3 ii LUCINDA SLOAN or her cousin Lucinda married BENJAMIN WILSON
4 iii TRYPHENA SLOAN married THOMAS HENDERSON
James served as a sergeant in the Massachusetts' Artillery during the Revolution. He enlisted from Williamstown in Captain Clark's company, Col. Benjamin Simond's Berkshire County regiment. After 1790 he removed to Norway, Herkimer, NY, and resided there until about 1810, when he removed to Leray, Jefferson, NY.
JAMES married, on 08 Jun 1780 in Williamstown, Berkshire, MA, PHEBE STRATTON, daughter of Major ISAAC STRATTON and MARY FOX. PHEBE was born in Williamstown on 09 Apr 1762. She died on 09 Feb 1838 in Leray, Jefferson, NY and is buried at the Evans Mills Old cemetery. According to his pension record, JAMES died in Leray on 10 Feb 1813, but there is no record of his burial.
Children, SLOAN (first three born in Williamstown and the last eight in Norway or Newport, Herkimer, NY)
5 i CLARISSA (CLARA) SLOAN
2. JAMES SLOAN was born in Westfield, Hampden, MA on 24 Dec 1759. He resided with his family in Williamstown, Berkshire, MA, and is presumed to have been a close relative of General Samuel Sloan, whose origins also derive from Fairfield County, CT. He worked as a blacksmith.
6 ii OLIVE SLOAN married ALANSON LYON
7 iii STEPHEN DEWEY (S.D.) SLOAN married TRYPHOSA DODGE
8 iv ANNA SLOAN
9 v MARY SLOAN married (1) SILAS MAY; (2) Mr. MARSHALL
10 vi TRYPHENY SLOAN (1795-1847) is buried at Evans Mills
11 vii MARTHA SLOAN
12 viii DANIEL DEWEY (D.D.) SLOAN married JULIA R.
13 ix ABIGAIL SLOAN
14 x CHLOE SLOAN married VOLNEY CHAPIN
15 xi THOMAS HENDERSON SLOAN d.y
16 xii DELIA SLOAN married LEVI ROOT
NOTE: Isaac and Tryphena Sloan above are recorded in Jefferson County cemetery records as husband and wife, but they were actually siblings.
19 ii REBECCA LYON married EBENEZER CALHOUN
20 iii RUSSEL LYON married SALINA ALLEN
21 iv SOPHIA LYON married REUBEN J. LOCKE
22 v HENRY LYON married MARGARET ANN STOKES
23 vi HIRAM A. LYON married (1) REBECCA L. SEELEY, (2) SUSANNA INGLE
24 vii RICHARD LYON married (1) CAROLINE FULLER; (2) CLARISSA SHAVER; (3) ANGELINE R.
A carpenter and millwright, Stephen D. (often known as S.D.) served as a trustee of the Baptist church in Leray, as well as town supervisor several years during the 1830's. He was among the first trustees of Evans Mills cemetery. In 1832 Stephen testified in Leray in support of his father-in-law's Revolutionary War pension application. He died on 23 Jan 1875 in Evans Mills.
STEPHEN married on 05 Feb 1816 in Newport, Herkimer, NY at the home of the bride
TRYPHOSA DODGE, daughter of JOEL DODGE and SARAH BREWSTER. After her husband's death Tryphosa returned to Newport, Herkimer, NY to reside with her sister Lydia (Mrs. Jefferson) Tillinghast. Born in about 1795, perhaps in New Ashford, Berkshire, MA, Tryphosa died in Newport on 02 Feb 1885 and is buried with Stephen at the Evans Mills Old cemetery. Samples of her handiwork including an antique blue coverlet sewn in 1838 were sold at auction in Newcastle, Maine in 2007.
25 i EDWARD J. SLOAN married NANCY A.; no children.
8. STEPHEN DEWEY SLOAN was born in Massachusetts on 15 Feb 1789. Unlike his older siblings, his birth was not recorded in Williamstown. He purchased and sold land in both Herkimer and Jefferson counties and served in the War of 1812. He began his military service at Newport, Herkimer, NY, and was discharged at Sackets Harbor.
27 ii AUGUSTA LUCENE MAY married JAMES LAWRENCE ELWOOD; sons included George May Elwood and James Nelson Elwood of Rochester
28 iii GEORGE SILAS MAY (1818-1838)
While still living at Jefferson County, DANIEL married, JULIA R. before 1834. She was born 28 Mar 1809 in Vermont, and died 10 Dec 1899 in Dexter or Grand Rapids, MI.
29 i MARY SLOAN married JOHN T. (J.T.) COOLIDGE
13. DANIEL DEWEY SLOAN was born in Norway, Herkimer, NY on 28 Nov 1799. A carpenter and millwright, he was known as Daniel D. or D.D. Sloan. He served as Leray town supervisor in 1839, a few years before he removed to Michigan. While a resident there he built Dover Mills, and was appointed postmaster of Rose Lake in Washtenaw County. Daniel died 29 Jan 1861, perhaps in Dexter, Washtenaw, MI, and was buried at Forest Hill cemetery in Ann Arbor, Block 32.
30 ii JULIA E. SLOAN d. y
CHLOE married on 08 Oct 1829 in Rochester, Monroe County, NY.
VOLNEY CHAPIN, a businessmanson, son of Dan Chapin and Deborah Wright. In 1833 they settled in Ann Arbor, Washtenaw, MI and became a prominent family there. Volney was born 21 Apr 1803 in Burlington, Otsego, NY, and died in Ann Arbor on 13 Mar 1869. Chloe died there on 15 Jan 1876. They are buried at Forest Hill cemetery in Ann Arbor, Block 32.
31 i CHARLES ALBERT CHAPIN married FRANCES ELIZA KINGSLEY
15. CHLOE SLOAN was born 01 May 1802 in Newport, Herkimer, NY. According to her husband's biography, Chloe studied in schools at Moravia and Skaneateles, NY, and taught school before her marriage.
32 ii VOLNEY CHAPIN married EMMA C. REECE
33 iii AUGUSTA LUCENE CHAPIN d. y.
34 iv MARY MAY CHAPIN married SAMUEL SNOW WALKER
DELIA married LEVI ROOT, son of Aaron Root and Betsey Green, on 26 Feb 1835. Levi was born 30 Apr 1808, perhaps in Leray, and died 19 Feb 1887 in Pamelia. He is buried at Parish Hill cemetery in Pamelia. Delia died 31 Aug 1876.
35 i XIMENIA ROOT married ELLIOT E. EARL
36 ii PHEBE ELIZABETH JANE ROOT married E. WHEELER
37 iii V.C. ROOT d.y.
38 iv MARY OLIVE DELIA ROOT married JOHN P. PITCHER; son PERLEY A. PITCHER (1877-1939) served in the New York State Senate.
17. DELIA SLOAN was born 21 Feb 1807 in Norway or Newport, Herkimer, NY.
Tripheny SloanEbenezer Calhoun Salina Allen Joel Dodge Edward J. Sloan David Coolidge
For further information, contact:
Copyright 2009 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
Return to Jefferson County Genweb page
Return to Town of page