|Town Historian||ROBERT BOUCHER||629-4914||PO Box 321, Evans Mills 13637|
|Town Clerk||MARY C. SMITH||629-4052||8433 Willow St; Evans Mills 13637|
|Black River Village Historian||WILLIAM REICHARD||773-5179||28411 NYS Rt 126 Black River 13612|
|Black River Village Clerk||KATHIE MONTIGELLI||773-5721||Village Office; PO Box 266; Black River 13612|
|Black River Free Library||SANDRA LAMB||773-5163||102 Maple St, Black River 13612|
|Evans Mills Public Library||HELEN TOOLEY||629-4483||Noble St; Evans Mills 13627|
|Evans Mills Village Clerk||MARILYN HANSON||629-4753||PO Box 356; Evans Mills 13627|
Organized in 1977, this society averages over 600 members, and has microfilmed the Carthage Republican newspaper. The microfilm is deposited in the Carthage Library. They have published books. Their holdings include a working chapel, and a one room school. Carthage lies on the border of Lewis County, so that the society covers part of Lewis as well as the western townships of Jefferson County. The society collects material from three central school districts, the Copenhagen Central, Carthage Central, and Indian River school districts. This area includes parts of the townships of Theresa, Philadelphia, Antwerp, Le Ray, Wilna, and Champion. Their 21 directors represent the various communities within this area.
A list of contributors to The History of Jefferson County 1878, by Durant and Pierce.
History of the Town of Leray from "RAY'S PLACE"from OUR COUNTY AND ITS PEOPLE by EDGAR C. EMERSON, 1898 History of the Town of Leray, taken fromA HISTORY OF JEFFERSON COUNTY IN THE STATE OF NEW YORK by FRANKLIN B. HOUGH, A. M., M.D. linked from Shirley Farone's Home Page
When Le Ray was originally established in 17 February 1806, parts of Alexandria and Wilna, and all of present Theresa, Antwerp and Philadelphia made up the town. This town is nearly in the middle of the county, and is surrounded by Theresa and Philadelphia on the northeast, Wilna and Champion on the southeast, Rutland and Watertown on the south, and Pamelia and Orleans on the west. Today nearly half of Le Ray, the southeast portion, lies within Fort Drum's military reservation. Black River forms its southern boundary, while Indian River and Pleasant Creek also flow through the town.
The Town of Antwerp was detached in 1810, part of Wilna in 1813, part of Alexandria, including Theresa and all of Philadelphia in 1821. Le Ray was named for the proprietor, James Le Ray de Chaumont. Many small communities were founded in Le Ray, some of which were swallowed up and extinguished by Fort Drum. As listed by historian Emerson, they included Le Raysville, Evans Mills, Slocumville, Sanford's Corners, Joachim, now an archaelogical site, Ingerson's Corners, Great Bend, named for the great bend of the Black River, Felts Mills, and Black River village.
From the 1864 Jefferson County Atlas: a summary of statistics for Leray ACRES OF LAND Improved 38,268 1/4 Unimproved 14,592 VALUATION Real Estate 667,208 Personal Property 129,173 Total 796,381 POPULATION Males 1,756 Females 1,627 Number of Dwellings 611 Number of Families 628 Freeholders 515 SCHOOLS Number of Districts 19 Children Taught 1,247 LIVE STOCK Horses 998 Working Oxen and Calves 1,528 Cows 3,258 Sheep 17,787 Swine 1,530 AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS Bushels of Grain Winter 11,999 Spring 87,962 3/4 Tons of Hay 6,242 Bushels of Potatoes 16,759 Bushels of Apples 7,322 Dairy Products Pounds of Butter 249,898 Pounds of Cheese 257,182 YARDS OF DOMESTIC MANUFACTURE 4,312
Names of the Early Settlers
|ADAMS, Sarah |
ANTHONY, Paul Jr.
ANTHONY, Paul Sr.
BELLINGER, ADAM P.
BELLINGER, FREDERICK H.
CALDWELL, DAVID M.
EVANS, Gen. Samuel
FAIRBANKS, William B. R.
HARRIS, Chloe (Sheldon)
HATCH, Rufus Sr.
HOOVER, Betsey C.
JEWETT, Capt Ezekiel
KANADY, SAMUEL C.
MURPHY, JAMES J.
PETRIE, JOSIAH J.
SHEW, Godfrey J.
SLOAN, STEPHEN D.
STEWART, JOHN V.
STEWART, PATRICK S.
WILBUR/WILBOR, Clark E.
WILSON, John Gregg
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact: Nancy DixonReturn to Jefferson County Genweb Page
Copyright 2009 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project