JEFFERSON COUNTY, NEW YORK


TOWN OF THERESA CHRONOLOGY


Contributed by Gerald and Margaret Desormeau


1810----High Falls cleared
1812----Named Theresa for James D. LeRay's daughter
1817----Lots susrveyed by Musgrove Evans for a village.
----------Anson Cheeseman settled here
1819----Stage house built for LeRay at present site of Getman House.
---------- Jesse Doolittle settled.
---------- Allen Cole settled, his daughter born 6 May 1819; first birth in village.
1820----Archibald Fisher arrived.
----------First school in Mrs. Castleman's home. She was teacher.
----------First store opened by Ebenezer Lull.
1821----Stage house burned.
----------Wood school house built on Sand Hill
1822-----May 8, first post office established in Theresa.
----------First doctor, James Brooks settled.
----------American House built
----------Nathan Flower arrived and built a fulling mill; purchased water rights from Azariah Walton.
1823----First interment made in old cemetery
1824----Brick tavern built by Archibald Fisher, replacing LeRay Stage house. Bricks manufactured by Benjamin Barnes, locally
----------Masonic Lodge formed
1825----Presbyterian church organized
----------John LaFarge house built by John Rotiers, one mile out in clearing
1833----Mormons arrived in Theresa
1838----Union church built combining Methodist and Presbyterian faiths
1839----Dam built for Anson Ranney at upper falls and saw mill erected on left bank of river.
1840----Brooklyn side school built, called District # 7; present day town storage building.
1841----April 15, Town of Theresa formed.
----------Anson Ranney had lots surveyed on river road by Jason Clark, now 208 Riverside Ave.
1843----Britton chair factory built
1848----Episcopal church built
----------Jan. 1, the Theresa Chronical was published by Eliza Church Burt.
1850----Methodist Church built on Commercial Street
1859----May 12, fire destroyed businesses on the north side of the river
----------Also the wooden bridge by Nathan Flower's mill.
1860----John Collis, partner of Nathan Flower, rebuilt mill as a clothing mill.
----------Methodist Church burned by children playing with matches.
1862----New Methodist Church dedicated on corner of Church & River Street
1863----Great flood caused havoc, carried away covered bridge in the village
1866----Stone school built on Sand Hill
1871----June 29, Theresa Village incorporated.
1872----December 9, first train arrived in village, the U.BR, a division of R.W. & O Railroad.
1880----April 20, Flower descendants had new brick Presbyterian Church constructed
1882----In October, G.A.R. post # 306 established by G.W. Flower
1884----Oakwood Cemetery established and laid out by surveyor Perrine
1886----November 1, The Theresa Sentinel was published by James W. Van Slyke
1889----Brittan Chair Factory burned and not rebuilt.
1890----Fire destroyed entire business section of village and several homes
----------Also Chapman Fishing Lure manufacturing Co. Never replaced
1892----July 27, Theresa Village Fire Department established.
1896----Water service established in village
1897----Sand Hill School became certified high school
1901----Bell Telephone established service in Theresa
1904----Catholic Church built
1905----Women's organization of G.A.R. formed January 5; called Howland Circle.
1906----Theresa Municipal Electric system established and power plant built 1 1/2 miles above village on Indian River.
????----Monument placed in middle of road by Howland Circle of the G.A.R. honoring all soldiers and sailors of the nation.
1910----Carnegie Free Library built
1916----Main and Commercial Streets bricked.
1923----May, kidnappers of Alexanderson boy caught down Indian River.
????----Pagoda constructed on river bank by Bill Corham
1926----R.W.& O. train wreck on the flats
----------Bootleggers caught and shot transporting liquor to Elite Park upriver.
1927----October 27, Santway Park given as gift to residents of village.
1929----Electric power dam built at lower falls and supplied half of village power.
1938----Hoboken school built for junior and senior high.
1945----March 1, last issue of the Theresa Gleaner
1957----High school moved to Indian River Central complex at Philadelphia
1958----Presbyterian annex completed
1961----May 2, last train ran through Theresa
----------New stand pipe constructed for water storage.
----------Substation for NYPA power constructed for service
1970----March 22, Methodists joined with Presbyterian congregation
1971----October 11, Farmers Milling Company building burned
1972----July 8, stone school on Sand Hill burned
1977----January, fire destroyed Frederick funeral home and nearby businesses
----------Village and Town fire departments joined forces and built new fire hall
1978----January, fire destroyed Vock block
1987----Sewer system installed in the village.
1992----November 8, new addition added to Presbyterian Church.
1993----New bridge built by state on Bridge Street
1994----New street, sidewalks and bridge on Mill Street by state
1996----Post office moved into the Wilcox Insurance office.
1997----Steeple removed from unused Methodist Church.
2000----Gilman Park dedicated.
2002----New town barns constructed and town offices moved to old medical building on Riverside Drive.
2003----Dec. 7. fire of undetermined orgin began in rear of 142 -146 Commercial St and spread to the Getman House destroying both
2006----Dec--- Tower and cell receiver erected by Verizon at the Municipal lot top of Piety Hill
2007----Water line laid along Rt 26. Philadelphia to Theresa for new water supply
2008----All new mains laid thru out the village( Ex, Riverside & Park Ave.)update also supply tank painted inside.
2008---- Oct. 15 –Old fire hall and adjacent building was torn down and removed.
2008---- Oct . 23—Fayel Block ( VFW- Hall) torn down and removed to land fill.
2009---- July 27-31—Resurfaced Main St. in Village and La Fargeville Road to RT.37.
2010-----July 6—15—scraped and painted steel under bridge at dam, also repaired Concrete roadway and walk and sealed.
2010-----Sept. 7-15—removed present running surface from intersection of Main and Commercial Streets to Morgan St. and resurfaced by N.Y.S DOT.
2010-----Village resurfaced Pine St.
2010-----Nov. 29—Joint emergency ambulance coverage for townships, Philadelphia, Antwerp, and Theresa.


If you have any questions or comments about this page, please contact County Co-Coordinator Nancy Dixon or Co-Coordinator Bruce Coyne.

Return to Town of Theresa page

Return to Jefferson County Genweb Page

Copyright 2010 Jefferson County NYGenWeb — a member of the NYGenWeb Project

Top