of her nephew and at 10 in St. Francis Xavier church. Burial will be made in St. Patrick’s cemetery at Rossie.




Trial of Comstock May Take Place During Present Term of County Court
-- Shortage in Village Accounts Was Investigated by January Grand Jury.

J. Davis Comstock, 45, former village treasurer of Alexandria Bay, pleaded not quilty to 27 indictments handed up under seal by the January grand jury charging violation of Section 1865 of the penal laws, when brought before County Judge Howard B. Donaldson at chambers this morning.

It is alleged that through failure to make entries of receipts of village moneys and by other alleged irregularities Comstock covered up shortages totaling $6,558.38.

Comstock, who entered the St. Lawrence state hospital at Ogdensburg last November as a voluntary patient, is said to have left that institution Tuesday. He was brought to this city this morning by his attorney, Clinton B. Wiltse, of the Alexandria Bay law firm of Wiltse & De Young, who produced him in court.

District Attorney Carl J. Hynes appeared against him and asked that bail be fixed when Comstock pleaded not guilty. Judge Donaldson set the mount of the bond at $2,000 and sureties will guarantee the amount about 3:30 this afternoon, it was said, members of his family going on his bond.

Asked when the trial of Comstock would take place, District Attorney Hynes said that a definite date had not been set, but that it would be some time during the present term of court.

The 27 indictments handed up against Comstock were among the large number of sealed ones reported by the grand jury to Justice Henry J. Kimball last month.

Comstock was village treasurer of Alexandria Bay from 1926 until he resigned shortly before entering the state hospital. From 1923 until it was closed during the bank holiday in 1933 and placed under a receivership he was cashier of the First National bank of the Thousand Islands. He began work as a bank employee in 1914 after having been employed in Henry Hartman’s hardware school following his Alexandria Bay High school graduation in 1910. He began his bank work as a bookkeeper.

Alleged shortages in his accounts as village treasurer became the subject of a report made by investigators of the state comptroller’s office late in December. The report declared Comstock concealed village moneys when he made his annual reports and thereby built up a substantial shortage. In addition to being village treasurer he was collector of the school district for the past four years and treasurer of the Bay fire department for the past ten years. An audit of his accounts in those capacities was also made, but report on it has not been disclosed.




Natives of Germany, Mr. and Mrs. Felder Came to Alexandria Bay
in 1884, Two Years After Their Marriage
-- Had Farm at Butterfield Lake.

Redwood, Feb. 2. (1939) -- Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Felder observed their 56th wedding anniversary quietly at their home here yesterday.

Mr. and Mrs. Felder were married in Mainz-on-the-Rhine, Germany, on Feb. 1, 1882. When their oldest son, Joseph, was a year old, they came to America, and arrived at Alexandria Bay July 14, 1884. Mr. Felder obtained a job as cheesemaker in a plant at Alexandria Bay where he worked eleven years.

Later he purchased a farm at the foot of Butterfield lake where the family lived more than 20 years.

For the past 21 years the Felders have lived in retirement in this village.

Mr. and Mrs. Felder have three sons, Joseph, jr., of Plessis, and Carl and Otto of Redwood and three daughters, Mrs. James (Emma) Walton of Redwood, and Mrs. Carl (Victoria) Wilson of Watertown. Another daughter, Mrs. Samuel (Rose) Strong of Cleveland, O., died Jan. 5, 1935. There are also 17 grandchildren and one great-grandson.



The secret marriage of Ambrose Carl Cleary, of 319 Prospect street, assistant manager of the Postal Telegraph office here, to Miss Joy Marjorie Hardy, Philadelphia, which took place in New York city on Aug. 27, 1938, was revealed today.

Clarence Shaver, 670 Cooper street, and Miss Doris Berry, Alexandria Bay, friends of the couple, were the attendants. The marriage was made known to the parents of the couple today.

Mrs. Cleary, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Hardy, Philadelphia, has been a student nurse at the Presbyterian hospital, medical center, New York, for the past two and a half years. She was educated in the schools at Philadelphia and was graduated from the Philadelphia High school. She later attended Diebert’s business school in that village. She is active in the dramatic club at the New York hospital.

Mr. Cleary, the son of Mr. and Mrs. James H. Cleary, 319 Prospect street, received his education in the Arsenal street grammar school and the Watertown High school. He graduated from the high school in January, 1933. He has been associated with the Postal Telegraph office here for four years, two of which he has served as assistant manager.

Mr. Cleary will leave Wednesday for New York city where he will meet his wife and return to this city to make their home. They will reside temporarily at 319 Prospect street.



Alexandria, Feb. 2. (1939) -- Howard Towers, 19, of Wellesley island, died of acute nephritis about 10 this morning in the Mercy hospital, Watertown. He was taken to the hospital last Sunday evening, a day after he became seriously ill at his home.

Son of Mrs. Irene Brown Towers of Wellesley island and the late George Towers, he was a 1938 graduate of the Alexandria Bay High school. He had always lived on Wellesley island, where he was born July 23, 1919. His father died there on March, 1926.

Surviving besides his mother are three brothers, George, 21, Clinton, 17, and Earl, 13, and one sister, Minnie, 14, all of Wellesley island.

Funeral services will be held Saturday from the Densmore Methodist Episcopal church on Wellesley island, with Rev. W. R. Carter, pastor, officiating. Interment will be in the Wellesley island cemetery.




