1. JOSEPH4 MCKEE, JR. (JOSEPH3, ANDREW2, NATHANIEL1) was born to Joseph and Ruth (Webster) McKee on 20 September 1758 in Hartford, Hartford, CT and was baptized on 29 October 1758. He was living in Middlebury, VT in 1787 and in 1788 in Weybridge, VT, both in Addison County. He moved to McKee's Landing in the Town of Ellisburg in 1806 on a place later occupied by his daughter, Betsey Woodworth. He was a farmer by occupation . He is enumerated in the 1820 U.S. Federal Census in Ellisburg, Jefferson, NY as found on Microfilm Series: M33, Roll: 72, Page: 213. He died 20 November 1829 at 72 years 2 months in Ellisburg, Jefferson, NY and is buried in the Ellisburg Village Cemetery. His grave is marked with the SAR emblem according to an Internet search at http://www.rootsweb.com/~nyjeffer/warrior.htm A BICENTENNIAL TRIBUTE TO VETERANS OF 1776.
Joseph married (1) IRENE MARSH on 26 February 1784 in Hartford County, CT and bore him one son and six daughters. She was the daughter of DANIEL MARSH and ANNA MORISON. She was born 20 March 1765 in East Hartford, Hartford, CT, and died 25 August 1828 in Ellisburg, Jefferson, NY at 62 years and 5 months.
1) Horace - b 04 Dec 1784 in East Hartford, Hartford, CT, m Clarissa King on 09 February 1808 in Paris, Oneida, NY, d 1 September 1828 in Ellisburgh, Jefferson, NY and is buried in Ellisburg Village Cemetery.
2) Laura - b 08 May 1787 in Middlebury Township, Addison, VT, m (1) Avery Brown on 11 July 1813 at Sandy Creek, Oswego, NY, and (2) John Otis on 03 February 1805, d 24 May 1873 at Sandy Creek, Jefferson, NY and is buried in Ellisburg Village Cemetery.
3) Mary - b 20 January 1789 in Woodville, Jefferson, NY, m Abiah Jenkins, Jr. on 29 August 1809, d 20 January 1875 in Ellisburg, Jefferson, NY and is buried Woodville Cemetery.
4) Betsey - b 01 November 1792, m (1) William Woodward on 10 January 1813 and had one son and three daughters, Almira (Mrs.Mason Rounds), of Mannsville; Abbie (Mrs. Daniel Barker), also of Mannsville; Mary A., of Ellisburgh; and Henry W., and (2) Tyler Woodworth on 12 February 1833, d 17 November 1889, buried in Ellisburg Village Cemetery.
5) Almira - b 25 April 1797 in Frankfort, Herkimer, NY, m Zera Todd on 24 December 1815 in Ellisburg, Jefferson, NY, moved to Oswego, NY.
6) Nancy - b 08 April 1799 in Ellisburgh, Jefferson, NY m (1) Daniel Frazier on 04 August 1817, and (2) George Brooks on 12 August 1823, d 12 Oct 1866 in Madoc, Hastings, Ontario, Canada.
7) Harriet - b 18 April 1806, m Abram Ward on 18 February 1827 and had three sons--John, Joseph, and Horace, d 8 April 1894 in Ellisburgh, Jefferson, NY and is buried in Ellisburg Village Cemetery.
Submitted by 4th great granddaughter Carol Rooksby Weidlich, firstname.lastname@example.org.
June 10, 2007
Received 11 July 2016 from Carol Rooksby Weidlich, North Fort Myers, FL.
Through continued research, I’m not comfortable to say that the family Bible is correct in saying she was born in Ellisburg, New York. Rather, I believe it was in the Town of Fulton, New York where her father Joseph served as Supervisor of the Town of Fulton for the years 1798 to 1801.
If you could add this b 08 April 1799 in ( Fulton, Herkimer, New York ) I’d feel better until I can confirm this.
For further information, contact:
Carol Rooksby Weidlich
Return to Town of Ellisburg
Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page