JEFFERSON COUNTY NEW YORK
JEFFERSON COUNTY MIGRATIONS
Migrations - Jefferson Co Parts 30a, 30b, and 30c:
Selected Birth and Marriage Records
From Hist. Of Gage Co Nebraska:
ALVIN D. SPENCER was born in Jo Davies Co IL on 21 Nov 1870, son of
OSCAR and MARY DANIELS SPENCER. Oscar Spencer was born 23 July 1833 in
Cayuga Co NY, son of Samuel Spencer also born Jefferson Co NY. Samuel
Spencer was a cooper by trade and followed his trade all of his life,
the latter years spent in Lincoln, Nebraska, where he died in 1899. Son,
Oscar, was a teacher in NY and later became a bookkeeper in Freeport,
IL. On 10 Sept 1854 he married Mary Daniels. Mary Daniels was born 10
Sept 1834 in Jefferson County, NY as were her parents.
ORMAN L. MASON b 17 Oct 1836 Jefferson Co., NY; died 17 Feb 1869
Fredonia, NY- Forest Hill Cemetery Chautauqua Co NY
CHLOE COFFEE m PETER E. SLATE on 1 Aug 1838 Jefferson Co., NY; she b
Hermon, NY; d 31 Jan 1910 Cape Vincent, daughter of JOHN C. COFFEE and
JOHN C, COFFEE III b 7 Oct 1831 Lisbon NY; d 1 Jan 1899 Pierrepont NY,
son of JOHN C. COFFEE and SARAH BURTON. Married RHODA HENDRICK on 24 Mar
1853. RHODA HENDRICK was b 18 Oct 1838 Berlin, NY, daughter of JONATHAN HENDRICK and POLLY CRONKITE
Children of JOHN C. COFFEE and RHODA HENDRICK:
- 1) CHARLES H. COFFEE married EMELINE BRABAW
- Children of CHARLES H. COFFEE married EMELINE BRABAW:
- a) HARRIET MAY COFFEE b 28 Apr 1895 Pyrites, NY; m PLINY MYRON CASAW on 8 Aug 1913
- 2) WILLIAM COFFEE
- 3) ELIZA COFFEE
- 4) HATTIE ELVIRA COFFEE b 24 June 1869 Hermon NY; married HOWARD F. HOLDEN on 25 Dec 1887 Potsdam NY
- 5) FRANK STANLEY COFFEE b 26 Nov 1870 Hermon NY; married EMMA JANE DANIELS on 10 Sept 1903.
- Children of FRANK S. COFFEE and EMMA J. DANIELS:
- a) ELMER STANLEY COFFEE b 14 Apr 1904 Gouverneur NY; d 7 Mar 1973; married
BLANCHE E. McGUIRE on 3 July 1923
- b) WILLIAM COFFEE
- c) HENRY COFFEE
- d) HAROLD S. COFFEE
JOHN C. COFFEE b 1795 Washington Co NY; d 1878. m 1822 1) MARY CUMMINGS
and 2) m SARAH BURTON 20 May 1845 Jefferson Co., NY. Sarah was born 1812.
Children of JOHN C, COFFEE and MARY CUMMINGS:
- 1) NATHANIEL COFFEE
- 2) CHLOE COFFEE
Children of JOHN C. COFFEE and SARAH BURTON:
- 3) JOHN C. COFFeE III
- 4) EMORY COFFEE
- 5) MARY COFFEE
PETER HOUSE was b 1799 NY and died 11 Dec 1864 Jones Co., Iowa. He
married NANCY BOYER in NY, who was born 1797 Manheim, Herkimer Co NY and
died 1840 Jones Co Iowa.
Children of PETER HOUSE and NANCY BOYER:
- 1) LUCINDA HOUSE m 1) JOHN COUNTRYMAN and 2) RICHARD BENNETT
- 2) JEREMIAH HOUSE b 15 Jan 1822 Jefferson Co NY; d 27 April 1892 Iowa
- 3) MARY A. HOUSE b 1 May 1825 m RILEY CALKINS
- 4) PHILO H. HOUSE bc 1830 NY
- 5) MARGARET ELIDA HOUSE b 12 Aug 1834 in Theresa, Jefferson Co NY; d Jan 1917 Walla Walla Co WA
- 6) TAMALANE HOUSE bc 1836 m T. L. LEUNG
- 7) FANNY HOUSE bc 1839
JEREMIAH HOUSE b 15 Jan 1822 in Jefferson Co., NY, son of PETER WILBER HOUSE. (Iowa Hist.) He died 27 April 1892 Webster City, Iowa; married LAURA J. REMINGTON on 6 June 1848 in NY. She was the daughter of JONATHAN REMINGTON and CHARLOTTE WOODARD. She was bc 1830 VT. JEREMIAH served in the Civil War.
Children of JEREMIAH HOUSE and LAURA REMINGTON:
- 1) JOHN DAVID HOUSE b 14 March 1849 Jefferson Co NY d 18 Dec 1821 Webster City IOWA
- 2) PETER WILBUR HOUSE b 15 Sept 1853 Jefferson Co NY d 16 Mar 1933 Webster City IOWA
- 3) IDA AGNES HOUSE b 1858 Iowa
- 4) JERRY ALONZO HOUSE b 4 April 1861 Iowa d 19 Dec 1930 Iowa
- 5) EMMA JANE HOUSE b 14 Dec 1865 Iowa d 2 Aug 1941 Iowa
JOSEPH PARKER b 1 Aug 1762 d 25 Feb 1835, Rev. War. PVT of VT; son of SAMUEL PARKER and SARAH MESSER. Married 1) JUDITH WATTS; 2) LYDIA WATTS; burial Plessis Cem., Alexandria, Jefferson Co NY
SAMUEL WILSON PARKER b 1805 near Watertown, Jefferson Co., 9 Sept 1805.
Farmer, lawyer, Indiana House of Reps and Indiana State Senate. Died
Sacketts Harbor NY 1 Feb 1859.
JOHN JAY HALL Sr. was born 12 May 1830 Ellisburg, Jefferson co., NY, son
of RUFUS HALL and HARRIET TAYLOR. He died 28 Nov 1892 Andrew Co., MO age
62. Married on 31 March 1866 in Dekalb, IL to THEDITA JEANETTE RASAY,
who was b Ogdensburg, St. Lawrence Co NY 20 March 1840. She died 24 Mar
1924 in MO at 84 years.