Redwood, Feb. 7, (1939) -- Regina Schnauber, 67, died at her home on the Redwood-Ogdensburg road at 6 Saturday evening after an illness of four years following a stroke.

She was born at the home, where she died, on March 5, 1871, daughter of William and Regina Reuffler Schnauber. She resided on the Schnauber homestead until she moved to Redwood about 42 years ago. She lived in Redwood 29 years and moved back to the farm ten years ago.

She suffered a stroke four years ago in March and had been confined to her bed ever since.

She was a charter member of Kirkland grange, No. 684, and also a member of St. Paul’s Lutheran church.

Her only near survivor is a daughter, Miss Ruth Schnauber, who resides at home, and a grandnephew, Roger Haas of Evans Mills.

Funeral services will be held on Wednesday, Feb. 8 at 2 p.m. from the home. Rev. Richard Henderson, pastor of St. Paul’s church, officiating. Burial will be in the Redwood cemetery.



Hammond, Feb. 8. -- John Fletcher, 63, Rossie, died Tuesday morning at 10:30 at an Ogdensburg hospital where he had been a patient since Jan. 25. Death was caused from pneumonia.

Mr. Fletcher was born in Rossie March 8, 1875, the son of Edward and Isabelle McIlwain Fletcher. When a young man he went to Utah where he spent some time in mining and later he sailed on the Great Lakes. On July23, 1913, he was married to Miss Grace Herbison of Brockville, Ont., at Ogdensburg by Rev. Mr. Wilds.

After the marriage they purchased the Edward Doyle farm in Rossie on which they had since resided.

Besides his widow, he is survived by two daughters, Miss Mabel Fletcher of Watertown and Miss Mildred Fletcher of New York; two sons, James of Belmont; and Claud who resides at home; one sister, Mrs. John Weston of Sackets Harbor, and two nieces, Mrs. Ambrose Moran of Potsdam and Mrs. Dale Carrier of Michigan.



(actual headline missing)

Theresa, Feb. 2. (1939) -- The belief that the settlement of Theresa was not started unto; 1817 seems to be upset by an old bill that has come to light showing the expense Mr. LeRay had in building a “bridge across Indian river at Theresa.” The first date on the bill showing work done was made June 15, 1812.

The bill lists each person working on the bridge and the amount paid him. Among the names are some of the known pioneers, Benjamin Barnes, who was brickmaker and a local preacher, and Jacob Cole, who did bridge work for the army at a creek between Redwood and Alexandria Bay.

The man who drew the largest amount and probably worked the longest was Ruben Smith. He worked 33½ days, eleven days at $1.50 per day and the remainder of the time at $2. He was one of the highest paid workers. Most laborers received 70 cents per day.

The work evidently started June 15 and ended in August, as the last date for labor is Aug. 10. Among some of the names listed as working on the bridge are John Sandburn, Luther Stoddard, Mr. Morgan, Mr. Hoover, N. Holcomb, Mr. Steele, Jonathan Davis, Mr. Fuller, F. Bebee, Mr. Cooper, and of course, Mr. Barnes and Mr. Cole.

The total cost of the bridge appears to have been $256.21. Ezra Church and James Howard had charge of the work and on Sept. 10, 1812, there is recorded on the bill the following: “Received from J. LeRay de Chaumont, $152.59 on account of building a bridge on Indian river at Theresa.” It is signed by “James Howard for Ezra Church.” The bridge was where the “lower” bridge is now located in this village, by the power pant.




Theresa, Feb. 2 (1939) -- Mrs. Minnie Adelaide Micheau Shouletter, 64, wife of Cornelius Schoulette, Redwood farmer, died at 8:50 Saturday morning at her home near Godrey’s Corners, after an illness of over one year attributed to complication of diseases.

Mrs. Shoulette was born in Redwood on Jan. 28, 1875, daughter of Francis and Esther Cross Micheau. On April 24, 1895, she was married to Cornelius Shoulette at Alexandria Bay by Rev. Father Ambrose. The couple moved to Barnes Settlement and lived on the Shoulette homestead for 17 years and moved to Godfrey’s Corners 22 years ago where they have since resided.

Besides her husband, she is survived by four sons, Floyd, Oswald, Roscoe, and Carl, all of Redwood; one grandson, Robert Shoulette also of Redwood; a nephew, Kenneth McConnell, of Syracuse, and a niece, Ruth Micheau of Orleans Corners. A son, Leo, passed away in May, 1938.

A prayer service will be held from the home Tuesday at 9 a.m. and from St. Cyril’s Catholic church at 10 a.m., Rev. Father Dussault, pastor, officiating. Burial will be made in St. Cyril’s cemetery at Alexandria Bay.



(portion of headline missing)
Retired Eight Years Ago After 25 Years in Six Churches,
Rev. Mr. Pratt Prepared For Ministry By Studying Alone,
With Aid of Other Clergymen.

Carthage, Feb. 20. -- Rev. Erastus E. Pratt, 66, retired Methodist Episcopal minister of the Carthage-Natural Bridge road, died at the House of the Good Shepherd in Syracuse at 3:20 Sunday morning.

He had been in ill health the past eight years and was stricken seriously ill at his home Feb. 6. He was removed to the Syracuse hospital in the Ullman & Dunlop ambulance and later underwent an operation for hernia. It was believed that he was recovering satisfactorily until Saturday evening when his condition became worse.

