A detailed 1864 town MAP-River Section showing residents. (325K file)
A detailed 1864 town MAP-South (Penet) Section showing residents. (490K file)
An 1864 map of The Hamlet of LaFargeville
An 1864 map of The Hamlet of Omar
An 1864 map of The Hamlet of Stone Mills
1918 TOWN OF ORLEANS FARM MAP
A list of POSTMASTERS in the town in existing and discontinued postoffices.
Family sketches from CHILD'S GAZETTEER for the town of Orleans.
Child's Business Directory for the Town of Orleans.
Haddock's Family Sketches - Town of Orleans.
Bartlett's Cemetery Inscriptions for the Town of Orleans.
Vital Records 1847-1849 for the Town of Orleans.
Early Photos of Stone Mills and vicinity from the 1800's.
Rocky Landscape with Cheese Factory - a link to an article about The Stone Mills Union of LaFargeville, New York, 1806 - 1925
Listing of Civil War service records for the Town of Orleans
Orleans Civil War Index
Roll of Co. K 94th Regiment 1866
Names in Company C, 35th Regiment, 1861
Town of Orleans 1890 Census of Civil War Veterans
Civil War Soldiers Buried in the Town of Orleans
1863 Civil war draft and exemption list
Orleans 1848 Tax Roll Index
Orleans--1881 List of Jurors
|Town Historian||JOHN MARRIAM||658-9950||Municipal Bldg; 20558 Sunrise Ave, LaFargeville 13656|
|Town Clerk||TAMMY DONNELLEY||658-9950||Municipal Bldg; 20558 Sunrise Ave, LaFargeville 13656|
|Town of Orleans Library||KELLY ORVIS||658-2271||Sunrise Ave, LaFargeville 13656|
|Northern NY Agriculture
& History Museum
|MARGUERITE RAINERI||658-2353||Stone Mills (PO Box 108 LaFargeville) 13656|
|Thousand Island Park Library||MABEL HEATH||482-9098||427643 St Lawrence Ave;|
Thousand Island Park 13692
History of the Town of Orleans linked from Shirley Farone's Home Page taken from CHILD'S GAZETTEER OF JEFFERSON COUNTY by HAMILTON CHILDS, published in 1890, transcribed by Shirley Farone.
History of the Town of Orleans from "Ray's Place", as found in OUR COUNTY AND ITS PEOPLE by EDGAR C. EMERSON, 1898.
History of the Town of Orleans, taken from A HISTORY OF JEFFERSON COUNTY IN THE STATE OF NEW YORK by FRANKLIN B. HOUGH, A. M., M.D., linked from Shirley Farone's Home Page.
A List of People who contributed information concerning the Town of Orleans in 1878 to Durant and Peirce's History of Jefferson County
History of the Town of Orleans, from Durant and Peirce's History of Jefferson County, 1878.
Official Town of Orleans website
Visitors Guide to the modern Town of Orleans
Penet Square is an integral part of the history of the Town of Orleans. In 1788 an Oneida Indian treaty ceded a tract ten miles square to Peter Penet "for services rendered". Penet gave his name to the land, but soon sold it, and it passed through many purchasers before it came into the hands of John La Farge sometime between 1817 and 1823. Litigation clouded settlers' titles to their farms until 1830. Penet Square, as it is called, lay wholly within the original Town of Orleans, but when the Town of Clayton was formed, the new town included two fifths of Penet Square.
Settlement began, despite the legal squabbles, around 1806 by squatters, who took the land and developed their farms, knowing they had no real title but hoping for the best. John La Farge had little sympathy with the squatters, some of whom disputed his ownership. The first of the farmers was Roderick Frazier, who built his log cabin in 1806 about two miles north of what is now Stone Mills. Peter Pratt followed in 1807, making his clearing south of Stone Mills. Word of this "free land" spread in the Mohawk Valley, drawing many penniless settlers from that area. No record has been kept of them, and when La Farge demanded payment, they left the area.
Dr. Reuben Andrus and Benjamin Page, both Vermonters, settled in 1816, heading a flood of legal settlers. On 3 April 1821, the Towns of Brownville and Le Ray gave birth to the Towns of Alexandria, Philadelphia and Orleans, Orleans being the only one to be created wholly from Brownville. Thus researchers find that people recorded in Brownville in the census of 1820 are found in Orleans in the census of 1825, without ever having moved.
Orleans is located in the northernmost range of towns, with a neck of land giving it access to the St Lawrence River, and cutting Wellesley Island in two pieces. The Town of Clayton is its west boundary, Brownville and Pamelia are on the south, while Le Ray, Theresa and Alexandria make up the eastern boundary. The St Lawrence River and the Town of Alexandria lie to the north, giving Orleans a Canadian border, made more important by the international Thousand Islands Bridge.
The principal village of the Town of Orleans is LaFargeville, named for the early proprietor of the town. Originally called Log Mills, it is the site of a once impressive stone mansion, now in ruins, built by Mr. La Farge. Stone Mills, originally Collins' Mills, was probably the first settlement in the town. Today, the Northern New York Agricultural Museum in Stone Mills houses extensive exhibits of early farming and housekeeping in the area, as well as a restored church, school and cheese factory. Orleans Four Corners, formerly Shantyville, is a crossroads in the eastern part of the town, today reduced to a church and a cluster of houses. More populous and developed are the later settlements on Wellesley, originally Wells, Island, one of the larger of the Thousand Islands. In the 1870s, a Methodist camp meeting association laid out lots on the upper end of the Island, today known as Thousand Island Park, a summer resort also having a year round population. Grand View Park and Fine View are other communities on the island, which also holds a large state park. Other places on the mainland are Fisher's Landing, De La Farge Corners, Port Orleans and Collins Landing. Collins Landing is now occupied by the approaches to the Thousand Islands Bridge.
From the 1864 Jefferson County Atlas: a summary of statistics for Orleans ACRES OF LAND Improved 13,765 1/2 Unimproved 15,157 VALUATION Real Estate 506,788 Personal Property 41,445 Total 548,233 POPULATION Males 1,533 Females 1,463 Number of Dwellings 481 Number of Families 560 Freeholders 436 SCHOOLS Number of Districts 20 Children Taught 1,208 LIVE STOCK Horses 909 Working Oxen and Calves 1,806 Cows 2,662 Sheep 2,269 Swine 1,262 AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS Bushels of Grain Winter 12,874 Spring 100,261 1/2 Tons of Hay 5,488 Bushels of Potatoes 7,531 Bushels of Apples 1,681 Dairy Products Pounds of Butter 212,975 Pounds of Cheese 8,320 YARDS OF DOMESTIC MANUFACTURE 3,047
Names of the early settlers
BRITTON, GEORGE S.
BRITTON, OTIS N.
BUSKIRK, JOEL L.
CARTER, Merchant Stone
COLLINS, JOHN B.
COLLINS, WILLIAM Jr
DILLENBACH, Johannes B.
EGGLESTON, GEORGE H.
FRASER, RODERICK C.
LATTIMER, William Henry
LEE, THOMAS Jr
|MONK, JOHN |
McNETT, JAMES C.
McNETT, JOHN W.
Van ALLEN, Peter
WAGONER, Amanda Melvina
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page
Copyright 2009 - 2015 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project