SANFORD DEXTER HUNT was born in Rodman, Jefferson Co NY on 4 May 1833
and died 3 Aug 1895 in Carthage, NY; he was a tailor by occupation. He
married 1)EMELINE E. ARMS on 21 Feb 1856, daughter of HIRAM ARMS and
TAMAZIN E. PADDOCK of Adams Center NY. She died 10 April 1860 in Adams
Center; he married 2) MARY ELIZABETH SAFFORD on 20 March 1862, daughter
of IRA C. SAFFORD and CAROLINE ACKLEY.
Dr. CHARLES ELLIS was born in Jefferson Co NY in Nov. 1830; married in
Kalamazoo, MI to CYNTHIA MORSE in June 1857. Cynthia Morse was born 2
April 1840 Jefferson Co NY. (Hist. Of Lynn Co IOWA)
JOHN W. CONLEY was born 7 Aug 1831 Jefferson Co NY; in 1847 he went to
Kane Co IL. In 1849 he moved to Lynn Co IOWA; married 1 Jan 1857
MARIETTE J. HUTCHINS, daughter of BRADLEY and MINERVA HUTCHINS. Mariette
was born 9 April 1836.
D. T. SILL was born 1811 Jefferson Co NY; lived in IL for 26 years and
in 1865 to Linn Co, Iowa. He married P. A. MESSENGER in 1832, who was born VT.
MARTIN ELLINWOOD was born 1836 Jefferson Co NY; left with parents at
age five to Macomb Co, MI. He married a Miss BEAMAN of Shiawasse Co.,
near Lansing, MI in May 1865.
JOSEPH LEONARD GARLOCK b 16 Mar 1814 NY d 10 June 1883 Alden, MN;
married NANCY ANN HORNING 1835 of Jefferson Co., NY
JOHN LEONARD GARLOCK b 6 June 1845 Jefferson Co NY; d 7 Sept 1925 St
Paul MN; married SELINA TRIGG on 27 June 1868 Carlston, MN
ALFRED LATHROP was born 17 Dec 1782 Norwich, New London CT; died 20 May
1865 Carthage, Jefferson Co., NY, son of WILLIAM LATHROP and CYNTHIA ELDERKIN.
MILTON JEROME of Madrid, Jefferson Co m LOUISA CHAPMAN W. Martinburgh
on 15 Feb 1849 at Lowville, Lewis Co NY
ALLEN CLARK ADSIT born 20 Feb 1837 Rutland NY, son of STEPHEN ADSIT (1805-1884) and POLLY (SMILEY) ADSIT (d 1853); married 1871 MARY HUBBELL (d 1872); m 2 on 24 Feb 1886 SARAH KILPATRICK. Allen died 1912. (Michigan-lawyer and politician)
GEORGE HENRY COBB b Hounsfield, Jefferson Co., son of ELIJAH COBB and
EMILY (CRANDALL) COBB; married 19 April 1893 LOUISA WENZEL LAWYER,
Dist.Attorney, NY State Senate.
GEORGE WASHINGTON TYLER b Jefferson Co NY March 1834, son of MANNING and
POLLY TYLER. Married MARIAN SALINA WARNER, b Wood Co OH on 13 June 1846
died 1907 OH; he died 23 Sept 1899 .
DANIEL ABBEY, son of SHADRACH ABBEY and WEALTHY, was born 23 Sept 1801
Otsego Co NY. He married SUSANNA HOTCHKISS in 1829 in Clayton, Jefferson
Co. NY. She was the daughter of JOSEPH/JOTHAM and SALLY HOTCHKISS, and
was born 22 March 1804 in Lewis Co NY; Susanna died 27 Jan 1883 at 78 y
10 m 25 d in Jefferson Co., NY. JOTHAM HOTCHKISS and SALLY KAGWAIN were
married in Chester MA on 24 Jan 1803 (int recorded there)
Children of DANIEL ABBEY and SUSANNA HOTCHKISS:
- 1) ALSAM ABBEY b 25 April 1830 Clayton, Jefferson Co NY; died 1896 Cape Vincent. Married MARIA DERBY, daughter of LEWIS R. and ALZINA (FARR) DERBY.
- 2) SHADRACH ABBEY b 23 Aug 1832 Clayton; married LOUISA C. MORRISON
- 3) PHILEMENA ABBEY b 17 June 1838 Clayton d 26 Nov 1909; married SYLVESTER CHAPIN.
- 4) LYDIA ELIZABETH ABBEY b 19 Aug 1840 Clayton; married 27 Nov 1890 PHILANDER B. GRANT, son of HENRY and SARAH GRANT.
- 5) WEALTHY A. ABBEY b 25 March 1843 Clayton d 9 Jan 1882 Cape Vincent. Married in Brownvile, NY on 16 Jan 1867 ALFRED D. PERCY b 14 Feb 1842, son of DAVID and ABIGAIL PERCY of Cape Vincent.
- 6) JAIRUS ABBEY b 18 June 1844 Clayton; served in the Civil War; married 9 Oct 1867 at Three Mile Bay to PHEBA A. HALLl b 9 Oct 1843 in Ellisburgh, NY. D 6 Jan 1910. Daughter of ALBERT and SUSAN MARIA (BISHOP) HALL.
- 7) CHARLES D. ABBEY b 3 Sept 1847 Clayton; d 1909; married in Chaumont NY, 1868 RETTIE (---), who d 1911.
MIGRATIONS PART 30B:
SHADRACH ABBEY was born 23 Aug 1832 in Clayton NY, son of DANIEL and
SUSAN (HOTCHKISS) ABBEY. He died in Flint MI 11 April 1880. He married in
Rochester NY on 10 May 1866 LOUISA C. MORRISON, who was born in Clayton
NY on 9 May 1845, daughter of ANDDREW F. and GERTRUDE C. (HOLLENBECK)
MORRISON. After SHADRACH died, LOUISA married 2) (---) MUZZY.