The eldest of three boys, he was born at Birch Run, Mich., April 14, 1872, a son of Justus W. and Carrie Pierce Pratt. At the age of three he came to this section with his parents, who settled at Redwood. Three years later the family moved to Natural Bridge. He was educated in the schools of that section and spent his early life here. As a young man he engaged in the grocery business at Watertown for a short time.

About 1906 he became interested in the ministry. He studied by himself and with the aid of other clergymen in this section. He was active for 25 years, serving pastorates at Macomb, Champion, Port Leyden, Cape Vincent, Fine View and Plessis. Eight years ago, while located at Plessis, his health began to fail, necessitating his retirement. He returned to his former home in the town of Wilna on the Carthage-Natural Bridge road, two miles from Natural Bridge. Despite his illness, Rev. Mr. Pratt maintained a strong interest in the church and had been active in this work at Natural Bridge. During the past three years, however, he had been confined to his bed a great deal of the time.

He was twice married. In July, 1897, he married Miss Lydia Robison of Watertown in a ceremony performed at the First Methodist Episcopal church parsonage in Carthage. To this union was born one daughter. Mrs. Pratt died January, 1920, at Cape Vincent. Eighteen years ago Rev. Mr. Pratt married Mrs. Isabel Cameron Barrett of Malone. To this union two children were born.

Surviving besides his wife are one daughter by his first marriage, Miss Elsie Pratt, who resides at Beaver Falls; one daughter by his second marriage, Miss Jane Pratt, who resides at home; one son by his second marriage, Donald Pratt, a student at Carthage High school, who resides at home; one step-son, Malcolm Barrett, who resides at home; an uncle, Manley Pratt of Watertown, and several nephews and nieces.

The body was brought to the Ullman & Dunlop funeral home here yesterday.

A prayer service will be held at the funeral home at 1 p.m. Wednesday and funeral services will be conducted at 2 p.m. at the Natural Bridge Methodist Episcopal church with Rev. A. A. Lawrence, pastor, officiating. Burial will be made in Sand Hill cemetery.




Lifelong Resident of Town of Hammond,
Mr. Smith Was Twice Appointed Eleven Years as Cashier of Bank B -- Funeral Saturday

Hammond, Feb. 23. (1939) -- Postmaster Lee R. Smith, 56, lifelong resident of the town of Hammond, died at 12:15 this morning at his home in Main street. His death was caused by coronary thrombosis. He had been ill three weeks.

Mr. Smith was born in the town of Hammond April 18, 1882, son of John A. and Cora Starkweather Smith. He was graduated from the Hammond High school and of the music course at the state normal school at Potsdam.

He married Miss Bess Johnston here Nov. 20, 1907, and for seven years lived on the Smith homestead farm near Oak Point. He and his wife moved to the village of Hammond in 1914, and bought the present home in Main street. Shortly afterward Mr. Smith was appointed postmaster, and held that position six years. For the next eleven years he was cashier of the Citizens’ National bank here. Two years ago he was again appointed postmaster, and continued in that capacity until his death.

Mr. Smith was a member of the local Masonic lodge and of the Presbyterian church. He served as choir leader in that church for ten years.

Surviving Mr. Smith besides his wife are one son, Robert Smith, a senior in the Hammond High school, and one granddaughter, Gayle Frances Smith, of Liberty.

The funeral will be held from the home in Main street at 2 p.m. Saturday. Burial will be in the Ingham cemetery at North Hammond.




Redwood, Feb. 24. (1939) -- Word has been received here by relatives of the death of Mrs. Harriette Brown Clark, wife of George Clark of Newburgh, on Feb. 10.

Mrs. Clark is a former resident of Redwood and was the daughter of the late Ackus and Minnie Brown.



(1939) - Isaac B. Mitchell, Lafargeville, Republican candidate for state senator from the 37th senatorial district comprised of the counties of Jefferson and Oswego, was elected by a five to one vote in the entire district over Attorney Frederick J. Pendergast, Carthage, Democrat, in Tuesday’s special senatorial election.

With one district missing in Jefferson county’s 95 and 4 missing in Oswego county’s 79, Mr. Mitchell had a majority of 9,690 over Attorney Pendergast.




Redwood, March 2. (1939) -- Mrs. Annie Brown Clink, 83, widow of Dr. Robert Clink, resident of Redwood for approximately a half a century, died at the Theresa Community hospital on Wednesday at 11 a.m. from infirmities of old age.

She was born on a leap year and despite her advanced age she had celebrated her birthday only 20 times, the last time on Feb. 29, 1936, when she was honored at a dinner party given by Mrs. Floyd White.

Mrs. Clink was born on Feb. 29, 1856 in Oshawa, Ont., Canada, a daughter of James and Sarah Ann Cooper Brown. She was twice married. Her first husband was a Mr. Parish of South Hammond who died.

She came to this section from Canada first in about 1873. Her marriage to Dr. Robert Clink took place in Brockville, Ont., in November, 1881. Her home was in Michigan for a time before returning here a half century ago. Mrs. Clink had been a resident of Redwood ever since.

The survivors are one brother, Samuel Brown of Plessis, and two sisters, Mrs. Jennie DeLair of Hammond and Mrs. Clista Drinkel of Oshawa, Canada.

Funeral services will be held from the home Friday at 2 p.m. with burial in Oshawa, Ont.



Death Attributed to Infirmities of Old Age
--Private Prayer Service Is to Be Held on Monday.

