1. MICHAEL F. SWEETMAN was born about 1803 in Tribes Hill, Montgomery, NY. During the early 1840's he removed to the area of Lyme known by 1849 as Cape Vincent, Jefferson, NY. Michael's parents are unknown. Two men who could have been his father include Isaac Sweatman of Canajoharie, Montgomery, NY who married Sarah Smith "of the Hellenburgh," or Michael H. Sweetman of NJ, then Canajoharie, Montgomery, NY, then Boylston, Oswego, NY and Ellisburg, Jefferson, NY. If the latter is true, Michael would have been a brother to Gordon Sweetman of Ellisburg and Mannsville, who is buried in Lorraine.
Michael's marriage to MADGALENA SISCO or FRANCISCO was recorded on July 6, 1835 at the Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of Florida, Minaville, Montgomery, NY with the notation that the ceremony took place at Caughnawaga (now Fonda). A little over five years later, the young family moved to Lyme (Cape Vincent).
Magdalena was born in about 1813 in Montgomery or Fulton County, NY, probably in Johnstown. She was a daughter of Revolutionary War veteran Abraham Sisco of Pompton Plains, Bergen, NJ and later Amsterdam, Montgomery, NY, and Sarah Helmer of Saratoga County. She was a niece of "Tannie Sisco, the Revolutionary War Drummer Boy from Macopin." After her daughter Margaret's death in the 1840's, Magdalena herself was called Margaret. Her mother Sarah lived with the Sweetman family in Cape Vincent until at least 1860, when she was 92.
Michael worked as a carpenter and joiner. During the early 1860's he moved his entire family across the Saint Lawrence River to Wolfe Island. There he ran a carpenter's shop, and was a member of the Church of England.
Michael died of consumption September 6, 1881 on Wolfe Island, Frontenac, Ontario and is buried at the Saint Lawrence United Church Cemetery. After his death, Margaret moved back across the Saint Lawrence River to reside with her daughter Ida Sweetman Brooker in Clayton. Margaret died in Clayton, Jefferson, NY on February 14, 1884 and is buried at the Saint Lawrence United Church Cemetery on Wolfe Island.
Children, SWEETMAN (the first three were born in Montgomery County, the next six in Cape Vincent, and the last on Wolfe Island):
2 i. HENRY SWEETMAN married ELIZABETH
3 ii. MINERVA SWEETMAN (twin) married GORDON B. HELMER
4 iii. MARGARET SWEETMAN (twin) d. y.
5 iv. JOHN. R. SWEETMAN married MARION R. HERRICK
6 v. CHARLES SWEETMAN married ELIZABETH COXANN
7 vi. Daughter SWEETMAN d. y. of scarlet fever
8 vii. MARTIN SWEETMAN d. y., buried at Cape Vincent
9 viii. IDA F. SWEETMAN married Captain WILLIAM BROOKER
10 ix. ELLEN SWEETMAN married WILLIAM DAVIS of Adams NY
11 x. GEORGE SWEETMAN
2. HENRY SWEETMAN was born about 1836 in Montgomery County, NY (probably Johnstown). A carpenter like his father, he was last recorded as living in or near Clayton, Jefferson, NJ in July 1912. Henry married ELIZABETH before 1870. She was born in March 1844 in New York, and died after 1899 in or near Clayton, Jefferson, NY.
12 i. CORA BELLE SWEETMAN married BERTIE GRAY of Ottawa
3. MINERVA SWEETMAN (twin) was born September 4, 1841 in Johnstown, Montgomery, NY. Before her marriage she worked as a seamstress. A resident of Wolfe Island for many years, she returned to Jefferson County with her family in about 1889 and resided in Clayton. Minerva died in Rutland, Jefferson, NY on July 15, 1912. She is buried at Cedar Grove Cemetery in Lyme.
Minerva married GORDON B. HELMER, son of Phillip and Belinda Helmer, during the 1860's. Gordon was born in Ontario in 1842, and died in Depauville, Jefferson, NY on March 20, 1910. He worked as a yeoman farmer and was a member of the Methodist church. He was also a member of Court Wolfe, No. 406, I.O.F. Gordon is buried at Cedar Grove Cemetery in Lyme.
