ZEBULON BASS was born 19 Jun 1781 Saratoga Co NY and died 1832 age 51 of cholera on Grindstone Island, Jefferson Co NY. In 1820 he located in Clayton, on Grindstone Island. He married SALLY ANN SMITH in Saratoga Co. NY. SALLY ANN was born 1785, daughter of EPHRAIM SMITH and DEBORAH SANFORD of Mayfield, NY and died in 1868 at 81 years 6 months 6 days. She married ZEBULON about 1810. SALLY ANN'S parents are very likely EPHRAIM SMITH who was born 5 Sept 1762 at Lyme CT and died 21 Aug 1837 at 75 yrs. in LeRay, Jefferson Co., NY. He married on 13 Jan 1785 at Saybrook CT DEBORAH SANFORD of Saybrook. She was born 1 Oct. 1758 and died 17 Feb 1843 at 83 years 5 months 17 days in the town of LeRay, Jefferson Co., NY. EPHRAIM was a Revolutionary War soldier and in his petition for a pension he stated that he had lived in Saratoga NY for 34 years and in 1833 he had lived in LeRay for seven years. EPHRAIM and DEBORAH SMITH are buried in the Evans Mills Cemetery, Jefferson Co., NY.
According to a biographical notice in Hamilton County, NY, ZEBULON BASS was the son of JEREMIAH BASS and HANNAH WHITNEY. The notice shows the following children born to JEREMIAH and HANNAH BASS:
1) JEREMIAH BASS b 6 July 1768 and died 13 June 1832 Northampton, Fulton Co. NY; farmer; married ELIZABETH BENTLEY who was born 13 July 1772; they settled in Northville in Northampton, NY where JEREMIAH died and ELIZABETH died 17 Aug 1838.
2) ZADOK BASS lived Northampton NY until 1805 and then settled in the east part of the town of Hope, NY where he died . He was born 1770 and died 10 April 1844 age 74. He married SALLY GROW. ZADOK is buried in the Hope Falls Cem. at Hamilton Co NY. Wife SALLY GROW BASS died 4 July 1855 and is also buried in the Hope Falls Cemetery.
3) ZEBULON BASS b 1781 lived in Northampton NY and settled near Watertown NY where he died in 1832. (See his family below)
4)HANNAH BASS was b 23 April 1762; lived in Norwalk CT; married 18 Nov 1784 to REUBEN OLMSTEAD; he born 22 July 1763 in Norwalk.
Children of ZEBULON BASS and SALLY ANN SMITH:
1)JOHN M. BASS b 7 Feb 1827 d 7 Aug 1890; married CATHERINE TIERNAN who was bc 1831 NY and d 26 Jan 1894 at 63 y 10 m 25 d. She was probably the daughter of THOMAS TIERNAN who died at Clayton in 1886 at age 90 and his wife, MARY RATCHFORD, bc 1800. They were from Ireland and lived in Clayton, Jefferson Co. NY and in St. Lawrence County.
Children of JOHN M. and CATHERINE BASS:
a) MARY E. BASS
b )JANE BASS
c) JULIA BASS
d) LUELLA BASS m 9 Mar 1886 to WINSLOW SPENCER at Clayton; she was 24 and he was 33, son of SOLOMON SPENCER and MARY FRYE.
e )JENNIE R. BASS b 1855 d 12 Apr 1937
2) JULIA A. BASS bc 1820 Jefferson Co NY; died after 1880 Oregon; married DAVID LIVINGSTON, who was born about 1809 in NY.; moved to Racine WI about 1840; then Minnesota and Kansas; settled Josephine Co, OR.
Children of JULIA A. BASS and DAVID LIVINGSTON:
a) JERUSHA LIVINGSTON bc 1838 NY
b) JOHN LIVINGSTON bc 1839 NY
c) ALEXANDER LIVINGSTON bc 1841 WI
d) SILAS LIVINGSTON bc 1844 WI d 1915 Albany, Linn Co Oregon; married Amy Gould b 1847; married 1867 in Eden Prairie MN
e) JASPER LIVINGSTON b 1847 WI
f) CHARLES M. LIVINGSTON bc 1853 WI
g) GEORGE S. LIVINGSTON bc 1859 MN
3) OLIVE BASS died 12 Mar 1886 at 79 yrs 5 mos 25 d; married ALEXANDER LIVINGSTON, son of JOHN LIVINGSTON and TABITHA HASKINS. Lived Grindstone Island.