Evans Mills, March 4. (1939). -- Mrs. Eliza Jane Fairchild Cadwell Kelsey, who observed her 98th birthday last November 18, was found dead in bed about six this morning by her daughter, Mrs. Howard VanAllen with whom she resided on the Perch Lake road about six miles from this village. Mrs. Van Allen last saw her mother alive at midnight when she gave her medical attention. Mrs. Kelsey had been in fairly good health for her advanced age until recently. Death was attributed to the infirmities of old age.

Mrs. Kelsey was born on Nov. 18, 1840, in the village of Rossie, a daughter of Alfred and Julia Thompson Fairchild. Her father was one of the English pioneers of the section.

She was twice married. She was married to Alfred Cadwell in 1861. The had three children, Mrs. Nellie Gallagher of Syracuse, Mrs. Abi Wright of Chicago, Ill., and Austin Cadwell, also of Chicago. Alfred Cadwell died about 1876. Later she married Harrison Kelsey who died 16 years ago. To this union were born eight children, Mrs. Howard VanAllen of Evans Mills, Mrs. Daisy Cummings of Watertown, Mrs. Viola Bowles of Alexandria Bay, Herbert Kelsey of Copenhagen and Byron Kelsey of Omar. All eight children survive.

A private prayer service will be held at the VanAllen home Monday at 2:30 p.m. with Rev. William Fuller, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church of Stone Mills, officiating. The body will be placed in the vault at the Omar cemetery to await burial in the spring.



(headline missing)

Theresa, March 18 (1939). -- Aaron Benson, 83, lifelong farmer of this vicinity, died suddenly of a heart attack a little before 7 this morning while feeding calves in the barn at his farm a mile and a half from here on the English Settlement road. His wife died two weeks ago today.

Mr. Benson appeared in his usual good health this morning as he and his stepson, Harold Kysar, did the morning chores. After separating the milk at the house, Mr. Benson carried two pails of skim milk to the barn to feed two calves. When he did not return for breakfast his stepson went to the barn and found him dead. Mr. Benson apparently was stricken after feeding one calf and as he was about to feed the other.

Mr. Benson was born in a log house at the English Settlement on Indian river, at the present Hotis farm, on June 9, 1855, son of Ephraim and Julia Colvin Benson. When he was four years old his mother was killed by a tree which blew down as Mr. Benson, his parents and his brother, Amos took refuge from a storm while driving in the northern part of the town.

After attending the English Settlement school, Mr. Benson worked on several farms of the region, and later bought his present farm of 186 acres. He continued actively to operate his farm until his death.

Mr. Benson was twice married. His first wife, the former Miss Alzina Hough, whom he married about 40 years ago, died in 1906. Two years later, on Dec. 3, 1908, Mr. Benson married Mrs. Eva Rolland Kysar, widow of John Kysar.

Mr. Benson was an active member of the Theresa Methodist Episcopal church.

Surviving are his stepson, Harold Kysar; one half-sister, Mrs. Cora Harris of Joliet, Ill., and one adopted daughter, Mrs. Fred (May) Howland of Theresa. The funeral will be held from the home at 2 p.m. Tuesday, with Rev. U. B. Grant, pastor of the local Methodist Episcopal church, officiating. The body will e placed in the vault of Oakwood cemetery to await burial in the spring.




J. H. Moore Suffered a Fractured
Hip in Fall in His Barn on Tuesday
-- Funeral to Be Held Friday.

Redwood, Feb. 9. (1939) -- John H. Moore, 82, farmer and resident of this section all his life, died at 8:38 this morning in the Mercy hospital, Watertown, as the result of a fractured hip received Tuesday morning when he fell in the barn at his farm about five miles from this village on Gore road.

After the accident Dr. H. L. Gokey of Alexandria Bay was --?-- to attend him. Later in the day he was removed to the hospital by ambulance.

Mr. Moore was born Nov. 1, 1856, on the Moore homestead, near Redwood, a son of John and Mary McCartin Moore. He had always lived in Redwood and vicinity. He married Miss Elsie Bauder of Redwood in Redwood in November, 1882.

He was a member of the Plessis grange and St. Cyril’s Catholic church of Alexandria Bay.

Surviving him, besides his wife, are five children, Frank, Morris, Lawrence and Milo Moore and Mrs. Leslie (Kathleen) Parker, all of Redwood; a brother, Emmett Moore, Redwood, and two sisters, Mrs. Fred (Emma) Griswould, Watertown, and Mrs. Elizabeth Fortune, Gouverneur.

Funeral services will be held Friday morning at 10 in St. Cyril’s Catholic church, Alexandria Bay. Rev. Armand Dussault, pastor, will officiate. Burial will be made in St. Cyril’s cemetery at Alexandria Bay.



(portion of headline missing)

Native of Pennsylvania, Former Resident of Watertown,
Dies at His Home in New Orleans, La.
-- He Was a Saw Maker During the War.

Alexandria Bay, Feb. 6. (1939) -- Frank B. Brown, 70, father of Mrs. Olive Houghton of this village, died Saturday afternoon at 1:15 at his home in New Orleans, La., according to word received this morning by Mrs. Houghton. Death was attributed to heart disease.

Mr. Brown was born May 16, 1858, a son of the late Samuel R. and Elizabeth Bucher Brown, in Lanchester county, Pa. He married in 1878 at Rock Island, Ill. Mr. Brown was a member of the Masonic orders in New Orleans. Practically his entire life was spent in New Orleans, although he resided a few years in Watertown, where he was employed as a saw maker during the World war period.

