WILLIAM McCUE was a Loyalist during the Revolutionary War, a member of the King's Royal Regiment of New York. After the War, he lived in Escott, Ontario, Canada and petitioned to the Canadian government for a grant of land. William and Catherine were on the 1797 Canadian census of Yonge. From the listing of sons and daughters of Loyalists, by Reid, we know their children.
CATHERINE PATTISON, b c1763 and died in Alexandria Bay on 12 April 1847. She also petitioned for land in 1833.
CHILDREN of WILLIAM McCUE & CATHERINE PATTISON
2. MAHALA McCUE, daughter of WILLIAM McCUE & CATHERINE PATTISON married on 5 March 1811 ELIJAH WELLER bc 1784. He was the son of COOLEY and ABIGAIL WELLER. ELIJAH WELLER lived next door to WILLIAM McCUE in the 1810 census of Leeds, Ontario, CA.
Children of MAHALA McCUE and ELIJAH WELLER:
3. JOHN McCUE, son of WILLIAM McCUE & CATHERINE PATTISON was born about 1791 in Canada and married NANCY (---) who was born about 1811 and died Dec. 1859 in Alexandria Bay, NY.
Children of JOHN McCUE and NANCY (---):
4. ABRAHAM McCUE son of WILLIAM McCUE & CATHERINE PATTISON was born about 1794 in Canada and died in 1869 at 75 years in Alexandria Bay, NY. He married HARRIET BOWLES, who was born 1812 in England and died 1873 at 61 years at Plessis. ABRAHAM was in the War of 1812 and taken prisoner, probably by the Americans, and managed to gain his freedom.
Children of ABRAHAM McCUE and HARRIET:
5. PETER McCUE, son of WILLIAM McCUE & CATHERINE PATTISON was born c1798 in New York. He was a farmer in Alexandria Township and died 4 May 1885 at age 86 years, 70 months and 10 days.
LUCY HOADLEY, who was born 1804, daughter of HENRY and LOVINA HOADLEY. She died 2 July 1894 at 90 years at Alexandria Bay.
Children of PETER McCUE and LUCY HOADLEY:
11. WILLIAM T. McCUE, son of JOHN McCUE and NANCY (---) was born c1827, died 1897 at 70 yrs. and buried in Walton St. Cem., Alexandria BayHe married 3 Dec 1852 CORNELIA COLLINS, daughter of JOSEPH COLLINS and MARY M. EDDY of Collins Landing, Town of Orleans. She was born 4 Aug 1831 in Town of Orleans, and died 1885 at 54 years 4 months; buried in Walton St. Cem., Alexandria Bay.
Children of WILLIAM T. McCUE and CORNELIA COLLINS:
18. ABRAM McCUE, son of ABRAHAM McCUE and HARRIET (---) was born 1849
He married HARRIET ANDERSON
Children of ABRAM McCUE and HARRIET ANDERSON:
28. HARRIET A. McCUE, daughter of WILLIAM T. McCUE and CORNELIA COLLINS was born 17 May 1856 and died 6 Mar 1927. She is buried in the Walton St. Cemetery, Alexandria Bay.
She married DEWITT GRINELL
Children of HARRIET A. McCUE and DEWITT GRINELL:
32 i EDNA LaFAVE GRINELL born Canada 1879 d 7 Mar 1955
33 ii child born July 1875; died July 1875
34 iii child born 19 Mar 1877 died Mar 1877
35 iv WILLIAM E. GRINNELL born 14 Apr 1881 died 14 Sept 1881
36 v EDNA GRINNELL b 8 Nov 1875
Sources: Larry Williams; Marg Hunter; Peter Rogers; Canadian Archives; Reid's Sons and Daughters; VIR Canada, NY; tombstone records of Canada and NY; Dutch Reformed Church records; Canadian and NY census records, Josephine Collins Fredenburg's Collins Genealogy
Under children of William McCue and Catherine Pattison, No. 3ii – JOHN McCUE
John McCue arrived in Alexandria Bay in 1837 and was naturalized 21 October 1863. In about 1867 he moved to Robinson, Ottawa Co., Michigan where he died on 23 May 1869. His wife, Nancy, was born about 1801 per the census records and died in January 1859 in Alexandria at 48 years, which does not agree with the census records. In addition to their son, William T. McCue, was another son:
JOHN N. McCUE, who was born about 1837 and died 15 December 1893 in Robinson.
Sources: Census records for Canada and Jefferson Co., NY; Naturalization record; death records for Ottawa Co., Michigan and newspaper death record for Nancy.
UPDATE FOR HIRAM McCUE (same page as above)--listed under Peter McCue and Catherine Pattison, as their son:
HIRAM McCUE was born 1 January 1830 and died 30 April 1903 in Traverse City, Grand Traverse Co., Michigan. He and Mariette, his first wife, were the parents of 12 children, and she died in 1878. She was the daughter of ROSWELL HOUGHTON and PERSIS PARKER of Vermont.
Known children of Hiram and Mariette Houghton McCue:
1. MARTHA J. McCue
2. SARAH A. McCUE
3. CHARLES ALBY McCUE
4. ELIZABETH McCUE
5. LILY McCUE BRISBIN
6. ALTHA McCUE
7. ABRAHAM H. McCUE born 26 Sept. 1850, Jeff. Co., NY
Descendants state that after Mariette died, Hiram married for his second wife, SARAH JANE DRAGGOO BRITTON who was born in 1841 and died in 1924. When they married, Sarah was a widow with five grown children.
For more information contact msapienza
For more information on the Collins family contact Nan Dixon
Additional information provided by S. Bailey, descendant of Minerva McCue and Henry Spicer.
Return to Town of Alexandria
Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page