4) CHAUNCEY BASS b 22 Feb 1815 Jefferson Co died 1837 at 22 years at Thurso, Grindstone Island.
5) CHARLES M. BASS b 1818 CA; married MARIA MORSE c 1843; lived Clayton Twp., Jefferson Co. CHARLES died 29 Dec 1906 at age 89 years. MARIA died 20 Dec 1899 at 75 years.
Children of CHARLES M. and MARIA MORSE BASS:
a) JOSEPHINE BASS married in Clayton NY PETER MAYER on 16 Nov 1898; he was 52 and son of JOSEPH MAYER and MARSHA YOTT. JOSEPHINE at 55 yrs had surname MATTESON. She was of Deland S.D., and born Pillar Point, NY.
b) OLIVE BASS
c) MARY BASS
d) ORELIA BASS
e) CECILIA M. BASS died 23 May 1899 at 44 years; wife of GEORGE CUMMINGS (1847-1929)
f) LINCOLN BASS
g) CYRUS A. BASS born 22 Feb 1867 died 2 Nov 1953 at Cape Vincent married ROSE DOCTEUR, daughter of MARTIN and JULIEA DeLaPLACE DOCTEUR. She was born 1871 and died 1907.
6) ALANSON BASS bc 1806 Gananoque CA; died 6 May 1842 Clayton; married JULIA ANN PHILLIPS, daughter of JOHN and MARTHA (BARKHART) PHILLIPS of Massena NY. He was a steamboat captain.
Children of ALANSON BASS and JULIA A. PHILLIPS:
a) EDWARD L. BASS, b Clayton 27 Jan 1833; married MARGARET J. SMITH of Dixon's Landing, Canada, daughter of JOHN and CSTHARINE (EMPY) SMITH.
Children of EDWARD L. BASS and MARGARET J. SMITH:
1) ALICE BASS
2) CHARLES BASS
3) IDA BASS
4) LILLY BASS
5) EDWARD BASS
6) WILLY BASS
b) CAROLINE BASS
c) JOHN BASS
d) CHAUNCY BASS
e) CHARLES P. BASS, age 25, of Wolfe Island, Clayton NY, on 14 No 1863 married FRANCES H. GHEE, age 18, daughter of MERITT and MARY (GRIMSHAW) GHEE of Marysville.
Children of CHARLES P. BASS and FRANCES GHEE:
1) CHARLES A. BASS.
7) MAJOR BASS bapt 12 Jan 1819 Gananoque Ontario CA
8) EPHRAIM BASS bapt 7 Jul 1819 Clayton Jefferson Co. died in the army.
9) WILLIAM BASS b 7 May 1824 Jefferson Co NY; d 8 April 1910; married SARAH M. WHITNEY bc 1830 and died 30 Dec 1901 at 71 yrs 14 days at Cape Vincent. She was the daughter of DANIEL and ARVILLA (MARSH) WHITNEY of Brownville; they lived in Clayton, Jefferson Co., NY.
Children of WILLIAM BASS and SARAH WHITNEY:
a) RHOBA ARVILLA BASS married MELVIN J. DODGE on 2 Jan 1882 at Clayton, NY. MELVIN was b 14 Mar 1856 in Clayton and died 17 May 1940 Depauville. RHOBA was b 27 July 1859 and died 28 Nov 1935 Pillar Pt.
Children of RHOBA BASS and MELVIN I. DODGE:
1) EMMA DODGE
2) EMMET CLAUDE DODGE
3) WINNIE ARVILLA DODGE
4) ORA LUCINDA DODGE
5) ERWIN MELVIN DODGE
6) EDNA JEANETTE DODGE
7) NEIL F. DODGE
8) FRANCIS WILLIAM DODGE, Dr.
9) RUBY S. DODGE
10) JERALD P. DODGE
11) FORD ELMER DODGE
b) MARTHA A. BASS was born 12 July 1862 NY; married on 9 Aug 1882 EUGENE S. GARNSEY b 15 Sept 1853 NY at Three Mile Bay. MARTHA died 15 Feb 1937 at 74 yrs.
