JONATHAN WHEELER was born 18 Mar 1773 in Chesterfield, NH, son of JAMES WHEELER and RACHEL ________. He married CATHERINE BARRUS in Dummerston, VT on 1 Mar 1795. She was born to JONATHAN and MARCY BARRUS in Western (now Warren), MA on 1 July 1774. Jonathan and Catherine lived in Chesterfield for a few years, then traveled through Vermont, and onward to Jefferson Co., NY.
In 1810, Jonathan and Catherine lived in Ellisburg. According to his General Land Office Military Warrant (No.2.218), Jonathan was a private in Captain McNitt’s Co., New York Militia during the War of 1812. By 1830, Jonathan appears in Oswego Twp, Oswego Co., NY, but Catherine has died sometime between 1820 and 1830 (location of her grave is unknown). He and his children went next to Cuyahoga Co., Ohio. By 1850, he is living in Dover, Lenawee Co., MI with daughter Hannah Warren, but he went to Aurelius, Ingham Co., MI about 1853, where he bought land using his War of 1812 military warrant. His daughter Clarissa Upham’s family lived with him. Ingham Co. MI Probate Court records state that Jonathan Wheeler died about 15 Mar 1861 in Ovid, Clinton Co., MI. The location of his grave is unknown.
Children of Jonathan Wheeler and Catherine(?):
1) John Wheeler b. 23 Jan 1799 (NH/VT) d. 27 May 1878 (MI)
Married Relief Robb
2) James Wheeler b. about 1800 (NH) d. before 1870? (MI)
Married Emily Wood
3) Jonathan Wheeler b. 13 Jun 1801 (NH) d. 2 Apr 1883 (IA)
Married 1) Nancy Olds 2) Ann Edgerton
4) Edith/Eady Wheeler b. 5 Jul 1803 (VT) d. 24 Mar 1866 (OH)
Married 1) John McGlenn 2) Henry Polley
5) Rachel Wheeler b. 1 Jun 1805 (VT) d. 16 Apr 1885 (MI)
Married 1) David Fales 2) Asa Olds
6) Clarissa Wheeler b. about 1808 (NY) d. 8 Sep 1876 (MI)
Married Alvin Alonzo Upham
7) Hannah Wheeler b. 1810 (NY) d. before 1880 (MI)
Married Joseph S Warren
8) Elvira/Alvira Wheeler b. 27 Jun 1812 (NY) d. 11 Jan 1888 (OH)
Married 1) Joseph Wyeth 2) Hiram Bebee
1) The History of Chesterfield, Cheshire County, N.H., by Oran E. Randall, 1882.
2) Vital Records of Dummerston, VT, Book 1, pg. 89.
3) General Land Office Military Warrant 2.218, Jonathan Wheeler.
4) Ingham County MI Probate File #416, Jonathan Wheeler.
5) Marriage of Clara Wheeler Foster to Hartman Vreeland, St. Johns, Clinton Co., MI
BPC: Emailed to Nan Dixon by Vanessa Herring, firstname.lastname@example.org on 22 Nov 2019. Received by me 1 Jan 2020.
Copyright 2020 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page