Children of SHADRACH ABBEY and LOUISA C. MORRISON:
- 1) DANIEL ANDREW ABBEY b 29 Aug 1867 Cape Vincent NY - res. Findlay, OH;
married 11 Oct 1892 in Watertown, NY to LOTTIE C. HALL, b 6 June 1867
Three Mile Bay, Jeff. Co., daughter of HARLEY and MATTIE (SNELL)HALL.
- Children of DANIEL ABBEY and LOTTIE HALL:
- a) VANDEVERE ABBEY b 27 Dec 1895
- b) LOUISE MARGARET ABBEY b 6 Nov 1901
- 2) RAYMOND CHARLES ABBEY b 18 July 1871 Clayton NY; resided Flint, MI.
Married in Grand Rapids, MI 11 July 1891 CLARA LOUISE TIBBITTS b 23
Feb 1871 Rochester NY, daughter of CHARLES GOODRICH and MARIA MARGARET (SCHUYLER) TIBBITS
PHILENA or PHILMENA ABBEY, of DANIEL and SUSAN (HOTCHKISS)
ABBEY, was born 17 June 1838 in Clayton, NY and died 26 Nov 1908 near
Copenhagen, NY. Married in Clayton NY on 4 Jan 1865 SYLVESTER CHAPIN,
born 28 Feb 1831 near Copenhagen; died there 21 Nov 1898, son of SILAS
H. and CLORINDA (KNOWLES) CHAPIN.
Daughter BLANCHE CHAPIN b 6 Aug 1882; lived Chaumont, NY. BLANCHE CHAPIN married 6 Feb 1912 CHARLES A. LEE, son of CHARLES and ANNA (---) LEE.
SAMUEL ABBEY was the son of SHADRACH and WELTHAN ABBEY, born Otsego Co
NY about 1807. Lived for a short time in Jefferson Co NY; died Clayton
NY October 1867. Married 1) about 1834 to ELIZABETH/BETSEY THOMPSON b
near Concord NH about 1811; died Clayton NY October 1850, daughter of
(---) and OLIVE (KENDRICK) THOMPSON. SAMUEL married 2) Mrs. CLARISSA
(GRAVES) DAVIS, born Brownville, NY 1815; died Clayton 1884.
Children of SAMUEL ABBEY and ELIZABETH THOMPSON:
- 1) WILLIAM ABBEY b 3 Jan 1835 Orleans Twnshp, Jefferson Co; married 1) HELEN HENTZE b Clayton NY, daughter of LEVI and IRENE HENTZE. He marred 2) 1885 HELEN CARNAL l b St. Lawrence Co. d c 1906
- 2) MARY ABBEY b Orleans 7 Feb 1837; married Three Mile Bay on 5 Jan 1859 to EDWARD KENNEY of Clayton; he b Lewis Co NY 1831, son of THOMAS and ALPHENA KENNEY; d Berlin MN 16 May 1904
- 3) SALINA ABBEY was the daughter of SAMUEL and ELIZABETH (THOMPSON) ABBEY. She was born in Orleans, Jefferson Co NY on 21 April 1843; she moved to Kennedy, Chautauqua Co NY. Married in Clayton NY on 3 July 1867 IRA NICHOLS, born in Clayton on 16 March 1840; died in Kennedy on 27 Jan 1907, son of ANDREW and CORDELIA (HOLCOMB) NICHOLS of Vermont. Ira served in the Civil War as LT, 13th Regiment, US Colored Troops. After the war he engaged in the lumber business in Kennedy.
Children of SAMUEL ABBEY and Mrs. CLARISSA GRAVES DAVIS:
- 4) BESSIE ABBEY b 15 Dec 1854 Clayton; married in Rosiere NY on 3 July 1881 GEORGE TIERNAN b 18 Mar 1833 in Canada, son of THOMAS and MARY TIERNAN
- 5) DEWITT C. ABBEY b Clayton 2 April 1856; married Watertown NY 1 Jan 1890 BERTHA C. CORNWELL b 13 May 1870, daughter of JOHN and MARY CORNWELL
- 6) WALTER H. ABBEY b 24 Nov 1865 in Clayton; married 10 July 1895 FLORENCE H. SHOTTENKIRK, b 12 Sept 1868 IL, daughter of DANIEL and MIRIAM (IRBISTER) SHOTTENKIRK.
JAMES MADISON CAMPBELL was born 3 April 1835 in Jefferson Co NY, son of
JAMES CAMPBELL who was born in Scotland and died c1853 San Francisco,
CA. Mother was PHOEBE FASTER(?) b NY; d 3 Feb 1866 in Jefferson Co NY.
JAMES married on 24 Feb 1848 in Jefferson Co NY 1) ELIZABETH
HAZELWOOD, b England d 24 April 1855 Buffalo NY; married 2) MARY MARIA
HAZELWOOD, sister of Eliabeth on 2 Nov 1856. From Crawford Co WI bios.
TIMOTHY RAWSON, Revolutionary War Patriot, b 20 Oct 1747 Uxbridge, MA
and died 1825 or 1832 in Jefferson Co NY. Son of ABNER RAWSON and MARY ALLEN.
Married 3 Dec 1767 CHLOE FISH b 25 June 1751 Uxbridge, MA d 1787.
Dau: DOLLY RAWSON b 10 Mar 1768 d 1803 m 13 July 1797 MASON WHITNEY b 1765
Dau: MARIA WHITNEY 1795 d 1863 m ISAAC WELLS b 1793 d 8 April 1856 at 62 yrs
Son: MARCUS WELLS b 1823 d 1901 m 1855 LUCINDA FENTON b 1832
Dau: ANNA WELLS m CHARLES E. BUTTS DAR NO 87238 and 88843
MASON WHITNEY was born 16 Dec 1765 and married 29 Mar 1792 in Uxbridge
MA to DOLLY RAWSON. MASON WHITNEY was the son of MICAH WHITNEY and LYDIA MASON. Micah was born 4 June 1725 in Sherborn, Middlesex, MA; married 1747 LYDIA MASON. He died 29 Nov 1791.
Children of MASON WHITNEY and DOLLY RAWSON:
- 1) ERASTUS WHITNEY b 13 July 1797; died 16 Oct 1854; married BETSY
CHADWICK on 4 June 1826. Betsey was born 8 Apr 1805 and died 3 Sept
1872. (see Erastus Whitney family this site.)
