|Town & Village Historian||GWEN ACHESON||642-5502||5 Aldrich St; PO Box 46, Philadelphia 13673|
|Town Clerk||MARY DIMOCK||642-3421||33019 US Rt 11; PO Box 297; Philadelphia 13673|
|Village Clerk||SANDRA A. INGERSON||642-3452||Village Office, PO Box 70, Philadelphia 13673|
|Bodman Memorial Library||BARBARA DINGLE||642-3323||8 Aldrich St; Philadelphia 13673|
Organized in 1977, this society averages over 600 members, and has microfilmed the Carthage Republican newspaper. The microfilm is deposited in the Carthage Library. They have published books. Their holdings include a working chapel, and a one room school. Carthage lies on the border of Lewis County, so that the society covers part of Lewis as well as the western townships of Jefferson County. The society collects material from three central school districts, the Copenhagen Central, Carthage Central, and Indian River school districts. This area includes parts of the townships of Theresa, Philadelphia, Antwerp, Le Ray, Wilna, and Champion. Their 21 directors represent the various communities within this area.
Contributors to the History of the Town of Philadelphia from The History of Jefferson County NY by Durant & Peirce published in 1878
History of the Town of Philadelphia from "RAY'S PLACE" transcribed from OUR COUNTY AND ITS PEOPLE by EDGAR C. EMERSON, 1898History of the Town of Philadelphia, taken fromA HISTORY OF JEFFERSON COUNTY IN THE STATE OF NEW YORK by FRANKLIN B. HOUGH, A. M., M.D. linked from Shirley Farone's Home Page
The southeastern borders of Philadelphia include a portion of the Fort Drum Military reservation. Completely rectangular, Philadelphia is surrounded by the Towns of Antwerp on the northeast, Wilna on the southeast, Le Ray on the southwest, and Theresa on the northwest. The military reservation crosses township lines to include half of Antwerp, portions of Philadelphia and Le Ray, and most of Wilna, as well as lands in St Lawrence County.
Settlement began slowly, with the first settler arriving about 1804. During the first decade, when the part of the area was owned by a group of Pennsylvania Quakers, only a few families a year trickled into the land now occupied by the Town of Philadelphia. Legal controversies stifled early settlement. The three townships of Alexandria, Orleans and Philadelphia were all created in 1821.
Settlements include the principal village of Philadelphia, Sterlingville in the southern part of the town, now swallowed up by the military reservation, and Pogeland, a hamlet long gone. Because of the early owners, the town had at one time a strong Quaker flavor.
From the 1864 Jefferson County Atlas: a summary of statistics for Philadelphia ACRES OF LAND Improved 16,093 Unimproved 5,747 VALUATION Real Estate 389,394 Personal Property 66,700 Total 456,094 POPULATION Males 949 Females 896 Number of Dwellings 320 Number of Families 360 Freeholders 267 SCHOOLS Number of Districts 10 Children Taught 611 LIVE STOCK Horses 564 Working Oxen and Calves 848 Cows 1,729 Sheep 1,181 Swine 534 AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS Bushels of Grain Winter 218 1/2 Spring 50,541 Tons of Hay 2,994 Bushels of Potatoes 5,762 Bushels of Apples 83 Dairy Products Pounds of Butter 152,784 Pounds of Cheese 90,790 YARDS OF DOMESTIC MANUFACTURE 691
Names of the Early Settlers
COMSTOCK, John Henry
|FOSTER, WARREN |
FREY, SAMUEL C.
LINCOLN, GEORGE WASHINGTON
PADDOCK, Wilson J.
ROBERTS, ELIZABETH |
STRICKLAND, JOHN Jr
STRICKLAND, JOHN Sr
TAYLOR, JOHN R.
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact: Nancy DixonReturn to Jefferson County Genweb Page
Copyright 2009 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project