The body will arrive here today and funeral services will be held from the Giltz funeral home here at 2 p.m. Tuesday. Burial will be in the Walton street cemetery. Rev. Roger Williams of the Methodist church will officiate.

Mr. Brown is survived by two sons, Frank Brown, jr., of Call, Tex., and Theodore Brown of New Orleans; a daughter, Mrs. Houghton, and five brothers, Oliver Brown of San Francisco, Calif; Samuel Brown of Arlington, Ky.; Schuyler Brown of Memphis, Tenn., Harvey Brown of Davenport, Ia., and Martin Brown, address unknown.




Philadelphia, Feb. 17. (1939) -- Mrs. Agnes Holkins Mosher, 52, died at her farm home about three miles from this village on the Sterlingville road, Thursday, at 6 p.m., after an illness of six months.

Mrs. Mosher was born Oct. 26, 1886, a daughter of Stanton F. and Caroline Hart Holkins. She attended the Philadelphia schools and in 1903 was graduated from the Philadelphia High school. She completed her course at the Antwerp Training class in 1904 and taught district schools for seven years, one of which she taught a school in Theresa.

She was married to Leonard Mosher on June 8, 1911. The couple moved to the farm home where Mrs. Mosher died. They had no children.

Mrs. Mosher was an active member of the Philadelphia Congregational church and its societies. She was also a member of the local chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star.

Surviving are her husband; two sisters, Mrs. Frank (Mamie Holikns) Ronas of Philadelphia, and Mrs. Charles (Hazel Holkins) Hunter of Plessis; three nephews, Carlton and John Ronas and Charles Hunter; one niece, Mrs. Calvin O’Neill of Watertown; and one uncle, B. C. Holkins of Syracuse.

Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday from the home with Rev. E. O. Eaton, pastor of the Philadelphia Congregational church, officiating. Burial will be made in Sandy Hollow cemetery.


Dollingers Have Daughter

Alexandria Bay, Feb. 24 (1939) -- A daughter, Carol Ann, was born yesterday to Mr. and Mrs. Monroe Dollinger, 6 Cornwall street.



Redwood, Feb. 16. (1939) -- Leonard J. Herman, 47, this village, was arrested on a charge of third degree burglary Saturday night after, it is charged, he entered the local Community store where the manager, Donald White, and White’s father, Floyd, were lying in wait for him.

Herman, arraigned before Justice of the Peace B. L. Hawkins, demanded an examination. He was released on $500 bail pending the hearing.

Donald White, who signed the warrant information, said that he became suspicious of Herman Saturday afternoon when he saw the man remove a padlock from a storeroom door in the store. He told Undersheriff L. Raymond Johndrow, who arrested Herman, that he and his father drove a short distance out of the village after closing time Saturday and then returned, parking their car at the south end of the village. White said that he and his father went to the store where they lay in wait for Herman who they allege entered through the storeroom door.



Alexandria Bay, Feb. 16. (1939) -- Harold E. Thomas, who located relatives here last summer through a letter to The Watertown Times, arrived here Saturday from Clement, Calif., and will make his future home in this village.

Mr. Thomas was born in the state of Washington and when very young moved with his parents, the late Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Thomas, to California. In 1918, when he was 13 years old both his parents died. Last summer after wondering whether he had any relatives or not, he remembered that he had heard his parents speak of Watertown, N. Y., so he wrote the Watertown Daily Times through Chief of Police John Gilligan of that city.

After reading the article in the paper, Mrs. Edward Plimpton of this village telephoned Mr. Gilligan and received her nephew’s address. Next day she sent him a letter inviting him to come east and be her guest for a period.

Mr. Thomas plans on making his home in this section.




Redwood, Feb. 14. (1939) -- Charles Andrew Bates of Orleans Four Corners, formerly of Redwood, and Miss Agnes Alvira Duffany of Orleans Four Corners, were married Saturday at 2:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s parsonage by Rev. Richard Henderson.

They were attended by Miss Helen Duffany and Almon Van Allen.

Mr. Bates is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Bruce Bates of Orleans Four Corners, former residents of Redwood. Mrs. Bates is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Duffany of Orleans.

They will reside with the bride’s parents.




Private Funeral Service to Be
Held From Home in Clayton on Wednesday Afternoon

Clayton, Feb. 13. (1939) -- Mrs. Mannie Leona Olney Leiterman, 70, wife of Leonard Leiterman, State street, this village, died Saturday at midnight after an illness of about a month. She had been confined to bed for the past three weeks.

Mrs. Leiterman was born in Redwood on Jan. 9, 1869, the only daughter of the late Darwin and Caroline Helmer Olney. She attended the Redwood schools and later the Ives Seminary, Antwerp, and the Crane Institute of Music in Potsdam.

On July 26, 1899, she was married to Leonard Leiterman in Redwood by the Rev. J. W. Higby, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church of that village. The couple took up their residence in Poughkeepsie, where Mr. Leiterman was engaged as a school teacher. Thirty years ago they moved to Clayton where Mr. Leiterman since has been in business.

Mrs. Leiterman was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church of Clayton, the Clayton Travelers club, the Chautauqua Literary society of Jefferson county and active in foreign ahd home missionary work.

Besides her husband, she is survived by two daughters, Miss Lucile Leiterman of Clayton and Mrs. N. Joseph Houghton of Framingham, Mass.

Private funeral services will be held from the home Wednesday at 2 p.m. with Rev. Royal Fishbeck, pastor of the Clayton Methodist Episcopal church, officiating. Burial will be made in the Plessis cemetery.