Children of TIMOTHY RAWSON and CHLOE FISH:
- 1) DOLLY RAWSON b 10 Mar 1768; m 13 July 1797 MASON WHITNEY. She d 1803
- 2) CHAUNCY RAWSON b 23 Oct 1770 and d 1835; married 1803 SIBEL PRATT
- 3) PERLEY RAWSON b 9 May 1773; married 1798 CHARLES COMMINS
- 4) LUCY RAWSON b 23 Dec 1775 m 1796 JOSEPH HALL
- 5) SALLY RAWSON b 6 Jan 1778; m 1798 NATHAN BULLARD
- 6) LUTHER RAWSON b 13 Dec 1780 m 1807 ROBY PARKER
- 7) CALVIN RAWSON b 4 June 1785 and d 10 Feb 1849; married 27 Dec 1814 MERCY SHERMAN
- 8) PERLINDA RAWSON b 20 Mar 1787 m 1805 JOHN BEATTEY
HEZEKIAH WELLS was born 22 Sept 1767 in Tolland Co CT; his father who
was also HEZEKIAH WELLS, was a native of Wales, served in the Rev. War,
and was an early settler of Concord NH where he died. HEZEKIAH WELLS Sr.
married on 9 Sept 1762 PHOEBE TALCOTT in Tolland Co. CT. HEZEKIAH JR
died at age 62 on his route to Jefferson Co., NY. He married SARAH EDWARDS of Concord NH. Hezekiah was buried on the Oxbow farm on the W. Canada Creek. He died 14 June 1818 at 50 yrs 9 mos 8 days. Sarah died 15 June 1847 at 82 yrs.
Children of HEZEKIAH WELLS and SARAH EDWARDS:
- 1) ISAAC WELLS; located Sacketts Harbor 1813; moved to Lyme where he died 8 April 1856 at 62 yrs; married MARIA WHITNEY of Newport, daughter of MASON and MARIA (RAWSON) WHITNEY of MA. Maria died 22 June 1863 at 68 yrs.
- Children of ISAAC WELLS and MARIA WHITNEY:
- a) GILBERT WELLS married 1) MARY J. ___b 1829 d 1858. He m 2) NANCY____who was b 13 Mar 1826 and died 26 Mar 1860.
- b) MARCUS WELLS b 1823; died 1901; married 1855 to LUCINDA FENTON b 1831
- c) ISAAC CADY WELLS died 1930 at age 73 at Three Mile Bay, Jefferson Co NY. He was born near Three Mile Bay on 6 May 1856, son of MARCUS and LUCINDA (FENTON) WELLS. He married CARRIE S. McKINSTRY of Three Mile Bay on 20 Feb 1879; she was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. W. McKINSTRY of Three Mile Bay.
- d) REMOS WELLS was born 6 Aug 1825 Three Mile Bay; married MARY A. POMEROY, daughter of HIRAM S. and ESTHER (RYDER) POMEROY. Mary was b 1827 and died 1909. REMOS was b 6 Aug 1825 and died 1 July 1903.
- Children of REMOS WELLS and MARY A. POMEROY:
- 1) VESPASIAN WELLS of Ashton, Dakota
- 2) JESSICA WELLS
- 3) HARRIET MARIE WELLS b 22 Sept 1863, daughter of MARY ANN POMEROY, b 19 Aug 1827 d 20 Feb 1909, and REMOS WELLS, m 1854; he b 6 Aug 1825, son of ISAAC WELLS and MARIA WHITNEY, died 1 July 1903. Harriet m 27 Dec 1888 to WILLIAM J. LINNELL of Brownsville NY and she d 30 Dec 1912 Watertown, Y. She was a descendant of JOHN WHITNEY, and of FRANCIS COOK of the Mayflower. ISAAC WELLS died 8 April 1856 at 62 years and is buried in Lyme, NY. MARIA WHITNEY WELLS, his wife, died 22 June 1863 at 68 years and is also buried in the Wells /Lyme Cemetery.
- 4) ESTHER WELLS
- d) PAMELIA WELLS
- e) CALISTA WELLS
- f) ELLEN WELLS
- 2) NATHANIEL WELLS died 13 Feb 1851 at 59 y 4 m 8 d; he was a Deacon; married OLIVE (---) who d 29 Sept 1844 at 51 y 5 m 2 d.
- 3) JOSEPPH WELLS died 23 Mar 1858 at 64 y 3 m 22 d
- 4) GARRY WELLS died 23 October 1872 at 74 y 4 m 23 d; married ELLENA WHITE; she d 1885 at 84 y 6 m 27 d.
- 5) HARRY WELLS died 11 Aug 1845 at 42 y 9 mos.; married AMELIA OSTERHOUT. She d 1891 at 77 y 8 m 23 d.
- Child of HARRY WELLS and AMELIA OSTERHOUT:
- a) JOSEPHINE WELLS married 3 July 1862 MYRON BINGHAM DELONG b 30 Sept 1833
- 6) BUEL WELLS born 5 Dec 1805; died 6 July 1883; buried Wells Cem., Lyme, Jeff Co NY. He married ASENATH ____ d 12 Dec 1861 at 56 y 12 d.
- 7) SELDON WELLS was born c 1800; married NANCY WHITE; after her death on 11 July 1840, SELDON remarried 2) SUSAN GILSON and moved to Canada. SELDON died 1860 Selkirk, Ontario CA. SUSAN was the daughter of LUTHER GILSON and MEHITABLE SNOW PENNIMAN.
- Children of SELDON WELLS and NANCY WHITE:
- a) EMILY WELLS b 1834
- b) FANNY WELLS
- c) ALMIRA WELLS
- Children of SELDON WELLS and SUSAN GILSON:
- d) AMELIA WELLS b 9 July 1843 Lyme NY d 26 Jan 1927
- e) REBECCA WELLS b 1854 14 Mar 1854 Ontario CA d 6 Oct 1935
- f) MARY ANN WELLS b 1856/58 Canada
PAUL PENNIMAN was born 24 Jan 1763 in Mendon, Worcester, MA, son of
DAVID PENNIMAN and ELIZABETH PHIPPENY; he married PHILA EARLE; she was
the daughter of ESEK and MEHITABLE (SNOW) EARLE, b Chester VT 1767. PHILA
married PAUL PENNIMAN and lived in Wilna, Jefferson Co NY and she died
1821 at 54 yrs; buried in Rutland, Jefferson Co NY.
