COL. ANTHONY SPRAGUE, JR., of Weybridge, VT and Henderson, Jefferson Co., NY was born in Spencer, Massachusetts and died probably in Henderson. On 3 June 1790 he married ESTHER JONES, in Spencer. (VIR)
In the War of 1812 he served as a Lieutenant-Colonel in the 55th (Sprague's) Regiment of New York Militia from Feb. 27 to March 20, 1813. He settled in Henderson as one of the earliest, about 1813.
Children of Anthony Sprague and Esther Jones:
1. David, b 11 October 1790 in Spencer, Mass. and died 17 April 1864, Bishop St., NY; he married his cousin, Nancy Jones, on 21 Sept. 1817. She was born in Litchfield, NY and died 12 Feb. 1823 at 27 years. His second wife, whom he married on 19 October 1824, was Sally Butterfield, who was born 25 Oct. 1792 in Peru, VT; she died 12 March 1882 at 89 years, 4 months, 15 days.
a. Orville C. Sprague b 3 Nov. 1818 Henderson; d 23 June 1880
b. George R.; died 12 May 1827 at 18 months
c. Mahala b 10 July 1827 Henderson; on 9 Sept. 1847 she married George Whitfield Wright, who was born 20 Sept. 1821
d. Esther Alhira b 7 May 1829 Henderson; m. Albert G. Barney
e. Rev. Orren David Sprague b 7 Nov. 1834 Henderson; m. Helen Rhodman Rathbun on 19 Dec. 1862 at New Haven, Oswego Co., NY. She was b 7 July 1840 in New Haven and d 26 Aug. 1928.
1. Frank H. Sprague b 25 Feb. 1864 d 1940
2. Alice I. Sprague b 4 March 1866; d 15 Dec. 1890
3. Helen Sophia Sprague b 30 Sept. 1871; d 1961
4. Jennie M. Sprague b 17 Jan. 1877
5. Reta E. Sprague b 10 July 1878
f. Frances bc 1846
2. Esther, b 1807 d 1883; m. Abram Tracy. He was b 1809 at Ellisburg, and died 17 Oct. 1868 at Ellisburg. Buried Old Depauville Cemetery, Jeff. Co., NY. His parents were Caleb B. Tracy (1786-1870) and Susannah Colvin (1787-1853).
3. Emory, b 31 July 1794 in Weybridge, VT; he was a resident of Henderson, Jefferson Co., and a carpenter. He died 13 April 1869. His first wife was Jerusha, daughter of Stephen Thresher of Ellisburg, NY. She was b 24 Aug. 1795 and d 1821. After her death he married Marcia, daughter of William and Eleanor (Green) Johnson of Henderson. Her death was about Dec. 1891.
Emory had two children with Jerusha and ten with Marcia:
a. Frank, b. Aug. 1811 in Henderson; Served in the Mexican War; died 26 Nov. 1846 in Camp Brady, Mexico; married 20 Aug. 1835 at Sackett's Harbor, NY to Esther Holden b 24 Dec. 1817 Corinth, NY. She died 25 Dec. 1838 in Henderson.
1. DeForest A. Sprague b 23 May 1836 in Henderson; d 18 July 1898 Sackett's Harbor, NY.
b. Sally, b____; died before 1898.
c. Morrison E., b 26 Dec. 1825 and died 26 May 1872. He married Abigail Stevens, who was living in Ellisburg, NY in 1898.
d. Lewis Gosling b 17 July 1825; d 10 Sept.1921; living in Henderson in 1912.
1. Walter B. Sprague of Sault Ste. Marie, Mich.
2. George Sprague of Henderson, NY
3. Mrs. Clara Carpenter of Syracuse, NY
4. Mrs. Frank Wright
5. Mrs. Marion Seaton of Henderson, NY
e. William, b ____; died before 1898.
f. Ferdon A., b 12 April 1835 d Dec. 1918 in Denver, Colorado; m. 23 Jan. 1860 to Susan Emeline Snow. She was born 20 Aug. 1831, daughter of Tilley F. and Anna (Whitney) Snow. He was a steward on the steamer "Pacific" on Lake Superior in 1874. Became a resident of Denver, Colorado.