Children of MARTHA A. BASS and EUGENE GARNSEY:
1) JESSIE GARNSEY b 1881; died 1881
2) JESSIE S. GARNSEY b 23 Oct 1884 Clayton; died Watertown; married on 25 Dec 1917 JACOB WILLIAM SCHNAUBER
3) ROSE GARNSEY b Dec 1891; died 15 Jan 1957; married CLARENCE D. DWYER on 18 Sept 1912
4) FLORENCE GARNSEY b 6 June 1896 Clayton NY; d 3 May 1986 Cape Vincent; married 1 Feb 1913 to HENRY H. COMINS at Depauville, NY
5) HARRY GARNSEY b Oct 1899; died 30 Oct 1960; married GRACE G. PHILLIPS on 25 July 1931 in Clayton. Lived Rochester NY
6) ERNEST GARNSEY bc 1891 d 17 Nov 1897 Town of Clayton
c) HATTIE A. BASS, died 22 Apr 1886 at 17 y 7 m 6 d; married (---) MARSHALL
d) CALVIN W. BASS died 14 Sept 1858 age 3 yrs
10) SALLY A. BASS b Dec 1827 Clayton, Jefferson Co.
THOMAS STICKNEY was born 17 May 1799, a native of Groton, NH. As a young man he came to Jefferson County and lived at Alexandria and Sackett's Harbor. He married 16 March 1828 MARY HARDY who was born in 1805, daughter of GIDEON HARDY. THOMAS died in 1887.
Children of THOMAS STICKNEY and MARY HARDY:
1) BARNET W. STICKNEY b 20 Jan 1829 d 16 Oct 1856
2)ABIGAIL H. STICKNEY b 31 Dec 1831; married 1851 JOHN KEECH. JOHN KEECH was born 1827 in Clayton, Jefferson Co NY, son of ANDREW KEECH b 1798 NY, d 1886 Clayton NY, and HANNAH. JOHN KEECH died 24 Apr 1889 at 62 yrs. ABIGAIL died 1914. JOHN'S obituary notes that he lived the last forty years of his life in Omar and Fisher's Landing. He was a carpenter and joiner by trade. However, 13 years before his death he was injured at a pole raising on the Isle of Pines and had been in poor health since that time. The couple had five sons and two daughters.
Children of ABIGAIL STICKNEY and JOHN KEECH:
a) ABBY E. KEECH b 2 Dec 1864 d 7 Nov 1953
b) ALPHEUS W. KEECH b Nov 1855 d 1926
c) JOHN H. KEECH b 12 Oct 1867 d 2 Apr 1956
d) MARY E. KEECH b 7 June 1872 d 25 Jul 1964
e) BARNETT E. KEECH b Dec 1857
f) ELBRIDGE W. KEECH b May 1860
g) CHARLES KEECH b July 1863
3) HATTIE E. STICKNEY b 26 Dec 1832; lived Sackett's Harbor; married CHARLES A. BENJAMIN of Adams, NY
4) SARAH JANE STICKNEY b 8 Feb 1834; died 1837
5) MARY A. STICKNEY b 7 Jan 1837 m ALVARO D. HOLLOWAY probably in 1857; she was his first wife and died 10 Sep 1884. ALVARO was born in 1835 and died in 1913. He married 2) on 15 May 1889 when he was 51 to MARTHA A. REED, age 39. ALVARO was the son of WILLIAM HOLLOWAY and POLLY DEWEY. MARTHA REED was the daughter of SPENCER REED and FLORINDA SHELDON.
Children of MARY L. STICKNEY and ALVRO HOLLOWAY:
a) ELROY C. HOLLOWAY b 1868 died 31 Mar 1899
b) WILLIAM J. HOLLOWAY b 1863 d 25 July 1866 at 1 year 4 mos 21 days
c) ROLAND F. HOLLOWAY
6) LOIS E. STICKNEY b 10 April 1839 m. DANIEL W. HOLLOWAY about 1858
Children of LOIS E. STICKNEY and DANIEL HOLLOWAY:
a) DELFRED H. HOLLOWAY b 1860
b) LUCY MAY HOLLOWAY b 1862
7) HANNAH AMELIA STICKNEY b 13 June 1841 d 1847
GIDEON HARDYof New Hampshire was born 9 Sept 1779 in Wilmington MA, son of DAVID HARDY (b 7 Sept 1746 MA) m (1) HANNA WORCESTER on 18 May 1775 and (2) BATHSHEBA BARKER. GIDEON married ABAGAIL BURNHAM on 28 Jan 1808 in Hancock, New Hampshire. ABAGAIL died 14 Nov 1861 at 75 y 10m and is buried in Brownville, Jefferson Co. GIDEON died 17 July 1851 at 71 years and is also buried in the Brownville Cemetery. GIDEON was a carpenter at Brownville.