Children of Paul Penniman and Philadelphia Earle:
- 1) MEHITABLE PENNIMAN b 18 May 1790 married LUTHER GILSON who was born 19 Nov 1785
and died 28 Jan 1839 Watertown NY. He married on 22 April 1810 to
MEHITABLE SNOW PENNIMAN; she died Erie PA on 4 Sept 1880, daughter of
PAUL and PHILADELPHIA EARLE PENNIMAN.
2) RILEY PENNIMAN
3) JOHN E. PENNIMAN d 5 Dec 1869 at 62 y 9 m; buried Black River Cem; lived
Sterlingville Jefferson Co NY. He married LUCINDA (---) b c1811.
- Children of JOHN E. PENNIMAN and LUCINDA:
- a) ADELIA b 1845 d 1881; married 15 Feb 1866 FRED S. WARD (7 Dec1842- d 21 Aug 1901) bur. Pierce Cem, Fargo NY; he m on 8 March 1889 2) MINNIE L. WEBB.
- b) ADELPHIA b1836 d 29 Apr 1882 at 46 y; married as his second wife to DOLPHUS S. BROWN; bur. Black River Cem. He probably married 1) HARRIET S. BURKE
- Children of ADELPHIA PENNIMAN and DOLPHUS S. BROWN:
- A) ADELIA L. BROWN married JAMES S. McGOWN
- Children of DOLPHUS S. BROWN and HARRIET S. BURKE:
- B) WILLIA ADOLPHUS BROWN b 1895; died 1941 bur. Hillside Cem. Antwerp, Jeff. Co NY
- C) ELLEN BROWN b 1840
- D) EMMA BROWN b 1843 d 1941; married (---) OTIS
- 4)ELI PARTRIDGE PENNIMAN was born 9 June 1800 Keene NH and died 30 Apr
1884, son of PAUL PENNIMAN (b 24 Jan 1763)Mendon Worcester, MA and
PHILADELPHIA EARLE. ELI married 1) MARGARET POORE in 1822 in Jefferson Co
NY and she died 1834 at 26 y 6 m buried Rutland NY; married 2) on 2 May
1836 AMY STODDARD b 7 Apr 1813 Town of Pinckney, Lewis Co NY. She
died 16 Mar 1891 Libertyville IL. AMY was the daughter of JAMES STODDARD
and HULDAH GOODENOUGH.
- Children of ELI PENNIMAN and AMY STODDARD:
- a) LUTHER GILLSON PENNIMAN b 10 Sept 1837 Black River, Jefferson Co NY
- b) JAMES RILEY PENNIMAN b 31 Dec 1839 Jefferson Co NY
- c) AMELIA GERTRUDE PENNIMAN b 13 Apr 1843 IL
- d) ADELIA MEHITABLE PENNIMAN b 24 Oct 1849 IL
- e) IDA JULIANA PENNIMAN b 1856 IL
ZURIEL PENNIMAN was born 13 Feb 1788 Keene, NH, and was early, (1815) at Black River and Great Bend in Jefferson Co NY. He married 12 June 1821 to ALMIRA FREEMAN, daughter of Col. ALFRED FREEMAN, a pioneer settler of
Wilna. After her death on 18 Mar 1818 at 20 yrs, he married 2) NANCY EVERETT who was born 12 March 1795 in New Hampshire. She died 3 Nov 1860 at 60 years and is buried at Fort Drum. ZURIEL purchased land in Wilna, which he cleared and where his descendants resided. ZURIEL died on 8 Oct 1873 at 85 y 7 m 9 days and is buried in the Pierce Cemetery.
Children of ZURIEL PENNIMAN and NANCY EVERETT:
- 1) GUY EARL PENNIMAN was born 4 Jan 1827 in Rutland and reared on the home farm. He inherited his land of 45 acres and continued to improve on it until his death on 1 Jan 1903 at 76 years 11 months. He married on 4 Jan 1849 to MADELINE SMITH, daughter of JOHN and SUSAN SMITH. MADELINE died on 5 Aug 1873 at 43 y 10 m and is buried in Pierce Cem. at Fort Drum.
- Children of GUY E. PENNIMAN and MADELINE SMITH:
- a) GUY PENNIMAN born 29 October 1850 in Wilna and died 1920; married 6 Nov 1873 to CORNELIA M. COLBURN, a native of Wilna and daughter of ORLIN and ELIZA (GATES) COLBURN of Champion and Wilna. CORNELIA'S grandfather, AMOS COLBURN and his brother ASA, were among the pioneers of Champion. CORNELIA was born 1850 and died in 1924.
- Children of GUY PENNIMAN and CORNELIA COLBURN:
- 1) PHILA P. PENNIMAN married ELIAS WAGAR of Shenandoah, Dutchess Co NY
- 2) EBER GUY PENNIMAN married 4 June 1902 to ANNAH MAUDE GARDNER of Utica NY. She was born 1881 and died 1929; EBER was born 1878 and died in 1944.
- b) CARRIE PENNIMAN who married DEXTER CROWNER
WILLIAM BLODGETT b 8 Oct 1811 Jefferson Co NY; d 1902 Benton Co.,
Oregon. Moved to Oregon on 3 Oct 1847.
EPHRAIM PALMER was born 27 May 1788 Mapleton Springs, Saratoga, NY and died 21 Jan 1875 in Santa Ana, Orange, California; married HANNAH PHELPS, daughter of NOAH PHELPS and RUTH LOVELAND about 1806 in Lowville, Lewis Co NY. She was b 12 Jan 1790 Cambridge, Washington Co NY and died 9 March 1828 Antwerp, Jefferson Co NY. EPHRAIM married 2) MARY BALER c1830 in Jefferson Co NY.
WALTER DEWEY HUBBARD was b 14 Feb 1821 Leyden, Lewis Co NY; d 14 Dec 1887; married MARY MELISSA PALMER who was b 19 Feb 1828 Antwerp, Jefferson Co NY; d 30 Jan 1906 in Greig, Lewis Co NY, daughter of EPHRAIM PALMER and HANNAH PHELPS.