Redwood, Feb. 18. (1939) -- Miss Mary Anne Smith, 67, of Redwood, died Thursday at her home here following a short illness. Death was attributed to chronic myocarditis.

Miss Smith was born in Redwood on March 13, 1871, daughter of Benjamin and Martha George Smith. She had lived her entire life here and was the last member of her family.

She was a member of St. Peter’s Episcopal church.

She is survived by two nephews, Albert Elliott, of Redwood and Wesley Elliott of Theresa.

Funeral services will be held from the home Monday at 2 p.m. Rev. Carl Worden, rector of St. Peter’s Episcopal church, will officiate.

Interment will be in the Redwood cemetery.




Redwood, March 1, (1939) -- Prayer services for Mrs. Belle Borland, 59, who died at the home of Mrs. F. D. Blauvet (sic), 194 Riverside Drive, New York city, Monday at 7:30 p.m. will be held from the home of her sister, Mrs. John Watson, Thursday afternoon at 2:30 with Rev. W. J. Charbonneau, pastor of St. Francis Xavier Catholic church, officiating. Burial will be made in the Redwood cemetery.

Mrs. Borland had been ill for about two weeks prior to her death which was caused by cerebral thrombosis.

She was born in Limerick, a daughter of William and Frances Bauder, on March 4, 1879. She spent her early life in Limerick and March 4, 1895, she was married to Arthur Borland. Mr. Borland died several years ago. For the past 21 years Mrs. Borland had been employed as social secretary to Mrs. Blauvelt (sic).

Mrs. Borland is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Olive Manner, Seattle, Wash.; three grandchildren, also of Seattle; one sister, Mrs. John Watson, and Miss Emma Watson, a niece, both of this village. Miss Watson accompanied the body from New York, arriving here this morning.




Steamboat Pilot, Resident of Alexandria Bay For 30 Years,
Dies Suddenly at the High School
--He Was Pilot of Diesel Ships

Alexandria Bay, March 24 (1939). -- John Petrie, 47, steamboat pilot, dropped dead at the Alexandria Bay-Clayton basketball game in the high school gymnasium about 8 p.m. Thursday night from a heart attack.

Mr. Petrie was born in Jersey City, N. J., on Feb. 12, 1892, the son of Mrs. Katie Socuta of Baltic, Conn., and John Petrie, and was educated in Jersey City schools.

He came here 30 years ago as a mate on a steam yacht, and since then had piloted numerous commercial and private yachts on the St. Lawrence river and Great Lakes. For two years Mr. Petrie was pilot of a Diesel tug for the Hoffman Construction Company here, and for the last two years had been pilot of a Diesel tug on the barge canal.

Surviving Mr. Petrie are his wife, Mrs. Catherine Petrie, and seven children, DeForest, Elaine, Noel, Catherine, George, Molly and Morris, all of this village and his mother.

Funeral services will be held at the family home on Anthony street Sunday afternoon at 2. Burial will be in Barnes Settlement cemetery.




Mrs. Lucy Russell Bailey Expires in House Where She Was Born
-- Her Husband Was Deputy Sheriff 26 Years
-- Rites Held at the Home.

Redwood, March 20 (1939). -- Mrs. Lucy Russell Bailey, 74, widow of Patrick A. Bailey, deputy sheriff for 26 years, died Saturday at 4:45 p.m. at her home in this village after an illness of one year with a heart ailment.

Mrs. Bailey was born in the home where she died, on July 10, 1864, a daughter of George and Minerva Story Russell. She was married to Mr. Bailey April 2, 1907, at Utica by Rev. John R. Harding.

Her entire life was spent in this village.

Survivors include one brother, Henry Russell of Denver, Colo., and one half-sister, Mrs. Sanford of Parishville.

Funeral services were held at 2:30 this afternoon from the home, with Rev. Herbert Lamb, jr., of Sherbourne, former pastor of St. Peter’s Episcopal church of Redwood, officiating. The body was placed in the vault to await burial in the spring.




Redwood, March 15. (1939) -- Funeral services for Mrs. Elizabeth Baker Bentley, 86, mother of Mrs. Early Catlis of this village, who died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. J. E. Rose, Canton, Tuesday afternoon at 4:45, will be held at St. Xavier’s Catholic church Friday morning at 9 with Rev. Walter J. Charbonneau officiating. The body will be placed in the vault to await burial in the Redwood cemetery in the spring. She was the widow of William Bentley.

Mrs. Bentley was born in Fort Cologne, Ont., Jan. 1, 1853, a daughter of Charles and Betsy Pendergrass (sic) Baker. Sixty-six years ago last New Year’s day she was married to William Bentley in Canada. She continued to make her home in Canada until about 50 years ago when the couple came to this country, making their home in Gouverneur. She also resided at Cohoes for several years and about nine years ago made her home with her daughter, Mrs. Catlis, in this village.

Surviving are two daughters, Mrs. J. E. Rose, Canton, and Mrs. Earl Catlis, Redwood; one son, William Bentley, Flushing, L. I., and several grandchildren and great-grandchildren. One son, George Bentley, died about ten years ago.



(photo of the couple appeared above the write-up)

Mr. and Mrs. James H. Douglas To Quietly Note Anniversary

Sackets Harbor, March 27. (1939). -- Mr. and Mrs. James Hubert Douglas will observe their 62nd wedding anniversary on Tuesday. The day will be spent quietly at the Douglas home with no particular celebration to mark the event.