13 i. WILLIAM H. (BILL) HELMER married FANNIE M. GARRISON
14 ii. MATILDA (TILLIE) HELMER married RUFUS H. HOUGH
15 iii. MARIE IDA HELMER married (1) WILSON H. HOWARD; (2) SIDNEY EDWARD WHITE; (3) FRANK JAMES LANCOR
16 iv. ANNIE E. HELMER married HARRY KITTO
* * *
17 v. Minerva had three other children who died before 1910.
4. JOHN R. SWEETMAN was born November 7, 1844 at Lyme (later known as Cape Vincent), Jefferson, NY or Wolfe Island, Frontenac, Ontario, Canada. Between 1865 and 1870 he left Jefferson County to reside in Hope, Hamilton, NY at the Maple Grove-Hardscrabble area near the Steenburg School. This area has since been abandoned and returned to wilderness. Although the homestead was inside Hamilton County, the road began at Maple Grove Road in close proximity to Northville in Fulton County.
On October 17, 1868 John married MARION R. HERRICK. She was a daughter of Nelson Herrick and Angeline DeLong, both of Duanesburg, Schenectady, NY. Nelson Herrick was a great-grandson of Revolutionary War veteran Capt. Elijah Herrick of Preston, New London, CT, Amenia, Dutchess, NY and Duanesburg, Schenectady, NY. In 1870 and 1880 Nelson lived in Hope, Hamilton, NY adjacent to his daughter and son-in-law. Marion (or Mary) was born January 28, 1850 in Duanesburg.
During the 1880's this Sweetman family continued to reside near the Hamilton/Fulton county line Just above Northville, Northampton, Fulton, NY where many of their children were born. After the turn of the century they also lived in Broadalbin, Perth and Johnstown in Fulton County. John died in Schenectady on January 30, 1930. Marion died December 17, 1930 in Detroit, Wayne, MI at the home of her daughter Ida Sweetman Shutts. Both John and Mary are buried at Prospect Hill Cemetery in Northville. They had sixteen known children.
20 i. ANNIE ORRISSA SWEETMAN married PETER L. ANDERSON
21 ii IDA M. SWEETMAN married WARREN E. SHUTTS
22 iii ELLA W. SWEETMAN married (1) PLATT; (2) BURTON HYSER SHELDON
23 iv GEORGE HENRY SWEETMAN married (1) BESSIE WILE; (2) ANNA B. SPENCER; (3) MAE DEMAREST
24 v LEONARD D. SWEETMAN d. y. of diphtheria
25 vi EMMA M. SWEETMAN
26 vii SATIE M. (SARAH) SWEETMAN married (1) JOHN LEO ROURKE; (2) WILLIAM LOUIS SCHICK
27 viii THANKFUL BELLE SWEETMAN
28 ix HARRY LAWN SWEETMAN married GRACE
29 x ELMER H. SWEETMAN d. y. of diphtheria
30 xi FLORENCE MAY (FLOSSIE) SWEETMAN married WILLIAM H. ROARICK
31 xii CHARLES EMMETT SWEETMAN married MYRTLE LAWTON
32 xiii LIBBIE L. SWEETMAN d. y.
33 xiv LILLIAN G. SWEETMAN d. y.
34 xv SWEETMAN d. y.
35 xvi MAUDE R. SWEETMAN d. y.
36 xvii LEONA MARION SWEETMAN married (1) JOHN MINLICH EAGAN, JR.; (2) GLENN D. BARNES
6. CHARLES SWEETMAN was born in about 1846 in Lyme (later known as Cape Vincent), Jefferson, NY. On July 4, 1870, he married ELIZABETH COXANN. Charles died after July 1912.
37 i EMMA SWEETMAN
38 ii JOHN SWEETMAN
9. IDA F. SWEETMAN was born on April 1, 1852 in Cape Vincent, Jefferson, NY. In about 1874 she married Capt. WILLIAM BROOKER, son of Albert Brooker and Margaret Edwards. William was born August 4, 1839 in Clayton, Jefferson, NY. A blacksmith as well as a sailor, he died in Schenectady, NY on May 21, 1917. Ida died in Schenectady on December 8, 1922. Both are buried at the Clayton Village cemetery in Clayton, Jefferson, NY.