V. M. BABCOCK was born in Jefferson Co NY on 16 June 1836. He removed to
New Orleans in 1856 and remained there until May 1861 when he returned
to Jefferson Co. and enlisted in the NY Artillery; promoted to LT in
1862. Married Mrs. ESTHER C. CLARK on 8 Oct 1873 and they had one child,
CARL EUGENE. Mrs. Babcock had two children by her former husband, ALONZO CLARK; J. BYRON and ALONZO L.
(Hist. Delaware Co Iowa)
HENRY HOLMES BABCOCK was born in Hamilton NY on 28 March 1821, son of
JOSHUA A. BABCOCK and LAURA HOLMES BABCOCK. HENRY married at Felts Mills
NY on 25 Nov 1841 to ELIZA WHEELER, daughter of JOEL C. and BETSY
(GOULD) WHEELER. ELIZA was born in Westminster VT on 1 May 1820 and died
in Watertown on 29 June 1900. HENRY came to Jefferson County and in 1845
began the manufacture of the "Watertown Wind Mill"; he died 1 Dec 1902
survived by three sons and two daughters:
- 1) MARION R. BABCOCK b 28 Nov 1842 married LLOYD WOODRUFF
- 2) HERBERT PERLY BABCOCK b 28 Nov 1842; died 24 April 1884; married NY on 14 Oct 1875 to ROSE MONROE, daughter of JOHN and MARIETTE (PRIEST) MONROE, born 25 April 1853.
- Child of HERBERT P. BABCOCK and ROSE MONROE
- a) HENRY H. BABCOCK.
- 3) AMELIA LAURA BABCOCK b 25 Dec 1848; d 15 May 1874; married Watertown on 9 June 1870 to ANSON R. FLOWER, b Theresa NY on 20 June 1843.
- 4)GEORGE HENRY BABCOCK b 25 Oct 1852; married at St. Albans NY on 14 Oct 1874 to ALICE L. WEBSTER, daughter of LEVI and ELLEN S. (MEECH) WEBSTER. She was born St. Albans on 9 Feb 1852.
- 5)IDA MAY BABCOCK b 28 Aug 1854; res 601 Fifth Ave., NYC; married 31 Dec 1878 ANSON R. FLOWER, son of NATHAN and MARY ANN (BOYLE) FLOWER Flower.
- 6)ADELLA BABCOCK b 31 Aug 1856; married Watertown on 4 June 1879 to RICHARD HUNGERFORD, son of RICHARD and HELEN (OSGOOD) HUNGERFORD, b Watertown on 27 Sept 1854: child IDA ROSE HUNGERFORD b 11 Nov 1880
- 7)FREDERICK W. BABCOCK b 26 Apr 1858; married 1)Watertown on 28 Apr 1881 ELIZABETH HAAS, daughter of FREDERICK HAAS, b NYC on 7 Jan 1860; died Watertown 28 Feb 1895. He married 2) on Dec 1897 to IDA M. WILLEY b Syracuse NY on 12 June 1860.
- Children of FREDERICK W. BABCOCK and IDA M. WILLEY:
- a) FREDERICK HOWARD BABCOCK b 4 Mar 1887
- b) ALICE ELIZABETH BABCOCK b 31 Aug 1888
- 8) FRANK EARNEST BABCOCK b 9 Nov 1861
ELIZA BABCOCK was the daughter of CHARLES and ZILPHA (HOLCOMB) BABCOCK. She was born 23 July 1808 and married TRUMAN STICKNEY ANGEL. He was born Otsego Co NY on 28 Dec 1806 and d Watertown Jefferson Co on 21 Dec 1891. Eliza died Watertown on 19 Dec 1872.
Children of TRUMAN STICKNEY ANGEL and ELIZA BABCOCK:
- 1) CHARLES BABCOCK ANGEL b Clayton NY on 10 Feb 1834
- 2) ELIZA SEAVER ANGEL b 22 Sept 1837; d Watertown 1 June 1878
- 3) BURT CRITTENDEN ANGEL b Clayton NY 21 Mar 1839 married ELLEN HOLDEN
- 4) ELLEN BURT ANGEL b Clayton NY 7 Nov 1842; married 16 Oct 1865 EDWARD M. GATES b 10 Feb 1842; he died Watertown NY
JEREMIAH BABCOCK was born Westerly RI on 23 Nov 1766, son of CHRISTOPHER and MEHITABLE (CHALKER) BABCOCK; he died Champion NY on 9 April 1847; married 5 Jan 1792 AMY ANGEL, daughter of WILLIAM ANGEL. She died Champion on 17 Feb 1835.
Children of JEREMIAH BABCOCK and AMY ANGEL:
- 1) CHRISTOPHER BABCOCK b 13 Oct 1792; m 1) on 5 June 1815 SUSAN CRANDALL died 29 Feb 1844; and 2) JANETTE McNEIL. CHRISTOPHER died Champion NY 29 June 1869
- 2) ELIAS BABCOCK b 20 Aug 1794 m 27 Apr 1817 SARAH ANGEL b 27 Feb 1799; died Champion NY 26 Jan 1881. Elias d Champion NY 11 Mar 1859.
- Children of ELIAS BABCOCK and SARAH ANGEL:
- a) HIRAM BABCOCK b 13 Sept 1818 m ANN J. PENFIELD
- b) EUNICE BABCOCK b 23 Sep 1825 m JOSEPH M. GARDNER
- c) HORATIO D. BABCOCK b 29 oct 1840; married at Deer River MARY BEDELL, daughter of WILLIAM BEDELLl; she b Deer River 1840.
- 3) JOSHUA A. BABCOCK b 10 Feb 1796 died Felts Mills NY 23 Mar 1843; married at Hamilton on 24 July 1820 LAURA HOLMES, daughter of CHANDLER HOLMES b. Hartand VT 2 Sept 1793 d Felts Mills 29 Dec 1845.