Mr. and Mrs. Douglas were married at Sackets Harbor on March 28, 1877, by Rev. L. L. Davy, who was then pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church of this village. The ceremony was performed at the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Lepper.

Mrs. Douglas is 81 years old and her husband is 88. Both enjoy comparatively good health. Mr. Douglas assists his son, Henry, in some of the lighter farm duties at his farm which is near the elder Douglas home on Dodge avenue. Mrs. Douglas does her own house work with the assistance of her husband and enjoys raising potted plants.

Mrs. Douglas was born on Pillar Point on June 5, 1858, a daughter of the late Henry and Harriet Lepper. Her family came to Sackets Harbor when Mrs. Douglas was a small child. She lived here until her marriage to James Henry Douglas, took (as written) her to the farm of her husband’s grandfather on Pillar Point. About 35 years ago they moved back to Sackets Harbor where they have since lived.

The couple has two children, Mrs. Delia Bellinger of Lafargeville and Henry Douglas who operates a farm in Sackets Harbor. They are members of the Methodist Episcopal church here.




Redwood, March 28. (1939) -- Mrs. Lillian Smith Northrup, 77, widow of Edgar C. Northrup, died at her home in this village at 4 this morning after a short illness. She suffered a stroke ten days ago from which she never recovered.

Mrs. Northrup was born in Redwood, Sept. 27, 1861, a daughter of Jacob and Phoebe Archer Smith. Her entire life was spent in this vicinity. She was married to Edgar C. Northrup in the town of Theresa Nov. 1, 1888, after which they made their home on a farm in that town until ten years ago. Since that time she has made her home in this village. Mr. Northrup died Dec. 4, 1938.

She is survived by one brother, John Smith of Redwood, and three nieces, Mrs. Cora Robinson, Redwood, Mrs. Phoebe Snyder, Ogdensburg, and Mrs. Lillian Dollinger, Theresa. A second brother, Charles Smith, died Feb. 26, 1938, and a sister, Mrs. Harriett Northrup, died March 4, 1938.

Funeral services will be held from the home Thursday at 2:30 p.m. with Rev. Richard Henderson, pastor of St. Paul’s Lutheran church, officiating. Burial will be made in the Redwood cemetery.



Lafargeville, March 14. (1939) -- Mrs. Alice L. Dickinson, 81, long an active W. C. T. U. member and the widow of Dr. Brayton W. Dickinson, died at 6 this morning at her home here following an illness of five weeks. Death followed a stroke.

She was born near Lafargeville, Sept. 4, 1858, the oldest daughter of Oliver and Matilda Denninger Burgen. Her grandfather, Eli Burgen, was among the first settlers of this vicinity. Mrs. Dickinson had resided here most all of her life.

On April, 13, 1863 (as written) she was married to Dr. Dickinson. Her husband was for 50 years a veterinarian until his death March 10, 1936. Mrs. Dickinson was a member of the Lafargeville Methodist Episcopal church. She was the last surviving charter member of the Women’s Temperance Christian Union with which she had been associated for many years. She was engaged in flower mission and relief work for the union.

Surviving are two children, Hugh Dickinson of Lafargeville and Mrs. Beatrice Webber of Cleveland, O., and a grandson, Robert Webber of Cleveland.

Funeral services will be held Thursday afternoon at 2:30 from the home. Rev. William Aubrey, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church, will officiate. Burial will be made in Grove cemetery at Lafargeville.



Plessis, March 27. (1939) -- Louis Ritter, 67, manager of the Central hotel here and formerly of Alexandria Bay, died of a heart ailment Friday at 11:30 p.m. in Hollandale, Fla., where he was spending the winter. Word of his death was received here Saturday by relatives.

Mr. Ritter, his wife and son, William Ritter of Alexandria Bay, left for Hollandale about Oct. 1. Mr. Ritter had been in good health prior to his sudden illness.

He was born in the town of Alexandria, Oct. 21, 1871, son of Wilson and Mary Pelow Ritter. When he was a young man he moved to Plessis, where he had resided most of his life since, with the exception of 20 years which he spent in Alexandria Bay.

In early life Mr. Ritter operated a mail service by horse and buggy between Plessis and Redwood. Shortly after moving to Alexandria Bay in 1918 he opened a meat market which he operated there until he took over the management of the St. James hotel. He operated that hotel until a year ago when he came to Plessis to assume management of the Central hotel.

On Nov. 6, 1894, he married Mildred Manning.

Surviving besides his wife and son are two daughters, Mrs. Francis J. (Grace) Webber of Plessis and Mrs. Edwin W. (Leona) Rogers of Alexandria Bay; two brothers, William and Charles Ritter of Plessis; nine grandchildren and several nieces and nephews.

The body is expected to arrive in Plessis tonight. The body will be placed in the Plessis cemetery vault for burial later in the spring. Mrs. Ritter is ill in Hollandale and will not accompany the body. She will return to Plessis after her recovery.




Lifelong Resident of Section, Mrs. Rowell Was Native of Town of Theresa
-- Her Husband and Two Sons Survive
-- Funeral Service Tuesday.

Plessis, March 13. (1939) -- Mrs. Minnie Wilson Rowell, 73, wife of Arthur Rowell, died suddenly of a heart attack at her home here yesterday morning at 6. She had previously been in good health and able to do her own housework.