39 i LEOLA BROOKER d. y.
40 ii HATTIE M. BROOKER married ROBERT HAINES ROGERS
13. WILLIAM H. (BILL) HELMER was born in January 1870 on Wolfe Island, Frontenac, Ontario, Canada. On February 25, 1894 in Rochester, Monroe, NY he married FANNIE M. GARRISON, daughter of Garrett Garrison and Christie Ann Ranous. Fannie was born in January 1868 at Napanee, Ontario. A grocery deliveryman in Watertown for several years, Bill died in Rochester on November 3, 1909 and was buried at North Watertown cemetery. Fannie remarried to FRED A. WOODWARD and later to GEORGE STEVENS. She died in Watertown on May 29, 1935 and is buried at North Watertown cemetery.
41 i HELEN HELMER married ADAMS
42 ii DELLA GRETA HELMER married SHERMAN HOBERT GRANT
43 iii ADELAIDE HELMER married (1) ALBERT L. KENYON; (2) ALEXANDER WILLIAM BRONK; (3) BILL COMPTON
44 iv GORDON R. HELMER d. y.
45 v MURIEL A. HELMER married (1) ALMON CHARLES DEWITT; (2) JEFFERSON FREDERICK HERROTH
14. MATILDA (TILLIE) HELMER was born on January 2, 1874 at Wolfe Island, Frontenac, Ontario. On September 30, 1891 she married RUFUS H. HOUGH, who was born in Canada on June 18, 1870. Tillie died after 1929 and Rufus in 1932, both presumably in Watertown, Jefferson, NY. They were buried at Sanford Corners cemetery in Calcium, Jefferson, NY.
46 i HARRY G. HOUGH married PAULINE WHITE
47 ii ALTA MINERVA HOUGH married HAROLD LESLIE WEAVER
48 iii CLIFFORD RAYMOND HOUGH
49 iv HOUGH d.y.
15. MARIE IDA HELMER was born on June 23, 1880 at Wolfe Island, Frontenac, Ontario. Her birth record lists her name as Ida Maria Sweetman. In about 1899 she married WILSON H. HOWARD, who was born in about May 1872 in Pinckney, Lewis, NY? Wilson died of a sudden heart attack on November 27, 1909 and was buried at North Watertown cemetery. Marie later married SIDNEY EDWARD WHITE, and after him, FRANK JAMES LANCOR. Marie died August 4, 1958 in Watertown and was buried at North Watertown cemetery.
50 i PERLEY WILSON HOWARD married MARGARET CLARKE?
20. ANNIE ORISSA SWEETMAN was born December 13, 1869 in Northville, Fulton, NY. In 1889 she married PETER L. ANDERSON, son of Newell Anderson and Mary Campbell. Peter was born November 27, 1865 in Broadalbin, Fulton, NY and died May 27, 1919 in Gloversville, Fulton, NY. Annie, who raised her nephew DeForest H. Sweetman Anderson, died on June 18, 1952 in Gloversville. The family is buried at Prospect Hill Cemetery in Gloversville.
51 i BULAH L. ANDERSON d.y.
52 ii JASPER P. ANDERSON d.y.
21. IDA M. SWEETMAN was born February 9, 1871 in Northville, Fulton, NY. In about 1893 she married WARREN E. SHUTTS. Ida died after 1930, perhaps in Detroit, Wayne, MI.
53. i. MABLE SHUTTS
22. ELLA W. SWEETMAN was born March 16, 1873 in Northville, Fulton, NY. Ella died April 27, 1914 in Gloversville, Fulton, NY.
She married (1) PLATT.
She married (2) BURTON HYSER SHELDON, born July 10, 1878.
