Children of William Howland and Mary Richmond:
1) RICHMOND HOWLAND was born 2 January 1772 in Gloucester, RI ; moved to Providence RI and then to Jefferson County in 1804. He cleared a tract of land which he sold and took another farm near Felt's Mills. He was a soldier in the War of 1812 and at the Battle of Sackett's Harbor. He married on 3 Mar 1795 in Providence RI to Racheal King, born 25 Jan 1769, daughter of James and Phebe (Allen)King. James King died in Pamelia NY. Rachael died at 86 years on 10 Dec 1855, a member of the Society of Friends. Richmond Howland died 5 July 1862 at 90 yrs 6 mos.
Children of RICHMOND HOWLAND and RACHAEL KING:
a) Oziel b 1799 d 1875; married Cynthia ___ she died 13 Mar 1859 at 59 y 7m 8 days
Children of OZIEL HOWLAND and CYNTHIA (---):
1) Angeline HOWLAND b 1841
2) Cornelia HOWLAND b 18313) Eugene HOWLAND b 1827 - a teacher
4) Hortensia HOWLAND b 1838
5) Jeptha HOWLAND b 1836
6) Jerome HOWLAND b 1834
b) Sarah HOWLAND b 1 April 1797 Saratoga; married 24 March 1822 PHINEAS HARDY (see Phineas Hardy on this site for children)
c) Richmond HOWLAND b 3 Sept 1803; died 1892; married 1846 HARRIET EGGLESTON. She b 12 Mar 1814; died 25 April 1896
d) James HOWLAND
e) Hiram HOWLAND b 1801 died 1882; married Eunice R.___she b 1831 and died 1903
f) William HOWLAND was born 22 April 1809 in Rutland; in 1868 he purchased a farm near Pamelia. He died 29 April 1901 at his home near Black River. He married in 5 Mar 1845 to Eunice P. Eddy, who was born 1820 in Rutland, daughter of James Eddy (b 1780) in RI and settled in Rutland. Eunice died 10 October 1898, a Universalist. William died at 92 years.
JAMES EDDY, son of ENOCH EDDY, was a native of RI, born 1750 who moved to Rutland in 1801. The wife of James Eddy was CYNTHIA PHILBROOKS, born 1795.
Children of WILLIAM HOWLAND and EUNICE EDDY:
1) Cyrus Howard HOWLAND b 21 Jul 1849 Rutland; died age 37; married Kate Mellon. Kate died 15 April 1882 at 29 years; Cyrus died 15 Aug 1886 at 37 years
2) Walter HOWLANDb 31 May 1858 Rutland; d 13 Jan 1944 Evans Mills; a prominent farmer of LeRay. Married Elva Hungerford b 1860 d 1949
3) Fred HOWLAND was born 28 March 1862 in Rutland; at 21 he went to Pierre SD and then returned to Rutland. He married on 3 Sept 1901 Stella C. Hungerford, daughter of Elbert Hungerford. Fred d 16 Aug 1938 in Watertown NY. Stella was born 1869 and died 1959.
2) John HOWLAND, (son of WILLIAM HOWLAND?) b 17 Feb 1777; dc 1828; married 24 Mar 1798 Ruth Gilbert b 27 Mar 1779 NY
3)(H)Oziel HOWLAND, b 26 June 1779; married Wealthy Waty Warren about 1802; he died 17 Sept 1863 Lapeer Co, MI.
4)Bathsheba HOWLAND, b 19 Oct 1781; died 11 Oct 1853 Rutland, Jefferson Co NY; m in 1802 John Southworth5)William HOWLAND, b 1783
6)Rufus. HOWLAND, b 1787 an early settler of Rutland, Jefferson Co NY; he died 5 Dec 1853 in Rutland, Jefferson Co; married Sarah Woodward
7)David HOWLAND, b 12 Oct 1793 an early settler of Rutland Jefferson Co NY; died 20 Apr 1847; married Desire Covey. Desire died 15 Mar 1874 at 76 y 10 m 11 d.