She was born in the town of Theresa Oct. 3, 1864, daughter of Fernando and Isoline Wilson. She spent her entire life in this vicinity. She was married Oct. 18, 1882, to Mr. Rowell, then a resident of Theresa, a farmer and carpenter. The ceremony was performed by Rev. H. E. Chase, then pastor of the Alexandria Bay Methodist Episcopal church.

Mrs. Rowell was a member of the Plessis Methodist church and a charter member of the Plessis grange, No. 629.

She is survived by her husband; two sons, Earl of Syracuse and Frank of Plessis; four grandchildren and one great-grandchild.

The funeral will be held from the home at 1 p.m. Tuesday, with Rev. Miles L. Hutchinson of the Belleville Methodist Episcopal church, and Rev. Louis Bruce, local Methodist pastor, officiating. The family has requested that flowers be omitted.

The body will be placed in the vault of Brookside cemetery here to await burial in the spring. Bearers will be Mrs. Rowell’s two sons, Frank and Earl; two grandsons, Niles and Allen Rowell; a nephew, Cushman Sprague, and a grandson-in-law, Gordon Bolia.



Mrs. Gladys Rogers, Redwood, upon whose car local police have placed 14 parking violation tickets dating as far back as April 22, 1938, will be tried in city court Saturday morning.

Mrs. Rogers, whose husband has told city court officials that he received the tickets while in this city on business, will be sued by the city for judgment in the ticket case. A judgment against the alleged violator would entitle the city to have a body execution issued against Mrs. Rogers. The car which was ticketed is owned by Mrs. Rogers.

Mrs. Rogers is the first to fail to confess judgment in city court in the current drive of city officials to have delinquent parking tickets paid.


Redwood Scholastic Leaders

Redwood, April 1. (1939) -- Gordon Hastings, son of Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Hastings, Redwood, has been named valedictorian of the 1939 graduating class at the Redwood High school and Marian Stine, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Stine, Redwood, has been selected as salutatorian, it was recently announced.

Gordon Hastings has a scholastic record of 94.1, having majored in four departments, history, French, science and mathematics, and will have completed 18 units of work in June. He was awarded scholarship prizes in 1936-7-8. He has been active in many school activities other than scholarship. These include associate editorship of the Redwood “Racket,” debating, character parts in dramatics, Glee Club, basketball and baseball. For several years he has been active in the Boy Scouts and is now star scout and patrol leader.

Marian Stine has an average of 92.5, having majored in French, history and science, and minored in commerce and mathematics.

She also was awarded scholarship prizes in 1936-7-8, and the Study Club prize in 1937-8. Miss Stine has been president of her class for three years as well as president of the student council for two years. She acted as an associate editor of the Redwood “Racket,” received her letter in basketball for two years and has been active in dramatics, debating and Glee Club.

Guy Cole, son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Cole, Redwood, secretary-treasurer of the class for the past two years, has an average of 87.5. He has served as secretary of the student council one year, and as a reporter on the “Racket.” He has also been active in dramatics, glee club and debating. His majors are mathematics, science and history, his minors commerce and French.

Four other members of the graduating class have averages between 80 and 90. They are Daniel Evans, 85.9, Rosemary Dougherty, 84.7, Harold Ferguson, 82, and Raymond Reed, 80. Other members of the class are Helen Parrow, Audrey Keene and Ernest Helmer.




Lifelong Resident of the Town of Alexandria,
Mr. Northrup Had Been Town Clerk Two Years
-- Funeral Services Monday Afternoon.

Alexandria Bay, April 7. (1939) -- Ross J. Northrup, 64, town clerk and proprietor of the Northrup laundry the past 20 years, died of a heart attack at 2:30 this morning after three weeks’ illness.

Mr. Northrup was born at Barnes settlement Oct. 10, 1874, and had always resided in this township. Mr. Northrop (sic) was a cheesemaker before he purchased, with his brother, William, the local laundry, which he operated first with his brother and then with his nephew, Lloyd Northrup.

In the fall of 1937 Mr. Northrup was elected town clerk and served until three weeks ago when his illness forced him to give up the office.

Mr. Northrup is survived by his sister, Mrs. Robert Fitzsimmons of this village and several nieces and nephews.

Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Monday from the Dutch Reformed church, with Rev. Roger Williams, pastor of the local Methodist church, officiating. Burial will be in Barnes Settlement cemetery.




Daughter of Mrs. Nettie Kelsey Is Bride of Member of Theresa Plumbing Firm
-- She Is Graduate of Potsdam Normal and Nursing School.

Theresa, April 11. (1939) -- Miss Grace M. Kelsey, R. N., daughter of Mrs. Nettie Kelsey and the late C. H. Kelsey of this place, was married to Glenn A. Hinman, son of the late Mrs. May E. Turner, Friday afternoon at Wellsboro, Pa. Mr. and Mrs. Hinman returned here Saturday.

Mrs. Hinman is a graduate of the Theresa High school in 1926, and of the Potsdam Normal in 1929. She taught for one year, and in September, 1930, she entered Mercy hospital school of nursing at Watertown and was graduated in 1933. Since then she has been employed in private nursing and also in the Theresa Community hospital.

Mr. Hinman attended the Theresa High school and Diebert’s Business school at Philadelphia. For a number of years he was employed by the Standard Oil company in Syracuse and later at Ogdensburg and by the Crane company of Syracuse. He has been for a year a member of the plumbing firm of Hinman & Young of this village.



Return to Jefferson County NYGenWeb page

Return to Jefferson County Tidbits

Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project

If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.

Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page