Children, PLATT and SHELDON:
54 i. GARY PLATT
55. ii. BEULAH SHELDON
23. GEORGE HENRY SWEETMAN was born January 25, 1875 in Hope, Hamilton, NY or Northville, Fulton, NY. Before 1906 he married BESSIE WILE, who was the mother of his child. On December 24, 1910 he married ANNA B. SPENCER. On November 2, 1929 he married MAE DEMAREST, daughter of Wesley Demarest and Lydia Hall. Mae was born August 2, 1888 in Broadalbin, Fulton, NY and died July 7, 1951 in Gloversville. George died December 23, 1946. The couple was buried at Prospect Hill cemetery.
Child, SWEETMAN (was raised by his aunt Annie Orrissa Sweetman Anderson):
56. i. DEFOREST H. SWEETMAN ANDERSON married GERALDINE A. DILLENBECK
26. SATIE M. (SARAH) SWEETMAN was born February 14, 1881 in Northville, Fulton, NY or Hope, Hamilton, NY. In about 1915 she married JOHN LEO ROURKE. John was born in New York on June 1, 1887, and died after 1920. After 1929 she married WILLIAM LOUIS SCHICK. William was born in New York on December 25, 1879. They lived in Schenectady, NY in 1930.
57. i. GERTRUDE H. ROURKE
28. HARRY LAWN SWEETMAN was born September 12, 1884 in Johnstown, Fulton, NY? He married GRACE before 1904. The family resided at Albany, NY in 1920.
58. LEORA SWEETMAN
30. FLORENCE MAY (FLOSSIE) SWEETMAN was born November 16, 1888 in Northville, Fulton, NY? In about 1910 she married WILLIAM HENRY ROARICK, who was born November 20, 1884 in Schoharie County, NY? William died in 1956 and Florence in 1965, both presumably in Gloversville, Fulton, NY.
59. i MERRILL S. ROARICK married MARION LONG
60. ii GERELDINE K. ROARICK married WILLIAM J. DAY
61. iii HERMAN GEORGE ROARICK married GENEVIEVE
62. iv ELIZABETH M. ROARICK married RUDOLPH SMRTIC
31. CHARLES EMMETT SWEETMAN was born April 4, 1890 in Hope, Hamilton, NY. Before 1914 he married MYRTLE LAWTON, daughter of Herbert Lawton and Helen M. Hall. Myrtle was born June 20, 1897 in Broadalbin, Fulton, NY and died August 3, 1977 in Johnstown, Fulton, NY. Charles died on April 20, 1973 in Johnstown. The couple is buried there at Ferndale cemetery.
63 i MARJORIE SWEETMAN married VOLKERT CHARLES (VIC) WHITING
64 ii MARIAN R. SWEETMAN married ALBERT EUGENE JOHNSON
65 iii BERNICE SWEETMAN married EDWARD J. SEELEY
66 iv CHARLES EMMETT SWEETMAN married SHIRLEY MARCENE JONES
67 v VIRGINIA MARIE SWEETMAN married (1) LEON WILLIAM HILLMAN; (2) HAROLD A. HOYT
68 vi RUTH ELIZABETH SWEETMAN d. y.
69 vii SWEETMAN d. y.
70 viii JAMES HERBERT SWEETMAN married ANN L. BADOLATO
71 ix PETER SWEETMAN d. y.
36. LEONA MARION SWEETMAN was born September 5, 1896 in Northville, Fulton, NY. On December 31, 1914 in Johnstown, Fulton, NY she married JOHN MINLICH EAGAN, JR., son of John Minlich Eagan, Sr. and Mary Kinney. John was born October 23, 1893 in Johnstown. A veteran of World War I, he died in Johnstown on January 21, 1926. Leona later married GLENN D. BARNES, son of Demott R. Barnes and Carrie Emma O'Dell. Leona died on April 29, 1976 in Mount Dora, Lake, FL and is buried at St. Joseph cemetery, Weedsport, Cayuga, NY.
Children, EAGAN, all born in Johnstown, Fulton, NY:
72 i. Son EAGAN d.y.
73 ii. CLEMENT MICHAEL EAGAN married EUNICE MARIE HERRMANN
74 iii. Daughter EAGAN d.y.
For further information, contact:
James M. Eagan
Return to Jefferson County NYGenWeb page
Return to Jefferson County Pioneers page
Return to Town of Cape Vincent
Copyright 2017 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project
If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact,
County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or
Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.
Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page