- Children of JOSHUA A. BABCOCK and LAURA HOLMES:
- a) HENRY H. BABCOCK b 28 Mar 1821; m ELIZA WHEELER
- b) PERLEY J. BABCOCK b 31 Aug 1826 m 1) SARAH FURNESS; m 2) HELEN M. GREEN
- c) MARTHA L. BABCOCK b 3 June 1828 d 12 Aug 1829
- d) GEORGE D. BABCOCK b 6 Oct 1834 m MARY O'NEILL
- 4) DRUSILLA BABCOCK b 2 Sept 1797; m 10 Nov 1814 JAMES R. PERIGO
- 5) JAMES BABCOCK 1st b 5 Feb 1799 d young
- 4) AMBROSE S. BABCOCK was the son of JEREMIAH and AMY (ANGEL) BABCOCK, born Hamilton NY on 2 Dec 1800; died Champion NY on 28 Dec 1891. He married in Brookfield NY on 9 Mar 1825 to HULDAH BABCOCK, daughter of NATHAN and HULDAH (BURDICK) BABCOCK. She was born in Brookfield on 2 May 1806 and died in Champion on 11 Jan 1899.
- Children of AMBROSE S. BABCOCK and HULDAH BABCOCK:
- a) ALBERT OSCAR BABCOCK b 4 July 1826; married Champion NY ELIZA McNITT, daughter of NOAH McNITT; b Brookline VT.
- b) ADELIA R. BABCOCK b 7 July 1829 married ORVILLE CUTLER
- c) MARIA A. BABCOCK b 23 Feb 1825 married MARCUS COUGHLIN
- d) ALTHEA J. BABCOCK b 11 July 1838 married OBED W. PIERCE
- 5) JAMES BABCOCK 2nd b 24 Feb 1803 d young
- 6) JEREMIAH BABCOCK Jr. was the son of JEREMIAH and AMY (ANGEL) BABCOCK. He was born 9 Nov 1804 and died Carthage NY on 13 Aug 1886; married Felts Mills 7 Dec 1826 JULIA FRANCES, daughter of JASON and BETSEY (MERRILL) FRANCES b Hartford CT on 31 Dec 1803; died Carthage NY 3 Sept 1885.
- Children of JEREMIAH BABCOCK Jr. and JULIA FRANCES:
- a) AUSTIN ANGEL BABCOCK was the son of JEREMIAH and JULIA (FRANCES) BABCOCK. He was born Felts Mills NY on 11 Sept 1827 and married in Henderson NY on 7 Dec 1852 to ARCELIA M. CRITTENTON, daughter of STEPHEN and CHARLOTTE (DUNHAM) CRITTENTON. She was born Henderson on 18 Aug 1830.
- Children of AUSTIN ANGEL BABCOCK and ARCELIA M. CRITTENTON:
- 1) SARAH M. BABCOCK b 14 Nov 1853
- 2) CHARLOTTE T. BABCOCK b 11 Nov 1856
- 3) FREDERIC S. BABCOCK b 21 Apr 1860 d 5 June 1860
- 4) JASON W. BABCOCK b 4 May 1862 d 18 Sept 1862
- 5) MYRON GLEASON BABCOCK b 19 Dec 1865
- 6) JULIA A. BABCOCK b 17 Apr 1870
- 7) BESSIE A. BABCOCK b 31 July 1872
- b) ADELIA BABCOCK died young. She was the daughter of JEREMIAH and JULIA (FRANCES) BABCOCK.
- c) ADELIA JULIA BABCOCK b 25 May 1830 d Felts Mills NY on 20 Mar 1854; married Felts Mills 25 May 1847 to HENRY MUNN who died July 1853. (Jeff VIR)
- d) JAMES BABCOCK Jr. b 28 Oct 1832 d 15 Dec 1860
- e) WILBUR V. BABCOCK. b 16 May 1835; d Carthage 22 Dec 1861; married June 1858 LORA RICE, b Hermon NY 1 Feb 1841 and died Hermon Sept 1862.
- f) HARRIET E. BABCOCK b 5 Jan 1838 Felts Mills NY ; died Watertown NY on 26 Jan 1895. She married in DeKalb NY on 5 May 1856 to JOHN A. BROWN, born St. Albans, NY on 22 Sept 1818 died Carthage NY 4 July 1882.
- Children of HARRIET E. BABCOCK and JOHN A. BROWN:
- 1) ADA A. BROWN b DeKalb 27 Jan 1859; married Carthage on 27 May 1885 MANSFIELD GARDNER, son of JAMES and MELINDA (HAMON) GARDNER. He b 9 Feb 1889.
- 2) AICE BROWN b Wellsville NY 5 Nov 1861 d Carthage 5 Feb 1865.
- g) ELDRIDGE J. BABCOCK b 21 Aug 1840 d 23 Feb 1843
- h) ANDREW BABCOCK b 17 July 1842; d 19 Feb 1843.
- i) ELMER E. BABCOCK b 8 Aug 1844 d Petersburg VA 31 Mar 1865.
- 7) AMY BABCOCK b 23 Nov 1806; died Champion NY 24 Mar 1894; m 27 May 1824 BENAZAH LEWIS
- 8) WILLIAM BABCOCK b 2 Sept 1809. WILLIAM B. BABCOCK was the son of JEREMIAH and AMY (ANGEL) BABCOCK; he was born 2 Sept 1809 and died near Champion NY on 12 Apr 1875; he married ROXEY LEWIS:
- Children of WILLIAM BABCOCK and ROXEY LEWIS:
- a) WILLIAM BABCOCK
- b) AUGUSTUS BABCOCK
- c) LYSANDER BABCOCK
- d) ELIZUR BABCOCK
RHODES REED BABCOCK was born 30 April 1805 in Sherburne, NY, son of
JAMES and SARAH ( BUDLONG) BABCOCK. RHODES died in Alexandria NY on 20
Aug 1885; married in Alexandria on 26 July 1832 MELISSA THORN,
daughter of RICHARD and BETSY (LEONARD) THORN. She was b Feb 1815.
RHODES BABCOCK moved from Sherburne in 1824 to what is known as the
Barnes Settlement, Alexandria, NY.