Children of GIDEON HARDY and ABAGAIL:
1) RHUANNA B. HARDY bc 1812 d 1 Apr 1894 at 82 yrs 3 m 4 d died under name of PARKER
2) MARY HARDY b 1805 married THOMAS STICKNEY (See Stickney Family this site)
3) CYNTHIA HARDY bc 1825
4) LOUISA HARDY bc 1822
5) LYDNEY bc 1826
PHINEAS HARDY Sr was born 23 Jan 1795 in Dublin, NH, son of THOMAS HARDY (b June 1756 HOLLIS NH) and LUCY COLBURN of HOLLIS NH. THOMAS HARDY was a Revolutionary War Patriot. PHINEAS died in 1878; buried Calcium Cemetery, Jefferson Co., NY. His wife, SARAH HOWLAND, was born 1 April 1797 in Saratoga Co NY , daughter of RICHMOND HOWLAND, and died 13 Jan 1887 at Black River; she is also buried in Calcium. They were married 24 March 1822. PHINEAS, DAVID and CLARENCE G. HARDY all served as postmasters at Calcium, NY. CLARENCE G., DAVID, DEXTER A. and PHINEAS
were also farmers. PHINEAS HARDY (1795) came to Jefferson County NY when he was 19 and worked on a farm for four years. With his brother, ROBERT, he purchased a farm in Rutland, NY
Children of PHINEAS HARDY and SARAH HOWLAND:
1) PHINEAS HARDY Jr was born 21 Feb 1838 in LeRay and died 24 July 1895 at 57 years 5 months 9 days; wife EUNETIA N. died 16 July 1920 at 77 years 10 months 19 days and is buried in Calcium. In 1866 he purchased the Ezra Wiley farm at Sanford's Corners. He married 5 April 1866 to EUNETIA N. EARL, daughter of GEORGE R. and MARY ANN EARL. EUNETIA N. EARL was born 27 Aug. 1842.
Children of PHINEAS HARDY Jr. and EUNETIA N. EARL:
a) GEORGE LEON HARDY b 25 June 1869 married ETTA M. BALL* on 21 Jan 1890. ETTA MAY was born 24 Feb 1870 in Watertown
b) MARY G. HARDY b 19 Aug 1871 married WILL B. BALL* on 25 Nov 1891. WILL BALLARD BALL was born 20 Sept 1867 in Watertown. *Both BALLS were children of NATHAN BALL and ADELINE SICKLER.
2) LUCY HARDY born 1 April 1831 died 1839 buried Calcium
3) DAVID HARDY born 19 Nov 1823 and died 2 Nov 1889 buried Calcium; wife ANN SLACK born 1826 died 1880; both buried Calcium
Children of DAVID HARDY and ANN:
a) CLARENCE G. HARDY b 1866 died 1949 buried Calcium; married ALICE M. WAREING 1914
b) DEXTER HARDY b 1863 d 1892
c) GEORGE L. HARDY b 1869 died 1956 buried Calcium; married (1) JENNIE C. b 1875 d 1901; married (2) JENNIA A. b 1867 died 1911
d) MARTHA M. HARDY b 1861 died 1893 buried Calcium
4) ELIAS HARDY born 16 Nov 1826; farmer in Throop, Cayuga Co.
5) MARIA HARDY b 11 Dec 1828 in Rutland; married SIMEON DEXTER 10 Dec 1851. He was born 30 Aug 1822 in Orange, son of BENJAMIN DEXTER and his fourth wife, FRANCES TUTTLE. SIMEON DEXTER died 13 Aug 1898.
ROBERT HARDY was born 23 March 1789 in Dublin NH, the son of THOMAS HARDY and LUCY COLBURN and came to Jefferson Co. about 1811. ROBERT married ABIGAIL STONE in NH in 1815 on a return trip from Jefferson County. They settled initially in Rutland, Jefferson County. ABIGAIL was born 15 Nov 1793 in Dublin NH and died 4 Feb 1869 at 75 yrs. ROBERT died 30 Nov 1860 at 71 yrs, a veteran of the War of 1812. Robert was a carpenter.