8)Hannah HOWLAND, b 1794/5 married James Allen
WILLIAM McGINNIS was born 26 October 1746 in County Down, Ireland. He sailed to America on 3 June 1772 in the ship "Philadelphia" and arrived at New Castle, Delaware on 22 August of 1772. Before leaving Ireland he married Elizabeth Berry (died at 102 years of age) who came with William to America. William was a weaver by trade and settled in Marbletown, Ulster Co NY where he lived until his death.
Children of WILLIAM McGINNIS and ELIZABETH BERRY:
1)John McGINNIS b 29 Sept 1773
2)Mary McGINNIS b 24 Nov 1776
3)Isaac McGINNIS b 16 Jan 1779
4)James McGINNIS b 26 Aug 1781
5)Alexander McGINNIS b 21 Feb 1784
6)William McGINNIS b 28 Aug 1786 in Marbletown, Ulster Co NY
7)Rachel McGINNIS b 31 Jan 1788
8)Phoebe McGINNIS b 7 Feb 1790
9)Ann McGINNIS b 29 May 1792
Children of WILLIAM McGINNIS Jr. and RACHEL HARPER:
1)Alexander McGINNIS died in Oconto-Canada or Wisconsin
2)Henry McGINNIS who died young
3)James McGINNIS who resided in Kingston, Ontario CA; married on 26 Mar 1865 to Sarah McConnell of Cape Vincent.
4)Robert McGINNIS who settled in Arkansas
5)Catherine McGINNIS who married James Spike and died in Arrowsmith Canada
6)Maria McGINNIS married Moses Spike and died in Aug. 1902 in Colfax, California
7)William McGINNIS Jr. who lived at Oboji, Iowa bc 1823 in Pamelia, blacksmith; married Eliza __bc 1826 in Canada.
Child: Robert McGINNIS bc 1844
9)Ann Phebe McGINNIS
10)Sarah Jane McGINNIS
11)Isaac McGINNIS b 4 May 1825 in Pamelia and died 23 Oct 1913; his first occupation was that of teacher. Later he owned 200 acres of land which was devoted to farming and dairying and raising blooded stock, Ayrshire cattle. In 1881 he purchased a cottage in the Thousand Island Park, one of the first cottages, which became his summer home. Isaac also held a number of public offices and participated in several lodges and organizations. In 1850 he married Lasira White, b 18 Sept 1832 and died 4 Jan 1911, daughter of Lyman White and Hannah Wilson, a farmer in Pamelia and an early settler of the region. The Wilsons were natives of Massachusetts and Vermont.
Children of ISAAC McGINNIS and LASIRA WHITE:
a) Ida M. McGINNIS married George M. Haven of Watertown, a trustee/appraiser for the Jefferson County Savings Bank
b) Ella McGINNIS married George A. Fenner, a contractor and builder in Watertown
9) Eliza Ann McGINNIS who married Robert Addison and lived in Athens, Canada
10) Phoebe J. McGINNIS who married Edward Upham of Sydenham, Canada West; married by Rev. Nash on 3 Sept 1847 in Jefferson Co. NY.
11)Sarah Jane McGINNIS who died at five years.
1) Lasira WHITE b 1832 married Isaac McGinnis
2) Otis WHITE of Gladstone, North Dakota
3) Morris WHITE of Northport, Michigan
~~~~~ Children of LYMAN WHITE and MARCIA TOWNE:4)Wyman WHITE b 2 Mar 1858
5)Luman WHITE b 6 Oct 1859
6)George W WHITE b 4 Dec 1861
7)Ada White Rosebrook b 11 Oct 1865
8)child of Marcia Towne's first marriage to Austin George: Lydia White m Asa Ostrander 1872
Children of GEORGE WHITE and LYDIA WILLIAMS:
1) LYMAN WHITE b 14 April 1800 m 4 Mar 1822 to Abbie Maria Fish b 30 June 1806; settled in Pamelia NY; moved to Rutland NY and then Illinois. Lyman White died 16 Aug 1846 and Abbie married 2) on 3 Feb 1848 to Capt. Harry Boardman, b 28 Feb 1793, a farmer in Dupage, IL. Former Captain in the Black Hawk War in 1832. He died 30 May 1876 and Abbie died 14 July 1866.
