1. SAMUEL PHIPPEN (son of SAMUEL & EMME/AMY (AVERILL) PHIPPEN) was born 20 Jan 1743 at Topsfield, Essex County, Massachusetts. He moved to Vermont in 1770. A Revolutionary veteran, in 1775 he served as a private in the militia company of Capt. Azariah Wright. In 1777 he served 40 days as a private in Col. William William's regiment of militia. In Mar 1781 he served 3 days as a private in Capt Burk's & Capt Gilson's companies. From July - Dec 1781 he served for 153 days as a lieutenant in Capt Abner Seeley's company. According to the 1800 census, they lived at Westminster, Windham County, Vermont. In 1808 they arrived in Jefferson County, New York. He died 23 Jul 1820 Jefferson County, New York.
He married 5 Sep 1784 Westminster, Vermont
RUTH LANE, daughter of JOHN & OLIVE (JENNINGS) LANE. Ruth was born 15 Aug 1760 at Hadley, Massachusetts. In 1820 and 1830 the census places her in Watertown, Jefferson County NY. She applied for a pension in 1839. She died 12 Sep 1839 at Watertown.
2 i RUTH PHIPPEN
3 ii ZUBA PHIPPEN married WILLIAM MOORE
4 iii ASEPH PHIPPEN
5 iv SUSAN PHIPPEN married IRA ORVIS
6 v ENOS PHIPPEN married SUSAN STORY
7 vi HORATIO PHIPPEN married ELIZA TUTTLE
8 vii SALLY PHIPPEN married JOHN SINCLAIR
9 viii AMELIA PHIPPEN
10 ix CHESTER PHIPPEN
4. ASEPH PHIPPEN (son of SAMUEL & RUTH (LANE) PHIPPEN)
11 i JOHN PHIPPEN
12 ii HIRAM PHIPPEN
13 iii SAMUEL PHIPPEN
14 iv AMASA PHIPPEN
15 v RICHARD PHIPPEN
16 vi AMELIA PHIPPEN
17 vii ELECTA PHIPPEN
18 viii LUCINDA PHIPPEN
19 ix LOVINIA PHIPPEN
20 x GEORGE PHIPPEN
21 xi ARMENA PHIPPEN
5. SUSAN PHIPPEN (daughter of SAMUEL & RUTH (LANE) PHIPPEN). She was born in 1792 in Vermont. Perhaps the Sarah Ann Orvis of Clayton, who married Girvin Pierce 28 Mar 1849, is one of her daughters.
She married Mar 1811 or 1812 Watertown, Jefferson County, New York
IRA ORVIS who was the son of WILLIAM & RACHEL BROOKS ORVIS. He was born 2 Sep 1787 at Leyden, Franklin County, Massachusetts. He fought in the Battle of Sacket's Harbor. He served as a private in Capt Stephen Gifford's & Lieutenant Joseph Mayo's Company, 76th Regiment, New York militia, for 10 days at Sackets Harbor in Sept 1813, 2 days in May 1813, 30 days in July & Aug 1813, 30 days in Feb & Mar 1814, and 24 days July & Aug 1814. He received bounty land warrants for 40 & 120 acres. The 1830 census places him in the Town of Orleans; 1840 and 1850 in Lyme, and the 1860 and 1870 in the Town of Clayton. He died 23 Oct 1876 at Clayton, Jefferson County, New York
22 i daughter ORVIS
23 ii WILLIAM ORVIS married (1) AMANDA CLARK; (2) HANNAH (---)
24 iii daughter ORVIS
25 iv ALZINA ORVIS
26 v SAMUEL ORVIS married FOSTINIA DELINDA CHAPMAN
27 vi HORATIO ORVIS married (1) MARIA PETTIT; (2) ELIZABETH PRUYN
28 vii daughter ORVIS
7. HORATIO PHIPPEN (son of SAMUEL & RUTH (LANE) PHIPPEN) was born 8 Sep 1797 probably in Vermont. He died 20 May 1861 at Watertown, Jefferson County.
29 i HOMER PHIPPEN
30 ii CHAUNCEY PHIPPEN
31 iii ROSWELL
23. WILLIAM ORVIS (son of IRA & SUSAN (PHIPPEN) ORVIS) was born in 1814 in New York State.
He married (1)
32 i SUSAN ORVIS
33 ii CLARISSA ORVIS
34 iii ALVERA/ALVIN ORVIS
35 iv AMY ORVIS
36 v WILLIAM J. ORVIS
37 vi GEORGE ORVIS
38 vii BYRON ORVIS
WILLIAM married (2)
26. SAMUEL ORVIS (son of IRA & SUSAN (PHIPPEN) ORVIS) was born 12 Mar 1821 Brownville, New York. He died 26 Jun 1902 at Clayton, Jefferson County. He was buried at St. Lawrence Cemetery, Cape Vincent.
FOSTINIA DELINDA CHAPMAN who was born 1852.
39 i HORATIO ORVIS
40 ii ALZINA ORVIS
41 iii IRA ORVIS
42 iv JULIA ORVIS
43 v CARIE ORVIS
44 vi IDA ORVIS
27. HORATIO ORVIS (son of IRA & SUSAN (PHIPPEN) ORVIS) was born about 1823-5 at Pamelia, Jefferson, County, New York. According to the 1850 census, he was age 23, living with father Ira, grandfather William, and son Byron, in Lyme, Jefferson Co NY. He enlisted in Company C, 110th Regiment, New York Infantry Volunteers during the Civil War. He died 5 Jan 1864 at Sandy Creek, Oswego County, New York.
He married (1)
45 i BYRON ORVIS
He married (2)
46 i ALTHESTA ORVIS
47 ii SARAH LOUISE ORVIS
48 iii DEFORREST HORATIO
49 iv LETTY ELEANOR
50 v EVRY AMBROSE
62 Eureka Ave, Kensington, California 94707-1111
For further information, contact:
Return to Jefferson County NYGenWeb page
Return to City of Watertown
Copyright 2017 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page