Jefferson County Migrations
MIGRATIONS NO. 77.
Early Peck Families in Jefferson County.
ELISHA PECK, son of Samuel, settled in Middletown, now Berlin, CT, where he died 29 May 1762. He married Lydia Peck, daughter of John Peck, 17 May 1743, both being the great grandchildren of Deacon Paul Peck.
Children of Elisha and Lydia Peck:
1) ASA PECK, son of Elisha, left Berlin CT about 1784, and settled in Litchfield, CT. He died at South Farms in 1818. He volunteered in the war of the Revolution during one of the alarms and was in the service for some time. He married Hannah Farnum, June 15, 1786.
2) ARIEL PECK. Son of Elisha, born 17 Nov. 1745 in Middletown, CT; after the war of the Revolution in which he served, he settled in Montgomery County, and died at Ellisburgh, Jefferson Co., NY. He married Rebecca Higby.
Children of Ariel Peck and Rebecca Higby.
- Lucy married Isaiah Byington and settled in Stockbridge, MA
- Lumon b 7 May 1769, Middletown CT – see Pioneer Luman Peck Family this site.
- Elisha b. 7 March 1774; d 7 Jan. 1859 Brownhelm, Ohio
- Sarah married 1)John Hall and 2)a Mr. Benedict
3) ELISHA, son of Elisha, b 25 Feb. 1757 settled in Lenox, MA, where he lived and died. He married Lucretia Patterson.
Children of Elisha and Lucretia:
- John b 1779
- Jabez b 1780
- Betsey b 1782
- Oliver b 1786
- Elisha b 1789
- Elijah b 1791
- Roxanna b 1796
- Lura b 1801
4) AMEY married William Gibbs
5) LYDIA married John Buel
6) SYBIL married Lemuel Orton
ALEXANDER PECK, son of Ichabod, settled in Alexandria, Jefferson Co. He was a carpenter and joiner by trade and occupation. He married Elizabeth Hollet, daughter of Joseph Hollet, on 4 November 1830. She was born 21 August 1805. Alexander died 10 Dec. 1891 at 83 years 10 months, buried Barnes Cemetery. Elizabeth died 7 July 1872 at 66 years, 10 months, 16 days and buried in Barnes.
Children of Alexander and Elizabeth:
- George A. b 29 Sept. 1832; married Catharine Merrill, daughter of James Merrill.
Children of George A. and Catharine:
- George M. b 21 September 1858
- John H. b 5 June 1864
- Mary b 17 June 1862; resident of Alexandria, Jeff. Co., NY
- Joseph b 25 July 1834; died 5 March 1835
- Charles b 7 Nov. 1835; died 12 July 1847
- Elizabeth b 15 Dec. 1837; married George Taylor
- Sarah Jane b 14 April 1839; married John Overoker
- Martha b 1 April 1841
- John b. 26 August 1843
- Daniel b 5 January 1847
JONATHAN PECK, son of Jonathan, settled at Denmark, Lewis Co., NY and then at Alexandria, Jefferson Co. where he was a resident in 1864. His first wife was Abby Nye, daughter of Holland Nye, of Bristol, Dutchess Co., NY, on 5 June 1808. She was born 25 Dec. 1789 and died 25 August 1831. He married second to Malinda Burbank, who was formerly Malinda Gilbert, on 17 Dec. 1832. She died 24 July 1879 at 79 years, 8 months, 15 days and is buried in Brookside Cem., at Plessis. Jonathan Peck JR. died 23 November 1868 at81 years, 9 months, 21 days and is buried in Brookside Cem.
Children of Jonathan Peck:
- Lydia b 13 Nov. 1809; married Solomon Bowen on 16 June 1831; settled in Marquette, WI
- Hallon N. b 24 June 1811; married Alvira S. Freeman on 5 Feb. 1837. He settled in Alexandria, Jeff. Co., and from there he moved to Hammond, WI.
Children of Halon and Alvira:
- William W.
- Henry H.
- Mary E.
- Malinda b 15 Aug. 1813; married Elias Lacy on 21 Aug. 1835 and settled in Lowville where she died.
- Joanna b 22 July 1815; she married Amazia P. Ellis on 5 January 1837 and was living in Plessis, Jefferson Co.
- Abby b 2 March 1817; unmarried
- Woolsey b 25 April 1819; married Catharine McAlister, 17 Dec. 1845 and settled first in Alexandria, then at Orleans. He died 7 Feb. 1896 and is buried in Brookside Cem., Plessis. Catharine was born 18 April 1828 and died 4 May 1907; buried Brookside Cem., Plessis.
- Jonathan b 26 Feb. 1822; married Caroline Burbank 10 April 1846 and settled at Hammond, St. Croix Co., WI.
Children of Jonathan and Caroline:
- William R. b 3 Sept. 1823; settled in California
- Alexander H. b 26 Oct. 1825; married 1)Laura Cooper, daughter of Allen Cooper, and resided at Westfield, Marquette Co. WI. He married 2)Melissa L. Brown, daughter of Harris Brown.
Children of Alexander and Laura:
- Lucina S.
- Cecelia L.
- William R.
- Wilbert F.
- Philander G., b 29 Jan. 1828 d 25 May 1852
- Julia Ann b 4 Aug. 1831
- Charles E., b 7 Feb. 1834 (by second wife, Malinda); Charles married Merrilla A. Shumway on 31 Oct. 1857 and settled at
- Alexandria, Jeff. Co.; one child, Ida born in 1864
- Horace G. b 20 Nov. 1835; married Harriet Beckwith on 4 Oct. 1860 and settled in Alexandria. Horace died in 1922 and is buried in Brookside Cemetery at Plessis. Harriet was born 1841 and died 1916; buried in Brookside Cem., Plessis.
- Harriet M. b 30 Jan. 1838
- Wesley W. b 3 May 1840-unmarried?
AI PECK, son of Thomas, settled in Watertown, Jefferson co., where he died 30 Dec. 1829. He married Sally Griswold of Adams, Jefferson Co., NY. She resided there with her sons in 1865.
Children of Ai Peck and Sally:
- Wyon b 12 Oct. 1819; married 1) Charlotte Lee and 2)Mary Griff and 3)Saray Ney. He moved to Elgin, Illinois and his children were:
- Mary J.
- Sarah A.
- Ai b 4 Sept. 1823; married Jane Ash. He resided in Elgin, Illinois. His children were:
- Joseph J.
- Edgar Ai
PARDON PECK, son of Peleg, settled in Lorraine, Jeff. Co., NY where he and his wife both died. Her name was Sophia Burnham before marriage, born 23 Nov. 1788. They married on 14 January 1808. He died 4 July 1829 and Sophia died 31 March 1825.
Children of Pardon Peck and Sophia:
- __b 7 March 1809; died 22 March, 1809
- William b 3 April 1810; died 9 April 1810
- Sophronia b 1 April 1811 d 22 May 1861; married Dr. L. Bushnell of Watertown, NY
- Harriet b 30 Dec. 1812 d 1858; married John Hanson and settled in Watertown, NY
- ___b 22 Sept. 1814 died in infancy
- Eliza b 23 May 1817; married George W. Hawes and lived at Lafargeville, Jeff. Co.
- ___b 26 April 1819 died 1 May 1819
- Joseph B., b. 29 June 1820; died 18 Aug. 1820
- Sophia b 7 Feb. 1825; died 8 March 1828
Sources for the above information: Gen. History of the Desc. Of Joseph Peck, by Ira B. Peck, printed by Mudge & Son, Boston, 1868. Supplemented by cemetery records in Jefferson Co., NY.
Information contributed by volunteer Marilyn Sapienza.
Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page