Children of Ferdon and Susan:
1. Mabel, b 11 Sept. 1861
2. Anna Marcia, b 16 Sept. 1863.
g. Daniel J. , 25 Nov. 1857 to Arminda D. Straton; resident of New York City in 1898.
h. Charles H., b 28 June 1841; m. 18 Feb. 1864 Martha A. Green of Henderson, N.Y. He enlisted October 1861 as a private in Co. K, 94th Reg., NY Vol. and served to July 23, 1865. He mustered out as adjutant of the Regiment and engaged in 23 big battles and many skirmishes; brevetted captain for meritorious service at the Battle of Five Forks. Charles was a merchant in Henderson until 1892 and by 1912 was in real estate in Watertown, NY.
i. Almont J., b 1845 an d 1920, a Civil War veteran; his wife, Julia A. White, was born 1848 and died 1907. They were residents of Henderson.
j. Marion J. b 1833- 1922 res. Henderson
k. Frances A., b ____m. O. B. Wright and became a resident of Omaha, Neb.
l. Maria H. b_____; died unmarried
4. Alonzo, b 23 July 1800 in Weybridge, VT and died 9 May 1884 in Orient, Iowa. He
married 1) on 12 October 1823 in Henderson, NY to Urania Brown Osgood, who was
born 30 July 1804 in Henderson and died 19 Jan. 1854 in Cleveland, Ohio, daughter of
Rev. Emory Osgood and Cynthia Stockwell. Alonzo married 2)Mrs. Harriet Wilbur,
who died on 5 October 1896. Captain Alonzo Sprague was a messenger boy for
the Army in the War of 1812, his father being Colonel of Militia at Sackett's Harbor.
Between the ages of 15 and 20, he resided on a farm near Henderson and then
embarked as a sailor on the Great Lakes, a life he followed for 45 years. He rose
from the lowest position to captain and was a part owner of a line of Propellers
consisting of the "Forest Queen", "M. B. Spalding", "Dunkirk" and others. He
was made Master Mason in Henderson in 1824. The move to Cleveland occurred
in 1845 and later to Orient, Iowa where he died in the home of his son, Eugene H.
Children of Alonzo Sprague and his two wives, 8 by the first in Henderson and one in Cleveland with his second wife:
a. Charles Wellington b 9 October 1824 and died 23 Oct. 1887. His wife, Dorcas G. Champlin, was born 7 Aug. 1828 and died 20 Oct. 1876.
1. daughter Eliza A. b 7 Sept. 1848 and d 12 Oct. 1896
2. son, Clark D. b 2 June 1863; d 21 March 1864
b. Frances Elvira b 23 April 1827; m. Levi Darling
c. Alonzo Welling b 28 June 1829
d. Oscar Clark b 22 Aug. 1833
e. Eugene Byron b 23 Feb. 1840; d 21 Sept. 1840 in Henderson
f. Eugenio Bruce, b 23 Feb. 1840; d 23 Feb. 1840 in Henderson
g. Harriet Ann Wood b 24 May 1841; d 24 May 1841 in Henderson
h. Eugene Herbert b 25 Aug. 1843
i. Jessie b 12 Aug. 1855/6; m. George Paine. She d 12 Aug. 1887 in Cleveland. Paine children: George and Clarence.
5. Appleton, bc 1805; died in Henderson 14 April 1887 at 82 years, 11 months. buried Evergreen Cemetery; m. Betsey Johnson who died 4 March 1831 at 34 years, 1 month. His second wife was Drucilla and she died 14 June 1905 at 81 years, 5 months, 22 days.
They had two children:
a. DeLoriston who m. Ruth Cleveland
b. Angeline, married ______Briggs
6. Polly, born 23 Aug. 1792 died 29 Dec. 1851, at 80 years, 4 months, 6 days; m. Asa Bishop; settled in Michigan about 1844. See Pioneer Bishop Family, this site. Asa was born 7 Nov. 1785 in Chesterfield, N.H., son of Captain John Bishop and his second wife, Serviah Kellogg. Polly and Asa married on 10 Jan. 1807 in Henderson, NY. Asa died 10 June1872. He was active in the War of 1812.
a. Harriet Bishop 1808-1885; m. Orsemus Spink
b. Roxana Bishop 1811-1866; m. Harley Harrington
c. Anthony Sprague Bishop 1812-1895; m. Clarinda Babcock
d. Susan Maria Bishop 1814-1897; m. Albert Hall
e. Adeline Sophronia Bishop 1817-1883; m. Alexander McNeil
f. Norris Stearns Bishop 1819-1864; m. Sarah Wright
g. Emily Sophia Bishop 1821- died young
h. Appleton Asa Bishop 1822-1849
i. John Kellogg Bishop 1827-1906; m Sarah Knapp
j. Abigail Jane Bishop 1829; William Babcock
k. Laura Sophia Bishop 1833-1881; m. Jonathan Lewis
Sources: Sprague Families in America by Warren V. Sprague, M.D., pub. The Tuttle Co., Rutland, VT 1913; Sprague Project; Vital Records; cemetery records/stones; Jeff. Co. Genweb site; census records; Historic Newspapers of NY
Information contributed by volunteer Marilyn Sapienza.
Copyright 2019 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page