1. HENRY LEWIS was born 1757 at Petersburg, Rensselaer County NY. His great great grandfather was JOHN LEWIS, one of the original proprietors of Westerly R.I. His father Abraham was born at Westerly, R.I. Nov. 24,1724 and came to NYS.
Henry Lewis settled in North Wilna, Jefferson County NY in 1800. There he built a log house for his family. Henry's first wife POLLY JACKSON and five of their children were born in Rensselaer County. Three more children were born in Wilna, one being the first white child born within the present limits of the town. Polly (Jackson) Lewis died in 1807. HENRY LEWIS subsequently married three times, but no record is found of the 2nd and 3rd marriages.
He moved to Cattaraugus county NY. The 4th wife was MARY McMILLEN who died in 1836. They had 2 children. HENRY LEWIS died in 1836 near LaGrange, Ohio, where he lived with his eldest and third son.
HENRY LEWIS married (1)
POLLY JACKSON was born in Rensselaer County, NY c1769, and died in 1807 at the age of 38 yrs.
Children of HENRY & POLLY (JACKSON) LEWIS, all born in Jefferson county:
2 i EPHRAIM LEWIS, born April 9,1786, lived in Ohio
3 ii BETSY LEWIS, born March 22, 1789; married Oct 10, 1808 JOHN C. FOSTER of Antwerp.
4 iii STEPHEN LEWIS, born May 14, 1792, m SOPHIA ROSS
5 iv HENRY LEWIS, born June 1, 1793, went to Ohio
6 v POLLY LEWIS, born Nov. 5, 1795, married GEORGE W. BINGHAM, Nov. 27,1816 Lived and died in Wilna NY.
7 vi MARTHA LEWIS, born1802, married JOHN CHELLIS of WATERTOWN and died one year later.
8 vii GRANSON LEWIS, born May 22, 1805.
9 viii RODOLPHUS JACKSON LEWIS March 22, 1807, was an infant when his mother died and was reared by his eldest sister in Antwerp. He settled at Oswego, NY where he died.
4. STEPHEN LEWIS, son of HENRY & POLLY (JACKSON) LEWIS, stayed in Wilna all his life. He died Nov. 21 1854. He inherited land, to which he added by purchase to a total of 300 acres. He was a captain of the local militia and a prominent citizen of the town, and also postmaster.
He married Oct.26, 1817
SOPHIA ROSS, who was born April 21 1794
Children of STEPHEN & SOPHIA (ROSS) LEWIS:
10 i AMANDA LEWIS, died before age 1 yr.
11 ii SANFORD LEWIS, born Nov. 24 1820; d May 19 1892. He lived and died in Wilna; was postmaster over 40 years. 1st married Feb. 11 1846 to ABIGAIL KIMBALL, b July 24 1822, d Mar. 5 1867. Married (2) Feb. 24 1870 AUDREY CAROLINE BIGELOW b June 24 1831.
12 iii CHARLES LEWIS died before the age of 1 yr.
13 iv SILVIUS LEWIS, b Aug 18 1825, d April 2 1878 in Wilna
14 v MYRON LEWIS, b March 22 or 25, 1828 (headstone Apr.18 1829) d March 2, 1892
14. MYRON LEWIS, son of STEPHEN & SOPHIA (ROSS) LEWIS was born March 22 or 25, 1828 (headstone Apr.18 1829) and died March 2, 1892.
He married Nov.12,1846
MARY FRANCIS DEWOLF, who was born Aug 14, 1828 and Dec. 5 1886 (found different date for birth on headstone: Sept 3, 1828).
Children of MYRON and MARY FRANCIS (DEWOLF) LEWIS:
15 i JULIA LEWIS
16 ii AMENLIA LEWIS
17 iii AUGUSTUS PLATT LEWIS
18 vi ADALAIDE LEWIS
19 v CORNELIA CAROLINE LEWIS
20 vi MYRON LEWIS
21 vii SOPHIA LEWIS
22 viii SANFORD LEWIS
23 ix FLORENCE AGNES LEWIS
24 x FRANK ELMER LEWIS
25 xi ALICE LUELLA LEWIS
26 xii LILLIAN LEWIS
23. FRANK ELMER LEWIS, son of MYRON and MARY FRANCIS (DEWOLF) LEWIS was born July 13 1864 and died Feb. 18 1938
He married Jan. 18 1888
MATTIE ELIZA CARNCROSE. They had 3 children, 2 boys who died before age 1 year and a daughter.
Child, one known, LEWIS:
27 i ETHEL JULIA LEWIS b 1903; d 1963.
1. HENRY LEWIS, the progenitor, married (4)
28 i SARAH, she must have died young,
29 ii MORTIMER born June 13, 1819 died July 10,1895 near Weston, Ohio.
This pioneer has lost his contact information. If anyone recognizes him, please notify