Children of LYMAN WHITE and ABBIE FISH:
a) George C. White b 25 Aug 1826 married Mary J. Chapman
b) Hiram Morris White b at Pamelia 23 Nov 1827; d California 14 Sept 1851
c) Egbert Harvey White b Rutland NY on 4 Mar 1830; m 12 Jan 1859 Sarah E. Lawrence of NY; died Joliet, IL on 24 Jan 1860
d) Cornelia Maria White b 28 O ct 1832 m Dr. Artemus Chapel
e) John Sylvester White b 1 Sept 1835 m 1) Mary A Farmer and 2) Mrs. Salvina R. Smith
2) Mary d 22 May 1834 at 20 years
ELIJAH COBB was born 22 July 1833 in Alexandria and was ten years old when his parents moved to Hounsfield. He was a successful farmer at Sackett's Harbor. In 1864 he enlisted in the Civil War and was discharged 2 June 1865. He married on 13 Nov 1858 to Emily M. Frink, daughter of William C. and Maria (Moore)Crandall of Hounsfield. Emily's parents were natives of Brookfield, Madison Co., NY Emily was the widow of Perrin H. Frink. Elijah died in 1934. Emily was born in 1835 and died in 1924.
Children of ELIJAH COBB and EMILY (CRANDALL) FRINK:
1) Herbert C. COBB married Olia Putnam of Adams and moved to Spink Co., Deland, South Dakota. He was born in 1860 in Jefferson Co., NY. He homesteaded in Spink in 1883, but in 1880 made a trip to Jefferson County and married Olia E. Putnam there.
Children of HERBERT C. COBB and OLIA PUTNAM:
a) Ray COBB
2)George H. COBB was born 10 October 1864 on the farm at Hounsfield. He read law and was admitted to the bar in 1891; served in various public offices and became a state senator. He married 19 April 1893 to Louisa Wenzel, daughter of Fred and Kunigunda Wenzel of Watertown. Louisa was born 26 Jan 1865 in Watertown.
Children of GEORGE H. COBB and LOUISA WENZEL:
a) George Donald Cobb b 18 March 1899
3) Eugene F. COBB b c 1869; married on 30 July 1890 to Sarah (Sadie) Walsworth of Adams Center moved to Deland, South Dakota
Children of EUGENE F. COBB and SARAH WALSWORTH:
a) Florence B. COBB
4) Edward Elijah COBB b 26 Nov 1873; m on 25 May 1912 to May Fawdrey; he died March 1967; was a farmer near Sacketts Harbor
5)Franklin P. Frink, son of Emily by her first marriage to Perrin H. Frink. Franklin married Minnie E. Waterbury of Hounsfield.
Children of FRANKLIN P. FRINK and MINNIE E. WATERBURY:
a) Perrin H. FRINK
b) Clara Emily FRINK
Children of WILLIAM R. EMERY and ESTHER OSTROM:
1) Roxina EMERY b 28 Dec 1859 married William H. Rudd, farmer of Lorraine
Children of ROXINA EMERY and WILLILAM H. RUDD:
a) Maddie B. RUDD b 19 Oct 1880
b) Emery J. RUDD b 18 Oct 1885
c) Jessie M. RUDD b 9 July 1879 married George E. Bowman
Children of JESSIE M. RUDD and GEORGE E. BOWMAN:
a) Ruth E. RUDD born 8 Aug. 1899
Children of RICHARD OSTROM and MARIA FULLER:
1)James OSTROM, born 31 Oct. 1838; served in the Civil War and died 22 March 1862
2)Esther OSTROM, born 26 July 1841 and married William R. Emery3)Jeannette OSTROM, born 10 July 1845 and died 7 Sept 1852
4)Caroline OSTROM, born 10 June 1848 and married Alfred Ash of Herkimer Co., NY
5)Mary Dette OSTROM, born 13 Sept 1851 and married Theodore Ashley of Utica NY
6)Alfred OSTROM, born 25 June 1855; resided in Michigan
7)Rozell OSTROM, born 11 Nov. 1858 and resided Saginaw, Michigan
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page
Copyright 2011 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project