Children of RHODES REED BABCOCK and MELISSA THORN:
- 1) NANCY JANE BABCOCK b 19 Sept 1833 and d Luce, MN 4 Mar 1898; m 1848 to (1)AUGUSTUS CAPRINS; m 15 Nov 1860 to (2) WILLIAM McGRANN
- Children of NANCY JANE BABCOCK and AUGUSTUS CAPRINS: (born Alexandria)
- a) HIRAM W. CAPRINS b 4 Sept 1849; d 22 July 1850
- b) ARMENA CAPRINS b 5 Feb 1853 d 1855
- c) CLARA CAPRINS b 5 July 1855 d 1858
- d) ALMIRA W. CAPRINS 8 Sept 1857 m EDWIN S. ROGERS
- Children of NANCY JANE BABCOCK and WILLIAM McGRANN: (born Alexandria)
- e) ELLEN McGRANN b Aug 1861; married Redwood NY Nov 1879 to LEWIS ALBERTSON
- Children of ELLEN McGRANN and LEWIS ALBERTSON:
- 1) WILLIE ALBERTSON b 23 Sept 1880 d 27 Dec 1880
- 2) ORIS F. ALBERTSON b 24 May 1883
- 3) FRANCIS B. ALBERTSON b 10 Sept 1885
- 4) JOHN L. ALBERTSON b 3 Nov 1887
- 5) ADDISON ALBERTSON b 14 Aug 1895
- (Children of NANCY JANE BABCOCK and WILLIAM McGRANN:)
- f) MARY E. McGRANN b 25 Oct 1862 m at Luce MN on 19 Oct 1886 DENNIS S. DURKINS
- g) FLORENCE McGRANN b 21 May 1864 m WILLIAM DAY
- h) WILLIAM R. McGRANN b 17 May 1866
- i) JOHN F. McGRANN. b 28 June 1868 m LAURA ROSSMUNSON
- j) CHARLES McGRANN b 17 Apr 1873
- k) JOSEPH McGRANN b 29 July 1876
- 2) JAMES RICHARD BABCOCK b 17 Sept 1835 Alexandria; m at Theresa NY on 17 Jan 1862 to (1) LUCRETIA EVANS who died Clayton NY May 1893; m 13 Sept. 1900 to (2) JOSEPHINE BELL, daughter of LEVI BELL and MARGARET CARKEY. (Jeff VIR) He was a farmer and ran the Clayton Cheese Factory.
- Children of JAMES RICHARD BABCOCK and LUCRETIA EVANS:
- a) DEALTON E. BABCOCK b 23 Sept 1862
- b) ALICE S. BABCOCK b 20 Sept 1863; married CHARLES SYLVESTER
- c) RHODES J. BABCOCK b 7 Oct. 1864 d 3 May 1867
- d) LULA M. BABCOCK b 20 Sept 1868 m EBER MYERS
- e) SARAH P. BABCOCK b 25 Jan 1870 m GEORGE WHEELER
- f) JENNIE M. BABCOCK b 31 Mar 1874 m WILLIAM SNYDER
- 3)JOHN RHODES BABCOCK b 26 Oct 1837 Alexandria; lived in Depauville, NY; at Theresa NY he m on 28 Feb 1862 to MARY ANN LOAN. JOHN owned and operated several cheese companies in Jefferson and St. Lawrence Counties.
- Children of JOHN RHODES BABCOCK and MARY ANN LOAN:
- a) MARY ELIZABETH BABCOCK b 9 Apr 1867 Alexandria; m Frank DEVENDORF
- b) LYDIA VIOLA BABCOCK b 1 Mar 1878 m EDGAR V. MOUNT
- 4) BETSY CAROLINE BABCOCK b 4 May 1840 Alexandria ; m at Redwood NY on 25 Dec 1865 to (1) LEDSMAR RANDEL. He died Lafargeville NY Sept 1883 and she married (2)GEORGE BARDEN in Clio, Michigan
- Children of BETSY CAROLINE BABCOCK and LEDSMAR RANDEL:
- a) LILLIE MELISSA RANDEL b 13 Dec 1868; married CHARLES HURD
- 5) WILLIAM REED BABCOCK b 23 April 1842 Alexandria NY; m at Oswego NY on 7 Oct 1861 to (1) JULIA JOHNSON and she died 7 Dec 1893; he married 7 Nov 1900 to (2) MARY BEADLEMAN of Clayton NY, daughter of ADAM BEADLEMAN and CARLIE CHURCHILL (Jeff VIR)
- Children of WILLIAM REED BABCOCK and JULIA JOHNSON:
- a) FRED ERWIN BABCOCK b 2 June 1867 d 9 Apr 1883
- 6) HIRAM WESLEY BABCOCK b 19 Apr 1844; d 14 July 1845
- 7) JOSEPH HILL BABCOCK b 14 May 1847 Alexandria NY; m 8 Ma 1879 to MARTHA J. DOLLINGS. She was b Alexandria on 17 Dec 1863. JOSEPH HILL BABCOCK was a farmer.
- Children of JOSEPH HILL BABCOCK and MARTHA J. DOLLINGS:
- a) JESSIE BABCOCK b 24 Dec 1880
- b) JAMES E. BABCOCK b 21 Apr 1882
- c) RAY E. BABCOCK b 25 Aug 1883
- d) FREDDIE E. BABCOCK b 11 May 1886; d 22 Nov 1887
- e) PEARL BABCOCK b 19 Dec 1891
- f) FLORENCE BABCOCK b 15 Jan 1892
- g) HAROLD BABCOCK b 13 Aug 1895
- 8) DANIEL FRANKLIN BABCOCK b 30 Sep 1849 Alexandria; m ANNIE S. DICKEY on 4 July 1870 at Plessis NY. He owned and operated several cheese factories.
- Children of DANIEL FRANKLIN BABCOCK and ANNIE S. DICKEY:
- a) RHODES HUGH BABCOCK b May 1872; married MAUD REED
- b) NORA VIOLA BABCOCK b July 1875
- 9) LILLIE MELISSA BABCOCK b 25 Jan 1856 Alexandria; m on 14 Jan 1885 to EDWARD D. HERRICK, son of DELOS and SOPHRONIA (CURTIS) HERRICK. He was born in Theresa NY on 30 Dec 1861. Was a farmer.
- Children of LILLIE MELISSA BABCOCK and EDWARD D. HERRICK:
- a) EDNA L. HERRICK b 28 Jan 1887
- b) MINA S. HERRICK b 16 Dec 1888
- c) ARLOINE HERRICK b 9 May 1891
- d) LILLIE M. HERRICK b 24 Nov 1893; d 19 July 1899
- e) IVA B. HERRICK b 27 Apr 1903
Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page