Children of ROBERT HARDY and ABIGAIL STONE:
1) GUSTAVUS HARDY born 3 Aug 1823 in Rutland. At 41 years he enlisted on 26 Aug 1864 in the Civil War and was discharged 23 June 1865. He died in March 1918 at 94 years. He married in 1862 EMILY C. GIBBS, daughter of BENJAMIN GIBBS. EMILY C. GIBBS died in 1897.
Children of GUSTAVUS HARDY and EMILY GIBBS:
a) CHARLES S. HARDY
b) BENJAMIN R. HARDY
c) Mrs. CORNELIA MILLER
2) JOHN C. HARDY died 1916 at 81 years
3) ROBERT C. HARDY died 1915 at 94 years; born 1 Oct 1820
4) ARTHUR L. HARDY died 27 Oct 1842 at 7 yrs 9 mos
5) LOVILLA S. HARDY born 25 June 1817; married JAMES HUNT of Champion. She died 29 May 1868 at 50 yrs.
6) THOMAS HARDY born 7 Nov 1815 in Watertown; died 24 Sept 1841 at 25 years 10 months
7) ABBY HARDY b 16 Feb 1819 in Rutland; married DANIEL PATTONof Lowville NY; d 28 Feb 1847
8) LUCY ANN HARDY b 19 Nov 1825; married SAMUEL FRINK
9)WILLIAM ADDISON HARDY b 29 Dec 1827; married SARAH JANE WARNER Warner. He died 20 March 1895 in Rockford, IL
10) CHARLES C. HARDY b 31 Mar 1830 and died 6 Dec 1901 in Rutland; lived at home until he was 19 and subsequently learned the carpenter trade, which was also the occupation of his father, ROBERT. CHARLES studied architecture with Otis L. Wheelock and in January 1853 took the Nicaragua route to California on the steamship "Independence", which was wrecked and burned near St. Margarite Island. CHARLES was one of the 150 lives that were spared and he arrived in California by the whaling ship "Meteor" which had taken the survivors off the barren island. CHARLES first attempted mining and not successful. He went into the carpenter business at the mining town of French Gulch. He became a master mechanic and builder for the US Government at Fort Walla Walla until his return to Jefferson County in 1859. After the death of ROBERT, CHARLES bought the home farm and produced dairy products, maple syrup and sugar. CHARLES married on 1 Jan 1861 EMILY CAROLINE SCOTT, daughter of STEPHEN and MARY B. SCOTT. She was born 8 Aug 1837 in Antwerp, NY.
11) JOHN CALVIN HARDY b 7 April 1833; married 25 Dec 1860 JULIA SCOTT born 27 May 1839.
12)ARTHUR L. HARDY b 22 Jan 1835 d 1842.
ERASTUS HARDY was born in Otsego Co NY on 31 Oct. 1815 and died Aug 1892 at 77 years. He was reared in the town of Orleans. He married and moved to Alexandria, Jefferson Co. and located on a farm later occupied by his son, CHARLES J. HARDY. On 31 Oct 1838 at age 23, ERASTUS rastus married (1) JANE
WILEY who died in 1846. He married 2) in 1848 to CATHERINE SHEELEY VAN BROCKLIN, daughter of JOHN SHEELEY of Tanner's Corners. CATHERINE died 16 June 1886 at 66 years 2 months.
Children of ERASTUS HARDY and JANE WILEY:
1) SUSANN HARDY
2) SYLVESTER HARDY b 1846 d 1914 married Aug 1871 MARY SWEET (b 1 Oct 1851 d 14 Apr 1932)
Children of ERASTUS HARDY and CATHERINE SHEELEY VAN BROCKLIN:
3) JANE HARDY (b 12 June 1850 d 1918 ) married ASA CASLER (1839-1916) of Stone Mills
4) VSLERIE E. HARDY (1855-1931) married as his second wife to ELIAS WALTER (1840-1922) of Theresa
5) CHARLES J. HARDY b 1 Oct 1857 d 23 Mar 1934 attended schools in the town of Alexandria, NY. On 2 Aug 1891 he married LINA L. Van AMBER, born 24 July 1860 in St. Lawrence Co NY, daughter of WALLACE and MARYETT Van AMBERmber. Lina died 23 Mar 1928 at Plessis NY. WALLACE Van AMBER, her father, was a miller by occupation.
Children of CHARLES J. HARDY and LENA Van AMBER:
a) GLADYS KATHLEEN HARDY b 22 March 1899
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page
Copyright 2010 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page