1. JONATHAN RUSSEL (father of JOSEPH RUSSEL) was christened on 15 October 1749 at Salem, Essex County, MA, and was the son of JONATHAN. It was in Danvers, MA where they began their family, then moved to Middleton, MA and then to Danvers and then to Wendell, MA, which was a small village in the hills of the Connecticut Valley. Jonathan Russel's name is listed in the 1790 census of Wendell.
He married at Middleton, Essex Co., MA on 17 January 1771.
RUTH HUTCHINSON, the daughter of Josiah and Sarah Hutchinson who was baptized on 16 September 1750 at Middleton, Essex, MA.
Children of JONATHAN RUSSEL and RUTH HUTCHINSON:
2 i JOSEPH RUSSEL born 19 July 1771/2 at Danvers, MA
3 ii BETTY RUSSEL (twin) bapt. 19 September 1773 – Middleton, MA
4 iii RUTH RUSSEL bapt. 19 September 1773 – died 2 August 1790 at Wendell, MA
5 iv AARON RUSSEL bapt. 1 October 1780 at Danvers, MA
6 v JONATHAN RUSSEL bapt. 1 October 1780 at Danvers, MA
7 vi PHEBE RUSSEL born 19 October 1785 at Wendell, MA. she married on 19 March 1805 in MA REUBEN LOCKE, son of Ebenezer Locke and Hannah Randall. Phebe and Reuben are buried in the LeRay Cemetery, Jefferson Co., NY*
8 vii JONATHAN RUSSEL 2nd bapt. 19 Sept 1786 at Wendell, MA-died 30 July 1808 at Wendell, MA
9 viii male child died 30 November 1790
*FOOTNOTE for Phebe who married Reuben Locke. Lock's Village was north of the borderline of Shutesbury, MA and partially in Wendell, MA.
2. JOSEPH RUSSEL, son of JONATHAN RUSSEL and RUTH HUTCHINSON, was born 1771/2. JOSEPH was of Wendell, MA and she of Montague at the time of the marriage. JOSEPH was one of the original twenty founders of the Congregational Church in Wendell, in November of 1774. The founders were all male but within a few days thirteen female members were added to the rolls.
JOSEPH and POLLY RUSSEL left the hill town of Wendell for the forests of Jefferson County, NY, prior to 1820. In the 1820 federal census JOSEPH and POLLY were living at LeRay Township; he was a farmer over 45 years of age, with a wife also over 45 years. Their family included one male between 16 and 25 years, and two males and one female all under age 10.
Joseph died 23 October 1853, at 82 years, and is buried in the Orleans Four Corners Cemetery, Jefferson County, NY.
He married on 1 April 1795 at Montague, MA
POLLY W. BENJAMIN who was born in 1775 but no record of her death has been found. She was the daughter of ABEL BENJAMIN who married on 22 March 1759 at Hardwick, Worcester Co., MA to SUSANNAH CARPENTER. ABEL died at Wendell, MA on 27 October 1808. ABEL BENJAMIN was the son of CALEB BENJAMIN and ABIGAIL LIVERMORE. SUSANNAH CARPENTER was born 29 February 1740 at Hardwick, MA, the daughter of BENJAMIN CARPENTER and his second wife, SARAH POWERS, whom he married on 8 June 1738.
Children of JOSEPH RUSSEL and POLLY W. BENJAMIN
10 i SUSANNA CARPENTER RUSSEL, born 3 Sept. 1795; married at Roxbury, Litchfield Co., Connecticut, about 1817, to ASAHEL HOUGH, who was born 1792 and died in 1874. They lived in Alexandria Township, Jefferson Co., NY.
11 ii POLLY RUSSEL born 3 November 1797
12 iii JOSEPH HUTCHINSON RUSSEL born 5 April 1800
13 iv ALDEN RUSSEL born 3 October 1802; died 1857
14 v SALLY RUSSEL, born 25 July 1805
15 vi ROXANNA RUSSEL, born 16 January 1808
Another daughter and two sons were born to the couple between 1810 and 1820, however, no further information was found.
10. SUSANNA CARPENTER RUSSEL, daughter of JOSEPH RUSSEL and POLLY W. BENJAMIN died 3 February 1854 at 58 years, 5 months and is buried in the Brookside Cemetery at Plessis, Jefferson County, NY
She married about 1817
ASAHEL HOUGH, son of BUEL HOUGH and ELIZABETH TORRANCE, another early pioneer. ASAHEL was born 12 August 1792 in Roxbury, Litchfield, CT and died in Alexandria Township on 9 September 1874 at 82 years and 28 days and is also buried in the Plessis Cemetery. ASAHEL was drafted on 25 August 1863 and paid $300 commutation. In the census of 1850 of Alexandria Bay, NY, JOSEPH and POLLY RUSSEL are living in the household of SUSANNA and ASAHEL HOUGH.
After wife, Susanna, died Asahel went to live in the household of their son, Asahel Hough, Jr.
Known children of SUSANNA CARPENTER RUSSEL and ASAHEL HOUGH:
16 i ASAHEL HOUGH JR was born July 1828, died 1912.
17 ii NELSON HOUGH born 12 June 1834.
18 iii HENRY A. HOUGH born May 1836 in NY.
16. ASAHEL HOUGH JR, son of SUSANNA CARPENTER RUSSEL and ASAHEL HOUGH was born July1828, In 1900 he was living with son Charles E. and his wife, Elizabeth. Had daughter Fanny by Kate who died 1853 at 1 yr. And buried in Plessis Cemetery, Jefferson Co.
He married (1) on 6 May 1848
CATHERINE/KATE BARTLETT who died in 1852 at age 23 in Alexandria Township.
Child of ASAHEL HOUGH JR and CATHERINE/KATE BARTLETT:
19 i FANNY HOUGH d 1853 ae 1 yr. and buried in Plessis Cemetery, Jefferson Co
He married in 1864 (2)
SARAH ELIZABETH (---), who was born 1835 and died in 1920. She is buried in the Brookside Cemetery at Plessis.
Children of ASAHEL HOUGH JR and SARAH ELIZABETH (---):
20 i CHARLES E. HOUGH born May 1873, d 1962; m ELIZABETH (---)
21 ii JENNIE M. HOUGH b June 1881, d 1912.
17. NELSON HOUGH, son of SUSANNA CARPENTER RUSSEL and ASAHEL HOUGH was born 12 June 1834. He enlisted in the Civil War in 1861 at Alexandria, for a two year service and mustered out at the end of his term. In the 1900 census of Washington, DC, there is a NELSON HOUGH living in the US Soldiers Home, age 66; he is single and gives a birth date of June 1834, born NY. He also stated that his parents were born in Connecticut.
MARIETTA (---), who was born in 1836.
Children of NELSONand MARIETTA (---) HOUGH:
22 i SARAH E.
23 ii EMILY J. HOUGH
24 iii NELLIE HOUGH b 1868, m CHARLES O. WAGONER
18. HENRY A. HOUGH son of SUSANNA CARPENTER RUSSEL and ASAHEL HOUGH was born May 1836 in NY.
He married (1)
MARY (---) who was born 1830 She died 1888 and is buried in the Walton St. Cem. In Alexandria Bay.
He married (2) in 1880
Children of HENRY A. HOUGH and OLIVE (---):
25 i EVA A. HOUGH, born 1870.
VIR, Massachusetts, Connecticut, NY; census records; Hist. Of the Ct. Valley, Vol. 2 by Louis Everts 1879; George E. Russell, genealogist for the Russell families in America; cemetery records; various Russel family personal records; church records
Return to Town of Orleans
Copyright 2016 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page